• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 8: -TOP 50 POSTED-

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
THE COLONEL

I like this set, and not just for its character choice :chuckle:. The Colonel has some cool ideas with the eggs, chicken, and drumsticks. The whole process of putting an egg down, hatching it into a chicken, and then cooking the chicken into a drumstick is creative.

Now on to the bad. The cane sword is very random, and it just doesn't fit the character. And the cane doing less damage but more knockback than the sword is a little weird.

Another complaint is the organization. Final Smashes usually get their own header, and are after all of the moves. Taunts, victory poses, stages, and other things like that are called "Extras."

But complaints aside, this is a solid newcomer set. I look forward to your next moveset.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Colonel Sanders:

First of all, welcome to MYM! Always fun to have newcomers. Secondly, awesome character choice for your first moveset. Seriously! Mmm...KFC. It's been a while.

For a newcomer, you've got a good writing style; very clear, not too wordy, and even funny in some places (or maybe it's just the character...ah, whatever). I'll echo n88 and say that damage percentages do help in making the power of your moves more clear (it's better than that little star system you have going on). I'd also look around at some other movesets to get a better feel of how to organize the different categories of moves. It's a bit less jarring if you put things in the same order as everything else; that's an easy fix.

The good Colonel's special moves are pretty cool. Hatching eggs and messing around with chickens and chicken seems fun. The cane/sword combo is nifty (I'm not gonna comment on how 'out of character' that is, because within this context, it's not really). The standard moves (everything else) are mostly uninspired and predictable with the cane (though there are a few bright spots), and I hope that if you have any future sets planned, you're a bit more willing to think a little outside the box creativity-wise. Good use of alliteration, though. :)

Overall, great first set from you, john! (not related to JOE!, are you?), and I hope you continue to improve and bring us more funny movesets for bizarre characters! :bee:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
The Colonel

Best. Smash Bros newcomer. Ever.

This is seriously a great first set. The whole system of breeding chickens to cook for some KFC goodness sounds like fun to use and gave hima legitamate and coherant playstyle. I disagree with N88 and feel that the eggs taking 5 seconds to hatch was good, as they have trap uses before hatching and this gives them time to actually be used as such. As a ROB player I approve of the eggs and Drumsticks being used as thrown items, so I can throw them into the air like my Gyros :chuckle:

The cane-sword, while it would funny to see Colonel Sanders sword-dueling with Marth, I don't know if it added much to the set. He's not meant to be a melee master according to his playstyle description, so his somewhat slow cane strikes felt more in-line with his goal of manipulating the opponent into bad positions for him to easily land those hits.

The organization was pretty nifty, and while I generally prefer actual damage numbers the stars didn't feel too difficult to understand. I got the gist of how his moves worked from the stars and the descriptions themselves. I also love that you included ledge and rising attacks, I've been the only person who ever really wrote them for the longest time and even I don't bother with them much, so it was nice to see them again.

Stage is lulz. That is all.

So as I said, really solid effort. Should be interesting to see how you progress. :bee:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Colonel Sanders is officially my most favouritest set in the competition, and probably ever. When I first saw that you made a moveset for him, I loled, and continued doing so throughout the set.

Because of that, this moveset gets instant Super Vote from me.

For those who may question this act of mine, it shall be upheld with even more priase for this incredibly epic moveset. The set is SOOOOO easy to read.

The idea of greasy hands is somewhat ewww, but take no mind in my opinion, it's a pretty dam good idea = epic.

What's awesome about Colonel as well is that he's got projectiles like Link, but you take it a step further and make him better! I reckon playing as Colonel Sanders would be totally pro.

So yeah, this moveset is totally pro in my books. Im not joking around either. I truly truly like it. Excellent job here john!, I've got a good impression of you and look forward to what else you can bring up.

Agi

Smash Lord
I don't think the set is that great, Katapultar. It's a good first attempt, but it's not nearly top 50 material. I kind of hope you weren't really serious about this, because people are probably going to get mad at your comment.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's not a Top 50 set, D.
Sanders has a lot of great stuff going for him... in fact, while reading the Neutral Special, I was caught off guard by how much it resembled my own Hornet Man's Neutral Special... in a very, very good way. Good newcomer sets always atract more votes than they should... but I'd be genuinely happy if Sanders made it.

Although, you may want to be a bit more discreet with your voting plans in the future, Kat. =P

I'll post a longer comment on the Colonel once I get computer access, but I'll just say this right now: you should lower the time it takes to eat a drumstick. Nothing that takes several seconds will ever be pulled off. If you lower it to 3 or 4 seconds and let him walk around while eating, it'll be as close to balanced as possible, I think.

john!

Smash Hero
thanks for the comments guys, i know it's shorter than the average set, but i tried to be concise because some of the other movesets are loooong lol. i might improve on this one, or do a whole different one if i think of another idea. and thanks for your approval kata!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I don't think the set is that great, Katapultar. It's a good first attempt, but it's not nearly top 50 material. I kind of hope you weren't really serious about this, because people are probably going to get mad at your comment.
The comment wasn't a joke. Saying something like that on the internet to somebody and then saying it was a joke would be quite cruel. It's not like I don't understand that the stuff we say here can actually affect the person on the other side who reads it. As for me, it's MY OPINION of the set. Mine. Not a representation of anyone else here. Simply my own thoughts as a human of how this particular piece of work appeals to me. It's not designed to convince people to share the same view as me either. Such thing is non-existent.

I apologise if I was being a bit rough with my wording there. I know you weren't trying to cause any harm, just trying to warn me about how others will attack me for having a different opinion. I do not care bout that. They can't get me to drop down my opinion. It's my opinion. As is yours of Salamence, Empoleon and Dark Bowser.

Of course Im still going to be this way. Im usually appealed by the character, because everybody knows that making a moveset for a real life person is many times more epic than some random nintendo character.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Of course Im still going to be this way. Im usually appealed by the character, because everybody knows that making a moveset for a real life person is many times more epic than some random nintendo character.
No offense to my home-boi JOHN! for the following:

Ok then, why did you pay no attention to the Spartan again? Thats a set based off not only a real life person (not specific though), but off of a real-life fighter. It also happened to be probably the only set that was blatantly educational, as well as fun.

Second, why does making a set for a real-life person automatically mena it is better? Again, the Spartan received "meh" reviews (granted I was in a coma), while Octillery is considered a truly terrific set, and he's a **** octopus pokemon. Sure, a person in real life could be more limiting, but at the same time it could be horribly boring. Who would you rather read/expect a great set for? The kid down the street that bugs you, or Banjo-Kazooie, one of the greatest videogame characters ever, who are honestly more important than 90% of the people on earth as the duo is worth more, is more recognized and certainly more beloved?

Thats not to say your set is bad JOHN! I actually loved the whole thing , and found it hilarious how you gave these epic attributes such a pro wrestling grabd and a sword cane to the good ol' Colonel XD

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Okay, let's see here...

john!: It is an impressive set that fits into a rare "harvester" role in Smash, and the approach that puts all the really creative stuff in the specials and lets the standards be more like straightforward Sakurai attacks is a very good, very underused one. I'll agree with agi that you need to allow the healing to be either quicker or more pronounced - or probably both - because in five seconds of healing 5%, you're going to be dealt another 25%, making the attack about as useless as they get. I'd also suggest making some of his standards more directly linked to the chickens he might have walking around; if some of them could be used to, say, herd the chickens around the stage, make them lay eggs in a certain pattern or in certain places, or even just whack them at opponents, it'd work wonders for the man's playstyle, giving him many more ways to play and a more unpredictable approach.

The very best thing about this set, though, is how well-written it is. It doesn't bog down in trivial details, it doesn't repeat itself - it just unfolds in clear, precise terms. Good job - next step, organization-wise, is making the colouring of the set consistent throughout by making all the attack headers a certain colour, all the moveset headers another colour, all the body text another, and so on.

Kat: I'm not gonna argue with your judgement of the Colonel, but I am going to point out that opinions can and should be open to change. If you refuse to change your opinion no matter what, it's called being close-minded - you know?

JOE!: Dude, it's hilarious how you only post to complain about people who didn't comment your sets. And rarely comment anything yourself. :bee: Come to think of it, I still haven't commented any of your sets... :urg:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Rool, I only complain about how Kat never commented the Spartan...te thing is HIS set!

its a real dude, it's colorful and full of neat pictures, it is fun, and it is BLATANTLY EDUCATIONAL! :p

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
The comment wasn't a joke. Saying something like that on the internet to somebody and then saying it was a joke would be quite cruel. It's not like I don't understand that the stuff we say here can actually affect the person on the other side who reads it. As for me, it's MY OPINION of the set. Mine. Not a representation of anyone else here. Simply my own thoughts as a human of how this particular piece of work appeals to me. It's not designed to convince people to share the same view as me either. Such thing is non-existent.

I apologise if I was being a bit rough with my wording there. I know you weren't trying to cause any harm, just trying to warn me about how others will attack me for having a different opinion. I do not care bout that. They can't get me to drop down my opinion. It's my opinion. As is yours of Salamence, Empoleon and Dark Bowser.

You're right. I'm sorry. It's your opinion, and I respect that you don't care what people think of you. I'm looking forward to your moveset!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
"My name's Sarisa. Glad to meet you."

For a full character image, this fanart will have to do (ignore the face). I didn't make it:
http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=phantasy star 0&order=9&offset=24#/d2lrsbg

Sarisa, the supportive newman of the DS RPG game Phantasy Star Zero has joined the Brawl!

Sarisa is a newman, an elf-like race created from the DNA of humans. Her kind existed on the moon for 200 years, where they were raised under the teachings of the god-like being Mother Trinity. Newmans were taught that humans commited atrocities against the earth and drove the newmans off to live on the moon. Sarisa was then sent down to earth along with a number of other newmans through space pods, given the task of monitoring the humans on the surface. She eventually meets the player character, and starts to question her teachings once she sees the humans working together. From then on, Sarisa becomes a main character to the story, working with the player character as a partner to help uncover the many secrets of the world (and bad guys).

Personality wise, Sarisa yields a caring and modest nature. She is also fond of going to new places, since she read up of a lot of earthly subjects back on the moon. While her age is not known, it can be assumed that Sarisa is in her teenage years.

Battle wise, Sarisa is a Force; a typical RPG mage who uses techniques (the name for magic in PSO) and carries the Zero Cane, the strongest wand/cane in the game. Due to being a 'mage', Sarisa is similar to Zelda in stats; except she isn't as tall or heavy. In addition, she doesn't have a good approach, defence, or any projectiles. Instead, Sarisa is a character who can and must control certain concepts of the game. It's easy for her to rack up damage, but extremely difficult to KO. She also possesses other numerous oddities in how she plays, but is able to make up for her weaknesses regardless.

{} Specials {}

Up Special - Self Debuff
Sarisa casts Jellen and Zalure (this + every other technique has Sarisa wave her free hand as the animation), which respectively lower the attack and defence of their target. . . which is Sarisa herself. Being debuffed lowers Sarisa's attack and damage + knockback resistance by 1/2. As stupid as it seems, there's a very good reason as to why Sarisa would want to debuff herself: chaingrabbing. IF Sarisa can grab her foe while debuffed, she can inflict some horrific 'damage' onto them through chaingrabs. Just be careful when you choose to Debuff yourself though, as it takes nearly a second to execute, and the buff only lasts for 20 seconds. In other words, you can't infinite chaingrab unlike DDD. :mad:

Down Special - Self Buff
Sarisa casts Shifta and Deband, the mirror versions of Jellen and Zalure. As you'd expect, Buffing has the exact opposite effect of Debuff, except it can buff nearby allies. You'll want to Buff yourself when it's time to score a KO (harder than it seems), and you'll need the extra defense Buffing offers in order to resist knockback. So generally, a Buff and a Debuff work differently for Sarisa's game at different times. One thing though: you can't overwrite Debuff/Buff with the other, you must wait until the 20 seconds expire.

Neutral Special - Healing Techniques: Resta and Anti
Sarisa casts Resta, which heals 16% to herself and any teamates nearby. She also throws in Anti, which cures all status effects of Sarisa + Teamates; except for Sarisa's Debuff or Buff. At first glance, a spammable self-heal would seem broken, but it's perfectly legitimate for Sarisa: it replaces her standard recovery (all the more reason why Debuff poses a big risk). The only real condition to use this move is time and space, as it takes a second to execute the technique. It's extremely important for a Sarisa player to control their damage percentage since there's a good deal of risk playing as Sarisa.

Side Special - Magical Sign
Sarisa creates a magical, yellowish staircase in front of her. This staircase can be angled up to 45 degrees diagonally and is 2 SBB in length. While it's out, the staircase acts like a regular platform. Sarisa can get rid of the staircase by re-using the input, otherwise it lasts for 25 seconds. If Sarisa is on the staircase when it vanishes, she'll hop back towards the position she originally was in to create the stairs; finishing off any attack beforehand if she happens to be in the middle of using one (this is more important than it sounds). Sarisa cannot use this attack in mid-air.

Magical Sign is what brings a lot of Sarisa's game together due to it's sheer spacing potential. You can pretty much chaingrab a foe on the staircase, and when it's gone, jump back to original casting position: then heal yourself. It's quite a versatile move, being said for it's spacing.

Specials - Overview
Sarisa's Specials generally set the stage for giving her game some flow, whatever she's trying to accomplish. Throughout the fight, you'll always be needing to make space for yourself to heal or re-cast Buffs and Magical Sign after a good amount of time has passed. This is fairly easy if you use Magical Sign well.

Once you're succeded in casting the neccesary Specials, you can embrace the next step using Sarisa's Standards. While her Standard and Dash Attack are basic melee moves, Sarisa's Tilts are all magical-based. Following the standard casting animation (see 1st Special above), Sarisa flashes a certain color for forewarning. Once used, the technique is automatically cast in exactly 1/2 a second afterwards in the original casting position. (this only counts for the Tilts and nothing else) Execution may be slow, but they can lead into your desired grab if used well.

{} Standards {}

Standard - Wand Attack
Utilizing the basic 3-hit wand combo, Sarisa strikes for 2%, 2%, and a final 3% that KOs at 300%. Fairly basic, a Debuffed attack can get a free grab in with decent damage percentages, while anything above provides useful GTFO, which is important for preparation. You'll need this a fair bit, as it's one of Sarisa's only melee attacks. Her Standard and Dash are exception to her other magic-based tilts.

Dash Attack - Halting Rotation
Sarisa halts movement before spinning around once with her Wand/Cane extended, doing 3% with no flinch. The hitbox is a bit wider than one might think, acting like the hitbox of DDD's D-Smash. Make no mistake however, this attack is very quick; as fast as jab. It's able to cancel out any traction and have you ready to use your Ground-Game. it's also ideal for taking out any nearby explosives as a decent defensive act.

F-tilt - Foie @
Sarisa casts Foie, which creates a fireball that travels 2 SBB at a slow pace. It does 21% and inflicts the burn status. No, it's not 'burn', it's BURN. Causes the afflicted to randomly recieve hitstun over a peroid of 8 seconds. Should this happen, you'll end up with a somewhat incomfortable foe. Due to horizontal travel, Foie is not recomended for Magical Sign, but it's the most straightforward and damaging of the Tilts, despite being the easiest to dodge.

U-tilt - Zonde @
Sarisa casts Zonde, which creates a lightning bolt with similar properties to Pikachu's. Sarisa's version either hits in front of her or targets the nearest foe 2 SBB width in front of her. Zonde does not vanish until it touches the ground. The bolt does 15% (+ set stun) and inflicts SHOCK, which prevents the foe from attacking for 2.5 seconds. If you're lucky enough to be near the foe when this happens, they'll be forced to retreat, although it doesn't last for too long. Zonde is the only Tilt that is aerial-efficient, and can put a dent in a foe's plan should they try to attack you from the air.

D-tilt - Barta @
Sarisa casts Barta, causing a sheet of ice to advance in a ground-hugging linear fashion. The ice sheet is 1SBB wide, doing 18% (+ set stun) that freezes the enemy for a short amount of time, but not enough to gimp them offstage. Barta has terrible range, but the freezing can provide a good deal of time out + Sarisa can grab frozen foes despite it not usually being possible.

Standards - Overview
Her GTFO Standard and Dash aside, Sarisa's tilts are of fairly different work compared to the rest of the Smash cast. They're extremely powerful. . . too powerful in fact. See how Foie can do 21%? And then Buff it and do 32%? Status effect? Cool. But if you're just going to spam them for the sake of quick damage, you're barking up the wrong tree. Can they KO themselves? No. They don't even give any decent pushback effects. Also, consider as well how a chaingrab functions. . . the foe has to be at a low damage percentage. As strong as these moves are, if you use them TOO OFTEN, you'll give the foe too much damage (they'll need about 45-50% for it to not work, even with Debuffs). This means no chaingrab, which means no control, and ultimately sealing good chances away for KOing. Think "With great power comes great responsibility" ;)

Don't let this discourage you from using them however. As meanacing as the consequences are to you for such power, don't forget that all those status effects above ARE dangerous to the foe. And knowing you can move during the attack means that you can take advantage of the foe's dilema, wether they just got hit by your attack or tried to dodge it. Oh, and don't worry if they try to roll dodge behind you to dodge your technique. . .

The next part does not conclude the Grabs. It's more of a miscellaneous section, keeping in mind what it is that Sarisa has to do before she can grab her foe. Not too essential, but not unimportant either. Although a fair few of the moves do provide Sarisa with some aerial defence, seeing as how she has no recovery. Either that or they work in tandem a little with Magical Sign.

{} Aerials {}

N-air - Reverser
Sarisa casts Reverser, a technique that does not even exist in Phantasy Star 0 but in Episode I and II. It goes by name here. Sarisa does a Link N-air and smacks her wand to both sides. Once she hits a foe for 4% (decent pushaway), the 'reverser' effect comes in. What it does is swap status effects with the foe.

Dth mnie's questioning of how this move would work or even be neccesary at all because of the fact that you have the Neutral Special which actually heals status effects, is in fact, questionable. Well, my friend, providing you are not stupid enough to soak up the status effects of your Tilts, this be a powerful weapon to use in tandem with your Buffs. Planning on chaingrabbing out of a Buff? Sure, why not use this move to give the foe the buff so that they become easier to chaingrab. Want more endurance or power out of failed chaingrab attempt? Use this move to GIVE the foe the debuff, and it'll make them weaker (no chaingrabbing though).

Despite being able to give your foe a Buff, know this: doing so still counts as the Buff being active, which in result means you can't recast the move until it fades. Use this wisely.

F-air - Wanddercut
Sarisa quickly raises her wand underhead before thrusting it upwards with great force. The attack does 7% that knocks the foe slightly upwards so they're out of your way. It is simple, but powerful: a ranged hitbox that has the usual aerial priority. It's a little slow to start, but very useful to fight back against foes trying to knock you away. It's your only real defence in the air in fact.

B-air - Razonde
Sarisa turns around to cast Razonde, the 'stronger' version of Zonde. 1/2 a second after the casting, a spark of lightning appears behind where Sarisa casted. The first to get a battlefield behind the small spark is shocked for 10% and a bit of stun as it jumps towards them. Hmmmmmm. . . that might not seem like much compared to the tilts, but let me tell you something. It's pretty dam annoying. You could just run off the stage or a MS staircase and cast it to pi$$ your foe off and force them to get away so they don't get shocked. SPAM this, but don't SPAM it.

U-air - Megid
Sarisa points her Wand/Cane upwards to cast Megid, the dark/poison based technique. This fires a Party Ball-sized sphere upwards 1.5 SBB, which does 17% that does a slight amount of set knockback upwards (about 2SBB) to the foe hit by the sphere, AS WELL AS any other foes near that foe, creating a blast-like effect. Note that Megid can never KO. With Magical Sign, Sarisa can fall through the staircase, use Megid and then use her 2nd jump to re-enter. Truth be told, Megid is an excellent tool for putting the foe into aerial. You could even use Zonde when they come down to punish them. Actually, Megid is the only non-throw or Smash move you'll get that even knocks the foe away.

Great move right? Wrong, not if you don't make of your time well. See, Megid also inflicts poison damage on the foe, 2% per 2 seconds for the next 20 seconds. This means the whole attack accumulates up to 37%. Wickedly powerful right? Spam it. No, you won't want to do that. See, if the foe does get 37%, it's very unlikely you'll get to grab them, since using another technique would likely kiss those chances goodbye. Megid is a very powerful technique. You'd do well to use it only when needed.

D-air - Butt Slam
Sarisa twirls her wand upwards to gain air ascent before falling 3SBB downwards, butt-first. She does 16% to foes with knockback that pushes them back a little. The end lag is mild in the air, but rough if you hit the floor.

On the other hand, if you slam into a slope, it will allow Sarisa to slide down. Think Magical Sign. If Sarisa can create an upwads slope with it, she can use this move to slide downwards to protect herself from aerial opponents as an escape tactic. It's also pretty funny to see people get hurt from your rear end. Made famous by Peach. And yes, this is an actual attack in the game.

{} Grab - Rabarta {}

IMAGE HERE (This Rabarta is from PSO Episode I and II, a different PSO game. It's still used for this attack regardless)
Now finally comes the grabs! For this, Sarisa casts Rabarta, an ice-based technique that 'grabs' victims through freezing them. The range is significantly debuffed from the image to the point that it only hits a SBB on either side. Sarisa's grab is very powerful: it hits on both sides and has no limit to how many foes can be grabbed. Either side? That means that if the foe tries to get behind Sarisa in order to dodge a Tilt, they'll just fall into her trap ;). The only real weakness is that it floor-hugs, so you'll need to have your foe on the ground to use it. Magical Sign does make it easier on diagonal angles to grab approaching aerial foes.

As a defensive bonus, a 'grabbed' foe acts as a shield for Sarisa; they are solid walls for outsiders. This means that foes can't interfere with Sarisa's chaingrabbing. :chuckle:

Pummel - Cute Face
At the rate of Snake's pummel, Sarisa's foes are healed 1% from looking at her cute face. :p If you do this, Sarisa can keep her foe's damage percentage down from the damage she does with her throws, and keep on slugging them with chaingrabs. The only problem is that this strategy will only heal the foe so much, and it becomes more difficult with lower damage percentages.

D-throw - Grants
Sarisa shatters the ice that traps her foe(s), doing 2% that pushes the foe(s) upwards a little, enough that the stun will bring them back down for Sarisa to grab them again at low percentages. Yep, this is Sarisa's chaingrab which I blabbed about beforehand.

That aside, here the move's highlight: Sarisa also casts Grants on her foe(s), which causes a light to constantly shimmer around them for 30 seconds. Afterwards, the light expands a little before exploding, causing the foe 5% (+ stun). The light additionally confuses the foe, randomising their movement for 5 seconds.

This is basically the core of Sarisa's control: chain-grab the foe enough times and you'll put them through spot-dodge hell afterwards (just to clarify it, the frequency of chaingrabbing allows for a 1 second break in between the time a Grants attack strikes). With the added confusion effect, no foe will want to be offstage when Grants barrage begins. Since they're being distracted from an outside force, now is the time to KO!

F-throw - Get Away
Sarisa elegantly spins 360 degrees with her wand in order to smash the ice that surrounds the victims, doing 11% with set knockback in the opposite direction. Once you're done with chaingrabbing foes, or if you feel time's running short, use this move to knock the foe further away from you.

B-throw - BUUUUUUFFFFFF
Sarisa does the same thing as the above throw, except that she gives the foe a buff or debuff by random. Pretty cool as a last resort random measurement for creativity, huh? Or not. If you're using this move, most foes might not even be aware of their new status effect. But don't worry about that, cus you can use your N-air to get foe's Buff.

In general, this is the substitute throw you can use if you want to give the foe a buff. Say if you don't plan to chaingrab, a Buff/Debuff on the foe may provide little aid, though this moveset doesn't go into that kind of detail. More of a minor thing.

U-throw - Grants(?)
Wait, didn't I just post Grants before? Well yeah, that was the standard Grants. Come on, you actually think 'normal' Grants would give you all the help? They'll learn the pattern and then counter. Not with this throw.

This throw is basically the same as Grants, but you can use A, B, Z, or default to change the outcome once the 30 seconds are up.
  • Using A will cause 2 blasts of light to strike on both sides of the foe rather than directly hit them. They won't get hit unless they run into them. These lights ignore dodges, so they may roll directly into the light.
  • Using B will do the same as normal Grants, only for it to be a fake-out. The real one will forewarn before striking them straight after. Chances are that no foe will be able to fully dodge this, as there are other Grants waiting to strike. Spamming this = fun.
  • Using Z causes the Grants blast to appear ONLY after the foe has been attacked by a move other than Grants. Quite beastly in conjunction with your tilts, making it near impossible to dodge. This can stack.
  • Using Default causes the Grants to appear within a minute rather than 30 seconds. It easily throws the foe off-guard!
Wait, why would you even use normal Grants with all these options? Well. . . that's because none of these options will leave the foe confused. Granted, there will be a lot of problems for them as soon as you use the attack: which one is what? Ohnononono! You don't have to remember them all, but it's pretty darn fun to!

This was the last attack I had to work on so I had to come up with something quick.

Grabs - Overview
You know what to expect of Sarisa's throws. Mix it up with U-throw and D-throw chaingrabs in order to mess your foe up. Then throw them with F or B-throw based on your preference to get some space for the grand finale. This be the time where you KO.

Yet just because you got the control scheme over with, it doesn't mean you've actually won. You have a time limit - once all Grants attacks expire, you have to start again. This proves impossible in most cases, as the foe's damage percentage will already be too high to start chaingrabbing again. If all else fails, use brute force. Good luck getting the final hit.

{} Smashes {}

F-Smash - Gimegid
Sarisa casts the stronger version of Megid; Gimegid. This causes a mini-black hole to appear a SBB in front of her. While it's out, the hole creates a small suction effect that draws in nearby foes (2 SBB) at a moderate rate. The hole does rapid hits of 1% (no knockback) to foes that can rise up to 10% a second. Once the hole vanishes, there's a 1/8 chance that any foe damaged by the hole will suffer poison damage that racks 15% over time. Only 1 hole can exist at a time, and each one lasts for 8-24 seconds.

Gimegid is a fairly laggy, but effective move. It's not A KO move, but it draws in foes, and even forces them to take alternate routes to get to you. Nothing extremely special; just a suction trap. It's not something you'll want to use unless you have the foe in 'chains'.

D-Smash - Gigrants
Sarisa casts the stronger version of Grants; Gigrants. This creates a explosion of light all around Sarisa that expands up to a Smart Bomb radius, doing 15-21% (KOing at 140-110%) to foes foolish enough to touch the light of destruction. The range of the attack is absolutely godly, so fully charge it up or else you'll be punished from the extreme lag (2.5X that of DDD's F-Smash).

See the horrible lag back there? THIS. THIS, is why Sarisa needs to force so much control on her foe. THIS, is why she has to be careful with her useage of Tilts. Sarisa's chain-grabs ultimately lead into this. Once your foe is knocked back or KOed, you'll have to start the whole process again. Fortunately you'll get a bit of time to heal yourself when they're respawning.

U-Smash - Rafoie
Sarisa casts the stronger version of Foie; Rafoie. This has Sarisa create a fireball that she ultimately chucks in an arc 1/2 Battlefield. Once the fireball hits something, it explodes into 1/2 a Smart Bomb radius, doing 12-20% KOing at 200-150% to foes. Rafoie has the same amount of lag as DDD's F-Smash, but it's much weaker in versatility and power compared to Gigrants. On the other hand, it's a quicker option to Gigrants, and possibilities exist for nuking foes on lower levels of the stage. Unlikely to happen to foes offstage, but Magical Sign can help you work this to some extent.

And that is all. What, you want a playstyle section? I DID just go through the whole playstyle step by step. Is that good enough for you? No man, Im not going back through the whole thing. If you somehow fluked the control scheme by excessively damaging your opponent, uh-oh. You'll have to pull a miracle out and KO them with your stupidly slow Smashes (not really the point though, even though it IS possible). Anyway, Im going now. Good day.

Oh, and one more thing. . .

{} Final Smash {}
{} Photon Blast {}
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1016
Divert your attention here. These be Mags. What's a Mag, you ask? It's an artificial life form that follows around a Hunter in the world of Phantasy Star. You can feed it items to power up your status, and make them look cool. They even have this thing called a Photon Blast that occurs when they get too stressed. That's the part we want here.

Now, Im not too into the Photon Blast concept of the game, so let's make this simple for all of our sakes. This is a basic connect-to-work finisher FS. The first part has a random mag appear around Sarisa for a brief moment as the screen zooms in. If a foe touches Sarisa at this time, they're in trouble!

In-game, the player character (whomm is Sarisa here) and the mag are somehow teleported off to who knows where, while a random creature, probably the mag, comes in to wreck house. Siiiince images for Phantasy Star 0 are fairly obscure, this'll do best:
The creature from the game released looks like this.​

Anyway, as the background magically becomes rainbow, this thing above comes in the place of Sarisa, as big as Dark Beast Ganon to (guess what?) fly forward and kill anything in it's path, 70% KOing at 20% to be precise. That damage also applies to the trigger foe of the Final Smash.

Of course, for breaking a Smash Ball, Sarisa deserves MUCH, MUCH, MORE out of her Final Smash due to the difficulty she has KOing, and sometimes getting the Smash Ball. Once the beast vanishes offscreen, Sarisa reappears. Once this happens, strange pillars of light come crashing down around Sarisa, around a Smart Bomb or so, forgive me for using it so much as a measurement. The pillars pack even more power, lights out for those who are hit: 115% KOing at 5% that cut through invincibility, including respawning (though foes can still dodge it even if they were KOed by the first attack). With that the Final Smash ends in an epic way.

A devastating Final Smash should Sarisa strike a victim. It's fairly epic to use (that's what Final Smashes are for, right?), and provides a KO option should Sarisa fail. The Final Smash is a fairly inaccurate representation of the Photon Blast in-game, I so admit. You want the real thing? Get the game yourself!

{} Extras {}

Up -Taunt
Sarisa looks around while figeting due to nervousness. If she's in a damp stage or fighting a profane enemy, she'll utter of cry of "Eww!" instead, not being used to the conditions. Sarisa generally hates the rain or slimy creatures.

Side-Taunt
Sarisa reacts to her opponent's being, scared perhaps, or maybe disgusted. If her foe is a mythical creature such as a dragon, she'll express shock about the creature's existence, saying she though it only appeared in myths. Quite reasonable due to the time she spent on the moon. You do get to fight a dragon at the start of the game, if not, almost every Phantasy Star game ever. Probably.

If none of that applies, Sarisa will comment about all the new things she gets to see.

Down-Taunt
Sarisa wearily sits down, saying "This looks like a good spot" before getting back up in moment's time. Halfway through missions the characters would actually take breaks, though mostly this be a plot device so that they can speak about their problems and so.

Opening 1: Space-Pod
Think DBZ for this opening, which is one of 2 that you can choose based on your view of cool or canon. For this one, a space pod crashes in the background, with Sarisa coming out of it like in a early cutscene of the game. "Would it kill to make these things more comfortable?" Sarisa complains as she gets out, ready(?) to fight.

Opening 2: Teleportation Machine
In Phantasy Star 0, there is a teleportal device in the city that can take you to set locations around the world. One of these happens to be in the background for convenience, which Sarisa appears from, ready to fight.

Come to think of it, there are portals in the game's levels. 2 types in fact: one that takes you to the level's boss, and another half-way through a level that rarely appears, taking you to an arena to fight and get good stuff. This has no relevancy on the opening, it's just for your educational understanding or origin.

Up-Victory Pose
Sarisa is surrounded by her allies Kai and Ogi (they're assist trophies below), who are all celebrating a job well done while arguing a little at the same time. You'll get this victory pose if both characters were released as ATs (see below)

Side-Victory Pose
Sarisa sits on the floor while playing with her Mag, giving it strange green, blue, orange, and occasional red boxes which she found in the battle. Items appear in the form of these boxes in the games. You get this victory pose for using your Final Smash once successfully.

Down-Victory Pose
In-game, there are 3 cats sitting around town, and the game lets you pet them, resulting in a cat-noise. They even appear in a group photo for defeating the last boss in the game itself! For this pose, Sarisa is sitting around 3 soft and huggable cats, purring all the moment. It makes the opponents you want Sarisa to win. Pretty good strategy ;). You get this victory pose for being COOL.

Extra Victory Pose
Sarisa chooses to sit down on the floor wearily while saying "I need to take a shower" which was actually said in the game. You get this victory pose if you won without any special achievements.

Assist Trophy - Kai
Image here: http://www.pso-world.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7697
I could upload the image on Photobucket and such, but I can't really be bothered.

Hailing from the exact same game, Kai is one of the partners you get in the game's story mode along with Sarisa. While gunblades are made from ******ery, Sarisa was chosen as the representitive for Phantasy Star 0 for many reasons.

Anyway, Kai is a human who works with the Hunters in Darion City, the place in which serves as a 'Guild Base' of sorts. He's generally a fairly laid-back kind of guy, and is one to accept others, he being in most cases the one who introduced Sarisa (and the player character) to the Hunter's Guild, a place where people called Hunters go on mission battling the in-game creatures called Hostiles.

When released, Kai will generally do a number of things based on the tide of the battle to assist the one who released him, like a good AT. He'll move around in a fashion akin to Saki (did I get his name right?). My philosophy on ATs is a little different to others: mine are not invincible. Kai has 35HP, and takes knockback. If he loses it all, he's gone. Despite this, he stays out for as long as his ally is willing to protect him. Depending on the tide of the situation, he'll do a number of things:
  • If his ally's damage is 100% or higher, Kai will use Resta to heal himself and his ally. Humans can use techniques as like Newmans, but not as efficiently. Due to so, Kai's Resta only heals 5%.
  • Should a foe get too close, Kai will perform a 3 slash combo on them with his gunblade. Does 5%, 5%, 8% KOing at 150%, so it isn't as fatal as the input from other ATs.
  • From mid-long range, Kai will use the 'gun' of the gunblade to fire at his opponent. It does a fair amount: 11% with stun. Foes should be able to see this coming.
  • Kai may also choose to charge randomly of his own free accordance. It takes as long as a Smash Attack, and once done, Kai will unleash Earth Bullet, a Photon Art. Photon Arts are generally chargeable moves in game that come with the weapon, there being 3 in all for every kind of weapon. This has Kai slash his blade upwards to create some kind of fiery blast that is fairly akin to that of 3 Blast Box explosions side by side. Very dangerous to get hit by.

With Sarisa, a newman, and Kai, a human, Ogi makes up the final of the team, being a CAST. A CAST is generally what you'd expect of a robot. They can't use techniques but can use traps.

Ogi is the no-nonsense guy of the team of 4 (this including your Player Character), although he does have certain morals of his own in which to follow, and cares about his race.

In battle, Ogi is fairly similar to Kai, but he has a different build. In Phantasy Star 0, CASTS are much heavier than they look, it being fairly difficult to lift even the head of a CAST. In terms, Ogi has Super Amour, although he can still take flinch from powerful attacks. Being more stable than Kai, he has 60HP instead and regenerates it 1% per second due to the passive ability of a CAST (humans can't regenerate, but Newmans can regenrate PP, the neccesity for using Techniques). Ogi is far less versatile than Kai, but is able to provide for a shield with his body in some cases.

• Ogi carries a rifle as his weapon. When far away, he'll fire it at the foe for the same results as Kai's own projectile. Ogi will use this fairly often, making him tough to fight at a distance.
  • Should foes get up too close to Ogi, he'll try to punch the away. This does 22% KOing at 125%, but it's slow and can be dodged easily. An easy way to defeat Ogi is to make him spam this mindlessly.
  • Occasionally Ogi will set a trap that will come from his body. They appear as floating Item Capsules, capable of detonating like mines. Ogi can even set them off using his gun, making him fairly ruthless in long range.
{} Boss Battle - Reve {}

Reve is a newman, just like Sarisa, although he is a higher up who himself was raised by Mother Trinity, and lives to serve her. He is a fairly arrogant being, usually preferring to get the job done alone and does not like working with others, not being afraid to casually put them down.

In the game, Sarisa, along with Kai, Ogi and the PC discover Reve destroying ruins on Earth in Oblivion City Paru. Reve finds that Sarisa is defying her orders given by Mother Trinity, and isn't afraid to eliminate her and her team, Sarisa herself actually being a mere grunt.

You do not actually fight Reve in the game himself, though you do in this fight. Using his Double Saber, Reve also excels at using lightning-based, which of being Zonde. To get out alive, you'll have to defeat him!

Play As: Sarisa, Suzu, Dr. Cid, Lolcat
HP: 50
Stock: 7
Stage: A run-down temple, akin to Duon's Boss Fight Stage.

At the start of the battle, Reve is situated at the end of the stage. Unlike most bosses, he's basically a normal fighter, using the status of Fox. He will try to dodge your attacks while approaching you, but can't shield or dodge.

Saber Rave
With a deep "Hiya!" battle cry close-up, Reve attempts to strike you 6 times with his DSber, doing 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5% for a total of 30% KOing at 150% for those unlucky enough to be struck by all the shots. Be careful, as Reve actually gains a little momentum foreward with each strike, so try to keep your distance.

Deep Divide
If he's above your character, Reve will say "Don't touch me" before diving downwards in a stall and fall motion, doing 36% KOing at 120% to those touching him during the attack, or 8% with flinch to those nearby when he lands. Reve has a bit of cooldown which can be used to attack him.

Razonde
At long-range, Reve raises a hand forward to cast Razonde, his version randomly scattering around the stage in front of him. This move is extremely, if not, impossible to avoid unless you get behind Reve beforehand. Otherwise you'll take 45% from the whole attack. Fortunately, it doesn't do knockback, and it's long duration means that you can charge up a Smash behind Reve to use against him.

Diving Slash
At any range, Reve will turn his back on his foe with a "hmph" for a second before flying forward like Rayquaza does for one of it's attacks, doing 20% KOing at 80% to those hit. If he's close-up to the foe, he'll turn his back on them and screen-warp to hit them from the other side of the screen, so be careful of this.

Zonde
At long-range, Reve casts just basic Zonde, causing a random foe to flash for a second before a bolt comes right down on them. Be careful, for this attack has the same results as Sarisa's Zonde; 15% and no attacking for 2 seconds. To make matters worse, Reve will relentlessly pursue the targeted foe should they get struck and try to use Saber Rave on them. Try to use this moment as bait to lure him in for an attack.

Bust Throw
At 20% or lower while in the air above your character, Reve will say "Pathetic" before tossing his DSber downwards, doing 22% with strong hitstun to those he hits. After the attack, he'll jump upwards even further and attempt to keep using this attack again, even more so quickly, wether he hits you or not. Reve will try to home in on your position when doing this. After doing this 3 times, he'll use Deep Divide on you. But be careful, as it's power becomes doubled at this point!

Calamatic Clash
While in the air, AND at 20% or lower, Reve will say "Your end is now" before flying at your character with his DSber out. Should you fail to block, it'll do 55% KOing at 40%. You can dodge it easily, but if you connect with your own attack, it'll cancel his own out, rendering him defeated. But. . .

Over End
Once his HP goes down to 0, Reve tries to take you down with one more blow. He says "No. . . you're lives are mine to claim. . . none of you are leaving this place alive!!" before coming at you one more time. Get hit and he'll go overkill on your character with numerous slashes here and there, reuslting in 80% KOing at 20% for those hit. It's not hard to dodge though, as Reve will be left there defeated if he misses, or even strikes.

After the battle, Reve retreats to the background in order to prevent excessive injuries.

There's an extra boss after that, but I might leave it at that. . .

Or not.

Turns out Reve has his guardian robots givien to him by Mother Trinity, Chaos D and Mobius D. Chaos D is the floaty drill I think and Mobius D is the one with those hydrolic tread thingys. When the 2 appear, they act like Master and Crazy Hand, except each of them are almost as big as a Landmaster (you can also get a free ride on them)! What's unique about this fight however is that they both have the same combined amount of HP, just like in the game. You'll defeat them by taking their 130HP down on a enlarged version of the stage to give you enough space.

Dig (Chaos D)
Chaos D turns towards the ground and begins drilling into the stage at a fairly slow rate. After he's done that, he won't return to earth for 3 of Mobius D's turns. Think the battle will be easy? Think again! Chaos D leaves behind a hole where he drilled that halves the speed of anybody who's on it (this seems really stupid, though I think the logic behind it is that your character has a harder time standing on rough ground). After the 3 turns, Chaos D re-emerges from the ground, doing NO HARM to your character if they touch him. Chaos D will use this attack often, but that doesn't mean he isn't one to use other methods.

Hydro Ram (Mobius D)
Mobius D backs up a little before speeding forward OFF THE STAGE, doing 33% KOing at 100% to any hit. To top it off, Mobius D reappears from the top of the screen, doing the same amount of damage to those in his way at the time. You'd do well to either stay behind Mobius D or behind Chaos D's hole in order to dodge this, as it's quite dangerous and unpredictable.

Grinder (Mobius D OR Chaos D)
The D basically DOES A BARREL ROLL, doing a respectable 22%. The D will deliberately do this to you so you can't always stand on it. You can still stand behind Mobius D though for an easy win.

Shoot Down (Mobius D OR Chaos D)
The D flashes a little before firing 3-5 blasts forward without even bothering to aim. These each do 10% to you.

Revolver Dance (Mobius D AND Chaos D)
Both Ds fly towards the middle of the stage and start spinnig around together, constantly firing lazers that do 10% to you. Your best bet is to like, try to reflect or absorb them.

Machine's Fury (Mobius D AND Chaos D)
If both D's happen to be on 15HP or less, they do this attack to go out with a bang. Both of them literally fly towards each other, doing 80% KOing at 30% to anyone caught. After that, they'll start going mad for 3 seconds, litterally attacking the whole screen, doing 300% to EVERYONE. After this they'll be defeated, making this attack pointless unless you have 1 stock left or something. . .

After the battle, both Ds fly away from the battle in order to retreat and betray their master, now all alone. Congratulations friend, you've won!

Wait. . . what the hell is that thing. . . .

Reve's guardian robots are actually much stronger than they first seemed: merging together into the gigantic Gundam esque mecha Humilas. Everything else beforehand was a cake-walk. This is THE true battle. Humilas has 500HP and is freakin huge if you take into account how big Chaos and Mobius D were beforehand. He chooses to hover to get around, doing so fairly slowly so some characters can actually take advantage of the situation to damage him. On the other hand, he'll always be attacking if not doing that. This fight is hard, but fortunately you get all your stock back from beforehand.

Easy battle right? Not. This boss has a unique twist however. Whatever damage your characters had beforehand is how much they'll always have in this fight. Avoided the OHKO attack Machine's Fury and took the 300%? You'd had better bloody not have. Damage from the fight beforehand CANNOT be healed by any means, and the next character who takes the KOed character's place gets that damage. If you took enough damage from the fight beforehand, this boss battle is pretty much a sudden death boss fight.

How do you avoid this fate, you ask? Recall back to Machine's Fury where the first attack could almost OHKO you. Either that or try to get the Ds to not use the attack, which should be possible since there are 2 targets.

Because of this heavily unrealistic mechanic that has no affect on the canon, Humlias cannot inflict damage. Even if you have 0%, that does not make him easy to defeat however. . .

Slow Shot
Humlias points his gun arm at one character and fires at them. Unless spotdodged, the target has their speed cut in 1/2 for 15 seconds. Beware, as this can stack.

Freeze Shot
Humlias points his gun arm at one character and fires at them. Unless spotdodged, the target gets frozen. This is very bad. . .

Bushido
This is a follow-up attack to any of the 2 attacks above, should they strike a foe successfully. Humilas will 'transform' arms into a samurai sword. He will then proceed to move towards his victim and slice them for one big slash, KOing at 30%. It's fairly wasy to spotdodge, although it usually results in death, especially for lightweights or those near the edge.

White Barrel
Humlias points his gun arm at one character and fires at them. Unless spotdodged, this KOs the victim at 80%. Humilas will use this on characters who've been knocked back in case his more powerful attacks didn't finish the job.

Milas Trap
Humlias points his gun arm at one character. . . not so fast bucko, he's not trying to fire at you! Instead, he commands the ground to plant a giant mine underneath your character. It blows up in 15 seconds, causing SLOW (read above) and KOin at 75%. While it's easy to dodge, Humilas will spam this attack a lot in an attempt to make parts of the stage unsafe, both physically and psychologically.

Ground Burst
Humlias bends down and slams the ground to create a hitbox similar to Dialga's Roar of Time attack, KOing at 100%. It's HIS GTFO move.

Once you've lowered Humilas' HP to 200, he starts to go bat$hit on you as he flashes coolness, ready to bring out the big guns. Gotta beat him now!

Dark Horse Stomp
Humlias teleports (super speed in reality) above one of the characters, and then proceeds to crush them with his robot feet, KOing at 90%. Sometimes he tries to mind**** you and teleport to your character up to 5 times. Spotdodge it.

DIE DIE FURY!!!
Humlias still uses Slow and Freeze shot often enough. But regardless of wether you dodge it or not, he brings this bad boy out: enter 1,000,000 bullet overexaggerated shot fury as Humilas fires random shots like a madman. Now, let's just say that if you're in front of him when he does this, you're as good as dead. Oh, but hold on there a minute! Humilas does this attack for a good 8 seconds (which all of you know is a REALLY REALLY REALLY LONG TIME IN BRAWL). As somewhat sad as it is, you may have to use a sacrafice in order to use the time to your advantage. If so, one player should get behind Humilas while the other poses as a decoy. Only do so near the end, to which hopefully you have an extra stock so that 2 players can smash up Humilas from behind. Win smashers win!

After the fight, Humilas crumbles before exploding in an epic fashion. Reve is now alone, as he is shocked that the heroes possess so much power, just as he was in the game. Congratulations, you truly have defeated Reve! YOU WIN!!!

Ok, moveset over! I reckon I could have PROBABLY done a little better with Sarisa in terms of the concept of a "Character who has to use their power wisely or they'll end up with nothing" in a bit of a stage control manner. On the other hand, the thread isn't very live, and I originally posted a half-way done verison of this set to MT for the moveset grave. Figured that I might as well complete it before he shows it. I think I was trying to be a bit of a perfectionist here. Had about 2-3 other concepts brainstormed for Sarisa until this was the final copy. I reckon this is an alright entry for me, but not too special. To be honest, I don't really have much faith in myself.

Im all ears for "Overwhemingly negative reception" or "it was mostly ignored due to. . ." which happens to all my sets. Kinda going for the latter.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
OMG THE COLONEL!

I really like KFC, so *brofist*

I'm not going to have Bass for a while. I've decided to do Team Rocket first.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Alright, so my first actual contribution to MYM8 will be....commentary :laugh:

Sarisa
First off, I love the specials and their originality. It seems Debuff is just as useful as Buff, which is nice. I like the risk-reward idea with Debuff. Standards are overpowered, but by limiting their knockback, you eliminated the chance of them being ridiculously overpowered.
You seemed to stay true to character, while giving Sarisa a Smash feel, and I applaud you marvelously for that. Another great set, Katapultar!

Colonel Sanders
Welcome to MYM, john! I must say, this is an awesome first set. You definitely topped mine by a long shot, and it's clear you did your homework on how to make a good MYM set. Hope to see more great sets like this one! It's also one of the funniest MYM sets I've read...great job!

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
SARISA

Now this is what I call f-ing EFFORT. Creative moveset ideas, loads of extras, two assist trophies, and THREE BOSS FIGHTS?!!! IT'S A TRAP!! Seriously, though. I get the feeling you really put a lot of time into this set. And that time paid off.

I like how Sarisa buffing and debuffing herself balances out. You also put in a lot of moves that interact nicely with the concept. The standards seemed way too overpowered at first, but you remedied that by giving them almost no knockback potential. Discussing the playstyle one step at a time is a unique idea.

I am confused as to why it seems that Sarisa can't chain-grab when the opponent is high in damage, but that's just a small nitpick to this great set. Well done, Kat. You have grown more powerful than we could possibly imagine. :laugh:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
^Several Star Wars references noted, D...you have done well, my appentice :laugh: just kidding

wrkngclsshr

Smash Rookie
A Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Gengar

Gengar

Gengar, or the Shadow Pokemon, is the fully evolved form of Gastly. Gengar are dual-type Ghost and Poison Pokemon. They’re often playful and mischievous, sneaking up and playing tricks on random passerby. Also known for their hard, hitting special attacks and fast speed in competitive Pokemon. These two characteristics of Gengar are also relayed in Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Stats

Power: 6/10
While Gengar does have a few strong moves, most of them focus on comboing or are just small moves chaining to one hard-hitter.

Size: 8/10
When idle, just imagine a slightly smaller Donkey Kong. Not as wide or as tall, but still very large.

Weight: 3/10
Gengar is a ghost. I hope you see the connection here.

Aerial Movement: 8/10
Gengar is pretty agile high in the air, even if it’s not its specialty.

Jumps: 6/10
Slightly above average.

Fall Speed: 3/10
Floaty.

Walk: 4/10 (about as slow as Bowser’s)
Here Gengar slightly rises up and floats forward. This dodges items on the ground like stray Bob-Ombs or Banana Peels. However, now Gengar’s about as tall as Snake.

Dash: 8/10 (about as quick as Marth’s)
Gengar’s Dash is one of, if not the most important part of Gengar’s moveset. When executed, Gengar quickly delves forward into the ground, shadow-like, and will only appear barely foot-high as a little streak of purple on the ground.

While this may not seem that impressive, Gengar’s usually large, yet lightweight body is now unable to be hit by most attacks and even has super-armor. Like the Walk, the Dash also dodges items. Also, many of Gengar’s moves actually can be used out of the Dash like a Dash attack, sometimes even gaining extra effects! Once Gengar begins to dash, he will not stop unless a tapped input for a jump or a Dash Attack Input is given. This is so a player can use any of Gengar’s Other Dash Attacks successfully and easily.

On the downside, Gengar cannot turn around while Dashing, forcing him to rise up in order to change directions (which is what Gengar will do should you push the control stick in the opposite direction). Moves that reach down like Lucas’ Down-Smash and Marth’s Forward Smash are still able to hit Gengar for -double damage.-

As you can see, Gengar is a very agile character that focuses on dashing around the stage looking for openings on the foe to unleash a combo. While he does have great Aerial movement, there isn’t truly much he can do in the air aside from a couple attacks, making aerial-based foes a weak spot. Gengar will always be looking for prey, so foes cannot afford to even let one or two hits of Gengar’s connect. Gengar is filled with short combos that rack up damage, and even with a few tools on slowing those even faster than Gengar down...

(Moves that can be fluidly used out of Dash are in red)

Specials

Standard Special:
Mean Look

While Gengar’s Dash limits your turning, this move tries to solve that problem. Gengar quickly rears his head back and glares forward (the direction can be angled with the control stick, however), sending a silhouette of Gengar’s Eyes, about as big as the upper half of his body. These travel at a moderate speed, and will stun anyone hit by them, depending on the distance the eyes have traveled, peaking at one second after 8 stage builder blocks. This move’s start-up lag is similar to an Uncharged Shield Breaker, has little end lag, and does no damage.

Side Special:
Shadow Ball

Gengar puts his hands together to summon a large, but slow-moving Shadow Ball! The start-up of this move takes about .4 seconds, also surrounding an electric field around Gengar at the time, larger than Lucario’s Aura, but Gengar’s knocks the foe upwards and does 3% damage. The Shadow Ball will not fade away and is only slightly smaller than Gengar. The direction cannot be angled, and contact will inflict 10% damage and moderately high knockback. The Shadow Ball won’t actually disappear if it collides with an opponent, but will just pass through, able to hit many foes.

Dash: Mighty Lob:

Gengar will rise up from his Dash, still moving forward at the same speed, holding out a Shadow Ball in front of him! The Shadow Ball is about the size of Jigglypuff, inflicts 8% damage with average knockback. Gengar will continue to move forward as far as Luigi’s Dash Attack moves. At the very end of the attack, Gengar will lob the Shadow Ball in an arc that travels three stage builder blocks across and peaks at right above Snake’s height. This Shadow Ball is slightly smaller than a normal Shadow Ball and inflicts 5% damage with little knockback.

Down Special:
Blitz!

Gengar performs a twirl similar to Mario’s Tornado, but at the same time grows 1.5 times his size! Relatively quick, this attack has average priority and flinching knockback, along with only doing one hit of 5%, then three hits of 1% each at most, and only flinching knockback. However, the move comes out near-instantly, and Gengar shrinks down very quickly at the end of the move too, making for a very useful move to interrupt attacks and counter. If used in mid-air, Gengar’s momentum will almost completely halt when this move is executed.

Dash: Undercut:

Gengar will stop completely in his Dash, rise up from below doing the same animation and damage output and knockback (but with a few more 1% hits due to being extended) as the regular version of this attack, but now will keep on moving upwards until a stage builder block above ground. This also does moderate meteor smashing knockback. There is little ending lag. Should you miss, this will leave Gengar wide open for an attack (especially since now he’s even bigger). If the foe is successfully caught in this attack, a follow-up is sure to come.

Up Special:
Phantom’s Reach

Upon activation, Gengar will stop and focus in place like Lucario’s ExtremeSpeed, even with the exact same charge time. Like most moves that begin like this, the charge-time is also when the player is supposed to make a directional input. After that, Gengar will point to the direction inputted, and send out a black line in that direction (about the width of an Uncharged Charge Beam). The line travels as fast as Sheik’s Dash and can be controlled like the PK Thunder, and can only go as far as Zero Suit Samus’ Up-B reaches. When the line hits something, it and Gengar will fade away, and the following effects will occur depending on what was hit:

-An Edge: Gengar will appear hanging on the edge.
-A solid platform: Gengar will immedietly initiate his Dash where the line struck in the direction Phantom’s Reach was initially executed.
-An opponent: The opponent will be stunned and Gengar will appear in front of him/her, then immedietly use his Jab.

If Phantom’s Reach hits a wall, or the line was hit by an attack while traveling, Gengar will enter free-fall state from where the move was executed (or just suffer .2 seconds of stun if on ground) and the line will fade. If Gengar was hit during the move, the line will fade Gengar will suffer double knockback and damage from the attack that interrupted Gengar.

Basic Attacks

Jab:
Night Shade

Gengar rears his head forward a bit, then sends a small Night Shade forward that travels two stage builder block ahead. This attack comes out in one frame and ends with little lag. Getting hit with the Night Shade inflicts moderate set knockback and 3% damage. Knockback is set to two different ranges: if the foe is 20% and under or higher. Before 20%, the foe is sent into an arc of about 2 stage builder blocks with no DI, which means a Mean Look can quickly hit, giving Gengar a good combo to fall back on. After 20%, the Night Shade will inflict a slightly more impressive upwards set knockback, but the foe will be sent upwards too fast for an angled Mean Look.

Dash Attack:
Explosion

Gengar’s Dash stops, and right above him is a little purple blob the size of Wario. This “blob” rises up to Bowser’s height, and will actually stun anyone for half a second and inflict 2% damage if contact is made. This part of the move has low priority, being beat out by most attacks. After .4 seconds of staying at Bowser’s height in blob form, an explosion Smart Bomb-style that only expands slightly larger than Bowser’s Body. This has the same damage rate, but instead of doing knockback at the end, 6% damage is only dealt with little knockback. After this long, theatric animation, Gengar will then appear in the spot the blob was in.

F-Tilt:
Poison Jab

Gengar jabs forward with his right hand, glowing bright-purple, dealing 7% damage and low knockback. There is also a sweetspot at the very end of the move that does 10% damage. Medium priority, low lag on the start-up, but medium lag on the end. Pretty interesting, huh?

Dash: Sludge Barrage

Now THIS is the more interesting move. Here, Gengar will teleport a stage builder block behind where his shadow was, and will immedietly start to launch Sludge Bombs, which travel in the trajectory of a Yellow Pikmin. Three Sludge Bombs will be throw consecutively, and also very quickly, taking little time. The first two Bombs do 2% damage, with the last one doing 5% and high knockback. There is also little ending lag, making this a decent surprise move. Shielding laughs in your face though.

D-Tilt:
Protect

Gengar points his hand down, summoning a black, narrow spike from the ground that, when shooting up, does 6% damage and moderately-high knockback. The spike is about Snake’s height and width. After the spike reaches its peak, it will stay put for 0.1 seconds and any projectiles that hit it during this time will cause the spike to shatter (doing no damage) and reflect the projectile back at double speed. However, if no projectile is hit, the Spike will slowly melt down, taking about .5 seconds. Gengar cannot move until the spike is gone from the field, leaving him wide-open if used untimely.

U-Tilt:
Payback

With his left hand, Gengar points down at Kirby-height, then draws a line upwards to a stage builder block above him. As he draws the line, in front of Gengar will be a chain ofsparks that combo into each other that continues as his hand points. There are three red sparks about the size of a Smash Ball, and on the top very end of the spark chain is a slightly larger, black spark. The red sparks each do little upwards knockback and 3% each, allowing them to combo into each other on foes at 60% or less damage. The last black spark does 5% damage and high knockback, KO’ing at 130% from the edge of Final Destination. Like most of Gengar’s moves, this one comes out relatively quickly, but has moderately high ending lag.

Smashes

Forward Smash:
Shadow Star

Gengar puts his hands out and charges up energy, forming a small Shadow Ball the size of Meta Knight (which emits a purple glow with a radius similar to Meta Knight’s Jab)! This Shadow Ball isn’t for throwing though, as Gengar simply drops it, now able to run. The Shadow Ball will stick on the ground (or fall down if Gengar used it over the ledge) for one second. The Shadow Ball explodes if made contact with like a grenade. If no contact is made, the Shadow Ball will explode anyways. The longer down this move was charged determines its damage output, ranging from 10% uncharged, and 18% charged. The knockback will always stay the same, moderately high, possibly KO’ing near the edge. Also, even if Gengar touches the Shadow Ball, it will detonate and hurt Gengar as well. The start-up of this move is somewhat longer than the general quick start-up attacks in Gengar’s arsenal due to Gengar having to charge the Shadow Ball.

Dash: Dark Star

When used while Dashing, Gengar will turn into a Melee Kirby-like Dash Attack Meteor, now black and white, and travels diagonally at a 35 degree angle, stopping when reaching right above Ganondorf’s height. After reaching the peak, Gengar will revert back to normal state in free-fall. Any foes caught in the rush of this attack will suffer 1% damage per hit and get caught along with the rest of the rush (up to 5 hits if caught at the very beginning of the attack). At the end when Gengar reverts back deals 6% damage and high knockback.

Down Smash:
Ominous Wind

Facing the screen, Gengar thrusts his arms to each side, sending out one small wind on each side. These two winds are about Pikachu’s height, and have a very strong wind-push effect, sending foes a stage-builder block away. The winds themselves travel quickly, going about two stage builder blocks before fading. Gengar can move once the winds touch a foe or disappear from the stage. If a foe is at 80+%, then being pushed by this attack will freeze them. Charging this move increases the distance these winds travel, going up to two stage builder blocks farther fully charged.

Upwards Smash:
Riot Sparker

Gengar looks slightly upwards, blinks, and diagonally above him he creates a bright blue spark that deals a set knockback of two stage builder blocks to the direction Gengar is facing and 6% damage! The spark is about the size of Pikachu. There is little lag on both ends. Charging this move increases the set knockback distance by three stage builder blocks at full charge. This move is useful to attempt to hamper any attempts at aerial attacks.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial:
Will-o-Wisp

Facing the screen, Gengar spreads his arms and legs out, sending out four blue flames, which are slightly smaller than a Smash Ball, in the four cardinal directions. The flames travel the speed of an uncharged Aura Sphere. Once out, the flames only travel slightly farther, about Zero Suit Samus’ width, then fade. The west and east-heading flames go about a stage builder block farther. Each flame does 4% damage and medium-low knockback. Gengar maintains position until all flames disappear. There is little start-up lag, but Gengar will be stuck in a useless position if used up in mid-air. There is, however, little landing lag, making this useful short-hopped.

Forward Aerial:
Sucker Punch

Gengar’s Momentum will STOP! similarly to Lucario’s Down-Aerial, and two stage builder blocks away in the direction Gengar is facing appears a small purple-fireball! This fireball will then rush over to Gengar, hitting the first foe it touches for 11% and moderate knockback. However, if the Sucker Punch doesn’t hit anything or collides with a shield, Gengar will then fall into free-fall state. The beginning and ending lag is the amount of time it takes for Lucario to fire an uncharged Aura Sphere at 0%.

Upwards Aerial:
Sinister Spines

Gengar heels over forward as the spines on his back quickly lengthen to about a stage builder block above, staying in place for half a second before reverting back. The initial motion of this attack does 12% damage and high upwards knockback, KO’ing easily off the top. Any other times the spines make contact with a foe will deal 3% damage and slight knockback. After one use however, move degradation REALLY kicks in, greatly reducing the knockback dealt. Damage is also reduced to 7%. The landing lag on this attack is also abysmal, taking .75 seconds.

Backwards Aerial:
Lick

Gengar turns around and sends out his tongue (which comes out about the size of Kirby)! Not much to this attack, but it actually meteor smashes! Also, while performing this attack, Gengar falls a bit slower to catch up to his falling prey. This attack does 4% damage. If a grounded foe is hit with this attack, they are stunned for a period of time depending on their damage meter before being hit by Lick. The stun only gets to a considerable length at 60%, and even then is only .2 seconds, barely enough for Gengar to follow-up. The length grows by .05 seconds for every 10% after.

Downwards Aerial:
Vortex

Yay, more disjointed hitboxes- It’s too bad this one has .5 seconds of start-up lag! Here, Gengar will throw his hands up, then downwards, summoning a Vortex the size of a fully charged Charge Beam! The Vortex has a slight vacuum effect around it, and deals 14 hits of 1% each, spread across one second. There is a 15th hit at the very end which deals a set upwards knockback to right above Gengar’s body that deals 2% damage. After this whole dramatic animation, the vortex will dissipate and fade away into the background as black dust. There isn’t much ending lag to Vortex, giving Gengar the ability to follow-up with another usually-situational Aerial like Sinister Spines, or even Sucker Punch if Gengar still has his mid-air jump.

Grabs and Throws

Grab:
Psychic

Gengar’s eyes glare, with the front part of his body slightly waving, catching nearby foes in a psychotic bind, rushed two stage builder blocks in front of Gengar and held there. Grabbed foes are shown struggling as if they were being held by the neck while Gengar has his right hand held out. This grab has the range of Mario’s however, only average, visually shown as that wavy frontal part of Gengar’s body. Average start-up lag, and one second of major ending lag.

Dashed: Gengar’s Dash Grab has slightly more range here as now he will also be rising upwards from the ground while grabbing. The Grab will do 13% added damage to shielded foes. It’s too bad the ending lag is even worse here, raising up about another .25 seconds.

Pummel:
Hypnosis

Gengar’s eyes slightly enlarge and fist grips. The foe is then seen sleeping while in the psychic bind. Other than the D-Throw, Gengar’s Grabs will not be able to be performed if the foe is not asleep (nothing will happen if the button combination is pressed). If Gengar grabs someone while they were asleep, then the foe will already been in this state, unnecessary for Hypnosis.
Also, Hypnosis cannot be used if the foe’s damage meter is below 80%. If the victim’s damage meter is below 80%, they will struggle FREE while Gengar tries to hypnotize, leaving Gengar dazed and confused as the mind-link was suddenly broken.

F-Throw:
Dream Eater

Gengar releases a shadow-like version of itself at the sleeping foe. The shadow will go then “melt” into the victim, inflicting 13% damage, also healing Gengar by the same amount. The victim will then be thrown forward onto the ground (set distance of one stage builder block), then skidding for about two stage builder blocks. If by then the victim would have fallen off stage, they simply stop at the edge. Also note that this throw, along with the rest of Gengar’s, has a very long animation

U-Throw:
Nightmare

The victim is raised up slightly above the height of Gengar, staying still for half a second, with his/her body flashing black. Then, Gengar will quickly throw down the victim, inflicting moderately high upwards knockback and dealing 16% damage.

D-Throw:
Focus Blast

Gengar waves his right hand down, throwing the victim to the ground, doing 2% damage. Then in his left hand, a bright orange ball of energy appears, which is then thrown at the victim, exploding, and inflicting 13% damage and high upward knockback.

B-Throw:
Soul Creepers

The own bad memories of the grabbed victim will come back to haunt here! Gengar will close his eyes as a purple claw (made complete from the victim’s regrets!) will emerge from the victim’s head! This claw will then latch onto the ground and then throw the victim backward for high knockback and 17% that KO’s around 110% from the center of Final Destination. Other foes caught in the swing of the throw will get hit for 5% and moderate knockback.

Final Smash

Complete Umbrage

Okay, who let Gengar grab the Smash Ball? Whoever did is now in for some serious pain! Once Gengar activates his Final Smash, the whole stage will turn instantly black for 10 seconds, aside from Gengar’s red eyes, silhouettes of the other character(s) and their attacks, and an outline of all of the platforms. When the Final Smash is executed, all foes will be slowed down! All attacks will also do twice as much damage output (regardless if it was Gengar’s or not), and Gengar earns Super-Armor for the whole duration of the darkness.

Another thing: For every other player while Complete Umbrage is going on, there will a Gastly following that respective player. The Gastly are slightly larger than a Smash Ball and travel as fast as a half-charged Charge Beam. When the Gastly hit a foe, they will inflict flinching knockback and a “purple flower” status for five seconds that slows down the movement of enemies even more, along with the regular flower effects. Should the Final Smash end before then, the flowers will fall off.

Playstyle

In general, Gengar is a mostly defensive-minded character, but has many offensive moves to punish foes with. With a few decent projectiles, and a very sneaky Dash, Gengar can leave you with scars while he’s still zooming around.

In the beginning of the match, it’s best to use Shadow Ball then Mean Look, creating two little moves for the opponent to be forced to dodge while approaching. Gengar should then begin Dashing towards the opponent to initiate a Dash Attack. Just pick your poison for a Dash Attack depending on the reaction of the foe. Against other projectile-spammers, Gengar will have more trouble, probably being forced to Dash or spam Protect, becoming quite predictable in that aspect.

After gaining early momentum, Gengar can either try to press on with more combos, or play keep-away, constantly avoiding attacks. “Mini-combos” like Night Shade to Mean Look can also be used as a fallback. With a slew of projectiles and disjointed hitboxes, Gengar will probably outreach the general offensive character. Ground-based middleweight and heavyweight characters in general will probably have trouble facing a skilled Gengar with the flurry of damage-rackers like Blitz! and Dark Star, along with even trying to hit Gengar with that annoying Dash.

What DOES Gengar have trouble with? Aerial foes and lighter weight, smaller characters.

In the air, Gengar really has no true assets other than Will-o-Wisp, but even then it’s a stretch. Lick only hits behind Gengar, while Sinister Spikes is risky without a combo to back it up, Vortex taking longer than eternity to start up, and Sucker Punch can easily be air-dodged. Gengar does have Riot Sparker and an Angled Mean Look to try to hit Aerial attackers.

Since lighter characters get knocked around easier, Gengar will have a harder time hitting them with combos due to their general maneuverability and lightness. Apart from the set knockback attacks and maybe a multi-hitter, lighter characters can just play defensive all match long and force Gengar out.

In Free For Alls, Gengar does not perform very well. He has massive range in his attacks, and has the quarrel-stopper Shadow Ball, but his size and lightness makes it even more crucial to not get hit by any move whatsoever. If anything, Gengar will probably just be that OTHER annoying guy on the opposite side of PK Thunder Spamming Lucas/Ness spamming Shadow Ball, Mean Look, and maybe Sucker Punch or something.

All-in-all, Gengar works better in 1-on-1 fights, annoying his opponent with his Dash, slightly larger moveset, and array of disjointed hits. However, he does have to watch other for other defensive characters and aerial foes. Don’t forget Gengar’s size and weight, which aren’t very impressive at all. In Free-For-Alls, Gengar won’t do much either, most likely camping. Gengar is a glass cannon, and one who definitely cannot afford to be hit.

...Aaaaaannnnd.......*scene*

n88

Smash Lord
So, wrk's finally got a moveset done! We're getting a regular rush of newcomers here, which is great. MYM could certainly use some fresh activity.

Anyway, Gengar is a good first moveset. He's got a nice and appealing blend of creativity and workability in that he's easy to imagine in Smash, and I would definitely pick him up as a main if he was in Brawl. Gotta love all those nifty Dash Attack options. You've also got a good level of detail, with relevant comparisons to Brawl characters other than Ganondorf throughout.

However, Gengar does seem to be a little underpowered. For instance, there are a couple places (Dash and Up Special) where you make Gengar take double damage, which I don't feel is really necessary. Not allowing Gengar to use most of his Throws until the opponent hits 80% damage is also a bit odd. Gengar's low weight for his size is a huge obstacle to success already. You seem to have nailed Gengar's playstyle in your description, although it seems slightly out of character for Gengar to play the defensive role. (Then again, I'm hardly a Pokemon expert)

Your organization is good, but not great. Those dark purple and blue colors used for the stats+intro are a bit hard to read, but I didn't have any problems with the rest of the set. Overall, Gengar is a great first work, especially since I believe you put this together relatively quickly.

And we also have Sarisa here. I'm not really sure what to say about her, except that she seems like quite the glass cannon. Her various ridiculously powerful attacks combined with the chaingrab should make a character so ridiculously overpowered that it makes Meta Knight look like Pichu, but that's not the impression the set gives me at all. You do a pretty good job preventing her from becoming the Smash God that a few of those early attacks make her look like she's going to be.

All in all, I really like what you did with chaingrabbing here. It's a fairly unique approach to a set, and it's always nice to see something that stands out from the crowd.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Gengar

Wrk posting a set? Well, it's time to start packing up. See you all in 2 years!

...But before I go, I owe you a comment. I previewed the set for you, so from what i read, you certainly improved it. For what it's worth, it's a very good newcomer set. I like the Dash mechanic, and it flows into a fairly interesting playstyle. HOWEVER, I do have a problem with it. For starters, what does he do when he reaches an edge of a stage? I'm assuming it auto ends the dash, but you don't really explain it. Also, there are some generic moves here and there (the neutral and kind of the side special comes to mind.)

Like n88 says, he feels a bit underpowered. Double damaging when he's dashing it a bit much...Maybe 1.5x the damage instead? Not to mention the pummel seems useless before 80%. However, I like the pummel and forward throw combo, though personally, I wish you could have expanded more on sleeping...maybe, you can incorporate Nightmare in there?

Overall though, I found this to be a very good newcomer set, and a decent set overall. You got (most) of the details, and I had little trouble reading it. Good job wrk, and hope to see your future work.:bee:

Smady

Smash Master
A bit of a break from commenting due to starting a new term of schooling – God forbid I make another one. The Sniper is the first in my catch-up movesets. In all, for a person only on their second or third moveset, it’s a really great effort and a huge improvement for you.

Some off-topic and nitpicking follows: this moveset reminds me a hell of a lot of my old Raiden moveset from Make Your Move 5, which placed second. It had extremely similar mechanics with its sniper rifle, along with a similar slew of sword attacks. It’s not so much in terms of function, as sheer appearance, what with the organisation also mirroring that moveset with thumbnail-sized images above some moves that are Sniper’s equipment; exactly like Raiden. Not to mention that “striking in place with knife” move, I think it’s the neutral standard – exactly like Yamazaki’s. Along with K. Rool’s colouring scheme you have going, this moveset is major déjà vu. This is all relatively positive, mind you; I just felt I needed to address it. Horribly off-topic to mention in what will become rating-linked, but you’re a fan of Spoony, right? Who is deadliest? Spadefox?

Nitpicking: abandoning the hat mechanic is silly, like I found with Raiden, making equipment only useable once a stock is pretty silly. You’re cutting off a good few moves when you use a random input like one of the aerials, which aren’t even close to the highlight of the set anyway. Why give a negative in this area, when it’s already pretty much a negative? I’ll make another horrible comparison here, to Jason, who abandoned his knife at various points, castrating his potential. It’s not a good practice. It’s also a little unclear with the throws, whether you need the hat just to initiate it, just with the pummel, or to use moves concerning the hat... pretty big error if you seriously want to cut up Sniper’s grab game like that.

Anyway, back to where it counts – the moveset el natural. I do like how the sniper rifle works, perhaps as it’s exactly how I would envision it, as a laser-sighted cracker cannon. Lining up headshots is also perfectly set up by your having to position yourself; a clever bunch of inputs here, which would do better as a larger part of the moveset. You see, one cannot multiply prosperity by dividing it, a mistake you make constantly here. It’s fine, you’re new – in future, try not to rely so heavily on props like the Jarate, forward tilt and bow and arrow. It may seem like the perfect idea to reference all of this great source material, but it seems more like you throw it in there purely for fan service. It needs to flow into this greater concept you have going with the sniper rifle. This is ‘The Sniper,’ not ‘Spartan Warrior’ – it’s inferred that he relies on his sniper rifle, not switching between four different weapons on the go.

I’ll sum up some areas of the moveset in short. Loved the colour-coding, the writing style is pretty good for your age, but pronouns shouldn’t become the centre of it – keep focus on what you’re writing about, as you have a slight tendency of wondering off-point. Perhaps nitpicking [again], but there were some instances where you decidedly started dawdling with queer language like “this attack comes out quickly, pretty subtle” – I personally disliked this. Your use of images in a non-intrusive fashion is, as said, extremely similar to how I did it, as are a lot of things in this moveset, so you get plus points for that.

In particular, though, your playstyle and match-ups are far beyond your experience. They’re right on the mark, and I can easily see you breaching the top of the contest if you continue to make movesets. Forgive me if this comment dawdles – it “cleaned out the cobwebs,” mostly because I was stuck on your set. Maybe due to how similar it is to my own work, I just didn’t find Sniper all that memorable, with nothing tangible to grab onto. It’s simply very hard to deduce how good a moveset like this is. Whatever the rating may be, though, keep in mind that there are lots of good things to take away from this moveset and please try again, as soon as you want to. I’m fascinated to see what else you have in-store.

Octillery is rather excellent for several reasons: it’s a Pokémon moveset non-reliant on the syndrome, your creation of it was determined by dice roll and the main mechanic is both deliciously in-character and well-implemented into Smash. I feel it’s a cut above Forretress, not feeling rushed like that moveset did while retaining some of that imaginative expression of yours.

I love how you use the suction cups as a way to make Octillery into somewhat of a turret – shooting of gunk, when attaching to walls, keeping the opponent trapped down on the floor. Unfortunately this kind of play doesn’t really come into realisation much in flat-stage Smash Bros, but it’s an interesting concept nonetheless. You still make great use of the tar in sticking the opponent down to achieve the riskier moves, oddly mostly aerial. I do get the connection here – you cover the floor in gunk to force them to approach from the air, and then hit them with the KO move, but it does seem a little forced. An opponent knowledgeable of Octillery would stay to the air with a low percentage, then just stick to the floor at high percentages, as he is kind of lacking at killing otherwise.

Not to downplay the great playstyle at work here – tie down with gunk, **** – pretty much. Crawling all over your opponent’s face not only presents a great insight into the octopus-inspired character with some great moments put forward in your prose, it always comes together with the flow of the moveset to be viable in splitting up the moveset. As Octillery’s main objective is with the projectiles, making use of his suction cups in this squid-like fashion is very clever – the opponent really doesn’t want to get close to him. With a projectile-based character, this has its obvious advantages. I must say as well, interactions here are all rather splendid, with a mildly-challenging Octopus / squid concept and really puts movesets like Kingdra to shame.

As that’s really all there is to this great little moveset, I’ll move on quickly to the nitpicking – there isn’t much to be made, other than backing what has already been said. The tripping mechanic needs to be buffed some, you need to further explain the climbing walls mechanic and a few of your phrases are a little mystifying. It certainly keeps the prose from becoming boring, but the various quips involving Brawl characters’ moves and describing based on some obscure piece of another character can be unintentionally obfuscating. Aside from that, the organisation is solid [simple; barebones, it’s perfectly adequate for Octillery] and the writing style, on the whole, is very solid.

I know a moveset has beaten me when I have this little to criticise. Bravo, Joe, bravo.

Ah, B. B. Hood, from Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I’m sure that’s where she’s from.

Okay, so it’s obvious from the very start that you’re returning after a long time off – you put way too much detail into all of your moves. I’m humbled by the amount of effort just slathered all on B. B. Hood by a loving creator, yet I must protest that you go way overboard a lot of the time here. Cut it all down to the basic understandings of the set. On the same light, the organisation is Ridley size – it’s too big. You have a few giant images along with this massive generic white font that is really uninviting with how big the moveset already is. These are just general nitpicks, but will keep people from reading your moveset because of how huge it seems to be.

Actually, there are a few more. Don’t state something is “one of the worst / best in the game,” it’s a bit of a cliché. On top of what I’ve already said, keep your writing to a bare minimum – remember that this is an interpretative to a controlled art, but we have no place for massive detailing of everything. If you want to be descriptive about each move, cut it down so it’s bitesize for the reader. Unfortunately, yeah, I had to nitpick a lot of stuff here, but hopefully it will only help you get back on the horse after being away from MYM for so long.

The moveset itself is fairly decent, I suppose – it reminds me of movesets from a little while ago that similarly centred on traps and weapons a lot, where each move, like with B. B. Hood, pulls out another one in tandem with a “versatility” moniker. This is what I would call a ‘theme,’ were B. B. Hood’s personality is expressed through her obsession of using heavy machine weaponry. It would be a lot better, though, if you made this clearer and talked up more of the character you else wise you lavishly have dapped days’ worth of work into.

Actual complaints I have are that you do take a little too much inspiration from existing movesets with moves like the side special and neutral air, respectfully copying moves from Snake and Meta Knight. This kind of thing is really best avoided entirely, as it makes the set look weaker – it’s far better to just have a more generic command input, than looking so directly to a source material far from the character’s well.

I may seem harsh in my criticisms, but I do respect this is your first moveset in a while. However, I was given a bit of a headache coming to comprehend B. B. Hood’s playstyle due to all the weapons and ‘versatility,’ as there’s simply far too much to analyse. I can see plenty of good things shimmering amongst a lot of attempts at breaking through your old-world views of MYM – you are able to convey a sense of space with B. B. Hood’s Uzi, she has a wide array of weaponry that reflects the character to a degree – I particularly enjoyed the final smash’s resemblance to the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 ultra.

In the end, though, I feel the set’s biggest downfall is that it never really comes together at any point to form a coherent flow of basic concepts. It’s very messy, but almost charming in being old-fashioned. Just keep in mind what was good and move on from here.

Onto Salamence – I’m happy that you guys were able to revive the thread somewhat with the moveset, in the least. The shame is that the prevailing jokey writing style spills over what could have been a great joint, creating a boggy experience comparable to splicing up a Make Your Move 4 moveset and filling the voids with Empoleon’s worst interactions.

And yes, that was particularly harsh – this is the first comment I’ve written in over a week, however close together these comments may seem to a reader. Salamence has some redeeming qualities, though – the writing style has some salvageable good too. I loved the bit with MT and the Power Rangers at the start, there’s some genuine laughs from this end on lots of these references. As a side note, I also quite enjoyed the organisation’s simplicity; obviously a little close to the sun on the obsequiousness of what the Pokémon is besides a generic cool wind-y. In all, it goes further in making Salamence seem like Magikarp-level of fail, only being way overhyped instead – this would have been something I could welcome as a larger factor, because he’s seriously lacking personality.

On the bad side of the writing, I honestly found it very irritating, so much so that, like Scarmiglione, I was forced into a lull of commenting after already falling behind, earning my hatred and chagrin double fold. I feel embarrassed to be talking about this same old thing again and delaying talking about the actual moveset, but jeez, after Octillery, this moveset is just covered in fodder-full moves posturing simply to fill inputs, with so many stupid flicking quips that I just said, “Screw it,” and started skimming a little. There’s something about the way the moveset is spaced, I think, coupling with the way it’s written and the combination makes it come off as amateurish.

That’s obviously a pretty small objection by itself, but the moveset is also pretty poor. Every input is a Pokémon move translated directly through a generic wind-based attack... and this is already as bad a concept as Vaati. You have an amazing amount of completely pointless bites, twinges, body movements and magic abuse, in the form of fire breath to really obfuscate any of the potential the Pokémon had. The interactions are lame and shallow – you create a tornado, which is then clearly written chronologically first by you guys, as you fester together a couple of really odd moves like Gale Force, almost solely to move it around. Likewise, I hated Outrage’s stupidly changing moves that otherwise are sloppy and dartboard-chosen at best, along with the generic use of steel wings just to boost the hitbox size of some of his moves.

What really irritates me about this moveset is how openly arrogant Joe is in stating that these interactions are even worth mentioning, as they end up meaning such smallness in what is a pretty plain playstyle. You have two moves with almost the same exact purpose; both slightly altering certain moves, having to be charged first and having timed effects, making Salamence a heavy set-up character. It’s very heavy-handed flow, which never comes together to form a cognitive character. Again, acceptable by itself, but it’s handled badly with careless writing and no imagination at all.

Maybe I just expected more after Octillery and Axel Gear by the respective joint MYMers here, JOE! and Hyper_Ridley, but I felt this one was very weak. The playstyle section reads like a post-mortem, simply listing out uses of near every move when applicable, but never stating the key “what’s” about Salamence as an individual. There’s nothing here not already covered just as horribly in Vaati, another rushed moveset, but it’s Salamence, so it’s not quite a mutilation. After that, we have the match-ups, again very heavy-handed in listing out Salamence’s game as if he’s a foreign object, never touching upon how a player would interact with the character.

I think that’s where you guys mainly went wrong here – you rushed the moveset, resulting in it being a very old-fashioned effort that doesn’t portray the character as anything beyond a two-dimensional space filler for a Pokémon nobody ever cared about. As with Regal Bryant, I’m glad you guys did fill that space – God forbid, no one else ever would, but it’s still bad quality. If Jason Voorhees is funny bad, Solar Man is offensive bad... then Salamence is just bad. Should’ve been a joke set.

After that disaster of a comment, Smash Daddy fumbles on to Arcanine, part of a failed Pokémon joint moveset – a common part of MYM. Hey, I’m not complaining – it’s better than nothing and your first moveset this contest, ignoring the lacking Decoy Octopus.

So immediately I just look at this moveset and see it has lame organisation, with italic headers, an orange-red colour scheme and Gambit-style bolded moves over their description. I don’t quite understand why you chose such a boring format, given that you don’t have to prescribe to the overlaying Pokémon joint anymore, so I expected something more Arcanine-like. Similarly, the moveset reads a tad slowly, with zero images or humour or break-up at any point. None of this is particularly bad, I’m simply projecting my confusion onto this comment so that someone can say they agree; it’s odd.

I can’t help but imagine Ponyta or Rapidash when reading lots of these “drive-by” moves concerning Arcanine being lit up or otherwise influencing his run. While the Pokémon does seem like he’d be pretty fast and I’m sure his Pokédex entry illustrates that in some way, he doesn’t seem like a character whose main attribute is his speed. As a great dog, I’d expect some kind of largely-defensive, “standing your ground” playstyle centring on building up your fiery protective shields, or at least to have this mentioned. That you have a slew of moves entirely dedicated to surrounding the stage in pyres is a start, but you never tell us exactly why Arcanine is a race hound as opposed to what he looks like: a war hound.

Generally, this problem carries over to the moveset, unfortunately. Lots of the time, the inputs end up being placeholder-like in creativity, being nothing more than filler padded with fire attacks from Pokémon – aside from the connotations surrounding the interesting neutral special, as irrelevant as it may be, this set really has as many moves as Decoy Octopus. There are good concepts: buffs like Sunny Day and Extremespeed are interesting, if overpowered. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that the moveset is otherworldly powerful when buffed and easily abused what with his hurtbox being replaced with that first move.

The playstyle section is perhaps one of your better ones, pulling together a very fragile sort of flow that is far from the worst in the contest. This may actually be one of my shortest comments thus far, but, as you’ve said, Arcanine is part of a 6-in-1, meaning he has some obviously lacking qualities about him, making for some tedious commenting. I mean, I could copy and paste what I said at the end of Salamence, but I still think this slight-handed approach comes off better than that moveset, despite being technically worse.

Certainly, this moveset has some out-of-place interesting concepts; it’s just so rushed and unloved for, seemingly left to die in some writing purgatory because of Phatcat. In the least, this one actually constitutes as a moveset, despite the terrible grabs and there’s a lot of promise – in your next moveset, I expect some kind of expansion on ideas like in the neutral special, at which point you have a real winner on your hands.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
First of all, my apologies to the recent movesets on this page. I have a comment for Jack Spicer that is -LONG- overdue. I'll be commenting on Gengar and Sarisa ASAP (as well as Dionysus, Octillery, Colonel and Krystal/Knuckles)

Jack Spicer

Here we are, the first flyinfilipino set of the contest. I was wondering when you were going to make Jack as I seem to remember you considering it for quite a while. As for the moveset itself it’s a fun one for sure. The whole concept of Jack making his bots sounds both fun and entirely suiting (as he’s more or less a weenie without them). I do question a tad bit why the opponents happen to be carrying material for Jackbots but I’ve seen stranger things in Smash. I also like how you included different varieties of Jackbot. The player can either choose to save up for the Laser Jackbot while risking playing solo longer…or they can whip out several default Jackbots earlier as backup.

I question the Sphere of Yun’s balance. Five second imprisonment with decent range and speed seems a tad bit much, especially since they’ll more or less be dead-ish by the time the Sphere wears off (and after the Jackbots and Jack himself have been beating on them). Down Special I really like, especially as it is, as you said, a great way to build up Jackbot pieces.

Monkey Staff is, sadly, one of my least favorite moves of the set if only because of out of place it feels. While it certainly is fun, it seems to contradict the entirety of the set as a whole. While Jack is all about building his Jackbots up, Up Special actually DESTROYS them.

As for the other moves, they seem fitting from what I remember of Shaolin Showdown (especially the down tilt which made me laugh picturing it). Down Smash I love though; while it does destroy all your Jackbots…it also acts as a primary KO move while giving you lots of pieces to rebuild your army, great thought there dood! So all in all…I like Jack. He’s got some questionable moves (Side Special/Up Special) and not exactly the MOST thrilling normal moves but…he’s a fun set to read for sure and he’s got some really fun ideas. Your best yet methinks? Better than Jynx easily IMO.

Krystal/Knuckles

Alrighty! First off it's awesome to see a new movesetter enthusiastic about making movesets! Second of all, as I mentioned previously, agi and HR summed up more or less any beneficial advice I could give you in terms of improvement.

I personally enjoyed Krystal more than Knuckles but I attribute that more to source material than any fault of the Knuckles set; Knuckles has a bit less creative liberty than Krystal does. I would've liked to see a bit more emphasis on his digging and such in the moveset but I do enjoy the Down Special (especially because you took into consideration different kinds of platforms).

As for organization, as the others said, some bolding of the different sections (Such as "Specials" "Aerials" etc.) would be much appreciated and would improve the quality of it. While some prefer to use colors for the body of the text, I'm personally not a HUGE fan. To me, it's not really that much different than a white wall of text...except that it's a bright obnoxious color that makes me not want to read it. I'd rather read a dull block of white font than a paragraph that looked like Crayola threw up. That's also why bolding/increasing the font size of the headers (again like "Specials" and "Aerials") makes the set much easier to read; it lets the reader easily tell the break between moves types (not that they couldn't just tell by reading it but it DOES make it easier from a glance) without having to use random colors (especially colors that don't particularly fit the character).

So in short...listen to what HR and agi suggested if you want some awesome tips as to how to improve; you've certainly got the enthusiasm for it!
:021:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
You have an amazing amount of completely pointless bites, twinges, body movements and magic abuse, in the form of fire breath to really obfuscate any of the potential the Pokémon had.
Salamence is a generic fire-breathing dragon who loves to fly. What else COULD he do other than flap his wings really hard and breathe fire? Were you expecting him to fly into space and send different versions of Draco Meteor down to earth?

And I'm really surprised you're complaining about how simple the moves are, seeing as how you LIKED the simplicity of Axel's sword moves.

The interactions are lame and shallow – you create a tornado, which is then clearly written chronologically first by you guys, as you fester together a couple of really odd moves like Gale Force, almost solely to move it around. Likewise, I hated Outrage’s stupidly changing moves that otherwise are sloppy and dartboard-chosen at best, along with the generic use of steel wings just to boost the hitbox size of some of his moves.
Yes, how dare we actually write the move other moves will interact with before the interactions themselves! It's terrible how we defined how the main move's mechanics work before writing all sorts of interactions based around that moves' mechanics.

What really irritates me about this moveset is how openly arrogant Joe is in stating that these interactions are even worth mentioning, as they end up meaning such smallness in what is a pretty plain playstyle. You have two moves with almost the same exact purpose; both slightly altering certain moves, having to be charged first and having timed effects, making Salamence a heavy set-up character. It’s very heavy-handed flow, which never comes together to form a cognitive character. Again, acceptable by itself, but it’s handled badly with careless writing and no imagination at all.
lol @ Salamence being set-up heavy. The only "set-up" he has is gettin one of his TWO (not 100 like every other stage-control guy, 2), stage-control moves on the field where everything else just gets more potent when said moves are in play, and getting to a high enough percentage to more easily activate Outrage. But apparently Salanence doesn;t have to use Outrage to win accoring to other comments so that set-up isn't even required.

Also many lols at the idea of Salamence's playstyle being at all "heavy-handed". His playstyle section is just like all the others I write, I simply state potential strategies for different facets of his gameplay. Never comes together? Did you not see the part where he has different ways of playing defensivley based on how his opponent approaches, and his offensive gameplay involves him being an aerial character who DOESN'T like to fight other aerial characters? Just because he can play either offensivley or defensivley doesn't mean he has no coherant playstyle, it's called not being ***** by everybody who can counter his primary strategy.

Maybe I just expected more after Octillery and Axel Gear by the respective joint MYMers here, JOE! and Hyper_Ridley, but I felt this one was very weak. The playstyle section reads like a post-mortem, simply listing out uses of near every move when applicable, but never stating the key “what’s” about Salamence as an individual. There’s nothing here not already covered just as horribly in Vaati, another rushed moveset, but it’s Salamence, so it’s not quite a mutilation. After that, we have the match-ups, again very heavy-handed in listing out Salamence’s game as if he’s a foreign object, never touching upon how a player would interact with the character.

I dedicate each section of his playstyle guide to a different facet of his gameplay and what moves/stragegies allow for this to happen, LIKE IN EVERY OTHER PLAYSTYLE I'VE EVER WRITTEN. Without mentioning individual moves in the plasytyle section, all there would be is a 2-liner stating WHAT his playstyle is, but never going into HOW he does it.

I think that’s where you guys mainly went wrong here – you rushed the moveset, resulting in it being a very old-fashioned effort that doesn’t portray the character as anything beyond a two-dimensional space filler for a Pokémon nobody ever cared about. As with Regal Bryant, I’m glad you guys did fill that space – God forbid, no one else ever would, but it’s still bad quality. If Jason Voorhees is funny bad, Solar Man is offensive bad... then Salamence is just bad. Should’ve been a joke set.
Yes, a set that was started in MYM7 and worked on every week up until posting time is rushed. But of course all of Warlord's 2-day sets are insta top-5 placers.

I don't even consider Salamence one of my best sets, but this comment just sounds like the set was a waste of my time on the level of MYM6 Spadefox. And I'd have to try to make another set that horrid. >.>

Smady

Smash Master
Salamence is a generic fire-breathing dragon who loves to fly. What else COULD he do other than flap his wings really hard and breathe fire? Were you expecting him to fly into space and send different versions of Draco Meteor down to earth?

And I'm really surprised you're complaining about how simple the moves are, seeing as how you LIKED the simplicity of Axel's sword moves.
There's a world of difference between Axel's simplicity with sword moves and Salamence's. To put it shortly, Salamence doesn't flow into anything remotely interesting, while Axel Gear has a suitably fast-paced and follow-up centric playstyle. I mean, in this day and age, it's hard to forgive generic inputs in a Pokemon moveset.

Yes, how dare we actually write the move other moves will interact with before the interactions themselves! It's terrible how we defined how the main move's mechanics work before writing all sorts of interactions based around that moves' mechanics.
My problem is not the order of moves, it's that they had to be moves that you have to initiate to start anything else. It's heavy-handed, in that it forces the player to do these same things before anything else, with no advantage to the otherwise. Basically, it cuts much potential in the flowchart, to the state where a Salamence player has to use steel wing and outrage to play at the character's best.

Also can't say it's too imaginative. Part of body gets bigger; character gets "angry" and is stronger.

lol @ Salamence being set-up heavy. The only "set-up" he has is gettin one of his TWO (not 100 like every other stage-control guy, 2), stage-control moves on the field where everything else just gets more potent when said moves are in play, and getting to a high enough percentage to more easily activate Outrage. But apparently Salanence doesn;t have to use Outrage to win accoring to other comments so that set-up isn't even required.

Also many lols at the idea of Salamence's playstyle being at all "heavy-handed". His playstyle section is just like all the others I write, I simply state potential strategies for different facets of his gameplay. Never comes together? Did you not see the part where he has different ways of playing defensivley based on how his opponent approaches, and his offensive gameplay involves him being an aerial character who DOESN'T like to fight other aerial characters? Just because he can play either offensivley or defensivley doesn't mean he has no coherant playstyle, it's called not being ***** by everybody who can counter his primary strategy.
Bleh, these are connections either entirely missed or disagreed upon, where we will likely never agree. Certainly I can see how Outrage is superfluous as a mechanic and Steel Wing is also pretty replaceable. But then, you've based many of the interesting interactions entirely around the sub-par mechanics, so taking them away leaves massive holes. In terms of heavy set-up, I wasn't being general, I was talking about the playstyle itself. Typically to access most of these moves you're trapped in using these uninteresting and bafflingly dull or pointless inputs that dramatically change your pool of moves.

I can definitely see room for some like in here, but I still dislike the moveset, a lot.

I dedicate each section of his playstyle guide to a different facet of his gameplay and what moves/stragegies allow for this to happen, LIKE IN EVERY OTHER PLAYSTYLE I'VE EVER WRITTEN. Without mentioning individual moves in the plasytyle section, all there would be is a 2-liner stating WHAT his playstyle is, but never going into HOW he does it.
What's key here is that I said it never "comes together," by which I mean the playstyle does not connect with the set proper in a way that I'm used to with you. It's the only time I've felt like you're just running down what you can do, whereas before you excitedly weave for the reader some context for which to play: playstyle. Here, it's just some soggy paper tied around a turd, to put it bluntly.

Yes, a set that was started in MYM7 and worked on every week up until posting time is rushed. But of course all of Warlord's 2-day sets are insta top-5 placers.

I don't even consider Salamence one of my best sets, but this comment just sounds like the set was a waste of my time on the level of MYM6 Spadefox. And I'd have to try to make another set that horrid. >.>
Eh, I actually didn't mind the original Spadefox, until you started ripping it to pieces. :laugh:

What is here feels more like, perhaps due to the timing and the start of the moveset, a rushed set with shallow concepts put out purely for character bias. Which is all well and good, but it's a lacking effort in my opinion.

Also, I should be getting out comments on everything I haven't tomorrow, along with my last Sundae Summary for a week. I'll be on the internet this time Tuesday, but will be posting from Tenarife on my laptop, so won't have access to my recording programs. And honestly, who would want to record that kind of thing while on holiday anyway? Lame. Expect me to be around is all.

JOE!

Smash Hero
There's a world of difference between Axel's simplicity with sword moves and Salamence's. To put it shortly, Salamence doesn't flow into anything remotely interesting, while Axel Gear has a suitably fast-paced and follow-up centric playstyle. I mean, in this day and age, it's hard to forgive generic inputs in a Pokemon moveset.
1) Why is it looked down upon to have simple moves in a poke-set?

2) You praised Octillery, and he had worse offenders for "generic moves" than mence did.

My problem is not the order of moves, it's that they had to be moves that you have to initiate to start anything else. It's heavy-handed, in that it forces the player to do these same things before anything else, with no advantage to the otherwise. Basically, it cuts much potential in the flowchart, to the state where a Salamence player has to use steel wing and outrage to play at the character's best.

Also can't say it's too imaginative. Part of body gets bigger; character gets "angry" and is stronger.
Annnnnd other movesets that do this same thign are not bashed why? Look at Dark bowser. in order to essentially work he needs to get foes in his cage or gas before anything really comes together.

Also, as for imaginative: name 5 other recent MYM sets that did what Salamence did.

Bleh, these are connections either entirely missed or disagreed upon, where we will likely never agree. Certainly I can see how Outrage is superfluous as a mechanic and Steel Wing is also pretty replaceable. But then, you've based many of the interesting interactions entirely around the sub-par mechanics, so taking them away leaves massive holes. In terms of heavy set-up, I wasn't being general, I was talking about the playstyle itself. Typically to access most of these moves you're trapped in using these uninteresting and bafflingly dull or pointless inputs that dramatically change your pool of moves.

I can definitely see room for some like in here, but I still dislike the moveset, a lot.
There are only handful of moves that change "dramatically": Dash Attack, Nair, Pummel and Down Smash. Everythign else works just as it did, but with the added bonus of a damage aura/big constant hitbox, as well as becoming more potent as extra wind power is added or a fire element is attached.

Your game stays pretty much the same, but you are just so much more free to go all-out on an opponent just like you would with Salamence in Competitive Pokemon.

What's key here is that I said it never "comes together," by which I mean the playstyle does not connect with the set proper in a way that I'm used to with you. It's the only time I've felt like you're just running down what you can do, whereas before you excitedly weave for the reader some context for which to play: playstyle. Here, it's just some soggy paper tied around a turd, to put it bluntly.
...how does "explaining strategies on how to play" differ from "explain some context in which to play"?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
What is Knuckles' jump and fall speed? I feel like I need to know that.

Also,

Weight: Heavier than Sonic, but less than Fox.
?
Sonic is one of the heavier characters in Brawl. He has large horizontal and vertical inertia, generally surviving to about 150%, and he can get to 200%, stale move negation and super DI permitting.

Fox is on the order of Zelda and Marth's weight.

You meant those characters' fall speeds, right?

Well, Knuckles certainly has my kind of simplicity. ;) But to get into completely judging it, I need to be sure what the physics you had in mind are.

O Hai guys. Yeah... missing MYM 7...

long story, and not like I think anyone cares, but I was just away from SWF in general for a month or so, because I almost dropped SSBB, and then I had some important transitional life stuff to take care of... *cough* then it seemed really hard to get back here... 'cause I'd have to explain being empty-handed again.... etc.

I really do dislike not having that Geno moveset. I am, however, working on something from one of my very liked Schooltime Romance Comedy anime, where I will flex out my "design by feel" abilities, to get away from the THING which was my set #1 (still proud of it, though). ... plus something from the Mana series may appear at some point. (!)

@JOE!: Consider for a moment Ivysaur and Charizard.

they do have somewhat intriguing move properties, by at least Sakurai's standards. The shape of the vine whips, the notion of using the flower bulb, the vertical speed changes... and Ivy's ground game with that ftilt. Charizard's FAir's dead hitbox was a new thing on a 'normal', his BAir has three hitbubbles (which poke mainers are still figuring out), UAir is a long-lasting, big, constant damage K.O. box... and dtilt and ftilt relate in an important way with power and safety.

I find it odd to say poke sets are expected to be ... predictable, when the poke set that got poke sets really going, from Sakurai, does have its share of twists and tricks.

Just my opinion though. I know I have a low threshold for being impressed by design. But I'm a details guy.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I thought Fox was heavier than most characters? I don't play enough Foxes, I guess.

Well, he's heavier than Sonic, and falls faster. But not much faster. He's not as floaty as Sonic is, and definitely not as fast. Like DK in a smaller package.

Smady

Smash Master
1) Why is it looked down upon to have simple moves in a poke-set?

2) You praised Octillery, and he had worse offenders for "generic moves" than mence did.
Well, as covered previously in my reply to HR - there's simplicity, then there's just incompetence, which Salamence reeks of. Perhaps it's the best you could do with the character, but I really don't find it to flow at all. That's the problem with Salamence compared to Octillery.

Annnnnd other movesets that do this same thign are not bashed why? Look at Dark bowser. in order to essentially work he needs to get foes in his cage or gas before anything really comes together.

Also, as for imaginative: name 5 other recent MYM sets that did what Salamence did.
Dark Bowser needed to get foes in his cage, but there were a million innovative ways to interact with it, force approaches and fight outside of the cage, though it's not preferable. It's also exactly how he plays in Bowser's Inside Story, down to a tee. Salamence's mechanics are just completely random - for one thing, Outrage is unusable considering it takes five seconds of uninterrupted charging to use. Steel Wing barely relates to its namesake, though my main problem here is that it's pointless to not use it... not like there's anything good about the moveset minus Steel Wing, when every interaction with it benefits the move.

There are only handful of moves that change "dramatically": Dash Attack, Nair, Pummel and Down Smash. Everythign else works just as it did, but with the added bonus of a damage aura/big constant hitbox, as well as becoming more potent as extra wind power is added or a fire element is attached.

Your game stays pretty much the same, but you are just so much more free to go all-out on an opponent just like you would with Salamence in Competitive Pokemon.
Even just three moves is significant when it's all buffs, no nerfs and Steel Wing is an uninterrupted twitch. Sure, these are all pointless buffs with little reasoning, but then you divide the moveset up quite a lot in interacting with Outrage and Steel Wing - if they aren't that important, then why are they relevant alongside ten other moves? They're horrible mechanics, may as well abridge the improvements they make.

I also must say that much of the time, these interactions make the move not terribly short or Sakurai-level generic. Thus, stripping them away leaves a jumbled heap of those inputs alongside the random buffs.

...how does "explaining strategies on how to play" differ from "explain some context in which to play"?
It lacks a greater idea to cling to. The question of, "who is Salamence?" is never answered. I can accept generic inputs, non-creativity and even laziness if there's a really good idea bringing together at the very end, but that just wasn't here. :(

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Yo Smady:
you forgot to rate B.B.Hood. only comments up there.

My mom decided recently that my computer was horribly, horribly infected with viruses. Hers is, after all. And for the strangest reason too - she visits locally hosted websites.
so in her personal crusade to fix my comp, she managed to "corrupt" some files on my computer.

Guess who has to re type his moveset? Again? for the third time now? i haven't forgotten about y'all... but I don't know if I'll ever get this set done. should I give up? Karma apparently doesn't like it very much.

Fun fact: norton found 6 viruses on my computer in it's entire lifespan of 5 months. All 6 were found the day after my mom went on my computer.

Smady

Smash Master
I don't rate newcomer movesets - though I'm not sure that you're brand new, your lack of experience would make it unfair to judge your efforts against MYM veterans like Hyper_Ridley or JOE!

Definitely continue making them if you have the drive, plenty of very good stuff to be found in B. B. Hood.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
not my set.
Was here in MYM7, but haven't submitted in MYM8.

Just was concerned you'd forgotten poor cutter's set.

Smady

Smash Master
Ah, my apologies there, unintended idiocy on my part. But yeah, still, continue driving home the movesets - we'd all appreciate one from you.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Ah, my apologies there, unintended idiocy on my part. But yeah, still, continue driving home the movesets - we'd all appreciate one from you.
eh, like i said. the world has sorta been collapsing around this set i've been working on.

Part of my long, drawn out presentation is simply laziness. Hard to motivate myself to keep rewriting it.

but i do have "part" of it. it's more-or-less the whole set in a rough, unfinished, imageless, colorless form.

I can work off that I guess. though I might just scrap the set and work on one of my concept sets. I have half of a 100-page tab book filled with ideas. BUUUUUUUUUUUT no time or energy to write them all. Maybe i can get some help?

M.D.AWESOME! ARE YOU THERE!?! MYM n00bs UNITE!

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
eh, like i said. the world has sorta been collapsing around this set i've been working on.

Part of my long, drawn out presentation is simply laziness. Hard to motivate myself to keep rewriting it.

but i do have "part" of it. it's more-or-less the whole set in a rough, unfinished, imageless, colorless form.

I can work off that I guess. though I might just scrap the set and work on one of my concept sets. I have half of a 100-page tab book filled with ideas. BUUUUUUUUUUUT no time or energy to write them all. Maybe i can get some help?

M.D.AWESOME! ARE YOU THERE!?! MYM n00bs UNITE!
MYM n00bs UNITED!!! PM ME ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED HELP WITH!!!

JOE!

Smash Hero
I thought Fox was heavier than most characters? I don't play enough Foxes, I guess.

Well, he's heavier than Sonic, and falls faster. But not much faster. He's not as floaty as Sonic is, and definitely not as fast. Like DK in a smaller package.
fox is retardedly light....7-8th lightest in fact, he has the most "fall-weight" though, which makes him oddly hard to KO vertically

Katapultar

Smash Lord
I know the comment wasn't aimed at me, but of you need any help at all starting your moveset Nerherazade, I can be of assistance despite not being a 'n00b', though Im not a pro either.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
http://chiefmendez.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/mts-sunday-recap-episode-44/

Sunday Recap 44 for anyone who may've missed it ;P

Colonel Sanders

Alright, quickfire comment here as it's...four in the morning for me and the Colonel has already gotten enough comments to pretty much cover everything about the set. The set's funny, you know this, you made it that way. Moving on...I like the specials excluding the Side Special. It seems a bit tacked on and could, more or less, be worked into the attacks themselves (except most likely without the different stats). It's nice in theory but it takes up a Special slot and doesn't even explain it particularly well. How long does it take? What's the animation?

Moving right along again, I do like your star system as it's a great way to visually represent the statistics of an attack without having to deal with awkward wording/fact dropping within the move itself. The basic attacks are, as said, fairly basic. While you don't really have a -WHOLE- lot to work with (considering your set is for freakin' Colonel Sanders). It would've been nice (and humorous) to see maybe some moves that involved Sanders commanding his chicken army to attack or something or maybe even a move where he swings his cane into the chickens to smack them into foes. The ledge attack/get-up attacks made me laugh, as did the comical use of wrestling moves for the grabs/throws...but they admittedly seem a tad out of place and more for funny effect.

Overall though, the Colonel is a very, very solid effort as you've obviously seen as he's gotten quite a fair bit of praise. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Also unrelated but, expect a post later today with Moveset Graveyard #4 ;P

Still need to comment Octillery, Dionysus, Sarisa and Gengar
:022:

Top Bottom