• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Video & Critique Thread - READ OP.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
lol mk getting KO at 61% on FD
im not sure what to say on this one myself the mk wasnt that good and very predictable he always did upb to down smash
I know that.
I just felt I could have done better so I asked for critique.
I would show a better fight but they all got my face in it and my parents rly don't want me to show my face, srry just thought this was better than nothing.

JNB328522

Smash Apprentice
I know that.
I just felt I could have done better so I asked for critique.
I would show a better fight but they all got my face in it and my parents rly don't want me to show my face, srry just thought this was better than nothing.
Thats fine I still dont have a video of my fox yet as a matter of fact

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
too much standing lasers, in the first one you were always approaching with dash attack switch it up a lil, don't roll all the time rolling is almost always bad. you ran right into that smash attack and died at 82% you could have recovered differently.

I can't rly explain anything else sry that's my tid bit of info.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
too much standing lasers, in the first one you were always approaching with dash attack switch it up a lil, don't roll all the time rolling is almost always bad. you ran right into that smash attack and died at 82% you could have recovered differently.

I can't rly explain anything else sry that's my tid bit of info.
First I'm told to stop spotdodging and roll more now im told to stop rolling?

The player I was playing doesn't really know how to get around the standing lasers without reflecting them with Mario's cape.

So check the second one and the first one I know i did too much Dash attacks.

But the second one has too many SH > Dairs.

After watching these videos myself I realized I did those way too much.

Lesleyk

Smash Apprentice
Killerjawz, is it possible you could change my name in the OP from lesleyk -> Lesje.

Got a big tournament in the netherlands (europe ;d) coming up. Training for it so I can hopefully put some GF fox videos up

PBnJ

Smash Cadet
@Crappycola: You play a very high-risk high-reward style fox. Here's what I noticed after watching it (note: this is not a very in-depth critique, and I'm not trying to be mean or anything so don't be offended).

1. Laser more effectively. A lot of your lasering came while you were grounded, which is generally not a good idea. It destroys your mobility and there is (significant enough) lag while you put your gun away.

2. SHDair in front of an opponent (especially on shields) is a huge no-no. It is incredibly easy to punish. This applies to all aerials, but you seemed to over-use Dair more than the others.

3. You attack shields incorrectly. Your spacing needs work. You shouldn't commit so heavily to your assaults. You basically throw moves out and if you miss with it, you get punished. If you space better you will minimize this problem.

4. Too much rolling. You weren't spamming it like a n00b, but there were many situations that it was a bad idea to roll, but the snake was unable to punish you for it.

5. I don't think you know what walking is haha. You sprinted after the snake everywhere. Walking will definitely help you with spacing and will help minimize the damage you take from hits that you could have seen coming more easily had you not been running headlong into them.

6. DI. UAir is the best horizontal momentum cancel. I'm actually not 100% sure if DAir is better than UAir for vertical momentum cancel, but I'm pretty sure it is.

7. I saw you recover with firefox several times. This is usually a pretty bad idea. Illusion is almost always better for recovering.

8. Get more familiar with fox's Out of Shield options. I'm pretty sure I saw you Nair out of shield a time or two, but USmash OoS is pretty beastly given the proper circumstances.

Your item use was okay. Too many people are scared to death of picking up grenades. You were rewarded far too heavily though because this snake player was really bad.

I was glad that you were recovering with rising FAir.

Also, this was a very strange tourney. 6:00 for the match? And in the background I could hear the TO announcing that items and team-attack were the choice of the players O.o

Very legit.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
Yeah it was a eventish kinda tourney at a library, no entree fee or venu so that got lots of attention.
singles were still standard rules cept for the timer though.

About the lasering I'm used to playing on wi-fi where jumping lasers almost never work due to lag so I've gotten used to doing standing it's a bad habit I gotta break x_x
I'm guessing OoS means out of shield but idk what a SHDair is.

Thanks for the critique though was starting to wonder if anyone was gonna say anything.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it was a eventish kinda tourney at a library, no entree fee or venu so that got lots of attention.
singles were still standard rules cept for the timer though.

About the lasering I'm used to playing on wi-fi where jumping lasers almost never work due to lag so I've gotten used to doing standing it's a bad habit I gotta break x_x
I'm guessing OoS means out of shield but idk what a SHDair is.

Thanks for the critique though was starting to wonder if anyone was gonna say anything.
Yes OoS means out of shield (Jump cancel into the USmash) And SHDair= Short Hop Down Aerial

JNB328522

Smash Apprentice
I had a smashfest the other day with friends, I thought I saved a bunch of videos of my Fox, but turns out they were all of my Mario x.x

Anywho, here's one set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SFK_mZ9jzs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32sdG1sYlkA
ok in the matches dont try to approach falco at early percentage the result will just get you chaingrab but if you do approach make sure you land your attacks on the back of his shield so he cant grab you or space with bair properly

secondly you got to be more careful offstage as fox. he falls very fast and bair takes a long time to end offstage so dont use it there and finally learn to powershield/reflex or jump over his lasers so you can try to make him approach and punish

watch the TKD vs DEHF vids they should be helpfull as well

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
^ I might start doing that in other characters boards. You know that's actually a smart idea. I'll help you with this tomorrow.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Hey if anyone of you can upload some of my replays i would greatly appreciate it. Just shoot me a PM for my wii code or just post in the thread thx.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Hey Fox boards, is this little firefox trick already well known here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOx0y_CRkCE

If so, is it possible anywhere besides YI:M and DP (nobody plays those stages)?
You my friend, have discovered the infamous FLAMEDASH! This technique was discovered many, many months ago and since then has been rarely used for it's overwhelmingly difficult and very dangerous learning curve. Performing it incorrectly has led to loss of stocks, but performing it correctly has been rumored to lead to Wii overheating and spontaneous combustion. Please, use this tech wisely... with it every MU is a guaranteed 100:0 ratio in Fox's favor. It has a mental hit-stun of about 8 seconds, in which your opponent can not perform any actions out of sheer terror. And those are top professional players. Please, limit it's use...

The FLAMEDASH is also possible on Corneria, but not much research has been put into it's usefulness as a tourney-viable function. You play with fire, you get burned.
Hey if anyone of you can upload some of my replays i would greatly appreciate it. Just shoot me a PM for my wii code or just post in the thread thx.
I suggest you instead get an AIM or instant messenger that allows for the ability to send files directly through the internet. Just pop your replays onto an SD card, set them on your computer, and BAM, you got 20 small replay files in one convenient folder.

EDIT: See what the mention of this powerful technique has already done to my text colors?

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
I can take replays from my SD and just put them up myself? Is that what you are saying?

EDIT: And I also thought that it just recorded inputs not actual video. So how would putting them on my PC do anything? Can I just send em to you Lightning? I see your wii code right now lol

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, I do not have access to my Wii at the moment...

And the binary files you acquire from your replays can be decoded on other players' Wiis. It's much faster and effective to send multiple replay files through the computer than through the Wii's connection system. If I recall, you can only send like, 2-3 a day?

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately, I do not have access to my Wii at the moment...

And the binary files you acquire from your replays can be decoded on other players' Wiis. It's much faster and effective to send multiple replay files through the computer than through the Wii's connection system. If I recall, you can only send like, 2-3 a day?
OOOO ok thanks, I'll do that then. Hopefully someone is able to get these on the net soon

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Here are some of my videos. I haven't played the game ever since the last school semester in Spring '10, so I came back a bit rusty, but here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWrIzE8Qvz8 - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Krystedez (Wario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKYCwl0PD-E - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Krystedez (Wario) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vdnp43TuAA - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Krystedez (Wario) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8pScFNcS1c - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Krystedez (Wario) 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjeojSQHtlE - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Krystedez (Wario) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTjvVi6iy1M - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Be@st (DDD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXRG1IO2EHo - 4Biddin (Fox) vs. Sovereign (ZSS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcmVx7_vO4I - 4Biddin (Fox vs. Sovereign (ZSS) 2

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiq5eLK4kWY

Forgot one more link

TKD

Smash Lord
not kidding, rolling may be the best defensive option in the game you can buffer from cool-down. the other is dashing which is good too.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
not kidding, rolling may be the best defensive option in the game you can buffer from cool-down. the other is dashing which is good too.
I was playing aganist Renegade this weekend and he was able to punish about 70% of my rolls :ohwell:

EDIT: Depending on the character of course in my case it was mostly meta and snake

darrween483

Smash Rookie
I'd just like to remind you that the vid "The Fox That Shines No More (Pivot Wave Grab)" should be deleted because it was removed from YouTube.

---------------------------------------------
Manchester SEO

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
been MAD lazy so im starting to critic from 2 or 3 pages back (may take a while)

Asce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzv2omPT3Ps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPWDcJPAhu0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_lQREOEdc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtRqU4AZCo
Game 1: begging of the match you were not very accurate in terms of your timing. You predicted the hit right, you just kept making little mistakes with timing and spacing. peach can be quite dangerous for fox so be careful. Being aggressive against a good peach can be risky and it can turn very bad very quickly. Pick your battles, you don’t have to go in to attack all the time. just before half way you changed., im assuming you warmed up because you began to play much better. You were still rushing in a lot but you became more accurate with your attacks. Try not to run in and up smash to get the kill and don’t do it unless your punishing an attack and don’t do it if its not definitely going to kill (include the opponents DI as a factor). The threat of a running up smash to your opponent is more useful than actually going for it. Try to string attacks together to get in your up smash kill. There is no point in using down smash on opponent that’s not going to die from it as well. it has to much ending lag to use as a standard attack, try to use it less.
When recovering think about illusioning onto the ledge. You will want to do this 80% of the time as its probably the safest option. Most peach’s will punish illusions on stage. If you do decide to illusion on stage make sure you keep as close to the ground as possible to avoid a lot of lag. Space well to avoid punishment by canceling it. Remember don’t use it when you don’t have to, it’s a tool for recovering or getting to a more favorable space. Last thing I would like to mention is the lack of use of Fair. Fair plays a significant role against peach. Every time she short hops or floats above stage you should punish her with an auto canceled Fair. This cuts out a lot of peaches combo starters and limits many of her options, remember, you have speed on your side. You seem to be good at reading people, build on that, its one of your strengths.

Game 2: ok first of all, try not to shine turnips. Trust me I had to learn the hard way lol the direction its reflected is not useful as it directs straight towards the floor. Try to power shield turnips and if you see peach approach, depending on how they approach, either full hop out of shield, short hop air dodge, or roll forward. Peach is very good at applying pressure, but remember so is fox. Learn to space your lazers correctly, keep an eye on your opponent, its not that your lazer tech is bad, its that your not doing it at the right time, e.g. you were shooting lazers when peach was on the platform but when she was just standing around you didn’t shoot any. don’t worry, it does take time to be consistent with lazer techs and lazer spacing, just keep practicing.
Try not to approach peach with Nair. You want to punish peach by using Nair out of shield when she is pressuring you. don’t air dodge into your opponent, it makes it very easy for them to punish it, ideally you want to be landing behind your opponent for it to be most effective. Glad to see you using fair in this match. didn’t seem to effect you in this match but watch out for auto canceling on this stage, it makes it very difficult if fox is moving away from the spot he jumped from.

Game 3: honestly this was probably your best match. Apart from the odd fire fox and stuff I’ve mentioned in other matches you played very well. If you could just refine your game play and play like that on every stage, you would do very well. Be sure to use halberd as your counter pick in tournaments.

Game 4: you played well here too. I’m glad you are using shine offstage more. It allows you to take a breather to ***** the situation and be more accurate in your next move. Not much else to say, you can see the difference in this match compared to the first. Just remember to have confidence, play smart, learn to play safe when your on high percentages and take time out to refine your game play. let me know if you have any questions or need help.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
ok here it goes, messed around a bit in friendlies^^
i've been playing fox since 4 months now and directly picking him up as my main^^
don't say anything about the edgehog in the second stock, that normally don't happen xD
i would love to have as much critique as possible
theres more to come, im giving a smashfest this friday and next saturday and i will play more searious next time^^
please please please critique and help me improving :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC7zsi42Z3c

Top Bottom