• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Scar

#HarveyDent
I'm new to falcon, and am having some trouble with my edge-game. Edge-gaurding, combos from the edge, etc. I'm just too predictable, and because of it, I get severely punished. Any ideas? I neeeeeeeed to get better with him....

I'm trying to become less predictable in general, so can you give me some ways to switch it up, maybe some mindgames and junk like that.

Thanks in advance Scar, You're the best!
if you're predictable you're doing it wrong

you know why

bc YOU SHOULDN'T BE ATTACKING

so you can't be predictable if you're never trying to hit the other guy bc you're only reacting to the **** that he does.

the edge is not your favorite place so you probably shouldn't be there

watch some vids of hax and SS and see how often they approach

NEVER

Zephyr

Smash Lord
if you're predictable you're doing it wrong

you know why

bc YOU SHOULDN'T BE ATTACKING

so you can't be predictable if you're never trying to hit the other guy bc you're only reacting to the **** that he does.

the edge is not your favorite place so you probably shouldn't be there

watch some vids of hax and SS and see how often they approach

NEVER
All the same, if you merely react to everything your opponent does, and if your opponent is sharp enough, they can bait reactions and punish you heavily for it. An all-out reactionary approach is not the way to wage war. True combat is an interplay of strikes and counterstrikes, balanced appropriately to one's advantage.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
the key is the lagless recovery. Anyone who sees the airdodge will immediately try to punish (usually), but you can shield immediately after invincibility frames, or dash or roll to avoid punishment. im not saying its amazing every time, it's just another option for falcons recovery, and varying options are all falcon has to recover, since all of them are ***** by spacies/sheik.
I see you stole my avatar lol:)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Air dodge recovery is underrated. Just do it, take damage and get sent onto the stage, then you just have to re-group and take back control... vs trying an upB and dying off the side.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
Air dodge recovery is underrated. Just do it, take damage and get sent onto the stage, then you just have to re-group and take back control... vs trying an upB and dying off the side.
99% of the time when you get hit out of the airdodge recovery

your going back off stage

so it doesnt work

unless your play a scrub

son

scar doesnt place in socal or norcal or w.e

dont listen to him hes bad

CorteX

Smash Cadet
I've been playing falcon alot more and now my friends won't even play me anymore, I usually 4-stock or ace them.
I have been playing the game more competetively against better players and I actually won some of those matches.
My falcon is getting much better in a really short time.
But I still have 2 questions for Scar or anyone else who knows.

Is there anything you can do against Sheik's dthrow? She basically throws you onto the ground, predicts where you are going to roll and repeats, so annoying and from what I can tell there's nothing falcon can do.
Basically m2k's "You came all the way out here just to get grabbed" video, recapped.

The other thing is peach's uthrow, I tried SDI-ing out of it, basically everything that lies in my power to get out of it but nothing worked.
Altho I did SDI out of it and rolled away, but I think Peach just missed her oppertunity.

Looking forward to your answers.
HYESZ!

Mokumo

Smash Ace
when youre getting tech chased try to mix it up as much as you can. try not teching. if they do the jab reset you can DI up and jump out. you have to DI with the Cstick after like 30 or 40%.

or if youre so good you can just not get grabbed =)

mers

Smash Ace
The other thing is peach's uthrow, I tried SDI-ing out of it, basically everything that lies in my power to get out of it but nothing worked.
Altho I did SDI out of it and rolled away, but I think Peach just missed her oppertunity.

HYESZ!
You can't SDI throws, except for Puff's Fthrow, so its not worth trying. I'm not sure what percents Peach's chaingrab is doable, but when you're at those percents you can't escape unless the Peach screws up.

Things to try to make them screw up:

-Unpredictably trying to change DI hard left and right
-DIing off the stage (risky)
-Slight DI, causing them to over/undershoot the grab (Peach's grab range sucks)
-No DI, giving you the greatest vertical distance, allowing you to hopefully jump out (risky, shouldn't really work anyways).

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
For all that don't know bout Animals falcon. Its pretty much a combofiend. Thats it, because hes a ****** he never finishes **** so I expect a knee and DI it and he Uairs inestead and im like wtf this kids such a herb.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
mike your freaking trash

your telling me i post like an idiot

but look at you asking how to edgegaurd

youve been playing for 2 years figure it out

scrub

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
i have most deffinetly not been playing for 2 years, i started playing and played for about 4 months (when i signed up), stopped playing and i just picked it back up just now. i have not even been to any major tournament yet, and during my initial period i only played like 3 people. just ask any smasher here in sweden.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
then why are you constantly asking questions

ever since you joined you always ask question

if your not playing maybe u shouldnt ask QUESTIONS

im just giving you a hard time tho, i just thought it was messed up you want me banned

but ill tell you

to edge guard ganon use uptilt because he cant sweet spot, same as falcons recovery

if you see that hes going to be able to reach the edge, grab it, if you see that hes going high then get him

he cant really do anything

edge guarding doc is almost impossible

if you get hit by an up-b your screwed

your best option is try to hold on the edge as long as you can

if you can try to back air him if hes not too low

i would rather just wait for him to come back

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
edgeguarding ganon is super easy, if they recover high just knee them if they havent up b yet use uair cuz theyd prob try n fair u, so by using ur uair it comes out faster than there gay *** fair so it should beat if it u space it, if they recover low just hog edge n wait for the up b like honestly wat is he gona do magically grab u off the edge wit his amazing n mind gamey up b

edgeguarding doc hog edge n roll / maybe getup attack if u time it right, cuz if u just do a get up or jump off the edge theres a chance of him hitting u wit his up b, u can also bair threw his up b if u space it really well

thats the most basic solution for that, a good trick is if ur not sure if ur gona time the roll right u can get up atk from the edge n since it has invincibility frames from the edge the get up atk will go threw most up bs if its timed right n it will give u a next try to edge gaurd them again

yo does anyone wana do falcon dittos at apex?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i did good in a tournament on saturday and went all falcon

wobbles destroyed me so ****ing bad though, and zhu pretty much left me no chance to win either

i mostly only beat low tiers

D

Deleted member

great tournament in socal yesterday

i finally beat some people (some sets not recorded)

great set with tec0

great teams sets

Top Bottom