• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Piggybacking off of this, Melee Mario is honestly my favorite depiction of Mario not only in Smash, but maybe even ever. He's determined, yes, but still chipper and expressive as always. Compare to Brawl-and-beyond Mario where he's just kind of angry all the time. Not anywhere near as appealing nor true to the character.
I suppose it ties into my bigger issue of people wanting "canon, canon, canon" all the time in Smash while leaving no room for changes that better adapt something to a different environment.

Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting canon references, but if it overtakes the portrayal to the point of not fitting the new environment, it becomes a problem. It's an issue that encompasses even movie adaptations of comic superheroes. There needs to be a balance.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it ties into my bigger issue of people wanting "canon, canon, canon" all the time in Smash while leaving no room for changes that better adapt something to a different environment.

Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting canon references, but if it overtakes the portrayal to the point of not fitting the new environment, it becomes a problem. It's an issue that encompasses even movie adaptations of comic superheroes. There needs to be a balance.
Balance is key here. Mario and co. should be cheerful enough to be themselves, but also be serious enough to fit in with Smash.

I think the newer Mario characters get this right. Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Daisy, Piranha Plant, and even K. Rool all feel cheery enough, but with that bit of seriousness that lets them fit in.

It’s the ones who originated in 64 and Melee that don’t feel quite cheery enough. Specifically Mario, Bowser, and Donkey Kong could do with a brighter attitude, even if only slightly. They fit in too much, in a way.

It’s all about balance.

Quillion

Smash Hero
"Serious enough to fit in Smash"? Why should Smash be serious in the first place?

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
The characters need at least some measure of acting like they're in a martial arts match rather than acting blissfully unaware a lot of the time.

Note: "martial arts match", not "deathmatch". The former leaves room for friendly competitive spirit at least.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I love Brawl.

that game is butt ass fugly
It sticks out in my mind alongside Sonic 4 Ep 1 as one of the "why did I think this looked good?" games.

I'm not a big fan of Melee's art style either, but at least a lot of Nintendo's modern designs revisit its more "restrained" approach to detail with better execution, so I'll give it that.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
It sticks out in my mind alongside Sonic 4 Ep 1 as one of the "why did I think this looked good?" games.

I'm not a big fan of Melee's art style either, but at least a lot of Nintendo's modern designs revisit its more "restrained" approach to detail with better execution, so I'll give it that.
To be fair, back when the first trailer dropped, my friends and I thought it was mind blowing. Especially the stages and Link's design.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
"Serious enough to fit in Smash"? Why should Smash be serious in the first place?

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
I think “serious enough to fit in Smash” is awkward wording but it is a fighting game so I think there’s a certain degree of taking the battle seriously that Smash characters should have, like it’s a competition.

I do think Mario is too angry in Smash but I don’t personally think it would be a good thing tonally if he was smiling in literally all attacks, at least in games after Smash 64. Not saying it’s what you want, it seems like I agree with you on most points, I just think there should be a balance. I do think most of the newer Smash characters fit this principle well though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom