• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Geist

Smash Master
Critiques greatly appreciated :D
Choknater's seems kinda average in that match IMO. Maybe it's just his Falcon.

I'll list a few general pointers.
- Space your moves better. Concentrate on being able to hit him while making yourself unable to be hit.
- Be more mobile. When he approached you/ pressured you, you always spot dodged or did a few moves in place. Dash dance, WD back, WD out of shield, pivot jabs/ ftilts work well.
- Stay out of the air vs. Falcon, his aerials generally beat out yours.
- Don't double jump and follow through with a Dair after he hits you. You'll end up losing your jumps, getting comboed, or gimped.
- Dash attack less, it's an obvious approach, and it'll get you punished if you use it repeatedly.
- Save your grapple for sweetspotting; screw attack is a generally safer option when recovering low. Falcon can edgeguard you easily with the right timing, so don't give him more time to do so by grappling.
- If you do aerials, Nair is usually a better option than Fair. Fair is good with careful spacing, but Nair is a better follow-up, and is a safer option when plaform tech chasing.

DOTA_owns_all

Smash Rookie
Thank you blows toes, I will try to keep some of that in mind next time. Yea and drying to dare him after the double jump really was not a good idea lol.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Thank you blows toes, I will try to keep some of that in mind next time. Yea and drying to dare him after the double jump really was not a good idea lol.
In general you shouldn't use dair much unless its part of a combo or its gauranteed. It sucks to not be able to use it as much as you'd like to, but thats how Samus is.

DOTA_owns_all

Smash Rookie
In general you shouldn't use dair much unless its part of a combo or its gauranteed. It sucks to not be able to use it as much as you'd like to, but thats how Samus is.

T_T yea...

oh samus...

don't worry the next tourny is this weekend and hopefully there will be improvements :D

AntoPark

Smash Lord
Yeah, you have a lot of the problems that I had(still have).
Just work on them one at a time!
Windmill of Fury less, as well, ahha.

Geist

Smash Master
Shield those lasers son

**** first stock in second video.
Super **** regrab.

As far as I can tell, you need more shield.
Can't say much more, SW is good.
But he's flashy and offensive, so shield and UpB out of it is nice.

Magnezone.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Shield those lasers son

**** first stock in second video.
Super **** regrab.

As far as I can tell, you need more shield.
Can't say much more, SW is good.
But he's flashy and offensive, so shield and UpB out of it is nice.

Magnezone.
No johns, but I wasnt too warmed up lol
Thx

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I liked how you kinda just sat there for about a second while waiting to grab him.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
I see Edgeluca posted his set vs Wolf, but he forgot the reason we all hate him in Vancouver. Cause he teams with a Samus who has a Gay style, myself. Check out our last set before we got eliminated. We placed 5th this tournament. We placed as high as 3rd before, and winning this set with 3 close matches would have placed us at 4th. how ever these only 2 matches that we had recorded are good, so please feel free to comment, and/or complain. LOL
AIDS + Edgeluca vs Meta + Tahsis Matches 1 + 2
AIDS + Edgeluca vs Meta + Tahsis Match 3
Match 3 as you can tell was there counter pick stage, but we still had good team chemistry, such as moments like these: 1:37, 2:19, 2:35, 2:53, 3:05
Lol enjoy and please comment.

IMO: we had good team chemistry in areas such as one light Nairs, F-tilts, Up-B out of shield etc. and the second Samus gets good guaranteed hits. That got us some easier breaks vs Jig's. LOL

Edit: This is AIDS, I just realized SpaceFalcon left his account logged on my computer. That solves a lot of the confusion.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I see Edgeluca posted his set vs Wolf, but he forgot the reason we all hate him in Vancouver. Cause he teams with a Samus who has a Gay style, myself. Check out our last set before we got eliminated. We placed 5th this tournament. We placed as high as 3rd before, and winning this set with 3 close matches would have placed us at 4th. how ever these only 2 matches that we had recorded are good, so please feel free to comment, and/or complain. LOL
AIDS + Edgeluca vs Meta + Tahsis Matches 1 + 2
AIDS + Edgeluca vs Meta + Tahsis Match 3
Match 3 as you can tell was there counter pick stage, but we still had good team chemistry, such as moments like these: 1:37, 2:19, 2:35, 2:53, 3:05
Lol enjoy and please comment.

IMO: we had good team chemistry in areas such as one light Nairs, F-tilts, Up-B out of shield etc. and the second Samus gets good guaranteed hits. That got us some easier breaks vs Jig's. LOL

Edit: This is AIDS, I just realized SpaceFalcon left his account logged on my computer. That solves a lot of the confusion.
Wtf you on AIDS

AIDS

Smash Lord
It is so true. Remember that Falcon from Vict when I beat him the tournament before first round in Singles, Rage. Remember Manuel's Crew vs Roby's crew. Roby's crew had all 3 Samus players. Daze Raged.
Remember Yakal the johner, rages at how annoying Samus is. Remember Matt, he hates my Samus cause it is so **** Gay.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
It is so true. Remember that Falcon from Vict when I beat him the tournament before first round in Singles, Rage. Remember Manuel's Crew vs Roby's crew. Roby's crew had all 3 Samus players. Daze Raged.
Remember Yakal the johner, rages at how annoying Samus is. Remember Matt, he hates my Samus cause it is so **** Gay.
Mine's more respectable I guess?
Nah, it made Toph rage hardcore. And Taffy (The Falcon). And Daze. And everyone else here on the island. And others.
And mine isn't even as gay as yours.

abcool

Smash Ace
I always watch the way hugs play and i kinda like how IHSB plays. A thought hit me the other day. What if IHSB and hugs combined there styles. I noticed IHSB have a easier time against marth or land more hits on marth faster than hugs and hugs does better against sheik and jiggs with his defensive style.

I wanna create a new style based off of those 2 styles and see what comes about. Wavelanding to gain mobility and better horizontal movement and shielddashing and poking to get in on turtling players.

How often do you samus players win tourneys in your region?

Geist

Smash Master
Well you have to remember a lot of the times their styles aren't interchangable, like both of them have different solutions to the same problems. I try my best to do spaceball's platform stuff and HugS pressure, but it's honestly less effective to immitate than it is to work out how to solve problems your own way.
Not being preachy, just saying.

As to your second question, well I have KirbyKaze, IB, Raynex, and Unknown522 to compete against, as well as a few handful of less known people who are getting up close to their level. Only Samus main besides me is Omni, and I don't see Lanowen around anymore...
I'm not winning anything anytime soon lol, highest I've ever placed was 12th.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Well you have to remember a lot of the times their styles aren't interchangable, like both of them have different solutions to the same problems. I try my best to do spaceball's platform stuff and HugS pressure, but it's honestly less effective to immitate than it is to work out how to solve problems your own way.
Not being preachy, just saying.
I know what you mean man, you gotta develop your OWN style. It's much more fun that way.

abcool

Smash Ace
That's the point. I am not gonna imitate any of them. Just try wavelanding and shielddashing to get out of certain situations. At the end of the day ppl play differently everywhere, so ofcourse i have to use my own mindgames. I just was using those as the bases of my style.

Corigames

Smash Hero
For the duck

Taking notes as I watch your first video, in case you don't understand my format.

Here we go:
Messed up WD was your first major blunder. Nice spacing and whatnot, just be careful not to let your fingers slip. Stay calm, get the job done.
Good judge of distance on your missile use in avoiding CF's nairs.
I don't know why the falcon didn't go for the edge with you so far away, but good call I guess.
Ow, he punished your grab though, hard. And you missed the tech and got your roll called.
Solid guard.
When you got knocked off and started your bomb jumping, you ended up committed to it and got back-handed. You didn't do anything, even when his double jump brought him barreling right toward you. You could have dodged it what with both your double jump and the grapple still available.
Trading hits, not bad. Showing both of your tech ability. No individual gaining the upper hand.
Very good. Utilt to edge hog. Just the way I like it.
Aww, too bad with the WD again. I think you could have FF'en out of the air dodge a little before using the grapple. I know there isn't a big window there, but I think a grab was still possible. Just intuition telling me that...
Up B out of shield, gets the job done.
Well, aside from some good starting on that life, you got comboed horribly, from one side of the stage to the other because, from what I can tell after re-watching the clip, you DI'ed in the same direction on every hit. Trying mixing it up if you keep getting chained and he may miss, or just nick you, on the next attack.
On the last life, once again, he came at you with the double jump and you just hugged your bomb even though you could have come back after backing away.

In all, though, there isn't too much to complain about. There's some good spacing here, especially at the beginning of the match, but losing 2 of your lives in survivable situations doesn't help. Falcon combos hard and finishes even harder, you have to hit your techs or face punishment after punishment.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 8/10. Good quality.

Geist

Smash Master
Critiquing imo is always easier when you're losing the matches. From what I could tell you weren't doing anything totally wrong, only a few mistakes here and there like your first stock in the facon match... for a patient samus I noticed you don't use your shield that much, but you got away with it because you space well. You got hit a lot when you should have just put up your shield, and you got a lot of damage from Fox's lasers.

On another note, that Juri player sounds like he should be using more fireballs.

Geist

Smash Master
Oh man that Falco plays gaaaaaaaay lmao

So yeah a spammy Falco like that can give you trouble if you don't know what to look for. Notice how when you were standing on the lower platform he couldn't hit you with laser? He had bad laser control so you need to capitalize on things like that. Getting near Falco is a pain in the ***, especially if he won't do it for you, so you need at least get to a point where firing off lasers feels unsafe for him.

You need to be more careful with your UpB OoS. You got baited, bad lmao. If you're not being overwhelmed and can get away with WDing backwards out of shield, or dashing backwards, then do that instead.

You got so many grabs first match, you really should Up Throw fastfallers. If they tech a platform you can proceed to **** at your disgression with Dair, and even follow that up with a bunch of things, notably charge beam.

When Falco's off the stage, make sure you keep him off, or at least rack up as much damage as you possibly can. Homing missile in video 1 was a good idea but you didn't go anywhere from there. Try seeing how far you can go off-stage with a nair and still be able to make it back.

It looked like you were much more confident on Brinstar, which I assume was your counterpick. Notice how much better your movement was? Keep doing that. Don't let yourself turtle in your shield; keep moving, it makes things a lot easier.

1:35 **** death combo. That's how it's done. Do more of that.

duals

Smash Journeyman
Oh man that Falco plays gaaaaaaaay lmao

So yeah a spammy Falco like that can give you trouble if you don't know what to look for. Notice how when you were standing on the lower platform he couldn't hit you with laser? He had bad laser control so you need to capitalize on things like that. Getting near Falco is a pain in the ***, especially if he won't do it for you, so you need at least get to a point where firing off lasers feels unsafe for him.

You need to be more careful with your UpB OoS. You got baited, bad lmao. If you're not being overwhelmed and can get away with WDing backwards out of shield, or dashing backwards, then do that instead.

You got so many grabs first match, you really should Up Throw fastfallers. If they tech a platform you can proceed to **** at your disgression with Dair, and even follow that up with a bunch of things, notably charge beam.

When Falco's off the stage, make sure you keep him off, or at least rack up as much damage as you possibly can. Homing missile in video 1 was a good idea but you didn't go anywhere from there. Try seeing how far you can go off-stage with a nair and still be able to make it back.

It looked like you were much more confident on Brinstar, which I assume was your counterpick. Notice how much better your movement was? Keep doing that. Don't let yourself turtle in your shield; keep moving, it makes things a lot easier.

1:35 **** death combo. That's how it's done. Do more of that.
this helped me too...

Samus is good against falco, but I have a tough time with him...

abcool

Smash Ace
Thanks alot. Wish i got that reply before i went to a smashfest with that same falco yesterday. My falcon game improved though.

Top Bottom