• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hip Hop: The Poetic Side

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
So, basically what this guy wants me to do is accept bad music and attempt to enjoy it.

Nope, sorry. Soulja Boy is ****ing horrid, and so are most mainstream artists from a majority of musical genres today (IE: Brokencyde, Dimmu Borgir). It comes from every single side of the music community, not just rap or hip hop.

Music today is ****.

ITT: Trying to justify why certain sucky music should be acceptable.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
So, basically what this guy wants me to do is accept bad music and attempt to enjoy it.
No you read the bold phrase from kweli's interview. He means instead of taking a negative view of soulja boy, wayne, etc. take a positive view on the artists you do like. Don't bash someone else because of their opinion, just try to broaden their horizons a bit.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If you'd stop being ignorant you would see that the majority of us in here dislike mainstream music. Read the whole interview before you jump to conclusions.

.Marik

is a social misfit

Nope, sorry. Soulja Boy is ****ing horrid, and so are most mainstream artists from a majority of musical genres today (IE: Brokencyde, Dimmu Borgir). It comes from every single side of the music community, not just rap or hip hop.

Music today is ****.

ITT: Trying to justify why certain sucky music should be acceptable.
If you'd stop being ignorant you would see that the majority of us in here dislike mainstream music. Read the whole interview before you jump to conclusions.
Bolded part is really all you need to know.

Mainstream is garbage. Don't kid yourself, we especially understand this.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Read "The Gospel of Hip Hop" by KRS-One.
Everyone.

I do not like mainstream, but a lot of people like the gangsta rap persona and think that it is great and are entertained by it. KRS-One and the rest of the Temple of Hip Hop are preserving the traditional Hip Hop.

For real read it though.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I can't hear it for some reason.

And it's coming along well... at the moment I'm still working and saving for studio time. The home studio thing wasn't the best idea... but I'm still gonna get a midi keyboard & a roland drum machine so I can make some beats and record it in a studio. I'm also gonna start going to spoken word poetry places.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
It works for me...idk...maybe I can PM them to you.

And a home studio is a LOT of work, money, and time. There isn't anywhere you can record around where you live? And I'm not familar with beat making. SPoken word is dope; helps with deep songs IMO. Lookin forward to hearing something from you :).

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
It works for me...idk...maybe I can PM them to you.

And a home studio is a LOT of work, money, and time. There isn't anywhere you can record around where you live? And I'm not familar with beat making. SPoken word is dope; helps with deep songs IMO. Lookin forward to hearing something from you :).
I know, by home studio I meant like headphones a keyboard and a drum machine lmao.
and idk if you could put them on youtube that would be ideal.

and yeah spoken word is dope. im gonna try to get an EP done by the end of the year, and release it on iTunes and CD stores in my area.

and i live in Oakland, im sure theres plenty of places to record

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Right on, cookiMONster. Raise awareness about true hip hop! Also, noticed you left out Scarface on the list. Not a fan, or just forgot?

EDIT: Also UGK.

EDIT: Also Public Enemy.

EDIT: Also Run DMC.

Top Bottom