• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 8: -TOP 50 POSTED-

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone tell me how to do those movesets with the images? I want to make up a moveset, but I want it to look cool so that people willl want to read it. I already have parts of a moveset thought up, I just need help with the presentation. Could anyone tell me what was used to make movesets like that?

Also, since this is the 8th one, it makes me wonder, has anyone done a moveset on Micaiah or Sothe in a previous contest? They're from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I believe both Micaiah and Sothe have been done...but in way earlier MYMs. Doesn't matter too much though, you're more than welcome to make them yourself so long as they're different enough than the previous one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6338550&postcount=7952 <- Micaiah
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4965344&postcount=1217 <- Sothe and Micaiah

As for making image sets...you'd probably be best off asking Junahu or JOE! for help on those. Both of them make great quality image sets. TWILTHERO and SkylerOcon also make some pretty good image sets so any of those would probably be helpful.

And I know I'm painfully behind on comments, sorry >.<;
:007:

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Oh ho ho, Smady, what, stars? What is this madness? Well, my curious friend, I have gone to the [non-]painstaking process of rating all movesets thus far in the contest on my first page post, also available through my signature image link. I basically figured that we hadn't done anything of this sort since MYM1 for silly 'fun rules' and it seems like a good practice in promoting friendly in-thread competition; remember that this is all my impressions, not that of MYM as a whole.

I decided to list the ratings in terms of star rating, then by the first moveset of that group posted to try and counter-act some vote splits. I also have them linked up to my comments, which I'll go back and edit ratings into soon. If anyone wants to start up their own sort of thing like this, go ahead - in fact, I'd love you to. I'd appreciate any feedback on this experiment of mine as well, just to know I'm wuv'd. :chuckle:
That's very clever, actually. ;)

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
I believe both Micaiah and Sothe have been done...but in way earlier MYMs. Doesn't matter too much though, you're more than welcome to make them yourself so long as they're different enough than the previous one.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6338550&postcount=7952 <- Micaiah
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4965344&postcount=1217 <- Sothe and Micaiah

As for making image sets...you'd probably be best off asking Junahu or JOE! for help on those. Both of them make great quality image sets. TWILTHERO and SkylerOcon also make some pretty good image sets so any of those would probably be helpful.

And I know I'm painfully behind on comments, sorry >.<;
Thank you for the links. Glad to see that no one has made a Sothe-only moveset. But I checked the Micaiah moveset, and the only other similarity is a few move names; my Micaiah moveset has a different style and focus. Can I still post it?

And since you recommended it, I'll ask them:
@Junahu and/or JOE!: Can either one of you help me with making an image moveset?

EDIT: I checked again; Rewarp is nothing like my move, but a victory pose and one other pose (can't remember which) are similar, but not too much like mine.

JOE!

Smash Hero
just use photoshop and the text tool within it ;)

@smady:

you stars are lol. You ignored my set due to writing, but praised hariyama, A POKEMON, for having generic imputs ala PO, whose character's **** themes were that they had so little to work with...

wtf?

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Thank you for the links. Glad to see that no one has made a Sothe-only moveset. But I checked the Micaiah moveset, and the only other similarity is a few move names; my Micaiah moveset has a different style and focus. Can I still post it?

And since you recommended it, I'll ask them:
@Junahu and/or JOE!: Can either one of you help me with making an image moveset?

EDIT: I checked again; Rewarp is nothing like my move, but a victory pose and one other pose (can't remember which) are similar, but not too much like mine.
If it's just move names that are similar, that's totally fine. I know how the FE universe is with all their spells and such so similar names are most likely unavoidable. Post your set whenever you're ready ^_^
:008:

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice

@smady:

you stars are lol. You ignored my set due to writing, but praised hariyama, A POKEMON, for having generic imputs ala PO, whose character's **** themes were that they had so little to work with...

wtf?
How can I get photoshop on my computer? If it makes a difference, I use a laptop most of the time, since it's faster than the house computer.

@MarthTrinity: Cool, thank you for letting me know that.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
http://www.gimp.org/

^ here would be GIMP's home page, which has an advantage over Photoshop of being free and I know it works on both PC and Mac (Windows 7 is a PC). Although I've heard from some people that PS is more user-friendly.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
http://www.gimp.org/

^ here would be GIMP's home page, which has an advantage over Photoshop of being free and I know it works on both PC and Mac (Windows 7 is a PC). Although I've heard from some people that PS is more user-friendly.
Tyvm. I'll do a bit of research, then get one of these programs on my computer so I can make my movesets.

Smady

Smash Master

@smady:

wtf?
I've already talked to you about it in detail, but the writing in Spartan Warrior needs serious work. As, I felt, with Dark Samus and Scarmiglione, the entire set is pulled down by the droning style of writing which really doesn't pull any punches. That was my biggest complaint, but I also felt the moveset itself just wasn't that interesting - Hariyama was a favourite of mine due to its flowing playstyle and staying true to character; while SW was impressive to keep to that archetype, it doesn't pull this sort of thing off as gracefully.

If you want to talk about the actual moveset some more, I commented that the moveset is almost clinically under-balanced - he's extremely bad at recovering, but also is capable of losing his range by breaking the Doru Spear, making himself extremely vulnerable. While I did like the concept of a slow, shielding opponent who's sort of like a SSE enemy with the invulnerability and static countering [in my mind, at least], it's still a very cumbersome approach that lacks the flow of a moveset like Hariyama that similarly keeps to a tight round-up of moves. There are some neat ideas scattered throughout the moveset, but it seems very difficult to find them when every move is a tidal wave of text - it's a legitimate problem.

And this is only my opinion, I'm not claiming this is all the complete truth, so don't take it so offensively. I was only trying to help you out with my comment and the score is my personal ranking of it compared to what I feel is the current flagpost, where I feel SW lags behind in several key areas and I think I've elaborated on them all enough to substantiate a below-average score.

JOE!

Smash Hero
the crap recovery is a meh problem for one reason: when is he gonna be flung anywhere to where that will be a problem? :p

even if he's played sloppy, he takes 7x as many hits to get to just like 60% than it does any other character, and then he has snake's weight.

Smady

Smash Master
the crap recovery is a meh problem for one reason: when is he gonna be flung anywhere to where that will be a problem? :p

even if he's played sloppy, he takes 7x as many hits to get to just like 60% than it does any other character, and then he has snake's weight.
I suppose you have a point there, but I felt you were going for balance more through the range over the extremely weightiness. Without the spear, wouldn't he find it much harder to hit with his then current moves? It doesn't matter if it takes longer to throw him off stage, it'll eventually happen if he's too slow to counter it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
his Xiphos trades range for speed, and allows for faster counter-moves out of his shield abilities, making him just as annoying to approach as he was with the spear, but easier to get close to.

But then you still have to get by the shield either way

Smady

Smash Master
That said, SW hardly needs help at close-range and most moves leave him at a disadvantage where he can be attacked from behind, so he really needs the range and pressure to keep the opponent off his back. Without the spear, he has no way of keeping enemies from rolling behind him and foregoing any of his shield buffs; I feel it's, as Jun said, a really pointless addition and just makes the moveset feel convoluted to read and I imagine to play as.

JOE!

Smash Hero
how is it pointless?

Spartans used the Doru primarily, but when that failed they went with the Xiphos. That, and how would he work after Javelin Toss?

Yes, he is less formidable with only the Xiphos, but at the same time he becomes faster (attack wise), has better aerial attacks and has Down B to counter (melee) moves from behind

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
I have to agree with JOE! here. The Spartan's Xiphos makes him faster than he is with the Doru, which is always a big help. And even without the Doru, the Spartan always has his greatest defensive and offensive weapon: the shield.

One thing that brought the SW down, in my opinion, was the lack of extras. Especially match-ups. Now, you might flame me for writing down a lack of extras as a main complaint. But match-ups are sort of an extension of a character's playstyle, and how well the MYMer knows it.

But I can understand that since JOE! was in a coma, just writing this set must have been hard enough for him. So keep that in mind, will ya?

Smady

Smash Master
how is it pointless?

Spartans used the Doru primarily, but when that failed they went with the Xiphos. That, and how would he work after Javelin Toss?

Yes, he is less formidable with only the Xiphos, but at the same time he becomes faster (attack wise), has better aerial attacks and has Down B to counter (melee) moves from behind
You don't need to religiously follow what spartan warriors did, you know, but you still build a playstyle from early on that relies on keeping the enemy at a longer range - I doubt that a spartan in a situation like smash, with such small platforms, would even need to use his Xiphos anyway if we ignore that it's a moot point. The Doru spear hardly seems to "fail" at a use when he just throws it away; it would make much more sense if he just regularly impaled with it at hand. That entire mechanic seems very weak.

I have to agree with JOE! here. The Spartan's Xiphos makes him faster than he is with the Doru, which is always a big help. And even without the Doru, the Spartan always has his greatest defensive and offensive weapon: the shield.

One thing that brought the SW down, in my opinion, was the lack of extras. Especially match-ups. Now, you might flame me for writing down a lack of extras as a main complaint. But match-ups are sort of an extension of a character's playstyle, and how well the MYMer knows it.

But I can understand that since JOE! was in a coma, just writing this set must have been hard enough for him. So keep that in mind, will ya?
I just don't see how the Spartan benefits, as a moveset, from the addition of the Xiphos . It's a nice reference, but it slows down the flow of things immensely by forcing a short-range approach and takes up a good chunk of the explaining time where Joe has to talk us through what the Xiphos does in this situation.

Maybe I'm just ranting on SW at this point, though. I did enjoy parts of the moveset: it's no Jason, but I will contest it's not up there with Scarmiglione or Regal, who are either very well thought out or flow really good. Really, I can see how a person with brain damage could write some of these droning parts of the set; Joe's fault it may not be, but it's still a twosey.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
SOLAR MAN

INFO

Solar Man comes from the pretty recent game, Mega Man 10. I'm sure you all have heard of it in the chat and whatnot. He worked at a sunlight research lab before succumbing to the Roboenza virus, making him run rampant. Anyhow, Solar Man is considered a fairly difficult, if you're trying to beat him with your basic pea-shooter. However, water defeats him quite quickly unfortunately. Solar Man attacks by shooting his Solar Blaze projectile, a limited-range strike that can hit from behind enemies.

In the game, shooting the miniature sun on his head will make it grow larger, making him more powerful as a result. His attacks get more range, too, and so Solar Man is all-around more menacing. However, hitting him with the Water Shield makes his sun shrink, thus effectively weakening him. This, of course, translates pretty well to an in-Smash mechanic. By the way, Solar Man's artificial sun deals multi-hit contact damage identical to Lucario's Aura Sphere.

Solar Man absolutely needs to make sure his sun is kept up at full charge, otherwise his attacks get weaker. When his attacks get weaker, Solar Man wants to recharge, otherwise he gets hit more, and KOed. If he isn't KOed, he'll have a hard time recovering. Thankfully it's pretty easy to maintain and build a charge, and attacks that deal a special kind of damage (fire, electric, dark, aura) will power up the sun (but still hit Solar Man). Sunny stages actually make him charge up a bit faster. Even then, you really don't want the sun to go out. When that happens, Solar Man is unable to attack. He absolutely must use the recharge move in order to get back in the game. With that being said, let's get into the moveset.

STAT

SIZE 6/10
Solar Man is bigger than Mario, but he's honestly not that tall.

WEIGHT 8/10
Solar Man is a robot. He is made of metal. Metal is heavy.

POWER 6/10
Solar Man at "overcharge" power (that is, to say, externally boosted) has more kill moves than average, but he is better at damaging than KOing.

GROUND SPEED 3/10
This robot is not very fast. It needs to spend more of its energy doing important things.

AIR SPEED 6/10
Inexplicably, Solar Man can cover a lot of ground with his jump.

FALLING SPEED 9/10
He's a robot! This mainly just reduces the appeal of his aerials.

ATTACK SPEED 8/10
Solar Man has some fast, useful moves, sure, but he does carry a few slow powerful ones.

RANGE 10/10
Ah, good, a stat that is quite complimentary. Yeah, Solar Man can hit just about anywhere on the stage. Only in a place like Hyrule Temple can someone hide from Solar Man.

PRIORITY 10/10
Range and priority tend to go hand-in-hand, and this is no exception.

JUMPS 3/10
Nothing spectacular, though certainly not terrible.

RECOVERY 7/10
At overcharge, Solar Man has a beautiful recovery, but he won't be at even full charge most of the time, especially when recovering.

SPECIAL

DOWN SPECIAL CHARGE
Alright, so with Drifblim, his down special was kind of important, sure, but his Side Special could technically be used for the same purpose. Here, though, Solar Man has no other options to recharge his artificial sun. What this move does is somewhat slowly make his mini-sun grow via holding down B. It automatically stops once you let go, so it's quite a bit easier to use than other charge moves.

As a rule, from minimum charge, it takes a lengthy 5 seconds to reach full charge, so about Ike's Eruption is what we're looking at here. Now, if you're using this move with no charge whatsoever (oh no!), it takes a good deal of time for the solar reactor to boot up, so while you can move around during the startup and the charge, it takes 1.5 seconds for the sun to even appear as a strained mechanical sound is heard. Charge affects every move in range and damage, so you'll see that all of the attacks listed will have varied stats in both. On the plus side, at minimum charge, you can still use up any attack, or if it's one that lasts a longer time, it'll work until energy runs out for good.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL SOLAR BLAZE
This is Solar Man's basic projectile. Basically, he just shoots out a round fiery burst that pauses and then splits in two after a certain distance. The two more wave-like halves always travel more distance than the initial shot, giving this great horizontal range. If it doesn't split, though, the main blast will only be able to hit one target compared to the shockwaves' pass-through properties.

Solar Blaze varies a lot on charge. At minimum charge, this travels a little less than a platform before splitting, each half going a bit more than a platform. At mid-charge, it goes as far as Wolf's blaster, the division going proportionally farther. At overcharge, this is insane. The projectile will go a Final Destination before it splits, each half having INFINITE range! The main projectile does between 5% and 10%, while the blazes each do 7% to 12%.

I feel like I need to explain how the projectile is controlled, though. Tapping B gets these default distances like I mentioned above, but if you hold it down, you can control the burst as it moves forward at the cost of solar energy. Letting go makes the projectile come to a stop and then explode like it would under normal circumstances. Keep in mind that, due to the solar charge depreciating, the blaze power will not be as high as it would be with default distance. This move is capable of KOing at high percents, and is also quite spammable. It's also fairly lenient on solar energy consumption. Don't let that get to your head, you hear?

SIDE SPECIAL SOLAR BEAM
I swear, I didn't have the Pokémon move in mind when I wrote that. Anyway, if you're familiar with the Sentinel Beam from Halo 2/3, you have a sense of what this move does. Solar Man, from the mini-sun, fires a concentrated beam of heat that can be held constantly. The default range ends the laser at just a Bowser ahead of Solar Man, but you can move that point to any place you want it to go. Keep in mind that this move can not travel through walls.

Right, so this energy beam does fairly standard multi-hit damage, but due to its haphazard knockback direction, it is mostly a nice, sweeping interruptor. Damage will start out quite high for an infinite range move, provided you're at full charge-- about 10% a second, in fact. However, due to its lackluster trapping capabilities, it's degraded to a mere sniping tool in Solar Man's extremely versatile palette of ranged moves and projectiles.

UP SPECIAL SPEED BURNER
Alright, so this is probably not entirely unexpected, but hey, it makes sense. Solar Man activates his foot jets (Robot Master, standard issue) and, with a little help from his reactor, takes flight. His maneuverability and speed is better than even R.O.B. when he's in the air. The jets work in a similar way, too, though you must hold up AND B to get the upward motion. If done on a full charge and expending all your energy, Solar Man will honestly just soar, but that has a huge cost. As you can see, dawdling around in the air is not in your best interests here. If you're recovering, all you want to focus on is making sure you make it back safely and without hostile edgeguarding.

On the ground, Solar Man's sun will still shrink, but this can be used to your advantage: once you've gotten mastery over your solar charge, you'll know what charge does what knockback and damage, enough to maybe align yourself better. As a little bonus, on the ground, Solar Man creates a sort of barrier of sparse moving fire to fend off enemies with some effectiveness. This barrier can be broken by a strong attack, but any hurtbox that comes in contact with it is knocked back a set distance. Neat.

STANDARD

NEUTRAL ATTACK FIRE ARM
Alright, so I'll go right out and assume Solar Man has some sort of defoliant projector system on his arms. That's fancy talk for a flamethrower. For this attack, the 'bot will stick out his hands and eject a smoggy, blustery stream of fire that stretches out a full platform in front of him. This does not diminish; rather, Solar Man's energy diminishes at a reasonable rate.

This row of flame deals some nice damage, about par with Solar Beam, actually, so that's one less thing to worry about. While it's not as versatile, this flamethrower is much more adept at keeping foes in its grasp, making this a pretty deadly move. You can even hold the control pad in different directions to influence the stream, much like in Kirby Super Star. Again, like many moves, this is fast and damaging, but absolutely not overpowered in the scheme of things.

FORWARD TILT HEAT WAVE
Solar Man will reach into his sun for this move, setting his hand alight as he sort of performs a downwards punching motion. This sends forward a projectile similar to the split of Solar Blaze, only much bigger. The expense of this is, besides energy of course, range. This wave (ha ha, clever move name, eh?) flies straight forward about a platform, so theoretically you could do a bit of your flamethrower then directly use this, since it's pretty fast.

Damage runs fairly high as per usual, so it's about 6-12% on this one. However, along with some knockback that can score a KO at any solid percent, there's a bit of a wind effect behind this burst, so if some enemy thinks they can be all sly and avoid this, they'll get pushed back a little, which is just the kind of thing Solar Man likes. Who's better at ranged combat? Don't answer that question.

UPWARD TILT SUN RAY
You know how, on a sunny day, you can actually see the light coming through the window, gently? This is not like that, at all. Solar Man charges up for a moment (note that this is actually a good deal of starting lag), at which time he can aim the hitbox. During this period, you must hold down A or the charging is negated. After the charge time of a Warlock Punch, his tiny sun flashes as an immense beam of energy comes out of it in the specified direction, going infinitely until it hits an obstacle. The hitbox is around the size of Pikachu's Thunder, so there's a good chance of hitting with the attack.

As you probably expected, this is a powerful, but risky attack. Damage is 8% at minimum charge, and 16% at full charge. It's also a KO move; this will do a foe in as early as 100% under good conditions. The beam does not last too long, however, the duration being barely longer than an air dodge. End lag is not a huge concern here, as Solar Man has options that come out quickly. The main cost of this move is charge level: a single firing of the ray eats up a third of your energy. Please, no spamming. This is one of the moves that really benefits from an overcharge: the maximum energy Solar Man can contain happens to be exactly one third more than full charge, giving this a free shot.

DOWNWARD TILT GROUND FIRE
Now is as good a time as any to mention that Solar Man's crouch has him bend over forward so that his miniature sun faces forward. Quite handy, that. From there, Solar Man can shoot something directly from that sun: a fairly small spark-like thing that travels along the ground. It's definitely on fire, but it does look like a spark. Whatever the case may be, this thing dashes forward on the floor, ignoring walls and ceilings and just acting like a Hothead, basically.

Unlike that pesky item, it doesn't grow from fire attacks, but it can be reflected. The knockback is also definitely not a kill move, but it is kind of annoying to get hit by it, since it's not quite stunningly weak like ice or something. In fact, the knockback makes it easy to have the low-running fireball hit more than once.The sparks fired from Solar Man's head last about 10 seconds, ample time to go and hit things around the stage. Damage ranges from 3% to 10%. Can easily cause tripping. Takes as much charge as most of his normal attacks.

DASH ATTACK FLAME SWORD
Solar Man quits running and crosses his arms over each other so that they're behind him for a moment, lighting them on fire. He then juts them out, somewhat forming an "x" shape with his forearms. This launches the fire from his hands a bit forward, in an elongated blaze that looks rather like a sword poking forward. It's got a nice long hitbox (Ganondorf's height) that lasts for a little while before dissipating, the move doing solely forward knockback that's actually quite powerful. Damage ranges from 5% to 16%.

If Solar Man performs this on an edge, he'll activate his jets as he does this, making this even better to use against recovering opponents. A similar quirk to this is that he can also jump and shield out of the attack, increasing its versatility. Jumping does not interrupt it.

SMASH

FORWARD SMASH EXPLOSION
Have you seen Snake in Brawl-? His Fsmash is ridiculous, and it so happens to look similar to this. Solar Man charges up in a nondescript way; his sun simply gets smaller as you charge. The charging animation is the same for every Smash, though, so you know what that means. Once Solar Man is done charging, or earlier if you'd like, he thrusts out his arm as the area immediately in front of him, well explodes. It looks an Bob-Omb explosion, except a little flashier, but depending on the charge, there can be consecutive explosions following the first.

At full charge, there will be five explosions that can be aimed-- that is, they will all go forward or up or down, or just stay in place at default. Explosions are quite powerful, dealing.... explosive knockback that can kill at 80%. The damage for Smashes is a bit weird. Charging does not increase knockback or damage, but rather quantity and, to an extent, range. It's quite logical; the more solar charge you have, the more you can charge the Smash. This move, however, would be nothing short of broken if it weren't for its cost. An uncharged shot costs a tenth of your energy, while a full charge costs about half.

UPWARD SMASH PLASMA MORTAR
Solar Man takes an attack more or less directly from his fight-- he only uses this one on Hard Mode, however. He essentially launches Solar Blazes into the air that then fall down across his field, adding another projectile to dodge. In Brawl, these bursts of energy do look a bit like a Solar Blaze when traveling up, but they will not vanish on contact. They travel to the upper blast line very quickly, not quite as fast as Fox's blaster.

After a brief stall, any of the blazes Solar Man fired up now come crashing down, at which time any contact will detonate them into a regular Solar Blaze, with identical properties. As a Smash, however, they get buffed, doing the same damage but knockback that kills at earlier percents. At max solar charge, you have a KO at 170% for the main bomb, while the shockwaves can kill at maybe 150%.

Of course, this is made more complex by the Smash charging system. Basically, charging will increase the size and knockback of the entire mortar shot, along with actually buffing the damage to nearly twice a Solar Blaze shot when fully charged. Size is between Pitfall size and Party Ball size. This move is quite fast and doesn't take up a lot of energy. Now, I didn't have much of a place to mention this earlier but your shots can indeed be aimed-- tilting the control stick left or right while the shot is going up moves it forward or backward by a distance, determined by how hard you tapped the direction. You can make one of these things hit from across Final Destination if you're so inclined. As a final note, the falling blaze, while not a main killer, does sort of do a footstool jump on any enemy underneath it, making this a reliable gimp aid.

DOWNWARD SMASH CIRCLE BLAZE
The sun atop Solar Man's head ejects two distinct bolts, one on each side, that fire diagonally downward. A moment later, the fireballs erupt into forming a ring around Solar Man, this ring bursting with flame and vigor. That is, to say, it's powerful and lasting. The priority and speed is great, as well. The fire on the ground lasts about five seconds before dying down, making the initial blast the main area of impact: that'll be 15-23% with no Smash charge. I'm no mathematician, so I will assume you can figure out a decent balance of what the fully charged move would be. I do need to explain the knockback, though. It has pretty high scaling up; so low solar charge and/or low Smash charge make this a pretty weak kill move.

Now, since this is a ring, that means conventional dodges are useless, as they will definitely get caught up in the giant circle of fire, which covers a total range of nearly one platform across and one Falco tall. There is a safe spot in the middle, one just big enough for Solar Man to stick around in, plus room for one more. If he leaves, though, the wildfire is just as useful as any other stationary trap. However, if an enemy finds themself in that circle, they're in for a beating. Either they get grabbed by Solar Man, which means they get held in the flame for constant damage, or they're knocked into the fire by another attack, getting them at a pretty high percent. This attack is handy in certain situations, being versatile enough to not be utterly predictable.

AERIAL

NEUTRAL AERIAL FIRE STORM
Solar Man extends his arms as a flurry of fireballs emanates from his mini-sun. They form a barrier around him, each fireball being more or less Unira size. The barrier, though, only lasts for less than a second before it dies out. That shield of fire does some decent knockback, but it won't be able to KO realistically. Damage ranges from 5% on contact to 10%. This is also pretty laggy on the end.

Now, if you press a direction while this barrier's up, the fireballs won't dissipate when the shield is done. Instead, they'll condense into a single large burst of flame that travels as far as Falco's lasers can, only with a bigger hitbox. What's more, this projectile can now actually KO as much as a thrown Waddle Dee can. It's about the same size, too. Damage is between 7 and 12%. So what's the catch? Well, when Solar Man normally uses this, he loses a good deal of energy, but absorbs the fireballs back so that the net loss is pretty minute. However, once you've fired off the orbiting shield, he doesn't absorb anything back, so this will cost a bit more energy than is optimal. Careful, now.

FORWARD AERIAL MAGMA BAZOOKA
Oh no, another projectile? Solar Man thrusts both arms forward while they glow briefly. After a very small delay, a flare comes forth at pretty nice speed, going straight forward. The projectile you'll want to avoid; it can do between 7 and 13% with knockback that can actually kill reasonably. True to the namesake of this attack, though, that's not the only way you can use this attack. Unlike Magma Man's weapon, this version requires you to tap this input again to split the shot. Yeah, once you use the FAir again, the bullet splits into three entities, each with a fraction of the original power and a diagonal heading (save the middle one). A hit from any one of these gets you 3-9% and no risk of KO individually.

Be cautious, though, since if you decide to turn your attack into a shotgun too late, there won't be enough room for them to hit. Why? Well, they share the same total range as the original shot. That means that they will travel two platforms in their direction, provided you split them at first. There's only really lag at the beginning of the move, and the bursts are fairly small, but hit hard. That comes at a price, however, since this move costs a fair amount of energy. Luckily, it's quite annoying since it's an aerial that can hit someone with a barrage of powerful magma blasts-- from afar.

BACKWARD AERIAL LAVA PLUME
Turning around like Marth would, Solar Man again extends both his arms. Instantaneously, a row of dark flame emerges from his hands. This goes out about one platform, the stream of magma being very thin. Anyone who gets hit by this takes several hits, each of 2-5%, before being ejected back a short ways. Now, unlike with most of Solar Man's attacks, gravity has something to say about this move. Once the fire stream is done with the main attack (not long), it plummets to the ground, in attempt to drag something down with it.

It doesn't do a very good job at that, but it still does have very little upward knockback to save people underneath the magma. The falling mass does do multiple hits, but very few, and of the same damage as the initial launch. This is unfortunate, as the slight vertical height loss could be detrimental for any enemy offstage. Solar Man is a bit annoying in this regard; he's a killer edge-guarder. Anyway, after that haphazard explanation, the magma does settle into a pool if it lands on the floor. This pond of lava acts as if was a row of spikes, what with set knockback. Unlike spikes, the damage ranges, from 5% to 15%. Annoying move, can combo into FAir.

UPWARD AERIAL CORONA
Let's visit the surface of our sun, shall we? It's a hot place, prone to many a phenomenon. One such occurrence is essentially just a huge flare that carries upward into space, forming an arc shape. It looks kind of cool. Right, so that should give you enough of a visual on this attack. Solar Man's sun fizzes out a bit, a momentary shutter in the system, and a few flares appear on the orange sphere. These extend enough to hit pretty much anyone coming in from above him, the hitbox being quite erratic. In fact, you can never be certain exactly what direction you'll be knocked in when you get by this. One thing's certain, though: flares on the top of the sun will always be a good deal higher than the rest.

There's a bit of a suction right before the corona appears, and since the sun is already its own hitbox, opponents will get hit by that before any flare shows up. Knockback is not very strong here, but it is enough not to combo into itself well. Terrible knockback growth, see. Damage is surprisingly high for such a slight disturbance of energy, so you'll see at full charge about 12% again, with 6% more or less being the weakest version.

DOWNWARD AERIAL SOLAR RAIN
This one's based off one of his attacks in the game; his version of Solar Blaze. Essentially, Solar Man grabs his artificial sun and tosses a piece of it downwards, it going down until it hits something. Now, in order to make this move less boring (i.e. a Solar Blaze clone), this move only looks like Solar Blaze when falling. When the ball hits any solid object, it explodes-- not in the left and right split as you're used to, but all around.

So, what this means is anyone within a Bowser's radius around the blast of this explosion, plus the initial hit, will take 5% to 12%, with pretty nice knockback. Of course, this takes slightly above average charge to pull off, but the attack has an excellent range. Hitting with this is made easier in one regard: Remember how Solar Man has decent air mobility? This move stalls his vertical momentum somewhat, meaning that if you choose, you can jump and move while seconding down a barrage of fiery bombs-- this is very hard to dodge. What's more, the explosion is so large that even spot-dodgers and rollers won't be safe. That effectively makes shielding or running the best strategy to get away from Solar Man. Getting away from him may not be in your best interests though...

GRAB

GRAB SUCTION
Don't let the name fool you, this is still a pretty standard grab, with good range and a bit of lag. However, if you hold down the input, Solar Man's hands will light up with an intense flame that sucks up air around it-- adding a suction effect to lead into a grab. This costs minor energy, though.

PUMMEL ABSORB
So, we all know that grabbing in 1v1s can tend to halt the gameplay, just a bit. This time is not to be wasted by Solar Man, so he holds down A to soak up some sort of energy from the grabbed enemy. It restores slower than recharging manually, but hey, it does a bit of damage (3% a second) to make it worthwhile. Nifty.

FORWARD THROW HEAT SEEKER
So, Solar Man throws his enemy forward with a rather boring animation. As they're still in the air, though, he sends out a rather unpleasant surprise: a large, burning mass of fire that will aggressively home in on the foe until it hits them. It's practically impossible to shake, making shielding it one of your only options apart from reflecting. The fiery blob has pretty good knockback, actually, and the damage is anywhere between 4% and 13% depending on the charge. Rather simple in concept, but potentially lethal; Solar Man has tons of options when the opponent is preoccupied.

BACKWARD THROW INCENDIARY GRENADE
This Robot Master has a few trick up his sleeve. One of them is this move. Solar Man begins by tossing the enemy back through his sun, dealing 3-7%% initially. The enemy is now sped along by a flaming aura that's only visual for now. The ride's not over yet. After a set point, a bit more than a platform away, the aura explodes in a direction of Solar Man's choosing, dealing significant knockback and 4-8% in whatever heading you feel like. Obviously, this is brilliant to use off the edge, but it has its other uses, such as getting the enemy exactly where you want them to go for maximum damage. This throw is rather slow, and does use up a big chunk of energy, but it's quite the kill move. It also looks really cool.

UPWARD THROW AIR BOMBER
You know those throws that go up but not with normal knockback? This is one of those. Solar Man tosses the enemy skyward and fires a column of fire under the foe. This sort of pushes from beneath them, forcing them up. They keep getting shoved up, getting hit with continuous damage rather like Piplup's attack, only upward. It's about 8% at low charge, with 16% at maximum. This can potentially KO pretty early if you have high charge, the best possible percent you can kill at being around 100%. Even then, this move uses up a fair amount of energy, but since it preoccupies the foe, it gives Solar Man plenty of time to think.

DOWNWARD THROW NAPALM
Solar Man has lost any trace of what he once was due to the Roboenza virus. It's safe to say he can be brutal because of this, so he slams down the foe, hard enough so that they land face-down on the floor. Now, he fires a bright substance onto them while they're helpless, then the move ends. This substance deals constant damage of about 4% per second, for four seconds. This is a nice bit of damage on its own, but the napalm also corrodes shields quite efficiently; Solar Man has an easy time breaking shields overall.

Now, remember that DSmash? This is really handy when you throw someone near that, since rolling either towards it from away or out of it from inside will get you smashed upward. That essentially forced the foe to do certain things, so Solar Man can really make hell for the opponent in these situations. Even though this is rather simple as an attack, it's actually pretty useful. Use it, please.

FINALE

FINAL SMASH SUPERNOVA

I figured a supernova would be a fitting final smash-- after all, what other thing could a sun do as a finale? Anyway, when Solar Man presses B, his sun grows to enormous proportions; we're talking so big that it's difficult not to get hit by it. After it's gotten to about twice a Smart Bomb radius, it remains there, with a blinding glow. Solar Man now has infinite solar energy and all of his attacks are buffed to their strongest form. Yeah, it kind of sounds like one of those mechanic buffers, but it's fitting enough.

Anyway, this artificial sun is extremely damaging upon contact, more so then the smaller version, and it lets off an intense light that makes it difficult to see. It also has a massive suction effect like the lasers of Deoxys and Samus. However, it only lasts fifteen seconds, but when that time is up, something rather frightening happens. The sun, instead of just shrinking or whatever Giga Bowser would do, it explodes with an utterly massive radius; you've got to be as far away from this as possible not to get hit with this. Solar Man is still not invincible during this Final Smash, but it's doubtful that anyone will even think about attacking you. This attack also has the fortune of looking really cool.

PLAYSTYLE

Alright, unlike a few other characters, Solar Man's modus operandi is pretty simple to figure out. As if he's Olimar, he needs to make sure he has the power he needs to be a competent fighter. As such, opponents can really get the jump on him if they're suited for it, such characters being Meta Knight and company. Solar Man does have options, though. Plenty of options. He's actually somewhat overpowered on his own, but his required solar energy really does hold him back.

Some things that you will want to do involve projectiles. Not just those long range attacks that he has so many of, but the actual things that can hit someone from extremely far away. The brilliance of it all is that, while he has a huge array of ranged projectiles, he's virtually immune to reflection. His own attacks will only charge up his sun when aimed back at him. As such, he can actually go on the offensive quite a bit more than your average ranged character.

Solar Man's attacks, though, aren't offensive by nature, so you'll have to get creative. His grab and throws are all quite useful; take the FThrow for example. It essentially pressures the opponent into avoiding the seeking blast, opening the door to a barrage of flame. His BThrow does not involve that same pressure scenario, instead going for straight up utility. The ability to choose where your foe ends up is really an advantage to Solar Man. He can hit people from anywhere, remember, so it's only a matter of aiming.

His UThrow is a simple spacer, but it also hides KO power and combo ability: Up Smash, much? The DThrow really shines when used with the Down Smash; a wall of fire really hampers the whole rolling and shielding game. Speaking of Smashes, Solar Man does have a decent KO game. Aside from his plethora of damaging options, his FSmash is quite the killer, as well as his UTilt and FAir.

I won't go into the standards section so much now: They're really just his main method of attack, providing simple means of damaging, spacing, and control. Solar Man's aerial game is rather nice, though, especially with the DAir being able to create an inferno for the foe to have to avoid. He's exceptionally gifted at keeping people on their feet, since essentially his long range game is like Zelda's on crack. There's even a defense element with the USpec and NAir.

Playing against Solar Man requires a cool head. I know he's not weak to Chill Man, in fact it's the opposite, but in all seriousness, he's quite the tricky foe. If you're trying to approach Solar Man, it's remarkably easy to get overwhelmed by his sheer tenacity in blocking your path to him and then blowing you back away. As such, he doesn't break the overall flow of character tiers, with Meta Knight being able to break Solar Man's defense and Ganondorf having to grinscowl and bear it. That being said, Solar Man's inherent defensive offense makes the opponent's counter a solid offensive defense. Got it memorized?

32º Centigrade

Smash Rookie
Hey, y'all. Some of you may remember me from MYM6. Just here to voice my opinion of some of these sets.

I'll start off with Solar Man because he's fresh in my mind. It seems kind of hard to tell exactly what Solar Man is. You seem to make him out as a sniper who hits from afar, but at the same time, his close range game is pretty powerful (his throws and forward smash, to name a few), and his aerials are also dangerous (and his back air alone makes him an edge-guarder, too!). He doesn't seem dedicated to one specific style, and instead becomes just overpowered all around.

Except for the fact that he has to charge his attacks, that is. I understand the need to nerf the overcharge, but a five second charge is a long time in Smash. It actually seems more efficient to just alternate between low and medium charge, since you can move while charging the sun at its lowest. Also, the amount of charge taken away by an attack is sometimes unclear: on some attacks, like the Up-tilt, you clearly specify, "this attack drains 1/3 of your charge," which is good, but others don't seem to be well-defined, saying things like, "this doesn't take a lot of charge away," or, "this takes as much away as most of his normal attacks do." That doesn't tell me anything.

I'm also not really a fan of projectile-cluttered sets, but now I'm just nitpicking. I'll end positively, though, by saying I was impressed with Drifblim from the last MYM. I thought he was really well done, much better that what I had in mind for a Drifloon set.

Plorf

Smash Apprentice
Hey, y'all. Some of you may remember me from MYM6. Just here to voice my opinion of some of these sets.

I'll start off with Solar Man because he's fresh in my mind. It seems kind of hard to tell exactly what Solar Man is. You seem to make him out as a sniper who hits from afar, but at the same time, his close range game is pretty powerful (his throws and forward smash, to name a few), and his aerials are also dangerous (and his back air alone makes him an edge-guarder, too!). He doesn't seem dedicated to one specific style, and instead becomes just overpowered all around.

Except for the fact that he has to charge his attacks, that is. I understand the need to nerf the overcharge, but a five second charge is a long time in Smash. It actually seems more efficient to just alternate between low and medium charge, since you can move while charging the sun at its lowest. Also, the amount of charge taken away by an attack is sometimes unclear: on some attacks, like the Up-tilt, you clearly specify, "this attack drains 1/3 of your charge," which is good, but others don't seem to be well-defined, saying things like, "this doesn't take a lot of charge away," or, "this takes as much away as most of his normal attacks do." That doesn't tell me anything.

I'm also not really a fan of projectile-cluttered sets, but now I'm just nitpicking. I'll end positively, though, by saying I was impressed with Drifblim from the last MYM. I thought he was really well done, much better that what I had in mind for a Drifloon set.
Alright, awesome! First comment is from someone you rarely even see in MYM, how lucky.
Anyway, to get right into things, you have some pretty valid points. Solar Man is best at ranged combat, yes, but I did sort of him make him deadly close up inadvertently, I guess. Overall, Solar Man is extremely dangerous in terms of attacks, but as you so keenly pointed out, that mechanic really drags it down.

Yeah, I know the charging does take a while, and the numbers are way out of whack, and I apologize. It's just that My mind actually doesn't quite grasp the whole percent thing; I'm not great at math either. If I really set my mind to it, I'm sure I'd come up with exact times, but until I feel like I'm actually going to implement movesets in reality, I just don't feel the need.

Oh, and thanks for noticing Drifblim! I did try and do something different for that, and while it didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped, I'm glad someone else appreciates it. Though I'm still a bit wary on who you are...
;)

Smady

Smash Master
I’ve read Solar Man and it’s like looking into the abyss; this is how you make a character with both little to no attachment to his source and with a butchered, non-existent playstyle that is purely spamming and camping, with every move a projectile. What’s sadder is that MT just posted Strike Man a few pages ago and that was of a Robot Master from the same game who also relies on projectiles – he uses the same one in most moves, but it’s never as repetitive, lame and certainly randomised as Solar Man.

Let me start off by picking out just a few moves to prove my point. That up special – you say it makes sense, but it doesn’t: how does a robot made for a “sunlight research lab” end up flying around with rocket boots like ROB? It makes zero sense – it’s also one of the key locations where we see your common mistake, lack of detail. You’re so vague about everything in this move and it comes off as both lazy as well as confusing to read.

I’d also pick the dash attack, a few clicks down, which is where we see another prime concern – magic syndrome out the wazoo. Solar Man is not Heat Man or Fire Man, he shouldn’t be able to set himself on fire – why would a robot with a sun on its head be built to be inflammable? He’d burn up within about two seconds. This is amicable in Smash, what with all manner of nonsensical shenanigans already, but it’s repeated throughout the moveset – forward smash, up aerial and pretty much the entire throw section comes to mind. Let me re-iterate, Solar Man is a creature of the sun, not a flame elemental – it’s almost as bad as Magmortar’s fire attacks.

What I do like about this moveset a little is how it's full of quips and humorous misdirection for the reader, but it’s not a good combination with a lack of details or vague explanations for what’s going on. Neither is it good when combined with an obsessive displacement of any explanation for the main mechanic – which you stated yourself you never “fleshed out” because you’re lazy, but it’s the only thing tying any of the moves together.

And here is where Solar Man truly falls to pieces. The charging mechanic is generic anyway; it’s about as boring as it can get, besides being Samus’ neutral special. But, it is similar to how Solar Man works in his game. However, after the first move of the set, you never talk about it again. This isn’t just a technicality – you can’t simply leave a mechanic that changes every move in the repertoire up to imagination: what are you, stupid?

Organisation is fine; writing style is fine; no extras; no playstyle. Warlord says that the random collection of projectiles are a flow of some kind, but I do not see it – this car crash of a moveset was, like Jason, enjoyable to read for a laugh, but oh God is it terrible. At least with Jason, there was some semblance of character recognition with the stabbing and his removing of the mask (though done very badly), but Solar Man fires one move from the game… and that’s it; nothing else is Solar Man. What happened to absorbing projectiles in the sun? What happened to the water weakness? This was one of the few movesets that made me a little frustrated after reading it – please just go in the opposite direction, Plorf.

Junahu

Smash Ace
^The above post is one of the reasons why people don't moveset nowadays.
While I much appreciate Smady's efforts in giving in-depth commentry to every moveset, there isn't the need to tear certain sets apart like this. The points he is making are fair enough, Solar Man is indeed lacking in proper characterisation and has an obtuse blend of specific details tied with nonexistant ones (Some specific units for his main mechanic would be appreciated over giving percentage ranges for every attack). But the phrasing on the comment itself makes it seem so angry, as if reading Solar Man was such a genuine ordeal that Plorf owes Smady some kind of apology for wasting his time.

I think Plorf has established his moveset style quite enough times for us to realise that this is the kind of moveset he likes to make. I know we're all secretly trying to smack Plorf around the hardest, but it's getting a bit silly now. Let him do what he likes to do already.

Sandshrew is an awesome set. And Jason was entertaining to read.

JOE!

Smash Hero
While I much appreciate Smady's efforts in giving in-depth commentry to every moveset, there isn't the need to tear certain sets apart like this. The points he is making are fair enough, Solar Man is indeed lacking in proper characterisation and has an obtuse blend of specific details tied with nonexistant ones (Some specific units for his main mechanic would be appreciated over giving percentage ranges for every attack). But the phrasing on the comment itself makes it seem so angry, as if reading Solar Man was such a genuine ordeal that Plorf owes Smady some kind of apology for wasting his time.

I think Plorf has established his moveset style quite enough times for us to realise that this is the kind of moveset he likes to make. I know we're all secretly trying to smack Plorf around the hardest, but it's getting a bit silly now. Let him do what he likes to do already.
Indeed. Something isnt right when a moveset is "2-starred" soley due to writing, even when the guy thought the set itself was good...I think, ****, he didnt even talk about it he just talked about the writing!

Sandshrew is an awesome set. And Jason was entertaining to read.
WL:

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice

Amen to that. I mean, it's one thing to criticize a moveset; But completely tearing it apart JUST BECAUSE OF THE GOD**** WRITING is another. A moveset cannot be so horrible that the commenter should talk like it was basically hell to read.

So Plorf made a few bad movesets. Big deal. Stop harassing him and let him do what he wants, for the love of God!! :mad:

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
At least with Jason, there was some semblance of character recognition with the stabbing and his removing of the mask (though done very badly), but Solar Man fires one move from the game… and that’s it; nothing else is Solar Man.

SOLAR MAN HAS ONE ****ING ATTACK IN THE GAME!!!! PLORF HAD TO MAKE UP A FEW MOVES!!! YOU CAN'T USE ONE ATTACK FOR AN ENTIRE MOVESET!!!

Sorry for the meltdown, but that really pissed me off.

Smady

Smash Master

The moveset is of a great standard.

The moveset is of an above-average standard.

The moveset is of an average standard.

The moveset is of a below-average standard.

The moveset is of a poor standard.

In consideration of my ratings, the main factors I take into account are:​

+ Strength of Original Concept [Original Ideas]
+ Execution of Concepts [Writing Style, Organisation]
+ Synergy of Concepts [i.e. Playstyle]
+ Effort / Time [Time Taken to Make Moveset]
+ Previous MYMing Efforts
[I will not rate a new MYMer's moveset as "poor."]​

JOE!

Smash Hero
yes, you say it's a good moveset, but who really gves a **** about the writing?

in fact, everyone -but- you seemed to read it just fine

Smady

Smash Master
yes, you say it's a good moveset, but who really gves a **** about the writing?

in fact, everyone -but- you seemed to read it just fine
Erm, actually I recall MW saying that he felt Spartan Warrior had bad writing. Besides which, I'm not sure if I get why this is such a big issue - my comment and rating is but my own opinion, it's not like I'm trying to whitewash Spartan Warrior.

JOE!

Smash Hero
it's just that you are dragging it down so much *for* having wierd writing (which I made while in a coma (smirk) ) when it is stil readable by many, and comprehndable....and those that do read it enjoy the set!

Im just wondering why it is so low in your opinion because of a rather nit-picky thing, as it cant be that big a deal if you were able to understand the set clearly.

Smady

Smash Master
it's just that you are dragging it down so much *for* having wierd writing (which I made while in a coma (smirk) ) when it is stil readable by many, and comprehndable....and those that do read it enjoy the set!

Im just wondering why it is so low in your opinion because of a rather nit-picky thing, as it cant be that big a deal if you were able to understand the set clearly.
A moveset's writing should be better than just 'readable' and 'comprehensible.' It was a big problem for my own reading, as it made reading the moveset particularly dull and boring and the amount of text to waft through meant it took a hell of a lot longer. Even with the writing out of mind, the moveset was not all that original in its concepts: the shield thing is neat, but I do remember at least one moveset, Hippo, having something similar. Everything else has obvious connections to other movesets. That isn't all that bad in of itself, but coupled with a couple of rather large grievances with the writing and iggles with the playstyle, I felt it was below-average quality.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Yeah, to each his own opinion. Everybody gets criticism, no one makes a perfect moveset. Although yay for thread activity, since this argument has gone on for about three pages

The rest of his formidable armor subtracts damage taken from attacks that hit the Spartan, rendering him invulnerable to some attacks (going off shield physics, meaning he can suffer shield push/stun) and/or weakening other moves significantly. Battering/slashing attacks such as punches and sword strikes have a hefty 7% shaved off. Elemental attacks, which essentially encompass anything such as lasers, flames, etc, Suffer a 3.5% penalty due to his armor being designed to fight metal, not magic. Over time this armor weaknes however, losing 1% of deflection for every 10% damage taken. Throws bypass the protection somewhat, lowering the values to 5% and 2.5% for the respective types.
To give one example, this one paragraph explaining SW's armor mechanic kind of flew over my head the first time I read it. When you start getting into 0.5 percents...yeah, there are other places in the moveset where the language got kind of superfluous, in my opinion. Since movesets are all about writing (well, mostly), the way your concepts are presented can contribute to the reader's impression of it in a good or bad way, even if the concept is a good one.

Still, SW wasn't a bad set, but I felt like for having such 'simple' attacks, the descriptions were a bit excessive.

JOE!

Smash Hero
0.5% damages exist in smash, the most blatant examples are fox's laser, and lucario/wolf's pummels....

thought everyone knew that >.>

Smady

Smash Master
0.5% damages exist in smash, the most blatant examples are fox's laser, and lucario/wolf's pummels....

thought everyone knew that >.>
I do still find it a little jarring at times - just because it's in Smash, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It also is pretty unnecessary.

Smady

Smash Master
my sets being technical about their implementation is uneccesary now? o_O
Being 'technical' doesn't mean including obscure percentage values, that few people would even know about as if they are widely-known. Same thing with the "CG" and "KB" business - I believe SW was the main reason behind the Smash terms article on The Workshop, actually. The writing is recognised as bad by most who read it, perhaps I just took it a little worse off.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Monkey Jack appears!

- Introduction -

If you're using Monkey Jack, then you must've used Normal Jack's Up B, the Monkey Staff. Now you get to see a whole new side of Jack! Unlike in his regular state, Monkey Jack is more than capable of fighting hand to hand (and foot), and he's not dependent on Jackbots at all. In fact, he has a completely different Neutral B attack! The biggest downside to using Monkey Jack is the fact that he continuously takes 2% damage per second. This is because the monkey instincts are taking over Jack's mind. Since Jack isn't the stoutest of fighters, this'll hamper Jack's ability to stay on the battlefield. You'll have to move and attack swiftly to win!

Also, by default, Monkey Jack holds the Monkey Staff with his tail to keep both his hands and feet free to fight with.

- Stats -

Size - Average
Monkey Jack is the same size as Normal Jack.

Weight - Average
Monkey Jack actually weighs a little more than Normal Jack; he's about Captain Falcon's weight.

Walk Speed - Above Average
Jack's a little too impatient to walk slowly.

Dash Speed - Above Average
Monkey Jack runs about as fast as Pikachu

Jump - Above Average
Both of Jack's jumps are about the height of Falco's initial jumps. The downside is that Jack no longer feels the need to use his helipack. Don't forget it!

Fall Speed - Average
Same old.

Air Speed - Above Average
Monkey Jack is highly mobile in the air.

Traction - Average
Nothing out of the ordinary.

Monkey Jack is now able to wall jump and wall cling, but he is no longer able to wall walk with the Jet Bootsu (he's not wearing shoes, you see). He's still able to crawl, though.

- Special Moves -

Neutral B - Tunnel Armadillo

Previously used by Normal Jack as solely a character entrance, Monkey Jack pilots the Tunnel Armadillo as an attack! He doesn't bother using it to dig underground, though; he charges at foes head on! Crazy!

Jack throws the Tunnel Armadillo onto the ground where it will grow into a large tank-like vehicle as tall as Bowser and a little more than a platform long. Jack quickly gets in, and the fun begins! The move is essentially like Wario's Bike, though it automatically moves at the constant speed of Bowser's Dash. Getting hit by the Armadillo deals 8% damage and low knockback, unless you are hit by the tip of the drill, which deals 15% damage and high knockback in the direction that the drill is facing. Jack can disembark at any time by using an attack button or jumping, and he can be hit out of it by attacking the Armadillo (without getting hit first). Jack can turn the vehicle 4 times before having to jump out. If and when Jack leaves the vehicle, though, it won't stop moving. Nope, it will keep on drilling, off of platforms and all the way off the stage if it has to. While an Armadillo Spike would be hard to pull off, it's very flashy.

Side B - Sphere of Yun

Monkey Jack still uses the Sphere of Yun as his Side B move.

Down B - Ring of the Nine Dragons

Monkey Jack still uses the Ring of the Nine Dragons as his Down B move, but now the counter deals 1.3x the damage and knockback of the opponent's attack.

Up B - Monkey Staff

Monkey Jack's Up B move is still the Monkey Staff, but here he uses it to transform into his normal self. This time, the move starts out with the somersault that deals 12% damage, but at the peak of the jump, Jack will transform back into his regular form. Keep in mind that he won't regain his midair jumps, though.

- Standard Attacks -

Jab Combo - One Angry Monkey

Jack starts off with a quick two-punch combo that deals 6% damage, then he jumps into the air and balances on his tail, pummeling the foe with both his hands and feet! This has slightly more range than Sheik's Jab Combo, but racks up damage twice as fast (2% damage per hit). Also, since the attacks come from a little higher off the ground, the foe might have an easier time DIing out of it. That would be advisable, since the damage will come quickly.

Forward Tilt - Mizaru

Jack grabs the Monkey Staff and plants it in the ground, then he swings around it like a pole for a massive double kick. This move has the reach of about 3/4 a platform's length only in the forward direction and deals 10% damage with above average knockback and comes with a brief period of end lag.

Up Tilt - Kikazaru

Jack squats down on all fours and extends his long tail (which is holding the Monkey Staff) upward. He swipes the air with the staff from back to front, then swipes from front to back. Both hits deal 6% damage and low knockback and hit with good reach mainly above Jack (with limited side to side reach). The low knockback of this move is good for trapping foes and racking up damage.

Down Tilt - Iwazaru

In a bit of an unusual maneuver, Jack balances upside-down on one hand and spins once while grabbing the Monkey Staff with the other hand and sweeping low to the ground with it. He simultaneously kicks straight upward with both feet, resulting in two different hitboxes! The sweep of the Monkey Staff does 8% damage and trips foes in front of him, while the upward kick reaches as high as Sheik's Up Tilt does 10% damage and above average knockback. This move is fast, and you can use it to ground foes or as a more traditional Up Tilt.

Dash Attack - Sun Kick

Jack stops dashing and instantly flows into a butterfly kick (that is to say, spins like disc with all limbs outstretched) that hits multiple times dealing a maximum of 13% damage before knocking foes away with above average knockback. The problem is in the period of end lag caused by landing on the ground after using this move; hopefully you cleared everyone else away with the kick.

- Smash Attacks -

Forward Smash - Battle Frenzy

Jack leaps forward about half a platform's length while unleashing a flurry of violent kicks and punches that deal a maximum of 20% damage uncharged before sending foes flying with high diagonal upward knockback. Take advantage of the unexpected range of this move and the fact that it lasts a while in order to get more foes trapped in it! Beware the brief period of ending lag, however, as Jack regains his composure.

Up Smash - Mandrill

Jack leaps into the air about Bowser's height while spinning around with his arms outstretched, dealing a series of hits that deal deal a maximum of 15% damage uncharged and ending with the foe getting launched upward with above average knockback. Again, take advantage of the unexpected range of the move, as well as the fact that you can avoid some low attacks with the beginning leap! There's some ending lag as Jack lands back on the ground.

Down Smash - Howler Dash

Jack charges forward a platform's distance and knocks foes upward with 7% damage and little knockback. Then, he quickly pivots around and dashes back to his original position, hitting the foe again for 13% damage and high knockback in a low trajectory. This attack sends foes flying in the direction opposite the way you faced when you used the move, so use it when you have your back close to the edge! There's a bit of start and end lag to this move, so use it with good timing.

- Aerial Attacks -

Neutral Aerial - Macaque Attack

A very quick and basic attack, Jack backhands the foe for 4% damage and no knockback, then follows up with a forehand slash that deals 9% damage and medium knockback.

Forward Aerial - Capuchin Kick

This attack is basically a fancier version of Diddy Kong's Forward Aerial. Jack kicks with both feet forward with a bit more range than Diddy Kong, dealing 15% damage and high horizontal knockback. However, if this move connects, Jack uses the force of the kick to make a huge backflip that goes about twice as far and twice as high as Diddy's Side B move. What's the point of that? If you use this move to KO someone off the side of the stage, then you can use the follow up jump to recover! Remember, since you can't rely on your helipack or Up B (if you want to stay as Monkey Jack), then you'll have to use Jack's aerials to maneuver through the air.

Back Aerial - Spider Whip

Jack grabs the Monkey Staff with his hands, then uses his long tail to swipe at foes behind him. This move has the range of Marth's Forward Air, and though not as strong, it deals a respectable 10% damage with medium knockback.

This move has another purpose: tether recovery! That's right; if Jack is anywhere close to the ledge, Jack's tail will stretch out long enough to grab it and pull himself up to it. It has the same range as Link's Clawshot. Use this in conjunction with the jump from Forward Air to recover after chasing foes off stage, or maybe just to steal the edge from someone else trying to recover.

Up Aerial - Simian Flip

Jack does a basic flip kick that hits above him and deals 10% damage with above average knockback. What makes this different from all the other flip kicks? Well, while doing it, Jack reaches a vertical distance of about the length of a platform, which basically gives him another midair jump in addition to an attack. However, the height of the jump decreases by about 75% every time you use this attack, so don't get too carried away.

Down Aerial - Curious Jack

Jack flips upside down and positions the Monkey Staff horizontally with his tail. with the Monkey Staff magically staying in place in midair, Jack bungees straight downward with his tail to lunge at foes, like a monkey hanging from a tree branch! Jack's lunge does 10% damage and launches people in a diagonally downward trajectory with medium knockback. Jack then bungees back up to the Monkey Staff, finishing in the air a little bit higher than where he started the move. Keep in mind that Jack's whole body is a hitbox here, and he will snap back up to the Monkey Staff if he is hit on the tail.

- Grab/Throws -

Grab - Prehensile Tail

Jack's tail is very long and dexterous, so he uses it to grab foes! He whips it forward, where it behaves much like your average tether grab.

Pummel - Taste Test

Jack jumps on top of his foe and bites their head for 2% damage per hit.

Forward Throw - Gibbon

Jack lobs the foe into the air, then swings the Monkey Staff at them to send them flying horizontally with 10% damage and above average knockback. Home run!

Backward Throw - Marmoset

Jack falls onto his back and kicks the foe backwards into the air. Then he forcefully tosses the Monkey Staff at them to send them flying diagonally upwards with 10% damage and above average knockback.

Up Throw - Tarsier

Jack tosses the opponent into the air above him, then spins the Monkey Staff around as they fall back onto it, taking 8% damage and low vertical knockback. From there, you might want to follow up with an Up Smash, or even some Up Aerials!

Down Throw - Rhesus

Jack shoves the foe to the ground, then jumps and flips in the air, finishing by stomping on the foe! This does 9% damage and sends the foe flying into the air, but not low enough to follow up with another grab. Chaingrabs are bad!

Final Smash - Sweet Baby Among Us

Sweet Baby who? It's a Shen Gong Wu that summons a mighty golden baby statue to attack foes! What a wacky show...I mean, game!

When Monkey Jack activates his Final Smash, he pulls out the small golden Shen Gong Wu and drops it to the ground, where it grows into a huge golden baby that's about as tall as the highest platform on Battlefield is high. Honey, I blew up the kid! Coming into contact with it will cause 5% damage and flinching knockback, so no touchies! The Sweet Baby will walk around with great big baby steps and occasionally jump high into the air. Contact with it while its in the air will cause 15% damage and high knockback. And then there's the Baby's signature attack: explosive golden diapers! Every once and a while, the Baby will stop and shoot a series of about 5 diapers from its midsection. These Wario Bike-sized projectiles move at high speeds and explode on contact, causing 15% damage and high knockback. Monkey Jack is immune to all this mayhem, of course, but he still takes the 2% damage per second. The Sweet Baby stays on the field for about 20 seconds before shrinking back into a harmless idol.

- Playstyle -

As you can see, Jack Spicer is actually a two-in-one character. Monkey Jack and Normal Jack are pretty different from one another, though. One is a starts off as a defensive character that eventually becomes very offensive, while the other is offensive all the time. The only thing they have in common is a couple of shared Specials, one of which will change you back anyway.

Monkey Jack is a pretty straightforward character. Almost all of his moves are fast, flashy, have decent range and do good damage and knockback. He's pretty much like a hyper-Sheik. His one handicap is that he gets easier to KO as time passes due to the constant damage. Oh, and there's also the fact that you can't rely on your Up B to recover if you want to stay in Monkey form; that requires other methods. But if you keep up a good offense, you won't have to worry about this, right?

First of all, let's discuss how to avoid transforming back to Normal Jack by using Up B. In addition to his high midair jump, Jack's Aerials are designed to cover aerial distance and help him back to the stage. If you're attacking foes off-stage, a combination of the backflip from Forward Air and your Back Air tether should be efficient to make it back to the edge horizontally. If not, throw in your midair jump and a couple of Up Airs to get some vertical distance.

In order to make sure your foe doesn't get the chance to KO you, make the most of your time and keep moving and attacking. Jack's Forward and Down Tilts are fast and strong and also keep foes at a distance. If you're feeling gutsy, throw in some Jab and Up Tilt for damage racking and combos; this'll make KOing easier when the time is right. Jack handles foes above him pretty well. When you're on the ground and want to KO your foe, your Smashes are the way to go (rhyme!). Forward Smash should do the trick for launching foes off the stage, but Down Smash is good in certain situations (when your back's to the edge), and Up Smash is mainly for starting aerial assaults.

If for some reason your ground moves don't work, your Aerials should finish the job. Forward Air is a good finisher off the sides, and Up Air can KO foes off the top of the screen. Back Air and the other aerials can keep foes away from the edge. How to make sure you recover from off-stage was covered above.

Jack's throws are okay options; Forward and Back Throw might have KO potential if you're close enough to the blast zones, and the other throws are good for damage racking. Use your throws mainly for punishing foes out of your shield when they try to hit you back. I should also take the time to mention Jack's only new Special Move, the Tunnel Armadillo; it's pretty situational, but fun in multiplayer settings. If you're in a safe place, rev it up, jump out, and let it go; it can't really hurt, and you might even net a surprise hit.

Basically, you'll have to choose between Normal Jack or Monkey Jack when you select Jack Spicer. You can actually use Monkey Jack as a last resort when your Jackbots are eliminated and you're cornered (his attacks are fast and strong enough to finish the job, usually), but once you go Monkey, you don't go back. (Unless you start a fresh stock as Monkey Jack.) As Monkey Jack, play wild and crazy and go nuts, but also be wary of your increasing vulnerability. If you play smart, you'll get your opponent long before he gets you. Unleash your inner beast!

- Extras -

Monkey Jack has his own taunts, but don't use them! You're still taking damage every second, remember?

Up Taunt - Jack jumps up and down while screaming like a deranged monkey. Pretty annoying if spammed.

Side Taunt - Jack scratches his armpit, sniffs his hand, then sticks it in his mouth. Gross!

Down Taunt - Jack pulls out a banana and eats it. Just before he throws the banana peel behind him, he changes his mind and eats it too.

Kirby Hat - Kirby gets Jack's red hair and goggles, but this time adds a monkey tail to the ensemble. Now he can use a mini version of the Tunnel Armadillo!

JOE!

Smash Hero
sooo...what you're saying is that my set forced MYM to become aquainted with the game they are making sets for?

lol, wut?

Top Bottom