• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doctor Who Discussion - Series 14 episode 4 out now

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd argue that things are scarier when you don't explain anything. Explaining something causes it to lose the mystique, and the explanation is often disappointing compared to what you build up in your mind. Take Hannibal Lecter, Darth Vader, Michael Myers from Halloween, or the Xenomorph from Alien, for example - when those series went into the backstory/creation of those characters, it was seen as disappointing.

As for the election, aside from Gwilliam clearly eager to launch nuclear weapons (with it outright being said that he'd do it at the first opportunity, possibly even at the moment that he got control), there was whatever it was implied that he was doing to Marti. There are presumably limits to what they can show, but it seems like the point is that politicians (or anyone, really) can be charismatic but hide darker sides to themselves.

For me, some of the most unsettling moments in Doctor Who (at least from what I've seen) have happened when the Doctor's response to something is "I don't know", and in this case, these new forces that are in play take that to extremes, removing the Doctor from the universe without warning. It's kind of like the episode Midnight, where they're faced with a force that defies natural order.
I’d say it’s sort of the reverse of midnight with midnight we don’t know what the monster is but we know what it’s doing. Here we learn who the monster is but we don’t know what it’s doing. So it’s not so much as playing on fear of the unknown as going with what exactly is going on here.

as for the second bit that’s what I was saying we only know what he going to do. As implying stuff well the exact same writer in the exact same show was able to imply things a lot heavier in the past and make it more clear

ultimately it comes down to how they do it and here I feel they didn’t do it very well

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I understand you don't like the episode but does the title of the thread itself have to be so opinionated? Feel like that's something that oughta remain neutral.

The Black Omen

Smash Rookie
It was nice seeing Kate again

Overall the episode was very enjoyable but the ending was a letdown. It feels like RTD started writing, had some really brilliant ideas, and just kinda kept writing until he realized he'd overran the 50 minute mark and so just kinda stopped without writing a satisfying conclusion. Still better than Church on Ruby Road, Space Babies, and Devil's Chord combined.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just made it to "World Enough And Time" in my watch-through of modern Who, so I'm nearing the end of Peter Capaldi's run. I really wish they didn't spoil so much in the season and episode trailers.

For the threat of that episode,
the Cybermen are portrayed in a much creepier way than anything that I've seen from them. (to be clear, what I've seen from them has been "Revenge of the Cybermen" from Tom Baker's run and everything from 10-12 so far) The fact that partially-converted Cybermen are repeatedly saying things like "pain" or "kill me", and the doctors who handle the conversion are aware of this but make no effort to actually stop it, gave me the creeps when I was watching this episode, and Bill's fate was a punch to the gut.

It's just a shame that they look like this:

Between the clearly visible human hands, the ski mask face, and what looks like a whole air conditioning system on their chest, the fear factor is lost somewhat, though it's still a bit unsettling to see human faces working beneath the ski-mask-like face. Also, I'm not sure what Mondasian is or why that makes them different from normal Cybermen; I'm guessing it's something from the classic series.

Also, the episode ends with this plot being referred to as "the genesis of the Cybermen". That seems like it's setting the next episode up pretty highly, given how well regarded Genesis Of The Daleks is considered. (the parallels in terms of how it was worded felt like they had to be intentional)

Last edited:

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
I just made it to "World Enough And Time" in my watch-through of modern Who, so I'm nearing the end of Peter Capaldi's run. I really wish they didn't spoil so much in the season and episode trailers.

For the threat of that episode,
the Cybermen are portrayed in a much creepier way than anything that I've seen from them. (to be clear, what I've seen from them has been "Revenge of the Cybermen" from Tom Baker's run and everything from 10-12 so far) The fact that partially-converted Cybermen are repeatedly saying things like "pain" or "kill me", and the doctors who handle the conversion are aware of this but make no effort to actually stop it, gave me the creeps when I was watching this episode, and Bill's fate was a punch to the gut.

It's just a shame that they look like this:

Between the clearly visible human hands, the ski mask face, and what looks like a whole air conditioning system on their chest, the fear factor is lost somewhat, though it's still a bit unsettling to see human faces working beneath the ski-mask-like face. Also, I'm not sure what Mondasian is or why that makes them different from normal Cybermen; I'm guessing it's something from the classic series.
yeah thats how the cybermen looked in their first ever story. A ton of fans believe them to be the scariest form of them cuz its more human than machine, like a bunch of beepers forcing someone to stay alive. I generally agree

The Black Omen

Smash Rookie
Three guesses what my favorite Cyberman design is.

In all seriousness, I think the Mondasian Cybermen are a bit overrated. I mean, The Tenth Planet is one of the all-time greatest Cyberman stories, but they look even goofier there then they did in World Enough and Time. It's just so much. It's still better than the modern designs by a long shot. Trust me, the worst is yet to come.

Gotta love how we're all talking about World Enough and Time and not the episode that just aired today. I haven't seen it yet. Been really busy.

Top Bottom