• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I genuinely cannot believe they are doubling down on the stupid perk system. Fighting games should, under no circumstance, offer pay to win options. If I ever tackle Multiversus in a video again, it will likely not be in a particularly positive light.

Statistically speaking, if one perk setup becomes competitive meta, that makes it unfair to anyone who does not have access to the perk. And making people grind to make their characters better is just corporate greed ****. God, I hate this company. I know it's likely not PFG's fault, but even despite some great character design and roster potential - I really wish this game was owned by a less scummy company than Warner Bros.
How are perks pay to win?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
How are perks pay to win?
Because you can pay to reduce the grind to unlock them and they give your character a statistical advantage. In the original release they were a number of blatantly overpowered perks, and because each fighter tracks level ups separately, the amount of grinding without paying to unlock the meta perks could be astronomical. Not to mention every character started with access to no perks at all. Yeah, they say each character will start with a full set, but signature ones change the way moves function or occasionally give them new moves outright, and if those changes improve the character and are locked behind tedious grinding that can be circumvented by paying, that's pay to win.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Still no character reveals yet, but we got a variant reveal that’s making a lot of people happy on other media platforms.

AfterlightImage.jpeg

Honestly I… like this costume. And I’m surprised it wasn’t in the Beta.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Because you can pay to reduce the grind to unlock them and they give your character a statistical advantage. In the original release they were a number of blatantly overpowered perks, and because each fighter tracks level ups separately, the amount of grinding without paying to unlock the meta perks could be astronomical. Not to mention every character started with access to no perks at all. Yeah, they say each character will start with a full set, but signature ones change the way moves function or occasionally give them new moves outright, and if those changes improve the character and are locked behind tedious grinding that can be circumvented by paying, that's pay to win.
I don't think perks was that bad, I honestly didn't even know you could pay to unlock them because you could literally have all of them in a few hours. I do agree that it was annoying to try a new character and have no perks, but you unlock them so fast that it didn't matter that much to me. On that aspect, I would say the game was actually fairly generous compare to other free to play game.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I don't think perks was that bad, I honestly didn't even know you could pay to unlock them because you could literally have all of them in a few hours. I do agree that it was annoying to try a new character and have no perks, but you unlock them so fast that it didn't matter that much to me. On that aspect, I would say the game was actually fairly generous compare to other free to play game.
One issue late into the beta was they released an update that made it harder to earn perks through grinding by increasing the length of time and ramping up the difficulty it takes to get them. It’s fairly obvious why.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
With all due respect, do not mistake "less scummy" for generosity. It wasn't "a few hours" I played plenty and still didn't have everyone's perks in the entire time it was up. I had maybe four or five characters maxed out. Combined with this V

One issue late into the beta was they released an update that made it harder to earn perks through grinding by increasing the length of time and ramping up the difficulty it takes to get them. It’s fairly obvious why.
It's blatantly clear that they want the game to have pay to win elements. Morty's perks were, iirc, notoriously overpowered. Either the perks need to all be available for every character at launch, or they shouldn't have them at all.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I genuinely cannot believe they are doubling down on the stupid perk system. Fighting games should, under no circumstance, offer pay to win options. If I ever tackle Multiversus in a video again, it will likely not be in a particularly positive light.

Statistically speaking, if one perk setup becomes competitive meta, that makes it unfair to anyone who does not have access to the perk. And making people grind to make their characters better is just corporate greed ****. God, I hate this company. I know it's likely not PFG's fault, but even despite some great character design and roster potential - I really wish this game was owned by a less scummy company than Warner Bros.
Honestly on the one hand I think that Signature Perks specifically are a pretty cool concept that kinda shakes up the old "custom moves" thing in ways that can really switch up how a character plays, and I think that brings about a lot of potential, but I'm absolutely agreed with you on thinking that Perks being a monetized aspect of the game just isn't a good choice both in terms of competitive advantages and in terms of just outright player fairness.

I mean, I say this as someone who's already a little iffy on other Perks here and there (tbh, if everyone just had three Signatures I think that'd be just fine, other... "rogue-like"??? buffs feel kind of pointless) but it does feel like a really annoying choice for them to use that as a monetizing system while also trying to promote MVS as a semi-competitive game.

Especially with this in mind. Obviously the game's F2P so there were always going to be some elements like this, but I naively hoped they'd stick to stuff like cosmetics as opposed to gameplay-altering matters or deliberately putting the actual roster on rotation. Imo when people think up a "live service platfighter" a lot of people imagine more stuff like continual support and the like, as opposed to like, "Oh yeah, you can pay us to get outright buffs to your character's speed AND homing projectiles" or something.

I think MVS has a lot of cool ideas and it's a great opportunity to see what devs seemingly unfamiliar with the genre are willing to do with it (given a lot of the platfighter space is trying to just recreate Melee in many ways), but it's kind of a shame that it's tied to what it is in some ways. WB's characters and IP are a goldmine to pull from but actually working with WB just seems really hellish, especially in their current state. I just hope that MVS does at least decently, or at the very least, that some of its concepts are explored further in the rest of the scene.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Random question for y'all that I think would be pretty fun to see people's responses to.

A hot-button request for MultiVersus has been Ben 10, and it's easy to see why, what with how much popularity and moveset potential he'd bring. That said - if PFG were to include him, but weren't able to include an alien-switching mechanic of any kind (whether akin to Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, or a stance-change akin to Pokémon Trainer / Aegis), which single alien would you pick to represent him by in a playable role? (As in, his intro animation has him transform into that form, and he remains in it for the rest of the match.)

I'd personally opt for Echo Echo. Biased on it being my favourite alien, but the combination of sound-based attacks and cloning bring a ton of potential for a really mobile, low-damage / high-knockback character with a hella unique design. Plus, sonic forcefields and walls of sound would make for a really interesting element of stage control if they wanted to go in that direction.

Last edited:
Random question for y'all that I think would be pretty fun to see people's responses to.

A hot-button request for MultiVersus has been Ben 10, and it's easy to see why, what with how much popularity and moveset potential he'd bring. That said - if PFG were to include him, but weren't able to include an alien-switching mechanic of any kind (whether akin to Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion, or a stance-change akin to Pokémon Trainer / Aegis), which single alien would you pick to represent him by in a playable role? (As in, his intro animation has him transform into that form, and he remains in it for the rest of the match.)

I'd personally opt for Echo Echo. Biased on it being my favourite alien, but the combination of sound-based attacks and cloning bring a ton of potential for a really mobile, low-damage / high-knockback character with a hella unique design. Plus, sonic forcefields and walls of sound would make for a really interesting element of stage control if they wanted to go in that direction.
I think we have enough Bruisers and Assassins in the game, so let's go with a different class for Ben's moveset.

I would choose Heatblast as a Ranged type or Diamondhead as a Tank/Support hybrid type of fighter. With Heatblast, I see a heavy focus on fireballs and magma trapping, whereas I can see temporary platforms and buff shields with Diamondhead.

The fact that I didn't have just one choice shows how varied Ben's moveset would be. But let's face it, it'll be Four Arms as a Bruiser.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Much as I hate to say it, I'd rather just not have Ben if he's forced into just one alien, because that's not Ben 10, that's that alien. At minimum, he needs three. I personally still like the idea I presented in the OG video I did, with 5 aliens each representing a different class. You can do all OG or a composite set, but I want Ben 10 for all of him, not just one part of his unlimited potential.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I agree with Capybara that I'd rather not have Ben 10 having only one transformations, it feels kinda pointless, but if I really had to choose I'd go with XLR8. I think it's one of the most iconic transformation and it could have a very fast play style.

Much as I hate to say it, I'd rather just not have Ben if he's forced into just one alien, because that's not Ben 10, that's that alien. At minimum, he needs three. I personally still like the idea I presented in the OG video I did, with 5 aliens each representing a different class. You can do all OG or a composite set, but I want Ben 10 for all of him, not just one part of his unlimited potential.
Agreed. I was merely giving the prompt some leeway by answering it.

Faso115

Smash Lord
3 weeks and 1 day before release and a whole lotta nothing character wise.

Boy if only we had more than 2 months to space our reveals and content....if we had any.

Btw, the Gizmo v Superman twitter post is getting lambasted for the slow and floaty gameplay.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Double posting on purpose:

The official Discord server appears to have started an ARG. The way it works is as follows:

1. They provide clues.

Clues:

1. Be Kind. Rewind. Scooby Doo. Superman.
  2. 082622 Jinkies
  3. 108 00:03:59.00 Fin and Jake Adventuring Incorporated
  4. 34149414 118337852 The Daily Planet Office
  5. Mistakes were made. Or were they? Guzmo

2. Enter guesses in the channel designed for this (not case sensitive)
3. If correct, players will be notified and the next clue will be revealed.
4. 10 total clues

I’ll be editing this post as the clues come out.

As for my personal guess, this is the lead up to a trailer.

Edit: I’m also going to provide the answer in a spoiler next to the clue once correct.

Edit 2: If correct, clues will be provided on the hour every hour. So this could take a while. Also no clues will be provided after 7pm PDT. They will resume at 9 am PDT the following day.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Heard the 12th for a trailer. is how true that is
Doubt it. The 12th is a Sunday and not counting the NHL game we generally don’t get news on a Sunday.

Maybe at the end of the guessing game we might get news?

By the way for those wondering about how the codes are solved, the answers are hidden in various promos, including those from various testing periods and post Road to Launch vid.

Edit: And in media related to the franchises Clue 3 came from an episode of Adventure Time

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It's amazing how quickly the codes are being done and yet they're still intent on sticking to the hour gap between clues.
Move it along????
You are 3 weeks from re-launch, you can't **** about.

Faso115

Smash Lord
They are taking a break at midnight so expect something cool tomorrow.

This is MVS tho that "Cool" thing could be very whelming at best.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Here’s a completely random update regarding codes 4 and 5.
The community took a half hour to solve clue 4.
It took literal seconds to solve clue 5.

Top Bottom