• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Swedish can't English lol

Remember people, no one gives a **** about if this MU is 55-45 or 60-40, number shouldn't be used. We want to know why and what is effective and what is not. I think most of us have had very good posts and reason. This MU is in Rob's favor. Our item game is just better overall. And if we have a charged gyro, one of his bananas and a lazor, diddy is in trouble, don't throw the nanner until Diddy starts rushing, just lazor or shoot your gyro.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Sudai was on the money; put a gyro over a naner and grab the other. Then you can camp with lasers and F smashes (hold A while holding the naner and c-stick smashes). IIRC you can also Fair once before you throw an item, so SH camping with that also works.

Sudai

Stuff here
It's not that you can FAir before you throw the item, it's that buffered aerials don't throw items and you can do the hold A thing like with smashes.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yea, English is a pretty stupid language when you think about it. So many exceptions to grammar rules, and exceptions to those exceptions. XD
At TheMike: Then we are two. ([^^]

At ZombieSwarn: It's okay. It's always okay the first time. And yeah, english is pretty hard, it has many exceptions, like this:

The thing is damaged.
My feelings are hurt.
The smasher got injured.

LoL.

But now to the MU. If it is in R.O.B.'s favour, then it's 55-45, not 60-40. But I would say even (I regret that it is in R.O.B.'s favour).

TeeVee

Smash Lord
matchup is 50 - 50

then again, my only diddy experience offline is from adhd lol

TheMike

Smash Lord
Guys, I was so busy on the last days. Sorry. x.x

I'll update this thread this weekend for sure as there will be a holiday in my city.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think that ROB 55-45 Diddy Kong seems to be the best ratio. Any disagreement? Also, please help me finding a decent Diddy Kong picture. :(

Bees!

Smash Ace
I need to learn this MU. The only time I have gotten Diddy exp was when I faced Dekar. And I had no clue what the hell I was supposed to do(As evident by me CPing FD vs him lol)

inb4stupidnoobnocpFDondiddy

Silhouette

Smash Lord
FD is Diddys best stage, don't take him there, out of the neutrals to take him to, I would recommend: Lylat > Battlefield > PS1 > YI > SV > FD

I usually end up on Battlefield, the constant presence of platforms makes it so his bananas will land there more often than the ground, and gives you a place to run when you need it.

Ban FD, I usually CP him to Frigate, but I think I'll try Halberd next time.

Diddys will most likely always CP you back to a neutral, or a very flat stage, so If you ban FD expect SV or Picto.

Sudai

Stuff here
Sil, I think those arrows are backwards. You're saying the stages you like are less than the stages you dislike. :p

I actually like FD vs him. A good Diddy isn't hindered by platforms as much as they're hindered by me having a bunch of open space to do as I please, so I'd rather take them to FD if YI gets struck. I don't see why you have YI so late either. The slanty stage messes with his item game and his combo game.

Once you get good at the MU, you realize that a long flat stage actually works against him more than anything. His pressure game is what lets him do well in this MU.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah I flipped the arrows.

I've got YI so low because the ledge helps his recovery if we're ledge hogging him, We also can't push him under the stage to f*** his recovery. The slanted ledge also helps his D-smash reach over the ledge, not to mention the chances of a ghost helping him recover.

but most Diddys will strike YI because most of them arn't used to fighting on the slanted stage.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I hate when Diddy's bananas are on BF's platforms, and you want to Up-smash him...
Yet again: 50-50.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This is one of my most played matchups with Rob. I personally think this matchup is even. Falco can camp the crap out of you, but Rob has the tools to stop it. Rob gives Falco a hard time phantasming away with his large range and so on. Many players tend to think this is Rob's worts MU because Falco outcamps you. Many seem to forgot that Rob actually has a really good offensive moveset too. With his large range, Rob wins the hand to hand combat. The scariest thing in this MU is his Jab, it's hard to get through a well placed one.
You don't even have to be afraid of his chain grab, it only works until 18% and then you can just jump away and fair. One thing to watch out is his gatling combo. If you are no careful, it will easily shield stab you into death. He can also dair spike you to stall you out of fuel, but our Uair wins Falco's dair.
When the fight gets offstage, Rob is gonna enjoy it. When Falco reaches the ledge level, where he must phantasm, go for the ledge, and ledge drop bair, it's pretty good at keeping him away for a long time. It's hard to actually gimp a good Falco, but he will eventually die this way.
Rob should die to Usmash only. His fsmash kills you at stupid high percents with good DI. Avoid that usmash at all costs. Ftilt is still as godly as ever in this MU, when you are at ftilt distance, he has a hard time lasering, but can only do shine to beat it, which is very punishable.
What makes this MU is the stage. On a stage like battlefield, this is even. On stages like FD, you gonna get pwnd, ban it. If you pick Frigate, you win. Take full advantage of all the Falco's bad stages. I would even take Falco to Brinstar. I have played a lot in there and in this MU, the stage doesn't hurt Rob at all, but destroys everything Falco has.
In the air, you gotta watch out for his bair, that is all. If you can land a hit in the air in front of him, he is easy to combo due to his garbage fair. When you get juggled, move offstage and recover with your upB, Falco's uair can kill Rob early thanks to his negative falling speed.

Don't get annoyed by laser camping, learn to powershield them and they won't be a problem. When you slowly approach Falco and he phantasms away, if the situation is too good for Falco, don't try to punish it, repeat the same process. Also, you can pivot grab Falco out of his phantasm.
Remember your projectiles, when you get Falco offstage, you are free to spam. Always try to charge your gyro. Use it when Falco phantasm. It will kill Falco early, if it doesn't your fully charged laser does the rest.

Overall, you win in the air and ground, but Falco is still a trouble to approach and kill, so the MU is even to me.

My post is pretty disorganized, but hopefully it will be of help.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I would say 55-45 to Falco. I'm too lazy too motivate, LoL.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Two things I don't see other ROBs doing VS falco.

First is to think CROUCH BEFORE JUMPING. SH lasers are way less annoying when you duck under them. Generally the first two SH lasers are the type punishes you when you jump so retreating-jump-charge-gyro is not as good in this matchup. The next laser will probably be delayed so it flies lower if you ducked the first two. Read this third laser and punish with SH nair or PS>Ftilt. Staying on the ground also makes his Phantasm mindgames easier to manage. This puts FD in our favor IMO.

The other thing is how to react when getting chaingrabbed. Up-B will get out of it at any percent if the falco fails to buffer his dashgrab. Also Fair beats most of follow ups like falco's Jab>Nair, so don't Up-B before the time you think hes going to follow up with an aerial since it will make Fair start slower.

Just my 2 cents.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
CP him to Halberd imo. (Most Falcos have a back up character for when they ge CP'd to brinstar or Norfair)

The ledge makes him phantasm early and the platform makes it easy to punish.

and the dip makes it easier to dodge lasers.

You can also plank and shark your lasers through the stage. <--Finally a way to camp falco lol

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Sneaky, the only thing I can agree with you is the ducking part. Falco ***** Rob on FD.. thats one of the worse stages you could fight falco on.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I do fine on FD. I get beeped more on bf than on FD usually.

Umm, im not sure the % that this stops at, (I would guess no higher than 30%) but if falco tries to do a single jab into a grab, I'm pretty sure you have time to throw out at downsmash. If your % is too high, you will just get caught doing your dair animation.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Don't take Falco to long and campy stages like Jungle Japes or Final Destination (he can reflect our projectiles, and we can't), and in this matchup, R.O.B. owns in close combat!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes, but FD is our stage we strike for starters and then later we ban it. Japes is usually banned, so Falco doesn't have any super stages left. In reality, you will never fight Falco in FD. In any stage like Halberd, Frigate or Cruise, the MU turns around into a big advantage to us.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i kno, i just hate having auto ban stages so if we personally dont like something else, too bad. its not even just a good stage for falco, its a GOD stage for falco in this matchup

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Fighting Falco on FD is an auto loss

Getting by this camp is like swatting bees in a hailstorm
I have to disagree. This kind of attitude inhibits growth.

FD might be a flat stage, but its also a pretty large stage. Falco's main strength lies in his damage racking abilities, and its better to fight for camping rights rather than fighting on a stage that's hard to escape CGs imo. I'd ban Japes over FD any day.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The big stage part is one of the worst things about it, as Falco has such an easy time getting away by illusioning to continue his camp away from you.

Japes is banned everywhere, but even when fine I don't know why people hate it so much vs Falco

Top Bottom