• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 MLG 2010 Pro Circuit: Q&A / FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
Hey, my name is Dan. I've been around Major League Gaming since 2004, and I am currently in charge of the Community Out-Reach program. This is a new position where I will basically search for threads on Smashboards.com that pertain to MLG or the upcoming events, and I will answer any questions anybody may have. So if you have any questions about MLG or the upcoming event in Orlando, ask away and I will answer them in a timely manner.

I will be creating a FAQ of all the questions I have seen in the first couple of posts.

Please use this thread to ask your question and I will answer them in a timely manner.

Before you ask a question, please make sure to read through the FAQ portion of the thread.

FAQ

Where can I learn more about the MLG Pro Circuit events for Super Smash Brothers Brawl?
Please go here: http://pro-circuit.mlgpro.com/pro-circuit/2010/orlando/super-smash-bros-brawl-1v1/how-it-works

What are the settings and stage list?
Please go here: http://pro-circuit.mlgpro.com/pro-circuit/2010/orlando/super-smash-bros-brawl-1v1/rules-settings

What are the TV Settings?
The TVs are set to 480p, and they are connected to the Wiis using component cables.

What are the prizes?
Regular Season Competitions

1st = $2,500
2nd = $1,500
3rd = $1,000
4th = $700
5th = $500
6th = $350
7th = $250
8th = $200

National Championship Competition

1st = $12,500
2nd = $7,500
3rd = $5,000
4th = $3,500
5th = $2,500
6th = $1,750
7th = $1,250
8th = $1,000

Where will the Pro Circuit competitions be held for 2010?
  1. Orlando, FL - April 16th-18th
  2. Columbus, OH - June 4th-6th
  3. Raleigh, NC - August 27th-29th
  4. Washington DC - October 15th-17th
  5. Dallas, TX (Championships) - November 5th-7th

How many players can register?
Open Brackets will support as many as 256 Players.

Where can I register?
Registration will be announced on MLGPro.com. Registration on the MLGPro.com is for the Singles event only. Registration typically opens around a month prior to the event. To register, go to the MLGStore: https://secure.mlgpro.com/store/[/quote]

What do I need to do after I have purchased my player pass?
It is very important that everybody go to www.mlgpro.com/teambuilder as soon as possible.

Once there, please input your Date of Birth, State, and then select continue.

If you are under 18, please print out and have your parents or guardians sign the parental consent form. You should bring this to the event at check-in.

After this, you must input your Contact Information (Name and Phone number). After you have done that, please proceed, and then confirm your player pass.

The Parental Consent form can also be found here: http://media.mlgpro.com/site/forms/2010_Parental_Consent_Form.pdf

How much is a player pass?
A Player Pass is 35$.

What is the format?
The pass you purchase online is for the singles competition which takes place Friday and Saturday of the event weekend. It will be a bracket.

Is there going to be pool play?
No, there will be no pool play. It will be bracket only.

Will there be a 2v2 competition?
Yes, there will be a 2v2 competition on the Sunday of the Event Weekend. Registration for this event will be 10$ a person, and registration will be on-site.

Do I need to register for a singles pass if I only want to play in the 2v2 competition?
Players won’t need to have participated in the SSBB 1v1 Event in order to participate in the SSBB 2v2 Event, but it will go a long way towards ensuring a spot. The 2v2 Event will only support 64 Teams and we will have more than 128 Players in the 1v1 Event. We will be offering spots in the 2v2 Event to the most highest placing 1v1 Players. So, someone who didn’t participate in the 1v1 Event and Players who played poorly in the 1v1 Event might not be able to play in the 2v2 Event unless others decide that they don’t want to play.

Are wiimotes allowed?
No, wireless controllers are not permitted, thus players are not permitted to use Wiimotes.

How will seeding work?
Players will be seeded using the following criteria, in this order: SSBB Pro Circuit Rank Points and SSBB Online Qualifier Rank Points. Ties will be broken using the next available criterion, or randomly if necessary. Players with no SSBB Rank Points will be seeded randomly. No Players will have SSBB Rank Points to seed the 1v1 Event until the 2nd Pro Circuit Competition.

Will there be Pro Players?
The top 16 Players, determined by SSBB Pro Circuit Rank Points immediately following each Pro Circuit Competition, starting after the second 2010 Pro Circuit Competition, will earn Pro Status. Ties will be broken by each Player’s Ranking in the most recent Event.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Although I do understand the reason myself, the banning of wireless controllers creates a lot of backlash and the reason is not understood by many. Could you give a brief explanation of why they're banned, that we could use as a reference?

MLG_Deimos

Although I do understand the reason myself, the banning of wireless controllers creates a lot of backlash and the reason is not understood by many. Could you give a brief explanation of why they're banned, that we could use as a reference?
Yes, instead of just re-posting the information, I will post what JV and Clap (SVP of League Ops) posted on here over the past couple of weeks:

Clap said:
I'm sorry it affects you so adversely, but we banned your controller because we know what we're doing. We did the same with the PS3 after being advised to BY SONY ENGINEERS about how the wireless signals will be jammed. Sony actually built us custom bluetooth disabled controllers for tournament use. With over 200 Xboxes, 20 Wiis, and 60 PS3s in the same room, there is a 'signal haze' in the room that actually prevents us from using wireless internet from industrial routers, let alone wireless controllers. Would some work? Maybe. Would they work if we let everyone use them? Absolutely not.

We've been doing these events for a while now (:p) and this is something we have explored backwards, forwards, and side ways, we're 100% confident that we made the right decision. Again, I'm sorry if it has put any competitors in a bad position, but it was a necessary decision.
JV said:
Wii Motes- We are still trying to figure this one out. But the MLG tech team has said because of the massive amount of electronics and things we run (and all do respect but an airport is just not an accurate analogy to MLG event. But i do appreciate the post Zta, hopefully something i can pass along) bluetooth (2.4 ghz) signals just do not work properly. Now unfortunately theres no way for me to test this till Orlando. But at the same time, you people that purchased passes, purchased tickets, we appreciate people coming out and if they do work would like to potentially give you players that did so without knowing the opportunity to use them in Orlando. Its not totally my call, but im hopeful.
MLG MAY test this thoroughly in Orlando for the upcoming events. However, Wiimotes will not be permitted for Orlando.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Well, that pretty accurately answers that question, haha.

Just to clarify, there will be a live VoD stream for Brawl, correct?

MLG_Deimos

Well, that pretty accurately answers that question, haha.

Just to clarify, there will be a live VoD stream for Brawl, correct?
Information regarding the Live Streams for Orlando has not yet been released.

MLG_Deimos

Please use this thread to ask questions only.

There are discussion threads located in this forum.

Thanks!

MLG_Deimos

how many spots are left to register for the singles bracket?
I can't tell you the specific number, but we are closing in on the cap; however, there are still passes up for sell. So if you were planning on playing in the singles event in Orlando, I would register now.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. The bracket will only support 252 people, meaning only 252 passes will be sold, correct?

So basically, you need to buy a pass immediately if they are expected to sell out. For the Columbus event will there be advanced notification before the tickets go on sale? If not, is there going to be an estimated time when we should start refreshing the MLG page hourly?

Thanks!

MLG_Deimos

Is there SERIOUSLY no west coast locations?

You're keeping the west coast in mind for the championships, right?
Currently, Dallas is as far west as we go for the 2010 Pro Circuit. However, the 5th and final event has not yet been announced, so please stay tuned.

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. The bracket will only support 252 people, meaning only 252 passes will be sold, correct?

So basically, you need to buy a pass immediately if they are expected to sell out. For the Columbus event will there be advanced notification before the tickets go on sale? If not, is there going to be an estimated time when we should start refreshing the MLG page hourly?

Thanks!
The open bracket will support as many as 256 player passes. Once we have 256 players, no more passes will be sold.

As for the Columbus event, yes, there will be an announcement on MLGPro.com (and I will post one here), for when the passes will go on sell. It is usually around a month prior to the event.

When it is announced, I will post some tips on how to purchase a pass quickly since they do sell out quite fast sometimes.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Wow Dan, so nice of you to outreach to us.

I would like to know if MLG knows about the Brawl Backroom here on their smashboards and the reccomended ruleset that the community has been using for a long time now. Was it MLG's choice to ignore this ruleset and use their own ruleset? Or was the ruleset just made from scratch by MLG without any knowledge of the reccomended ruleset?

In other words, what is the motivation behind MLG adding all of these stages that the community has deemed unplayable at tournament level?

fragbait

Smash Master
I agree with the above. The stage list at this point is uber liberal, and contains multiple stages (especially at the Starter level) that shouldn't be either where they are, or on the allowed list at all. I would like some solid reasoning behind why the tried and true stage lists from most all regions were ignored.

GoadMoose

Smash Journeyman
Is there a specific reason why Green Greens is included in the stage list? And is the stage list subject to change throughout the circuit based on player feedback? Thanks.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Is there SERIOUSLY no west coast locations?

You're keeping the west coast in mind for the championships, right?
I'm just throwing this out there because it was actually a pretty big deal last season.

MLG isn't doing any West Coast events (excluding possibly the finals) because the west coast events have less of an outcome since most players are in the midwest/east coast.

Last season, the lowest tournament outcome (by far) was when MLG went out to California. Even Halo 3 didn't sell out for that event.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
As the Brawl Backroom's PR Officer, please allow me to partially address that question. Before MLG was announced, the Backroom had already begun discussion modifications to the rulesets to be released this summer as is on the agenda. However, with the announcement of MLG, we suddenly had much nearer deadlines for the release of the new rulesets. The Backroom did communicate with MLG, but we had no say in the final decisions. Green Greens was a popular choice for testing in a new format (I myself support it), and the new neutrals layout was widely favored to give examples of some input we provided (and I'll feel no shame whatsoever in letting the world know that I strongly fought against the inclusion of Norfair on the stage list).

Unfortunately, a lot of the decision making process was marred due to rushing to meet new deadlines, and the sudden quell of the MK issue. MLG decided to keep MK before we could put it to an official vote (which I feel has largely mended the community). Additionally, we were not able to follow our normal order of operations, such as determining if we were to follow a ledge-grab limit, and how high we would set one. We provided MLG reasonable data and they came up with the current ledge rules, but the Backroom did not set it to an official vote, as we had no direct say in the final product of the MLG ruleset.

Even with that being said, I feel extremely hopeful for MLG Columbus and I have been practicing underneath MLG rules, and found them to be far less upsetting than you might assume, once you fully understand the stage (except Norfair, GOD what a bad idea).

Lastly, I hope that MLGs finals are in the Meadowlands or New York. Do you know when this will be announced? A ballpark figure will gladly be fine.

MLG_Deimos

Wow Dan, so nice of you to outreach to us.

I would like to know if MLG knows about the Brawl Backroom here on their smashboards and the reccomended ruleset that the community has been using for a long time now. Was it MLG's choice to ignore this ruleset and use their own ruleset? Or was the ruleset just made from scratch by MLG without any knowledge of the reccomended ruleset?

In other words, what is the motivation behind MLG adding all of these stages that the community has deemed unplayable at tournament level?
JV actually answered this question a couple days ago. MLG did work with the BBR in order to create the rule set:

JV said:
Yea, we all read through about 50 pages of backroom discussion threads, brought some key TOs on conference calls, etc
Pierce7d said:
Lastly, I hope that MLGs finals are in the Meadowlands or New York. Do you know when this will be announced? A ballpark figure will gladly be fine.
No, I don't have any timeline of when the championships location may be announced.

As for the rest of the rule type discussion, please use this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271261

MLG_Deimos

How can I get a job working with MLG, in the business aspect?

Marketing to different forms of gaming has always been something I felt I would pursue in the future.
This is not exactly what you described, but if you have the talent, I'd suggest giving it a try to get your foot in the door: http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307365

There's also a careers section: http://www.mlgpro.com/careers

And lastly, occasionally staff positions are posted in the MLG General Discussion forum at mlgpro.com/forum so I would suggest just keeping an eye out on that forum as well from time to time.

Ohmu

Smash Apprentice
This might be a stupid question (sorry, I've only been to a few tourneys) but the schedule for Orlando (http://pro-circuit.mlgpro.com/pro-circuit/2010/orlando/super-smash-bros-brawl-1v1/schedule) seems to indicate that the first official matches will be during the Winners Round 1 at 5:30 PM on Friday. (I'm guessing that the "Check-in/Warmup" and "Welcome" time periods don't include any official play.) I must be missing something, because I thought that when using a bracket setup the composition of the Winners' and Losers' sides of the bracket is determined by the first match played. So what determines if you pay in the Winners Round 1 or the Losers Round 1? Does it have something to do with seeding?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Everyone is put in Winners Round 1. If you lose, you go to Losers Round 1, but if you win, you go to Winners Round 2.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Winners round 1 = first round of winners = the very first round of the tourament (since no one has lost yet)
Losers Round 1 = first round of losers = the first round in which people with loses (from winners round 1) play each other

garrR

Smash Apprentice
this isn't related to the MLG rules, but what models of TVs are being used for the MLG events? i checked the MLG forums and there's lots of posts about equipment used for the halo stuff, but nothing really about brawl. thanks.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Is the doubles tournament's bracket up yet? I would like to at least see the top 8 teams, and in particular which characters those teams played.

lehua768

Smash Rookie
where I will basically search for threads on Smashboards.com that pertain to MLG or the upcoming events, and I will answer any questions anybody may have. So if you have any questions about MLG or the upcoming event in Orlando, ask away and I will answer them in a timely manner.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
My only question: Who do I have to suck up to for singles at the other MLGs are on saturday-sunday instead of friday-saturday

MLG_Deimos

My only question: Who do I have to suck up to for singles at the other MLGs are on saturday-sunday instead of friday-saturday
The competition schedule will more than likely not change.

Is the doubles tournament's bracket up yet? I would like to at least see the top 8 teams, and in particular which characters those teams played.
There is not a Doubles bracket. The singles bracket can be found here: http://www.mlgpro.com/brackets/10/procircuit/orlando/smash/champ.php

this isn't related to the MLG rules, but what models of TVs are being used for the MLG events? i checked the MLG forums and there's lots of posts about equipment used for the halo stuff, but nothing really about brawl. thanks.
Envision L20W421

garrR

Smash Apprentice
what connections are used for hooking up the wii to the Envision L20W421? were they hooked up through component cables? was the play relatively lagless?

i'm asking because i'm in the market for an HDTV that is suitable for gaming. thanks.

MLG_Deimos

Hi there, I just picked up a Japanese White GameCube Controller today. Can I use this imported one for a MLG tournament?
If it passes this, yes:

1. Players may not use a controller with Turbo capabilities or Wireless capabilities. Controllers with Turbo capabilities allow Players to map a button sequence to the Turbo button. Pressing that button results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.
  2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage.

Do the top 16 have a higher priority when buying a pass for MLG Columbus?
No, the Top 16 players are not considered Pro until after Columbus.

what connections are used for hooking up the wii to the Envision L20W421? were they hooked up through component cables? was the play relatively lagless?

i'm asking because i'm in the market for an HDTV that is suitable for gaming. thanks.
I will have to find out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom