• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOs in the Tristate area.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
There have been a few blogs about it recently, and a lot of top players complaining about local tournaments in the NY/NJ region not being hyped up. No one really caring about what's going on or anything.

There's absolutely no reason for this. Finals can be really exciting if you get people hyped up about it. Cheer, trash talk, and "ooo" and "awww" about what's going on in the sets guys.

I think people not really caring about important matches is what's driving this community into the ground.
I myself don't even want to be a part of it anymore if everyone is going to be this boring. There's no point in trying while the majority of our region isn't trying to improve or even interested in watching the players who managed to get to finals while they themselves didn't.

Vinnie and I were talking about it and he made an amazing point that i think could make tournaments around here a lot more interesting.

Important matches should be announced (winners semis, losers semis, winners finals, losers finals, grand finals) and all friendly TVs should be SHUT OFF while they are being played.
Get people to stop doing ****ing low tier friendlies and actually watch some amazing sets that are going on for once.

Also, mix up the seeding a bit please. If you noticed that say, Zucco fought Shadow for the last 5 tournaments in a row in winners quarters, MIX THE ****ING BRACKET UP!
I see lower level players complaining about this as well. How are we going to have any interesting upsets happen in our locals when we hardly leave any chance for that to happen because the SAME people are playing in the SAME rounds so often?

I'm asking that all TOs in our area start to do both of these things.
As long as you only have other necessary tournament matches going on while these finals matches are going on, there should be no reason for the majority of the players not to watch.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I like the seeding idea. This should have already been implemented in our tourney scene but it hasn't yet. Ill make sure to do my best at making sure people don't fight someone they fought last week for my own tournies.

I also like the announcing semi/finals idea. Really gonna keep these in mind for KTAR 3 (should have a mic this time)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
hmmmm this explains you always seem eager to help me improve as a player in our random convos, vinnies been always trying to help me improve for months now =3 but besides that i agree with this fine thread. no one should be *****ing about a 2 hr commute at all

g-regulate

Smash Hero
I think TO's should focus less on livestreams, recording setups, "hype matches", and housing/driving people to airports, and should start focusing more on calling matches fast, making players play their matches, and recording the results of those matches, in a professional and speedy manner. id say the latter part should be a higher priority than the former.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
I think TO's should focus less on livestreams, recording setups, "hype matches", and housing/driving people to airports, and should start focusing more on calling matches fast, making players play their matches, and recording the results of those matches, in a professional and speedy manner. id say the latter part should be a higher priority than the former.
Of course that's all important for any regional/national tournament concerns, G-reg, but that has nothing to do with this thread, lol. This is being directed towards hosts of local events, where everything is almost always finished on time.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
The hyppe is back into me lol, like brawl just came out after apex, but yeah, thanks for trying hard shadow, hopefully everything turns out well, If the game dies during summer vacation it would be lulzy. I aprove of this blog

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Change can only occur if the mid-level players step up their ****.

If everyone stays at the same skill level then nothing can change.

I've had an idea regarding power rankings that could hype up tournaments a bit more. PR Challenges. Basically, a player on the PRs may challenge another PR member as long as they're within a given range. I'm thinkin 2-3 places. A challenge can be denied, however, it can be made mandatory that a member of the PR must accept at least one challenge once a month.

If the challenger loses he drops down the rankings equal to a value that is half the distance of whom they challenged. If that distance is less than 1 they drop by that much. If the challenger wins they rise by the same amount. The person being challenged can never rise in rankings for winning.

So basically PR members have a duty to protect their placements. Instead if the PR list only be affected by end of season analysis it can also adjust in this manner.

Finally, players NOT in the PR can challenge the 8th-10th spots and take that person's spot. U get the point. These could potentially be hyped matches that occur before, during, and after tournament sets.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I will make KTAR3 interesting because no one can ever accurately predict my skill level on a given day
i can, its called free.

I've had an idea regarding power rankings that could hype up tournaments a bit more. PR Challenges. Basically, a player on the PRs may challenge another PR member as long as they're within a given range. I'm thinkin 2-3 places. A challenge can be denied, however, it can be made mandatory that a member of the PR must accept at least one challenge once a month.

If the challenger loses he drops down the rankings equal to a value that is half the distance of whom they challenged. If that distance is less than 1 they drop by that much. If the challenger wins they rise by the same amount. The person being challenged can never rise in rankings for winning.

So basically PR members have a duty to protect their placements. Instead if the PR list only be affected by end of season analysis it can also adjust in this manner.

Finally, players NOT in the PR can challenge the 8th-10th spots and take that person's spot. U get the point. These could potentially be hyped matches that occur before, during, and after tournament sets.
this is a good idea, i likeee

also, this is why we should start doing PRs in tiers. this would make this easier imo

erick gm14

Smash Ace
i would watch finals if it were JTails, san, atomsk, ninjalink or some mid level/high level player who uses lots of characters OR a character i dont see in finals. it just gets kinda boring seeing the same ppl in finals tbh :/ so i friendly/mm xD though...i will watch now because it is high level play, in which i can see many things from the matches and get massive experience regardless.. so count me in i suppose. as for hype, thats where crews come into play mostly.. i always here "THATS THAT JUICE" somewhere showing your crew spirit.. theres just nothing else i hear of anymore..no EC, no SWR, no ZB i dont think, unless ive been long gone from the scene xDD

though fans will support their players but the crews would make the hype go up and beyond (loud "OOHH", yelling something about the crew ,Cable Scream) maybe this is to vague >_>

Bones0

Smash Legend

Not a bad idea, but I have a feeling the top players will just stop caring about PRs, and then mid level players will follow. People who win tournaments every weekend aren't gonna bother accepting a formal challenge (unless you just wanna MM) because they have nothing to gain. If people who win every weekend don't go along with the challenge accepting thing, then the PRs won't be an accurate representation of a region's skill, and everyone will stop caring about it at all. That's just how I see it playing out.

A better thing to do I think is what Plank is doing for Pound 5. Depending on what pool level you get knocked out, you will play players who also got knocked out at that level in a mini side tournament. I think this is perfect for locals because time usually isn't an issue. Playing the same people every tournament is an issue, but it wouldn't be such a big deal if they were actually your skill level. Unfortunately, while seeding ensures the top players don't play each other early on, it also ensures that lower level players will get destroyed in 90% of their matches. I've played in 5 tournaments now, and in at least 3 of them I was knocked out by two of the top 3 players in that tournament. I'm not johning or whining, just trying to show that it's discouraging to try to improve when the only way to get a higher seeding is to beat the people who constantly win. Obviously the loser's bracket is supposed to filter that skill level, but again seeding typically lines up newer players for a 0-2 two rounds in a row.

So yeah, TOs should try something like the people who place in the bottom half do a round robin, and then along with Advanced PRs there can be Amateur PRs which will be determined entirely by the Amateur player round robin tournament. I doubt this will mess with finishing on time because those players would just be playing friendlies otherwise. Might as well make the matches ranked so there is some accurate depiction of mid-level placings and some incentive for them to enter tournaments where they know they will probably be facing top players the first two rounds. Just how I feel though, I'd like to hear what more experienced TOs think about this.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
As for the same ppl fighting the same ppl at the same spots, it's because of crew seeding. Since every event is seeded by skill and by crew, most people are going to fall in similarish spots. I don't even get why we do crew seeding exactly, why can't we just do location?

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
Seriously... at apex i had shadow in R1 pool, which annoyed me because I literally had played him in tourney last weekend

Jtails

Smash Lord
i agree people do have pride in their crews, but its not the same intensity as in the melee days.
also no one ever wants to mm lol for more than like a dollar, im always posting up hey anyone ill do mms for 5-10.

remember when wes played patg at bums? that was so hype!!
more things like this need to happen!

also mix up the seeding, because no one should complain. at a tournament you should be the best player there ANYWAY. so even if you were put against m2k first round its your fault for losing to him! its competition man up. yea it affects placings and blah blah wahh wahh lol.
personally i dont care, bracket **** me. i learn more that way :)

i agree with this thread 100% lets hype up our region and become better players.

lets **** the world!

Kaiber Kop

Smash Master
Important matches should be announced (winners semis, losers semis, winners finals, losers finals, grand finals) and all friendly TVs should be SHUT OFF while they are being played.
Get people to stop doing ****ing low tier friendlies and actually watch some amazing sets that are going on for once.

Also, mix up the seeding a bit please. If you noticed that say, Zucco fought Shadow for the last 5 tournaments in a row in winners quarters, MIX THE ****ING BRACKET UP!
I see lower level players complaining about this as well. How are we going to have any interesting upsets happen in our locals when we hardly leave any chance for that to happen because the SAME people are playing in the SAME rounds so often?
I only read your first post so forgive me if I missed some points discussed already.

1st part- No, watching finals is boring. We see the same people playing all the time bc they are better than others. At least let the people not at that level enjoy the game while others make money off it. Watching this game is fairly boring.

2ndpart- Good point

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I don't watch grand finals because they're boring. I don't really care to watch 5 boring MK dittos on battlefield. I'd rather play friendlies.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Name the last time MK dittos were the grand finals in a tournament anywhere

Edit: I did the work for you

The only possible MK finals were the west coast tournament (M2K vs Zex), Midwest Tournament (Lain vs Shugo, but not likely that they would ditto), and Koolaid and Bloodcross (dunno if they dittoed). Out of like 50 tournaments, none have had MK dittos in finals for sure, and only 3 could've possibly had it. Only 1 in Atlantic North. Get outta here

2nd Edit: There haven't been MK finals for 5 games in a grand finals for over 4 months, at least. You could've been anywhere in the world and never seen that. We saw a total of 4-6 games that had MK dittos in the GF in the entire world in the past 4 months. I would challenge you to direct me to a tournament that had your so called boring MK dittos in GF or even LF for that matter

lain

Smash Master
On Shadow's post, this is a problem like everywhere, including nationals. I've had to fight mew2king in quarters the last 5 or 6 tourneys we've been to. PHUCKING PHAIL.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
On Shadow's post, this is a problem like everywhere, including nationals. I've had to fight mew2king in quarters the last 5 or 6 tourneys we've been to. PHUCKING PHAIL.
Yeah, it gets pretty ridiculous sometimes.
Atomsk and I have played Ninjalink at almost every regional or national that we've all gone to.

Also, i hope supermodel was trolling -.-. Way to contribute, BRO.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Anyways, I hope to be a T.O in the future. : D

Top Bottom