• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
Classic Mode was a terrible idea to bring back. I can get into a match with a cpu anytime i want to.
Beating classic mode with every character is one of my favorite parts of Smash, and besides it’s much more fun to have an incentive to fight some CPU’s rather than just awkwardly getting into a match.

Also without classic mode, bosses would have a much more diminished role even if they introduced a boss battles mode and that just feels lame to me

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In regard to Elise from Sonic 06, more than anything else, the key problem with her is that the game asks a lot of the audience in investing in her character and never really gets around to effectively justifying that.

There's really nothing inherently awful about her, but there's also little really make her a standout character, which is a problem when a third of the game is oriented around her relationship with Sonic. Her design is something you'd see in a generic JRPG, she's not really that deep emotionally, and she lacks so little agency that rescuing her makes up the bulk of Sonic's plot. The novelty of her as a non-Eggman human having a dynamic with Sonic is about all she has going for her and even that only amounts to so much given how pat the interactions between the two end up being.

I think a lot of the backlash against Elise is one way or another connected to this. Now the design clash of her vs the rest of the cast didn't help, and most of the Western audience at the time was always going to laugh and/or cringe at their faux flirtation given the differing regional opinions on human/anthropomorphic animal romance. However, I think those problems were very exacerbated by the aforementioned failure of the game to earn its emotional moments with her. For many fans, if they weren't going to be engaged by what she does in the narrative (and the gameplay itself not being nearly strong enough at least distract from the dubious story) the only thing left to do is snicker at the visual silliness of her kissing Sonic and lament that the title spends so much time on her.

I'm reminded a bit of Adam Malkovich from Metroid Other M, another character that a game asks the audience to really take in and respect while utterly failing to make him interesting, likable, or remotely worthy to the deference Samus gives him. In both cases, the failure to effectively realize the concept of what they were going for amounts to audiences either rolling their eyes /laughing at with Elise or just outright despising their existence with Adam. In her case, it's no surprise she ended up symbolizing 06 more than the likes of Silver (lucky him) because her as the bold new idea for the Sonic series that completely fails due to botched execution sums up that game so perfectly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In regard to Elise from Sonic 06, more than anything else, the key problem with her is that the game asks a lot of the audience in investing in her character and never really gets around to effectively justifying that.

There's really nothing inherently awful about her, but there's also little really make her a standout character, which is a problem when a third of the game is oriented around her relationship with Sonic. Her design is something you'd see in a generic JRPG, she's not really that deep emotionally, and she lacks so little agency that rescuing her makes up the bulk of Sonic's plot. The novelty of her as a non-Eggman human having a dynamic with Sonic is about all she has going for her and even that only amounts to so much given how pat the interactions between the two end up being.

I think a lot of the backlash against Elise is one way or another connected to this. Now the design clash of her vs the rest of the cast didn't help, and most of the Western audience at the time was always going to laugh and/or cringe at their faux flirtation given the differing regional opinions on human/anthropomorphic animal romance. However, I think those problems were very exacerbated by the aforementioned failure of the game to earn its emotional moments with her. For many fans, if they weren't going to be engaged by what she does in the narrative (and the gameplay itself not being nearly strong enough at least distract from the dubious story) the only thing left to do is snicker at the visual silliness of her kissing Sonic and lament that the title spends so much time on her.

I'm reminded a bit of Adam Malkovich from Metroid Other M, another character that a game asks the audience to really take in and respect while utterly failing to make him interesting, likable, or remotely worthy to the deference Samus gives him. In both cases, the failure to effectively realize the concept of what they were going for amounts to audiences either rolling their eyes /laughing at with Elise or just outright despising their existence with Adam. In her case, it's no surprise she ended up symbolizing 06 more than the likes of Silver (lucky him) because her as the bold new idea for the Sonic series that completely fails due to botched execution sums up that game so perfectly.
there is a difference in that Adam was a character we already knew about going into the game

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
there is a difference in that Adam was a character we already knew about going into the game
And even that did little to curb the broader distaste for the character among much of the Metroid fanbase. Heck, I saw some even say it retroactively hurt Fusion because it made Samus' general fondness for him in that title seem less believable given how he acts in Other M.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And even that did little to curb the broader distaste for the character among much of the Metroid fanbase. Heck, I saw some even say it retroactively hurt Fusion because it made Samus' general fondness for him in that title seem less believable given how he acts in Other M.
yes a classic case of not living up to the promise

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think that Disney's, Marvel's, Star Wars' and Fox's platform fighters should be separate games

crossovers like disney infinity that they'll place them all on an equal footing even though marvel and star wars are each a single franchise where as disney and fox are multiple franchises. plus it would mean that we most likely only get the big names who appear in all the crossovers. if they have their own game then the smaller characters have a better shot. and the same is true of disney and fox, characters from some their smaller franchises would have better chances as well.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really hate how everyone is trying to say "Nintendo was right" just because they're sticking to more restrained scale when every other company is facing layoffs, cancellations, delays, and other troubles. “Being too far ahead of your time is indistinguishable from being wrong.”

I'm not saying that it doesn't work mind you. I'd say it has lead to a more consistent, sustained level of success more-or-less. But that's not the same as "being right".

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna be real here. I don’t really want a 3D Mario Maker right now.

A lot of people insist upon it, but there’s still a lot to do with 2D Mario. We just had Wonder, so there’s a massive incentive to let people make courses in that style.

Or they could play the nostalgia card. No, not SMB2. But NSMBDS instead. Yeah, people who grew up with that game are old enough to feel nostalgia for it. It’s different enough from the NSMBU style to feel unique.

Quillion

Smash Hero

A lot of people insist upon it, but there’s still a lot to do with 2D Mario. We just had Wonder, so there’s a massive incentive to let people make courses in that style.

Or they could play the nostalgia card. No, not SMB2. But NSMBDS instead. Yeah, people who grew up with that game are old enough to feel nostalgia for it. It’s different enough from the NSMBU style to feel unique.
If there's going to be a 3D Mario Maker, it needs to coexist alongside a separate 2D Mario Maker. Also, I don't imagine it being anything other than the Super 3D games mechanically (though also incorporating other styles).

I'd love to see the styles be "consolidated" though. Consolidate NSMB1, Wii, and U into one style with three "subs", or make NSMB1 its own style while Wii and U are subs of another. Either way, do the same with SMB1 and 3's NES and All-Stars variants (c'mon Nintendo, stop ignoring the All-Stars styles!).

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This also serves as an unpopular media opinion in general, but until Sakurai had his 9999999999999999999999th really bad take, this time on the topic of Dolby Surround, I had never actually considered that people remotely disliked opening logos, even the long unskippable variety, in any actual sincerity. I've always loved them - might just be a case of me growing up autistic and therefore having the nigh-inevitable "logo kid" phase, but still. Sakurai's Dolby story is kinda icky for other reasons (refusing to work with a company that would objectively improve your product because you don't want to give them proper contract-required credit is gross, even if they're a faceless corporation), but that's something that just kinda stood out to me.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
I like the concept but the timed hits system of Super Mario RPG is kind of weak in execution when there’s not really a consistent visual indication of when to time attacks or even much visual feedback for it. The way it’s done in the Mario & Luigi games is almost endlessly better to me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even as a Mario RPG superfan, I certainly say that the timed hits element was improved in Mario & Luigi (though arguably taken to mini-game excess in later titles) and the equipable items system perfectly refined via the first two Paper Mario entries. SMRPG's biggest strength is its soundtrack, excellent tone, and still novel "Mario by way of Final Fantasy" aesthetics/character design. In that latter regard I'd say the 1996 game still manages one of the best balances of having NPCs/enemies just out there enough to stand out while still not sticking out like a sore thumb in a Mario setting; a balance that Paper Mario itself would struggle to maintain at times.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
...a balance that Paper Mario itself would struggle to maintain at times.
So true. Sticker Star-onward with Miyamoto's mandates go to far in one direction, Super Paper Mario in the other.

I want Paper Mario to stand on its own, but not to the point that it feels like a dumping ground for weird ideas that should be its own IP.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I also dont get why people specifically want a 3d MArio Maker instead of a:
2d Zelda, MEtroid or Kirby one?
Im not saying it wouldnt be ccol to do 3d stuff (I mean i love disney infinity for that very reason)
But i would love being able to be creative with my two favourites (Zelda and Kirby) Even more!

Top Bottom