• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Official word on Orlando Live Streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Really unfortunate but we will not be streaming brawl live from Orlando. Sorry its taken so long to give you guys the official word on it. The reason for that was we had every intention to stream from Orlando, and held out hope we would in fact get the proper authorization to do so before the event. In spite of our best efforts to get Nintendo to sign off and ok it we just have not been able to. Its something we will continue to work on and I feel hopeful it will come in the near future and we will have the opportunity to stream all the brawl goodness throughout the weekend with professional commentary like we originally intended. In the meantime, we will still be recording all the great matches and when and if we get the ok, will be releasing them to the massives. At the same time we will allow spectators to use hand held recording devices and im sure you guys will end up seeing them :).

I suggest everyone checks out one of the company co-founders, Sundance's blog and it should really give you a clear picture of the situation and our commitment to Brawl this season.

Veril

Frame Savant
You'll record and release matches when you "get the OK"?

Seeing as Nintendo wasn't willing to allow a livestream (why, I will never understand), what would you say are the chances they will allow recording? If there really is no guarantee at all that even this will be possible, I think that "when" should be changed to an "if".

"rage"

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You have to have Nintendo's permission to stream it for money, right?

What would be the issue with a Smaher-run, non-monetized stream?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
nintendo ****ing sucks. why are they being suck *******s?

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
nintendo ****ing sucks. why are they being suck *******s?
Cause they only care about the green and their too stubborn to realize that they can please millions of people if they actually cared about competitive smash and can have lots of of love if they do but their okay with competitive PKMN though which is king of hypocritical if you think about it.

Veril

Frame Savant
Good to know that the games will be viewable after the fact via grainy, wobbly "spectator recordings" BECAUSE it is an official MLG event. This is awesome... I don't have friends there I want to watch or anything. Who cares about cheering on their compatriots when they could watch it later in sh*** quality?

I am so disappointed. This is such a let down. The lack of 3+minute replays only adds to the epic fail.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Really unfortunate but we will not be streaming brawl live from Orlando. Sorry its taken so long to give you guys the official word on it. The reason for that was we had every intention to stream from Orlando, and held out hope we would in fact get the proper authorization to do so before the event. In spite of our best efforts to get Nintendo to sign off and ok it we just have not been able to. Its something we will continue to work on and I feel hopeful it will come in the near future and we will have the opportunity to stream all the brawl goodness throughout the weekend with professional commentary like we originally intended. In the meantime, we will still be recording all the great matches and when and if we get the ok, will be releasing them to the massives. At the same time we will allow spectators to use hand held recording devices and im sure you guys will end up seeing them :).

I suggest everyone checks out one of the company co-founders, Sundance's blog and it should really give you a clear picture of the sitation and our commitment to Brawl this season.
What commitment? Brawl community getting ****ed left and right by MLG and you guys just want us to take it? Can you at least take me out to dinner before you **** me?

Veril

Frame Savant
The brawl community grew without support from corporate sponsors, and should neither rely on nor expect much from them. Nintendo... I don't understand their actions, but it is clear that they are not going to be making this easy for MLG.

MLG still should have made this happen. You're liable in different ways than normal venues and TOs? No Johns. You guys tried, which is nice, but you failed. With far greater resources at your disposal than an ordinary TO... This is garbage.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
If we play the game does that mean we have the right to record it? can't the community just record the good games without MLG's permission?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Guys, relax. Things have to have order if you want things to work out. Let's not forget in the past that Melee was live stream and on VoD when it was on the MLG Circuit. Just because they couldn't get Nintendo's response in time for MLG Orlando does not mean, they wont get in the future. Just because they wont have it at the beginning for Brawl, doesn't meant they are screwing the community over, or ****ing things up.

Yes it's upsetting that you wont be able to see how well your friends perform live, but it's not the end of the world, they are a professional establishment, and are going through everything in a professional way. The way you guys are getting upset, makes it seem like you are all 4 year olds, crying over your ice cream falling off the cone.

Just take a deep breath and relax. Patience is a virtue.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Will players be allowed to set up their own personal recording equipment? If so, will they be able to stream on their own accord? It sounds like you simply can't stream because you are liable as a corporation and have to ask Nintendo first, but does this extend to participants as well?

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I can tell you right now why Nintendo said no, if that is what they said. They don't want Brawl to become competitive Sakurai said it himself, part of the reason why they put tripping in..

To Dark Sonic. If they won't let MLG livestream, why would the competitors be able to? Even if they are allowed to record their matches, which I doubt will get to happen. Looks like their will be a lot of tripods at MLG.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
This is a joke. Every other game gets a stream, but Brawl doesn't? Obviously the oonly reason this is happening is because of a stream that would cost money, as tournaments have free live streams for the game all the time.

Just give us the free stream. And, better yet, why exactly did it take this long. MLG didn't think this would happen? They must have been planning to add Brawl to the circuit a good amount of time before they actually announced it, so wouldn't it have made sense to get permission much earlier?

I'm so puzzled as to how individual, a few, or even random people in the community can hold successful tournaments and MLG struggles to do as much as have a live stream. Awesome job.

-Ran

Smash Master
The larger the event/company the more visibility they have to their actions. If your small Smash tournament has a live stream, Nintendo won't care; however if you are a company such as MLG, you have to follow through with all of the legal steps necessary. MLG isn't a tournament in your garage; it's business.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Disappointed...

This is garbage. Livesrteam is necessary to increase hype and discussion, bringing in new players.

shaky hand-held it is :(

Laem

Smash Champion
just livestream, whu cares
besides, theyll probably have it fixed in the future
stop *****ing

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
So I'm guessing Nintendo doesn't want an other company to make money from the game they created so that gives you two solutions:

-Make a deal with Nintendo so they get a share of the money that you receive from the livestream.

-livestream the matches (and only the matches) anonymously, thus you won't be getting any profit (which you wouldn't have been anyway) so Nintendo won't stop you, you'll keep the brawl community's respect and hype and we'll all be happy.

There's really nothing stoping you.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I can tell you right now why Nintendo said no, if that is what they said. They don't want Brawl to become competitive Sakurai said it himself, part of the reason why they put tripping in...
That doesn't make much sense, with Nintendo being a money-making corporation and all. It would make more sense if they allowed streams/vids in order to get more people to play (which means more people buying brawl/Wiis/controllers/etc).

Or maybe Nintendo knows that watching brawl is usually so boring that it will detract from people wanting to play.. :p

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Thank you for finally clarifying this but please, in the future, keep us updated along the way instead of leaving us in the dark until the last minute. I'd rather be told Nintendo isn't cooperating and we might not get a stream weeks in advance and kept up to date on their refusal than being told a day before the event that there won't be a stream.

Please MLG, stay connected with your community. I feel like you're starting to get a little too full of yourselves about "professional" gaming.

Conti

Smash Ace
Hand held devices... someone get a nice azz camera setup on a main tv! With ur laptop like in ur backpack and stream

sunshade

Smash Ace
Hand held devices... someone get a nice azz camera setup on a main tv! With ur laptop like in ur backpack and stream

This actually has me wondering. What is to stop the players from simply live streaming under both nintendo's and MLG's noses? what can either of them even do to stop it?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
At the same time we will allow spectators to use hand held recording devices and im sure you guys will end up seeing them :).
If we play the game does that mean we have the right to record it? can't the community just record the good games without MLG's permission?
Will players be allowed to set up their own personal recording equipment? If so, will they be able to stream on their own accord? It sounds like you simply can't stream because you are liable as a corporation and have to ask Nintendo first, but does this extend to participants as well?
This actually has me wondering. What is to stop the players from simply live streaming under both nintendo's and MLG's noses? what can either of them even do to stop it?
If we cant get a stream, cant we at least get a up-to-date bracket or something -_-
http://www.mlgpro.com/content/news/304515/League-Speak-with-Sundance-Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom