• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Shinydarkrai94

Smash Rookie
Great argument :). In light of this new information, I now know that it's probably not a good idea to punish a roll with Dair. Just a suggestion, what about using Dair as a rush, but instead of retreating back (which you generally do with the other aerials), what if you were to go past the enemy. If the attack hits, the enemy will fly up and Ike will probably be safe. If the attack hits the enemies shield, Ike should be able to turn around and jab before the enemy can respond (since they will be facing the other way). I am not a ssbb game mechanics master, but I think this may work. If not, then I'll have to think up another use for Dair hmmm.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Great argument :). In light of this new information, I now know that it's probably not a good idea to punish a roll with Dair. Just a suggestion, what about using Dair as a rush, but instead of retreating back (which you generally do with the other aerials), what if you were to go past the enemy. If the attack hits, the enemy will fly up and Ike will probably be safe. If the attack hits the enemies shield, Ike should be able to turn around and jab before the enemy can respond (since they will be facing the other way). I am not a ssbb game mechanics master, but I think this may work. If not, then I'll have to think up another use for Dair hmmm.
Lol, the only practical use for Dair is as a spike off-stage. It is Ike's most reliable spike move by far, so I think that gives it enough of a use that it doesn't need another. The problem with using it as an approach is that again, there are just much better options. Nair offers the ability to string attacks afterwards, Bair is much faster and can auto-cancel, Fair has much better range, Uair is a better KO move... all of those have less landing lag.

I guess the best way to put it is: It's not about finding a new use for a tool, it's about finding the best way to do something using the different tools you're given. You shouldn't bother trying to find a good way to pound a nail into a 2x4 using a bow saw when you've got a hammer right on your work bench. Every tool has it's uses, but one tool is always better than the others at a particular task.

:034:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I chose game 1 to critique because it's on a gimmicky stage, and is longer than match 2. Matches 3 and 4 had some silly off-stage stuff resulting in easy edge-hogs and match 5 is on FD. I only critique FD matches if it's the only one someone uploads because there's no stage advice for FD.

Anyways, thanks for uploading some matches where you couldn't beat him, there's some good stuff to work with here so I'll get right to it.

0:08 - Always be aware of your opponent's attacks and how long they take to end after the hitbox, and always fish for opportunities to Jab at early percents. Right here was a perfect opportunity to turn and Jab him after that Dair but you rolled away out of hesitation instead. There are actually several times when you do this. Throwing out a Jab instead of dodging is almost always a better option as long as you don't do all three Jabs when you miss.
0:15 - Counter should only be used on a solid read, this early in a match it really doesn't serve much purpose. It's similar to Fsmash really, it should only be used when you've got them in a corner where one of their few options is to fall for it.
0:59 - That would have been the perfect time to Aetherplank, because he was close enough and just standing there spot-dodging, which Aether eats up. Look for opportunities to use Aether from the ledge for damage racking and to give yourself room to get back on the stage.
1:03 - For the best Lucario in the UK his SDI sure needs some work, lol. Nice job identifying that the combat walk would work there and keeping it going.
1:07 - Be very careful with Fairs, always be aware that your opponent can roll behind you (and Lucarios often will). This is why Nair is better against characters like Lucario because if you had not jumped so far forwards and used an Nair instead, you likely would have hit him after that roll with the back end of Nair or at least had less landing lag to turn around and Jab.
1:17 - It's pretty obvious you were expecting him to roll here, which is good but it's better to try and bait something like that. He won't roll behind you if you don't give him reason to first. Unfortunately this means that it's very hard to punish a character with a good roll like Lucario. Try taking a step towards him then quickly turning to Jab; even an empty short-hop in his direction may be enough to bait the roll and then pivot Jab when you land.
1:23 - Lol, there's that Dair into the ground again. If you use the Attack c-stick, fast-fall and Nair instead for much less landing lag and a much safer hitbox that surrounds you instead of only covering directly below you. Fair or an airdodge followed by Jabs when you land are also safer than Dair.
2:03 - He's obviously starting to read your aggressive style here, because he's gotten you with Double Team twice and racked up plenty of damage. If your opponent ever gets you with a move like Counter or is obviously racking damage quickly it's time to back off a bit and play more defensively until you can identify what it is he's reading. In this case you've been throwing out attacks at the earliest moment possible a lot instead of waiting to see what he does, so he's taking advantage of your zealotry.
2:09 - In a situation of close proximity like that at such high percent, it would be better to slide an Usmash away from him so that the back end of it hits either him or his shield. If it hits him, he gets KOd, if it hits his shield, he will likely rush in to punish only to meet your Jabs after Usmash's quick ending time. If he dodges it entirely, it was worth a shot rather than trying for a grab. Ike's grab reward is low at very high percents.
2:16 - At this percent you should be looking for opportunities to KO. You had done a ledge-drop Uair before in this match, and that was the perfect time for it there after he did his upB onto the stage.
2:45 - You had the right idea there to hope for the ghost to pop up, but in order to give yourself an even better chance at it, try Counter-stalling a bit and getting as close to the lower blast zone as you can before using Aether.
3:06 - You tried this earlier in the match and you've seen him use air-dodges to return to the stage a lot, so if you had read that and continued to fall a bit before using your Dair, that would have been an early KO. Air-dodges are the easiest way to ease yourself into reading and punishing, a lot of people abuse air-dodging and they are easy to punish if caught.
3:17 - You should work on being able to quickly identify when you don't need to use Aether to recover and when you do. Right here your double jump after his Bair took you high enough to grab the ledge and since Lucario's upB is so bad, you would have had an easy edge-hog. Instead you were forced to land on the stage with Aether which could have been punished.
3:28 - Again with the air-dodging, never hesitate to charge that Usmash a little longer, because 90% of players will air-dodge as soon as they are within it's range instead of trying to get out of it's range entirely.
4:09 - You should have aimed that Dair so that you went between the stage and the ghost so that it was unpunishable, always be wary of how you land your aerials. Dair wasn't a great option in that situation anyways with the ghost there; landing on the ghost with an Nair may have been better to cover more of his option.
4:27 - Lucario's recovery is very bad and predictable; since you had the ledge grabbed, you should have gone for a ledge drop Uair or Fair to very easily cover all of his options. With you on the ledge his only option was to head straight for the stage.

In summary, your Ike certainly isn't bad but there's plenty of room for improvement. Your DI was good in most cases and I liked your use of Jab cancel after Jab 1 instead of Jab 2. Your spacing with Fair needs some work, and you should use Nair more frequently instead of other aerials. Be careful with the use of Ike's specials, they are all very situational.

Otherwise, things like reading and predicting will come to you with time. There were a few moments in there where you were prepared for him to roll but he didn't because there was nothing baiting him to. The more you're moving all the time, the more it messes with your opponent and makes them get repetitive. When you see top players empty-jumping and dashing around, it's not for show, but to try and bait the opponent into one of their habits like rolling or approaching with a bad move that can be punished.

okay, thank you for this, to be honest, a fair amount of the stuff you pointed out are stuff in which i did something different to what i was trying to do (for example the grab when facing away i was trying to pivot a jab, but didnt let go of shield in time) but its nice to get some critique from people who actualyl play ike, honestly, having 'space more fairs' as the onyl advice you get really sucks.

i HAD been trying out something with like constantly fast falled nair, but i continuously messed it up so i dropped it, sadly this is why i wont ever be a particularly good player.

also something to point out if lucario is standing near the hedge, i CANNOT recover, because aura ball and f-smash can both knock ike out of aether, and because he cant grab the edge untill he is descending, lucario has plenty of time to do an f-smash or aura ball to knock you out of it, so basically if he gets you there you're dead, infact that should probably go in the matchup thread vs. lucario.

once again, thanks

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
also something to point out if lucario is standing near the hedge, i CANNOT recover, because aura ball and f-smash can both knock ike out of aether, and because he cant grab the edge untill he is descending, lucario has plenty of time to do an f-smash or aura ball to knock you out of it, so basically if he gets you there you're dead, infact that should probably go in the matchup thread vs. lucario.
To elaborate on what Brett said, it's possible to use Aether so that you do not go above the stage in his line of fire for Aura Spheres. As for Fsmash, in order for him to be close enough to hit you out of Aether with it, he has to give away the fact that his intention is to Fsmash you out of Aether... in which case just move your Aether closer and hit him with it. You should ban FD against Lucario because the lip prevents you from going under the stage with Aether, making it much easier and safer for him to edge-guard it.

On top of controlling your Aether based on his preferred edge-guard method, you can also very easily DI either of those attacks up, SDI towards the stage initially and save your double jump, allowing you to simply jump back to the stage. If you have to use your double jump, you can probably still reach the stage without having to use Aether or QD if you DI it right and you aren't high enough % that it will KO you.

If you want me to clarify or elaborate on anything let me know.

Tl;dr: Control your Aether, DI properly and ban FD; all problems have solutions.

The_Rake

Smash Lord

1:03 - For the best Lucario in the UK his SDI sure needs some work, lol. Nice job identifying that the combat walk would work there and keeping it going.
So true, my DI needs a lot of work, i don't di at all, unless im in some multi hit thing

once again, thanks
GP is very right about this, this was the 5th match we played, we forgot to save the first yoshis island we played so we re did it at the end and by then he was stopping me from fsmashing him out of aether a little.
I know there were a few kills i got when i was hitting him with aura balls and fsmashes when he popped up with his aether and it's basicly a free hit for lucario and in the FD match a free kill, I kept hitting him with aura till i could fully charge and kill.
There was 1 match which we don't have the replay for yet from frigate (frigrake ;)) where 2 of the kills are from spaced fsmashes out of aethers. Gp is right, that should go in the matchup thread and i'd be happy to give any details on that.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
To elaborate on what Brett said, it's possible to use Aether so that you do not go above the stage in his line of fire for Aura Spheres. As for Fsmash, in order for him to be close enough to hit you out of Aether with it, he has to give away the fact that his intention is to Fsmash you out of Aether... in which case just move your Aether closer and hit him with it. You should ban FD against Lucario because the lip prevents you from going under the stage with Aether, making it much easier and safer for him to edge-guard it.

On top of controlling your Aether based on his preferred edge-guard method, you can also very easily DI either of those attacks up, SDI towards the stage initially and save your double jump, allowing you to simply jump back to the stage. If you have to use your double jump, you can probably still reach the stage without having to use Aether or QD if you DI it right and you aren't high enough % that it will KO you.

If you want me to clarify or elaborate on anything let me know.

Tl;dr: Control your Aether, DI properly and ban FD; all problems have solutions.

Tbf to GP he did ban FD and i took him to frigate (it's my best CP anyway). The FD and battlefield matches were friendlies we had after a Bo5. You also need to remember how broken the range of lucarios fsmash is, you always underestimate it.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Tbf to GP he did ban FD and i took him to frigate (it's my best CP anyway). The FD and battlefield matches were friendlies we had after a Bo5. You also need to remember how broken the range of lucarios fsmash is, you always underestimate it.
Oh I definitely know it's range and the duration of the hitbox are ridiculous, I tell people never to spot-dodge against Lucario because he hardly even needs to time many of his attacks to punish them. But the fact that on stages like BF, SV and PS1 Ike's Aether can be used under the edge of the stage a good distance eliminates the threat of just about any attack in the game besides projectiles. Even in the ditto an Ike would be hard pressed to hit another Ike out of Aetherplanking on BF with an Fair.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Oh I definitely know it's range and the duration of the hitbox are ridiculous, I tell people never to spot-dodge against Lucario because he hardly even needs to time many of his attacks to punish them. But the fact that on stages like BF, SV and PS1 Ike's Aether can be used under the edge of the stage a good distance eliminates the threat of just about any attack in the game besides projectiles. Even in the ditto an Ike would be hard pressed to hit another Ike out of Aetherplanking on BF with an Fair.

Very true, i noticed that when playing on BF. Naturaly I baned it against him, I knew it was a good ike stage and I hate it anyway.
It's really too bad that we dont have the frigate footage because theres some special stuff in there

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Very true, i noticed that when playing on BF. Naturaly I baned it against him, I knew it was a good ike stage and I hate it anyway.
It's really too bad that we dont have the frigate footage because theres some special stuff in there
please, let me forget about that match, also you got hella lucky on my second death and you know it XP

The_Rake

Smash Lord
please, let me forget about that match, also you got hella lucky on my second death and you know it XP
That was one of my few legitimate 3 stocks man

And i did get lucky (for all who wish to know what we're on about heres what happened)
I forced you offstage, i believe with fairs and when i started to retreat after knocking you far enough away so you couldn't recover you used aether to take me down with you, I think I airdodged one of the last hits and, what appeard to be in vain, used extreme speed to aim towards the stage from being magnified in the bottom left corner. I somehow made it far enough to wallcling (did not look like I would recover far enough) then jumped back onto the stage.

Say what you wasnt GP but I played that match well. It's not called frigrake for nothing ;)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
That was one of my few legitimate 3 stocks man

And i did get lucky (for all who wish to know what we're on about heres what happened)
I forced you offstage, i believe with fairs and when i started to retreat after knocking you far enough away so you couldn't recover you used aether to take me down with you, I think I airdodged one of the last hits and, what appeard to be in vain, used extreme speed to aim towards the stage from being magnified in the bottom left corner. I somehow made it far enough to wallcling (did not look like I would recover far enough) then jumped back onto the stage.

Say what you wasnt GP but I played that match well. It's not called frigrake for nothing ;)
description was not needed, i never realised how BAD the right side was for ike, needless to say i'm never letting you go there again, but at least i know what ill be counterpicking if BF is striked/already used

The_Rake

Smash Lord
description was not needed, i never realised how BAD the right side was for ike, needless to say i'm never letting you go there again, but at least i know what ill be counterpicking if BF is striked/already used
yea, the right side of the first bit is very bad for ike, the left side isnt so bad, you can poke me with aether to stop me ****** your recovery. When the stage flips its bad all round, very easy for lucario to **** ikes recovery.

Ha take it you're going PS1 then ;)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yea, the right side of the first bit is very bad for ike, the left side isnt so bad, you can poke me with aether to stop me ****** your recovery. When the stage flips its bad all round, very easy for lucario to **** ikes recovery.

Ha take it you're going PS1 then ;)
yup, either that or lylat, i like the infinite ike has agaisnt everyone on the walls, not many people have that with a grab

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Really I need another CP incase i get a ban, ive been trying rainbow recently but im not so sure, i like castle seige though, always been a fav

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Really I need another CP incase i get a ban, ive been trying rainbow recently but im not so sure, i like castle seige though, always been a fav
you probs should get a few and have them for different characters, but meh, i have a cp for mk and diddy, its called r.o.b XP

theeboredone

Smash Legend
New York Shark started with that sprite, and stop talking about your matches here if it has nothing to do with critiquing. You ladies can discuss it over a cup of tea or something. People walk into here to see tips and hints on what to do in their videos, not a pointless convo between two british boys.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
New York Shark started with that sprite, and stop talking about your matches here if it has nothing to do with critiquing. You ladies can discuss it over a cup of tea or something. People walk into here to see tips and hints on what to do in their videos, not a pointless convo between two british boys.
haha, more british comments, but fair enough, it had stopped anyway, its was continueing on bookface

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Well, to get us back on topic :p you guys can critique my Ike. Here's my first vid, uploading the second soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnYKeogv5TE
I was going to critique this earlier but a whole bunch of stuff came up. Anyways, I'll get right to it. I won't critique your last stock because it was so short and reeking of WiFi failure on your opponent's part.

0:04 - You shouldn't Fair straight at your opponent. Jump forward slightly but then use the c-stick to Fair and retreat back with the control stick.
0:10 - That QD was just a bad idea all around. It should only be used for a few very specific things: a mix-up for recovery in situations where Aether is too slow or risky, and to quickly move across the stage when your opponent is not nearby. If he hadn't jumped right into it there he could have punished it with whatever he wanted.
0:12 - In this situation, or just about any situation for that matter, it's better to turn around and slide backwards while using Usmash. That way you hit with the very tip of the back end of Usmash and it is much harder to punish. Also, Usmash has a large and lingering hitbox on the back end that is perfect for punishing landing lag after an AD.
0:21 - You shouldn't go for a grab against such an aggressive opponent. If you can read someone with a defensive style who likes to shield, go ahead and throw in a grab, but otherwise you're safer using Jabs.
0:48 - You've got to be very careful with Bair while fast-falling to the ground. It's very hard to time and if you miss you'll almost always end up getting punished, especially in the ditto. It would be better to just land and either reset your spacing or go for Jabs, since most characters will expect the Bair and spot-dodge.
0:54 - If you want to follow up Bthrow with a DA it has to be an Instant Dash Attack. Otherwise he has plenty of time to react. I realize this is WiFi so that may have been the reason.
1:00 - Again that was probably an attempted Jab cancel + WiFi, but just in case, that move that came out there... Dsmash or whatever it's called... it shouldn't be used. Ever.
1:02 - You have to be faster on Jab out of shield. Even on WiFi you should have been jabbing as soon as that DA touched your shield.
1:06 - Purposely going so low off-stage is NOT a good idea. It is very easy for a skilled player to edge-hog Aether, so you need to stay as high as possible to give yourself more options. Luckily this guy was not a skilled player, but remember to always recover high enough that you can grab the ledge or land on the stage if necessary.
1:14 - If you land an Nair at low percents and close range like that, follow it up with Jabs right away. It's basically free damage on most characters.
1:20 - Now here is a case where you should have gone low beneath the stage and Aether'd under him to inflict a good 20%. If someone does something dumb like charge a smash at the edge while you're off-stage, punish them with the full power of your Aether.
1:52 - Don't use Counter like that, it's so useless. The worst he could do is a ledge attack or an Fair after a ledge drop and double jump. Otherwise you'll just get punished like you did. Instead, use short hop Nairs at the ledge to pressure your opponent and cover many options at once.
1:58 - I notice a lot of less experienced players do this. You need to always be moving. Chase after him off-stage on that platform, pressure his landings and approaches with Nairs and Jabs, empty jump to bait things like rolls and bad approach options. Never just stand completely still, it doesn't accomplish anything.
2:14 - That's also a bad time to use Counter. There really aren't many good times to use it... just if a Ganon does something like Volcano Kick or Warlock Punch. Using Counter while returning to the stage will get you punished 90% of the time against a good player, and KOd 90% of the times you're punished.

Okay, so overall... not too bad but definitely plenty of outstanding things to work on. Space your aerials better; learn to use the c-stick to input your aerials before the A button gets too ingrained in your system, because c-sticking aerials allows for much easier spacing. If you already use the c-stick for aerials... well, just always be conscious of your spacing. Before using any aerial quickly ask yourself "will I get punished for this if I miss?" If the answer is "yes", use an Nair instead. I mean that seriously and kind of as a joke. Of course you can also just back off and use no attacks or land and Jab.

No more Quickdraw on-stage or when it's not needed. You got lucky because this other player seems to feel a need to jump 10 miles into the air every time he hits you, so he jumped right into your QDs both times. If he had stayed grounded he could have charged an Fsmash to his liking and probably KOd you at 31%. You need to Jab more and look for opportunities to Jab instead of grab. There's a reason I always capitalize the word "Jab".

Let me know if you'd like me to clarify or elaborate on anything, and keep practicing!

Shinydarkrai94

Smash Rookie
Excellent advice nysyarc :). I think you're right about my mistakes in that battle and I'm going to try playing "safer" for a while and slightly modify my strategy a bit. Also, I was wondering, could I fight you sometime? You seem like a very skilled Ike player :). My fc is 4854 9882 0652 (hope this isn't too off topic >.<).

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Excellent advice nysyarc :). I think you're right about my mistakes in that battle and I'm going to try playing "safer" for a while and slightly modify my strategy a bit. Also, I was wondering, could I fight you sometime? You seem like a very skilled Ike player :). My fc is 4854 9882 0652 (hope this isn't too off topic >.<).
I could definitely fight you sometime, in fact feel free to sign up for the next Ike boards online tourney if you'd like to get some experience against a bunch of different Ike mains. But yah, my FC is over on the left of my post there, I'll be online quite a bit tomorrow afternoon and evening so I'll send you a VM if I notice you online.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Sorry for the double post but I wasn't gonna wait possibly a week for someone else to post here and I wanted this to be in a new post.

These are videos of me vs Raziek, a Marth player from an offline tournament a couple weeks ago. Any general tips and advice and also MU-specific advice for Marth would be great, because I've lost to this guy in loser's finals too many times, lol.

Nysyarc (Ike) vs. Raziek (Marth) 1
Nysyarc (Ike) vs. Raziek (Marth) 2
Nysyarc (Ike) vs. Raziek (Marth) 3
Nysyarc (Ike) vs. Raziek (Marth) 4
Nysyarc (Ike) vs. Raziek (Marth) 5

That's all of them. There were a few bad mistakes I made that I was aware of at the time but I won't be specific; take no sympathy on me, rip these apart plox.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
First match only.

I found myself paying more attention to the Marth player than you lol. Tell him to stop countering into your charged F-smashes, it's pathetic. Also, tell him to learn how to gimp Ike. He sucks at it.

Anyways, on your end, against Marth, use more spaced F-airs. He could have punished you a few times, but didn't. He did a dolphin slash when you jab canceled, but you got nothing out of it. You did a good job baiting it, and judging by his skill level, you should do it more often on him until he learns his lesson. Then you can jab cancel and up tilt for a kill.

The F-smash kills were good, but you really shouldn't rely on those. A good player doesn't air dodge or jump into an f-smash after getting thrown off stage.

2nd Match, you whiffed the D-air spike to start, and if he had sweet spotted the edge, you would have been dead. Bad way to start the match for both people. Shortly after, you QD back onto stage, right into him, leaving yourself exposed. Marth is quick and can hit you fast, so he can instantly hit you with something.

Try to refrain from damaging him with aether, any smart Marth player can Di properly and Dolphin Slash you.

At :48, random Up-air? Trying to make a hard read? I don't know what you were trying to do there.
:55, you didn't see the Lava coming and got punished.
1:00, up throw? Okay...
1:03, missing the edge grab? That's obviously not cause of wifi is it? Still, that's 10 damage on you either way. On top of that, he had a chance to kill you, cause you popped up straight to him.
1:30, you missed the edge with aether. I don't know if you were trying to slide back by pushing your aether forward enough, but regardless, it got you killed.
*Any time you throw him and he jumps back into you like a *******, tell him to stop doing that.
1:55: He gets hit by the lava, perfect time to do an up-air or f-air to kill him, but you're busy doing a random drop down b-air. On top of that, you get hit by the lava cause of it. Dude, you seriously have no stage presence on Brinstar.
2:05: OMG, what is wrong with this guy? Shortly after that, poorly spaced F-air by you. After he reads your air dodge, and n-airs you onto the left platform, you gotta tech that. A little bit after that, you tried to grab Marth after you shielded his f-air? Okay...That whole sequence is just bad on both of you. Finally, trying to up-air him after aethering onto the edge is cool and all, but it won't work against a good marth who knows how to gimp Ike.
2:35, you try to grab after he does an initial dancing blade strike. Really, you sholdn't even be bother trying to grab him.
That QD maneuver shortly after was dumb. You're lucky he didn't know what to do about it.
3:09, poorly spaced N-air, leads to dolphin slash kill. You should be aware he's trying to kill you, and one of Marth's favorite killing moves is Dolphin Slash.
3:28, poor use of aether.
Sequence after that, whenever you get hit by him, you're air dodging into him, leading to more hits. Try to get yourself away from the onslaught.
At the end, dumb use of aether, he finally did something about it.

So overall, cut out the constant aethering and don't rely too much on those people jumping into your smash attacks. Space a bit better, and don't air dodge into your opponent as much. As far as match 2 goes, you didn't use the stage that well. You shoulda taken advantage of the slides Ike has with aether, the hit box lag the pods, and be aware of the lava level.

And tell your Marth buddy to learn how to gimp Ike.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
In this thread, namesearching because I expected Nysyarc to post these. Thanks for the critique, I will admit I played a bit ******** that set. I'm gonna stop going for counter, for sure, the payoff isn't worth the risk. X_X

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Dang, thanks for the tips Bored, I definitely need to work on my habit of air-dodging. And yah my stage experience on Brinstar is limited, I've been starting to play it some more recently. I rarely KO with Fsmash but I do sometimes use it to bait a Counter against a Marth or another Ike who likes to use it. Needless to say Raz didn't use it again this entire set after that first match, lol.

1:00, up throw? Okay...
At the time I wanted to go for an Uair read as he was coming down. Basically I'd get below him to bait an air-dodge and Uair to punish it. Turns out he didn't even air-dodge so it worked anyways, lol. Seemed like the option that was most likely to get me a KO at the time, since a Bthrow or Fthrow would put him off the platform and allow him to get out of Fair range pretty quick.

Other than that I have no excuse for the other stuff, I'm really bad at that stage, lol.

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
Dang, thanks for the tips Bored, I definitely need to work on my habit of air-dodging. And yah my stage experience on Brinstar is limited, I've been starting to play it some more recently. I rarely KO with Fsmash but I do sometimes use it to bait a Counter against a Marth or another Ike who likes to use it. Needless to say Raz didn't use it again this entire set after that first match, lol.

At the time I wanted to go for an Uair read as he was coming down. Basically I'd get below him to bait an air-dodge and Uair to punish it. Turns out he didn't even air-dodge so it worked anyways, lol. Seemed like the option that was most likely to get me a KO at the time, since a Bthrow or Fthrow would put him off the platform and allow him to get out of Fair range pretty quick.

Other than that I have no excuse for the other stuff, I'm really bad at that stage, lol.

Thanks for bringing up air dodges, because thats what I want to talk about. I have a VERY bad habit of air dodging in air, especially against people who kill me in the air, like Olimar : All I do is keep dodging, and then I get punished for this, and my Dair doesnot either, so what is the best thing to do other than air dodging?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Retreating nair is probably the best thing you can do other than air dodge. Works even better if you can face away from them and have the nair end behind you. Ike isn't that slow in the air, so it's relatively safe to everyone but the fastest ground characters. Other aerials work too as crazy mixups, but they contain a lot more risk.

If you want to be fancy, maybe a QD if you think you can time it so you can reach the ledge.. rofl

Remember to save your double jump for the end just in case.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks for bringing up air dodges, because thats what I want to talk about. I have a VERY bad habit of air dodging in air, especially against people who kill me in the air, like Olimar : All I do is keep dodging, and then I get punished for this, and my Dair doesnot either, so what is the best thing to do other than air dodging?
If your opponent is directly under you, then your best bet is to either airdodge or NAir. Don't try to use DAir, it may be tempting because of it's long vertical hitbox, but it has considerable landing lag which makes it easy to punish.

EDIT: Wow san, thanks for stealing my post. /sarcasm

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you have attack stick, dair works at around the same height you would use the nair, because you'll be able to land after the move ends if you time it right. I say may, because I rarely tried this myself, so I'm not sure how effective it will be, considering the amount of shield push dair gives.

Sorry metroid, I wasn't aware you were visiting the boards at that hour.

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
Okay thanks for the advice, from however many there were lol

I could definitely fight you sometime, in fact feel free to sign up for the next Ike boards online tourney if you'd like to get some experience against a bunch of different Ike mains. But yah, my FC is over on the left of my post there, I'll be online quite a bit tomorrow afternoon and evening so I'll send you a VM if I notice you online.

Btw, I never played you on that Bi weekly tourney we had online. Do you mind if we get each others friend code and play each other? I know its online, but still would like some exp playing ya before next Sunday

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
This threads needs moar vids coming in. If anyone records/uploads matches at the bi-weekly and wants them critiqued feel free to post em here. Some people don't like critiquing WiFi stuff or Ike dittos but I don't mind, and it'll give me something to do at times like this when I can't sleep but have nothing else to do.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
For the sake of keeping this thread active, if I find a match on AiB that I thought was particularly interesting, I hope you won't mind me recording it and posting it here.

Easier said than done because most of the time I just mash Start on the results screen either because I'm raging since I lost to some nonsense or because I won due to something I don't like to win with (see: poor Aetherspike that the opponent jumped into, poor DI on the opponent's part, etc). Not so much that I'm a scrub, it's just that I don't like record matches where I lost because the opponent made a huge mistake. Tiny mistakes are okay :p

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
For the sake of keeping this thread active, if I find a match on AiB that I thought was particularly interesting, I hope you won't mind me recording it and posting it here.

Easier said than done because most of the time I just mash Start on the results screen either because I'm raging since I lost to some nonsense or because I won due to something I don't like to win with (see: poor Aetherspike that the opponent jumped into, poor DI on the opponent's part, etc). Not so much that I'm a scrub, it's just that I don't like record matches where I lost because the opponent made a huge mistake. Tiny mistakes are okay :p
Lol, yah not a problem, anything for me to rip apart second by second. I'm kind of the same way except I only tend to save replays where I finished with a pretty cool KO or a nice read. Doesn't matter what happened half way through or at the start, just the ending. Out of the 200+ replays I currently have on my SD card, only about 5 are ones that show my opponents doing well. I don't intend it that way, it just happens.

Top Bottom