• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So about the Snake MU... I would pick FD, since IIRC we outcamp the crap outta him if we play correctly. Also, ftilt is godly in this mu, since it outranges all of his moves, except ftilts second hit, which won't hit in time anyways. Use a lot of utilt in this MU, stuff like utilt "lock" (the weak hitbox that has set knockback) twice and then usmash followed by uair can be effective... Bring in a lot of damage by being careful at camping. Don't spam your lazor, wait for snake to pick a nade, then shoot the nade. It brings about 20% to Snake, making him think twice before trying it again.
What brings problems in this MU is IMO Dacus, it's too fast at least for me, so all I can do is jump over it. Gyro is also not as effective as usual, thought it can kill Snake at moderately low % offstage if it's fully charged and fresh.

If you are careful, you can toss out a dtilt, tripping Snake and getting some nice damage. Just watch out for his gay pivot grab, Snake will tech chase us forever since our roll sucks, a lot. Snake sucks at gimping Rob, most of the time, you will live until that utilt. Stay in the maximum distance of your ftilt, then utilt cannot hit you easily. Just remember that if he shields your ftilt, he can punish with ftilt of his own.

And if Snake plants a mine, it's easily taken care of by you lazor that can destroy it while still hitting Snake thanks to it's goes through everything property.

I say this MU is between 55-45 to us and 45-55 to Snake. He can kill us early we can't kill him, but thanks to our range, he has harder time killing us than normally.

One last things to say is that I think if you hit a nade with the tip of your fair, it won't explode, instead it will just fly away. And when Snake recovers, always go to the ledge, Snake knows that you can grab gimp him, so he has to recover farther away, getting damage in the process. Then, when he is farther away, you can use your fully charged laser to rack up some damage and later even kill.

tl; dr: this is an even MU. Nuff said.

And I have played against my country's best Snake, so all of this crap comes from that.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
The matchup is 55-45 Snake.

FD is the best neutral stage for R.O.B., anothers have already motivated it. And don't take Snake to SV.

Shot away the fully charged gyro (my gyro is always that in the 95% of the cases) so it lands in the ground. Why? To prevent Snake from successfully take advantage of his DACUS. The gyro is going to scarify him.

When Snake D-throws you, don't roll to a side, but nor press A to attack or remain still! Instead, just press up on your analog stick, and then quickly do a D-smash! Works almost always for me. Surprise them with mixing up different tactics, like UP+D-smash, then next time press A and so on. Now it's we who have the mindgames! ([^^]

But Snake is so broken, tilts (especially his Up-tilt (we have poor DI vertically)), living so long due to the fact that he's super-heavy-weight and stage controll + many other things. Try to gimp him rather than kill him. >_>

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i would say to strike bf and stadium every time. sv and fd are great against snake. yoshis is better then bf and stadium >.>

Nova9000

Smash Lord
i would say to strike bf and stadium every time. sv and fd are great against snake. yoshis is better then bf and stadium >.>
Why is Yoshi's better than PS1? I'm not asking to correct you, but to understand why. I would think PS1 is safer than Yoshis against Snake.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The matchup is 55-45 Snake.
Shot away the fully charged gyro (my gyro is always that in the 95% of the cases) so it lands in the ground. Why? To prevent Snake from successfully take advantage of his DACUS. The gyro is going to scarify him.
Leaving your Gyro to the ground is a bad idea. Snake will pick it up with his DACUS, UNINTERRUPTED. So he kicks your *** with DACUS and at the same time ruins your Rob since Rob feels poor without his Gyro. Gl. Utilt isn't going to hit that much, you have more range.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I'm sorry this took long, but life is a very interesting, magical place :p. Anyways, here are my 2 cents.

Game Start:

Fire a laser, or use a Gyro, its completely up to you. There are multiple ways to use either of them. 1st I will go over the laser options. So if you fire a laser, one way is to just fire the laser at the snake. If you want to anticipate that the snake will shield drop a grenade, you can aim the laser at his feet, and it will blow up the grenade. It wont hurt snake because he will be in his shield, but he wont have a his grenade and that gives you a camping advantage. Also, aiming down your laser covers the other option when a snake will simply crouch, thinking you will fire a laser straight on but then instead get hit by a laser angles down while trying to crouch it. The last option is to fire the laser up anticipating that they will jump. You can also jump and fire a laser to catch a snake in the air. In my experience, the most effective use of the laser on startup is to fire it at the feet. When using the gyro, you can charge your gyro and then use it for later, fire your uncharged gyro, then rush up to it and use it for stage control (pick it up, or stay nearby it). You can also jump at the beginning while preparing your gyro or shoot it while jumping to get some more distance on it if you like. In this case, any option is up to you, this allows enough options which are viable so that you can mixup your startup game.

Long Range:

At this range, a lot of focus is required. Every projectile thrown counts, and if a projectile is used poorly, then it means that the person using the projectiles wrong are at a disadvantage at this range. The laser has to be used to hit snake as well as destroy the grenades that he throws at us. SNAKE DOES NOT HAVE TO APPROACH US AT ALL. Snake can camp us just as hard as we can camp him. At long range, multiple things can happen. the basic use of ROB's laser would be to destroy grenades like I stated. The gyro would be used for stage control. At long range, charge the gyro if necessary to reach the snake. Other use for the gyro would be to pick it up. If you believe you are in control of the long range game, throw the gyro back at snake, and even glide toss away to gain some distance. Otherwise glide toss towards the snake and grab or fsmash to get him off stage. The other things that can effect the long range game are the c4 and the dsmash of snake. Use your projectiles to get rid of the dsmash of snake. the other way to get ride of it would be to run up to it and shield it or roll over it (be cautious that your invincibility frames are still active while rolling over it). As for the C4, you can either be cautious of it or just watch the snake and when he does the C4 activation animation, just shield (this will not work thought if the C4 is on a platform above you).

Middle Range:

More than likely, the snake is power shielding trying to approach you. Be careful when using your laser because you don't wanna get snakedashed before the laser is thrown out. Use can always Nair, or Bair, or something to punish the snake dash (if you can predict it). Charge you gyro and try to predict when the snake will drop his shield or side step and use the gyro to punish it. Thats about all that needs to be said here.

Close Range:

Snake wins, hand down, GTFO of here ASAP! Ftilt solutions are to shield the Ftilt and then Ftilt him back. You have to be quick with that though because he can shield right after pretty fast, altho you are guaranteed an Ftilt right after his finishes if your fast enough. Snake can also do some pretty good shield pressure with the ftilt (like using the 1st hit of the ftilt then doing a full 2 hit Ftilt right after). Our Ftilt beats the 1st hit of his Ftilt so use it when he gets close and know your range! Its very important. Other that that GTFO of close range!

Above the opponent:

Snake will try and chase you and Bair or Uair you. Snakes air speed isnt the greatest and he isnt that amazing at chasing rob in the air. he can't stay in the air long so just either wave bounce or if you me :p, upB then Bair, then reverse the upB and Bair again to change your momentum while staying in the air at the same place. Stall until you find somewhere safe to land.

Recovering:

Watch out for the Usmash from snake. the most common edgeguard tool of stakes. Some snakes will try and chase you and Fair. Don't be predictable with your recovery. Go for the ledge or recover high and use the notes from the above section. While recovering, like in every matchup, use your gyro and laser while recovering. they will more than likely be powersheild but that stops the snake from Usmashing to edgeguard as they will get hit if they go for it (unless they use it before you get the chance to counter). When on the edge, u can release double jump (space it so that u are out of Utilt & grenade explosion range) and either laser or gyro. If their shield gets small, you can Nair after double jumping and it will poke their shield and get him. Watch for shield dropped grenades and watch for snake who try to plant their C4 on the edge and then try to make it go off while you are going for the edge. You can also fair after double jumping and it can be spaced in a manner that it hits the snake even if there is a shield dropped grenade on the ground. jump straight form the edge or roll or just simply get up. Mix up is up to you. I prefer to jump most of the time, and I hate attacking off the edge because of shield dropped grenades.

Edge Guarding:

Fair is your best friend. Sweet spotted Fair goes through the upB of snake. When snake is above the stage trying to recover, try and read the airdodge as you chase and Nair or Bair. Also try and read the Uair, Dair, Bair. and counter attack. Other things you can do is charge a gryo and punish the snake when he is about to land by throwing the gyro where is is going to land, or you can Bair where the snake is going to land (although he can wave bounce to dodge it =/). Watch out for when he is holding a grenade also. A well spaced Bair can hit him while not exploding the grenade.

Pseudo chain of attacks ROB has on snake:

Basically Fthrow or Bthrow the snake off stage once he has about 10-35% on him, then read the way he recovers and use your fairs in him. Sometimes he will jump and air dodge in which case you read the air dodge and continue into 4 fairs of your own (Fair x2, double jump, Fair x2). Other scenarios include the snake falling below the stage and double jumping to reach the edge, in which case you read him and either edgegrab or fall off the stage and Fair. the snake can double jump and Nair while approaching the stage in which case you read the Nair and space a Bair before he touches the ground then chase with fairs. Last option I know of is that they immediately upB out of their double jump, thus going high enough to not get Fair'd, in which case try and stop him while he is coming down (above section). If you can try and Bair or Dair him thats a bonus and you can take a stock :].

Hope this helps

ratio is 55-45 snake. He is faster than us in the air and on the ground (with snake dash and what not). He ***** us close range, and can take us long range. Situational string of attacks we can get on him, and its not exceptionally easy for us to kill him as he is coming down towards the stage. But other that that, not much going for us here. He dies later than us, and can defend against our kill options really well, while he is a killing machine himself (j the sense that like almost each of his moves are a kill move :()

Stages

Ban Halberd, avoid Battlefeild, try and go for FD. Platfroms are bad for you. He can setup and use his projectiles really well on them, and it makes it hard for us to punish his landing when platforms are round. the longer the stage the better and the less platforms the better. Counter pick jungle japes or FD or rainbow cruise. Brinstar is one to watch out for. try and separate the stage and then out camp him on the other side of the stage.

thats all for now ROBros :)

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Wow, awesome. I'm glad to see a new thread for rob match-up discussion. I thought it kinda died around here but it seems everyone has decided to improve robs standards :3.

I'll try to help contribute here, but sadly I'm not really the greatest when it comes to analyzing matchups. Just really know all the basics. If I ever do think of something helpful for this, ill let everyone know. =)

As for now, great work guys. <3

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think we are soon done with Snake, I would call it 50-50 if you like numbers. We are doing this in tier list order right?

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Nice synopsis Tin Man....
And I think we need to agree with the ratio since some of us say 55-45 Snake, and others call it even.
But besides that, we covered Snake pretty well.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Played this MU on a recent tourney with my countrys best Diddy. Rob has an easy time abusing Diddy's nanners against him with GT and his fair is IIRC a move that bounces back the nanners. In this MU, you are forced to camp. When he doesn't have 2 nanners, go all out aggressive against him since he is at his weakest then. When he gets his nanners back, go back to camping and try to z catch those nanners. If you pick stage like Japes or Cruise, it's an autowin. Always ban FD to avoid a free loss. You can't rely on your ground spacing, try to stay in the air a little more than usual, you can't trip in air. If you get nannered, get ready to eat at least 30%. At least 55-45 for Diddy Kong.

Trillest

Smash Ace
Im gonna say 55-45 rob's favor

Gimping: Not the hardest thing to do in the whole on a diddy kong their recovery is pretty predictable and most diddies will recover the exact same way, fair/dair/bair are all your friends offstage

Bananas: When you have control of 1 banana and diddy has one your can win this situation as long as u mix up gt approach/ending move. However when diddy has control of both bananas, as stated by Ahvena wait for an opening to catch/control one of those bananas or you will eat %. No bananas DONT RUSH in diddy can still punish your mistake stay at mid range and camp/poke. Also any at diddy can do with bananas rob can aswell i.e. insta throw/z drop etc

DI: Dsmash/Fsmash These moves should not kill below 130 undecayed also SDI Fsmash so that your either go straight up and can fair him in lag after his second hit or try and sdi behind him

Stages: Rob can obliterate diddy on a lot of stages as diddy is very stage dependant

Air: This is where ppl underestimate diddy. His bair and fair are both awesome moves with good priority and are useful in a lot of situations i.e bair outta sheild/fair to pick up bananas. A diddy can uair juggle us to be even more annoying :p, also fair can punish and kill and like i said before bair is a good options sh'd outta sheild for diddy

Ground:Dash attack (ARGGHHH) can be shield grabbed but unless you live with a diddy kong main don't expect to pull it off everytime
Uptilt:At low % will usually lead to an uair or juggle attempt, at high % it can kill and help diddy set up his banana position(usually 1 in hand and the other just infront of him)
Dtilt:Unless you di it right you can be be dash grabbed from it leading to more percent.
Ftilt:A gtfo out move to help diddy space or again help him set up his camp

All of this being said on paper it looks really in robs favour but u needa remember rob is a giant slow moving robot and diddy's speed and agility can really hurt rob.Most of this matchup is spent by both characters trying to get themselves in a good position but it will usually swing wildly with each mistake being made.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Idk.. Diddy is more stage dependent than Rob is. Rob can take diddy kong to a lot of places, where Diddy doesn't have the same advantage since all the rob should do is ban FD.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Diddy's favor or even? I would say a solid 55:45 ROB if not 6:4.
ROB can abuse nanners almost as well as Diddy can (Long Forward GT lands the nanner at robs feet if he misses where you can immediately pick it back up, and ROB should be used to following up after a GT anyway due to his gyro.) Learn to z catch them if you aren't used to it already. If it hits your shield, SH and z catch it.

Nanners shouldn't be punishing ROB if he camps simply because they don't carry that far when they're thrown.

ROB kills at around the same or usually lower percentages than Diddy based on stage positioning

Throw a gyro on top of a nanner and watch Diddy struggle. He can't pick up both and depending on which side he comes from the gyro will hit him if he tries. If you have control of the nanner as well as the gyro he can't safely pick up either.

Dash attack can be shieldgrabbed or shoot a gyro at it. It has to have some charge but it will usually hit Diddy and bounce and then hit him again.

Don't be expecting too much out of gimping a good Diddy though. He has plenty of options and mix ups to throw you off his trail and if you do go for the gimp watch for him to latch on with his Monkey Flip.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I kinda agree with Cubone, what makes this MU hard for Diddy is that Rob can abuse nanners effectively on any stage, since he can do fine without them too.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I would say the Diddy Kong matchup is 45-55 R.O.B.. Diddy Kong has an advantage due to his speed, agility, size and stage control. R.O.B. is just too big and slow for this matchup... Even if he camps...

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I disagree, I think once the ROB knows the MU, it could easily be 55-45 or 60-40 in our favor. ROB can handle bananas almost better than Diddy. Sure, ROB isn't as nimble as Diddy, but that doesn't mean we can't camp him. Just steal one of his bananas and proceed to camp, Diddy's not nearly as useful with only one banana, and in a lot of situations, we force him to approach, to which we can use his banana against him, or just throw out some more lasers and gyros.

On neutrals besides YI, I think the MU is 55-45 ROB, on CP's, ROB is a lot better, and it would probably be more like 60-40 ROB. Bring Diddy to RC, or Norfair if for some lulzy reason it's legal(MLG). Btw, there's probably a better stage than RC, that's just what popped into my head first.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think this matchup is 55-45 for ROB. He can gimp because Diddy has a predictable recovery, and he can make a very good use of the bananas. Fsmash if Diddy trips for the win. We only need to be careful when glide tossing because ROB goes really far and he might trip if there's a banana on his way.

Our biggest problem is the size. Diddy can combo pretty well. Besides, most times he uses Utilt after dash attacking(he can also use no dash attack and simply Uthrow), which isn't a good idea at all as we will be over him.

I like Final Destination. ROB's got a good camping game and can make very good use of the bananas, as I(and other robots) have said. Frigate Orpheon is the best counter pick in my opinion. Easy gimps, not so much space for Diddy to act like an unstoppable monkey and low ceiling.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This MU is for sure slightly in our favor, played against a Diddy yesterday and noticed Rob has almost as effective nanner game as Diddy. Also learn to instant item toss whatever it is, it helps a lot. Diddy kills us at later % than we do him.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I don't agree at all. R.O.B. can impossibly has 60:40 against Diddy Kong. I can agree with an even matchup, but not that. 55:45 R.O.B.... okay but no. =/
I vote for 55:45 Diddy Kong, or if you persist, 50:50. ([^^]

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I don't agree at all. R.O.B. can impossibly has 60:40 against Diddy Kong. I can agree with an even matchup, but not that. 55:45 R.O.B.... okay but no. =/
Instead of just disagreeing provide some reasoning.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Uhh, in English? Anyway, do you have any sort of argument? I have a good amount of Diddy experience, and I find Diddy to be one of my favorite MU's, it's just so easy to control his bananas, and we have a lot more options than Diddy in most cases. Plus our recovery is so much better than his, we can easily follow him offstage and get him far enough where he can't recover and easily get back up. We also don't horribly suck on certain CP's.

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
diddy picks up tops pretty easily with that godly dash attack and his bananas bounce the top away from him when thrown at each other, it's annoying haha

btw, how do you do that instant throw? z-catch --> c-stick throw?

My good friend mains diddy and I play him all the time. A lot of problems come from his nanner+side-b kick approach. The kick has crazy priority and hits rob from a really stupid angle up top. F-tilts are good to stop that, but the short-hopped nanners also hit that same angle and the f-tilt won't block those.
I feel like the match up is pretty even, but we rarely do counterpicks.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
For the first, don't complain on my english, I'm born in Sweden, okay?

Second, maybe I suck on the MU, I think so. I don't play many Diddy Kongs, so it was wrong of me. I listen to you with more experience in this matchup, but I have played some good Diddy Kongs. I would say this is an even matchup then, but I know many of you disagree with me.

And when we are talking about matchups, is it online, offline or both?

Sudai

Stuff here
The solution to Diddy's item control. ROB takes control of the items. ROB simply has better item control when he has the items than when Diddy does so he can utilize them better, and once he gets one, he's good at getting the other. The only problem is, if Diddy keeps both, we're in trouble, but it's not hard to get one.

2 Banana Safety: Grab one, use it to try to get the other, immediately shot the gyro onto of the banana so even if diddy picks up one he gets ****ed by the other and we have a super long glidetoss to punish him,

This gives Diddy a 1 banana situation. It lowers ROB's item effectiveness by a larger percentage than it lowers Diddy's item effectiveness, and Diddy still has awesome combos with 1 nana. Only problem is, if ROB gets one banana, you're almost forced to pull another and then we have both just like above.

Then lastly, there's the no banana Diddy. Honestly, this gives me the hardest trouble. I'm not saying this is how it'll be for every ROB player though. Really, I recommend all Diddy's start with however many nana's they're comfortable with and scale usage accordingly based on how good the other person is with items. Just rememeber, ROB with your items > You with your items. Camping with 3 projectiles and extra stage control = <<<<3333333333

Zwarm

Smash Hero
For the first, don't complain on my english, I'm born in Sweden, okay?

Second, maybe I suck on the MU, I think so. I don't play many Diddy Kongs, so it was wrong of me. I listen to you with more experience in this matchup, but I have played some good Diddy Kongs. I would say this is an even matchup then, but I know many of you disagree with me.

And when we are talking about matchups, is it online, offline or both?
Sorry, that was just hard to understand. But yea, offline always.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yea, English is a pretty stupid language when you think about it. So many exceptions to grammar rules, and exceptions to those exceptions. XD

Top Bottom