• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Antonio Brawl Thread: "K Prime's a ******" - Paw, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paw

Smash Ace
NNID
pawzor
i love entourage

well, mlg doesnt allow modded controllers, iunno what they would say about that one.
i would ask an mlg official before anything

also, i wouldnt trade it in, you have no idea of what quality the product is. I mean, $10 :/

Sonic_King

Smash Apprentice
wow omg... im just soo use to the wii classic unless im playing my mega sonic collection for gc which goes on my wii and i have no choice but to play with just my gc controller... >_>

Magik0722

Smash Champion
64 > Brawl > melee
Melee is horribly imbalanced
It is artificially difficult much like sf4
It actually isn't as fast as people say, unless you are playing fox, falco, CF, or maybe marth

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
... as someone who's played for years, I can say that I think it is much faster, not artificially. And the speed is not all about how fast the characters on screen are moving, but the speed at which you are able to control your character. As you get better, you can definitely see your speed increasing. And seeing as how the tiers can all be overcome through the right strategy, I'm thinking it's not ridiculously unbalanced.

Nike.

Smash Hero
There was alot more, but it's long enough to read as it is:

Why did you decide to use Marth?

I was a marth main in melee. When the Dojo was coming out with the confirmed characters every few days, I prayed for marth. Metaknight looked like someone fun to play as when the trailer first came out. The part with him fighting pit in the sky with multiple jumps made me drool. Kirby was my main in 64, so if he was better then I’d consider using him. The ike update came out and I didn’t like the way his b-moves looked. He looked like a slower roy with a Kirby up-b. After a lot of fellow marth were losing hope, he was confirmed though.

It wasn’t easy to tip with marth at first, and he seemed like he needed impossibly perfect spacing (he does too lol). So I used kirby for a few months. After a wootz tourney, me and Suspect played kirby dittos (it was his first brawl tourney) and even though I was winning most of them, I felt bored. I went home, saw some new Roy_R vids, and realized that marth was 578249507545423 more cooler than kirby. And I still use him to this day.

Why not Meta?

I thought about it. I like characters with swords and I liked kirby, so meta seemed like the perfect fit for me. Couldn’t do it though since marth was confirmed. If only i knewwww x)

If marth and falco didn't exist, who would you main?

Metaknight. And that’s before everyone realized how good he was. I also used Zss and Toon Link in friendlies and had so much fun with them. So pretty much meta, zss, tink, kirby.

Why is marth so ****ing gay?

I’ve never really understood why people naturally assume that marth is gay. He has a glaring weakness (his recovery). He’s not like meta where he just spams and profits. He’s rather difficult and requires a major commitment from the player to get good with (unless your naturally amazing like roy_r or neo). A majority of his moves are punishers, meaning you made a mistake to have gotten hit by the move. Like, I understand caliing him gay cuz of his attire and the way he looks, but I don't think the way he plays is gay. Nothing compared to some of the other characters in this game.

Most favorite MU?

Ness. Summer of 09, Kyro spent the night for like 4 nights in a row. We played at least a thousand marth vs ness matches, and he begged me to use the chaingrab in friendlies.

Least favorite MU?

Diddy Kong. 2 frame spot dodge is so broken.

What are your top 5 favorite games of all time?

Kingdom Hearts 1-2, Jak and Daxter, Pokemon gameboy series, Ace Combat 4-5, And of course melee and brawl.

What drives you to be so nice (such as housing 40 people, constant smashfests, and such)

I’m not really sure how to answer that. I feel as though being a part of this community involves responsibilities to your fellow comrads. I know the feeling of wanting to go to an out-of-town tourney and you have nowhere to stay. It sucks. I try to help out as much as I can so that when somebody comes from out-of-town, they don’t regret it.

Smashfests though. There was a very long period there where nobody else could have anything at their house. Everyone was used to Gamelot monthlies and Cliff letting us smash there occasionally. When he shut us down, it felt like our community was about to die. Somebody had to step up, and thankfully, others did.

What don't you like about Brawl (aside from tripping)?

Crossovers. When a character is falling and your trying to punish the landing. In melee you knew which side of your character they’d land in. In brawl, if they angle it right, you can’t tell which side there going to be in. I almost always grab the land, and they somehow ended up right behind me. Very aggravating.

When deciding to stay with Marth in Brawl, even though you used him in Melee, what mentality did you have?

After the first month, I learned that he obviously requires a different style. I learned everything from marth the few months from Roy_R vids. One thing I loved that I stole from him (I use this even to this day) was fthrow -> run forward and grab the airdodge -> fthrow -> tipper fair (cuz they dont airdodge the second and actually DI back to you to avoid the ledge). But yea, I learn everything from him. It's 2010 and I still can't learn stuff from watching Mikehaze or any other marth play, yet I go back to Roy_R's vids and it gives me hope again. LOL at long answer.

Are you still trying to adapt to the differences from Melee to Brawl Marth?

Not anymore. However, I cannot play both games because marth plays differently. I usually go falcon in melee for friendlies cuz I like trying the sacred combo x)

Do you like Melee or Brawl better?

At a huge tourney or livestream, I’d prefer to watch the big melee matches over brawl (Especially at Genesis and Pound4, spent the whole time on the melee side lol). However, I enjoy playing brawl more than melee now.

Got a rival?

This one's weird to answer. I don't think I had a true rival for a long time (maybeee Suspect, but it didnt seem like a rivalry). Then the St Philips tourney was epic. Me and JUJ promised to fight each other in GF right before the tourney started (top3 in SA didnt go). Sure enough, we played. Game 10, so winner take all. It was sooooooo close. I won but from that night on, we were rivals. It's sad that he's dissapeared because he's always been a much closer friend since that tourney. So idk if it's still a rivalry anymore :(

As far as summer of 2010: Outside of our current top3, I've been rival less. Castro finally beat me. we're 6-1 as of now. I don't feel like he's my rival yet, though, he's even with to many other players too tackle the Nike couch atm ;)

I'll admit this though. I've ALWAYS wanted Morningstar to be my rival. He's won every set we've ever played though, so it's not technically real. As of 2009-now, my major goal in smash is to beat him in one tourney. I can live with Espy and Kprime taking all the glory, but I always felt me and Mstar were so even in skill and he always beats me! One day I hope to get past him in bracket. I've been waiting to get past the Mstar hump for a very long time now, and it'll always be my #1 priority at every tourney I go to <3

You think SA's community has potential to be better than it is?

Well obviously there’s potential. It’s hard to judge though. It’s completely up to the player to learn everything possible about his character. Matchup knowledge is super important, especially against those that you outright lose to.

What pet should you have?

I grew up with a beagle. She was a very good dog, and havent had a pet since her. I like dogs. Always wanted a dachound if I got an apartment or a golden retriever if I own a home.

You are taking on a cruise to the Bermuda Triangle. Is this a comedy, horror, or drama movie?

It would be a chickflick, because I would be trying to win the heart of whoevers there with me x) I'm a little girl at heart (which is why half of you thought I was gay at some point).

What would happen aboard the cruise ship?

Im not sure x)

Are you good at Bowling?

Im garbage at bowling (I blame it on being left handed).

Do you have different goals or ambitions you now have or follow because of how much Smash ( and it's community) has been a great influence on you? And how do you think you have affected or influence the smash community (local or bigger)?

Yes. Before my first Ken vid on youtube, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Now that I've seen the darkside of gaming, I feel alot more comfortable in technology. I'm trying to get a degree in Digital Video and Cinema Production at NWV. Not a director, but a designer of some sort. Yea, Zigsta is living my dream and I'm super jealous x)

It's also an amazing way to escape from life. Everyone knows what I mean. There's been a few instances where something dramatic in my life happens and I get very depressed. Being "Nike" (i know, it sounds so dum lol) is like my escape, where I don't have to think about anything in life outside of how much I hate random always choosing pk stadium.

Walk us through your melee years, everything that was important.

This ones gonna take awhile. My cousin in east texas played smash 64. Everytime I went up there once a year, I'd watch his samus play my other cousins ness and their battles were epic. The game looked so fun. I played red kirby because when they always hit me off to the side, I had so many jumps so make it back lol.

Years later, when they did the same epic battles in melee, I still went kirby cuz he lives FOREVER in Hyrule Temple. 05. Leaving his home, he gives me his N64 since he doesnt use it anymore.

I immediately started playing smash 64 when I got back home. At least 6+ hours every night. Beat lvl 4's for til it got easy. Moved the CPU up a lvl til I could handle it. Did it over and over til a week later I could barely beat lvl 9. Did lvl 9's for 3 months and destroyed my friends x)

15th bday in 06. Got enough money for a GC, memory card, wavebird and melee. Used red kirby that spammed only rolls and fsmash for 6 months.

That summer, my friend randomly typed melee on youtube. He was like "WHOAAAA. Aaron come watch this."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtkYMEb_bD4

I mained red marth that night. Watched 100's of ken videos and practiced everything I could. Went back and forth between tv and computer for 6 months. I got alot of things down.

(most of you have heard me say this). January 07. First Gamelot Monthly. My very first tourney, so close I walked to it. Lost to Carly in losers. She spammed dsmash with peach (first time I learned about that.) Beat a falcon who was noobier than me. Lost to Forkgirl who also spammed dsmash peach. My friends picked me up and I went shopping with them, pissed off that 2 girls beat me at my first tourney.

Next Gamelot I lost to Caveman (it was an honor! lol) and I forget who. About this time I learned that the tourney organizer, Ryan, was a senior at my skool. He ran monthly video game get togethers. They'd have 3 halo setups on the projectors, and one melee setup on the tv. He became my rival. Mained sheik and was better than me. Everytime we played, I got better. After awhile, we dead even. I'll never forget we played an epic match on dreamland. Halo just ended and all 15 ppl were just waching our tv, going crazy at how close it was. I never felt hype before, and it felt great.

He graduated and went to UT. Kyle took over. He ran Final Smash (I missed it cuz of disney world). Then Final Smash 2, January of 08. Last tourney before Brawl came out. Forward, Dope, and another big name flew to it. Funnest melee tourney of all. Me and Kyle went 1-1 in pools (second time we played. During one of the monthlies, I won a set 2-1. He won game 2 ganon vs marth on pokemon stadium after being down three stocks to won. He made sure everyone around knew. I wrecked game 3 cuz I was pissed lol.) I barely made it into bracket and lost to G@be and Cyphus.

This also happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kbgcUF1bE

My best friends :( lol

I also remember seeing Espy at the Gamelot tournies. He was quiet, like me. I knew he was a little better, and I don't remember if we ever played in bracket.

That's my melee life.

Now walk us through the beginning of your brawl life.

FUUUUUUU lol. Okay.

You already know about how I chose my main. Used marth for a little, went kirby and toon link. Occasionally zamus, but kirby was my priority. My friends played it for the first 2 months with me. I got good. I remember seeing the famous vid of sethlons falco 3stocking dr drew's lucas. I was happy for him being known since he was Texas.

Final Smash 3. I was hyped. Played a guy named Santi toon link friendlies. We went dead even. I will never forget this lol. Tourney happened and I got Sethlon first round. Greattttttt. He won but it wasnt ****. I felt good.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164129 (Wow, I thought I placed 13th at this lol my bad. Get ***** nike)

I was happy with how I did. I trained some more. Alot more. I was using Kirby as well as I possibly could. Final Smash 4 happened. I got Wobbles first round. Beat me with Rob and Wario. He was extremely rude to me first game cuz i daired his rob 5 times in a row and we both died. I haven't liked the guy since that day, and laugh when he throws controllers.

Couple months pass by. Kyle introduces Gamelot monthies. That friday night, I decide to have a smashfest (mid-late september). Greyfox showed up. I knew he was good cuz he was from smashboards, he's gotta be. I won like 75% of the matches and I was like "Holy cow, I thought he was gonna **** me tonight."

Puffball shows up 2 hours later. He hasnt been to a tourney yet. He won like 80% of the matches against me, and I was mad cuz I felt like I shouldnt be losing. I experienced my very first Espy story that night. Prolly 2 hours (slightly more than average lol).

Next day:
1st: Dojo(MK)
2nd: Santi(TL)
3rd: Hylian(MK)
4th: Espy(Sonic)
5th: Lee Harris(MK)
5th: Cake(Fox)
7th: Dr.MarioKart(MK)
7th:?
9th: Greyfox
9th: Nike20 (kirby)

I no longer felt bad about losing.

HOBO11. M2k, Azen, DSF, Endrees were confirmed. Everyone hyped a possible Dojo vs M2k. I had to go. I went with a friend of mine. Espy wanted to go too, but he bailed at the last possible minute. This day marked the first out-of-tourney that SA traveled too. I saw so many people. 100+ entered and there was pools. M2k and Azen entered the room and you could feel the power travel through the room. I had Roy_R, Heytallman, and a lucario/diddy named trela (it was his first tourney). 2 matches against everyone, 5 minutes each. It came down to me vs Tallman. With 20 seconds left, he gets a 98%-96% (2 freakin percent lead) and runs away. I get timed out by 2 percent. It prevented me from entering the bracket. I raged sooo hard. Drove back home trying to stay awake.

Few weeks later I hold another smashfest. Mainly for melee, cuz Alex19 was coming over and he knew freakin mango. He walked in the door and Suspect was with him (first time I see him in 2 years from a random melee tourney). Alex wrecked me in melee. Later, we all got bored and played brawl. Suspect was trashin it with Alex, yet he randomly was ****** with squirtle and he never played before. It was funny.

Next day was Gamelot Monthly 2: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198848

Suspect entered. This also marked the days of DMK vs Espy. Espy didn't know how to beat tornado. In the GF's set, DMK must have used it at LEAST 300-400 times. It was a big topic in the sonic boards. They were all amazed at how good he was, and felt bad that he was losing to tornado.

Wootz tourney happened. I was starting to get bored of kirby. Me vs Trex got announced on the veryyyy laggy tv. His rob spamed spot dodge -> dsmash both matches. I couldnt do anything cuz it worked PERFECTLY on lag, and he 2 and 3 stocked me. This is the one major time I johned like a little girl to the community. After our set, the tourney organizer stopped tourney matches being played on it.

Zsdk was obviously #2 after Espy. His Diddy/Luigi was ****. He played a Pikachu in losers semis, and I was amazed at the way pikachu was playing, also known as Kprime. However, Zsdk won and lost to Espy. Espy lost to DMK in gf's yet again. Tornado prevailed.

One other thing about this tourney. Same day I met JUJ, the guy who mained Dreamland. Me and Suspect played kirby dittos for half an hour. I won most of them barely, but I felt Suspect was gonna start beating me the next time we played. Went to taco bell and Morningstar was there as well, so we ate together. I thought him and his friend were weird.

That week, I relooked at marth. All the available threads. Then Roy_R vids. Holy crap, he makes marth look like so much fun again. Why did I ever give up on my true main? Kirby got so boring, I didnt care that Suspect would be good with him since I have marth again.

I missed out on Gamelot 3, but Espy broke the DMK curse. He was never seen again and dissapeared from the Texas PR and the scene completely. I didn't enter at 4 (Cliff was being a jew). Sethlon and Hylian took our money for the second time. Darn out of towners. Zsdk and Kprime were #2-3 in SA still and Zsdk ***** in random character tourney. However, after this tourney, he dissapeared for months.

Then the Tomball story. It's way too long and somebody will have to ask me after this to explain if they wanna know what exactly happened. I will say that it is top5 worst experiences of my life though.

Final Smash 5, Jan 09 (a week after tomball). Because of the events at Tomball my parents prevented me from entering the tourney. However, I was still allowed to house the 30 ppl I promised. This included Louisiana, Dallas, San Angelo, and College Station. I stayed home during pools and went to the venue to watch the bracket that night. Zsdk made it out of hiding but didn't make it out of pools. It's the last time we'd see him for almost a year (he went to one of the last gamelot tournies and did bad with wolf. Nobody has seen him since). Kprime almost beat Santi, but Norfair didn't prevail.

I'll never forget how good Espy was that night. I followed half of his bracket matches to record him, and he took out soooooo many big names. Took Razer to game 3, last stock, high percent. He tripped on a possible killing punish move. To this day, I'm pretty sure Espy's extreme hate for tripping came from this set. Anyway, he got 4th out of 92. It was a very big deal at the time, NOBODY had ever seen a legit sonic before and Espy suprised the **** outta Southwest.

I think most of you know how the scene evolved since Jan 09.

Syoudous

Smash Cadet
Going to quakecon not sure what time i'll get there today (yes I know it's tomorrow) and I need to find a hotel less then 100 bucks.
I can tell you from experience and working as front desk at a hotel you will not find anything lower than $100 until the end of the summer (next 2 weeks are generally high since school starts very soon for some) and not only that because of the weekend (Higher rates around 129/159). Weekdays are generally very reasonable. You won't get a discount unless the worker is dumb, and if you are under 21, everyone that is wanting to stay in the room must present an ID to show they are over 18. If they are underage they are not allowed to stay in the room or otherwise completely rejected unless occupied with an adult. You will need a Credit Card/ID no matter what even if paying cash.

This is just from what I know anyway and passing a tip. =)

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
Do you like Melee or Brawl better?

At a huge tourney or livestream, I’d prefer to watch the big melee matches over brawl (Especially at Genesis and Pound4, spent the whole time on the melee side lol). However, I enjoy playing brawl more than melee now.
Why do you think that is? Perhaps you've just grown more comfortable with the game? Or maybe the lack of a scene in melee? The people who are in the brawl scene?

I find it interesting that you still enjoy watching melee more, it's kind of an odd thing.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Tofer, did you even say what time for today? I can probably provide a Wii+Brawl set up, but not likely a TV.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I find it interesting that you still enjoy watching melee more, it's kind of an odd thing.
If you went to Genesis, it was plain as day which side had more people on it when the Melee finals were going on. Brawl was in the semi finals still....

Regardless, not as much hype by a long shot.

Who's gonna get excited about a tournament that had to finish in the hotel?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Good read, Nike.

I knew you enjoyed film, but I had no idea it's what you want your career to be! It's official: I'm teaching you Avid.

Morningstar

Smash Journeyman
Good read Nike. Lol you'll beat me someday. Maybe. :p

No one wants to interview me. Must be the most uninteresting person in SA. LOL

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
That's not only because it had more people, though the definetly was, but also because, especially at the tome, brawl matches simply take longer. Also, brawl is newer on general, so of course there will be more people.

Anyway, I vote greyfox as well.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Can I change my vote to Greyfox too?

Again, I am telling yall just in case. People can show up as early as 2-3, and food will be available the whole day.

As long as it lasts.

nvm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom