• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Animal

Smash Lord
in falcon dittos ccing raptor boost is so ****. the second i hear the startup for it, if im 2 close 2 escape i mash down to crouch cancel so i dont pop up. or i try and side b also so we can hopefully clank. doesnt work everytime but both work

D

Deleted member

FoD is good because you can escape tech chases from shiek by di-ing up onto a platform and crouch cancelling the tilt to buffer jump da *** away

i'm starting to think it's better to go to any other neutral though except yoshis

i don't ban fod against falcons,ganons, most below mid tier characters, samus, falcos, and foxes who don't know how to play on it properly. It's also not bad against IC's to me

some tips on FoD:

you can n-air on FoD if the platforms are "medium" raised if you do not fast fall

PEEF!

Smash Hero
It's also not bad against IC's to me
Yeah, this one can be really good or really bad. Things can get ugly for Falcon if the IC manages to slow you down and make you predictable as you try to work around the plats, but it can also be great for Falcon if he manages to use the plats with safe falling aerials since there is no where for ICs to run when their shield is getting beat on.

D

Deleted member

i'm a weird falcon that can navigate fod pretty well and it ***** when your opponent isn't good on it but it sucks if they are good on it

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
LOL did he really

wow
Actually, I can't say that technically. But it sounds more epic that way.

I think the story I was told was that (Unknown522 told me) Soft was at TGMTSBCO in GA, shortly shortly after Brawl came out. And Soft was kind of miffed because he'd been playing as long as Hungrybox and was frustrated that Hungrybox was performing better with a much more defensive style. So he decided he would henceforth play as gay as possible or something like that.

So then Soft the planker, complete with the gayest defense possible, was born.

So technically it was shortly after Brawl came out. But it still predates actual planking.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i'm a weird falcon that can navigate fod pretty well and it ***** when your opponent isn't good on it but it sucks if they are good on it
yea you gotta be able to move around fluently on FoD or else the platforms will hinder you. Thats why most people suck on FoD because they can't adjust to the moving platforms and small area.

platforms = platform cancelling = lots of aerials at all times

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
lol its so awesome to listen to kirbykazes stories....its more awesome that he lives like 20mins away :D

yo strong bad and d-regulate are either of u going to apex?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
yea you gotta be able to move around fluently on FoD or else the platforms will hinder you. Thats why most people suck on FoD because they can't adjust to the moving platforms and small area.

platforms = platform cancelling = lots of aerials at all times
I'm really good at moving around stages and this is completely true. I'm really technical but I'm terribad at predicting and I'm have a problem with going autopilot when I don't want to. Can I get somehelp with this?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I'm really good at moving around stages and this is completely true. I'm really technical but I'm terribad at predicting and I'm have a problem with going autopilot when I don't want to. Can I get somehelp with this?
So, this is how I see it, at least:

A big aspect about playing smart is just knowing what options are available to both players in various situations, and which options are effective ways to respond to your opponents'. When you are moving around, are you aware of what your opponent can do to approach? What about what he can do if you approach, or if you get near enough to pressure him but not fully commit to an approach? If you get hit or lose an exchange in a way you aren't expecting, and it's not just a spacing error or something, make that adjustment and don't get hit in the same way the next time the situation occurs.

When you force your opponent to tech, are you aware of what methods you have to cover multiple tech options, and how being on a platform/by the edge limits what he can do? Are you considering how your movement can produce tells as to which option are you going to cover, and how you can use this to your advantage?

If you internalize a lot of this stuff you can start to produce reads without doing anything exceptional. It also makes it easier to pick up patterns in your opponent's play if you have a mental framework for evaluating what he's doing.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
hbox planked me at that tournament, kirbykaze

he played weird, cause it seemed like he was avoiding using rest on purpose at times, so i thought he was handicapping himself for pools or something dumb like that, but he still ledgecamped me for pretty much the entirety of our matches

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
hes going to be at a tourney im going to this saturday

ill avenge you

or lose miserably

or avoid playing him

hmm...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
hbox planked me at that tournament, kirbykaze

he played weird, cause it seemed like he was avoiding using rest on purpose at times, so i thought he was handicapping himself for pools or something dumb like that, but he still ledgecamped me for pretty much the entirety of our matches
Wow.

Jigglypuff players are ******s lololol

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Sooo...I'll try miniature descriptions of each top/high tier matchup and people correct me if I'm wrong.

Fox - Approach happy Foxes < run away bair. Finish tech chases. Dash dance camp and space aerials on shield very well(although that could be said for all matchups so I'll just leave it in this one to save typing)

Marth - Finish combos. Avoid grabs. Space like you've never spaced before. Punish stupid stuff with combos that finish. Edgeguard him in whatever way you fancy, just make sure it edgeguards him.

Sheik - CC tilts. Your grab should = death or you lose the match. Don't double jump like a tard, especially at high %s. Don't always CC the jab reset because smart Sheiks hurt you with usmash ;_;

Falco - Find a new main. If that doesn't work, powershield lasers. OverB under high lasers, nair over low lasers. Full hop dair/bair/knee > ledgehop dbl laser. FINISH TECH CHASES. DI away when being pillared.

Peach - Combo her. Don't CC stuff AKA dsmash. Don't jump towards her when she's on a platform. Get grabs. Don't catch the turnips....=(....unless it's a stitch face

IC's - Punch them in the face IRL if they Wobble you. Move your sticks around "intelligently" when being legit CG'd to make it look like you know what you're doing. Dair & overB are Nana's worst nightmare. Don't do either of those on their shield or you're getting grabbed by any competent IC player. Fool around on platforms. I did not say be a fool on the platforms...that'll mean you get hit by uairs/bairs still...

Puff - Space bairs. Try really hard to mindgame her into spacing something stupidly(eh...). Don't be sloppy on the dthrow -> knee or you're eating a rest ;_;...Don't stop believing.

Ganon - Combo him. Don't get hit or you're going to be offstage. That basically means you better space really well. Grabs/nairs are his worst nightmare.

Doc - Combo him like you would Peach kinda. Reverse upB recover more than usual to avoid that silly cape. Use your jurisdiction if getting hit by the pills would be worth it for the situation you're in, if not, nair through them.

Samus - Every move in the game pretty much out prioritizes her missiles lol. Get her above you, then just uair the living hell out of her. Dash dance camping is wayyyy too good in this matchup.

I mainly just felt like typing but still, correct me if I'm wrong ;3

Gooey's new matchup evaluations:
Favorites: Marth, Ganon, Sheik and Samus
Least Favorites: Falco, Puff, Foxes that are tough to tech chase

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I mean the points you made are generally right, but I think you should have left out things like "finish combos" and "finish tech chases" for most of them... because that applies to like every Falcon matchup besides like Jiggs and Samus...

Also "space well" applies to EVERY matchup. Stuff like that is way too generic

Top Bottom