• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Why is this stage banned?" A Q&A regarding stage legality

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
About Pirate Ship....
I agree with people that thinks that ban the undership stalling could make this stage viable. But rather than a TO discretion, it should be a global change (like IDC).
That's just my opinion.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
hm... I hope I found the right place for this...

Why is skyworld still banned? The cave of life doesn't seem like a big enough reason since you can destroy the platforms. There aren't any hazards, so how does this stage make that large of an effect on match ups?
I'm curious about it since some of the new stages in BBR ruleset seem a little... skewed imo.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'd personally like to see discussion on Big Blue.

Here's the section on it from the OP:

In all honesty, the main reason Big Blue is banned is probably because it's too crazy and different for most people. There are some concrete arguments though. One is that run-away is simply too powerful here, particularly when the upper platforms are used intelligently. Another is that the track is simply too dangerous of a "hazard" and that the gameplay that revolves around it (such as the essentially instant death for missing techs or being pushed off a car while shielding) is all around degenerate. Another argument is that this stage is unfair in a variety of matchups. Another argument yet is that independent of the fairness of this stage, it's simply too much of an outlier. This goes back to the initial idea, but the argument here (as opposed to thoughtless dismissal) is that playing on Big Blue is basically playing a completely different game and that tournaments shouldn't be testing this. A small number of people think this stage wasn't given a fair chance, but the limits on advocacy for this stage are found in people who just want to explore it more. I don't think anyone is solidly convinced this stage is fair.
Essentially, here's what I got from this. Big Blue is banned because:

-Running away is too powerful.
-Track is too dangerous of a hazard.
-Unfair in a variety of matchups.
-Playing a completely different game.

So, let me critique each one of those posts.

Running away is too powerful.
In many ways, it probably promotes a bit of air camping at the least. On the first stage of the level, in which the actual "Big Blue" is on screen, you can't really run away unless you want to try and circle camp around the ship, which isn't very reliable. You could make the argument that it is indeed circle camping, but not only is it more of an oval (xD), but the bottom of the "circle" isn't a reliable ground space to just go across. Not only that, but the ship itself eventually goes away after a short period of time and circle camping is no more until it returns.

After that point, the fight takes to the cars just about the track and, eventually, the smaller platforms that hover above them. You can't really run away on the cars because the grouping they appear in isn't very large and isn't flat. You can try going by air, but because of it's short length in many ways (not including the cars that will show up farther ahead or behind in the pack), it's not like you're getting a reliable get away. You'll have to come back eventually or land on the track (which, by the way, is a good strategy to bring you rapidly back into the fight because you can jump right up through the cars).

When the platforms show up, there aren't many and they are actually quite high above the stage. Guys like Kirby, MK, Pit, D3, etc. or really anyone with good vertical recovery can make it up there, but they can do that on really any stage. And I'd personally call it stalling if an MK sat up there against someone like DK who can't really do much to approach at that point.

So, running away really isn't the best option. It's a good one for some characters, but not for the whole duration of the stage loop and certainly not a ban-worthy characteristic.

Track is too dangerous of a hazard
This needs to be tested a lot more. If anything, the track can be of real strategic value to any character, especially slow ones.

If you land on the track, it is very easy to jump back off of it and onto a part of the stage. It is in no way, shape or form a dangerous hazard. If you land on it, jump back off. Simple as that. You can get knocked onto the track from most parts of the stage and safely return to the cars.

The only areas you really can't are on the extreme left side of the stage, which is obvious. The solution is just to not put yourself in a position in which you don't have time to recover. That's your fault for being over there. If you know you won't be able to jump back up, make sure you don't get put in that position, just as characters that can get chaingrabbed on Distant Planet's slope don't want to be on that slope. If that's a problem you have, make sure you aren't in a position to make it happen.

With that said, there is actually a lot of use for the track itself in gameplay. First off, it's speed can make approach extremely quickly and pretty viable. Landing on the stage on the right, standing in position, then bursting upwards at an opponent can be a great mix-up for any characters, especially ones that have good aerials and/or bad approaches.

Not only that, but it's a constant hazard. It's not like Brinstar in which the lava may be there to save you or not. The track is always there. But because it isn't dangerous (as I explained above), that's a good thing. It's easier to keep track of.

The only exception is the gaps that appear from the jumps in the track. If you have good timing and know when these come up, take advantage of it with a spike. That's using the stage to your advantage and that kind of strategy is just part of the game.

Unfair in a variety of match-ups
This just made me scratch my head. What match-ups? Please elaborate. You can't just say something so broad and use it as a reason. That's ridiculous.

I assume it means for characters that may be heavy or bigger or whatever (I don't know since it names no match-ups), but there is really a lot of room to go around on this stage and a lot of options to traverse it. And, of course, if it were legal, clearly it would be a counterpick and that's what counterpicking is for. If you know a character isn't that good on a stage, wouldn't you want to pick it?

Again, I'd like to see this match-ups that are shallowly referred to.

Playing a completely different game
Really? This is just laughable. I've played in Big Blue enough and I'm not playing a different game. Smash is about fighting the opponent and being aware of the stage and it always has been. Big Blue is no different. Reasoning is fail.

/end.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Thank you for the great post Rapture, I will abbreviate it a bit and put the statements of it into the OP if you don't mind.

I played quite a few matches on big blue myself and I even found out the mechanic of how the cars work. From my experience the stage causes shifts between hard circle and semi circle camping through out the match. Platforms will often allow multi-jump characters and those with very high air speed to become literally unreachable or to have the ability to constantly evade the opponent.

In addition combat on the cars is very different than regular brawl (not that, this is a bad thing) but it causes shielding to become a very dangerous move. Shield push onto the track is a very deadly technique which will often result in a death. This causes spot dodging to become the absolute most important ability on the stage and those who are capable of punishing spot dodges hard become very powerful. Ike for example is able to cause large amounts of shield push using forward air and his jab. The jab is also very capable of punishing the opponent if they spot dodge.

Don't take these as stand alone arguments they are just my personal experience.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lol Big Blue.

No. As crazy as the Back Room is, I don't think that will ever be legal. Maybe BPC will come in here and say "BIG BLUUUUUUE BIG BLUUUUUUE" but seriously, not many people are seriously advocating for Big Blue to be legal.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Thank you for the great post Rapture, I will abbreviate it a bit and put the statements of it into the OP if you don't mind.

I played quite a few matches on big blue myself and I even found out the mechanic of how the cars work. From my experience the stage causes shifts between hard circle and semi circle camping through out the match. Platforms will often allow multi-jump characters and those with very high air speed to become literally unreachable or to have the ability to constantly evade the opponent.

In addition combat on the cars is very different than regular brawl (not that, this is a bad thing) but it causes shielding to become a very dangerous move. Shield push onto the track is a very deadly technique which will often result in a death. This causes spot dodging to become the absolute most important ability on the stage and those who are capable of punishing spot dodges hard become very powerful. Ike for example is able to cause large amounts of shield push using forward air and his jab. The jab is also very capable of punishing the opponent if they spot dodge.

Don't take these as stand alone arguments they are just my personal experience.
Hmmm, well I'll give the first part to you. It can get a bit campy at times because of those platforms, though they aren't so numerous that the opponent is completely out of reach. Plus, they go away eventually.

As for the second part, I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I'm personally fine with playing a bit differently because of the stage, and I don't see that as being a bannable characteristic, but that just seems to be my opinion.

Nevertheless, more testing could be in order. I'm not like completely pushing the stage; I know it has it's odd traits and such, but it being banned never seemed completely justified to me.

And using it in the OP is fine by me. xD

sunshade

Smash Ace
I feel that big blue could use somemore testing myself. I think it will end up confirming that the stage is rightfully banned but I prefer evidence over general assumption.

Either way big blue is a battle best fought when other less controversial stages become accepted.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I feel that big blue could use somemore testing myself. I think it will end up confirming that the stage is rightfully banned but I prefer evidence over general assumption.

Either way big blue is a battle best fought when other less controversial stages become accepted.
I agree. I'd rather have the stage banned with evidence proving that it should be banned rather than it being banned without it.

As for BPC's comment on Pictochat and Norfair, I bet Pictochat will come around eventually. Norfair I honestly don't know, but out of those two I'd say Pictochat will appear first. Though we don't seem very stressed over not having them.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Actually, I believe some EC tournaments do in fact have Pictochat. I'll look again, but I believe the next Gauntlet tournament in Brooklyn will have Pictochat as a counterpick.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
imo, a "counterpick" is a given stage where certain qualities of certain chatacters are pleased, while other certain kind of characters are affected in order they can't perform well.
Given that definition, I'd hardly consider Pictochat as a "counterpick", since it doesn't offers any real advantage to certain charatcers. Only real advantage I see there is how easy a PLAYER can adapt to the changes of it.
>If you say that benefits characters with good mobility, then Pokémon Stadium 1 should be also a CP.
>If you say that since changes are much faster than PS1 so it's much harder to adapt to them, then Pokémon Stadium 2 should be more fair than it.
>Hazards are a problem, sure; but then again, they doesn't give any advantages to charaters.

BSP

Smash Legend
Given that definition, I'd hardly consider Pictochat as a "counterpick", since it doesn't offers any real advantage to certain charatcers.

Sonic has invincible spindash rolls from the ledges
IDK if it's banned, but Kirby has that stone glitch on the edge too
Any ground based character gets a significant advantage since the stage is long and flat, and there's a lack of platforms unless it's transformed. It's pretty polarizing.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I didn't knew about that Sonic thing...
And Kirby's is not infinite (it's most likely a cool-looking glitch); just avoid it and there's no problem at all.
Sure, grounded characters have some slight advantage, but since it being flat is just temporal, I think it's pretty fair. Also, aerial characters have the possibility to addapt stage changes with ease.

Basically, it is momentarily polarizing.

BSP

Smash Legend
I thought there was a whole thread explaining Picto's transformation times and everything. It seems to be gone now :(

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
imo, a "counterpick" is a given stage where certain qualities of certain chatacters are pleased, while other certain kind of characters are affected in order they can't perform well.
Given that definition, I'd hardly consider Pictochat as a "counterpick", since it doesn't offers any real advantage to certain charatcers. Only real advantage I see there is how easy a PLAYER can adapt to the changes of it.
>If you say that benefits characters with good mobility, then Pokémon Stadium 1 should be also a CP.
>If you say that since changes are much faster than PS1 so it's much harder to adapt to them, then Pokémon Stadium 2 should be more fair than it.
>Hazards are a problem, sure; but then again, they doesn't give any advantages to charaters.
To be honest, I think a counterpick is a stage where certain qualities please that of certain characters and/or certain players.

For example, I could take my opponent to a counterpick stage that my opponent doesn't know much about, even though my character doesn't really get a huge advantage from it. That's still a good counterpick because it doesn't matter how I get the advantage as long as I do get it.

With that said, Pictochat thus becomes a viable counterpick because it can be used in the same way. Really, all stages can, but considering that not all stages are fit for competitive play (and Pictochat is definitely very fit for competitive play compared to banned stages and even some now legal CPs), that's a moot point. You could say that you could bring someone to 75m for the same reason, but we all know the problems that stage has to begin with.

So, while the stage itself may not have apparent reasons to be a counterpick for certain characters (which I think is false; I'm sure some characters could prefer it as a CP or have some useful tricks on it. Read: Sonic), it can still be a "player counterpick", which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

T-block

B2B TST
The thread is still around =P http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270499

Pictochat is actually quite polarizing. It could be argued that Pictochat is better than FD for Diddy and Falco. I don't agree (for Diddy anyways), but I can see where the sentiment comes from. ICs would prefer FD for sure, but Pictochat definitely tends to favour grounded characters.

Sonic gets invincible spin dash from Yoshi's Island as well, but we allow it to be a starter. Kirby's down-b glitch shouldn't affect how we look at the stage either... it's easy to just wait for him to come out of the rock and then hit him.

I would like to see Pictochat as a starter though, replacing FD. It functions the same as FD in stage striking, but is slightly less polarizing. As for the randomness, I'll bring up the comparison to Yoshi's Island again.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
To add to that Kirby thing, it could technically fall under stalling if used for too long.

Anyways, again, I feel Pictochat ends up being more of a "player" counterpick rather than a starter, mostly because of the number of factors that comprise the stage. I'm not talking randomness, but the literally parts of the stage (the intrusions themselves), random or not. Final Destination's only factor is a flat stage. Battlefield has two: a flat stage and platforms.

Then take Pictochat, which is a flat stage, plus each and every drawing. Then the factor of when they appear and the factor of how long they appear for and the factor of when they disappear and the order and the size and the effect, etc.

Even Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's has quite a number of factors, but not even close to how many Pictochat has, like flat stage, platform, tilting of platform, Shy Guys, characteristics of Shy Guys, Support Ghost, characteristics of Support Ghost, as opposed to Pictochat's flat stage, each "drawing" and characteristics of each drawing.

IMO, a counterpick tends to have a lot more factors that comprise it as opposed to a starter. Thus, using the player counterpick argument, one would counterpick to a stage like Pictochat to abuse the fact that the opponent probably is not completely aware of, or does not know all about, every factor Pictochat presents, which, in total, is more than most starter stages.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
"Player Counter Pick" sounds dumb. You can't state you DO know the stage more than your opponent does so you can outplay him/her. You just can't be certain. So the "player counterpick" could apply for every stage, for example, I like to play on BattleField's platforms a lot with Zelda's Nair, although the stage itself doesn't please my character.

I'll try another words: "hard to learn" doesn't mean "hard to play". With some knowledge, Pictochat is more fair than most CPs and some starters.

EDIT: yes, I think of it more as a starter rather than a counterpick.

btw, good thing YI was mentioned, since there's even more tricks than Pictochat, but it's more legal since it has less changes.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
hm... I hope I found the right place for this...

Why is skyworld still banned? The cave of life doesn't seem like a big enough reason since you can destroy the platforms. There aren't any hazards, so how does this stage make that large of an effect on match ups?
I'm curious about it since some of the new stages in BBR ruleset seem a little... skewed imo.
this stage is godly for characters like metaknight, rob, and pit who have the utmost freedom on their recovery and absolutely horrible for characters who arent as forunate to have freedom on their recovery like marth, ike, and lucario for instance

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Oh, it's clear that Pictochat will come before Norfair does. But they both should come. :(
A certain TO may not like this.....

Starts with an I

I feel that Yoshi's Island (Pipes) needs a write-up in the OP as I don't see it legal nowadays in many areas and I feel it should be moved in the second section.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
A certain TO may not like this.....

Starts with an I

I feel that Yoshi's Island (Pipes) needs a write-up in the OP as I don't see it legal nowadays in many areas and I feel it should be moved in the second section.
Just like PS2 and Japes.
There is not a real reason why they should be banned. That's why they're still on the first group.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Japes actually there are good reasons to ban. Most people either disagree that they are not strong enough, or they do not think such problems are there. Water camping for example or abusing the ledge layouts, most people don't see the problems with that at a glance until it happens a ton in tourney.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How exactly do you camp in rushing water while dealing with the crocs? Even if you could survive down there alone, its bound to force you to be extremely predictable.

Japes is/was legal in some tournaments? Can someone link a video showing degenerate abuse of the stage?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
DK can easily go to the left blastzone, quickly jump out and upB, which cancels momentum to go back a bit and rinse and repeat. The Klap Trap can't reach DK. No ledge grabs are done and many characters who try to hit you basically die in the process.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Overcentralizing: Mario Bros. really degenerates character vs character, and turns the battle into a which-player-can-tech-better and who-mindgame-the-better-so-he-can-hit-with-the-retardedly-strong-hazards game.
It's fun, but it can't be considered for competitive play.

Tesh

Smash Hero
DK can easily go to the left blastzone, quickly jump out and upB, which cancels momentum to go back a bit and rinse and repeat. The Klap Trap can't reach DK. No ledge grabs are done and many characters who try to hit you basically die in the process.
Hmm, is there any way you could show me how this is done? I tried it and it doesn't seem like an effective way to stall. I either get too far from the stage to be chased and I die, or I'm close enough to stall in the water, but any character could easily hit me. It doesn't even look like the blast zone is far enough to conceivably be safe from anyone viable.

NNID
Budget_Player
Overcentralizing: Mario Bros. really degenerates character vs character, and turns the battle into a which-player-can-tech-better and who-mindgame-the-better-so-he-can-hit-with-the-retardedly-strong-hazards game.
It's fun, but it can't be considered for competitive play.
Actually, the way you put it makes it almost seem like it's a stage where competitive play is possible but requires several very different elements from your skill set than normal play.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The peach one isn't that Strong. The DK one is certainly harder to stop.

Top Bottom