• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Recommended Rule List v2.0 & General Ruleset Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, of COURSE it doesn't help with stock leads. Why should it? ANYONE can get a 1% lead by luck alone, then try to PPlank the timer. It takes more skill to get a STOCK lead than a % lead.

Master JBone07

Smash Cadet
Listen up Smashers!! Here are some links that has some tournament rules (Note: These links are NOT from SmashBoards.com, although when you click on the last link below, scroll down until you see "External links" . This will take you to the SBR Recommended Rule Set version 2.0 (SSBB) that is on SmashBoards.com).:

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSB)

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBM)

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Tournament_legal_(SSBB)

Master JBone07

Smash Cadet
Tournament legal rules

wtf is that, MJB07? I think your links are broken...
Go to www.super-smash-bros.wikia.com, type in the search box Tournament legal, and three links should appear. click on the first "Tournament legal" to read the SSB ruleset, the second for the SSBM ruleset & the third for the SSBB ruleset. If you have any questions, send me a message.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Go to www.super-smash-bros.wikia.com, type in the search box Tournament legal, and three links should appear. click on the first "Tournament legal" to read the SSB ruleset, the second for the SSBM ruleset & the third for the SSBB ruleset. If you have any questions, send me a message.
Ehhhhh, that pretty much links to the same thing that's in the first page. And it's gonna be out-of-date soon, too.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Aw, he's new Kewkky, go easy on him! He was just trying to help. Lol though at the fact that you actually replied nicely.

And I disagree with sneakytako. Port town should be legal. It's a natural instinct to avoid cars.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
All you have to do with the cars is learn the platforms don't necessarily help you in some formations.

I never get hit by them, and am always watching for them in the distance when possible.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
First time I've ever seen him.

PTAD and GG should both be legal imo.

The hazards are all avoidable, just like every other stage with hazard that is legal.
I dont see a problem. You see them coming too.. so. yeah.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
You see them coming too.. so. yeah.
PTAD, sure, I can give you that, and from what I've read in discussions of the stage, I don't see a reason why it should be banned. But how do you see a bomb block that instantaly appears? Who needs to ask a question? You can't see it until it happens, and like I have said in the past pages I think that the bomb space has too much of a constant effect on gameplay for the very fact that bombs appear without warning, and its an interference whether players are hit by the bombs or not.

NNID
Budget_Player
I vote Green greens and port town to be banned.
Your vote does not matter. Jesus when will you people get this. It doesn't matter if you support a stage or not. I'd love to see FD put into counterpick seeing as it's about as balanced as brinstar, but that's obviously never going to happen, and it's slightly more reasonable than banning green greens and PTAD.

All staged should be legal dammit. Let the carnage begin lol.
Eh... not really. Some stages you just have to ban because they cause ridiculously degenerate gameplay. Loop stages for example, or stages with permanent walkoffs and walls.

All you have to do with the cars is learn the platforms don't necessarily help you in some formations.

I never get hit by them, and am always watching for them in the distance when possible.
THIS. Thank you. Learn the stage and it becomes a non-issue.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
I'll say fair call on the blocks that instantly appear above the screen.

They've saved my life countless times from which I should've died.

Other than that I dont see too many problems with the stage.
Me saying that is probably ignorant. But it's what I personally believe.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I don't have a problem with PTAD. I think it'd be a bad stage for Olimar due to there being no ledges, but I'm going to play on it once I find someone willing. Green Greens, on the other hand, I am still against due to how large of an effect the blast zones have on player decisions...for a moment I was tempted to compare it to FD's flatness, but flatness can give a character an advantage, whereas I don't think the same can be said for GG. Characters with a fast aerial out of air dodge maybe? I'm going to start looking for GG gameplay videos and draw some information from that.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoom8000#p/a/u/1/2nRyYCJbjgE @ 1:02 Holms got hit into a falling bomb block, but managed to tech it by the looks. @4:18 Domo flew up into one, got hit, but was not KO'd by it, despite being at over 100% damage. Moments before, Holms had hit a bomb block at around 100% when he messed up where his Phantom was invincible, and also wasn't KO'd.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoom8000#p/u/11/NaL5fldC3p0 Right at the very end, Holms bounced the apple off the ground, it flew just high enough to hit the bomb block as Domo flew over it to hit Holms with a glide attack, and was promptly KO'd.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoom8000#p/u/34/-p_wgqiwhWY I believe neither Mr.Doom or Domo got hit accidentally by a bomb block once this whole game. There were a few intended times though, like at 0:45 when Mr.Doom aethered the blocks, which hit a bomb block, which hit Domo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoom8000#p/search/1/iXkhKwStIi4 @ 0:37: Why Eruption is awesome. >_> <_< @ 1:03, first time I've seen what appears to be an accidental KO through a bomb block on this channel. @ 1:33 Bomb blocks were actually used to save Mr.Doom when he would have normally died (though he still dies a few seconds later) @ 1:49: another bomb KO. Caused by Mr.Doom recovering, and Domo being too close. @2:25: Domo got hit with bombs by being stupid. Seeing as they were grounded, and Mr.Doom was on the other side of the stage, you can't blame the stage or his opponent on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDoom8000#p/search/1/r_IvDsTp-ec Bonus clip as to why Eruption is awesome on Green Greens. :D

But honestly: in those videos, I fail to see how this stage is bad for being competitive. The vast, vast majority of the time, the bomb explosions are either player stupidity, being outplayed, or failing to react in time.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'd still like to look up some more videos; everyone but Falco in those videos has a sword with good reach which I imagine makes the stage a tad easier. I am less strong in my stance, but I'm not quite ready to say the stage should be allowed.

Master JBone07

Smash Cadet
Norfair should be a banned stage if it isn't already. I mean, come on now!! Lava waves that come from one side, then the background, then the other side? That's why Norfair should be banned, if it isn't already.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No items are used in an actual competitive game of Brawl. Seriously dude, you've been asking a lot of questions that should have been answered by following the link in the first post of this topic.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Like Nidtendo said, no items are allowed, therefore meaning that Smash Balls will never appear and Final Smashes are not a part of competitive play. I suggest that you read the rules again, and refer to them first when you have a question. I'm all for being helpful, but you really can find a lot of these answers on your own.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Why does everyone complain about Sonic's Final Smash which you can at least run away from/spotdodge a couple of times? :( Poor Sonic
No one ever complains about the StarFox's Landmasters which can easily take off two stocks on any neutral/counterpick stage. You can't even plank them since they can hover under the ledge and then bring you up

/rage

On topic: The cars are really very easy to avoid on PTAD. If the group of people I play with who I regularly 3 stock with my Ganon when they use the likes of MK and Marth know when and where the cars are coming, I'm fairly certain the more skillful players can avoid them

I can see the issues PTAD brings about though, such as the extreme hazards camping/sitting by the stage boundries in sections where the boundries are extremely close to the stage itself

If someone throws you into the cars though...isn't that the point of a Counterpick stage?

Life

Smash Hero
Why does everyone complain about Sonic's Final Smash which you can at least run away from/spotdodge a couple of times?
1. Break Smash Ball.
2. Move Super Sonic on top of opponent's character. When spotdodge is over, they'll be hit into the air.
3. Go after them, make sure you're on top of them when they end the inevitable airdodge.
4. Repeat 2-3 until stocked.

IDK how well this works on pros but that's how I've always used it.

codefelp

Smash Cadet
1. Break Smash Ball.
2. Move Super Sonic on top of opponent's character. When spotdodge is over, they'll be hit into the air.
3. Go after them, make sure you're on top of them when they end the inevitable airdodge.

Well, it wouldn't really matter, seeing how smash balls aren't used in the competitive scene anyways.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
1. Break Smash Ball.

I saw M2K get three stocked one time because of this.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Like, just lost without taking a stock or actually lost three stock from one Final Smash? Being M2K I'd assume the former. Or did Sonic get multiple smash balls?
I'm sorry, I was being snyde, which is something I normally don't do. The tongue-in-cheek was that, like codefelp said, items (Smash Balls included) are not used in tournaments.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I hate how turning items on could solve so many problems, but also change the game quite a lot as well.

There are so many random aspects and properties in this game (Turnips, waddle dees, 9-Hammer, misfires, tripping and moves that cause tripping, etc) that I'm beginning to believe Item standard play, by creating a universal set of possible, random attacks given the right situations, would help balance the game rather than unbalance it.

I hate the idea of having two players at high percents on their last stocks standing at opposite ends of FD, and then having something like a Green Shell appear next to one of them to give them the edge, but I'd rather be outplayed that way than having a trip punished by an infinite chaingrab.

EDIT:

Here's another way to look at it.

Situation A: Metaknight has a percent lead and is planking you.
Situation B: Metaknight has a percent lead and an item just appeared at his feet.

Which situation would you prefer to be in?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Depends on the item. If it was a starman, I would probably just jump off the ledge to save myself the trouble. If it was a food item, I'd rather he grab that then be planking.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Depends on the item. If it was a starman, I would probably just jump off the ledge to save myself the trouble. If it was a food item, I'd rather he grab that then be planking.
Read the OP of Jack Kieser's 'Item Standard Play' thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164675

But if you tl:dr

NEUTRAL ITEMS:

(Sandbag) (Food) (Warp Star) (Bunny Hood) (Beam Sword) (Lip’s Stick) (Star Rod) (Super Scope) (Fire Flower) (Motion Sensor Bomb) (Freezie) (Smoke Ball) (Pitfall) (Mr. Saturn) (Green Shell) (Banana Peel) (Franklin Badge) (Screw Attack)

COUNTERPICK ITEMS:

(Assist Trophy) (Dragoon) (Metal Box) (Home-Run Bat) (Hammer) (Ray Gun) (Cracker Launcher) (Gooey Bomb) (Hothead) (Spring) (Unira)

BANNED ITEMS:

(Smash Ball) (Pokeball) (Containers) (Blast Box) (Maxim Tomato) (Heart Container) (Super Mushroom) (Poison Mushroom) (Starman) (Superspicy Curry) (Lightning) (Fan) (Golden Hammer) (Bob-Omb) (Smart Bomb) (Deku Nut) (Bumper) (Soccer Ball)
And as far as I understand it, neutral items are always on, and after each match, both players select a counterpick item to add to the list.

EDIT: Before you argue the list, read the OP of Jack's thread. It has justification for all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom