• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

Wolfric

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GoodLuckTrying
so they never understood the mechanics behind transformation? :( Can't they inspect the character to see if there is like a birdge between them?
It's not so simple, Zelda and Sheik ARE diferent characters, same with Charizard/Ivysaur/Squirtle, so when you transform, it just load their stuff, WHICH are all separated.

Marth can't "transform" into Roy because there are no files for Roy, and creating a whole file it's almost impossible so I've heard.

Only way at this moment it to create the PSA which allows you to swap between them using a Taunt.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Having played this, I must say, the neutral-B is a tad broken... Storing all the damage on the same charge seems like a bad idea. I mean, you can let go about halfway through and still get 30-35 damage... was it like that in Melee? (I honestly don't remember)
And I think the moveset could use at least a custom taunt animation (the dtaunt looks pretty sloppy).
Other than that, incredible moveset!

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Hey, has anyone looked into replacing Marth's sfx with Roy's? I heard that Lucario's sfx are being replaced with Mewtwo's, so I'm wondering if this would be possible for Roy as well.

RoytheRoyalBoy

Smash Cadet
Hey, has anyone looked into replacing Marth's sfx with Roy's? I heard that Lucario's sfx are being replaced with Mewtwo's, so I'm wondering if this would be possible for Roy as well.
i remembered some one posting roy's sfx which was recorded from melee into Wav. format, have fun looking for it ^^"

Thany

Smash Journeyman
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

*orgasms*

Mr.Beyond You, can I have your children? <:3

But seriously, that is 99% PERFECT!!! :D

*Strokes Roy's new-old 'do* Myesss...Mmm...

Aside from a very few minute touch ups I can think of, it's PERFECT!!! :3

All we'll need now are sound effects, and different animations.
(I think it'd be a great idea to animate Roy EXACTLY like how he was in Melee.
...I just find Marth's Brawl animations are far too...Prissy for Roy, and like for some of his attacks, that he just puts little effort into the swing. The jab(s) come to mind...
And oddly enough, Ike's ledge hanging animation is closer to Marth and Roy's Melee
hanging animation. Marths' Brawl ledge hanging animation just looks...Like an ergonomic nightmare on the wrists ;_; )

Also, variations in their animations would make each of them feel a little more unique.
Still clone-like in moveset(I never want that beautiful moveset of his to change :3) But different animations overall...Plus they each have different B moves and(in Melee at this time) counter stances and counter attacks, so...Yeah.

And what's wrong with clones anyway? I loved the idea personally...Oops, I'm rambling...

Anywhoo, onto my nitpicking(Sorry. Ultimate Roy Fangirl AND a perfectionist. <:3 )

First one: The Collar.

(The Roy portrait if from FE 6. I custom made the Marth one myself :3)

Roy's collar is more...Open I guess than Marth's, whereas Marth's is closed, and "pinned".
Maybe we could make a more...Noticable collar on him?
Just an idea. It's the least noticable thing I find. Anyway...

Second one: The front of the armor.

Is is possible to make that more than a texture on his tunic?
That'd be lovely if it were a piece of armor instead :3

Third one: Back of the armor.

Could it be vertex'd or something to be...Uhh...Well, having the very back of it that's hidden by the cape be turned into a plate, whilst changing the side-straps to look more like his Melee armor?

Just some ideas should a V3 pop up anywhere in the future :3

Also...Marth and Roy both have buckle-like things on their boots...
Marths' are just on the front of his boots, but Roy's are also on the back of his.

Is this a vertex or merely a texture effect? I can't really tell.
I guess this could count as a "Fourth one" in my nitpickings...

Anyway.Once again, absolutely fantasic Mr.Beyond :3
*huggles* You is mah hero.

PS.
I have an idea about making Roy's battle intro, and his taunts unique, too.
I'll post it later when I'm not half-asleep though. ZZZzzzz...

Debugger

Smash Rookie
That burned to read but very very good points none the less. However little nitpicks like that are a little to much. If they were to be done though then I guess they showed results.

BeyondYou

Smash Apprentice
@Thany

I'm glad you like it. The front of the armor below the chest plate is an actual part of the his armor now, not just a texture anymore. That pic up there is old, from before I was finished.

I must admit the other 2 touch ups are a little nit picky, but I understand where your coming from. I may do those changes in the future, since they're very minor and fairly easy to do.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Excellent news; my little brother mains Marth and hated me for having Roy on Marth. Now I can have Roy, sorta... :/ (by that I mean the moveset, not your hack, it is indeed far beyond me, sorry to reuse that line).

Sterowent

Smash Ace
bump, because, while i'm sure people are going to be searching for this again, it'd be convenient to have on the first page.

these vertex hacks are very much appreciated. i hope they continue to evolve into the most professional morph possible. how did marth's look change between games? i'd like to see a morph that reflects this transition, but with roy's melee form to a hypothetical roy had he been kept in brawl. all request, of course, since i'm a bum.

small request to big projects that happen to pick up this character as a new WIP under their wing: keep the PSA gimmick the same! it's intelligent use of a wasted tipper! yes, it changes roy's melee game, but how much of roy's metagame in melee develop under the notion that most of his moveset was balls? food for thought. also, if you could keep his sword the same range as marth's brawl sword, he could be more of the appropriately rush down type of sword wielder his physics suggested he'd be.

thanks for reading, and happy slashing!

TehSqueeMistro

Smash Apprentice
Both BeyondYou's and Pik's Roys look great, though I prefer BeyondYou's Roy a little more. However, both still feel a little Marth-ish to me, I think its mostly the capes that are bothering me (and their boots, Roy had fatter boots than Marth)

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Stingers. The Sword of Seals version is more vibrant and more "Brawl-ish."

RoytheRoyalBoy

Smash Cadet
Hey, i just saw the marth from project M and it looks like they got him the melee sheild breaker, is this just the Fsmash animation or is it completely different and can also be used on Roy for his flare blade?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Magus animated the Shield Breaker from scratch with some help from myself. The animation is actually rather different than F-smash, which you can see by looking at it frame by frame.

Roy will be a part of Project M via our clone engine. We've started from scratch with Melee Roy's stats, but may use some of the community Roy's ideas such as a pulling tip on some moves.

He will be released along with the rest of PM.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have a link to the overhead swinging Shield Breaker?
*wants to see it on Roy's B move like mad* :3

Also, his counter, taunts and idle stance come to mind for having his own animations.

Unique entry...

All three taunts being unique...

...If anyone knows of an animation program I could use with an old,
VERY crappy computer(*cough*98*cough*) then I could sprite some animations
to show you people what I mean. The entry looks AWESOME! I base it partially on his attack with the Fuuin no Tsurugi(Sword of Seals) from FE6 *Is a spriter, and has been one since she was 12*

Also, making Roy's eye's face straight ahead as opposed to Marth's being...Uhh...
Tilted when standing normally...I know, ramble, but I'm a perfectionist... ;_;

zaroff90

Smash Rookie
Heyy. (Sorry, first post and already troublesome).
The code that comes with the roy pack causing the game to load up during the gecko portion.
Its the code that supposedly makes marth only turn to roy on a specific color.
Any ideas?

Thany

Smash Journeyman
SUPER HAPPY FUN ANIMATION TIME!!!!

...Well...
I'm actually typing this from and even older and CRAPPIER
Windows 98-using comp, because the other one DIED from downloading
an animation prog. Lesson learned: My family's priorities are out of whack,
as they'll buy tap shoes before getting the other comp fixed/UPDATED >: /

...Lost my Roy sprites and everything I made within the past few months...

(If anyone has links to the stock Icons I made of Roy, Young Link,
Dr.Mario, Mewtwo, or those two "beta" Pichu ones I made, could you
kinda souls PM me the links? Thank you in advance <:3)

However all is not lost.

I made new Roy sprites(that, while being less detailed overall, I find look better)
that I will use as still-pictures to get my points across about Roy's Taunts and
Whatnot.

HERE WE GO~

Roy's entry animation as I envision it.

OH BOY! THE BEST PART!!! EEEEEEEEEE!!! *school girl over-excitement GO*

Yay!
Wasn't that a hoot and a holler?

Now onto:

Roy's Taunts as I imagine them.

Huzzah!
Also, I hope these pictures came out in a legible manner.
...Otherwise I'll feel like quite the fool...

Nertz...*blue-ifies* Forgot my colour... ;_;

PS. Typing this post took LITERALLY 25 minutes... >: (

RoytheRoyalBoy

Smash Cadet
wow O_O... your good lol
final smash idea?
i would say the range version of the sword of seal where fire comes out when he swings the sword downward, like his thrid up dancing blade animation or "double edge dance"

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Actually, that sounds about right Mr.Roy :3

Although, another idea I had would be...
Uh...

Anyone here played MegaMan Battle Network 5/RockMan EXE 5?
Colonel version to be more specific?

I was thinking of Roy's FS being a copy of Colonel's "Blind Rain Shower" attack...
...But with teh phire >:3 8

Essentially, he'd take his cape, detach it, then throw it.
If the cape hits a target, he will rush up to the target at light speed and stab them through
the cape 3 times, then grab his cape, throw it on his back, then I guess he(Roy) could do a
slash like Colonel's, but with fire.

...But yeah, logically, What you said Mr.Roy, his 2 panel range attack from
Fire Emblem Fuuin no Tsurugi.(Or maybe, something like Isaac's assist trophy attack, but it's
a giant flaming wave that knocks foes off screen?)

If it's an attack like his FE 6 attack, I wanna dub it "
FLARE WAVE"
If it's like the MMBN/EXE5 Blind Rain Shower, I wanna call it "
FLARE RAIN SHOWER"
(Oooo, I'm ~so~ imaginative... ;_; ) Or maybe, "
SUN FLARE RAIN"

...Sure beats a copy of Critical hit...
...Lots of stuff does in my opinion, but Crit.Hit's still better than nothing I guess...

Oh my. This project'll come together over time, it's like a gender transition.
A slow, lengthy progress of change...But Roy won't need hormones,I assume ; P

Ryo242

Smash Ace
...o.o... Thany, you never stop to amase me... In every meaning of the word.
Indeed. Those ideas are good, just only applicable to the people that have the ability to use them.

Though the day when we have less terrible Marth sounds and the far more devastating sounds of Roy's old Forward Smash... shall be a day I weep with joy.

>.< Besides that, it's not like we haven't already cracked how to replace sounds in this game, so how come Roy has been forgotten like this? The thread was nearly dead up until just recently.

Ryo242

Smash Ace
... o.o what the hell?
http://serenesforest.net/fe6/class_cap.html

Roy's stats cap at 25!? They cap at 20 at the previous rank.. that's got to be the worst Class Up for any Fire Emblem character.

... Least he gets all the ladies.

Why is that relevant? It's not. Now onto something relevant.

http://serenesforest.net/fe6/sword.htm

Am I reading that right? Sword of Seals actually used to heal? That could be integrated into his Final Smash. I would like to see a move that brings back that good ole trick that he used to have in Melee wherein a fully charged Flare Blade would explode into a nice fiery explosion.. just bigger and less dangerous to his damage. There used to be a little sprite of him doing his normal ranged attack that resulted in a move like Elfire, which would be closest to Ike's final hit of Great Aether...not that helpful since we're already using that animation.

There's no official name for the ranged move of the Sealed Sword, so I would guess a naming is in order. Since the Sealed Sword does bonus damage to dragons (and dragon type enemies), I would have to go with Dragon Slayer.

Which is kinda ironic considering he's half dragon via Ninian... And it also happens to be the name Prima gave to his Forward Smash in the Melee Strategy guide. (Amazing that I remembered that!)

http://guides.ign.com/guides/16387/page_28.html

Which can be found there.

-- I'm guessing you want something like this for his taunt, Thany?

Also, to quote the Wiki page for his victory speeches..
Roy's three victory lines are:

* "苦しい戦いだった。 (Kurushī tatakai datta。)", which translates to "It was a difficult fight."
* "真の戦いは、これからだ。 (Shin no tatakai wa, korekara da。)", which translates to "The true fight is yet to come."
* "守るべきもののために、負けられない! (Mamoru beki mono no tame ni, makerarenai!)", which translates to "For those whom I must protect, I will not lose!".
I only remember him saying three, so not sure if he says that fourth.. I guess I can go back and play for an hour or two and be sure...

And there we go. He has four.
Sound Test in Melee yields four victory taunts:
27, 33, 28 are the ones listed and the one Thani said is number 16.

Top Bottom