• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Geist

Smash Master
Needs more sweetspots
I have to say, you did much better in the second video (against sheik) so I'm going to focus on critiqing this one.
Notes:
- careful with that screw attack. You missed way more than you hit. You're lucky you didn't get slap ***** or something
- more sweetspotting, watch for needles. If you're really close to the stage, you're honestly better off not bothering with bombs against sheik. Make sure you always stay out of needle range. You have enough recovery distance to concentrate on avoiding them first. watch sheik carefully and time your airdodge to avoid needles. The exact same thing happened at 1:29 and 2:34. For a second I actually thought I pushed the vid backwards by accident.
- at 1:20 you missed a great edgeguarding opportunity. A mistake that big needs to be punished.
- don't toy with sheik if you're on the edge lol

I'll continue later I have to go somewhere D:

Overall, it looks like you know what to do, but sometimes hesitate to do it.

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
Hey this is the first video I have recorded of me, I know there is alot I need to improve on like ledge hogging. I know I should also have missle cancled and ftilt more. I mess up on my edge guarding alot and to fairs to. Id love any advice though. It's a set of 5 so watch all five if you feel like it. Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWb0J2LH028 i fixed the link

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
maybe your tag should be DZNT rather than DNTZ
cuz i read the later as donutz
not that that's a bad thing
actually that's kinda funny
lol

AIDS

Smash Lord
Small stage is difficult for you due to your lack of experience. Yoshi's story is my best stage but I have mained Samus a long time and get easy kills and know what to do. For you though, I suggest bigger stages if you get the counter pick. So tips, I see lots I can pass, take what is good leave what you dis-agree with.

#1 Better control - stay on the ground as much as possible. Learn to drop through platforms in pressure as needed. 90% of Samus match ups say you do not want to be above the other character, she is not a fast faller and that's how you get damage racked up as you have very little options and as he is falcon if you even air dodge, he falls and jumps so fast, he can just try again. LOL

#2 Play safe - Know in your head if it your fallow up will work, if so time it. Example, wait for him to get up on the platform above you then...jump and Nair for example. Make your moves hit and if they don't, stay back and play safe. Pro's punish for mistakes. This will be 10 time more important at higher levels.

#3 Less laggy moves - Such as Dair, or up-tilt unless it hits etc. More jabs and tilts spaced out and force him to make a bad approach and that will lead your punish into ****.

#4 Smarter edge guarding. In the first match you could have edge hogged him for the kill, but you jumped with Nair. Make it count, it will feel better then a greedy move like that.

#5 Mix up your recovery, I should be confused of where your bomb jump is going to be. Move a little back or a little forward or maybe lay a bomb with no bomb jump. If you just do regular bomb jump I will always know where you will be laying your next bomb and I will kill you there.

#6 Be unpredictable with your charge shot, or make it count. Save it so the other player gets scared and plays in a scared manner. He would be shielding a lot and I can simply walk up and grab him.
Also keep in mind Falcons recovery sucks and he is easy to shot and get an easy kill after you perhaps up-tilt him and then as he is on his way back and such. Make it count more. 2 5:53 you used it as a tech chase. That's what I,m talking about! =)

There are a lot of good things. You clearly know your character, but you need to make her more fluent and make your style more effective. These 6 major things will make you so much better. Just keep it real and put them in your game play. Watch Hugz vs SS March 2010. Watch how Hugo edge guards Falcon. Often he gets on the edge, which gives you a phew secs on invincibility, and ledge hops onto the edge with a Nair. Check it out. Falcons recovery sucks. GG

Geist

Smash Master
@Deeznutz
You seem familiar with Samus's movements, but you still have to work on your basic ABC's of Samus. Also, what AIDS said.

resTy

Smash Champion
Learn how to Lcancel and Wavedash. Samus has the worst roll in the game. Learning wavedashing will also help you stop dash attacking every single time you run also. Dash attack isn't that reliable.
When you get hit up, stop Dairing every single time you're on your way down. It's a terrible option because you can't space it and your opponent can see it coming a few days prior to you throwing it.
Not much to say but for you to learn the basics though. You and your friend seems extremely new to the game's competitive scene just from watching the vids.

terranoia

Smash Cadet
Learn how to Lcancel and Wavedash. Samus has the worst roll in the game. Learning wavedashing will also help you stop dash attacking every single time you run also. Dash attack isn't that reliable.
When you get hit up, stop Dairing every single time you're on your way down. It's a terrible option because you can't space it and your opponent can see it coming a few days prior to you throwing it.
Not much to say but for you to learn the basics though. You and your friend seems extremely new to the game's competitive scene just from watching the vids.

Wavedashing to stop Dash Attacking
Stop Dairing

Thanks!

For the record, it's me vs. Dark Dragoon from CT, who is fantastic. He was probably just playing poorly to make me look good for the video. :D

AIDS

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88wpQhBpeqg

Hey guys,
This video is from a few weeks ago.
I've worked on my recovery a little bit since then, but uhhh

What do you think?

Thanks!
I think you don't know how to play Samus. I am not Simon Cowell but I do speak the honest truth like Don Cherry. LOL

Learn your Character, and study this thread: You are subscribed to this thread Sticky Thread: Sticky: Intro To Samus + Character Match-Up's(Read Before Making A Thread!)

In this thread you will see more advanced techniques, which you need to put smoothly into your game play. Learn to fallow up better. Learn which moves to use to edgeguard, and how to use them. Also I will suggest for you to watch videos showing good players such as Hugz, Wes, and many others to see what works. Not so much "What looks cool" but learn basic effective edge guarding and fallow ups.

Learn to space and to not roll. Also learn to jump out of shield (to avoid having to roll under pressure) and also Up-B out of shield, and take everything you can from that thread. It is LONG!!! but CoreyGames and myself put a lot of work into it and it is a sticky now. So please take what you can and if you have any questions ask. LOL

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Anything I can suggest, everyone else has said, so I'll just say good luck on improving :)

Geist

Smash Master
VID 1:
Spacing is a must, and so is consistancy. Work on your technique first - when I was watching you I couldn't help but feel you were trying to play another character.

- Remember, the moves you use mean nothing if you don't use them properly. Concentrate heavily on where you are in relativity to your opponent, so you can get to a place where you have the advantage. The moves you should use come second. While watching, I noticed that almost all of the attacks you threw out (most of them which you were punished for) would have still landed had you done them from farther away. In addition, most of the attacks you were punished for doing wouldn't have been if you spaced them out more carefully.

- Learning more into the matchup will help you decide what moves to use specifically to get you into said vantage point. In the particular matchup with link, Samus is pretty much tied with Link in the air. His nair is a beast, and you must respect it, although the one you were facing didn't seem to use it half as much as he should have. Meanwhile your nair should phase out his boomerangs and maybe bombsif spaced properly
- I'm just going to assume this, but I have a feeling you play with this guy on a regular basis. This is just a secret between you and me, but I think he figured out when you're going to use dtilt.

- Less dash attacking. Dash attack is easily punished when your opponent has the chance to shield.

- When in doubt DI up, not away. The Dair kills he made on you were actually quite escapable.

There's some things you should learn to gain the edge vs. link - for example catching and wd out of shield. This should shut down most of his projectiles, and give you the upper hand. When edgeguarding Link, notice that his only option of getting back on the stage is from below. His UpB is massive, but kinda floats there if he doesn't sweetspot. Try dropping a bomb, which should mess up his sweetspot, and take advantage of the opportunity and tilt or smash him.

VID 2:
Much was said in the above paragraph that still applies to vid 2.
Samus just wasn't made for launching herself across the stage to land a hit, her moves are to situational, and she's floaty and her airspeed sucks.

- Manage your projectiles better. You have a decent missile game, and that definetly helps, but you don't take full advantage of what you're doing. You're potentially setting up some good situations without even realizing it, and you end up missing the chance. Full Charge beam can be used to punish anyone who makes a mistake while sweetspotting. Your friend's sweetspotting is off, and you can take full advantage of that and take off a stock every time. It's that easy.
* btw off topic but captain falcon and ganon's sweetspot is located in a way that even recovering perfectly, a small piece of them is sticking out over the stage. Full Charge beam will always be able to hit that as they recover*
- blah blah spacing yada yada consistancy. You SWD'd more consistantly than you recovered, and this worries me. So from no on, if you SD by grapple, I want you to do drills by grappling the edge 50 times. and if you mess up, you have to start over. So there.
you don't actually have to do that

- @1:28 you dash attacked 3 times in a row lol *wags finger*

- @4:07. From this point to the end was pretty much an instructional video of how not to edgeguard.

VID 3:
I've pretty much complained about everything I can think of at this point, so I'll reserve this for things that you're doing right and should keep on doing. That is unless of course I find something else to nitpick at.
Oh wait this is vs Falco. Well, quick advice to beat Falco... UpB out of shield. That is all

Oh right positive things
- while your Samus game in particular needs fine tuning, I see your familiarity with the overall game mechanics. I can see that you have a good potential to improve with more playing experience. I suggest playing some of the good SoCal players often and learning from there. If you already do, then great.

- you land a lot of grabs, which is good. Just remember to keep them as your trump card, because if your opponent predicts one it will almost always result in you being punished.

- as I mentioned before you have a good missile game, you just have to learn how to take full advantage of it.

TLDR, there's potential to be seen here, and I can see you already have the technical capacity to do anything that I suggested.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
that's cuz a lot of people work on everything but the basics loool

i remember i tried learning to swd hella before i even knew how to even WD well

hahahah ****

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
that's cuz a lot of people work on everything but the basics loool

i remember i tried learning to swd hella before i even knew how to even WD well

hahahah ****
Haha I was the same way. When I went to my first tourney I could SWD with like 80% consistency, but my WDing was spotty, slow, and barely went anywhere.

resTy

Smash Champion
I learned SWD first because Wes did it in the FC3 Crew Battle.
I thought it was ridiculous so it had to be learned.
Then learned Samus' crap like the MC, Platform MC, Double Missles, etc..
I learned how to wavedash at around the same time but didn't apply it for another 3-6 months.
Learned L-canceling one year later xD. I thought that it was a useless tech xD.
Yeah, remembering the good ole newb days is hella nostalgic.
Watching the matches hurts the eyes though :-(

Geist

Smash Master
Just for post count purposes I'd like to report that I'm going to have recorded matches in the next week or two. I moved from Vegas to near the Toronto area so...
yeah.
I can actually play this game again.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I liked your Samus more, it was more interesting, faster in general and SD'd less lol.

Pi

Smash Hero
Lol
thanks thanks ^^

Any tips vs. gannon?

Even re-watching it's hard to pinpoint what to do better other than not mess up at ALL, that probably saves me like 20-50% a stock

****ing ganon
LOL U MESS UP? HERE EAT A FAIR

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I play Ganon pretty differently, but it IS one of my best matchups, just ask AIDS :chuckle:
Remember that Fair ***** ganon, it leaves him there for anything since he's a fatty, and if you space it (C STICK THAT ****) ganon can't really do much.
But about battling him, theres some finer points you need to make sure of. I agree that Ganon vs Samus is not a winning matchup, so you obviously gotta abuse his weaknesses, which is his recovery, his maneuverability and his lack of combos. I find approaching with ftilts and utilts works. When he ganon kicks, run away and do any attack you like at the end. I'll see if I can record some matches with my friend who uses Ganon and peach.

AIDS

Smash Lord
I play Ganon pretty differently, but it IS one of my best matchups, just ask AIDS :chuckle:
Remember that Fair ***** ganon, it leaves him there for anything since he's a fatty, and if you space it (C STICK THAT ****) ganon can't really do much.
But about battling him, theres some finer points you need to make sure of. I agree that Ganon vs Samus is not a winning matchup, so you obviously gotta abuse his weaknesses, which is his recovery, his maneuverability and his lack of combos. I find approaching with ftilts and utilts works. When he ganon kicks, run away and do any attack you like at the end. I'll see if I can record some matches with my friend who uses Ganon and peach.
Agreed with he whole post, Amen.
Make sure he doesn't get angry and scream like Ganon in the process. =P I know who it is very well. He got choked after you beat him in crews. I still find it ******** how we had the 3 Samus mains in the one crew. and we went up first and took a huge lead. LMAO

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Agreed with he whole post, Amen.
Make sure he doesn't get angry and scream like Ganon in the process. =P I know who it is very well. He got choked after you beat him in crews. I still find it ******** how we had the 3 Samus mains in the one crew. and we went up first and took a huge lead. LMAO
S**t yeah, you took 5 stock, you beat kaelen! And then I got 6 stock from Just destroying rhett and daze LOL

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
lol edgeluca, I'll play you with my ganon on saturday/sunday when I come over as long as it ain't final D
:p

as long as we do some other matchups too

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
lol edgeluca, I'll play you with my ganon on saturday/sunday when I come over as long as it ain't final D
:p

as long as we do some other matchups too
Yeah I'll give my fox some more training so you can actually combo :chuckle:
Main Falco plz.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'll give my fox some more training so you can actually combo :chuckle:
Main Falco plz.
I can combo! oh wait techchasing doesn't count ;)
falco is lame in large doeses my fox does better anyways, I like mah falcon even though he is a terrible character :laugh:

edit: Lol nice new pic

AIDS

Smash Lord
I can combo! oh wait techchasing doesn't count ;)
falco is lame in large doeses my fox does better anyways, I like mah falcon even though he is a terrible character :laugh:

edit: Lol nice new pic
Want to money match? I am new to this community, but I am pretty good with Samus. She is so good, her ball of doom! I pwn with it, and I am learning this bomb jump stuff. SO GOOD! I need the practice.

Top Bottom