• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

strong weapon and biggest weakness

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
alot of the falcos i see overuse lasers and get hit while using lasers all the time. spamming lasers will get you messed up. any thoughts on good times to use lasers?

G.L.

Smash Apprentice
when ever your opponent is close enough to punish them i guess

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
when ever your opponent is close enough to punish them i guess
pfft. that's scrub advice. if you're standing next to a marth and you're both facing each other in shield, jump back and SHL. he's plenty close enough to punish (fair oos would **** you). try it. see how often they get you.

anytime that shooting a laser shuts down your opponent's options, gets you more space, forces them to approach, or tacks on damage when none of your other options would do the same thing better, shoot a laser.

shoot lasers low to force your opponents to fulljump, then **** them. shoot them high to bait dash attacks then **** those. just use them to control your opponents movements. the lasers themselves are trivial, it's the space control that's so valuable.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Ever try using laser just as another move, rather than specifically as a spammable projectile?

This really opens up a falco players view on how the laser can be useful outside of simply pressuring/spamming/camping. Just like there's a time to bair, a time to uptilt, and a time to downsmash, there's a time to laser. If you try using it like that, then it becomes one more weapon in your arsenal rather than "strong weapon and biggest weakness". Of course, after you get this down, you can go back to lasering a lot, but with a new view that allows you to see when and when not to.

I didn't really answer "when's a good time to use lasers?" but I did answer the thread title... close enough =P

LushLahti

Smash Cadet
Ever try using laser just as another move, rather than specifically as a spammable projectile?

This really opens up a falco players view on how the laser can be useful outside of simply pressuring/spamming/camping. Just like there's a time to bair, a time to uptilt, and a time to downsmash, there's a time to laser. If you try using it like that, then it becomes one more weapon in your arsenal rather than "strong weapon and biggest weakness". Of course, after you get this down, you can go back to lasering a lot, but with a new view that allows you to see when and when not to.

I didn't really answer "when's a good time to use lasers?" but I did answer the thread title... close enough =P
WTF your posts are so sexy.

VAL0

Smash Cadet

This is a good answer

You have to understand why you are lasering. Which is to establish stage control and force your opponent to approach. And when they do, thats your chance to go on the offensive. You can't just laser without thinking about it.

XAQ

Smash Apprentice
falco's biggest weakness is his recovery; if you get knocked off the stage you're pretty much screwed

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
really I would go as far as to say get hit in general, recovery isn't great but just getting hit sucks a lot as falco. luigi/mario/dr. mario are cases where it's just their recovery.

if someone lands a good move to set up combos on falco there's a decent chance hi'll get knocked off and take a fair amount of damage. Really if falco could take a hit his recovery would be the issue more than anything esle.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
really I would go as far as to say get hit in general, recovery isn't great but just getting hit sucks a lot as falco. luigi/mario/dr. mario are cases where it's just their recovery.

if someone lands a good move to set up combos on falco there's a decent chance hi'll get knocked off and take a fair amount of damage. Really if falco could take a hit his recovery would be the issue more than anything esle.
You've obviously never played a great luigi...

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
So great luigis somehow have different recovery moves compared to average luigis?
That's weird.
to be honest, it often feels that way.

mediocre luigis, you just shine spike them every stock lol

good luigis, well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qrtHyHuxuc

check the ending

also, falco has a good recovery in a lot of ways. it's short, sure, but he has a lot of options that characters like ganon, sheik, falcon don't have. shine stalling gives him the same kind of delay that marth gets with his forward+B, and the speed of the side B gives you an extra mixup option. falco's recovery is only "bad" from a shallow perspective

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
So great luigis somehow have different recovery moves compared to average luigis?
That's weird.
good Luigi players just have better DI and avoid getting put in situations where you get shinespiked easily.

with good DI you can avoid recovering below the stage as much. Try playing a level 9 Luigi and trying to hit him far offstage. Plus there's height from the up B, knowing how to use the various recovery moves in order, etc.

@ Toph, well you kind of put yourself in that situation when you didn't need to =\ you could have waited to shinespike him as he side B'd

Top Bottom