• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Job 18: Duster from Mother 3 (2006)

1716261448461.png

Art courtesy of Curiomatic's Mother 3 tribute.

By now Mother has been here from the beginning, didn't get a newcomer last game (unlike most of its contemporaries... everyone except Metroid for now) and is finally seeing a groundbreaking new title years in the making. Well, as we all know, Brawl blessed us with the addition of Lucas. Mother 3 is my favorite game and without his addition I wonder if I'd have ever been as motivated to play it. But as much as I appreciate that addition, part of me is curious what else could have been done here. After all, Ness and Lucas are pretty similar. What if, provided Ness returns, Smash felt more compelled to try something different than what we've already established? And loosened up a bit in contrast to its typical habit of simply choosing the main protagonist?

Enter Duster - a trained thief with a multitude of crafty tools. And he can play bass, which is rad. His wall staples can grant him a unique recovery option and wall cling, as well as operating as a couple sharp close range weapons. He's also a master of kicks, his default attack style in the game. His smoke bomb seems pretty self explanatory, perhaps something of a getaway tool or recovery? And other quirky tools such as his Hypno-Pendulum and Tickle Stick would make for interesting debuff moves. Not to mention... Rope Snake! Yeah, Duster is the actual user of Rope Snake in Mother 3. Lucas just borrows him for Smash.

Even though I love Lucas dearly, I think the Mother series has a wealth of amazing characters and fun, quirky fighting styles that simply adding another PSI kid won't do justice. Duster represents the average joe of Mother, someone who can't rely on magic and has to use his own wit and craftiness to keep up. And honestly, with the exclusion of Sheik and likely exclusion of Zero Suit Samus, we could use a quick character more seasoned in a traditional martial arts style / ninjutsu approach. I think he's got fantastic potential and is fulfilling a niche we haven't touched upon just yet. Let's give him a chance!

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Ashley(WWG)0.png

Ashley
Wario has been in since 64 here, and while he could be our Yoshi (or IRL Falcon) and never get a second pick, I think he has some great picks that could be chosen for a second rep. It's likely our Wario would be based more on Wario Land so why not give Warioware a rep. Ashley is a really popular character who'd have a fun gameplay style with all her spells. She could ride around on her broom, then fighters into frogs, and more.

Last edited:

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
1200px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png

Alice
I know we should probably get Ridley first but Metroid Prime Hunters just came out and it's possible they might want to push this guy considering how they seem to want him to be the new villain of the franchise if we go off the ending of Prime 3. He could have a cool moveset with his sword arm.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Rachel (Advance Wars Dual Strike - 2005)

Here me out. Doesnt make any sense over Andy, Sami, or Nell now but back then there is some logic. Like how she is the sister of Nell & has a similar design to Andy kind of meshing 2 popular choices. Days of Ruin is probably out too late (2008) meaning a rep from Dual Strike would be logical (plus game didnt comletely overhaul cast as much giving it better connection to full series.

Nintendo Wars in general at this point has many entries spanning most Nintendo platforms & has seen decent success especially after going international right before its slightly (at the time) more popular sister series at Intelligent Systems Fire Emblem which is already on the roster.

Northsouthmap

Smash Champion
View attachment 389713
Ashley
Wario has been in since 64 here, and while he could be our Yoshi (or IRL Falcon) and never get a second pick, I think he has some great picks that could be chosen for a second rep. It's likely our Wario would be based more on Wario Land so why not give Warioware a rep. Ashley is a really popular character who'd have a fun gameplay style with all her spells. She could ride around on her broom, then fighters into frogs, and more.
She first appeared in 2004, which makes her illegible

Top Bottom