• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances MultiVersus Edition: Day 128 - Paul Atreides and Duncan Idaho (Dune)

Do you want me to start locking in the top 14 instead of top 7?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
dunc.png

Chance - 30%/95%/63%. I don't really have a lot to say here. The Dune movies have been very successful and very well received. It isn't Warner's biggest modern franchise (that goes to a certain other girl, from a certain other world), but it's very impressive for a series that was long thought "unfilmable". The Duniverse isn't opposed to crossovers either, there was a fortnite collab around the time Part One released. Really, there are only two reasons we wouldn't get Paul Atredies. One, the game dies before they get around to adding him, which is unfortunately possible. There haven't been any leaks or datamines hinting at him, so I can't give him a very high "coming soon" score. It's not zero, because truth be told the way this game spaces out it's characters is bizarre. Of the four new characters at launch, we had no idea three of them were even being considered. Either they somehow kept them under much tighter lock and key then characters like Beetlejuice and Raven, or they started and finished development after the beta. It's not impossible they rush Paul out the doors in a similar manner. I wouldn't count on it though. The second possiblility is that they pull an Agent Smith and prioritize a side character instead, but I'm not sure if they would do that. Paul isn't the most interesting fighter, but he has some interesting ideas (his Mentat abilities, Weirding Way fighting style, Precience, The Voice). They might do another Dune character at the same time, but it would probably be a Gremlins situation, and the Kwisatz Haderach would still find his way onto the Multiversus roster.

Want - 95%. I've read the first Dune book and watched the first movie (due to strange circumstances I haven't watched Part 2 yet), and I enjoyed both of them. I'd love to see content from the series in this game. Paul isn't my number one most wanted, but Arrakis is absolutely my most wanted stage. The setting and concepts in the books are so unique, and having Paul interact with characters from other series would be really fun to see.
Dune takes place in the deep, deep future. I'm fairly certain it's about ten thousand years from now, give or take. Paul has ancestral memory, so he won't be a complete fish out of water, but I still think it would be intresting to see him interact with characters who from his perspective might as well be cavemen. Aliens also don't really exist in dune, so seeing him react to Marvin and Superman would be neat. Robots are canonically illegal, so I wouldn't be suprised if he was actually terrified of the Iron Giant. And lastly, going back to the meme, I think him and Garnet would ****ing hate eachother. You have the alien thing, kind of the robot thing, but most importantly - future vision. Garnet used her future vision to change fate and stop a tyrant, Precience "forced" Paul to commit a mega-jihad. Those interactions would be fun.

ᑐᑌᑎᑕAN IDAHO

Chance - 2%/40%/21%

For those who have only watched the movies, choosing Duncan Idaho as the second Dune rep would be odd. Someone like Chani, Lady Jessica, or Baron Harkonnen would probably make more sense. Revealing why he would be a good choice requires spoilers for the other books in the series - potentially including Messiah, which will be what Villeneuve's third movie adapts. If you want a relatively low spoiler answer - he comes back in the fourth book. If you want a longer answer (but still really abridged) ...
Duncan Idaho is thoroughly killed in Part 1, it's not a fakeout. However, in the second book, a faction opposed to Paul's rise as emperor create a clone of Duncan. The clone has no memories of his previous life, is trained as a Mentat, and "given" to Paul to emotionally torment him and eventually kill him. However, the clone gets overwhelmed trying to kill Paul and regains his memories and they become buddies again. The second Duncan shows up in Children of Dune (Book 3), married to Paul's sister, and he dies halfway through that book. That's only the beginning for mister Idaho, though. In God Emperor Dune (Book 4), Leto II (Paul's son and also a worm) has a Duncan clone in his service for basically every moment of his three thousand year reign. Most of the Duncans try to kill Leto, but they fail and worm god kills him and orders a new one. Leto is doing this because he has super future vision and a plan to save humanity forever, and Duncan is both an essential part of that and a good barometer of how close he is to the goal. After about Duncan 75, Leto knows that his golden path is safe and lets Duncan kill him. Duncan and his new wife celebrate by having literal hundreds of babies. This Duncan presumably dies of natural causes. Dunes 5 and 6 take place a thousand years later, and for some god forsaken reason they keep making Duncan Idahos. I don't know a lot about these books, all I know is that this Duncan gains the memories of every Duncan that ever Dunked and is so hot he makes a woman spontaneously orgasm (dune gets weird).

To summarize - Very important in Dune 2, Kinda important in Dune 3, pretty much the main character of 4, and a side character in 5 and 6. I've only read the first book, but I've spoiled myself pretty thoroughly - I might still have gotten some of this wrong.

The tricky thing with Duncan is that his greatest advantage, staying relevant throughout the entire series, might not be relevant. Villeneuve has stated that he intends to quit at Messiah, the second book. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner and Legendary try to find someone to do some of the other books, but there's a chance they quit while they're ahead (things get weird fast). He also wouldn't be that unique from Paul. Maybe.

I took a melatonin before writing this so i'm struggling to keep writing. I might touch this up tomorrow. Noms to gwimbly.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
View attachment 390440
Chance - 30%/95%/63%. I don't really have a lot to say here. The Dune movies have been very successful and very well received. It isn't Warner's biggest modern franchise (that goes to a certain other girl, from a certain other world), but it's very impressive for a series that was long thought "unfilmable". The Duniverse isn't opposed to crossovers either, there was a fortnite collab around the time Part One released. Really, there are only two reasons we wouldn't get Paul Atredies. One, the game dies before they get around to adding him, which is unfortunately possible. There haven't been any leaks or datamines hinting at him, so I can't give him a very high "coming soon" score. It's not zero, because truth be told the way this game spaces out it's characters is bizarre. Of the four new characters at launch, we had no idea three of them were even being considered. Either they somehow kept them under much tighter lock and key then characters like Beetlejuice and Raven, or they started and finished development after the beta. It's not impossible they rush Paul out the doors in a similar manner. I wouldn't count on it though. The second possiblility is that they pull an Agent Smith and prioritize a side character instead, but I'm not sure if they would do that. Paul isn't the most interesting fighter, but he has some interesting ideas (his Mentat abilities, Weirding Way fighting style, Precience, The Voice). They might do another Dune character at the same time, but it would probably be a Gremlins situation, and the Kwisatz Haderach would still find his way onto the Multiversus roster.

Want - 95%. I've read the first Dune book and watched the first movie (due to strange circumstances I haven't watched Part 2 yet), and I enjoyed both of them. I'd love to see content from the series in this game. Paul isn't my number one most wanted, but Arrakis is absolutely my most wanted stage. The setting and concepts in the books are so unique, and having Paul interact with characters from other series would be really fun to see.
Dune takes place in the deep, deep future. I'm fairly certain it's about ten thousand years from now, give or take. Paul has ancestral memory, so he won't be a complete fish out of water, but I still think it would be intresting to see him interact with characters who from his perspective might as well be cavemen. Aliens also don't really exist in dune, so seeing him react to Marvin and Superman would be neat. Robots are canonically illegal, so I wouldn't be suprised if he was actually terrified of the Iron Giant. And lastly, going back to the meme, I think him and Garnet would ****ing hate eachother. You have the alien thing, kind of the robot thing, but most importantly - future vision. Garnet used her future vision to change fate and stop a tyrant, Precience "forced" Paul to commit a mega-jihad. Those interactions would be fun.

ᑐᑌᑎᑕAN IDAHO

Chance - 2%/40%/21%

For those who have only watched the movies, choosing Duncan Idaho as the second Dune rep would be odd. Someone like Chani, Lady Jessica, or Baron Harkonnen would probably make more sense. Revealing why he would be a good choice requires spoilers for the other books in the series - potentially including Messiah, which will be what Villeneuve's third movie adapts. If you want a relatively low spoiler answer - he comes back in the fourth book. If you want a longer answer (but still really abridged) ...
Duncan Idaho is thoroughly killed in Part 1, it's not a fakeout. However, in the second book, a faction opposed to Paul's rise as emperor create a clone of Duncan. The clone has no memories of his previous life, is trained as a Mentat, and "given" to Paul to emotionally torment him and eventually kill him. However, the clone gets overwhelmed trying to kill Paul and regains his memories and they become buddies again. The second Duncan shows up in Children of Dune (Book 3), married to Paul's sister, and he dies halfway through that book. That's only the beginning for mister Idaho, though. In God Emperor Dune (Book 4), Leto II (Paul's son and also a worm) has a Duncan clone in his service for basically every moment of his three thousand year reign. Most of the Duncans try to kill Leto, but they fail and worm god kills him and orders a new one. Leto is doing this because he has super future vision and a plan to save humanity forever, and Duncan is both an essential part of that and a good barometer of how close he is to the goal. After about Duncan 75, Leto knows that his golden path is safe and lets Duncan kill him. Duncan and his new wife celebrate by having literal hundreds of babies. This Duncan presumably dies of natural causes. Dunes 5 and 6 take place a thousand years later, and for some god forsaken reason they keep making Duncan Idahos. I don't know a lot about these books, all I know is that this Duncan gains the memories of every Duncan that ever Dunked and is so hot he makes a woman spontaneously orgasm (dune gets weird).

To summarize - Very important in Dune 2, Kinda important in Dune 3, pretty much the main character of 4, and a side character in 5 and 6. I've only read the first book, but I've spoiled myself pretty thoroughly - I might still have gotten some of this wrong.

The tricky thing with Duncan is that his greatest advantage, staying relevant throughout the entire series, might not be relevant. Villeneuve has stated that he intends to quit at Messiah, the second book. I wouldn't be surprised if Warner and Legendary try to find someone to do some of the other books, but there's a chance they quit while they're ahead (things get weird fast). He also wouldn't be that unique from Paul. Maybe.

I took a melatonin before writing this so i'm struggling to keep writing. I might touch this up tomorrow. Noms to gwimbly.
Please stop saying the game is likely going to die, it's starting to annoy me.

Top Bottom