• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

theunabletable

Smash Lord
lol

Well, no, I know how to play well, it's just doing it consistently and keeping focused is what I have trouble with. Idk maybe I have ADD and I haven't realized it, I know my brother does.

Atleast I know for a fact what I really need to work on.

lilseph

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_oH14yoNpE&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZthBXcqJZo&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g09qn1-hWw&feature=sub
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-CBq3szzo8&feature=sub

Sorry for so many videos but i would deeply appreciate watching them. This is NOT me its my friend, and he is playing against the second best player in my region in grand finals. Just wanted to know what hes doing right and what hes doing wrong, that kind of stuff. I figured since we are on the Falco MU, this would be good.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
He needs to work on his spacing. It looks like he is just throwing out random dairs. Dairs are good in that match up, but it looks to me like he's just swinging at da open air

He also should work on choosing better options. For example in the first video, he dthrew falco at around 0:40. He could have nadoed or naired, instead of running off staged and dairing at nothing.
In the 2nd vid, at 0:18, he grabbed Falco and dthrew him. I think back throw is a much better choice because you are putting Falco exactly where you want him to be: off stage.

He has a habit of spot dodging a lot fix that too. Also... wtf @ his counter picks

idk

Player-4

See you in 25 years
LOL i was just hating because of bad wifi memorys also good **** vs him i actually watched the match and yur really legit

ahh thats what i thought i do that all the time wen i have a 3 stock lead LOL almost costs me matches, if id stop doing it id be a better player. IMO auto-piloting is sandbagging
Thanks man, and I autopilot wayyy too much though myself

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I don't really know the olimar MU but glide attacking his shield is bad IMO because his grab range is sooo long
I guess play more aggressive? i really dont know lol

Exdeath

Smash Master
Utilted as in stalling the glide a bit?
As in tilting the glide upward. Whether it stalls or not includes momentum as well. If it didn't, Up-B would be able to return to the other side of FD when it gets ledge hogged.

Staco

Smash Champion
Tourney set vs. europes best Snake:

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbhl8nq6rso
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px8QidedBTA
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z25KDKRtaZk
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k67NDXdxdNM
5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UYVvljMOwU

Pls rate and any general tips pls.
U don´t have to mention stuff like, U run in a granade there, or, you missed the timing there and got grabbed on a platform, which is really bad against Snake. Just some general fails, which I probably did cause of beeing nervous. :/

Exdeath

Smash Master
Just some guaranteed things that you didn't attempt.

:07 - You still had a guaranteed hit on Snake while avoiding the grenade even after you missed the Uair.

:23 - You missed a guaranteed grab.

:38 - He air dodged in front of you and you did nothing. You had a guaranteed Fair/Dair/B/[somewhat]Down-B/etc.

:53 - When you landed after Snake's Utilt, you had a guaranteed grab.

2:06 - You probably would have shield poked Snake if you had gone higher with B.

2:35 - You could have Up-B'd Snake's Dair or spot dodged the last hit and then grabbed him.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
if anyone wants to do my sets vs mr.r id be happy

im studying the **** out of them atm because im kinda upset, i was playing worse and worse // more auto pilot as it went on and i think i can do better next time if i step up my mindset

even though im looking at it, i can always miss something so please critique ;D

its on the smasheu channel

etecoon

Smash Hero
my main sparring partner is a marth so this one of the only MU's I could actually help anyone with rofl, one game for now started with first of grand finals

http://www.youtube.com/user/SmashEurope#p/u/6/bqNfcRCTwAo

don't glide at marth, pretty much ever. if he's standing on the ground he can shield and cover all your options, and his aerials can beat glide attack. if you're recovering by gliding pay attention to how he edge guards, if he grabs the ledge or comes out to meet you cancel the glide immediately, especially the ledge bair will kill you from that position at pretty low %

if he's charging a shield breaker on you don't spot dodge unless it's at the last possible moment when it forces release, jump out of shield, roll, or shuttle loop if you're in range are better options

don't 50:50 nado on marth's shield, he didn't do it here and went for the wrong side grab but he can just usmash you which is his best punish for %

marth's biggest blind spot is from below so you want to take advantage of that and not get parallel with him when pressuring his shield on a platform, also he has pretty much no answer to corner nado from below so you can kind of juggle him with it. in general he's weakest to nado when in the air, perfectly PERFECTLY spaced aerials can beat it but rarely do(nado air speed > marth air speed, you're the one controlling the spacing), marth has pretty good defense against it from the ground though

had him dead at 5:50 but you overestimated how long DS hitbox stays out and vacated the ledge D:

might look at the other vids later

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion

im studying the **** out of them atm because im kinda upset, i was playing worse and worse // more auto pilot as it went on and i think i can do better next time if i step up my mindset

You're tornadoing wrong. Remember, tornado if Marth is above you. Please, please, PLEASE stop approaching with tornado, I can understand you were pressured, and Mr.R has some good edgeguarding skills, but you have to be mindful of how you try to get back on stage as well, that Up B of Marth's is ********. Basically, you want to out wait him, if he jumps or something, then you can Jump > AD onto the stage or something. One thing to keep in mind, if he's charging a shield breaker, and you're in a position where it's basically unpunishable(for you to do so), or you're at about tipper range, just roll back, IMO, it's not work risking it. You may also be able to get a trick approach out of your opponent with it.(likely a side b or something) I just know I never challenge shieldbreaker. Pressure Marth on a platform from below, and ONLY below. never go to the height of the platform, I.E, don't Uair > jump > Dair.

One thing you should think off. If you're edgeguarding Marth, and you have the edge, NEVER react until you see him land.

Kinda sleepy, so I might change some of what I said. TO BEDDY BYE!

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Alright, I'm calling Kaffei and Staco out. You two need to have a name match.

Both of you meet and play for the avatar.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
DTL is right. I saw the avvie and was hyped like. 'Yay, more Kaffei matches' clicked the link and was like 'Awwww, Staco ;_;' lol, sorry Staco, just <3 Kaffei's MK.

LzR, you have this little problem that I still have sometimes, it's when you momentum cancel when you're hit by something that wouldn't kill you.

Also, you need to learn to NEVER land tornado next to DK, for the love of God, NEVER do that lol. Your play style is also very... patterned, you have learn to switch it up more rather than just Uair > Dair > Tornado all the time...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What's wrong with momentum canceling something that doesn't kill you?
Also, thanks for the information. I didn't know I had such pattern. No wonder smart players always punish me.
About the nado thing, I sometimes notice too late that it's not gonna poke, I can't retreat in time, but I will try to improve and post another video in a few weeks.

Please criticize more, I appreciate it. Thanks for your tips, BluePeachy, they were clear and helpful.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
What's wrong with momentum canceling something that doesn't kill you?
Because if someone reads that, they can get a free hit. And if you do it a lot, they'll likely get that free hit (and what's the BENIFIT to doing it, anyways?)

Watching match now, although I'll have to leave soon so I'll comment on the match later.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't mean momentum canceling from a jab, but but a move that sends you out of punish range, I don't think during that moment it matters at all.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
It's just a bad habit to have, it leaves you open, like if you get Utilted by Pikachu, or something. It's a free thunder. Or if you're in doubles, espcially in doubles, it leaves you open, you just wanna know when to momentum cancel, and when not to.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Kaffei's MK is fun to watch. I would like more vids.

I watched one Staco vid, and it was great. So I got nothing. Yeah.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
One thing I noticed from you, Lzr. I only watched the match once, but you're SO PREDICTABLE with your uair timings. Like I could call out when you'd do a uair RIGHT when it'd happen.

And your Dthrow follow up game was really predictable.

Just some small, really noticeable things I found.

Idk you're just kinda predictable over all, really. Although I saw some stuff that I did like. Work on incorperating lots of different mixups into your game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
How exactly would I mix my dthrow follow ups? What reliable options do I have?
Also about uair, I have recently started to mix it up a little more. But I have usually relied on it's fantastic speed. Again, what other options do I have?

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
How exactly would I mix my dthrow follow ups? What reliable options do I have?
Also about uair, I have recently started to mix it up a little more. But I have usually relied on it's fantastic speed. Again, what other options do I have?
Dthrow's reactions are completely DI dependent.

Far DI: Tornado, Fair, Walk to Ftilt

Close and higher up DI: GSL, ftilt, fair

If they DI close and low(which they shouldn't unless they're stupid) It's a free grab or ftilt.)

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Don't forget the regrab option for DIing away, it beats buffered shield, and buffered shield can beat Ftilt, nado, and fair. So it's a good option to remember. And for closer up DI (or for far DI if they air dodge), you can nair, too.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I regrab all the time. And mix up a lot, it's just that maybe this particular match wasn't so well in that regard.

Exdeath

Smash Master

WF 1/5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1JSfJNs8pE

:11 - You missed a guaranteed Uair by opting for the whiffed-Up-B.

:27 - You should have Faired him when he air dodged; you gave him a free Bair.

:34 - You would have hit him with Dair if you had buffered it properly.

:58 - You gave him another free Bair.

1:05 - You had enough time/space to space a Uair and either reset the juggle or have a landing trap into virtually anything.

MISC. 1:28 - If he had turned around and Utilted, it would have pierced your block.

MISC. 1:33 - You mis-spaced your Uair; he could have hit you with Dair and made it back safely.

MISC. 1:40 - He could have shield dropped his grenade and still invincibly-tilted you because you were Uairing too high above the ledge (I believe that you were spacing to hit him and not the grenade, but it still isn't safe).

MISC. 1:50 - If he Utilted again, it probably would have hit you.

MISC. 2:07 - You chased too far after him. He could have C4ed you (given his play style, it's unlikely and would have hit him as well) and he had a guaranteed dash attack punish that he didn't take.

2:12 - He was too close to the ledge to avoid pressure (you could have safely Faired above the stage so that you would avoid hitting a grenade, out-disjoint Ftilt, and out-disjoint dash attack, although you would have been vulnerable to Dtilt), but you air dodged into a grab instead.

2:21 - You could have spot dodged the third/fourth hit. You could have punished him with a trotted-dash grab and grab released him off of the stage at low percent.

2:25 - If you had gone above his shield, it would have shield poked.

MISC. 2:30 - If you dashed off of the platform, fast-fell, and then dashed again, you could have punished the Nair with a grab on reaction.

2:37 - He could have further punished you with a Uair. Don't glide into a cooked grenade on a platform.

2:49 - You gave him another free Bair.

3:00 - You didn't space properly; you should dip further down. As long as you space to avoid his get-up attack hitting your hurt box, B beats virtually every ledge option that he has.

MISC. 3:02 - You didn't space properly. He had another free aerial [trade, probably].

3:12 - You probably missed the timing by frames.

3:22 - Turning around and shielding would have removed all of his options. Bair would have pushed you off of the ledge unless you buffered Up-B, though. The timing for buffering Up-B would have beaten his B/air dodge/aerial/etc.

3:48 - He had a guaranteed ledge release>Bair once you glide attacked and it probably would have killed you.

4:18 - You could have charged an Fsmash and it probably would have ended his stock.

4:22 - I believe that buffered Dtilt (hit stun would have given a larger room for a reaction if he used Up-B, no Up-B puts him further off stage, air dodge puts him under the stage, and an aerial would hit you and give him a larger window of time than an air dodge would, but still put him under the stage with ample time available for punishment)>Nair (if he used Up-B)>Dair (if he timed the air dodge to go through Nair) would have beaten all of his options from that position.

4:26 - It isn't your first time in that position (I forgot to mention the other(s), but Uthrow wouldn't have set off the grenade).

4:28 - Again, SHUair would have been a safer set-up once he jumped at you, but you were going for the kill. Also, your shield was very close to being poked by that Bair; he was a little too far to the left. In that scenario, it would have been safer to just spot dodge the Bair, given how much warning you had to react to.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Game 1:

:07 - You should have grabbed/tilted instead of Nair.

:10 - You mis-spaced your Uair and you were punished for it with Bair.

MISC. :13 - You could have fast-falled and auto-canceled.

:15 - After the first Uair, you should have buffered a FFUair (reset the juggle minus one of your jumps)>Dair(punishes the air dodge to pass through Uair) to allow you to react and punish virtually all of his options. Because you buffered it incorrectly, you Daired into the ground and were grabbed for it. Dairing into the ground isn't safe.

:22 - You had a very good potential edge guard position from his DI, but you whiffed a Fair away from him. Also, be careful with your buffering; you whiffed a Dtilt after hitting him and gave him a guaranteed Ftilt that he didn't take.

:29 - You wouldn't have been punished if you went to the ledge instead.

:32 - In that position, he could have blown C4 and been safe (even if you power shielded it) or he could have blown C4 and hit you (even if you normally shielded it, C4 does a lot of damage to shields; he could have poked you with a large amount of his move set for a fair amount of time afterward). Neither option is good for you.

:33 - He had a free grab when you glided into him at that spacing.

:36 - You could have space a Uair and stayed closer into the stage so that he would have as much of a reward even if he hit you.

:46 - You mis-spaced Uair and improperly buffered Dair again.

:51 - You had a guaranteed/free weak-Nair or B, and more things that would have frame-trapped him (Nair/B/etc. would have knocked him off of the platform and hit him before he could do anything except B with strict timing on his part).

:55 - He had a free grab/Ftilt/C4 sticky if he had just air dodged on the way down reaction. Also, Up-B shouldn't have worked. Even with DI up, he could have still survived that on a very surprised and naturally slow reaction. I'm not sure why Sync didn't.

1:01 - That was a poor decision on both accounts.

1:06 - You could have gone to safety, but instead you grossly over-committed yourself and into a grenade (it could have been worse if he just went for a harder punish, which he probably should have).

1:09 - Don't randomly Uair or Dair while you're following. It leaves you uncovered and in lag, respectively. If Snake is using proper timing, Bair/Uair becomes good options.

1:21 - That mis-spaced Up-B costs you a potential gimp.

MISC. 1:29 - Up-B would have taken his stock when he dropped that C4, although that isn't always the best option.

1:39 - Don't Uair>jump>Nair. There's several options here, but I believe that the proper one that you were going for would have been a buffered Uair>FFNair.

1:40 - Practice DIng properly during grabs/tilts/etc. until it becomes habit. You should not have died.

1:47 - Try using a rising Dair instead.

1:52 - Why would you Dsmash then?

1:59 - You should have either followed him in the air or at least reversed the Up-B so that you could follow him later, rather than the total safety he had after you used Up-B. Also, you should have drifted to the ledge so that you wouldn't have been open to that C4.

2:05 - A ledge-released Dair would have ended his stock.

2:24 - You mis-spaced against his grenade and took free damage.

2:26 - Failed DI chase/poor buffering aside, Nair would have probably been a better choice of Uair if you sweet-spotted it, as it would have been guaranteed damage and could have led to Uair anyway (FFNair>Uair>stuff).

2:31 - Although it can work as a mix-up, Brolling out of Snake's Dthrow is his worst option. Get-up>grab, get-up attack, and Froll are [much] better. Just remember to keep things fresh and think of what your opponent will do.

2:40 - You mis-spaced an important Uair that also could have been Up-B, Nair, Fsmash, etc.

MISC. 2:50 - That wasn't worth it.

2:59 - You used another rising/mis-spaced Uair.

3:04 - That was a semi-guaranteed DACUS (the dash attack would have hit you, but I don't know if Usmash would have covered your possible landing on the platform.

MISC. 3:06 - Arguably not worth it.

3:10 - That wasn't safe, it should have been your stock, and it was an uncommon read (it wasn't necessarily a bad read in that it could happen, but not many Snakes Up-B directly in front of Meta Knight.

3:15 - Uair>Uair>Uair doesn't generally work well. B or Uair>jump>FF>Nair would have worked nicely, but he could have Utilted you on the latter. Either of those options would either hit him or knocked him off of the edge (and into B if you were using B).

MISC. 3:48 - Jump>Up-B would have ended his stock, but -- again -- it would have been a read and not necessarily safe.

3:50 - A spot dodge on reaction or a roll (preferably backward) would have allowed you to avoid the C4 explosion and to continue with your momentum instead of losing it and allowing Snake to set up a defensive position while you climbed back onto the stage.

3:52 - Again, dash grabbing at Snake isn't safe. That was a Utilt.

4:04 - Another rising/mis-spaced Uair and it cost you your stock.

MISC. 4:11 - It wasn't necessarily bad (it was a kill move and -- had he not power shielded it -- it probably would have pushed him off of the ledge, so it was safe), but he could have punished that Dsmash or just run up and shielded your next Dsmash.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
@p4: Just some things I saw in match 1
-stop wasting your jumps
-you often swing at nothing. think about where snake will be next.
-you're getting hit by too many obvious bairs
-DI can be much better
-you spam kill moves whenever you come back from a death

Orion*

Smash Researcher
WF 1/5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1JSfJNs8pE

:11 - You missed a guaranteed Uair by opting for the whiffed-Up-B.
kk
:27 - You should have Faired him when he air dodged; you gave him a free Bair.
i dont see how it was a free bair? O.o but if i was going to commit to something like fair i prolly shouldve naired or upBed imo
:34 - You would have hit him with Dair if you had buffered it properly.
worddd i missed that. does anyone think bair wouldve been better in that situation? i could potentially get a grab if it hit ._.
:58 - You gave him another free Bair.
eehhhhh maybe. i think i wouldve saw it, i didnt want to nado because he still had a jump but maybe i shouldve anyway?
1:05 - You had enough time/space to space a Uair and either reset the juggle or have a landing trap into virtually anything.
agreed
MISC. 1:28 - If he had turned around and Utilted, it would have pierced your block.

MISC. 1:33 - You mis-spaced your Uair; he could have hit you with Dair and made it back safely.
yeah it was a risk, but i made a good read from his habit earlier imo, i prolly wouldve done that again

MISC. 1:40 - He could have shield dropped his grenade and still invincibly-tilted you because you were Uairing too high above the ledge (I believe that you were spacing to hit him and not the grenade, but it still isn't safe).
shield dropping takes like 7 frames, plus the frames to bring it up, ect i think i wouldve been good :x

MISC. 1:50 - If he Utilted again, it probably would have hit you.
??
MISC. 2:07 - You chased too far after him. He could have C4ed you (given his play style, it's unlikely and would have hit him as well) and he had a guaranteed dash attack punish that he didn't take.
i dont agree, grounded c4 takes to long, and if he jumped to i probably wouldve hit him before the c4 went off. as for chasing that far, once he initiated the dash, his best options where shield and pivot grab, which require a read to punish me, so it was worth the risk imo. if he failed, i get a juggle on snake, which is HUGE.
2:12 - He was too close to the ledge to avoid pressure (you could have safely Faired above the stage so that you would avoid hitting a grenade, out-disjoint Ftilt, and out-disjoint dash attack, although you would have been vulnerable to Dtilt), but you air dodged into a grab instead.
word, i think i shouldve faired
2:21 - You could have spot dodged the third/fourth hit. You could have punished him with a trotted-dash grab and grab released him off of the stage at low percent.
opinions on it being safe to use broken froll here? idk if it would hit me lmao, but that seems gay to, but yeah i missed punish :x
2:25 - If you had gone above his shield, it would have shield poked.
/tries this next time
MISC. 2:30 - If you dashed off of the platform, fast-fell, and then dashed again, you could have punished the Nair with a grab on reaction.
when its a tournament setting, nado is MUCH safer than the grab, but that indeed is a better option ._., i think if i even reacted fast enough i prolly wouldve upBed. its SO easy to get scared of snake XD
2:37 - He could have further punished you with a Uair. Don't glide into a cooked grenade on a platform.
kk
2:49 - You gave him another free Bair.
then what option is better than uair in that situation?
3:00 - You didn't space properly; you should dip further down. As long as you space to avoid his get-up attack hitting your hurt box, B beats virtually every ledge option that he has.
word. i also failed at punishing the airdodge i obviously read there to XD
MISC. 3:02 - You didn't space properly. He had another free aerial [trade, probably].
dont see this one O.o
3:12 - You probably missed the timing by frames.
i was so mad >_>
3:22 - Turning around and shielding would have removed all of his options. Bair would have pushed you off of the ledge unless you buffered Up-B, though. The timing for buffering Up-B would have beaten his B/air dodge/aerial/etc.
i will Really keep that in mind
3:48 - He had a guaranteed ledge release>Bair once you glide attacked and it probably would have killed you.
agreedz
4:18 - You could have charged an Fsmash and it probably would have ended his stock.
i have that much time after nair hits my shield? @___________@

unless its before, in which case yeah, but requires a read, i was crouching to dtilt his airdodge already.

4:22 - I believe that buffered Dtilt (hit stun would have given a larger room for a reaction if he used Up-B, no Up-B puts him further off stage, air dodge puts him under the stage, and an aerial would hit you and give him a larger window of time than an air dodge would, but still put him under the stage with ample time available for punishment)>Nair (if he used Up-B)>Dair (if he timed the air dodge to go through Nair) would have beaten all of his options from that position.
agreed, better option choice than me
4:26 - It isn't your first time in that position (I forgot to mention the other(s), but Uthrow wouldn't have set off the grenade).
kk
4:28 - Again, SHUair would have been a safer set-up once he jumped at you, but you were going for the kill. Also, your shield was very close to being poked by that Bair; he was a little too far to the left. In that scenario, it would have been safer to just spot dodge the Bair, given how much warning you had to react to.
would pivot dsmash have worked//killed there? to lazy to do frame data

muchas gracias

Top Bottom