• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MDL0 files from Non-Brawl games

JackThorn

Smash Cadet
Got something I wanna add, here.
Dead Rising: Chop 'Till You Drop DOES use MDL0 files.

Here's how to get to them.

In the Chara/ch01 folder (Frank West's folder), you'll find numbered folders. These are parts of Frank. Like hair, hands, head, shoes, body and extras like helmets and sunglasses.

Just for the sake of this little tutorial, in 00, which is his head and hands folder, open the ch010000 folder and you'll see a few files. The ones you need to take interest in are the brmdl and brtex files.

Simply rename the brmdl and brtex files to brres and you'll instantly be able to open them. However, the models need to be hexed (I just use the auto-header tool).

For the other characters, which use lpk files, you'll need a hex editor.

Open the lpk file of your choice and in the text part of your hex editor, locate the start of the brres file (you should just see text saying bres. Delete everything that comes before it. The bres section isn't far from the start of the file.

Here's an example:

The part that's highlighted in blue is the part that needs to go.

Then just run the header fixing program and you should be able to get the model, now.

The models are HUGE compared to Brawl, so you WILL need to down scale them. Not sure how much they need to be down scaled by, though.

Legend_Of_Wii

Smash Rookie
You might want to include Guitar Hero: Aerosmith in the List of known games that DO NOT have MDL0 files. The models are .ngc filetype, and they are located in parts folder.
We can't play as Steven. =(

thanyou

Smash Journeyman
Wow, very few bones on that model o.O

Either way an impressive find, good job Thorn.

BobHop

Smash Rookie
I don't know if it works with all CHR0s, but it does with pokepark and Monster Hunter ones. Select a CHR0, then on the right, put a large number on the Frame Count, then change the Unknown large values to 0, then rename it to whatever you want and test it.
Awesome ! That's just what I wanted to know ! :chuckle:

I've been messing with MH3 models lately and succeeded to some extent, but couldn't figure out by myself how to get animations working on the creatures. It seems I was just missing the part you mentioned, alexjol ; now it works perfect, thanks !

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
i don't know if this is allowed to be discussed but how do you get the .mdl0 file from a game? i do i just put my game disk in my computer or something?

If the mdl0's are packed in .fpk files then the auto resizer hates it, espicially the face and hands.

Then again, Naruto's always looked like that to me.
ROFLCOPTER (sorry if this is considered spam but i just couldn't resist XD:laugh:)

BobHop

Smash Rookie
Done some testing tonight :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lRklRFv_wc

I still wonder why the blueish hue that darkens some vertices... In fact I'm thinking, could it be caused by the huge size of the model ? The whole default "floor" plan, as displayed in BrawlBox, isn't bigger than one foot of the wyvern ; maybe it would go better if I scaled the model down beforehand ?

Will have to try. ^^

Fen__

Smash Ace
i don't know if this is allowed to be discussed but how do you get the .mdl0 file from a game? i do i just put my game disk in my computer or something?
A very, very small number of DVD drives read Wii discs. If you're in the majority here (you have one that does not), then there is a homebrew app that rips the disc while it's in your Wii and streams it to your comp. I don't recall its name, though. It's been mentioned several times at random points in the thread if you get really desperate to know haha.

KyuubiDemon1

Smash Apprentice
A very, very small number of DVD drives read Wii discs. If you're in the majority here (you have one that does not), then there is a homebrew app that rips the disc while it's in your Wii and streams it to your comp. I don't recall its name, though. It's been mentioned several times at random points in the thread if you get really desperate to know haha.
i guess i need to find the name for it!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
i guess i need to find the name for it!
For legality's sake, it's better if we leave it at that...

ROFLCOPTER (sorry if this is considered spam but i just couldn't resist XD:laugh:)
Just don't double post next time :p

Gamez1985

Smash Rookie
Oh PLEASE post that Jill as SOON as it is playable to ANY degree!

I LOVE Resident Evil. ESPECIALLY on Gamecube.

KingDryBones

Smash Cadet
Mario Galay 2 uses .ARC file type?

I would like to confirm Super Mario Galaxy 2 uses .ARC files... but i am not sure if they need to be hexed to use or they can be used in brawlbox/brawl automatically like some games...
can someone confirm this?

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
hmmmm... apparently arcman cant extract them... but it can't be... they are .arc's!!!
i wanted to bring Throwback Galaxy to brawl!!!!! :( it's no fair! you suck nintendo! :mad:
I used Yaz0Dec.exe to decompress the ARC files, and then I used RARCDump.exe to extract them.

Yes, they are the exact same format as the first Super Mario Galaxy. I was able to view Cloud Mario's model in BMDView, for example.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
lol over master hand, someones special taunt, over an item, an item of it's own, how many possibilities are there lol

Top Bottom