• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
My my, such self-conceit.
I suppose that should be expected from a known communist.

BTW. Against all medical advice, I'll probably be wanting to wifi tomorrow.
Might be playing Battalion Wars or Harvest moon instead, IDK.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash

All Olimars, band together and always support dabuz beating anti on wifi!
hmmmmm...there is cats, a bed, and a computer, definetely the symbols of eam dabuz xD

now where to post this picture...

Oh guys, new discovery, you decide if it's useful or not:

When Falco chain grabs you, you can whistle the dair spike. I was spiked on stage, so I'm not sure if this would differ offstage, and perhaps it is reliant on when the Falco times his spike, but he seemed to do it quite quickly and I whistled it.

Make of that what you will

ummmm...so, whistle dair->our footstool dair...anyone (hilt) wanna see if that can work?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Sadly I was informed that it only works if they mess up the CG; air dodge gain invincibility at 2 frames, same time Whistle gets super armor, so if we can't air dodge...we can't whistle :(

So does anyone actually like the new ruleset? I think it kinda sucks for suicide move users, but other than that it's pretty fine. Some stages might be broken, but they don't all have to be used

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I've seen that before :) And I saw your huge post of malcontent - I had a great appreciation for it :) I think it's a good thing, in some way, that they don't have a LGL; MK would still be broken with it, so this would hopefully get him closer to being banned. I really don't care that he's beatable; at the end of the day he's better by a larger margin than any character in this game has a right to be. It's ok to be the best, but by that much? No sir.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
SMASH HISTORY LESSON!

back in late 08 (or maybe early 09, i forget) there was no LGL, and this was a huge part of the fuel for the mk ban, sadly, instead of banning mk, the LGL was instilled, without the LGL, the mk ban discussion will come up because of people raging about mk haivng NO LGL, and once again it will be re-instated

btw, i suggest anyone here who has a decent pikachu to abuse the no LGL on distant planet, you can up-b to the leafand slope edges all day when an opponent gets close and be nigh untouchable while dealing petty damage for an 8 minute match, **** quite a wonderfully broken tactic to win any match on there, even against characters like MK (true story)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Distant Planet could definitely be a problem.

But MK...why must MK exist!!! He causes problems and arguments and fierce emotions wherever he goes. I don't think there's a single thing in Brawl that evokes more conflict - not even stages. Not like banning him stops the argument either; a different side just gains the upper hand.

*sigh*

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the rule list has never included a lgl from the bbr. this is the first time they have ever really talked about it in the rulelist, but i do think their stance towards it is bad

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Yea, and that's probably the way it's going to stay. If they officially instituted a LGL, ROB and Pit mains would be furious. If it was MK specific, hoards of people would say that it's admitting MK is broken yet still allowing him in the game.

*sigh*

RichBrown

Smash Master
Guys, I might have just figured out something amazing regarding Falco's jab

If you wiggle your control stick upleft-up-upright back and forth, all while mashing the cstick towards falco, you can get above his jab for a forward air

The control stick stuff is basically hardcore smash DI

and then fair

The way I tested this was by just mashing A with my big toe as Falco in place while figuring out DI patterns for Oli. I can't really test this against the canceled jab, but I'd imagine it's something similar.

Please give it a try next time you all play a Falco and let me know your results.

Edit: you actually kinda wanna DI up and slightly towards it actually, that way you can hit falco on his head. If they start shielding then that's fine, as it opens up an entirely different set of options.

Edit 2: eh there's like this weird spot you have to get to but it's relatively easy to get there. Just play with it lol

Edit 3: I just recorded a replay of myself doing it. I screw it up a lot because I'm also concentrating on mashing A with my big toe but with just a little practice I think this is really viable. I have no video uploading capabilities so if anyone wants to see it just give me all your wii info

all my wii info should be on AiB: http://allisbrawl.com/profile/Rich+Brown.ai

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Rich, I think I love you. And for once I wasn't the one making a long, tactical post absurdly early in the morning :D I definitely want to try this now

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
My my, such self-conceit.
I suppose that should be expected from a known communist.
ROFL
So does anyone actually like the new ruleset? I think it kinda sucks for suicide move users
The rule for suicides shouldn't have been there in the first place. If the game victory screen says Player B wins, we shouldn't give the win to Player A. And as for if it's a draw, look at pokemon. If both players have one pokemon left and one of them uses Explosion and both die and it would be a draw, who loses? The initiator of the attack. He knew that he would lose by doing so, so he should have not used the attack. In this case we're not even being as extreme. Go with what the game victory screen tells you. And if it's a draw, it should be handled as a draw should be handled, with 1 stock game. The only reason people think this change "isn't fair" is because it's not how things have always been.

Dnyce

Smash Master
hmmmmm...there is cats, a bed, and a computer, definetely the symbols of eam dabuz xD

There is also a bank envelope with cash inside tucked behind my cat.. lol ;o

EDIT: The new sbr should have a vote on banning mk now that 80% of its members aren't metaknight mains.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Sadly I was informed that it only works if they mess up the CG; air dodge gain invincibility at 2 frames, same time Whistle gets super armor, so if we can't air dodge...we can't whistle :(

So does anyone actually like the new ruleset? I think it kinda sucks for suicide move users, but other than that it's pretty fine. Some stages might be broken, but they don't all have to be used
I like it. I like the way scuisides work now, I like the fact that all infinites are allowed, and I appreciate the new stage list (lol now MLG is SBR certified :joyful: except for the part where you continue the set against someone u met before). I appreciate stages like port town for the properties it has. Like mute city hich was legal in melee, it has no ledges. I'm going to test the new stages today and i'm excited to see how the affect gameplay. I also really like the new stage striking system. I think 9 neutrals should be the standard because in the previous system, it game Falco, Diddy & ICs 2 counter pics. Absurd imo.

The only thing I'm concerned about is no ledge grab rule. I talked to swordgard over MSN and he told me a legitimate reason behind it. This is how the convo went (Swordgard is Blue & I'm red):

planking is only OP with MK
nobody else
do you agree with this statement or not?

i do
alright
the BBR is against balancing the game using arbitrary rules
1st, planking does not fall under stalling rule, you are not invincible
2nd, it does not even fall under stalling intent, as it is merely positionnal advantage, not approaching is not stalling. This is akin to ganondorf not approaching olimar if he ever gets the lead, he should not be forced to approach
now assuming it is not stalling, should we still ban it?
the answer is no, we do not arbitrarily limit characters to keep them in play
either MK is OP or he is not

ic
nerfing him would be the equivalent of balancing the game, which is a terrible path for a competitive mindset
why should we give MK a special threatment to keep him in game
and not buff lower tiers as well
both are balancing
as such, why not allow ganondorf to have "Punch Time" rule
if you never heard about it, its a rule where ganon would get 3 times every match where he can call "Punch time!" and he gets a free warlock punch

lmmfao
see, most people say LGL makes it less gay
well, ganon is way more fair with punch time rule
yet its so ridiculous

yes
so thats it

Yea, and that's probably the way it's going to stay. If they officially instituted a LGL, ROB and Pit mains would be furious. If it was MK specific, hoards of people would say that it's admitting MK is broken yet still allowing him in the game.

*sigh*
ROB wouldn't be mad. I never have to worry about LGL when I plank with ROB. I never go over 25 (except this one friendly where I made Rich Brown rage quit :p)

There is also a bank envelope with cash inside tucked behind my cat.. lol ;o

EDIT: The new sbr should have a vote on banning mk now that 80% of its members aren't metaknight mains.
[/COLOR]
MK can Dair plank, MK can spam nado, MK can spam upB, I accept all these tactics and deal with them accordingly. None of them really piss me off at all (except online, ****n delayed reaction time =_=). Planking is ubsurd imo. U try to get him out and you lose a stock. **** that =_=. What Dabuz said is probably tru, and I will probably want MK banned if he abuses planking.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Is this meant to be a joke also?
I am always one-hundred per cent serious when I talk about communism, comrade.
I hate red pikmin.

Also, SA has an Olimar now? :DDD
Welcome to the dark side, tofer.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I overslept. <_<;
I'll be at S.L.U.T., though.

RichBrown

Smash Master
That's why it's merely a "recommended" ruleset, TOs are not required to use it lol

Also I guess no one cared for my Falco discovery =(

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
After I read the process of how you did it with your big toe, I couldn't stop laughing enough to take the whole post in XD

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
ROFLThe rule for suicides shouldn't have been there in the first place. If the game victory screen says Player B wins, we shouldn't give the win to Player A. And as for if it's a draw, look at pokemon. If both players have one pokemon left and one of them uses Explosion and both die and it would be a draw, who loses? The initiator of the attack. He knew that he would lose by doing so, so he should have not used the attack. In this case we're not even being as extreme. Go with what the game victory screen tells you. And if it's a draw, it should be handled as a draw should be handled, with 1 stock game. The only reason people think this change "isn't fair" is because it's not how things have always been.
Aren't suicide moves used in that manner illegal in Pokemon? I swear I heard someone say that.

But newho, here's a point someone raised in the ruleset discussion thread: in the case of a timeout, there is no victory screen unless Sudden Death is played, but we choose to bypass that. Why are we able to make that arbitrary decision but not another? Bah, I don't care enough about suicide kills to debate about them :)

Howdy guys, I am new Olimar player.
Hi Tofer

*eagerly waits for Fino to see this*
lololol

RichBrown

Smash Master
Lol fair enough Hilt XD

You guys have no idea, I'm ridiculously happy with this discovery since I gotta play D3HF every weekend >.<

Also, good luck to Fino and Logic at Apex! I'm interested in what Brood can do as well.

Top Bottom