• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buddy Passes - a key to keeping Smash forever huge

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
If you know any friends in the airline, TALK TO THEM. A lot of people that work in the airline have friends or relatives with something called "buddy passes" which are basically super discounted plane tickets. Generally they get 8 of them per year. I'm talking 1/3rd of the price. 3 Japanese players for the price of 1, thanks to Buddy Passes. Smash could be so amazing with this at major events. Way more OOS players, and way more hype. If you guys know or find out about anybody with buddy passes (or an extreme excess of Frequent Flyer Miles that they don't need or want to sell) post it here.

I really honestly think this could keep smash alive very strong for a very long time to come. I want to play all of the Japanese and Europeans anyway.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
They are so much better for flying international, you could've gotten someone to make you their RTC, and only have to pay the yield fare rate, which would probably be cheaper than using a domestic buddy pass to fly to California, Anti. Just saying, and before you even ask M2K, I gave the RTC to my brother lol.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is a good idea, but it's rare that you're going to be getting these buddy passes just given out like that. The people that get them might want to use them themselves!

I'd suggest whoring yourself out. "Two hour lesson with mew2king" or something ;)

D. Disciple

Smash Master
To make a long story short.

When I found out Ally got stuck in France, I mentioned buddy passes to M2K, to see if I could find someone at the airport, to let me have one. Ally paid 800 bucks, when if I gotten to him faster, he would've gotten out of France and only spend 250 bucks. When I mentioned it to M2K, I told them I get 8 a year. (Starting next June), and it makes people that travel internationally extremely affordable.

So he's trying to see if I can get people to let me buy their buddy passes from them, to get like international smashers, to come to our tournies more, and vice versa.

However, it's a non-rev ticket, so if the flight is booked that day, and there are no available seats you wont get on that flight, and they'll just roll you over to the next one.

Corimon

Smash Apprentice
I had no idea! I have a friend that works in the airlines and she could probably hook me up.

To smash in Japan would be amazing. :<

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Here's how it is.

1st class ticket to Japan one way - roughly around 5k or higher.

Buddy Pass - 500 bucks max

If you or family work for the airlines personally or you're an domestic partner, spouse or rtc - 10-20 bucks.

Rayku

Smash Lord
5,000 dollaru to go to Japan? That's...insane.

My grandfather has FFM's a lot, but he gives them to his sons so they can go to concerts in other states. 'S why I couldn't make APEX...

As for buddy passes, I'll ask him about them

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Man, hell wish smash. I'm gonna look into this stuff to give my girlfriend a surprise trip to Japan.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Yeah and those are other ways to use them as well OS lol. My bro and I plan on going to amsterdam, and someone at work traveled across the world, to ride on every roller coaster.

PB&J

Smash Hero
buddy passes are too good..think of all the amazing players from other countries that can come from both games. its really good for the community.

Jason- we will talk about that Japan Trip, call me when you get to denver

D. Disciple

Smash Master
8 a year is so small amount i don't see people giving them out x_x
Well awhile back, one of the employees ruined it over here, back when NWA was around. When he sold people 100 buddy passes, and played them off as real tickets. For them to only get denied at the gate, when the flights were maxed out, and Delta is just silly with their ****, but I did have a few people that were willing to let me use one of their buddy passes to help out Ally.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I think if some one has access to a buddy pass and wants to go to a national for free should do it like this. Lets say a regular ticket from Europe is 1200$ and with the buddy pass its 650$. And for the guy with the buddy pass its like 300$ to go the tourney. The guy who saves 550$ from the pass should buy the buddy pass guys' ticket for him. The buddy pass guy gets to go for giving out the pass and the European saves 250$ on his trip. Everyone wins.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
the reason this is ******** is because of the wait on international connecting flights........

you have to wait each time(connecting), which is a hassle on set flight routes.... much less depending on people who miss their flights and whatever is open.

my friend worked at airport. and no this is not a good way of sparking global smash interests lmfao

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Invisible

Guys, ANYBODY that knows about Buddy Pass stuff, or can hook me up at all or is interested in helping out in any way with anything, please talk to me

my aim is ooVideoGameGodoo

(I'm always on invisible, so just IM me whenever)
If you are on invisible, then the people whom you do not have on the buddy list can't message you even if you are logged on (well on my AIM version at least). :(

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
8 a year is so small amount i don't see people giving them out x_x
They are usually for friends and family. They often get used for fam reunions and funerals or family vacations etc.

They are not actually allowed to sell the buddy passes because that would be direct competition with the airline. They are only allowed to give them away, chances are.....

they dont want to just give em away to some scrubby smasher.

This being said-IT DOESNT HURT TO ASK, but dont bug. They get 8 passes a year and its based on the day that they started working with the company. So if you can hit them up just b4 their passes expire they are more likely to give them away or "sell" them cheap. It takes a lil bit of work on their part and so offering like an extra 50 dollars for their time isnt a bad idea.

Try to find their date of employment and check towards the end of those terms.

Yunior597

Smash Journeyman
M2K, i know you are desesperate to play me but ill be soon on USA... so just sit down and wait XD.

lol joke, but it's true ill go to usa to meet the american brawl scene. cant wait for it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sometimes you can't. Not like economy is that good yet. It's getting better though. I think.

Top Bottom