• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
>implying that obtaining a spike would make a character ridiculous, disregarding multiple aspects on spikes such as ease of set up, hitbox/disjointedness, priority, speed, and more.

stare.png
laugh.gif

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'd personally color those blue if you know where the texture data for these graphics are.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
>implying that obtaining a spike would make a character ridiculous, disregarding multiple aspects on spikes such as ease of set up, hitbox/disjointedness, priority, speed, and more.

stare.png
laugh.gif
you have no idea what you're talking about. that was my point. i was regarding the ease of setup and other **** which is why i couldn't think of any at that moment.. just.. stop.. seriously..
i also said i can't think of any chars that WOULD be ridiculous with a spike.

did i once say.. spike = ridiculous... no..

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Now that spin attack looks much better, now just needs some recolor.

Mans, wouldn't be better to give a Spike hitbox to every Meteor Attack?

I mean, Marth's Dair Meteoring in the front and Spiking in the Back, Nipple spike like.

That way, people will need to train a little more to know how to land their spikes. If that is possible anyway.

I never liked the idea of only some characters having spikes while other only get Meteors, every character that have a Meteor should get a Spike on it and every character that only spikes should get a meteor hitbox. Or just make everyone only spike or make everyone only meteor.

However there's no reason to not make some characters spike more easier to use or more difficult.

A spike sends you to a very fatal trajectory without a chance of stopping it, they should not be to easy to do.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Unused Link animation looks awesome.

And even though it's not balancing time, I think it's obvious that some meteor's like Ike and Mario's should be spikes in the end. They're both simple, but helpful (and deserved), buffs.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Meteors that are easy to land shouldn't really be spikes. The more difficult ones perhaps should be.

Ganon doesn't need his Dair to be a spike really. Not so sure ike needs it either. Mario perhaps could use it.

If everyone who has a meteor gets a spike as well then they stop being special don't they?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
About those Link effects, gonna put those in my set of hacks for regular brawl, what's the value for the effect?

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Meteors that are easy to land shouldn't really be spikes. The more difficult ones perhaps should be.

Ganon doesn't need his Dair to be a spike really. Not so sure ike needs it either. Mario perhaps could use it.

If everyone who has a meteor gets a spike as well then they stop being special don't they?
Not exactly

if the spike hitbox is located in a difficult area of the move, the player will likely more often meteor.

if the spike hitbox is located in a easy area of the move, then the character can rely more on it.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Not exactly

if the spike hitbox is located in a difficult area of the move, the player will likely more often meteor.

if the spike hitbox is located in a easy area of the move, then the character can rely more on it.
True. However, another issue i see is that they said they were not going to nerf top tiers. If they make marth's and falco's spikes harder to hit then that counts as nerfing right?

D

Deleted member

Can those new up-b effects be changed to look like Melee's? Like adding in some purple?

Cool find.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Oh yes. Because Falco's dair is sooooo hard to hit with right? That's why it should be a spike?

/sarcasm

How about giving a spike to characters who need a good buff?

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
Inb4application

i think they're still accepting testers =/

-edit-
Oh yes. Because Falco's dair is sooooo hard to hit with right? That's why it should be a spike?

/sarcasm
-sigh- I know HIS isn't hard to hit with.
But. They. Arent. Nerfing. Top. Tiers. So don't think me saying that meant i wasn't aware of his spike being easy to land. I am. I simply don't think they should go and hand out spikes to everyone is all. If the meteor is very situational and hard to land then sure why not make it a spike? But we don't need another falco level spike so if it's easy to land i think it should stay a meteor.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
True. However, another issue i see is that they said they were not going to nerf top tiers. If they make marth's and falco's spikes harder to hit then that counts as nerfing right?
They can be character whose spikes is easy to land. They are part of their games, they can't be taken away from those character.

But something like modifying without nerfing such as marth only spiking in the back of his dair would force more creative ways of using it offstage.

Also, with the new Meteor Cancelling, Meteors will be more reliable regardless of the spikes.

I am talking more about another characters. Something strong like Ganondorf Dair would not be wise to give an easy spike hitbox.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Halberd, no it does not, it meteors.

Spikes = You can't meteor cancel it (Falco's Dair)
Meteors = You can meteor cancel it (Ike's Dair)

Can smashers PLEASE understand the difference nowadays? Is it really that hard to call Ike's Dair a meteor? I've always hated the misuse of the word spike and it only happens because there are no spikes in Brawl so people who play Brawl exclusively have no idea what spike actually refers to.

Ike's Dair once again does not spike.
You are WRONG.

Stop trolling.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
know i said i was taking a break from this thread. still true. still, i'd like to point out that the meteor cancel system in this is custom, is it not? the window you can cancel from, that is. that really should be taken into account as well in this discussion.

and, of course, "not balancing stage yet"

Revven

FrankerZ
You are WRONG.

Stop trolling.
How was a I trolling when I clearly was only stating the facts?...

Ike's Dair isn't a spike, it's a meteor, I just looked at it in PSA. All of its angles (except the weak pop up hitboxes it has) have an angle of 270º, which is not a spike. That is a meteor, spikes are the angles between 590°-670°. Ike's Dair is meteor cancelable, making it a meteor smash it's just a really strong meteor at high %s much like Ganondorf's.

So... what am I wrong about exactly? If I'm wrong about terms, I'm not, let's consult the smashwiki.

That's all I have to say on this though so I'm done.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace

Ike's Dair isn't a spike, it's a meteor, I just looked at it in PSA. All of its angles (except the weak pop up hitboxes it has) have an angle of 270º, which is not a spike. That is a meteor, spikes are the angles between 590°-670°. Ike's Dair is meteor cancelable, making it a meteor smash.

So... what am I wrong about exactly? If I'm wrong about terms, I'm not, let's consult the smashwiki.

I think he was joking..

OverLade

Smash Hero

Ike's Dair isn't a spike, it's a meteor, I just looked at it in PSA. All of its angles (except the weak pop up hitboxes it has) have an angle of 270º, which is not a spike. That is a meteor, spikes are the angles between 590°-670°. Ike's Dair is meteor cancelable, making it a meteor smash it's just a really strong meteor at high %s much like Ganondorf's.

I think he was joking..

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
just read 3 pages of bickering about spikes and their effect on a game none of you have played
you are children

Alphatron

Smash Champion
The best idea ever would be to give every character who has an aerial meteor smash a spike instead. You eliminate the ridiculous concept of meteor cancelling and you force everyone to learn how to SDI to avoid death or not get hit by bad moves such as Zelda's dair and then complain that they were unable to meteor cancel it.

Yes, this is obviously the only solution!

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Now that spikes are possible, I'd like to make a couple suggestions.

First off, IMO, Ike, Ganon, and Zard should never have spikes or spike hitboxes on their dairs. However, their meteors should be very powerful on stage as well as off. Melee Ganon can kill some chars at around 100% by dairing on stage and I think Ike and Zard should pick up that trait. Its also handy for comboing.

Secondly, Luigi's meteor hitbox should be replace with a spiking one. It hits with an angled motion like Falco's and it would be a nice minor buff for Luigi. Granted, it isn't as dangerous for Luigi to use off stage like Falco but Luigi's recovery is still anus and his metoer hitbox is at his hips so its still semi-situational. I also originally thought it would be a good idea for Samus to get a spike because she makes a Marth dair- like motion but then I realized that if her recovery is anything like Melee's as long as she is facing towards the stage she can use it wherever she wants... so don't give it to samus (just thought I'd say that)

And thirdly, I think Wolf should be able to spike (but maybe with just his legs, a spike on a downward motion doesn't make sense imo). I only say this because Wolf is a fast faller and his meteor has a lot of start up lag (which is worse than a lot of endlag) so his dair won't be as effective as a combo finisher compared to Marth and Falco. Idk, maybe a foot-spike makes more sense on Diddy. I'm not really sure but I thought I'd just say this anway.

And finally, while this doesn't have much to do with spikes, I think you should increase the meteor power of Kirby's dair. I know, it sounds broke, but a lot characters have VERY unbalanced attributes. Jiggs can press a button and kill you, ICs have guaranteed KO at 130-150 with grab and dsmash/fsmash, Fox's usmash and uair kill at 100% and his dair to usmash is a guaranteed KO setup at high percentages... so a moderately stronger dair wouldn't be too OP'd, especially if the opponent still has their jump. Also, it would give Kirby more of his 64 qualities. Which is good.

edit: sorry about the wall of text

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
it's a trivial mechanic that adds little to the game. perhaps at a later date when we're working on lower tiered characters it will be included, however it is not certain.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
What we do with spikes really depends on whether or not we can fix the MC system -- currently the window does not begin until 26, making most current meteors arguably more potent than Melee's true spikes. Also, fail windows are missing on many actions.

Wind Owl is looking for this window.

Until we can fix this and know our available options, I wouldn't waste any time in this thread arguing about how the system should work.

ZeroUnderOne

Smash Apprentice
it's a trivial mechanic that adds little to the game. perhaps at a later date when we're working on lower tiered characters it will be included, however it is not certain.
Good to know it's a possibility, and that at least you guys know what it is. I agree with you that it's minor detail, I just see it as a way for yoshi to jump psuedo-OoS/option vs shield pressure

plus sheermadness is insanely good at doing it, parry+cc makes his melee yoshi soo **** :)

D

Deleted member

Ike doesn't need a dair as strong as Ganon's because he gets utility elsewhere with the sourspot of his dair into an utilt, usmash, or uair.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Stop talking about spikes vs. meteors everyone. You'll just get the same response and you'll just make me mad.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Ike doesn't need a dair as strong as Ganon's because he gets utility elsewhere with the sourspot of his dair into an utilt, usmash, or uair.
Couldn't the power of his sweet spot be changed indepently from his sour spot? If that is possible then you could have both.

Also, Ike would probably get more mileage from a powerful dair. He could dair to bair finish like C. Falcon/Ganon can dair to fair finish. Additionally, sweetspotted dair set up would be safer than sourspot dair set up because you are attack mostly with a the disjointed part of the attack.

Edit: nvm rPSI said no more meteor or spike talk. My bad.

G

genkaku

I asked before, but was swallowed up by spike "discussion."
Will the weaker dash dances be improved?

(please say yes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom