• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 8: -TOP 50 POSTED-

Junahu

Smash Ace
+
+
=

I've got what will probably amount to an annoying list of nitpicks. So I'll first preface this by declaring that I absolutely love the aerial game. It's genuinely spot on in accentuating Salamence's aerial prowess (something Colloseum/XD/BattleRevolution never really understood). I'm sure even Rool would approve of the way you integrated his five glide attacks, and it stands as proof that even simple extensions of existing brawl mechanics can prove exhillerating.

now, nitpick time.
Steel Wing is totally a Special, given that it literally toggles a mode that entirely changes the way Dragonmence plays. I'd certainly hate to be a new player checking out all the moves, and wondering why I can't jump properly anymore (of all the inputs, up-tilt is by far the hardest for a new player to activate reliably [god**** tap-jump!])

The Outrage special needs a token hitbox, perhaps something like the one from the Outrage regular attack?
Similarly, Focus Energy sounds like unneccesary padding for the Outrage mechanic. It works just fine having him become outraged easier as he accumulates damage. In its place I'd rather see a move where Charinence throws his weight around a little.

While I can understand how Outrage characterises Salamite's wrath, all the defensive tricks leading up to it.. make him sound like a certain other dragon type pokemon.. you know, the actual defensive one who learns Outrage and Twister naturally?
I forget his name, but the point is that it doesn't feel right to play defensively as this proud, agressive pokemon. He's supposed to leap in, all scary and stuff, and whollop things as hard as he can while the opposition cowers in fear (or readies an Ice attack).

And my final complaint; for all the flaming/burning/stage igniting attacks Salazard performs, he performs many of them better than the dedicated fire attack user himself. Obviously, that can't be helped, since Charizard's moveset is surprisingly lean with its fire powers.

Arcanine:
I made you a longer comment, but SWF deleted it :urg:
I enjoyed the idea of charging around while whipping out your attacks, but few of the attacks seemed to fit the central idea, making him play like a coward who doesn't want to fight unless he has his buffs up

Dionysus:
I worry about the "nothing happens if Y is used before X" manner of this moveset, especially with the Down-Special requiring a contextual use of the Side-Special to have any effect. It's never intuitive when an attack "does nothing whatsoever" when used out of a certain context, because it is typically impossible to properly establish to the player, just what that context is.
I think he would work better, if such moves had a drastically nerfed effect when used incorrectly (e.g. slower vines extend from Dionysus himself for his grab, if there is no vineyard in play). This way, it establishes the theme of "vines" to the player, encouraging them to experiment with certain moves, without punishing them for not doing things in the "right" order.

Beyond that, Dionysus is a real tour de force of character and fun. You're becoming particularly adept at getting under the skin of your characters, and understanding their motives

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I know this is inappropriate for thread talk. But I just got the ability to be able to use chat. The only problem is that I cannot enter, as it cannot be done without a mod's permission, whom I think is The Sundance Kid. Would somebody, anybody, help with this. Then I can enter chat, finally long-awaited.

EDIT: Don't worry about this post. Everything's ok.

Agi

Smash Lord
So I'm a few weeks late.

Dark Bowser

Yes, I finally got around to reading/commenting a set that wasn't five moves long... So of course I started with the longest one in the entire contest. Anyway, comment below.

It'd be hard to say anything about DB that hasn't already been said... so I'll just pretend I'm the first to comment on it. Let's get this out of the way... it's obvious you had fun writing this set. While I've never had trouble getting through your sets before (that is, any more trouble than any other set,) there was just something about DB. Maybe it was the touches of humor such as at the start of the BAir, or the way you chose to phrase the transition between smash/unsmash that kept the set fresh and interesting to read. That said, your writing style can work against you in small ways. When you mentioned the interaction between the Dash Attack and the NAir, it was a bit of a letdown when after all that time it was essentially "use the Dash Attack inside the cage, ololol"

...which brings me to the negative portion of this comment. You know this, I know this, the chubby kid down the street knows this, but many of the moves are absolutely blatant ripoffs of moves already existing in Smash or MYM. There's the obvious Dash Attack, FTilt, BAir, which are Luigified versions of Bowser's attacks. There's the Warlordian stomp in the DTilt, which while different from your previous ones still feels oddly familiar. I couldn't help noticing that the FTilt (yes, the FTilt again) and the FAir were basically exactly the same moves as they had been in two of my own sets-- Wood Man and N, respectively-- and the FTilt even served the exact same purpose, setting up for the grab. All of this is forgivable, however, because of how beautifully it meshes. Not a single move feels out of place or instantly becomes useless when a cage isn't in play. The Dark Thwomp does seem somewhat redundant/prop syndromey as an input... wouldn't it be just as easy to have him appear above Dark Bowser's head when he summons the rest of his minions? Sure, you can't kill him, but he could disappear after the last Koopa is knocked offstage or whatever. I suppose you lose a fair amount of control that way, but the USmash input you gained could be used to interact with the cage somehow.

The moveset as a whole, however, was extremely good, as you know. I can easily see why it's being heralded as the best in the contest. If the complaints in the above paragraph sounded forced/nitpicky, it's because for the most part they were. I loved this set for the simplicity of the moves themselves that all come together to create a multilayered set that anyone could enjoy playing as... I know I'd probably end up whiffing the cage and need to use the BAir -> Up Special -> NAir chain more often than I should. Good stuff.

The cage itself is one thing I'm not entirely clear on yet... that is, one incredibly specific thing in particular. If you're standing on top of it, can you press down to fall through? Not into the cage itself, but just into the fore/background? Or do you need to detour by jumping off of the side to maneuver your way in front? For that matter, could you use a Dark Thwomp as an elevator to carry you up higher and then jump up to that level or-- I'm just rambling now. [/comment]

I'll be reading Dionysus soon, so expect a comment on that.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Weezing

So Smady’s second moveset of the contest comes from one of his signature avatar Pokemon. Interesting. Right off the bat I’ll merely touch on this, yeah, the writing style is a bit cluttered and overly wordy. You’ve been told that before so no need to harp on it further, just expressing my opinion on that particular issue.

Moving right along…I genuinely enjoy the different levels of gas and their different effects and such…but what I really enjoy here is the explosive chain reaction they’re used for. It reminds me rather of Dr. Strangelove but simplified…mind you that’s hardly a bad thing considering Strangelove was a very unique and enjoyable set in its own rights. That in mind, it’s only suiting that Weezing spread his fumes simply by existing so it really does take a unique twist on a trapish character, what with him naturally setting up his traps to his liking simply by moving about.

Lesse…what else…? The organization is, as always for your set, fairly simple yet tasteful and well done. I also believe Warlord said something along the lines of being surprised that with all the similar attacks they all have unique uses and to that, I agree most certainly. Granted you DID make a moveset for Weezing who really doesn’t do much else than emit fumes and throw its body weight around but you did do it in a fun and unique way for each move. I’m terribly sorry I don’t have much to add as I’m commenting this moveset a fair bit late, but I certainly agree with the positives said previously. It’s a tad bit of a mouthful to take in at once but it’s certainly a good set; great to see that!

The Sniper

Now, I’m not a huge Team Fortress guy (except for those hilarious G-Mod videos) but it seems kind of weird to me that The Sniper has to keep his opponents away while his rifle charges. Granted that is the essential basis of his playstyle (as The Sniper being anything but a camper would be horribly out of character) but it still seems a tad off if that makes sense. You’ve already heard the complaints about the Down Special so I won’t bore you with those again (as I agree that that and the Neutral Special could/should be fused). Another thing I at least somewhat question is why Jarate is supposed to be all that helpful. I mean, aside from the obvious knockback/damage boosts, you suggest…that the opponent would be dissuaded from approaching The Sniper…but if you’re a good distance from him, you’re EXACTLY where he wants you to be (and most likely has the advantage).

With those negatives aside though, you’ve certainly got some nice move interactions here. I especially like the idea of pinning the opponent down to finish them off with a well-placed shot. The back throw was another fun example of your move interactions working in a fun way. Also totally off topic but…about the down throw, as funny as it is…I’ve heard from female friends that it still hurts pretty **** badly :p

But yeah, you’ve got a pretty solid moveset here complaints aside. Particularly impressive considering your last set was Slaking way back in the day…although not THAT surprising considering Slaking was pretty **** good himself, especially for a beginner (it’s also why we thought you were Rool ;P)

BB Hood

Ah, I love me some MvC2, I love me some Darkstalkers and I certainly love me some BB Hood. So we go from a projectile camper to an in-your-face projectile *****, interesting indeed. So right off the bat I notice she has a ton of her trademark moves; her uzi, mines, exploding apples, fire bottle…yeah, this is BB Hood alright. So she’s a fairly aggressive projectile user which is a contrast to most of the projectile users we see here but she does it fairly well.

But I must say…mega kudos to you for making the jump from MYM4 to MYM8 without missing much. BB Hood is a very great effort from a MYM who’s been gone for such a long period of time. One thing you may want to skip out on in your next set however is stuff like IASA frames and all that…I personally don’t even know what those are X_x Also, the overuse of ________ & _________ was a tad bit annoying personally…but that’s just a minor naming complaint.
Great job though either way, a very, very impressive return to MYM (at least it is to me).

Arcanine

Ah, the one surviving bit of the ill-fated Blue (up until now). One thing I always planned on mentioning while the set was still going on was how broken I feared Howl would be, especially since he could just swap out to a powerhouse like Rhydon and bulldozer the foe. But…Arcanine is now solo and the buff is much, much appreciated. Like others (including yourself) have said, the balance is thrown fairly out of wack due to the fact that Arcanine was meant to have more powerful partners backing him up. As it stands though, it seems rather OoC to for Arcanine to be so weak. I mean, sure he’s good at damage racking and all that but…2.5/10 for a burning dog of his size?

I do however love the running grab, it fits the playstyle of constantly moving nicely and suits Arcanine quite well. Like Kupa (and unlike Warlord) I do see signs of flow in the set (although they may be a tad choppy due once again to this being part of a joint originally). You describe the flow perfectly well in your opening playstyle paragraph; make the stage an inferno then drag your foe through it. Reminds me a fair bit of Houndoom really. What’s a real shame though are the throws; you have such a cool grab and then fairly bleh throws (three of which share the same attack).

Overall though, it’s certainly a good effort, nay, a great effort. You were one of the only ones who did the required work on their part of Blue and it paid off. Now let’s see if the other half finished parts of Blue will show up in the thread…if not, the Moveset Graveyard is always taking applications!

Salamence

First off, let me say I’m honored to be in the opening of this moveset (although I am a tad confused as to why HR randomly had a picture of me but…I digress).

Onto the set itself though! I find it a tad strange that a Dragon Pokemon has to essentially “Hulk up” in order to use his actual dragon based moves. It’s certainly a fun and unique mechanic kinda deal (especially with how damage/other moves help reduce the time it takes to enter Hulk Mode) but I can’t help but wonder why Salamence can’t use stuff like Ember or Draco Meteor until he’s angry.

Moving right along…the moveset looks great except for one minor little bother. The moves that are altered by Steel Wing are presented in gray…but the moves that are changed by Twister are also in a very similar color. It’s a minor thing, yeah but I thought I’d at least mention it. The aerial game is, as everyone (or at least I believe everyone) has said is quite awesome but like Warlord said, you talk an awful lot about Salamence playing defensively. Why does Salamence WANT to play defensively when he’s more or less about his awesome aerial game/Outrage? Eh, just seems weird.

Overall…I can’t really say this is the strongest set I’ve seen out of either of you. He has his goals and they’re explained fairly well…but at the same time he seems to almost contradict himself in his playstyle. Maybe that’s just me (it’s probably just me) but I feel Axel and Octillery (lolwillcommentsoon) are quite a good deal above ‘Mence.

Solar Man

Holy ancient sets I haven’t commented yet Batman! Solar Man is indeed the oldest moveset I have yet to comment…so let’s get this one commented shall we? First off, you tend to go off on random tangents quite a bit. While that’s fine and dandy in the chat and all (and I’m guilty of doing this sometimes too in my sets) it seems kind of awkward in Solar Man. For instance, you start discussing Drifblim in your Neutral Special despite it really having nothing to do with Drifblim at all. While random little humor bits like this can fit in sometimes, it makes Solar Man a bit blocky to read through. Let’s use the Side Special as an example; you discuss Pokemon and then Halo before eventually getting into the move. It’s not huge but it’s a tad distracting and fairly frequent.

Another thing I find a tad bit weird is that, unless I somehow missed it (I read the set a while ago and briefly reread it just for this comment), you don’t include Solar Man’s head tilting which is one of his two moves in game. Considering how limited the Robot Masters are attack wise I figured you’d jump to use this move.

I really hate to be another one to add to the “I’m not a fan” pile but…I’m not entirely a fan of this set. While I don’t think it’s outright horrible like some others do, it’s very vague in parts leaving a lot of the details up to the reader to decide. I wasn’t really supportive of this approach with caterpie (sorry Rool!) and I’m not a huge fan here. To me there’s certainly a difference between leaving a move up to interpretation and telling the user to put the move together on their own; one creates versatility, the other creates confusion.

While I was going to post these in place of a Recap, I decided bumping the thread up with a little activity would be more beneficial...plus I figured that Kupa wouldn't mind considering he's had the page for a few days now :p

With that in mind, I do still need to comment Dionysus, Jack Spicer and...Octillery! Expect those for Sunday. Many apologies for making FF wait so long as well >.>
:015:

Koppakirby

Smash Cadet
This is a 2-Day set

Dunsparce

Dunsparce is the land snake Pokémon, and hails from the 2nd Generation of Pokémon. Dunsparce has wings, but rarely flies. Actually, Dunsparce burrow underground to escape predators. Because Wild Pokémon totally hunt each other. I mean, can’t we see that in the games some time? That would be cool. Anyway, Dunsparce is normal type, and his nature of hide and seek influences his playstyle in the adaptation into Smash Brothers.​

Stats:
Size-Kirby tall, Wario wide
Weight-4/10
Walk-2/10
Run-4/10
First Jump-3/10
Second Jump-6/10
Hover-Yes
Traction-8/10
Priority-6/10

Special Attacks:

Down Special-Dig
Dunsparce shoves his face into the ground, and begins to dig a hole in the ground. In .6 seconds, he has a little hole that only he can enter by pressing a button that will be specified later. Any opponent near Dunsparce at the time of the strike will be buried underground like they would from a pitfall trap and take 6% damage. The priority on the dig is a good ways above average, and the hitbox is also quite large.

Anyway, the real force behind the attack is the movement power behind it. This attack allows Dunsparce to move from hole to hole in about .2 seconds. Dunsparce can have up to 4 holes on a stage at one time. After that the first hole he created will be replaced by the most recent, and take on that hole’s assignment. Each hole has a button that allows you to warp to it when next to a hole. The first hole created will have the Standard attack button, the second the special attack button, the third has any taunt, and the fourth has the grab. When next to a hole, press the button to go to the hole that corresponds to the button you pressed, except for the hole you are trying to go through. Opponents and teammates alike can’t go through these holes. Holes that somehow pass the KO boundaries vanish.

Neutral Special-Slow Dart
Dunsparce reels its head backwards, then fires a small poison dart the size of the leaf on a Pikmin, which travels the distance of 3 Bowsers at Pikachu’s run before vanishing. This dart will take .14 seconds to execute, and both the firing and the dart have low priority. The dart itself has a htibox slightly bigger than it is. Anyway, upon contact with an opponent, the dart will deal 5% damage and flinch the opponent, but the real meat of this attack is that it prevents the opponent from running/rolling/dodging/or second jumping for 3 seconds. This allows Dunsparce to get all up in the opponent’s face. The poison is preventing the opponent from running away, or at least, quickly running away. Dunsparce is slow, so preventing the opponent from escaping him is critical! This attack can also be used to slow heavy-hitting opponents that wish to KO Dunsparce.

Side Special-String Shot
Dunsparce fires a white sticky substance from his ‘mouth’, which sprays out a Bowser and a half’s width in front of him, encasing any opponent in radius, preventing them from moving. The spraying has medium priority, and lasts .4 seconds. This move keeps the opponent still so Dunsparce can hit them and rack up damage. The string shot keeps the opponent from moving and attacking. The bind will normally last 5 seconds, but every time to opponent hits the standard attack button, they damage the shot and .4 seconds are taken off the time they are bound. However, string shot can be reapplied to restart the time, but it can’t add onto the initial time.

Up Special-Pound
Dunsparce jumps into the air the height of Luigi, then spins quickly around at a 360 degree angle, and slams down onto the floor a Bowser in front of him if he lands on the same level. This attack can be used as a recovery, but it’s also one of Dunsparce’s main methods of KO. The jumping takes .1 seconds, the spins takes .08, and the slam takes .15 seconds. The jump has low priority, but the rest of the attack has pretty high priority. The slam has a hitbox only slightly smaller than Dunsparce himself. Anyway, the slam deals a full 14% damage, and KOs somewhere around 85%, thanks to the high knockback.

Standards:
Jab-Skull Bash
Dunsparce flings his head forward the distance of the width of a Red Pikmin multiplied by two. This attack flinches the opponent, and deals 4% damage with little knockback. The strike takes .16 seconds to execute, has medium-high priority and doesn’t seem like much on the outside, because it is not comboable. But in reality, you automatically go into this attack upon coming out of the dash attack, so you can quickly flinch the opponent and then can get out a quick Slow Dart or String Shot.

Dash Attack-Agility
Dunsparce suddenly lurches forward, and flies forward the width of Two Bowsers, at the speed of Captain Falcon’s run. The attack deals 3% damage, with medium knockback that doesn’t kill, but pushes the opponent in front of where the attack will land, as the attack immediately changes into the Jab; Skull Bash. The lurching at the beginning of the attack takes .1 seconds, but has high priority. The rest of the attack’s priority is rather low, however.

Forward Tilt-Scratch
Look, another generic attack! That’s what you get when you do a set for a character like Dunsparce, right? Anyway, Dunsparce spins around, and slashes forward the width of Mario with his tail, then spins back around. The attack does take quite a lot of time to execute the attack, a full .8 seconds! But the attack does have a lot of priority, plus it’s also a defensive type attack. This attack is a spacer, as weird as it may sound. This attack knocks the opponent away with medium-high knockback, and medium-high hitstun to match. Dunsparce isn’t great at evasion, so he has attacks like String Shot, Slow Dart, and this.

Up Tilt/Smash-Pin Missile
Dunsparce points his head upwards slightly, and fires a pin from his mouth, several depending on charge. These pin/s are fired at a 70 degree angle, each one being a big as a leaf on a Pikmin, hitboxes being just as big as the leaf. These pins will land about a Bowser and a half away, and travel at Sonic’s walking speed. Please remember that they arc. Each pin deals 5% damage, and with it brings light flinching knockback and hitstun. The pin firing process takes .12 seconds, although .03 are added for each pin. You see, a full charge for this one lets Dunsparce fire 5 pins, instead of one. Depending on the charge, the number of pins fired changes. So there is no real smash, just an odd tilt.

Down Tilt-Tail Whip
Dunsparce spins around a couple of times, whipping around his drill-like tail. This attack will hit multiple times, from 2-4. The hitbox is Dunsparce’s tail, but all of Dunsparce gains medium-priority protection. Each hit deals 4% damage with flinching hitstun/knockback. This attack takes around .3 finish with 3 whips, subtract .1 for 2, and add .1 for 3. This attack is really good for damage racking on a string-shotted opponent. This attack is pretty good if you need to flinch an opponent who is about to come out of String Shot.

Smashes:
Forward Smash-Frustration
This attack is quite the damage racker, and it can KO! As an extra effect, it deals more damage to the opponent if Dunsparce’s percentage is higher than the opponent’s. Anyway, Dunsparce lifts his body up a full on tackles the opponent, then finishing off with a body slam. The tackle deals 6%, and flinches the opponent. The body slam deals 8%, and does medium-high knockback that KOs in the 120s, so it’s not worth trying to get the percentage that high. Or is it worth it? The move takes .55 seconds to execute, but both strikes count as a separate attack. If Dunsparce’s percentage is higher than the opponent’s, an extra 3% damage is added onto both moves, and the second attack gets extra knockback. Now it KOs around the 90s!

Down Smash-Double Edge
Dunsparce stabs himself with his own tail, but also causes a short ranged little quake-type attack around him, only slightly bigger in size and hitbox than Dunsparce. The quake deals 7% damage, and knocks the opponent a distance away from Dunsparce, also dishing out medium-high knockback. But it also deals 9% damage to Dunsparce, fueling Dunsparce’s Forward smash. The stab-quake has .18 as its execution time, but has low priority.

Grab and Throws:
Grab-Roost
Dunsparce crawls on top of the string-shotted opponent. Assuming they were string shotted, of course. Dunsparce can’t roost on top of an opponent who isn’t under the influence of string shot. Dunsparce has to be within a Mario’s width a string-shotted opponent to use this. These grabs and throws are mainly damage rackers. The grab takes .4 seconds, and has medium priority.

Pummel-Leech Life
Dunsparce sinks his teeth into the top of the cocoon of string, and sucks out 5% HP, dealing the same amount of damage to the opponent within the cocoon. This attack takes .13 seconds, and has weak priority.

Forward Throw-Strength
For the record, this is a normal type move. Anyway, Dunsparce slides down the side of the cocoon, and then bashes the cocoon with all his might, destroying it and sending them opponent flying with heavy knockback that KOs around 90%. The attack has surprisingly little priority, deals 10% damage, and is .37 seconds long. It’s a longer attack. But it can KO.

Back Throw-Drill Tail
Here’s a move that doesn’t exist in the actual game. Dunsparce thrusts his tail into the cocoon, shattering it and stunning the opponent within. This attack isn’t a chaingrab because it stuns Dunsparce as well, and for.1 seconds more than it does the opponent; .5 seconds. Why would you want the opponent to get up before you? Well, you should hope you put a hole in the direction where they’re running, as this attack automatically drills a new hole, and you can pop up right in front of the opponent to corner them again. The drilling deals 7% damage.

Down/Up Throw-Reapply
Dunsparce fires a line of string shot over the opponent, bringing them back to 5 seconds of encasement, then bounces off the cocoon of string and lands back onto the ground. This is essentially a chain grab; as Dunsparce keeps the opponent stuck and lands right back next to the opponent. However, the attack can’t be used 5 times in one stock, because of the cheapness. This attack lasts .3 seconds, and has medium priority, and manages to stun the opponent even within the string. The attack deals 5% damage. The difference between using the Up throw as opposed to the down for this is that the attack throws Dunsparce up into the air, and into a hover.

Aerials:
Neutral Aerial-Astonish
Dunsparce unleashes a yell, causing a small sound wave to extend around him and startle opponents caught within it, causing them to flinch. This deals flinching knockback and hitstun to anyone caught within, and has very little priority although once the sound wave appears, it stays for its .3 seconds as normal. The yelling process takes .8 seconds, and the sound’s hitbox is about 2.5 times the size of Jigglypuff from Dunsparce’s mouth.

Up Aerial-Flutter
You won’t be using pound a lot as an attack, so you would use it as a recovery. But it’s not a very good one, now is it? You’ll have to use this aerial to gain some extra height and such. Dunsparce will flap his wings, and ascend Meta Knight’s height upwards, and then begin to fall once again. This attack isn’t an attack, because afterwards you are meant to use pound, so as such it deals no more damage. This ‘attack’ takes about .3 seconds, and it has medium priority.

Down/Back Aerial-Gyro Ball
Dunsparce spins around and around. Wheee. This attack is meant to be used right before landing on the ground because he’ll rack damage on an opponent below, and space them as well. Dunsparce will spin for 3-6 times depending on the distance from ground, each spin having multiple hitboxes and dealing 2% damage. Each spin takes .13 seconds, and the final strike will always have medium knockback coupled with it. However, it doesn’t stun very much, if at all. The back aerial version of this attack, sends him flying backwards, but he still spins as he does, although if the opponent has a high percentage, or is rather light, the first hit may knockback AND KO them at around 90%.

Forward Aerial-Dive
What? I’m not running out of ideas. Anyway, Dunsparce will sharply fly into the ground directly underneath him, and crash into it. Well, if it is within a Bowser downwards of him, anyway. Dunsparce will deal 7% damage and medium-high knockback that KOs around 150%, but that’s not why this attack is useful. If Dunsparce crashes into a hole, he’ll go inside and pop out of the nearest hole, fly upward Luigi’s height, and go straight into a hover. It’s another transportation move, so that you can use your aerials on a fleeing opponent quickly. This attack can also be used as a Meteor Smash, but Dunsparce will go into helpless if you miss.

Final Smash-Trump Card
In Pokemon games, Trump Card deals more damage the less PP the move has. In this game, this move deals more damage the more Holes you’ve created. Before I explain the details of the move itself, here’s the damage chart:
No Holes: 10% Flinch
1 Hole: 15% Very Light Knockback
2 Holes: 20% Light Knockback
3 Holes: 25% Medium Knockback
4 Holes: 30% High Knockback that KOs around 90%
More than 4: 90%, Extreme Knockback that KOs around 30%

Dunsparce shrieks and raises up onto its tail, and a white sphere with an Ace on it twice the size of a Smart Bomb explosion encases him, and stays there for 7 seconds. During this time, Dunsparce can move around, and the sphere follows him. So this Sphere can be rammed into opponents, and on lower hole numbers, can damage rack. The hitbox is as large as the sphere itself, and the summoning animation takes .2 seconds, the animation for dispatching it being the same as well. So, the point of this Final Smash is to have lots of holes, but sense Dunsparce isn’t Doppelori, it’s not playstyle relevant.

Playstyle

It’s time to finish up this 2-Day set. Dunsparce is sheepish and cowardly. So that’s exactly how he plays. He gets beaten senseless when an opponent comes after him, so he must escape! Here is how he must escape, and then what he must do afterwards.

When the match first starts, it’s important to set up as many holes as possible. But make sure they’re far away from each other, as warping to close by holes to escape isn’t that smart. You can get some distance using the dash attack, or the up aerial in conjunction with the up special. Also, remember that Dunsparce can hover like Peach, although the height he does it at isn’t quite as out-of-reach. Now that you have lots of holes, you can escape through them, and then appear behind the opponent, ready to strike. If you’re on the move, then use the forward aerial to dive into the hole.

It’s time to strike! Hit the opponent with a slow dart, and then attack with the dash attack, in conjunction with the jab. They’re weak! Now hit them with String Shot! Now you’re free to go all out. To substitute the Dash+Jab, if you’re flying, the Neutral Aerial is good for stunning them, as is Gyro Ball. Hit them with a fully charged Pin Missile, then a Tail Whip, as they’ll just be coming out of String Shot. Now you can hit them again.

You know, keeping your damage low isn’t everything. Perhaps use Double Edge next to the cocoon, to deal some extra damage to yourself. Because you can KO with Frustration if your percentage is higher. And then, when the opponent is KOed, on their next stock you can string shot them, roost atop them, and suck their HP dry; reapplying when needed! And then you can use strength to KO them there!

Swamped by opponents? Try using scratch to clear them away. Double-Edge also does a nice job of this, so you may want to use that. That way it also helps your Frustration. Finally Drill Tail an okay amount of damage, and then you can corner the opponent for reapplication of String Shot, or something else.

In conclusion, Dunsparce is any other coward. He can’t fight if approached, but is absolutely VICIOUS if he is able to get a sneak attack. Thank you, and goodnight.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
^Hey and welcome to the thread! You can find a full list of every moveset made in this contest and previous ones -HERE-.

You're more than welcome to make a character who's already been made though so long as they're different enough!

Dunsparce

Alrighty! KK saves the Recap with a two-day Pokeset! Cheers man!

So let's dig right into Dunsparce shall we? First off, Dig is a pretty cool move. I like how you can go to each hole by using a different input near it but...at the same time I wonder about realism; with so many holes about, it seems like it'd be easy to accidentally dive into one while trying to get an attack off (twss). That aside though, it's still pretty cool. As a another random little note; I thought Dunsparce dug into the ground backwards using his tail? It'd be pretty cool if say...Dunsparce could dig halfway into the ground then use his Side Special to take potshots at opponents and then dig all the way under and appear in another hole when the opponent approached. It'd still play along with Dunsparce's cowardly nature but it'd be a cool little interaction.

DISREGARD THAT PART ABOUT MISSING AN UP SMASH. It's a bit of a shame though that it's the Up Tilt -AND- Up Smash though IMO.

Pokmon Syndrome is a bit apparent here IMO. My theory is that it's probably best to give the move a unique name than to give it a Pokemon attack name and have Pokemon Syndrome called on it. Agility, Frustration, Gyro Ball and Strength spring to mind. Granted that's not -TOO- terribly bad as Dunsparce is infamous for having a crappy movepool IIRC.

My goodness, aren't I a little pit of negativity. Sorry about that, just getting the negatives out of the way first. I do actually find Dunsparce to be a good set from you KK despite how I may have sounded (goodness that must sound hypocritical). I do love the whole hit and run while escaping into holes aspect which is, of course, his main tie and his main deal in the actual games. It's also your best organized set to date. It's simple but it works well (especially without random pictures thrown in).

All in all, I'd say this is one of your better efforts KK! It's got the ideas, it's got the execution and it's got the fun. Ace job here ;)
:016:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
After reading some of the other ones, I'm afraid my first set will be pretty suckish compared to theirs, but when I post it I hope that is not the case...

Agi

Smash Lord
Today's Comments Brought to you by the Letter "D"

Dionysus

It's pronounced "Die-oh-nye-sus", for those who don't know. That's a bit clunky to type, though, so I'll just call him D-Man for the sake of this comment. Anyway, let's see what Kupa's latest grab-intensive set brings to the fray.

Now, let me just say that I love the character of D-Man. A god of WINE? Really, wine? That's seriously one of the most awesome concepts I've heard of in a long time. Move over, Zeus! Granted, I really wish that you'd played off of that aspect... you know, the wine/drunkenness aspect... a bit more than you did. The vineyard, while fine and dandy, doesn't instill that theme as much as I'd like it to... he may as well just be a god of vines for all the majority of the set matters.

And the vines? Urgh, the vines. As much as I love the idea of an infinitely long grab, (the main reason I used Samus in Melee was for her extended grab "glitch,") I feel the way you chose to go with it was incredibly overpowered. I confronted you in the chat about the grab/release chaingrab thing, and you basically said that there was nothing stopping the D-Man from doing that other than that it wouldn't be "fun". It really wouldn't be that hard to introduce an element to make the vines break after being used, say, three times in a row on the same character? Just like even Sakurai realized the potential for planking with the tether grabs and made them fail after a few uses. For that matter, I'm not entirely certain why the grapes will only make the foe drunk if they're force-fed them... wine's gonna mess your mind up whether you're pouring it down your own throat or someone else is doing the work for you.

As a whole, I did like the set. It has a few balance problems which can easily be fixed, but the core concept is very solid. It's nice to see these multiplayer-focused sets popping up recently.​

Dunsparce

And then we have Dunsparce. I... I can't say I was a big fan of him. Let's get some of the positive stuff out first, to soften the following paragraphs.

Now, you do seem to know your source material a fair bit. Dunsparce, when he's actually USED in competitive play, is notorious for his Serene Grace abuse to just hold his opponent in place with flinching for... forever, really. It's an incredible pain to fight against a lucky Dunsparce... which is something that this set exemplifies.

String Shot. That's really all I can say about Dunsparce's balance. A move with a disjointed hitbox, fair range, that holds an opponent in place for FIVE seconds? Okay, you mentioned something about being able to button mash out, but... man, it's really poorly worded. Either this move is incredibly broken due to the time it holds the foe in or incredibly worthless due to how easy it is to break out. This, if nothing else, NEEDS to be clarified.

That said, there's plenty else that could use clarification. Dunsparce is frought with incredibly confusing wording, poor grammar, and redundancy, to name a few. Let's take a look at this example, copied directly from the FThrow, Strength.

Anyway, Dunsparce slides down the side of the cocoon, and then bashes the cocoon with all his might, destroying it and sending them opponent flying with heavy knockback that KOs around 90%. The attack has surprisingly little priority, deals 10% damage, and is .37 seconds long. It’s a longer attack. But it can KO.

The typo in there of "them" instead of "the" is the least of my concerns. This is a poor example of the other thing I was going to point out, but your use of the word "attack" really becomes repetitive, especially when you use it multiple times in the same sentence. (In the... Jab, I believe?) The main thing I needed to point out here is how you say that it KOs at 90%... and then feel the need to tell us that it KOs in the last sentence again. Yes, I know that this is a two-day set, but a pre-read would save a lot of hassle... as would investing in some more BBCode for your organization. Size changes, especially.

I could probably complain for a bit more, but I'll try to wrap it up with Dig. I love the concept of Dig. While I feel the execution was a bit choppy, (pressing the grab/standard/special/taunt button to enter the pit seems unnecessarily clunky and confusing, potentially hazardous if you're actually trying to fight,) and while I feel you could have done a bit more with what you did, seeing you bring the move back in the FAir was an incredibly welcome interaction that completely justified Dunsparce using DIVE of all things.

So... wow, that came off a bit more negatively than I'd hoped... erm... here's a picture of a kitten. Isn't it cute? =D​

I really, really appreciate what you did, though. Making a two-day set just to prevent us from having a setless week was a good save... even if it was a step down from Burst Man. (wary)

cutter

Smash Champion
BB Hood

Ah, I love me some MvC2, I love me some Darkstalkers and I certainly love me some BB Hood. So we go from a projectile camper to an in-your-face projectile *****, interesting indeed. So right off the bat I notice she has a ton of her trademark moves; her uzi, mines, exploding apples, fire bottle…yeah, this is BB Hood alright. So she’s a fairly aggressive projectile user which is a contrast to most of the projectile users we see here but she does it fairly well.

But I must say…mega kudos to you for making the jump from MYM4 to MYM8 without missing much. BB Hood is a very great effort from a MYM who’s been gone for such a long period of time. One thing you may want to skip out on in your next set however is stuff like IASA frames and all that…I personally don’t even know what those are X_x Also, the overuse of ________ & _________ was a tad bit annoying personally…but that’s just a minor naming complaint.
Great job though either way, a very, very impressive return to MYM (at least it is to me).
I'm really happy that people saw what I was trying to accomplish in portraying B.B. Hood's playstyle of an aggressive projectile user. Too often I see movesets where the playstyle of a character is to camp with projectiles; just in different patterns of projectiles and names if you get what I'm saying. She is hands down my favorite character in MvC2 even if she does suck. Since MvC2 is a game where offense dominates by about a mile or two, that's where the inspiration of an "aggressive camper" came up.

IASA frames are short for "Interruptible as soon as" frames. In Smash, some moves have the ability to have you cancel an attack during a small time frame, which lets you end the attack faster than it normally does. You can see this in Ganondorf's Usmash in Brawl; if you keep spamming Usmashes, you'll see Ganondorf have his foot go from kicking upright all the way back to instantly being back in the startup animation for the next Usmash. With B.B. Hood's IASA frames on her projectiles (mainly Side B and Down B), she is able to keep pounding out projectiles in different ways to keep up the pressure on an opponent. This is an aspect meant to put emphasis on B.B. Hood's overall playstyle, in addition to her above average mobility to let her maneuver around for optimal projectile pressure.

As for the ___________ & __________ names for a lot of the attacks, I was trying to go for the "official" names of the attacks. I was going off of memory and scouring around to try to find what her attacks are really called. I thought I got as close as I could in terms of attack names, so take that from what you will.

Overall, I'm glad to be back from the large hiatus I had, and now that it's summer, I should be able to have some new movesets coming down the pipe in the future!

And I REEEEEEEALY want B.B. Hood in MvC3! :3

:)

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Ah, many thanks for the little terminology lesson, now that I know what IASA frames are it really makes a lot more sense xD I kept getting a tad lost whenever that would pop up in the set.

Glad to hear you're excited about making more movesets; can't wait to see who else you come up with. And kudos to you for playing the MvC2 team you want to play instead of going for the typical Magneto/Sentinel/Storm team D: My team personally is Jill/M.Bison/Morrigan (aka: Low tier, low tier and low tier) but that's neither here nor there in this current discussion xD (Just a random MT factoid I suppose :p)

Dunno why but I'm in a surprisngly good mood now. Going to go sleep
or play Dead Space.

EDIT
After reading some of the other ones, I'm afraid my first set will be pretty suckish compared to theirs, but when I post it I hope that is not the case...
No worries, nobody will be comparing your set to any others in the contest so you have no need to worry about it being "suckish." I'm certain it won't be though; our sets can be a tad bit...intimidating, but we encourage newcomers to take it at their own speed and have fun with it!

And now I'm off to bed
or to play Dead Space
:018:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I want this kitty. NAO.

At Hyper Ridley's Comment regarding Knuckles that I can't be bothered quoting: Hmmm, I decided to look this up. There is a Knuckles moveset in MYM3. It looks pretty good for a playable standard
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5202394&postcount=1486

Pretty cool stuff. :)

Anyway, I saw Duspance. I too believe that he is forgotten material. You are a hero to Make Your Move for getting this out.

Wait, ONLY Duspance can enter dat hole? What if some other Ground-Typed dude wanted to enter the hole and they had Dig as one of their Specials? lol, that would be cool. Dig Overlap (Am I the only one who has thought of that?). Anyway, Dig is funky, but you already heard that from Agi, cus I looked at his comment and thought that I should look at Dig too since it was appealing. It appeals to me as well.

On the other hand, I like idea of chargeable U-tilt in the place of Smashes. Good way to edge through a 1 day pokeset, methinks (Im not referring to you or trying to offend you in any way, mind you. Just think it's a good idea).

thunder999

Smash Rookie
In dunsparce's final smash it mentions more than 4 holes, but in dig's description it says more than 4 holes, how does that work.

Koppakirby

Smash Cadet
In dunsparce's final smash it mentions more than 4 holes, but in dig's description it says more than 4 holes, how does that work.
Dunsparce can have more than 4 holes, but the first hole he created would be destroyed. Also, new page for whoever wants it.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman

Krystal

STATS:

Weight:A little more than ZSS
Height:A little higher than Fox
Strength: 6/10: Decent
Speed: 7/10: Above Average
Range: 5/10: Average

NOTES:

Krystal is a the definition of “Easy to learn, Difficult to master.” Her weapon, a golden staff with a gem in the tip, is filled with magical energy called Mana. Over time, this Mana builds(similar to Wario's fart) and can be used in different ways. The meter is one bar above her percentage, that builds at the rate of 2 per second. The first bar fills at 20, and the other three fill at 40, 60, and 80 respectively. 10 seconds = one bar for short. The more Mana she has, the more powerful her attacks will be. As well, her attacks can also sometimes be boosted by pressing A at certain moments, making them more powerful with the use of Mana Crystals. Timing is key in Krystal's attacks.

I know the question's coming. "When does she ever use mana in Adventures?" Well, she doesn't. But Fox does. He uses Mana in the staff for fireballs and rocket shots, et cetera. If Fox, who just grabbed the staff can do those, it stands to reason that Krystal could do so much more.

ATTACKS

A-A-A Combo
1st Hit
A simple swipe downwards with her staff. She grips her staff at the midsection and near the top, about a foot from the tip. She then swings it down in an arc in front of her. As she swings, there is a larger, but significantly less powerful hitbox behind her, as her staff rises. It's a small arc behind her head.
Forward Hitbox: 4%
Behind Hitbox: 2%

2nd Hit
A swipe upwards, basically the opposite animation of her 1st hit. However, this has a bit more knockback, and hits them upwards rather than forwards like the first hit. The hitbox in front of her is longer, because she slides her hands down on the staff, to gain more force behind the swing.
Damage: 5%

3rd Hit
Quickly, she grips the staff by the midsection and whirls around in a circle, taking a step forward as she does so. The hitbox extends long and in front of her, in a style similar to Marth's neutral special. This knocks them further back than the others, and is more powerful as well. The hitbox is approximately 1 ½ of her body length forward. Pressing A at the tip of the swing gives a more powerful swing, and much more knockback.
On A press: 8%

Tilts
Up Tilt
Krystal grips her staff at the middle, and swings in an arc upwards. Can be compared to Lucario's Up Tilt. It has a sweetspot at the very apex of the swing. At that moment, it will do an extra 2% than it normally does. It is a disjointed hitbox, as all of her staff attacks are. It extends maybe 2 feet or so above her head.
Damage: 9%
Sweetspot: 11%

Forward Tilt
Krystal stabs her staff in the ground, and then jumps, gripping it, and doing a missile kick forwards, while gripping her staff. She then returns to her position, pulling it out of the ground. Very simple kick move, yet effective. If A is pressed right before the kick, she whirls around the staff like a pole, and gains more momentum before performing an even stronger kick.
Damage: 10%
Whirl Kick: 14%

Down Tilt
Crouching low to the ground, Krystal braces herself with her hands and performs a sweeping kick forward, with a 5% chance to trip the opponent. If it does trip, it is an added 1% of damage. The range is about the same as ZSS' Dtilt.
Damage If Tripped: 11%

Dash Attack
While running, which Krystal does rather fast, Krystal performs a Running swipe to the side with half of her staff. This is a very quick attack, and gives her decent Horizontal range. If A is pressed during the cooldown time, she performs a flipping kick upwards.
Flip Kick: 12%

SMASHES:
Up Smash
Krystal raises her staff upwards fast and hard, and expels a small explosion of magical energy(think of Zelda's Uair). This is DEFINITELY a Kill move at 60% or above. It takes 5 Mana from her meter when uncharged. If she has no Mana at all, she simply jabs it upwards sharply. At full charge, it will take 15 Mana. A very strong attack. If you press A at the tip of the swing, it will expend no mana at all.
No Charge: 16%
No Charge w/ Explosion: 18%
Full Charge:24%
Full Charge w/ Explosion: 26%

Forward Smash
Krystal hoists her staff over her head, and swings in a very wide arc, forward. Think of Ike or Link's Fsmash. At the very end of the swing, as it hits the ground, there's a sweetspot. This, when fully charged, can almost guarantee a kill. This attack consumes no Mana.
No Charge: 14%
Full Charge: 20%

Down Smash:
Krystal stabs her staff into the ground at an angle in front of her, and begins charging. At the end of the charge, she swipes upwards very hard. A similar motion to the second hit of her Jab combo, but with more range, and a stronger swipe. Again, consumes no Mana.
No Charge: 15%
Full Charge: 22%

AERIALS
Neutral Air
Krystal got a sexkick, mang. She kicks in the air, and the hitbox stays out. The longer it stays out, the weaker it gets. Takes no mana to use, basic attack.
At Startup: 12%

Up Air
Krystal raies her staff horisontally, and spins it above her. It is a multi-hit attack, in full, it hits 8 times, for 2 damage. Similar to Pit's in a way. The main difference, however, is that this actually gives Krystal some vertical height when she uses it. Obviously not enough to keep being used over and over, but enough to make give her just a few feet of height.
8 consecutive hits: 2 Damage each.

Forward Air
Krystal front-flips forward into a vary strong kick downwards. The very heel of her foot is a sweetspot, and a meteor smash. It has decent range, and it's a very reliable attack off of the edge. Main use would be to attempt a gimp or to get a quick kill early on. Pressing A in the middle of the flip will cause her to flip a second time in midair, making the kick even stronger. However, the second kick has a longer startup time.
Damage: 13%
Sweetspot:17%
Second kick: 20%

Back Air
Quickly, Krystal turns around and extends her staff, in a sweeping motion sideways. It uses the full range of her staff, so it's quite large of a hitbox. A direct sweeping line. Very good as a kill move. Somewhat of a slow startup, but the hit in itself is rather fast. Pressing A before she swings it will result in a longer ranged sweep, and a much more reliable kill move.
Damage: 14%
A Swing: 18%

Down Air
Jabbing her staff downwards, Krystal goes into a free fall, charging Mana along the way down. Takes 2 seconds to charge fully. Pushing A again releases the charge, in an attacking hitbox that blows her upwards. Similar to Link's, but with an explosion of mana at the end. If A is not pressed, it's just a normal attack.
No Charge: 11%
No Charge Explosion:17%
Full Charge Explosion: 23%

GRABS
Standard Grab
Krystal reaches out in front of her, and extends her staff with it, curving it with her in a scythe-like motion. Short range on it.

Up Throw
Krystal holds them above her head and smacks them with the staff overhead. Knocks them upwards. 11%

Forward Throw
She turns around and gives them a back kick. A more powerful throw, sends them forwards at an upwards angle.
12%

Back throw
She pushes the Staff into them, and swings them over her head, crashing into the ground behind her. Knocks them backwards at an up angle.
10%

Down Throw
She throws them to the ground, whips around, and smacks them upside the head with the back end of the staff. Pressing A right after the hit with the staff will bring her heel crashing into their face. Knocks them forwards.
First Hit: 9%
Second hit:5%

Pummel
A high knee to the gut. Rather fast.
4%

SPECIALS

Neutral – Flame Blast
Krystal begins charging a blast of flame In front of her. After 5 seconds, this blast is fully charged. Upon using a Mana consuming attack, however, it disappates. Meaning that it is gone. So if you charge it, and then use her Up Smash, it dissipates, and you lose the charge on it. It goes about 1/3 the length of FD with no charge, but goes about 2/3 of FD with full charge. Consmes 20 Mana upon full charge. 10 Mana without full charge.

Up – Rocket Boost
Krystal points her staff downwards and begins charging Mana into the tip. She can charge this the same way that diddy can. However, she cannot curve it. She will go in a straight line in any given direction, as indicated by the direction of the analog stick. If used on the ground, She causes an explosion of Mana against the ground. In Air, it costs 5 Mana to use. If someone is hit by the explosion while in the air, they are spiked downwards.
(In Air)
Upon Contact – No Charge: 5%
Upon contact – Full Charge: 8%
At Base of Explosion – No Charge: 12%
At Base of Explosion – Full Charge: 15%
(On Ground)
No Charge: 10%
Full Charge: 20%

SIDE – Mana Pierce
Krystal rears back and thrusts forward fiiercely. In itself, this is the attack. However, if the B button is pressed at the tip of the stab, She unleashes an explosion of mana in front of her. In the air, this causes her to be pushed backwards. This explosion is large. Very large. It also has decent priority. Consumes 25 Mana. Cannot be charged. Very high kill potential.
On Staff: 15%
Explosion: 24%

Down – Light of the Krazoa
Krystal gets on her knees and raises the staff upwards. A dome of light surrounds her. This attack, in itself, is basically charging mana, increasing the rate to 10/second. 8 seconds in LOTK is a full 4 bars. In addition, it takes 2 seconds to start up. That's 120 frames. The first 20 Frames is a Fox-style shine attack. Frames 21-80 have reflecting properties. The charging begins on frame 60. From frame 80-on, she is not protected.
First Hitbox: 6%

FINAL SMASH: CALL OF THE KRAZOA
Krystal shouts in the dinosaur language. Translated, it says “Come, my friend! I need your help once more!” A large Pterodactyl flies down, and Krystal boards it. She then flies to the front of the screen. Krystal is given a pointer on the screen. When the A button is pressed, the Pterodactyl spews a fireball from its mouth, and it hits wherever that pointed hits. It has less power than Snake's grenades from his launcher, but has more spammability. Each fireball does about 8 Damage.

TAUNTS
UP:
She places her staff in the ground and grunts loudly, then chuckles, as if plotting something.
SIDE:
She whips her staff around a few times before ending in a fighting stance. Then, she says “Come on, if you dare.”
DOWN:
She places her hands behind her back idly and takes a few steps forward, very slowly, humming a small tune.

STAGE
Saurian Jungle Ruins
The stage is played on the ruins of an old Saurian civilization. The inhabitants, a bunch of really small dinosaurs, watch on as you fight. Occasionally, a T-Rex will come in and roar loudly, scaring them away. This roar creates wind to either side of the stage. The stage is a little smalled than Smashville, with 3 Platforms. Two on the sides, up high, and one in the middle, lower down.

That is the basic design for the stage.

Wow, that took a while.

Agi

Smash Lord
Krystal

Unless I'm forgetting someone, you're the first newcomer to post a set this contest... cutter and Centigrade just barely missing the cut. So... you're basically setting the bar here, Hongo.
Hongo or Niho?

Let's start commenting before I start rambling. Krystal suffers from a few textbook problems that can be remedied just as easily as they can be explained. The most obvious one... in fact, one you can see without even reading the set... is your organization. Take a look at... well, any set in the contest, really, and you'll notice a few common traits: multiple colors (a wall of blue text is no easier to read than a wall of white text), a slightly different order in the introduction (if you'd put a big ol' name at the top just to make sure everyone knows who this blue vixen is, then move the stats right after the backstory, I wouldn't have any complaints there), and a layout featuring the Special attacks first. That last bit warrants an explanation... you see, oftentimes in our movesets, Special moves have uses beyond their obvious purposes, and need to be referenced again later on in the set. Granted, apart from LOTK, Krystal's specials fall into the "use 'em and forget 'em" category, so it's not a huge deal. Also... and I only mention this because it's prevalent throughout much of the set... there's a fair number of misspellings that could easily be remedied.
Also, centering an entire moveset is rarely a good idea.

Onto some of MYM's more nebulous concepts. While I do feel you did a good job explaining each and every one of the Standards (Neutral A, Tilts, and Dash Attack are typically all placed under this title), detail became a lot fuzzier as the set progressed. For example, you state that the FSmash, when fully charged, is almost a guaranteed kill. You should really slap a KO % in there somewhere or Krystal is going to seem an overpowered beast. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single move in anyone's arsenal that's truly a guaranteed KO. Maybe a 9 on G&W's Judge, but that's more based on luck. If you really want that power in there, I'd make the move kill at around... say, 50%?
The NAir, as well, could use some elaboration. For a description as simple as "she kicks in the air," surely there's a comparable move somewhere in Brawl. There are many different ways we could interpret a kick, even a sex kick. Sheik's NAir is about what I'm envisioning right now, but without more detail, I could be way, way off.

Now, Krystal did have some good ideas in her. The Mana mechanic, while it has been used before, is a good sign from a newcomer, and spices up what would otherwise be a fairly boring set of kicks and staff swings. That said, you brought me into the set with promise of timed hits, moves which had another layer to them if you pressed the button at the right time. What happened to that? I can only remember one instance of it in the entire set, and that was in the Side Special. I dunno, I just wish you'd done more with it. Moves like the DAir and UAir with their funky secondary effects gave the set a bit of life... I just wish I hadn't needed to read halfway through the set to get to the fun stuff.​

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Krystal

First off, thank you thank you THANK YOU for not making Krystal into a Fox clone and actually using what makes her unique.

Anyways, the mana mechanic is a textbook resource mechanic but it was used well for the most part. I prefer my ammo/fuel/mana stuff to not intrude into the entire set so I appreciate it being used sparingly. I think it could have been used a bit more, it was only in the specials and 2 A moves. I would have liked to see a throw take advantage of it somehow.

As Agidus said, there are some cases where I would have liked to see some more detail. For me it was Flame Blast that confused the heck out of me. It dissipates? Meaning, it loses the charge, or its fired when Krystal uses a mana attack? You didn't tell me how much damage it does either, lol. I would also highly advise against centering the entire set, it tends to look more distracting than flashy. Good job on actually stating the range of moves and whatnot, you won't believe how so many newcomers can even forget those xD

Dair taking 3 seconds to charge up...unless she has a Peach float, there's no way she'll even get to half-charge or so before she either hits the ground or falls into a pit. Might wanna cut down the charge time by a lot (and nerf the power to compensate).

The biggest piece of advice I can give you, IMO, is to really elaborate on your movesets' playstyles. I can decipher one for Krystal based around careful zoning and powerful punishing abilites against enemies with poor spacing, which is pretty cool, but it tends to be more fun for the reader when you tell us how you envision the character working and what makes them stand out from the rest of the cast. And besides that, I tend to find sets more fun to MAKE when you can formulate attacks that synergise with and compliment each other. :bee:

Good luck with Bass :3

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice...I'll change it up a bit. I got some changes I could make.

EDIT: Okay, made my changes. And Agidius, just call me what you want. I would prefer Hongo, if i had to choose. I should change my name, people seem to have trouble pronouncing it.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
I feel awful for not commenting - or even posting - for weeks, considering how slow the thread has been. Well, here I am, and I'm not going to do catch-up, but I will give my thoughts on a pair of random sets. :bee:

And way to go, everybody - the only big commenter not to rip off my nice new hidden commenting system was Warlord. :urg:

Bob-omb: I have to say, I really admire the concept here; in fact, on concept alone, it's one of most creative sets I've seen in a while. You're really pushing on some new boundaries here, and that's strictly a good thing.

But reading the set over, one gets the feeling that you didn't have quite enough enthusiasm for it; that deadpan delivery of 101 ways to manipulate your fuse is a major put-off to a reader. A few of these ideas are nice and should have been emphasized, while others are probably useless in practice - and a few more plain ol' Melee attacks would have done nicely. Melee attacks, maybe, that worked toward keeping the foe near Bob-omb for the eventual explosion...

Scarmiglione: You don't need me to tell you, Shadow, but Scarmiglione is a nightmare to read; your writing style would be fine for something deliberately factual, but a moveset is at its best when it feels personal, and this is just suffocating all the way through. Very hard to concentrate on, let me tell you.

But that's not really important - what is works really well. The use of the poison gas and the zombie affliction are both very dynamic and allow for a very intuitive set. The more defensive, camper-ish aspects of the set wear a bit thin before the set's up, but the way you geared the self-damaging side to complete itself is very clever; you didn't rely (too much) on boring, predictable attacks that just go "this also deals X% to himself", and opted for a much more dynamic and natural approach. I still figure Houndoom for your best, but this is a very good set, no doubt.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Wow, two sets so close together. Alright, I had nothing better to do today, so here's Knuckles!

Knuckles The Echidna

Height: A few inches shorter than Sonic.
Weight: Heavier than Sonic, but less than Fox.
Range: Very Close Range.
Speed: About Wolf's Run.
Jump Height: Less than Sonic's by a small margin.

Notes: Knuckles is very heavily a close-range brawler. His only projectile acts as a shield as well. He can Wall Jump, Wall Cling, and Wall Climb. Knuckles is a Brawler and a Grappler, with several normal attacks being grabs as well. He was known in the earlier games and comics to be a trickster. This also factors into his playstyle. He is meant to be unpredictable, and full of surprises.

A-A Combo
1st hit:
Knuckles gives a left elbow jab forwards. Very short range. Good opener.

2nd hit:
A very strong followup punch. Very fast, very strong. Will only come out if the first hit lands.
Damage: 11%

Tilts
Up Tilt:
Knuckles jumps up into the air about 2-3 feet, and punches downwards. If done near the edge on a recovering opponent, it is a spike. Slow startup time, but the hit is powerful. If done on a standing opponent, it will knock them into the ground like DK's Side Special. However, when they come out of the ground, they are invulnerable for a second so that they can't be hit down in the ground again.
Damage: 10%

Side Tilt:
Knuckles dashes forward a few feet, about one body length, and punches upwards (think Falcon's side B) to knock them upwards. Again, slow startup, but great results. If shielded, it pushes him back slightly. During the jump, Knuckles gains Super Armor for a few frames.
Damage: 11%

Down Tilt:
Crouching, Knuckles Punches straight forward, attacking the enemy's legs(or in some cases, face :p). will randomly decide whether or not to trip the opponent. Slight flame aftereffect on hit. Very useful attack. Very fast, can get put out really quick.
Damage: 8%

Dash Attack:
Knuckles' Dash attack is a grab. He leaps and tackles his opponent to the ground. Once on the ground, he pummels them with 4 punches. As a grab, it cannot be shielded. Each punch does about 4%. Then, they're released. Very good for an approach. With good timing, he can be hit out of it, or even re-grabbed if someone has a tether.
Damage: 4 Hits for 4%. Cannot break free once grabbed.
Glide Attack:
While Gliding, if A is pressed, Knuckles will Slam Dunk his opponent. It is not a meteor smash. Slow startup, but good damage. High priority.
Damage: 6%

Aerials
Neutral Aerial
Knuckles gets into a ball, fists outstretched, and spins. Multi-hit attack, hits about 5 times total for about 3% each. Each hit links to another, but can be DIed individually. Can be canceled with an Airdodge, or another attack. That's right, he can attack out of it. Has a lot of landing lag, however.
Damage: 5 hits for 3% each. 15% total.

Up Aerial
Knuckles gains just a slight bit of Aerial height, and reaches upwards. This is a grab as well. He can snatch an opponent right out of the air. He then says “Oh no you don't!” and Punches them down to the ground. It is a meteor, and the fall auto-cancels after about a 90 frames. Its main use is as a gimp, and a followup to his Neutral Aerial. Good for a surprise attack. If they hit the ground, it's an added 4%. Sends Knuckles into freefall.
On Grab: 8%
If They Hit the ground, 12% total.

Forward Aerial
Knuckles does an overhead punch similar to Ganon's Forward Aerial. The difference is the flame aftereffect, and the fact that it has a sweetspot on Knuckles' left fist, when he's swinging with his right. At the left fist sweetspot, it is a meteor, while the right fist is simply an overhead attack to send them away. Very good surprise attack with surprisingly fast startup.
Damage: 12%
On Sweetspot: 6%

Backwards Aerial
Knuckles stops in mid-air and curls into a ball. Then, he does nothing. If he's hit during this time, he comes out of the ball and grabs them. After he grabs them, the player an either keep them in the grab, or kick them away. If he is hit by a non-energy projectile, he grabs it and throws it back. In either instance, he will say “Take That!” He throws the projectile at the same angle that it hit him.
Counters with the same damage he was hit with. Projectiles become his own.

Downwards Aerial
Knuckles backs up slightly, and begins a slightly faster descent. If he comes into contact with anyone during this descent, he kicks them forwards, and screams “Outta my way!” He hits the ground, and has a good deal of landing lag. It can be shielded, and is not a grab. Once he hits someone, he bounces up and goes into freefall.
On hit: 10%

Smash Attacks
Up Smash
Knuckles crouches, and begins charging. When A is released, Knuckles jumps into the air in an uppercut. It has three separate hitboxes. One at the beginning of the jump. This is the strongest of them. One in mid-jump, this is the longest, and the second strongest. This one also has a flame aftereffect. The third is at the tip of the uppercut, and is the weakest. However, this one has the most knockback. Only the first and second can link into each other.
(No Charge)
1st Hitbox: 17%
2nd Hitbox: 15%
3rd Hitbox: 12%
(Full Charge)
1st Hitbox: 22%
2nd Hitbox: 20%
3rd Hitbox: 17%

Side Smash
Knuckles crouches and gets into a sprinting position. When A is released, or it's done charging, Knuckles dives into a headbutt forwards. At no charge, the attack goes about one body length away. At full charge, it goes the distance of two Bowsers. It has lots of ending lag after the initial attack, so if it misses, you're very vulnerable. But if it hits, they're knocked too far away to punish you, unless they have a decent-speed projectile.
No Charge: 16%
Full Charge: 21%

Down Smash
Knuckles crouches down, and begins charging. When released, Knuckles jumps up and comes back down, pounding the ground. It creates wind to push enemies away, and as well, rocks come from either side of him. Each rock is weak, but has significant knockback. A large downtime after he lands, but anyone within range of the attack won't be able to respond very fast. A very good GTFO move.
No Charge on Hit: 15%
Full Charge on Hit: 21%
No Charge Rocks: 2%
Full Charge Rocks: 4%

Throws:
Grab
Knuckles reaches forward with his right arm. He holds the person up by their(Chest if they've got one, face otherwise.) and holds them in the air. (Think playground bully.) Good range. The hitbox extends slightly in front of him.

Pummel
A straight, hard punch to the gut/face(again, depending on their body) with his left fist. Slow, but strong.
5%

Up Throw:
Knuckles grunts and throws them upwards, but not before uppercutting them strongly.
10%

Forward Throw:
Knuckles Jumps forward and pounds them into the ground roughly, before jumping off of them with a kick.
9%

Back Throw:
Whirling around twice, Knuckles lets them go flying. As they fly back, he'll say "See ya later!"
7%

Down Throw:
Knuckles slams them downwards and punches them twice before hopping backwards, leaving them laying, similar to snake's Down Throw.
7%

SPECIALS

Neutral Special – Wind-up Fist
Knuckles begins winding up a punch. This takes a short time, about 4 seconds for a full charge on that. Then, he can run around, and it will still be charged. He can release it at any time. Using it in midair will not send him into free-fall. However, if B is held AFTER the 4 seconds, he will begin winding up his OTHER arm. This one takes 5 seconds to charge fully. Once they're both charged, you can run around and keep the charge. It cannot be knocked out of you. When B is pressed again, Knuckles will release both punches. Both of the punches have kill potential above 50-60%. If he's interrupted, he will stop and lose his charge.
1st Punch: 19%
2nd Punch: 24%

Upwards Special – Flame Uppercut
Knuckles jumps into the air, spiraling, with flames traveling around him. It gives him 1 ½ the reach of Wario's Up B. It is multi-hit, with each hit doing about 2 damage. At the very tip of the uppercut, however, he grabs the opponent(if he hits them) and throws them downwards. This throw has mediocre priority, and only occurs on a sweetspot on Knuckles' face. Stay out of the center of the spiral, and you'll be fine.
6 Hits for 2% each.
On Grab: 9%

Side Special – Boulder Toss
Knuckles Punches the ground, and a boulder comes from the ground. He then grabs the boulder and tosses it. The boulder can take up to 15 damage, before breaking in a style similar to Charizard's Rock Smash. The boulder is more of a shield than anything else, but if it hits you, you're in for some pain. The boulder can travel 1/3 the distance of FD. If used in the air, Knuckles grabs an opponent and throws them forwards.
Base of Punch: 10%
Boulder Impact: 26%
Boulder Explosion: 4 Small rocks of 3% each.

Down Special – Shovel Claw/Drill Dive
This move does different things depending on where you are. If you are in the air, Knuckles begins spiraling downwards, claws outstretched. During this descent, he will carry someone with him if he runs into them mid-dive. When he hits the ground, they get stuck, and he digs into it. When he comes back up, he will sometimes(if items are turned on) bring an item with him. It would be a randomly chosen item. Could be an explosive, could be a healing item, it could be whatever. If you're on the ground and you use it, you are able to stay in the ground for about 5 seconds. Then you can pop up in a big uppercut. An item will come out during this time as well. If you use it on a platform that you can fall through, you will drop down and do a surprise attack on someone below you, if anyone is below you. If not, you'll just dig into the ground underneath.
On Impact: 2%
Smash to the ground: 6%
Pop Up: 7%
Sneak Attack: 5%

FINAL SMASH: SWICH OF DOOM
Knuckles' beatboxing theme from Sonic 3 plays. A Switch appears in the center of the stage. Knuckles runs up, laughs, and jumps on it. Laughing, bombs begin to fall from the top of the stage. Knuckles is invicible during this time, and laughs as everyone is blown up. The bombs fall at about the same rate as they do in Sudden Death.

Taunts
Up:
Performs three quick grabs before saying “Come on!”
Side:
Cracks his knuckles, and says “Whenever you're ready.”
Down:
Laughs in place, arms crossed.

Snake Codec
Snake: Whoa, those hands are huge!
Otacon: Snake, that's Knuckles! He's the chief rival of Sonic! Where he lacks in speed and brains, he makes up in pure strength!
Snake: I wonder how hard it is to shop for gloves?
Otacon: Here's a hint, Try to fool him! His biggest weakness is that he is really naïve! Try confusing him!
Snake: Those spikes on his hands look dangerous.
Otacon: Watch out for those, Snake. Don't get “Spiked!” *nerd laugh*
Snake:...Over and out.

Stage: Mystic Ruins
A large stage. Got 2 pillars, similar to Shadow Moses Island. 2 long platforms that move opposite each other.

Other Colors:

(Sorry if it's small...)

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Knuckles is missing throws, pretty ironic considering he's a grab-based character xD.

What is there is nice and an improvement over Krystal. The attacks are interesting and make good use of Knuckle's abilities. Bair as a counter-grab was the highlight of the set for me, and I also liked all the different hitboxes Knuckles's attacks can have in a single move. Nice simple and functional playstyle.

Organization is getting better, but I would suggest not using standard blue with regular size text, it can be hard to read. I use Royal Blue myself. You also might wanna make the section headers standout from the rest of the set with a size change ;).

You also get biased bonus points from me for including so many moving attacks. I inexplicably have a thing for those kinds of attacks :chuckle:

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Knuckles is missing throws, pretty ironic considering he's a grab-based character xD.

What is there is nice and an improvement over Krystal. The attacks are interesting and make good use of Knuckle's abilities. Bair as a counter-grab was the highlight of the set for me, and I also liked all the different hitboxes Knuckles's attacks can have in a single move. Nice simple and functional playstyle.

Organization is getting better, but I would suggest not using standard blue with regular size text, it can be hard to read. I use Royal Blue myself. You also might wanna make the section headers standout from the rest of the set with a size change ;).

You also get biased bonus points from me for including so many moving attacks. I inexplicably have a thing for those kinds of attacks :chuckle:
*realizes now that he forgot throws*
*headdesk*

Will fix.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Wow, I've missed quite a bit. Sorry for not posting sooner, guys, I totally forgot you guys moved to General Brawl Discussion...:ohwell: I'll post a set or two by the time this is done, though. And hopefully, they'll be better received...
Planned Sets:
Dark Samus remake n88 2004 did a better job on DS then I could ever do...
Kraid
General Guy
Crystal King
Doopliss

Might not do all 4, but those are the 4 I'm choosing from. Well, I might do all 4, I have nothing better to do :laugh:

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Glad to see you found us again darksamus! It's always good to see a returning face ;P

I'm very much so looking forward to both General Guy and Kraid...will you be doing full sized Kraid or "Mini-Kraid" from the original Metroid? Seems like he'd be a smidge too big normally but maybe that's just me xD

As for Krystal and Knuckles, HR and agi have pretty much covered any advice I could give at this point. Sorry I can't be more helpful but...Gosh, HR and agi just had to go and be so helpful before I could even give it a shot. Not cool guys, not cool!
:019:

n88

Smash Lord
Dark Samus remake n88 2004 did a better job on DS then I could ever do...
Don't worry too much. My Dark Samus was far from perfect. In fact, I've even considered remaking my own version, perhaps a bit closer to the end of the contest. If you really wanna give Dark Samus another shot, then you should go ahead with it. But even if you don't end up doing Dark Samus, I still look forward to your other sets.

Also, nice to see we've got another newcomer in Nihongo-ookami! Like MT said, agi and HR snuck in and gave you just about all the useful advice they could, without leaving much for the rest of us. However, I might recommend sticking to a theme with your organization. The way you've changed up the colors does make the set easier to read, but it also seems odd to see colors like green, blue, and pink in a moveset for Knuckles. There's a plethora of movesets with excellent organization, but I'm just going to link you to this one, because it's recent and easy to find a link to. Dionysus doesn't have particularly outstanding organization, but it's still very good, as it's easy to read and changes up the colors between headers, attack names, and descriptions while keeping to an overall theme that fits the character. Hope to see more from you in the future! Active members are always welcome. (If I just linked you to something that made you go :confused: :dizzy: or :scared:, then feel free to ignore my advice. I don't want to scare you away from making movesets.)

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Glad to see you found us again darksamus! It's always good to see a returning face ;P

I'm very much so looking forward to both General Guy and Kraid...will you be doing full sized Kraid or "Mini-Kraid" from the original Metroid? Seems like he'd be a smidge too big normally but maybe that's just me xD

As for Krystal and Knuckles, HR and agi have pretty much covered any advice I could give at this point. Sorry I can't be more helpful but...Gosh, HR and agi just had to go and be so helpful before I could even give it a shot. Not cool guys, not cool!
Well, I was thinking a moveset of full-sized Kraid, but perhaps he'd appear in-game around Samus' height (that's about how tall mini-Kraid is...) I hope I don't disappoint...

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
Hm... I might make a set or two for this contest, considering I've been reading through all the other MYM topics for awhile. Yup, I'ma waste my summer vacation making movesets. :p

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Well, I was thinking a moveset of full-sized Kraid, but perhaps he'd appear in-game around Samus' height (that's about how tall mini-Kraid is...) I hope I don't disappoint...
Well don't let me stop ya :p We've had movesets for full sized Onix so size isn't an issue here; whatever you're up to making go for it ^_^

Hm... I might make a set or two for this contest, considering I've been reading through all the other MYM topics for awhile. Yup, I'ma waste my summer vacation making movesets. :p
I could think of no better way to spend your summer dood ;P

EDIT: Whoops, new page for anyone who wants to nab it.
:020:

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
Good to see you again, Darksamus!

I know I'm reeeaaaaly behind on comments. I've been distracted with writing fanfiction lately. But like Rool, I'm not going to do catch-up. I'll just comment on a few of my favorites.

SALAMENCE

I LOVE SALAMENCE!!! Seriously, I knew I was in for something special after seeing the epic intro. You are on a moveset-making roll, JOE! :)

This moveset has taught me a lot about flow and how it works. Nearly every single move interacted with one or two others, and in really creative ways. Outrage turning a little fire ball into a freaking DRACO METEOR, for example.

Even the attacks that don't interact are still awesome. Aerial Ace making a wind slash that makes foes afraid to come near Salamence? Consider me impressed.

All in all, Salamence may be one of my favorite movesets. Period. In the words of Captain Falcon:

EMPOLEON

Most of my thoughts on Empoleon are a lot like the ones on Salamence. There are a lot of moves that interact with others well. My favorite would have to be Whirlpool, because it has so many different uses. Gimping? Check. Freezing? Check. One-hit KO? Check.

My main complaint is the amount of text. Seeing huge walls of words makes a moveset very tedious to read, which sometimes takes the fun out of it. This is an issue with most of MW's sets, too.

Other than that, I think I'm going to give Empoleon a vote. Good work, Sundance!

DARK BOWSER

I really see that you like this character, Warlord. Dark Bowser is the first time I've seen not just two, but THREE movesets in one. But since I'm lazy, I'm just going to review the first part of the moveset. Sorry.

DB has the best grab game I've ever seen. It literally cages in opponents while DB creates a thwomp to crush them. He also has a lot of other unique moves. There's a recovery that doesn't leave DB helpless if he exits out, a minion orgy-ball that creates a miniature army for DB, and many more.

Dark Bowser is another Warlordian masterpiece, and is definitely going to be somewhere in the top 50.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Hmmmm. Me not posting in the thread is a sure-fire way to clarify my non-existence.

Nihongo-ookami's done a funky job posting his 2 movesets for the competition. Don't worry friend, I haven't ignored your work. (Krystal's stage looks like a smiley face. That made my day).

Im posting here most importantly to preserve post here for this girl:

The set is almost, ALMOST complete. I just have a few throws left to clarify and that's it. It also has some extras that are done in a light as FUN AND EDUCATIONAL as I could get, which includes a BOSS FIGHT. :mad:

EDIT: never mind. I'll post it later on.

john!

Smash Hero
An elderly restaurateur approaches the arena...

Colonel Sanders

has joined the fight!

Harland David Sanders is the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken, and the originator of the legendary KFC Secret Recipe, which has been imitated worldwide, yet never truly matched. In one hand, he holds his signature cane, which conceals a blade and can be used as a weapon. In his other hand, he carries a KFC 10 Piece Bucket, which can hold ten chicken drumsticks. He also carries eggs in his suit, which he can use to hatch chickens for a number of purposes.

Vital Statistics

Size: Slightly large

Sanders has Ganondorf's stature, but is a bit shorter, being an old man. His movement also closely resembles that of Ganondorf.

Walk Speed: Somewhat slow

Sanders strolls along at a leisurely pace, like the Southern gentleman that he is. He uses his cane to help him walk.

Run Speed: Quite slow

Sanders huffs his way across the stage, frantically using his cane to increase his speed slightly. Sanders can't run for more than two seconds at a time; if you reach this limit, he stops for a bit, coughing and wheezing. His old back can't handle this kind of strain!

Jump Height: Short

Sanders' first and second jumps do not go very high. With a small grunt, he heaves himself up into the air, then hops again for his second jump.

Weight: Heavy

Sanders is no pushover. All those years of eating chicken have made him somewhat plump. He's not quite as heavy as Bowser, but he's still got enough girth to keep him on stage for quite a while.

Fall Speed: Fast

Sanders falls somewhat fast. He is quite heavy, after all. However, his fast falling speed combined with his short hop can allow him to execute some nasty and delicious combos.

Special Attacks

Neutral B (empty-handed): Egg Pluck
Sanders pulls out an egg from his suit, inspecting it with a trained eye. This egg
can be used as an item projectile. Once it is thrown or dropped, it splats and is gone forever. Sanders can only use this move if he is empty-handed. If he is carrying one of his three specialized items, then his Neutral B special does something different. Read on...

Neutral B (with egg in hand): Egg Hatch

Sanders makes a small hill of dirt on the ground, then places the egg on top to incubate. The egg takes five seconds on the ground to hatch into a chicken. During this time, the egg can be removed by Sanders or any other player, and used as a normal projectile, as detailed above.
If you step on an egg while it is incubating, it splats and makes you trip.

When the chicken emerges from its egg, it begins to cluck around the stage. It will occasionally peck at random passersby, doing a bit of damage, but for the most part it minds its own business. Sometimes they will flutter onto platforms, or back onto the stage if they walk off the edge.

Chickens can be killed with a single strong hit, like most enemies in Brawl. They can also be picked up as an item. When a player is holding a chicken, it can help them glide downwards at a slower rate, like Cuckoos do in some Zelda games. They can be thrown, but if they hit an opponent, they will simply stun them without doing any damage. After being thrown, the chicken will get up and continue on its way.

Here is the most interesting part about chickens: they hatch eggs of their own. Every once in a while, a chicken will lay an egg. Like Sanders' eggs, the chicken's eggs hatch into chickens after 5 seconds, and can be destroyed or used as a projectile.

Neutral B (with chicken in hand): Original Recipe

If Colonel Sanders picks up any chicken, hatched by him or an opponent, he can cook it and create his famous Original Recipe Chicken. Whipping out his pressure fryer from thin air (much like Wario whips out his bike), he throws the chicken inside. Moments later, he opens up the fryer and collects three fresh fried chicken drumsticks.

These drumsticks go into a bucket which Sanders carries around with him. This is a 10 Piece Bucket, which means that Sanders can only carry ten drumsticks at a time. He starts the battle with a full bucket. The color of the bucket begins to fade darker as you run out of chicken. When you have no chicken, the bucket is much darker, almost black.

If Colonel Sanders gets hit with a strong attack and is sent flying, his hands will slip, and a drumstick will fall out of his bucket. He also loses a drumstick when he trips. If he is KO'd, he loses three drumsticks. These drumsticks fly out of his bucket and onto the stage. They can be used as a projectile by any character. Sanders also has another use for them, which is explained below...

Neutral B (with drumstick in hand): Finger-Lickin' Good

Sanders consumes the drumstick that he is holding, licking his fingers contently when he is done. This gradually heals 5 damage over the course of several seconds. If he is hit or otherwise interrupted during the animation, he drops the drumstick, which disappears. Note that Sanders needs to be holding a drumstick to use this move, not just have one in his bucket. His next special allows him to do this...

Down B: Bucket Pluck

Sanders reaches into his 10 Piece Bucket and takes out a drumstick. This drumstick can be used as both food (see above) and as an ordinary item projectile. If there are no drumsticks left in the bucket, Sanders looks curiously inside for a moment before shrugging his shoulders. His stomach growls angrily.

Side B: Cane Sword

The cane that Sanders carries around has a sword hidden inside! His side special attack will either unsheath the sword, or put the sheath back on, depending on the current state of the cane. With the normal cane, Sanders' standard attacks that use the cane do less damage and execute slower, but have higher stun and knockback. With the cane sword, it's the opposite: his standard attacks with the cane do more damage and are faster, but have less knockback and stun. This mean that it's ideal to use the sword when your opponent has low percent, and use the cane when they are at higher damage, to knock then off the stage.
The cane's sweetspot is near the hilt, but the sword's sweetspot is near the tip.

Up B: Poultry Flight

For this to work, there needs to be chickens roaming the stage. When the player presses up B, the chickens near Sanders rush to his aid. They grab onto his suit and hoist him up into the air, in roughly the same manner as Snake's Cypher. If there is only one chicken nearby, he can simply glide slowly downwards, as if he was holding onto the chicken himself. But as more and more chickens reach him and grab his suit, he begins to gain height more and more rapidly! Sadly, each chicken runs out of strength after two or three seconds, and flies back to the stage. If Sanders dies while a chicken is hanging onto his suit, the chicken dies with him.

Ground Attacks

Jab: Cane Thrust
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders jabs his cane at the opponent like a fencer. Hitting jab repeatedly allows Sanders to execute a quick flurry of thrusts. This is quite a good attack that can keep opponents easily at bay.

Dash Attack: Cane Lunge
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders lunges forward and stabs the opponent. This has a very long range, roughly as much as Dedede's forward tilt. It is powerful as well, but has significant lag time.

Forward Tilt: Cane Swipe
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders reaches and takes a swipe at his opponent using his cane. This has a slightly longer reach than his jab, but a bit more lag. The knockback is also very good for a tilt, especially without the sword.

Up Tilt: Cane Poke
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders pokes his cane upwards three times. The first two thrusts are weak, but the third is a bit more powerful. This move is a quick combo that can set up for an aerial attack or another combo.

Down Tilt: Cane Sweep
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders reaches down and sweeps his cane just above the ground. Not only is this fast with long range, but it also has a chance of tripping the enemy. It functions well as an edgeguarding move.

Forward Smash: Bucket Bash
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders raises his bucket above his head and sends it crashing down on whomever is unfortunate enough to be in front of him. Although this attack makes a drumstick fall out of the bucket, it can do massive amounts of damage and knockback, depending on how much chicken is in the bucket. An empty bucket is somewhat weak (think Marth's untippered sword) but a full bucket is lethal (a bit more powerful than Ike's forward smash).

Up Smash: Bucket Swing
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders heaves his bucket and swings it above his head. This move has the same properties as his forward smash: it becomes more powerful if there are more drumsticks in the bucket, and the animation is similar to Ike's up smash. This is an excellent vertical kill move with massive knockback.

Down Smash: Sanders Stomp
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders leaps forward a bit and stomps on the ground in front of him. Like DK's down special attack, this crates a small shockwave around Sanders which can damage foes. However, if Sanders lands right on top of an enemy, they suffer the full weight of his girth and take huge amounts of damage.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial: Fists of Fury
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders holds out his fists to the side, and spins around in midair. This is his fastest aerial attack, and lasts quite a while. It is also a sex kick.

Forward Aerial: Cane Swat
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders quickly swats his cane in front of him three times. This has low knockback, but can combo well into other moves due to its negligible lagtime.

Up Aerial: Harland's Headbutt
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders performs a quick headbutt that hits above him. This has poor range, and does not send the opponent far. But like his forward air, it can lead well into other moves.

Down Aerial: Kentucky Comet
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders curls up his legs, then hurtles downward at an incredible rate. Like his down smash, this causes a small shockwave when he hits the ground, and does huge damage to anyone that he lands on. However, it takes him a while to get off his butt after he lands. Using this attack offstage can spike the opponent, but will of course lead to your death if you miss.

Back Aerial: Cane Swing
Speed:
Damage:
Knockback:
Hitstun:

Sanders spins around in the air and swings his cane behind him. This is his longest ranged aerial attack, but it has quite a bit of startup lag. It is very powerful, however, and can be used as an aerial KO move.

Other Moves

Ledge Attack: Greasy Grapple

Sanders has greasy hands from eating all that chicken! He can only hold on to the ledge for a second or two before falling back off due to the grease. During his ledge attack, he struggles furiously in his attempt to clamber back onto the stage without slipping. His flailing arms and legs can strike the opponent several times, but have very little range.

Get-Up Attack: Greasy Get-Up

Sanders gets up from the ground, but his
greasy hands make him take a while. This is very similar to his ledge attack; during this time, his flailing limbs can hit opponents. After he finally gets back up on his feet, he straightens his tie and carries on with the battle.

Up Taunt: Product Promotion

Sanders holds his bucket up near his face, gives a wide grin, and proclaims "It's finger-lickin' good!" with exuberant charm.

Side Taunt: Cane Twirl

Sanders takes a short, leisurely stroll to the side, twirling his cane and whistling happily. He doesn't have a care in the world!

Down Taunt: Finger Lick

Sanders licks his fingers noisily, relishing all 11 herbs and spices that go into his secret chicken recipe. He lets out a refreshed "ahh!" after he's done.

Final Smash: Chicken Coop Catastrophe

Sanders raises his cane and bucket, and shouts triumphantly. The chickens are coming home to roost! A giant henhouse rises up in the middle of the stage, knocking back all opponents nearby. Feathers begin to fly everywhere, making the stage difficult to see. Suddenly, a storm of chickens bursts out of the coop! We're talking 20, maybe 30 chickens. They furiously peck at anybody in sight, and cannot be grabbed. This invasion of poultry continues for seven seconds, after which the chickens all return to normal, continuing to waddle around the stage and lay eggs. They can now be used as normal items by Sanders and his opponents.

Grabs & Throws

Grab: Southern Snatch

Sanders lunges forward and attempts to grab his opponent using the hook of his cane. This has decent range, and comes out quite fast too. After he hooks his victim, they are pulled helplessly into his grasp. From here, he can execute a number of throws that are rarely seen outside of professional wrestling.

Pummel: The Gentleman

Sanders knees his opponent while they are in his greasy clutches. His hands are so greasy, in fact, that opponents can mash out of his grabs more easily than any other character. So, although this attack does a decent amount of damage for a pummel, you will not have many chances to use it.

Forward Throw: Chokeslam

Sanders grabs his opponent by the neck, lifts them up, then crashes them down onto the floor. This does the most damage out of all his throws, but its knockback and lagtime do not make it useful for combos or KOs.

Up Throw:
Piledriver

Sanders turns his opponent on their head, and slams them down onto the ground. This has lots of vertical knockback, so it can be used as a KO move if the opponent has enough damage.

Down Throw: Dropkick

Sanders does a short jump, then impressively grabs the opponent with his legs in midair and twists them around, slamming them onto the ground. There is no knockback; the opponent is supine after this throw and must tech roll or get up (like Snake's down throw).

Back Throw: Suplex

Sanders lifts his opponent up, then dives backwards, slamming his opponent into the ground. This has a decent amount of knockback. If Sanders' back is near the edge of the stage, he can dive offstage and kill both players using this throw, much like Bowser and Ganondorf.

Custom Stage

KFC Kitchen

This is where the magic happens! Sanders got his start here as a lowly chef. But his knack for culinary innovation made him famous, and helped him live the American dream!

The KFC Kitchen is a rather small, cramped, and hectic stage. There are two counters, one on each side of the stage, that act as platforms. There is also a large heater in the center. When the buzzer near the heater goes off, it will heat up and slowly damage whomever happens to be standing in front of it. It then emits a food item, which any player can use.

The stage also includes a number of hazards. Chefs will occasionally scurry past, holding stacks of eggs. If you run into them, they will trip and send eggs flying into your face! Occasionally, a stray chicken will run across the stage, followed by a crazed knife-wielding butcher in hot pursuit. Don't get in this guy's path, or you'll get chopped up into tiny bits!

The ceiling for this stage is very low, and the sides are both walk-off edges. It is somewhat like Flat Zone: small, hectic, and easy to get damaged by. Always keep on your toes!

Playstyle

Sanders is a fun character to play, no doubt about it. He has a variety of projectiles, a disjointed hitbox, and has a respectable weight. Then again, so does Link, and he sucks. So what makes the Colonel a step above the rest? His adaptability.

You can play campy if you need to with Sanders. In fact, he may be the best camper in the game... with a healing move, a bunch of projectiles, and small chicken minions, who needs to approach? This might not work out too well, though, because Sanders is a big slow fellow who lacks agility.

So why not play Sanders aggressively? He has some great, fast attacks that combo nicely into each other. Sanders can punish hard once he lands a hit... the problem is landing that hit in the first place. His slowness can be a problem when approaching the opponent; coupled with his large size, it makes him a prime target for defensive, campy play from the opponent.

In the end, the best way to play Sanders is to control space. His variety of projectiles allows him to threaten the opponent from a long way away. He can even set up traps like Snake and Diddy, using the incubating eggs to cut off an opponent's room to move around. Stay defensive and aware, but always look for opportunities to move in and rack up damage. Stay close enough to prevent camping, but far enough so that you can react to their approach and not be overwhelmed by a fast, offensive character.

Sanders has the tools to deal with anything that comes his way. The only limit is the capabilities of the player to use his moveset to its fullest potential. You can never go wrong with the Colonel.

n88

Smash Lord
The Colonel (I compliment you on your character choice, by the way) is lookin' pretty cool for a newcomer set. A good chunk of the moves seem fairly random (Sword cane? :p), but I get the feeling that it was quite intentional, so I'm not gonna complain about it too much. My biggest harp with this set is the lack of damage percentages. It's a good idea to say how much damage a move does even if you're bad at deciding exactly how much damage would balance the move (Like I am). Five seconds also sounds like a pretty long time to wait for an egg to hatch, especially since they only need to be walked on to be stopped.

I don't have a whole lot to say about your organization, although generally speaking, most movesets include Grab+Throws prior to Situationals (Which, now that I think about it, are rarely included at all these days. Nice to see em here.) or Final Smashes.

Your Special Attacks are fairly creative, and the Up Special really helps strengthen Sanders' playstyle. Speaking of which, the playstyle, while not particularly focused, is more present than in most newcomer sets, which is nice. All in all, this turned out to be a fun read. I hope to see more from you in the future.

Top Bottom