• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I think random QD actually works a lot more than it should lol. Surprise tactics ftw.

I probably should've been more specific though. Such as, don't use QD when your opponent is at 0%, because even if you hit, he will be able to hit you back since the lag is so bad. Also, don't start charging QD when both of you are at a neutral position, especially if the stage has platforms (if it's FD and your opponent doesn't have a projectile, you might be able to get away with it).

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I have no idea where to post this, but videos of your boy Red-X will be up shortly. Being uploaded as we speak; he'll probably come in later and link them all.

I recorded them, there are 10 matches, vs:

KirinBlaze (Link)
Jash (Link...not ToonLink, unfortunately. But his Link is ridonkulous too)
Blaze/Arrys (Pit - Jash's brother)

..yeah. So look out for that. ;]

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm not a fanboy...far from that. I just recorded all of his **** because no one else wanted to and I was bored as hell.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Double post...but I have some vids for critique. I find that I need to follow my own advice lol >_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qijrBW752TE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD2fmShMNM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8l6LbESeLw

Thanks again to Mr. Doom for uploading :D
You played solidly (with a few tactical errors) but the MK got hit with a bunch of Ike 101 stuff and often chose the wrong option for several situations (he often just flat out refused to Bthrow you, even with a perfect grab at the edge). He also has this extremely poor habit of being hit by random point blank Quick Draws and Eruptions...but enough about the MK.

I'll just give you general tips, interpret them as you will:

- Jab cancelling is always a good idea, it's free damage especially online where they won't SDI as fast as in real life. If you hit a shield with Jab1, please don't finish the combo...

- I heard a lot of the Counter opening sound. Can't say the same for the "You're open!" sound effect. If you choose to use Counter, be unpredictable. Bad places to use Counter include: 1) As the opponent has just gotten off the respawn platform and when you are on the smashville platform moving away from Meta Knight...

- Don't fish for kill moves. 80% damage does not mean use Ftilt with reckless abandon. It means look for an opening and punish accordingly.

- By the way, if you grab MK you can always air release to DA. You don't HAVE to throw them, especially at 50% when Dthrow is not a good idea and you need more time to use Bthrow.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the critique, Light. ^_^ I find that I know most of this stuff, it's just remembering it and applying it during a match that is more difficult. Need to work on that...

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I have no idea where to post this, but videos of your boy Red-X will be up shortly. Being uploaded as we speak; he'll probably come in later and link them all.

I recorded them, there are 10 matches, vs:

KirinBlaze (Link)
Jash (Link...not ToonLink, unfortunately. But his Link is ridonkulous too)
Blaze/Arrys (Pit - Jash's brother)

..yeah. So look out for that. ;]
lol, I'm not gonna post those vids for critique.
Maybe. .-.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Oh, I know they weren't bad. It's just whether or not I want them to be critiqued since I have an idea on what I did wrong and stuff.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'll just give you a few tips that should hopefully improve your game:
- please powershield thunderjolt, you were taking so much unnecessary damage because of it
- if you can't powershield it, don't try to beat it out using attacks, just normal shield it
- if you grab pikachu at 110%+, either U/Dthrow [figure out which one you like more] or just grab release to dash attack, bthrow is not as good past tumble percentages
- sdi faster, better, harder
- practice teching random stuff; when pikachu did that super cool combo on you at 3:55 it should have been perfectly avoidable if you just teched the tjolt...or just powershielded the tjolt in the first place
- that pikachu struck me [with thunder, get it??!?] as more flashy and less practical than he should have been; it would be a good idea for him to learn the basic cg to dthrow to nair

I could have given you a bit more specific stuff but if you get the basics down, the rest will come to you (for example, being intentionally hit by the Thunder at the end of your first stock would have saved you).

Good job on winning, though!

Max113

Smash Apprentice
I'll just give you a few tips that should hopefully improve your game:
- please powershield thunderjolt, you were taking so much unnecessary damage because of it
- if you can't powershield it, don't try to beat it out using attacks, just normal shield it
- if you grab pikachu at 110%+, either U/Dthrow [figure out which one you like more] or just grab release to dash attack, bthrow is not as good past tumble percentages
- sdi faster, better, harder
- practice teching random stuff; when pikachu did that super cool combo on you at 3:55 it should have been perfectly avoidable if you just teched the tjolt...or just powershielded the tjolt in the first place
- that pikachu struck me [with thunder, get it??!?] as more flashy and less practical than he should have been; it would be a good idea for him to learn the basic cg to dthrow to nair

I could have given you a bit more specific stuff but if you get the basics down, the rest will come to you (for example, being intentionally hit by the Thunder at the end of your first stock would have saved you).

Good job on winning, though!
Thanks. XD

It was wifi, so I didn't even bother trying to tech/ power shield lol. ;)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
My games with Roy_R from this last HOBO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfeesimlHwQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjFZCxqfKk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Ad6F-RxRc

I know my BIGGEST, BADDEST mistake was trying to jab or grab him after his Fair a lot. I just misjudged the spacing and shield push a BUNCH of times... more than enough to negate the times I actually got him. Pretty embarrassing to watch, actually. (I also think I rolled once or twice when I meant to pivot jab out of shield, example being :47 in game 2)

Sorry about the annoying sound in the background. There was a fan with a bent blade that was spinning and turning and bouncing in all sorts of scary directions.

Also, he never tried to counter my recovery. I realize that.

And that Dair at the beginning of game 2? It was a mistake. Dont ask, because I don't know.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Whenever you where high and offstage (most noticeable on the last match), you would usually try to air dodge or slow your momentum. In those cases against marth, I think it would help to increase momentum instead by fastfalling and maybe throwing out an aerial like fair and recovering from below. You got hit/killed many times because of those slow fall air dodging tactics.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Don't be afraid to (forward) roll behind Marth when he's grounded. Marth isn't very good at punishing rolls. Whenever I think the Marth player is gonna DB, I would just roll behind him, there's not much risk imo.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
RoyR reads hard. He will wait for you to make your move and punish accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if he could see the roll happen and punish with dancing blade. Of course, he's a good, if not very good Marth.

Rydle

Smash Rookie

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I want to show you this MM set versus neji, an spanish diddy player. I hope you enjoy it!
Er, did you want us to critique it for you? This is the thread for having videos of your gameplay critiqued, like we give you tips and stuff. I'd be happy to critique them for you if you'd like.

:034:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Very nice set. Only thing I can recommend is to think of ways you can instathrow bananas or DACIT, even if Z-dropping bananas is the easiest thing with good effectiveness.

If Diddy is inbetween 65-82, bthrow to dash attack is your friend. Nys can take care of anything else. Also, post here more, your english is just fine =)

Rydle

Smash Rookie
Er, did you want us to critique it for you? This is the thread for having videos of your gameplay critiqued, like we give you tips and stuff. I'd be happy to critique them for you if you'd like.

yes, "I hope you enjoy it" but of course I want us to critique it ;). I like to know opinions of my gameplay
---

Thanks San, I dont know about the exactly % for bthrow to dash combo on diddy. Yeah, but I need to practise DACIT throwing the items down and foward. DACIT up is very easy, but DACIT foward, backward and down, its a bit difficult

I will try to be a bit active in ike forums community, thank you for all!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
yes, "I hope you enjoy it" but of course I want us to critique it ;). I like to know opinions of my gameplay
Cool, time for me to go to work then. I'll be critiquing the second match, since you won the other two and this one seemed like the closest and most back-and-forth one anyways after watching them all.

0:14 - Always try to be 100% aware of your spacing, especially with Fair. For the most part your spacing is very good but even this one little error leads to him stringing quite a bit of damage on you.
0:16 - The only time you want to recover with QD against Diddy is on a stage like BF where you can mix it up on platforms. There's just too much danger from banana set-ups if you land on the stage and an edge-hog if you go for the ledge.
0:41 - Careful with that Dair; either move off the stage so you don't have landing lag or just stick to other aerials. In this case an Nair would have worked perfectly.
0:51 - Remember that you only want to land on-stage with Aether as an absolute last resort if they go for an edge-hog; so basically, use Aether close enough to the stage so that the option of landing on-stage is available, but don't commit yourself to it, because your opponent will notice and punish the landing lag.
0:55 - Not sure what the QD was about, it should really only be used as a recovery mix-up and for closing distance when your opponent is nowhere near.
1:14 - Nice read on the air-dodge, but a Bair would have worked much better as punishment because well... obviously it would have hit, and he would then be off-stage with that moving platform over there. That could lead to some interesting edge-guard options for you, provided you read his recovery, which you did well most of the match. Remember to always keep Bair in mind as your best on-reaction punisher.
1:41 - That has got to be the luckiest powershield I have ever seen. Between the spot dodge and the banana I was thinking "he's getting Fsmashed for sure here".
2:14 - Throwing out an aerial while returning to the stage is sometimes a good option, particularly if you heavily outrange the opponent, but in this case that platform would have screwed you up even if he didn't use his Fair so fast. Just be very careful about when you choose to attack while returning from off-stage.
2:42 - You seemed to be doing much better when you were pressuring his return to the stage with retreating Fairs, and notice when you started to get defensive here he punished your shield with his sideB. Being on your last stock doesn't warrant a change in tact unless what you were doing wasn't working.
3:01 - Evidently you noticed that as well, nice edge-guarding during this part.
3:22 - I don't know if I agree with that Uair; at that % you know he's just going to hold his shield, and Diddy is too short for Uair to shield poke. Pressuring his shield with the banana and going for a grab would have been better, and could have led to an Fthrow off-stage -> edge-guard.
3:39 - Once again, if he's just on the ground it's going to be hard to bait him into lowering his shield at that high of a %. That Usmash was risky, and just sticking to what's been working for you so far would have been better. An opportunity to KO would have eventually presented itself.
3:46 - Heh, as soon as he landed on that platform with you I was hoping you'd pratfall -> Bair, but instead he got the pratfall -> Uair. With Ike, your main priority has to be getting beneath your opponent if possible; so if you're on a platform with them, drop beneath it while pressuring them, even if you think you see an opportunity to Jab.

Overall, that was a very solid performance, and you played even better in your other two matches (obviously, you won them). It was quite entertaining to watch actually. I pointed out a lot of things above for two reasons basically: you're clearly a good player so I nitpicked as much as possible instead of ignoring the little things, and I haven't done a critique in awhile, lol.

There's just a few minor things that you can work on, like San mentioned with different mix-ups of banana use, and being aware of your playing style when in a clutch situation. There were very subtle differences but I definitely noticed that you got more defensive on that last stock, and in most cases it didn't work out too well for you.

Also, do you happen to know what that song is on Smashville for the second video? It was pretty catchy.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
---

Thanks San, I dont know about the exactly % for bthrow to dash combo on diddy. Yeah, but I need to practise DACIT throwing the items down and foward. DACIT up is very easy, but DACIT foward, backward and down, its a bit difficult

I will try to be a bit active in ike forums community, thank you for all!
Down is not possible. At least, so concluded my testing sometime LAST year. Forward and backward are the same as up.. except you press the control stick only a little bit up from the side. Go into training for 5-10 minutes and you'll have it down.

Rydle

Smash Rookie
Thank you Nysyarc, I'm agree with most of your comments. I think my main problem is that sometimes I play an insane (mad) style, so I have basic spacing mistakes, like 0:14 (LOL) and anothers evident mistakes in that match

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah i think i'll be trying out some of your tactics for diddy, they seemed to be quite good.
also i didnt realise there was any other ike mains in europe looks like i have 'local' competition after all

Blubolouis

Smash Lord

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Hey I hear the Macross Frontier second opening "Lion". Me posting that alone would not be helpful at all, so I'm gonna try and critique.

Generally, try to jab1 more and try other ways to get back on stage from the ledge like ledge hopped air dodges.

Wait for the better Ikes to critique, I suck at this.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Falco specific stuff:
-When he's shooting lasers just walk and shield them; it's easier and you'll probably take less damage than attempting to jump through
-If you want to use upsmash against phantasm, get a bit closer to the edge first, then dash and upsmash. This is because he will most likely just go for the edge if you are just standing in the middle of the stage. Don't use eruption for this since upsmash is better in nearly every way. Jabbing phantasm is another option too.
-Falco can't deal with planking very effectively, so you can just drop off and regrab the ledge/Aetherplank to throw of their timing/mix up your recovery.
-Dash attack used correctly is pretty effective against SHDL

General stuff:

-Don't finish the jab combo if its not going to hit
-Jab cancel more
-Don't always spotdodge when you mess up; some other options are shielding, walking/dashing/jumping away, and even just throwing out jab.
-Nair is usually better than upair after a dthrow at low %; Nair more in general
-Upthrow isn't that good; most of the time it would be better to use dthrow. In your cases it would have been better to go for the bthrow to dash attack/just throw them offstage
-As Jam said, ledgehopped airdodges are a good option when trying to get back on the stage.

Hope this helps! You can also go read the Ike guide if you haven't already :D

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hi everyone, I'm a french Ike player and this is my first time posting on this board.
I've managed to get some recent matches of me against a friend of mine who plays falco.
Could you please critique my ike and tell me what i'm doing wrong in this particular MU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heI0mTadePQ&feature=related
I chose to critique the third match on Castle Siege, so here it goes.

0:06 - Against Falco you do not want to be right next to him boxing at low percent. Remember that the first thing 99% of Falco players will want to do at the start of a match is grab you and chaingrab. So keep your spacing with Nairs on the edge of his shield, force him to slowly trade blows with you until you're out of chaingrab range (~50%).
0:14 - Using Aether low to avoid lasers like that is very dangerous, if he was closer to the ledge or if he read that, he could have easily edge-hogged you. What you need to do to avoid the lasers is just use Aether immediately after being hit by one, it will often throw them off and then you have the option of grabbing the ledge or landing on-stage if necessary.
0:21 - Never stay on top of platforms too long, and if you're opponent is under you, move away quick. Ike's strongest position is beneath his opponents, and his weakest is above them. Do not use a Dair into the ground though, stick to Nair or Fair while coming down.
0:27 - You need to be pressuring him on that platform, short hop and Nair/Uair to try and punish a dodge, or use an Utilt/charge an Usmash if you're feeling confident of a read. Dashing back and forth beneath him won't accomplish much at all.
0:33 - You definitely need to stop the run-up Grab attempts. Approach with aerial attacks like Nairs and Jabs if you think they will spot-dodge, which this guy likes to do a lot. Ike generally has a low grab reward except in certain situations (near the ledge where you can get Bthrow -> Dash Attack for example).
0:52 - Now was your chance to short hop Quick Draw onto that platform above him and then pivot, pratfall and Bair him. Sounds like a lot, but it can be executed very quickly and he wouldn't have had time to react while spamming lasers at that distance. Practice QD onto platforms in training mode and following up with pratfall Bairs.
0:58 to 1:09 - You have to always be conscious of all the options that Ike has in every situation. During this section of the video, Falco should not have hit you first. Ike has one move perfectly suited for that situation: Aether. Pressure him by using Aether so that you land below the platform he is on; you had plenty of opportunities to do this safely here.
1:35 - That was definitely a good moment to ledge drop, double jump and Bair. Obviously if you grab the ledge he has no choice but to Phantasm above the stage (his upB doesn't go far enough), and you know he can't go too high above the stage. So either an Fair or a Bair after a ledge drop double jump would have worked great. Preferably the Bair so he would be off-stage again.
1:43 - Standing still away from the ledge like that is not the best way to go for baiting a recovery. You just went for the edge hog so you want him to think you'll do it again. Stand so Ike is wobbling at the edge and then right when you think he'll go for the Phantasm on stage, retreat and get him with a partially charged Usmash for the KO.
2:00 - You definitely should have seen that Fsmash coming, he was getting very predictable. You should have waited it out on the ledge and punished the Fsmash with that Fair instead of getting too aggressive.
2:37 - Never just air-dodge when you're popped up into the air like that, it's asking to be punished. Always be aware of those situations and either jump away or return with an Nair/Fair instead of an air dodge.
2:42 - You really should just double jump and air dodge onto the stage after a ledge drop like that; if the QD hits his shield or he spot-dodges you're screwed, if he sees it coming you're screwed, if you hit him at that low of a percent you're screwed... QD back to the stage like that is very rarely a good option, let alone the best option.
2:48 - Falco tends to fall too fast for Jab -> Dtilt to work, unless you can get him very high with Jab cancels first. In this case you should have just completed the three Jab hits and edge-guarded; you can't get too greedy when you're down by that much. Take what you can get.
3:14 - Knowing the percents that Bthrow -> DA will generally work is important, and pay attention to the arc of your opponent when you throw them too. I figured you would go for the DA follow-up and I also realized it wouldn't work the moment I saw the angle you threw him at, it was too high (not your fault obviously, he just had too much %). Learn to identify that and run up -> Jab instead of DA.
3:19 - Try not to come down right above your opponent if you can help it. Move away and reset your spacing so you can have a safe return down to the stage. Obviously coming down above him cost you the stock here.
4:17 - Uair really isn't the best follow-up to Dthrow at low percents, because it requires a hard read on what direction they're going, and it's not very safe on landing. Stick to Nair so that it can punish an air dodge and leave you with minimal landing lag. Rule of thumb: almost anything any of your aerials can do, Nair can do better (with the exception of KOing).
4:30 - You have to be very fast on the Out of Shield options, dropping your shield and Jabbing would have been perfect right after that Usmash.
4:43 - FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF... Uthrow? A grab right by the ledge and... Uthrow!!?? Lol, okay so it's not that terrible but really, when you get a grab like that, Bthrow and then edge guard. Uthrow cannot possibly string into anything or lead to any kind of early KO opportunity at all.
4:56 - I hope that brief glimpse of an Fsmash wasn't intentional, obviously it's not your best option when you're right next to your opponent at 130% on your last stock.
5:05 - You started that Usmash waaay too early, make sure that you take the time to move towards him a bit and bait the Phantasm first. If you just hang back and charge a smash he'll see no reason to speed in there when he can... well, do what he did and get the KO, lol.

Overall, definitely needs a bit of work, but you seem to know generally what moves to use. As usual there was one Dair into the ground... I can't critique a single video, no matter how reputable the Ike player is, where they don't Dair into the ground at least once. Please try your best not to do it, Dair has disgusting amounts of landing lag and no horizontal range at all.

Go for less grabs after approaching, a lot less. Use quick aerials like Nair on a short hop or run up Jabs instead. Space your aerials carefully though, don't just jump straight at your opponent, make sure the tip of your sword is hitting them and then retreat. Also, do not feel a need to mix up your throws. Bthrow and Fthrow are your best throws (mostly Bthrow). Uthrow is your worst. Dthrow has a few uses at low percents. Use them accordingly.

Make sure to use stage gimmicks to your advantage, particularly platforms. Stay beneath the platforms and try to keep your opponent above them. If you find yourself above them and your opponent below them, do not fall straight down on top of them. Reset your spacing away from them and come down safely so you can resume fighting on level ground (aiming to get them above you again).

That's all I can think of right now for summary, I know this is a pretty huge wall of text but I hope you take the time to read most of it; your Ike shows definite potential, so just keep practicing and working on some of these things!

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Ok, thank you very much for the critique! I'll start working on that right now.

I'm still trying to get used to Nair with the Cstick but I can't get my spacing right using it :/ I never manage to make good use of its range which is according to everyone, incredibly good x) Guess i'll get it eventually.

Perhaps I'll ask for another critique once I've managed to improve a bit :)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I don't actually use Ike in tournament or anything at the moment, but I do use him in friendlies from time to time, and I recently had a video of my Ike uploaded because of a really silly first stock. :x Even though I don't main him, I would love to improve my Ike a bit, so if anybody has any tips for me, I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRf3O7RNfgo

It's a short match, so there isn't a whole lot there, but even just a few suggestions of things I could work on to get me started would be great. =]

:008:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRf3O7RNfgo

It's a short match, so there isn't a whole lot there, but even just a few suggestions of things I could work on to get me started would be great. =]

:008:
Whoa, you're fighting a toucan. Nice. Anyways, I'll get right into the critique. Not much needs to be said about the first stock, lol. Nice reads at a few parts there. I'll start the critique from after that first stock.

0:48 - I've found that double-jump AD maneuver to get back on-stage doesn't work too well on PS1 and PS2; even ignoring that, make sure you always use Aether facing the stage unless you are able to safely move under the stage like on BF or SV. This is for a few reasons: the hitboxes are mostly in front of you on the way up, and you can move further forwards during the animation than you can backwards.
0:54 - Definitely not the time for an Fsmash no matter how hard a read you thought you made. Fmash should only be used as an attempted KO move around 50 to 60%, and even then, a reverse sliding Usmash is much better for punishing Falco's Phantasm than Fsmash.
0:55 - Watch Falco while he's spamming lasers like that; if he goes for a double laser you can sneak under it with your DA, likely hitting him off-stage. If he goes for a single laser, either take the opportunity to jump over it or PS and advance.
0:58 - Falco will be looking for a grab at all times when you're at low percents, so jump away and reset your spacing if you're too close to him after he hits you like that. Keep at about Fair range and use Fairs/Nairs/Jabs to pick at him. You will take damage from lasers and whatnot as well, but it's better to trade blows with him up to around 50% than to get chaingrabbed.
1:21 - Jab 1 should never be followed by a run-up (another example of this at 2:22), either follow immediately with another Jab 1 after canceling (if they don't DI or DI towards you), Jab 2 (if they DI away from you), or a grab (if they DI up and slightly towards you). You have to be careful with characters like Falco and ZSS who have fast Jabs that can be used between your jab canceling. It's best to just use the three hits of your Jab combo on them.
1:24 - Be aware of that spot-dodge, you had plenty of time to punish with Jab there but the unnecessary spot-dodge cut that time almost completely. Still, right after the spot-dodge it looks like the beginning of an Ftilt, it could have been a miss-input since you had to turn around, but make sure you're only using Jab at that close proximity. If you are not confident with your ability to turn around and immediately Jab, shield or roll away and reset your spacing.
1:27 - Fair would have been much better here for a lot of reasons. Nair is amazing during the damage-racking phase, but this close to the ledge and at that %, it's better to hit him off-stage than to pop him up gently into the air again. Also, obviously Fair's range would have... well, allowed you to actually hit him, lol.
1:31 - When you land close like that after a SHAD, you should be throwing out a Jab right away. It's a much better idea than immediately spot-dodging, especially against a character with fast close-range options like Falco.
1:55 - You should stop with the crouching, lol. You had plenty of time to Jab him there, and under the circumstances, going for a Jab would have been your best bet since he has to approach you to KO, and chose to do so without a laser first.
2:01 - You must not be fully used to Nair's landing lag. If you go into training mode and practice SHFFing Nairs repeatedly and buffering a jump again as early as possible after landing, you'll be much quicker after an Nair. In this case you had time to use that Fair while jumping backwards as soon as he started dashing towards you.
2:25 - Seems like you were getting a bit too desperate and he was reading it here, you don't have to throw out an aerial every time you jump, and often it's better not to with Ike. Figure out how your opponent responds to you using an aerial attack (holding shield on, spot dodging, retaliating, etc...) and try to bait that reaction with an empty jump and then punish with a grab (if they shield), Jab (if they spot-dodge) or an aerial on a retreating jump (if they use a lengthy attack).
2:29 - I saw that one coming as soon as you jumped; it's a much better idea with Ike, especially at higher percents, to just let yourself fall down after being knocked a short distance off-stage (saving your double-jump), and then rely on a mix-up of your double jump and Aether to get safely back to the stage. Just make sure you don't put yourself in a position where it's easy to have Aether edge-hogged. Also, if you are going to jump back immediately like that, use an Fair instead of QD, and abuse it's range by only moving forward enough to hit your opponent with the tip of it.

Overall not too bad, but your ability to be unpredictable kind of fell apart after the first stock. There was no Dsmash used, so that's good, lol. However, there was of course a Dair into the ground (like in every video I critique) at 0:51 which I didn't comment on because you had invincible frames at the time... but please don't Dair into the ground.

You need to use Jab more often, and follow up your first Jab more consistently. Every time you get that first Jab in, your opponent should be taking at LEAST 16% damage if the combo is fresh. There were several times when you got nothing but the first Jab because you tried to follow it up inefficiently. Also, be aware of your opponent's percent and use moves accordingly. Nair early on for stringing other moves and damage racking, and moves to get him off-stage like Fair and Bair later. I didn't see too much Bair use, try to use it more often too.

Also, spot-dodging, just try to always keep in your mind while playing that Jab is a better option than a spot-dodge 90% of the time. Asa did a good job at reading your spot-dodges here, most notably that Ftilt at the very end right before he spiked you, and in most of those cases you could have gotten him (or at least pressured his shield and then retreated) with a Jab instead.

Not much else I can think of to wrap it up; you certainly know what you're doing for the most part but there's definitely some room for improvement. Keep on practicing and Jabbing.
:)

ChaosMagician

Smash Cadet
ill be posting a video tommorrow...hope you like my style of how i use ike ;)

cuz i am borrowing my grandparents wii like i said but im at my house so i wont be able to tonight. n the reason i say my style is cuz my brawling buddies and I dont see many people use ike the way i do.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Good stuff. Feel free to save some replays from the bi-weekly this weekend as well. If I happen to play you I can save the replays and I'm sure I can find someone to upload them. If you have some good replays on hand now, that's perfect too. Remember to try not to use replays where you win; it's easier to critique if it's a MU you have some difficulty with.

Top Bottom