• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
But if the marth is good at mixing up his aerials, it'd be hard to tell what he was going for, he could bait air-dodges or just go for the f-air too. And if he's on the ground it could lead to u-tilt juggles or dancing blades

and "camp, space, and mix it up" applies to probably every situation regardless

Sudai

Stuff here
Marth's UAir juggle is scary. It may be slow, but like Crois said plus it auto-cancels well meaning if he UAir auto cancel > UTilts, it eats our air dodge and we don't have anything that can beat his UAir from below. Buuuttttt, that's why we just don't get above Marth.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
This. Marth can actually gimp is by ledgehogging and Bairs and Fairs. If we try to recover low he can drop and DS. You have to shoot him to make sure you revover well. This IMO is one of the most even MUs in Brawl.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've never had trouble getting onstage at all versus a Marth. We're so much more mobile than he is.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Stingers is right, if you play a Marth who knows the MU, you WILL NOT recover! It's just simple, Marth destroys all that Rob has in air and his upB limits him to his aerials. You have no chance to recover if the Marth knows what he is doing.

Also, you can do the same to him.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
getting back to the ledge isnt that hard, but ROBs only safe option for making it back to the stage involves you getting above marth, putting you in a terrible position.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ah, that's where we differ. I hardly ever recover from the top. I always take my time hovering with ROB's UpB waiting for the opening, I don't go above because I know I'd get destroyed.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
explain to me how you get off the ledge onto the stage safely then because i'd really like to know >.>

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I always recover due to habit from near the bottom blast zone. You'll see this in my matches vs. MK on youtube. I go below the edge and hover/approach with my UpB and when I actually go up, I Uair usually and I always make it on the ledge. Getting onstage is a different story, but I find it easier than Just going above usually because i'm always counterpicked to stages like Battlefield with platforms.

ROB is more at home versus Marth when he's onstage than offstage. The only two of our aerials that have even a slight chance against a Marth are Nair and Fair, but if you're trying to get back safely, they're probably staled by then. To even get your aerials to work, you've got to space them just right, and even then, pretty much all Marth mains are **** when it comes to spacing. They'll just counterspace.

Your best bet to have any chance of winning this matchup is just stay onstage, and don't use your aerials too much. Take your time racking up damage. You could even be super homo and try to time them out. But just tilt a lot and camp. Lotsa low ftilts to poke, and this will be your main damage racker, and then throw in a dtilt to refresh them. And pummel too.

So basically my advice is just take your time getting the Marth to KO percents, then use your fresh aerials/whatever you want to use. Your aerials being fresh will also be a bit of a help when you're offstage getting *****.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I hope everyone agree that this matchup is in Marth's favour. But which stages should we take him to?

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Rob vs Marth is fun. I think it's pretty even myself.

B reversal shied canceled gyros are happy face in the air for this matchup to avoid them uairs.

onstage poke with ftilts

yeah.

I'll probably use this post to go more into detail later, but i would put this matchup around...

50/50

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I think its even as well.

we win on the ground. and we can beat him if he's in the air and we're on the ground.

it's everything else that's tricky.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Hey cutie, how are you doing on this fine evening?

Oh, uh... Yeah this matchup is pretty even. What strategies do you use in the air to avoid getting juggled, Stingers? ;)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This MU is dead even ccst, I think everyone agrees :) Marth ***** us in the air, we **** Marth in the ground. Also, we **** each other offstage.

The reason why Marth gimps Rob is that all of his aerials can beat yours and you can only do an aerial out of your upB. If you try to recover high, Marth can even jump a little farther offstage to possibly kill you or attempt to spike, anyways, if you recover, expect a lot of damage in the process.

It's just a matter of gaining momentum to centralize the game to the stage as much as you can. I would go as far as to say the matchup is 55/45 ROB because you've got an advantage both onstage and above the stage, whereas Marth only has an advantage if you're completely offstage. I would advise to take Marth to big, flat-ish stages like FD, Cruise, and Japes. Maybe Japes not so much because it's still risky, but it's a surprisingly large stage. Avoid small areas with small-ish lateral blastlines like Smashville or YI.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
he ***** us on the ground?
:S

Eh I just find this match up something like this:
Bait rob's ftilt.
If it hits my shield it's a shield drop fsmash.
If I'm in the air and it whiffs me I swipe at his lack of disjoints.

DB stalling throws off his grab, gyro and laser timing.
Uair *****.

ROB does have some lame *** gimps though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
ROB is a real pain to fight, just because of the nature of the match-up.

On the ground, ROB's F-tilt is a big pain, but like Shaya said, we just wait for the whiff or shield it. D-Smash is lolwut easy to DI out of, other than that ROB doesn't really have a ton on the ground, besides his camping.

On his camping, Marth doesn't have as much trouble as others simply based on his speed. Gyro and Charged Lazer should be power-shielded on reaction, and weak laser is a nuisance at best.

In the air, ROB gets ***** pretty hard once Marth is in control. Like Shaya and Stingers mentioned, uair ***** hard. Fair doesn't **** as hard as usual, since I'm pretty sure your fair might beat out ours slightly, so it's usually safest to fight ROB from below. All we really have to do is watch out for Nair and Bair tricks.

IMO, this match-up really comes down to who can get the other offstage. ROB has some insane gimps thanks to his recovery from forever, but Marth has a pretty easy time guarding ROB's super predictable recovery. Recovering low is risking getting Dolphin Slashed, unless the stage is deep enough that you can go under both Dolphin Slash AND the stage, and still recover, and going high will put you in a position to be put back out by bair, or juggled by uair.

ROB really relies on pestering Marth and disrupting spacing, then going for the gimp.

I'm also going to have to agree that this is probably one of the most even match-ups in Brawl.

50:50.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
50:50 is the standard...

I can't really put much word into this beyond what I know of game specifics/frame data. I haven't really been able to play this match up competitively in tournament since like... July last year. Last time I played a ROB in tournament was CPU (guy who won item evo 2008). But I've never put extensive work into the match up like I have against "other" evens like DK or Wolf. Maybe it's just "that even".

An irking in me tells me it could be worse for ROB... but I don't see this match up being played by high level marths in tournaments at all either. Like... once in a blue moon.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, I play a pretty good ROB around here semi-frequently, so I'm offering my opinions based on that, since we're about equal in skill.

Croissant

Smash Apprentice
In the air, f-airing isn't the best strategy for either... if one lands it the other can hit back pretty quickly with theirs, it's just that Marth's n-air outranges all of robs aerials horizontally.

Blindman!

Smash Apprentice
id say it is a 50:50....... depending on stage..... FD even or slightly r favor and i pretty much agree bout the way to fight himso yea.....

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
ehh I think it's 55:45 rob actually. We have advantage onstage and offstage

I always thought it was easier to get back on the stage vs Marth than people think. Or maybe its just because I train so hard to recover vs MK.. lol.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol i have less trouble getting back on against MKs then I do marths. though that might just result from the quality of MK players I play >.>

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I play Xisin a whole lot, and it is VERY DIFFICULT for me to get back onto stage against his Marth. But only his Marth tho, I don't know any other Marths that know the rob MU as well in the Midwest.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Xisin is the king. Where is that boy hiding these days?
Well, back when I dug him up in Morehead, we played a lot, then I moved into his area and played too much. Now he has a degree and a job. And his work place is understaffed and have him working 12 hr shifts. So he's rly tied down with work atm. He'll be back into the scene soon enough I hope. He's already asking if I'm going to MLG Raleigh, so he might make his next appearance there XD. Xisin is better than most ppl think.

I only pick the best dubz partners<3

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I hope this isn't going to be inactive. And R.O.B. has one of the most even MU's in Brawl IMO.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes and that is why he isn't so good, you don't really win against anyone, but you lose to the best **** char in the game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well I only have experience against dedede, who is played my country's best player, he can be dangerous. I am the only one to main Rob and ZSS here xD

Top Bottom