• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Thinking of joining the Pro Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, I finally got some sleep, so here's my full reply to your post, AA. I hope it's to your liking, and I'll elaborate on anything you feel needs it. Enjoy. ^_^

Yeah, the MLG did the community a lot of good.

Jack Kieser, I don't know if I've ever actually posted my item views in a forum topic with you around. Perhaps you'll have an interesting response.

My view on what constitutes a ban is disallowing a choice to the player that is otherwise a natural part of the game.
Ok, an interesting notion. Let me look at that to make sure I agree, since it's at the core of your post. In order for this to be true, the CONVERSE must also be true; if something is not banned, it is free to be chosen by the player. This infers some interesting points, as we could easily say that metagame can create bans that our ruleset does not simply by disallowing choice; for instance, we could say that the threat of D3 effectively bans DK. This brings up other problems in semantics (such as the fact that DK is SELECTABLE on the screen, you just should never pick him against a D3), though. Suffice it to say that I think your supposition is sound enough for this post, but I do not agree that it is 100% accurate; plenty of things, both player created and not, disallow choice, and simply disallowing a choice isn't, in and of itself, a bad thing.

Players may freely pick characters independent of the choices of the opponent. If we banned Meta Knight, that free choice would be lesser since one choice would be removed. Regardless of whether it's a good idea, disallowing the choice of Meta Knight obviously would qualify as a ban. Stages are a bit murkier. Players do "pick" stages, but one player's choice forces the other to play on that stage as well. We devised a somewhat complex system to facilitate selection of stages throughout a match that ultimately puts the choice in the hands of players. Therefore, I feel disallowing the selection of particular stages is a "ban" in the same spirit that disallowing a character is, and I fight to ensure as many stages are legal as I can. I do, after all, agree that bans should be a measure of last resort and agree that virtually every real tournament bans simply too many stages (even the "liberal" ones don't really give a fair shake to unclear stages like Onett, but I digress).
Since most of this relates to the first section, I'll leave it as-is. My thoughts on stage bans (well, bans in general) are well-documented in this thread, and others.

Items are different. They're a passive part of every match, and within the settings menu you can change which items randomly appear and how frequently they appear. By their very nature, items are not something you "pick" but rather a match setting. Item settings are more analogous to the choice between time, stock, or coin mode than the choice between which characters to use and stages to play on.
Ah, ha! The meat of the post. Here is where I'll discuss your thoughts on stages. "Why here, and not the section of the post that DEALS with stages?" you might ask. "Why talk about stages in the section about items?" Well, AA has tried to reconsile our policies for stage bans by explaining why EXACTLY stages can be considered banned or not, but that reason is a METAGAME reason, not a reason inherent to BRAWL itself, as it was designed. Let me elaborate.

AA's reasoning is that stages can be banned because stages can be picked by the player, more specifically, because they can be picked to the advantage of a player, much in the same way that a character can. Playing against IC's? Pick Rainbow Cruise. Using Falco? Try going to Japes. HOWEVER, the REASON this is the case is because of our counterpick system, something that ISN'T inherent to Brawl! You see, in the course of a vanilla match, one that is devoid of ANY of our rules, a match could be played on any stage, picked or NOT picked. Picking stages is not actually inherent to anything, since you could just set the game to pick all stages randomly anyway. Our reliance on picking stages to help during a matchup is just as much a metagamed ruleset choice as playing stock matches.

Now, how does this relate to items? Simple. We WANTED stages to matter in our matches, simply, because stages are inherent to Brawl; no other fighting game (at least that I know of) has stages that affect the outcome of a match the same way that Brawl's stages do, so we created the stage counterpick system to preserve the use of stages in our competitive metagame. Why did we need to do this? Because some stages are just too influential to keep around, and as soon as we realized we needed a way to remove certain stages, we realized that we ALSO needed a way to CATALOG certain stages based on amount of influence on the match... hence, the N/CP/B system of stage selection that we have now.

Items COULD (and, based on the findings of the ISP thread(s), DO) work on the same premise. Items are a facet of Brawl that are unique to our game's experience. No other fighters, save for maybe weapon-based fighters, like Soul Calibur, have a mechanic as unique as items that spawn mid-match. In the interest of preserving the original integrity of the game, as well as in the interest of only banning things when necessary, it would be in our best interest to keep them in the game. Oh! But, lo and behold, there are some items that are just TOO influential. Now, we realize that we need a way to remove certain items, and also a way to CATALOG certain items based on amount of influence on the match... hence, a N/CP/B system of ITEM selection that COULD have been implemented in the Melee days, had containers been able to be turned off, and had we been less heavy-handed.

Traditional fighter culture strongly supports playing games with default settings. However, even a casual inspection of the game reveals that default item settings are simply broken. It's just way too random; a timer appears, and you can grab it for a high chance of instantly going up a stock with a small chance of instantly going down a stock (and a small chance of it being mostly irrelevant). That's just unacceptable for a lot of obvious reasons, and there are major problems with a lot of other items with the Timer just being the most obviously broken. At the point we deviate from the default item settings, I personally feel any other settings are equally arbitrary.
That is true... to an extent. When you ACTUALLY sit down and think about the rules that are implemented, EVERYTHING we make is arbitrary. Why 8 minutes, and not 7? Why 4 stock, or 3 stock? Why 2-out-of-3? Why double-elim? Why do we use Dave's Stupid Rule? Why DON'T we use stamina? And that's JUST the settings WE can control! Why did Sakurai choose this move to have 15 BKB? Why not 16? Why is the angle of one move 120 deg.? Why not 121?

In ANY competitive game, hell, in ANY game at all, EVERY SETTING IS ARBITRARY. That's actually the POINT of game design! Create an arbitrary construct of rules and conditions, and let people compete to see who is the best at completing the challenge of conquering the set of rules. Who, essentially, can push the buttons the way Sakurai says to in the best way? Who is the best lab rat? The fact that we have FUN is irrelevant; we are competiting rats, vyying for the same stimulus response as Pavlov's dogs. Which buttons we push to make us salivate is, at the end of the day, meaningless.

The game 1 ISP settings are arbitrary equally as much as the current tournament standard settings of "all to off" and "none" spawn rate are. I have little to no doubt that ISP's item rules are overall fair. There are probably hundreds of fair item setting configurations, some of which doubtless allow even more items than ISP. In fact, I suspect that even something like a Smash Ball may not be truly broken; the battle over the ball itself and clever evasive tactics could very well lead to balanced gameplay, and the fact that the Final Smashes wildly vary in quality is obviously irrelevant in the same sense we don't need to ban anything because Snake's moveset is pretty much better than Ganondorf's in every meaningful way. Even if the Smash Ball ends up dominating matches, that's not necessarily bad; it could be that fights in which final smashes are the most important thing are still fair in a true competitive sense.
And here is the crux of the discussion. Out of the, literally, MILLIONS of potential combinations of rules and settings that are allowed in Brawl, which combination is the one that we deem most important, or most balanced, or most ANYTHING? Again, my thoughts are well-documented: that is not OUR place, as players, to decide. Those with a stake in winning the game have a conflict of interest with the rules themselves, and so they can never be able to decide such things. For a more DETAILED, and more relevant, explanation, however... you'll have to wait for my post in BPC's thread in Brawl Tactical, entitled "What IS competitive Smash?" which should be done sometime... soon? (^_-)

I see the following advantages to the current standard for items:
I will respond to each in kind.

-It's very easy to understand. Everything off and the spawn rate to none is very simple to remember and explain.
Interesting, considering our STAGE counterpick system is VERY hard for first-time players to understand, especially the part on WHY, exactly, we are giving an advantage to the LOSER of a match. Many of Brawl's current rules are plenty difficult to explain. I imagine all of the facets of high-level Ryu play are hard for first-time SFIV players, too. Just because the rule is COMPLEX doesn't mean it isn't a GOOD rule; the converse, of course, is also true.

-The majority of the community strongly prefers this.
Irrelevant. Players are biased, and what they "feel" should have NO bearing on the rules. If they don't like Brawl for what it is, they should play another game. If I am in the mood to play a tactical turn-based RPG, I'll play Fire Emblem, not Tales of Symphonia, and it's wrong of me to berate Tales as a bad game just because it's not what I'm looking for.

-It is likely, but not clearly, close to the best in terms of making the game competitively deep. Most items make characters more generic; if every character has a Beam Sword, every character is that much more similar to each other. Items make the game more random even if not necessarily brokenly so as well, which is very related.
Also irrelevant. First of all, we can never KNOW what choices of rules make the "best" game, and that's also not for us to decide. We play the game we are GIVEN, and if we don't like it, we play another game. Telling this to the co-creator of Balanced Brawl, this might be a little lost on you (as OBVIOUSLY you disagree; if you agreed with this sentiment, you wouldn't have made a total-conversion mod), however. By the way, I haven't played ANYTHING but Balanced Brawl outside of a tournament setting ever since your first release. ^_^ It's all that's ever active on my copy of Brawl. You and Thinkaman have done a TREMENDOUS job, and I salute you both; your hard work makes my days of Brawling better.

-It's a "safe" choice. We know the game is for the most part not a broken game with these settings. With other settings we have no such guarantee.
We know NOTHING about the true nature of the game with these settings. With these settings, the game is campier, and much slower. Also, tactics such as PPlanking are OBVIOUSLY the best; if we don't make rules to stop it, I think it would be hard to argue that a tactic that has 1 (if even THAT) frame of vulnerability ISN'T the best.

I sympathize with the desire to see as much of the game represented in tournament play as possible, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from. ISP's rules, to me, aren't less arbitrary than the current tournament standard when it comes to how much is "banned" or not, and I feel the "items are banned" common statement is just sloppy speech that isn't really fair in describing the situation. I will admit that items were never given a chance from as soon as it was clear that the default settings were unacceptable (it was obvious very early!), but I still feel the end result is fairly reasonable.
Respectfully, I'll agree to disagree. Obviously, the reasons are outlined in full above. It is my personal thought that when a game is presented to you, you play it and change as little as necessary, if it ever BECOMES necessary. With that in mind, regardless of the inherent biases that we come with after playing Smash the same way for over 7 years, changing as few settings as possible is the best outcome, and with that, it means that turning off 15 items is better than turning them all off. Same with stages, and obviously with characters. If we are to ever have the hope of justifying to ourselves to turn off as few stages as possible, then we would only be hypocrites if we ever thought that turning off all items automatically would be a justified action.

As per your statements about the BBR, I'll say that those of us engaged in stage discussion are doing our best to ensure the best result we can, and some of us do indeed have great concerns about transparency. I don't know exactly how an eventual future rule set from the BBR is going to be released and am not at liberty to discuss the activities of the BBR, but I can give you my word that I'll do everything I can to ensure things are as transparent as possible to the greater public. The private room is a necessary evil in order to prevent populist ramblings and grandstanding from being effective tactics in policy and to ensure decisions are decently informed and actually not just "whatever the community prefers". Believe me, I would really love it if we could just have these discussions in public with everyone giving their fair piece. However, I understand the politics and the nature of the community well enough to understand why that can't work, and I hope you can understand that at least some of us if not most of us really are "good guys" trying our best to ensure the best for everyone.
Well, that's all political stuff, so I won't comment. With level-headed people such as yourself in the room, I can't say I'm too worried... however, as I said, any system that uses players to make rulesets is inherently flawed. The BBR has done good work in the past, but I cannot accept a system that allows a conflict of interest like THAT to rest at its heart. And, that's all I'll say about that.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Why do I keep on reading these stupid *** threads?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
well to be fair Kaiser banning items because 90% of the community (and its probably closer to 99) will chose to go to a tournament with items banned is valid reason for banning them because they increase turnout. If no one goes to an item tournament what good does having items legalized do?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well, that's just acting like babies. "Boo hoo" to those players, then. If an item tournament is good enough for M2K, Inui, and many other top pro players, it's good enough for YOU. Besides, it's not like a TO starts off with ISP only right off the bat. Ease it in: side tournaments, extra events, sponsored events, stuff like that. I guarantee you, promise a multi-hundred $ pot, and they will come.

Players LOVE that money.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Holy ****, people, items are not banned. They are turned off and set to none. If we had actually banned items, they would still appear in the field, we just wouldn't be allowed to utilize them, and matches that they had inadvertently compromised would be discarded. That's what an item ban would look like. It would look nothing like what the smash community actually does.

What actually happens is that we play a particular game. Call it Smash!without items. This is a way of playing the game that is programmed into the very game itself. It does not circumvent designer's intent, because the ability to play this way if we so choose is designer's intent. We do not play Smash!with items but then ban the items. That is not at all what we play. Just because A and C do not equal B, does not mean A equals C.

Now, some people prefer to play Smash!with items. There is nothing wrong with that; it is a legitimate way to play the game, and it can be perfectly competitive. But there's really only one problem with it, and Jack Kieser has even alluded to this. It's not as popular. It doesn't really matter that the majority of people who do not prefer it are scrubs who have no idea what they're talking about. The fact remains that there is less money in competitive Smash!with items, and so fewer people play it competitively. For this reason, is Smash!without items the accepted standard.

Saying that playing without items is effectively a ban on items is a false claim that is ultimately no less biased and prejudiced than those that greet Jack with jeers of "oh, you're the items guy." Those who prefer to play without items and gladly say they support the "item ban" do themselves a disservice, and should probably shut up before they dig themselves any deeper. Those who prefer to play with items and say they are opposed to the "item ban" should be ashamed of themselves.
------------------------------------------------------------
All that said, the Smash Community is still unnecessarily preoccupied with banning things that it simply wishes to ban. Certainly, circle camping should be excised. I don't think anyone would argue against that once they're shown just how degenerate it is. However, I've yet to be convinced that gap camping (Jungle Japes, Green Greens sans blocks), Wall Camping (Corneria, Onett) and Walk-off Camping (Eldin, Mario Circuit) are truly and completely broken. Many of them were banned as knee-jerk reactions to something that was powerful in the early metagame, but wasn't known to be broken.

Moreover, banning infinites is silly. Limiting them to prevent excessive stalling is fine, but outright banning them demonstrates an embarrassing lack of fortitude on the part of anyone that sets the ban.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Hey guys, I just had a great idea. What if, in chess, every 5 turns, a pawn was placed randomly on the board and the first person to get to it could use it? I mean, it's not a queen that's gonna win you the game automatically, just a pawn. I should submit that idea to the national chess association or whatever they have. They'd all love me. No doubt they'd think it would make their game better.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
what Reigun said.

And Jack no it isn't good enough for me. and how many local tournaments are going to have a garunteed pot with items?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think Reigun makes a terrible point. This isn't like suggesting Chess players change their game, it's like suggesting they try out Settlers of Catan. Some of them may genuinely enjoy it. Those who scoff without giving the game a chance probably aren't that great at it to begin with.

Reizilla

No, it's like, why throw in more factors that aren't completely player-controlled? If you want to play with items on, then by all means, go for it. But it's still deviating from an absolute controlled environment. And obviously, it's not preference for most people, so it's by no means a godsend.

NNID
Budget_Player
Hey guys, I just had a great idea. What if, in chess, every 5 turns, a pawn was placed randomly on the board and the first person to get to it could use it? I mean, it's not a queen that's gonna win you the game automatically, just a pawn. I should submit that idea to the national chess association or whatever they have. They'd all love me. No doubt they'd think it would make their game better.
No, it's like, why throw in more factors that aren't completely player-controlled? If you want to play with items on, then by all means, go for it. But it's still deviating from an absolute controlled environment. And obviously, it's not preference for most people, so it's by no means a godsend.

All right, first of all, one pawn in chess is, at higher levels, often the game. If both players are doing everything they can do make no mistake, and then someone gets an advantage, that's often the game right there. You can often pinpoint the place the game goes downhill, and it's usually one unfavorable trade, or one pawn given to the opponent. This is like... well, an item that takes off 2 stocks and does 60% to the last one. You still have a chance at winning if you were playing super safe before, but the game is virtually over for you.

Second of all, Chess is not a game that is inherently built to be random. It is, in fact, possible to run a "perfect game"–there is the perfect move for each situation; they just haven't all been found yet. Sooner or later though, it's going to be determined how chess works, and we'll be able to say concretely, "white wins" or "black wins" (more likely the former). Smash... well, 4 characters, tripping, almost every stage, and items. To remove the randomness, you have to gut the game and then hack the engine. There's little denying that the developers intended for "ability to react to random events" to be a critical skill in the smash player's arsenal. A completely player-controlled environment is not something to strive for when playing smash-smash is not a game built for that.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Second of all, Chess is not a game that is inherently built to be random. Smash... well, 4 characters, tripping, almost every stage, and items. To remove the randomness, you have to gut the game and then hack the engine. There's little denying that the developers intended for "ability to react to random events" to be a critical skill in the smash player's arsenal. A completely player-controlled environment is not something to strive for when playing smash-smash is not a game built for that.
This. Smash is pretty random. Even if you only played on FD, you'd still have the chance of running into Luigi, G&W, Peach or DDD.

Hell, it's kind of absurd to suggest a fighting game in general shouldn't have random elements. Just take a look at Guilty Gear, one of the, if not the, most balanced fighting games in history has Zappa, whose playstyle is randomly determined, and Faust, who has a projectile that is randomly anything from a bomb with a hitbox that covers almost half the screen, to a candy bar that gives 100% meter to the first person to touch it. Guilty Gear doesn't suffer for having these characters. Why should Smash really suffer all that much from having randomness?

Reizilla

But it's all good because another pawn will spawn in another 5 turns. Just hold fort and maybe it'll fall right into your lap.

But the difference between tripping and random items is: you can turn off items BY CHOICE OF THE DEVELOPERS. You don't have to do anything special, just hit a couple of buttons. If you want to be a competitive player, you want to win based as much off of skill as possible. If you can eliminate a factor that compromises that, you do that. Smash or no Smash, you want a fair playing field. If you're not playing to win, don't talk about making rules. If you're playing to win, you don't want to win/lose based off of something that's just about out of your control in almost every way. It's as simple as that. If you're johning about "this is how smash was intended to be played," you're wrong. Because Smash was intended as a party game. Or you can see it as "smash was built with options and you're free to play it with whatever options you want on/off".

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yeah, the "DEVELOPER DIDN'T INTEND FOR THIS" argument is kinda flawed. Basically, you're saying default rules are the only rules that should be played. Which means 2 minute non-stock games. If Sakurai didn't intend for us to turn off items, then why is there an item switch? Why is there a random stage switch in the game. I'm sure Sakurai was thinking "I'LL JUST PUT THIS HERE, BUT I SUUUUUURE HOPE NOONE USES IT!". Right.

What is the difference between merely changing Time to Stock, or changing items on to items off? there isn't any. it's all options Sakurai gave us.

Why are we having this 8 year old argument again? This was settled long ago... items are random. Competition shouldn't have random elements. Nuff ****in said!

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm not even going to RESPOND to Rei-gun, because I don't respond to stupid posts. Stop being a troll and use your OWN brain when you try to make an argument; don't think it isn't obvious that you're regurgitating 7 year old arguments that you don't even entirely understand yourself.

Anth0ny, you're doing slightly better, so I'll at least RESPOND to you.

Yeah, the "DEVELOPER DIDN'T INTEND FOR THIS" argument is kinda flawed. Basically, you're saying default rules are the only rules that should be played. Which means 2 minute non-stock games.
THAT IS NOT, NOT, NOT, emphatically NOT what is being discussed! THIS is why people who haven't made games cannot use the "developer's intent" argument: because you don't even know what it MEANS. And you CAN'T know, until you are put into that developer's position yourself.

What is being discussed is whether players have the capability, the perspective, the wisdom to be able to dissect a COMPLETE GAME and still call the component parts stable.

"Default rules only" is NOT the argument. It was NEVER the argument. STOP SAYING that it was the argument. You are RUINING a perfectly good discussion.

If Sakurai didn't intend for us to turn off items, then why is there an item switch? Why is there a random stage switch in the game. I'm sure Sakurai was thinking "I'LL JUST PUT THIS HERE, BUT I SUUUUUURE HOPE NOONE USES IT!". Right.
Ok, you need to learn a very important lesson: the world does not revolve around us. This game WAS NOT CRAFTED FOR US. It was crafted for an impossibly large audience. Why do you assume that Sakurai put the item / stage selects in for us? Maybe he put them in for the casuals! Maybe he thought "You know, the pro players are good enough to deal with all of this stuff I'm throwing at them, because this is supposed to be played like a sport, by athletes. Casuals, they might not be able to handle it, so I should let them turn all of this stuff off."

Did you ever consider THAT? Just because there are options in the game, that does NOT mean that they were put there for US, specifically, to use. Was SSE built for us? Was Wi-Fi built for us? Was the stage builder made for us? You aren't Sakurai, so you can't make that judgment. THAT is the crux of the "developer's intent" argument: that those who don't develop games CAN'T think like a developer, so how can they possibly guess what they think like?

What is the difference between merely changing Time to Stock, or changing items on to items off? there isn't any. it's all options Sakurai gave us.

Why are we having this 8 year old argument again? This was settled long ago... items are random. Competition shouldn't have random elements. Nuff ****in said!
And that is a FALSE basis. What YOU don't understand is that your ENTIRE premise of "competition shouldn't have random elements" is NOT PROVEN. It's a PREFERENCE, but it's not CONCRETE FACT. It's NEVER been proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt. Melee players said that they didn't WANT random elements, and they used it to justify all of their scrubby bans, but they did not PROVE that they were right.

Let that sink in.

8 years ago, those players used a false premise that they just made up to justify being scrubs.

NNID
Budget_Player
But it's all good because another pawn will spawn in another 5 turns. Just hold fort and maybe it'll fall right into your lap.
And it's still chess, a non-random game. Playing that is closer to just picking up and playing backgammon.

But the difference between tripping and random items is: you can turn off items BY CHOICE OF THE DEVELOPERS. You don't have to do anything special, just hit a couple of buttons. If you want to be a competitive player, you want to win based as much off of skill as possible. If you can eliminate a factor that compromises that, you do that. Smash or no Smash, you want a fair playing field. If you're not playing to win, don't talk about making rules. If you're playing to win, you don't want to win/lose based off of something that's just about out of your control in almost every way. It's as simple as that. If you're johning about "this is how smash was intended to be played," you're wrong. Because Smash was intended as a party game. Or you can see it as "smash was built with options and you're free to play it with whatever options you want on/off".
Indeed. And this is why items or no items is a preference. As phoot said, we don't ban items, we turn them off. Not because we should or need to, but because we want to. I find this somewhat justified in a way; no matter how competitive the game is, there's no way a player would play it if they found it outright unfun unless they were one of the few very top players getting thousands off of nationals. It's not really a ban, it's a setting. Just like 3-stocks, 1v1/2v2, and are preferred above 4-way free-for alls (that do hold potential to be competitive, even if this potential never fulfills itself)-we prefer it that way.

However, the question is, when does it go from "play it how you want" to "gutting elements of the game with bans"? Characters for sure-we don't ban characters because every character was designed for normal use in 1v1s, including metaknight by the way. Stages? I'm going to argue that yes, we ban stages. We don't switch them off. There is no "turn off stages" switch, unless you want to point to the random select switch, but that's a weak argument.

This I agree with.

No, not really. We haven't shown that randomness is bad for the game, or that it isn't an inherent part of the game that needs to be respected. We can say, "we prefer playing brawl with items turned off", but we can never say "Brawl with items off is a more competitive, more balanced game than brawl with items on". We don't have the knowledge.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the fact that randomness shouldn't be in competitive play was a general consensus arrived at because most players agreed that the game was more fun without them and tournaments determined the more skilled player without them.
as far as being a competitive game goes, turning items off has impossible to determine effects upon the competitiveness. and no, you cannot justify the notion that banning things based on preference is wrong, much like you can't prove anything is right or wrong. huzzah for logic.
P.S. trying to make brawl into a competitive game with just a ruleset makes me LOL

additionally, Daigo is ThatGuyYouMightKnow.

Pepperz

Smash Cadet
Why do we not use a round ball in football by now. That game is to random for me to even watch because the ball can bounce any which way.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
That... that just makes me SAD, though. BPC, why are you making me sad? I blame you for this! *anger anger*

... ... ... ^_- (\/)

I'm still waiting for AA's response to my monster post, too.

chaosmaster1991

Smash Apprentice
...can we get the intelligent posters back in here? We were having SUCH a good discussion...
I doubt I count, but whatever...

As we don't know what the original intent was for how to play Brawl competitively (if there was one), and also concluded that there is more than one possible ruleset that can be descirbed as balanced and furthermore have the obvious choice to "design" the game in a way we want, wouldn't it make sense to develop a number of rulesets and just use all of them?
As in, the first round of a tourney would be played with the ruleset we currently have, the second round with ISP, the third with a timer instead of stocks... you get the idea.

Pepperz

Smash Cadet
The intent of the game was to have fun. There is no specific way the game was meant be played by the game desinger. The people that say ban items because they deemed them random and unbalance are ******** but if you ban items because of preference, thats another thing.

I dont see why Keiser and BPC are so hard at work on trying to convice the majority of the community that there way of playing is so wrong, when that is just what we prefer. If you want to hold item tournament, go right on ahead but to convert everybody to your beleif on how the game should be played is crazy.

NNID
Budget_Player
The intent of the game was to have fun. There is no specific way the game was meant be played by the game desinger. The people that say ban items because they deemed them random and unbalance are ******** but if you ban items because of preference, thats another thing.
We don't ban items. Stop saying we do. We turn them off. There's a difference.

I dont see why Keiser and BPC are so hard at work on trying to convice the majority of the community that there way of playing is so wrong, when that is just what we prefer. If you want to hold item tournament, go right on ahead but to convert everybody to your beleif on how the game should be played is crazy.
We're trying to bring this game closer to what is actually brawl. Look at the average tournament and you have:
-Bans on tons of stages, many unjustified
-Bans on tons of strategies, many unjustified
-Bans on characters (I saw one tournament where MK and Snake were banned and I put a head-shaped dent in my writing table), ALL REALLY UNJUSTIFIED

We're not trying to convince you to play brawl a different way beyond following the principle of "only ban what you absolutely have to" (if you disagree with this incredibly basic tenant of video game balancing, then please-just get the **** out and read some god**** Sirlin). We aren't saying, "now we want tournaments with 4-way free-for-alls on all stages with all items on and set to high spawn rate". In fact, I personally don't want that; I am not a fan of free-for-alls or items. What we're saying is, "you have this way of playing brawl, but you have to get off the idea that it is the only way to play brawl competitively". Or at least, that's what I'm saying. In a game with so many options, for some reason we all decided that stock+timer, 1v1, no items, final destination, fox only was the best way to play, and now we basically support that... even though there's no true proof that it is the best way, other than tradition (which is no proof).

We can say "we like it the best this way"; after all, as long as we don't "ban" anything (remember, we don't ban items, we turn them off-it's an in-game switch as an option!), the settings are completely arbitrary and can be configured however we want. And if most of the community agrees that no items and stock+time is the best way to play, so be it-it's a possibility. If they decide, however, "no, we really don't like interactive stages" or "no, we really don't like metaknight", that doesn't mean they can ban them. That's not ****ing with settings in-game; that's playing a completely different game (yes, when you ban a stage/character, you might as well play a brawl hack instead that does not have that stage/character on the stage/character select screen, that is what you are doing), and this is a competitive no-no unless there is ample proof that the game is considerably better with this ban.

In the cases of stages like temple with "hard circles" for perfect circle camping, and Wario Ware, with its completely arbitrary payoff system for the minigames, both provide a strategy or method to completely mitigate player skill, and must be banned. There is no way to play this game competitively if every stage is legal. So we ban them for the good of the metagame. But the moment the stage becomes even remotely questionable (by remotely I mean pretty **** remotely; remember the thread about Mario Circuit a while back?), it needs to be legal and tested conclusively to prove it is broken. Stages are by default legal and must be proven broken.

Reizilla

...can we get the intelligent posters back in here? We were having SUCH a good discussion...
If you want intelligent discussion, you should leave. At least BPC knows that he's only argueing preference as well. You're basically arguing morals. It's ridiculously hard to change that thought process, especially with people like JK (haha. JK because he's a joke) talking down on everything. Either way, preference will end up deciding this game because people don't give two ****s about respecting the game, obviously.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Arguing morals? Since when did I argue morals? I'm arguing STANDARDS. There's a BIG difference. As a matter of standards, you do not ban things without a **** good reason. This isn't a Smash thing, this isn't a videogames thing, this isn't a sports thing, this is a COMPETITION thing. Contests of ANY kind work this way; the fact that Sirlin said it doesn't mean that this is a concept that is special for gaming.

If you don't want to be a part of a community that has basic standards for its own conduct that prevent its members from acting like children and banning everything in sight just because "they don't like it", be my guest, but you had better do it away from the Smash community, because as long as I'm a member here, I'm going to argue AGAINST the kind of foolishness that tells players, "Yeah, it's cool if you want to build your competitive standards by your gut feeling, instead of hard logic and data. Go ahead and ban anything you don't like just because you want to make it easier for you to win that cash pot."

I'm not going to stand there and let our players go "Nu uhhhh! That's not fair!! >_<" like petulant children every time something happens that they just don't like.

Go infect some other community with that kind of logic, because people like BPC and myself are going to be right here, arguing against it.

Oh, and by the way... you're not the first one to call me a joke. You're also not the first person on these boards unable to articulate a rational argument, and thus relied on personal attacks instead. Food for thought.

Reizilla

You're also not the first person on these boards unable to articulate a rational argument, and thus relied on personal attacks instead. Food for thought.
Clearly, seeing as how you did that a few posts before me :)

You **** hard data people take **** too literally. And you barely even know what to measure and how to use it anyway.

*contemplating continuing this argument... concludes time would be better spent arguing for Norfair*

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
LOGIC AND REASON IRL:

Everyone is vegan and grows their own food, fast food and tobacco companies don't exist, drugs are legal and nobody uses them, we all ride bikes everywhere, war doesn't happen ever.

Oops looks like preference wins.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Except we aren't arguing about food production, health concerns, illegal narcotics possession, climate change, or the military-industrial complex. We're discussing the basic tenants of game design.

If you want to debate life in general, join the debate hall. Stop filling threads with useless posts. I swear, I'm going to start reporting all of these posts as spam/troll/off-topic posts. Let the trolls get their infractions so that the rest of us can have a decent discussion.

EDIT so that I don't take up another post: Yep, the reporting begins. Have fun with the infractions.

NNID
Budget_Player
Clearly, seeing as how you did that a few posts before me :)

You **** hard data people take **** too literally. And you barely even know what to measure and how to use it anyway.

*contemplating continuing this argument... concludes time would be better spent arguing for Norfair*
Well at least you're arguing for the sensible side... Norfair FTW. PTAD, YI(M), and several others as well? :3

We do take **** literally. That's what hard data tends to lead to, you know, taking things literally. That's what hard data is; it's taking things very literally.

Also, that metaphor is terrible.

Reizilla

Just so you know, examples =/= off-topic. Often, the best way to explain things is through metaphor/simile. I suggest you try it some time. You're trying to infract us... because you can't understand what we're saying XD

I'd explain it in baby steps for you, but that takes the fun out of debating :/ B PC, you get what I mean about arguing psuedo-morality? Explain to him, please, if you do?

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
Well at least you're arguing for the sensible side... Norfair FTW. PTAD, YI(M), and several others as well? :3

We do take **** literally. That's what hard data tends to lead to, you know, taking things literally. That's what hard data is; it's taking things very literally.

Also, that metaphor is terrible.
lol who **** the are you JK alt account stfu n00b

die thread!

QUIVO

Smash Master
If people REALLY wanted an items-tournaments (or FFA/whatever), then they can run their own tournaments. The funny thing is, you don't see them because no one gives two ****s about those tournaments besides casual players.

The only big items-tournament I can recall for Brawl was that random Evo tournament that had a pretty big turnout. The victor was some random kid that beat Melee's own legendary Ken. Did that kid do well at any other tournament? No, because he got lucky with those smashballs and items imo. Anyway, after that Evo.. Items-tournaments died.

Honestly, I hate the janky stages, but I'm willing to have them on for tournaments. Most of the smash community IMO bans them cause they're lame and annoying. Some, for some reason beyond me, believe stages like Norfair should be banned because they're unplayable and involve too much luck. Or that you can camp too easily there. I don't even know what people think anymore. So what I'm trying to say is that truthfully, Smash players don't really care for items/most stages cause they're "gay."

Knowing the "true intentions" of the developers is irrelevant. They gave us the option to turn **** off, and we're ****ing do it. So **** you developers if you "intend" for us to play 2 minute FFAs with all items on high.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
First of all, don't conflate this entire side of the argument. BPC and I both think items aren't fun in a competitive setting (although I love them when I want to shoot the **** at parties and stuff). Items aren't even what is being argued about here. What's being argued about are actual bans on things that probably shouldn't be banned. The argument is not even really that it's "wrong," per se, to ban these things. That gets into the genesis of ethics, and is really beyond the scope of the smash world forums.

The argument is that the way the majority of the smash community treats the tool of banning is scrubby. Plain and simple.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'm playing cards with my family, so I'll have to make this short.

@ShANk: Your comment about killing the thread falls exactly in line with your previous posts, and is exactly why I've been reporting you and Rei. Stop trolling and leave the thread if you don't like the discussion, or enjoy your infractions.

@QUIVO: Obviously, you haven't read the whole thread, or if you did, you didn't think very hard. How many times have I outlined exactly HOW you're misusing the concept of "designer's intent"? Three, maybe four times? Read the posts, THEN you can comment. Also, WHOBO 1 in April of '09 had a 2v2 ISP tournament that had a 70+ player turnout, including pro players from across the country. Since then, plenty of players have commented in multiple threads about how much they actually enjoy the format. The problem is that these are players, not TOs, and players do not host tournaments. I'd lurk just a BIT more before making comments that aren't entirely accurate.

@ph00tbag: THANK YOU. Thank you for knowing what the thread is about. Please help us get back on-topic! The trolls are trying their best to derail. In the interest of keeping the thread on-track, I'll post what I had in the Smashville/Yoshi's Island thread in tactical:

"We play the game we're given, not the game we WANT the game we're given to be."

Discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom