• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Want to money match? I am new to this community, but I am pretty good with Samus. She is so good, her ball of doom! I pwn with it, and I am learning this bomb jump stuff. SO GOOD! I need the practice.
I'll MM you AIDS :chuckle:
Samus Ditto ONLY best of 5

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
Want to money match? I am new to this community, but I am pretty good with Samus. She is so good, her ball of doom! I pwn with it, and I am learning this bomb jump stuff. SO GOOD! I need the practice.
LOL nice try bren won't stfu about you since you guys got third, your on :bee:

AIDS

Smash Lord
It's true, I think your samus is amazing and it inspires me :)
Honestly, I think you are better then me in some match ups. I just have lots of experience with Falcon, Fox, Falco and all the used and abused Characters. The ones you always see!

LOL nice try bren won't stfu about you since you guys got third, your on :bee:
I will be there on the 15th, not 16th, so let me know how the set will work. I been practicing man, I hope my coin match practice helps.

I'll MM you AIDS :chuckle:
Samus Ditto ONLY best of 5
Even though I suck at Samus ditto's I accept. :laugh:

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Honestly, I think you are better then me in some match ups. I just have lots of experience with Falcon, Fox, Falco and all the used and abused Characters. The ones you always see!
Idk, we're both awesome, as we have the triforce

I will be there on the 15th, not 16th, so let me know how the set will work. I been practicing man, I hope my coin match practice helps.
Good **** man, coin matches help me get better too :laugh:

Even though I suck at Samus ditto's I accept. :laugh:
Yay. How much?

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
hey aids remember me

flash back: AIDS: ill give you this $$$ and we'll just call this my win ^_^

holy crap i never knew how to make that smiley face befor btw jamey main falco 0.0

Amanze

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I am Amanze and I just made a account here. I have a few Videos I would like to get looked at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQYE6KL0zI- Losers Finals Game 1 + 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt1rVtTYDDg- Losers Finals Game 3 + 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6O9OEF4l1I- Losers Finals Game 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RzWtjGUEp4- Winners Bracket Round 2 Game 1 + 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh383tEVAgk- Winners Bracket Round 2 Game 3

Unlike alot of other Samus players, Falco is my personal hardest match. I really don't like having my movement limited by Lasers and because of the way I wavedash, it makes wavedashing ou to fshiled very difficult (Though I am trying to change it).

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
the only thing i can say is that you gotta stop nairing your opponent on a platform when they're shielding
i think it's better if you fair or upair (i upair)
i saw this a lot on the first match

Pi

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I am Amanze and I just made a account here. I have a few Videos I would like to get looked at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQYE6KL0zI- Losers Finals Game 1 + 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt1rVtTYDDg- Losers Finals Game 3 + 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6O9OEF4l1I- Losers Finals Game 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RzWtjGUEp4- Winners Bracket Round 2 Game 1 + 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh383tEVAgk- Winners Bracket Round 2 Game 3

Unlike alot of other Samus players, Falco is my personal hardest match. I really don't like having my movement limited by Lasers and because of the way I wavedash, it makes wavedashing ou to fshiled very difficult (Though I am trying to change it).
Falco is a ***** to fight if you are use to being mobile

Your spacing, timing, tech chasing, and follow ups were good

Your approaching was probably the worst aspect of your game.

Vs. falco you honestly shouldn't be approaching all that much, he will come to you, they all do. Make sure you have mastered WD OoS and while you should be waiting for him to approach, you shouldn't be hiding in shield either, be as mobile as you can while keeping a good position to take advantage of his mistakes.

Lasers aren't that big of deal, yes they restrict movement, but falco can't do the same **** on you he can do to others, if he hits your shield, or comes in for a grab, you can UB him.
Intercepting with UB is good, but it's also not as reliable as waiting to get hit.

I saw you miss a lot of opportunities to punish missed techs, personally, if I see someone get knocked to the ground in a pretty short window, I expect the missed tech.

If they miss a tech on a platform, just wait for them to do something, you have time to respond to anything, if you want to bait a movement then WD in place or something.

Your edgeguards were good

Falco can only combo you if you let him, by this I mean after 1 or 2 hits, you are pretty much out of hitstun and can jump away, but I saw a lot you would try to attack back.

I've played mediocre falco's, and great falco's. The great ones will continue to combo you, the mediocre ones will get hit by your nair trying to follow up.

It's frustrating, but some times you need to just get out of the combo then get back to the ground and resume your positioning game.

Your job should be to make the falco hesitate to approach you by UBing all his ****, then he will play a bit defensively, and most likely a little stupid. He won't want to approach you so he'll be trying to bait your approaches with lasers, wave dash into him and see how he responds, if you see that he jumps for a laser or something, you can hit him if you get in close enough, a lot of falco's will shield which I saw you looking for, in which case you can grab, it's just risky.

I pretty much don't grab when I'm at kill %

My basic strat vs falco's is to:
1) Not approach till I figure out their playstyle
2) Stay as mobile as possible to make them think they can approach, then counter it

Once you learn their playstyle you can start approaching, once falco's on the ground take advantage of it, you MUST adapt to how they tech and get them off the stage, once they are off the stage they need to die

Geist

Smash Master
Quick tip on stopping laser whores from approaching: Spam A.
Pretty much samus will jab or nair and falco will pretty much run into it. If they start giving trouble with spacing then UpBOoS or spam grab perhaps. This sounds incredibly stupid on paper, but it works on less experienced players.

That's a lot of footage and I'm much to lazy to watch it all at the moment. But I'll critique on the first two links.
Think pretty much covered anything I can say about the matchup so I'll talk about general stuff. Your biggest limiting factor right now is tech skill. Advice is useless if you can't implement it into your game. Practice transitioning your moves together, because I see a lot of time between each of your moves. It's not just about getting more moves out though, you could be using a lot of that time for things like spacing and setting up.
I don't know how long you've been playing, but from experience I can see that you're at a point where a little bit of practice can go a long way.

Work on getting yourself around the stage faster. Like Think said, Falco can be a ***** if you depend on mobility, but it only makes it easier for him to pressure you if you're floating in the air half the match. Utilze wavelands fast falling to get yourself around the stage quickly. If you keep an eye on Falco's positioning, you can still be very mobile if you're quick enough.

Spacing is big, some people would argue that good spacing is really the only way to win with Samus. When playing in friendlies, focus on hitting your opponent from as far away as possible the entire match, even if you have to line every one of your shots up at first to do it.

Approaching with Samus usually puts you at a disadvantage, at least when you're approaching from half way across the stage. Instead, get in and stay in close proximity of your opponent. This way you're not deliberately putting yourself in danger and your opponent isn't in much of a position to take advantage of you, ie, with lasers.

Your grabs are consistant, but only because the person you were playing kept falling for them. IMO I could argue either you were grappling to much, or just grappling at obvious times. Try to use grabs like a trump card. A sort of "**** you I'm samus" at the right moments is always priceless. Useless if they see one coming though, so use it sparingly.

- Also, CC fox. Falco not so much. His attacks aren't so friendly at higher percents.

- When spacies shine your missiles, you can dash attack into them, which will cancel out your dash attack, leaving you to follow up with another move.

- save your double jumps, because if you get hit after you use them it can mean a whole lot of damage on your part.

- sweetspotting is nice because you don't die.

- rolling is always a bad thing. Try not to do it with samus, ever. Satan eats a baby every time you roll.

- Missile cancel more often too. Standing missile is so 2001

AIDS

Smash Lord
Yay. How much?
How about.....$4.99? best of 5?

Hey I've been playing Samus for a good while now, and I feel as though I'm not getting any better :\ Can anyone maybe give me some pointers on what I should be concentrating on, or something? I would greatly appreciate it.

If you wish, skip to the Samus match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHPiPYenpo

Advice:

First and most important, never play Roy again and pray for forgiveness.
Going forward, You are too predictable, and this area kills your recovery especially. as soon as you grapple your invincibility ends of your air dodge, and the moment I see that air dodge, I know when you will grapple, then you get gimped. Mix up your recovery, learn to use rising grapple, it sweet spots easy. Also mix up your bomb jump, cause the moment you lay the first bomb, if you are going to use it to bomb jump I will know exactly where that bomb lands and that is where i will attack.

That was the main thing but you could also do less Dairs and more walk off edge into Nair, and also less grab attempts after missiles. It gets predictable after a couple attempts.

Besides that it looked pretty good, keep it up.

Geist

Smash Master
Hey I've been playing Samus for a good while now, and I feel as though I'm not getting any better :\ Can anyone maybe give me some pointers on what I should be concentrating on, or something? I would greatly appreciate it.

If you wish, skip to the Samus match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWHPiPYenpo

A lot of the mistakes you made could be prevented though a bit of general polishing, and a lot of the things you did good could be improved through the same means.
Some of your mistakes were obvious, like using your DJ too early and getting juggled, SDing, etc. Like AIDS said, most of your approach game and recovery was mad predictable.

Work on sweet spotting screw attack. A mind-bogglingy large amount of people seem to ignore it. Just because screw attack has invincibility frames and ridiculous priority doesn't mean it's unpunishable.

You have good grapple usage and missile set ups, and decent spacing too. Some of your timing is a bit messed up, like the nairs you whiffed during platform tech chasing, and your airdodges when recovering were almost always punished.

Practice edge guarding too. There were some opennings that you could have really punished that Marth for and you could have possibly taken off a stock for more than once.

Work a bit on your defensive game. One of the more effective things to do against marth is to WD out of shield when he messes up his attacks, notably Fsmash. Overall, you didn't use your shield much and a lot of hits he landed were easily preventable.

Against fox, you want to keep yourself out of the air, at least when he's in close proximity.
Fox can and will combo you all day in midair. This means minimize air time by fast falling and wavelanding on platforms, and cover yourself with missiles. CCing dtilt/dsmash is good, and spacies are easy edgeguarding.

Speed it up too. Maximize your WD distance to get around faster, hit all your lcancels and get moving as soon as they end. In higher level play you need to use up as much of that transition time as necessary, so get the timing perfect.

resTy

Smash Champion
Stop jumping so much. It's getting you killed/taken advantage of.
And don't attack every time you're falling back down esp against those pesky top tiers.
If they are at least average, you will lose that battle every time.
Use your shield. It stops stuff from hurting you.
Everyone else touched up on the specific crap :')

Geist

Smash Master
In general:
You're lucky that player didn't take advantage of all those whiffed SWDs. You have good consistancy overall, but you still use it too much, and I don't recall anything good ever coming out of it.
You have a bad habit of DJ when not neccessary.
Actively edgeguard more. Try to get them off the stage earlier, and keep them off. The only kills you got in are when your opponent SD'd, or when you killed them off stage at high percent.
Punish your opponents for being obvious. Both players DJ'd almost 100% of the time after you dthrowed, and they went for a >B or a blind attack most of the time you tried to approach them in the air afterwards. That sort of stuff is easily punished.
Also, you're recovery needs work. A bit obvious imo.

Against Marth:
you never, ever want to try and hit him with a dair while descending.
Conserve your double jumps. Marth is among some of the characters who can severely juggle you if you have no jumps, pretty much from 0-death.

Against sheik:
Sheik is just gay, lol
Jab and ftilt more, and don't close in on her so much, because she ***** you with everything.
If you're recovering, worry more about being in line with needles than anything else. One gimp, and it won't matter either way.
You can edgeguard sheik as easily as she can edgeguard you. Take the ledge, and force her to recover on stage. When she lands she has a big amount of lag, letting you take your sweet old time to hit her back off.

Other than that, you're looking good for 4-5 months of playing.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Blowtoes : Thanks<3 :D I'll keep all that in mind. But my recoveries. LOL. I kind of just get nervous, but yeah I'll work on them. And for the SWD, hmmm. They're really surprising sometimes. I think I fell in love with it after this match. (the last kill especially)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TOlGMdCGOU

TheLifeRuiner : Thanks. :p You should! Grabbing leads to so many combos. I guess the getting punished thing sucks.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
god**** why are there so many sheiks and marths in irvine lol

also don't get too good cuz then i'ma have jason telling me he has samus practice if we play in tourney hahaha ;)

resTy

Smash Champion
You vs. Jkun
You only threw one tilt in the entire set and it missed..
Don't really know how to respond to that lol..
Cool SWDashes though..

EDIT: Found some stuff you should work on (most of which are basics):
- Spacing; you rely too heavily on CC. It's not a good idea against good players.
- Use tilts; they're better/more reliable than smash moves.
- Wavedash a tiny bit more; this goes along with spacing. Wavedash could get you out of a ton of sticky situations that I saw you in. Instead of trading, wavedash out.
- Don't attack whenever you're falling back down so often; it's a bad idea against top tiers.
- Be more patient; even aggressive players need a little patience. Just choose your shots better.

EDIT2: Just read that you've only been competitive for 4-5. For being so new, you aren't too bad.

AntoPark

Smash Lord
When I'm falling down against marths, falcons, and even links, they all have u-airs that rip through all my moves. :[
What's the best way to come down safely?

Pi

Smash Hero
You wanna try not to be in the air in the first place
but when coming down save your jump, bomb, you can use the bomb's as a kind of shield if you are high enough up, and air dodge when applicable

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
you could also alternatively try not coming down from above, and move the side to recover from the ledge, which would be easier

mind you this won't work every time, and you wanna mix it up

or you could just not get sent into the air
that's probably the safest thing i could recommend

resTy

Smash Champion
Basically, when you're falling, don't land directly on top of their head.
That's the moral of the story I guess...

Pi

Smash Hero
Also don't try to attack them on the way down unless you are coming down diagonal and feel your nair is going to hit.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Critique me and AIDS' samus's:
I'm the one with the AIDS tag, so dont get confused.
He's KFC-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj_s1FITIgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBuba7C75s

Open to any criticism and whatnot :chuckle:
I lol'd so hard. Should of got more sleep that night. still fun.
There was some okay stuff, but second match I sucked huge. I also think the time we teamed before this we pulled off some much nicer combo's with our double Samus, next time we will do it and **** the Washington players again.:laugh:

Geist

Smash Master
lol epic double Samus xD
I can't critique doubles though. Too much going on.
That also makes me realize I've never seen vids of either of you in singles matches.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
lol epic double Samus xD
I can't critique doubles though. Too much going on.
That also makes me realize I've never seen vids of either of you in singles matches.
lol i got a mm recorded, im still waiting for it

Geist

Smash Master
Unedited vids. Some of them get pretty choppy, the computer we were recording to kept overheating for some reason. :/

http://www.justin.tv/magicsauc3/b/265156456
STARTS @ 2:11 vs. Idea (Jiggs)

http://www.justin.tv/magicsauc3/b/265154783
STARTS @ 14:50 vs Unknown522 (Pichu/Fox). I get ***** second match. His fox is classy.
STARTS @ 23:38 vs Ministry (Sheik)
STARTS @ 40:10 vs Asian Kenny (Marth Falco)

http://www.justin.tv/magicsauc3/b/265155817
STARTS @ 4:10 vs EWC (Fox)

Other friendlies being uploaded too.
I know you're reading this Omni lol
Tell me how much I suck <3

ThePrime

Smash Lord
vs jiggs:
-The first thing i noticed is that you have a bad double jump habit. Stop trying to rely on jumping out of a combo to safety because there were at least two times where he hit you afterwards leaving you with no jump. Better to DI and take the hit (it'll usually be a fair that will hit you after your jump which isn't as bad as a bair).
-Jab and ftilt his shield a bit more. He was free to do things OoS whenever he wanted, the pressure denies him that freedom. Plus you might be able to force a roll if you pressure hard enough, but only bad jiggs players do this.
-Mind how you recover. You up-b way high and fastfall down, not sure if that was an accident or if you felt safe doing it - but it leaves you really vulnerable.

vs unknown's fox:
-again, the double jumps. LIke, seriously this time lol. Unknown was doing a really great job just waiting for the DJ and hitting you. He did this all game and was probably a big reason why the game was so one sided.
-you're in the air too much
-try baiting his drill/nair with a waveland back uptitlt, it's something i love to do.

vs shiek:
-man you gotta stop coming down with dairs lol, it doesnt work vs good players and it sure won't work vs sheik.
-Everytime he grabbed you it was close to a platform, and i think the first two grabs were directly under one. I always try to DI for my life to the platform and techroll to avoid getting faired or general sheik nonsense >_>
-I saw you got one grab off, but it didnt look like you knew what to do out of it. You were on that slant part of the map so it was kinda awkward, but i like to ftilt out of a downthrow. It catches them if they dont DI or if they DI away. If they DI away walk 1 or 2 steps to make sure the spacing is right. At higher percents you can fsmash out of downthrow.
(I suck vs sheik so not sure how legit my advice is btw)

eh too lazy to watch the rest LOL my bad

Geist

Smash Master
lol I actually win in the last vids :p

Thanks for the advice. :D
Yeah I have a jumping fetish lol. I also panic when under constant pressuring like vs unknown. A lot of my bad habits pop up, and that's something I need to get rid of.
I also need a better OoS game, and I need to use the right moves when Wavelanding from platforms. Watching myself play in hindsight I can see how many awful mistakes I make.

Omniscius

Smash Cadet
Unedited vids. Some of them get pretty choppy, the computer we were recording to kept overheating for some reason. :/

http://www.justin.tv/magicsauc3/b/265156456
STARTS @ 2:11 vs. Idea (Jiggs)

http://www.justin.tv/magicsauc3/b/265154783
STARTS @ 14:50 vs Unknown522 (Pichu/Fox). I get ***** second match. His fox is classy.
STARTS @ 23:38 vs Ministry (Sheik)
STARTS @ 40:10 vs Asian Kenny (Marth Falco)

http://www.justin.tv/magicsauc3/b/265155817
STARTS @ 4:10 vs EWC (Fox)

Other friendlies being uploaded too.
I know you're reading this Omni lol
Tell me how much I suck <3
vs. Idea:
- You were almost always fighting at the edge of the stage while jigglypuff controlled the center. This means that any hit sends you off-stage where you are at a distinct disadvantage. Try to work your way into center stage and do your best to keep control of it.
- In general, up-tilt more to counter jigglypuff's aerial approach; and platform missile spam when she's on the ground but not too close to you. When you hit her far away take the time to charge up your beam while she's recovering since there's nothing you can do to hamper her recovery anyway.

vs. Unknown522:
- Against Pichu you seemed to purposefully overshoot the ledge with your up-B recovery a lot, which is just begging to be punished. I'm not sure why you did this so much :S
- Against Fox I don't have much to say, Unknown522 is just really good :( Try to stay on the ground i guess and up-B out of shield to mitigate his ridiculous pressure. Also wavedash back -> stuff is good.

vs. Ministry:
- Most glaring problem i saw was in edgeguarding sheik: grab that ledge! Don't bother with missile spam when she's off the stage, just grab the ledge, refresh your invisibility, and force her to recover on the stage.

vs. Asian Kenny:
- You did well against his Marth, but he didn't really know the matchup too well. When recovering from high don't try to challenge him with your aerials, especially your downair. Just focus on grabbing the ledge.
- Against falco...ugh, i hate that matchup. You want to keep falco reasonably close to you so you don't get lasered and can use your up-B to negate his shield pressure. Often I saw you run away and do your platform-waveland-dropdown-missile thing. Laser spam makes missile cancelling difficult in general so I wouldn't recommend this strategy against falco. You can try jumping to a platform-cancelled homing missile which will require Falco to stop laser spamming momentarily. Use this interlude to close the distance between you and falco quickly and try to stay close to him with your shield up. Once close, wavedash around in shield to bait an aerial on your shield then up-B him.

vs. EWC:
- Nice use of up-tilt to edgeguard, and your full-charge blasts were working well for you too. Again, don't try to challenge fox with your downair while recovering. His backair will beat ALL your aerials so don't even try unless he does something really laggy and you know it'll hit.

Overall: Your style involves a lot of platform work, either wavelanding or dropping off a platform into an aerial/missile. While this can work in some situations, it becomes predictable and leaves you open to attack from underneath where Samus is very vulnerable. I feel much safer grounded, wavedashing in and out of shield...but IHSB makes the platform style work so meh, what do I know? Our Samus dittos were fun, hopefully we'll get to team sometime!

Here's my set vs. RaynEX from the same tournament. Any advice would be appreciated, especially recovering vs. fox when he's refreshing his invisibility and using backair/shine to edgeguard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmoKFUYguNA

abcool

Smash Ace
I've just seen your match. I haven't been a samus main for that long, but what i saw was 2 problems. You were playing txt book most of the match which is good. I think raynex caught on to you though so it seem you started choking when he switched up his style and u started dodging randomly. You also started playing it to safe and hiding in your shield, my friend uses samus and i used to main fox and if i tried to utilt or dtilt him with fox at ;ow percents, i would eat a dsmash, simply because he traded hits. Which i think is one of samus's better aspects. hiding in you shield gives u limited options and that is wdoos or up-b you could have cc at low percents and downsmash those uptilts. Other than that you got lost and fell victim to the pressure.

DOTA_owns_all

Smash Rookie
Match #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENDVUPTpf9E&feature=related

Match #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNDHGbKe18M

A recent tourny set of me going up against a local pro. I tend to tense up when I know they're better than me. He chose falcon, and I believe I should have been able to beat that falcon the second time but when I get nervous I tend to use that Down smash too much... I chose pokemon for the counterpick because I like the missle spam but would fountain of dreams been a better counter pick? First time really sucked.

Critiques greatly appreciated :D

Top Bottom