• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, I finally ordered it...

And it's not coming until at least next week....

I guess this is maybe a good sign, it's selling really well, but at the same time, if the supply issues turn newcomers off from getting the game..... could be a bad thing as well. Although maybe I just ordered from a bad retailer, not sure if other retailers have these issues or not.

Last edited:

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
So my brother was the one who ended up getting me Super Mario RPG for my birthday, and he'll be coming home Saturday after being away for a couple months doing theater work, so to pay him back, and as a welcome home gift, I wanted to get The Thousand Year Door for him.

But instead of a physical copy, I ended up getting a digital copy, but he also has his own Switch, and the digital copy would only show up on our family Switch.

So after I called a Nintendo representative, they said while they don't usually allow refunds for digital purchases, they'll make an exception in this case, and when my confirmation email for that comes in the next few days, I'll try again for a physical copy then.

So, lesson of the day: When you're trying to do something nice for a family member, don't go rushing into the process, if it's something you've never done before. Because this was the first time I tried directly purchasing from Nintendo's website.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, I almost made a similar mistake, when I checked a couple of days ago, the Nintendo website was only selling digital copies of the Paper Mario remake rather than physical and almost got digital instead. (Didn't notice the physical was greyed out at first).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys! Right now, I wish to talk about Geno's chances in Smash Bros.

Nah, just kidding!

But seriously, the game he was originally from, Super Mario RPG, had the additional title, "Legend of the Seven Stars" in the United States. I just want to say that the Seven Stars, or Star Pieces, were all part of one thing, that one thing being the Star Road, so since those Star Pieces were a part of something rather than being independent stars, I don't see how there is supposed to be a legend about them.

Maybe it would have been better if the additional title was "Legend of the Star Road" instead?

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so when I woke up this morning, I found out that our TV wouldn't turn on, and that the Switch wouldn't charge in its dock, which was concerning, because after hooking them up the first time, they haven't been messed around with since.

I thought it may have been continued bad luck, from what happened yesterday, but it turns out the shared outlet they were plugged into just died, because after unplugging, and testing it with my phone charger, it wouldn't charge, but when I tested them all with a different outlet at the other side of the room, they all worked just fine.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Hey guys! Right now, I wish to talk about Geno's chances in Smash Bros.

Nah, just kidding!

But seriously, the game he was originally from, Super Mario RPG, had the additional title, "Legend of the Seven Stars" in the United States. I just want to say that the Seven Stars, or Star Pieces, were all part of one thing, that one thing being the Star Road, so since those Star Pieces were a part of something rather than being independent stars, I don't see how there is supposed to be a legend about them.

Maybe it would have been better if the additional title was "Legend of the Star Road" instead?
My interpretation is that the "Legend of the Seven Stars" isn't the legend of the Star Road in general, but rather the actual plot of the game itself, if you look at it from the perspective of having the story retold to someone generations later, perhaps. Something like,
"This is the legend of how the Star Road was once shattered and split into Seven Stars".

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We started with Star Pieces in SMRPG, Star Spirits in PM64, Crystal Stars in TTYD, and then Pure Hearts in SPM. (And some sticker and paint cr** in the SS games but I don't care about those).

Wonder what will be next (in a hopefully RPG styled game like the first two Paper Marios, not more art supply garbage like in latter games).

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Paper Mario sold 115,649 copies. At a glance, this is bittersweet. It seems like with digital, it'll far surpass most other Paper Mario entries. But looking at what Mario RPG did with 301,334, I was expecting PM to get at least that, especially with being released on the Thursday (where Mario RPG was on the Friday). I felt there was a bit more hype behind PM. I'm at a spot where I don't know how to feel. I've been playing it, and it holds up extremely well. The updates have been very good in my opinion.

I guess it'll be interesting to see where things go from here with Mario RPG's in general. No doubt Mario RPG cleared the first week. Hopefully Paper Mario sales stablizes over the next few weeks. But I won't lie, it's kind of nice to see just how strong Mario RPG was out the gate. I hope that Nintendo sees that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Paper Mario sold 115,649 copies. At a glance, this is bittersweet. It seems like with digital, it'll far surpass most other Paper Mario entries. But looking at what Mario RPG did with 301,334, I was expecting PM to get at least that, especially with being released on the Thursday (where Mario RPG was on the Friday). I felt there was a bit more hype behind PM. I'm at a spot where I don't know how to feel. I've been playing it, and it holds up extremely well. The updates have been very good in my opinion.

I guess it'll be interesting to see where things go from here with Mario RPG's in general. No doubt Mario RPG cleared the first week. Hopefully Paper Mario sales stablizes over the next few weeks. But I won't lie, it's kind of nice to see just how strong Mario RPG was out the gate. I hope that Nintendo sees that.
What's your sources on this?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I believe they're referring to opening weak Japanese sales (from Famitsu), which is certainly important but given the game's strong numbers in Europe and likely decent sales in the US, I'd say TTYD remake's eventual place will be pretty good.

Really it makes sense that the modern Mario RPG did better than Paper Mario 2 in Japan opening week given how beloved the SNES (and the 1996 release) was and how comparatively less popular that the GC (and the 2004 title) was. And of course, it's the inverse with Europe as Seven Stars never came out there so it had less of a legacy in that region while Thousand Year Door was, hence a greater hunger for the remake now.

Top Bottom