• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arguing with Casual Gamers

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Man the only reason I didn't stop coming here in 2009 was because of nice people I met. I didn't care about the game one bit, but after just hanging around here you sort of know how Brawl/Melee works. Basically imho idk
Same here. The unfortunate thing is that I hate rude people to the extent that I become a douchebag when I don't self-moderate and stop myself from getting pissed off. I'm more or less nice to nice people, even though I have difficulty taking some of their opinions seriously when they pat their ideas down with sugar coating.

this seriously looks like it should be moved to the debate hall. looks at LT
The irony is that if it gets moved to the DH, then I can't respond to mastermoo42's comments and vice versa due to the fact that there is the division between PG and DH, as well as rules regarding interaction between the two categories. As a general rule of thumb, I guess that any text longer than two paragraphs belongs in the DH and anything shorter should be in the Pool Room. ;) Then again, it can't be helped that most categorization would fall under a size standard, rather than a content standard. Nobody really cares to read a long opinion if it's not about them. I mean, why should they? Unless they're debaters. :lick:

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Using the term "casual gamer" automatically makes you an ***
Good point. Am I an ***?

If you consider people who have to separate gamers into "casuals" and "competitive" categories *****, then I wonder if classifying someone as an *** also makes you an *** according to the same theory. This is speculation.

soccer requires extensive physical conditioning. you can be a fat *** and still play chess. soccer is considered a sport by the world; not by "many people".
melee requires extensive mental conditioning. you can be a dumb **** and still play soccer.

the whole world thought the world was flat at some point as well. your definition of sport is so undefined and arbitrary you might as well have not used it at all.

no but you claimed one competitive activity was a sport but another isn't without really drawing a sharp distinction between the two, leading me to believe that your definition is

well

bull****

Life

Smash Hero
SSB is comparable to NASCAR IMO.

Both require extreme mental stamina (perfect planking in SSBB, generally playing Melee, and making one thousand left turns [:p] going at hundreds of miles per hour for NASCAR) and physical dexterity (techskill and passing) and crap this post wasn't done and I submitted it EDITING!!

Both are heavily stereotyped (gamers and rednecks respectively). Both involve large amounts of fuel (electricity and gasoline respective).

Anything else? If one's a sport, so is the other.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good point. Am I an ***?

If you consider people who have to separate gamers into "casuals" and "competitive" categories *****, then I wonder if classifying someone as an *** also makes you an *** according to the same theory. This is speculation.
I am an ***, but I'll admit it.

Why's that?
"Casual gamer" = "I must define another's interest downwards in order to satisfy my ego"

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
SSB is comparable to NASCAR IMO.

Both require extreme mental stamina (perfect planking in SSBB, generally playing Melee, and making one thousand left turns [:p] going at hundreds of miles per hour for NASCAR) and physical dexterity (techskill and passing) and crap this post wasn't done and I submitted it EDITING!!

Both are heavily stereotyped (gamers and rednecks respectively). Both involve large amounts of fuel (electricity and gasoline respective).

Anything else? If one's a sport, so is the other.
hmmm it depends. the classification of nascar is still up for debate. i know it's on espn, tho. and i wouldn't consider any of them athletes but then we'd get into some debate about what an "athlete" is.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Hey now, I am a casual gamer. However I couldn't care less if people do tournaments and practice for them. I'm not going to lie, I think it is ridiculously silly, but I'm not going to get onto anybody for it. It's just another way of playing the game, and if it's fun for somebody than what in the world could be so wrong with it? I'll never understand how so many casuals argue (or at least used to the last time I saw this argument here was back in 2007) that their way is the only way to have "fun". It's just stupid.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Hey now, I am a casual gamer. However I couldn't care less if people do tournaments and practice for them. I'm not going to lie, I think it is ridiculously silly, but I'm not going to get onto anybody for it. It's just another way of playing the game, and if it's fun for somebody than what in the world could be so wrong with it? I'll never understand how so many casuals argue (or at least used to the last time I saw this argument here was back in 2007) that their way is the only way to have "fun". It's just stupid.
I really like your post. However, the main topic is whether or not certain videogames can be considered sports. The "competitive-casual" issue is a minor/off-topic issue that was generated mid-thread. If there was such an argument back in 2007, that's nice. But it's not really the main issue that is being discussed in this thread.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Casual gamers are the reason companies nerf sequels and it sucks.

Halo 2>3

Melee>Brawl

Those are perfect examples right there.

I don't bother arguing with casuals, it's usually a waste of time.

I take multiplayer video games I like pretty seriously, but that's just me.

Fair enough gamers don't want to get PWNED by people better than them online because they can't do all the techs, but that's life man.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Casual gamers are the reason companies nerf sequels and it sucks.

Halo 2>3

Melee>Brawl

Those are perfect examples right there.

I don't bother arguing with casuals, it's usually a waste of time.

I take multiplayer video games I like pretty seriously, but that's just me.

Fair enough gamers don't want to get PWNED by people better than them online because they can't do all the techs, but that's life man.
To be honest, I never thought of "casual gamer" as being a derogative label.
out of curiosity, does the way this guy is using it come off as derogatory?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Yep. But that doesn't mean that the word itself is derogatory. Megatron is just being condescending, more or less like the opening poster.

Geist

Smash Master
Casual gamers are the reason video games are going so mainstream, I have no problem with them at all. If anything it'll attract more people to play competitively.

FYI bungie consulted competitive players when designing Halo 3.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
soccer requires extensive physical conditioning. you can be a fat *** and still play chess. soccer is considered a sport by the world; not by "many people".
Lol because funny thing is that there are "many people" around the world.

And as it was said before, Chess was recognized as a sport by that olympic company. Who the hell cares if they did it for money. They have the power and the credibility for them to call teh shots if they wanted to

As for conditioning. You know that you also need mental condition to play chess right? You may be a fat ***, but you may have the mind of a genius when it comes to Chess. And even then, there are "actual" sports like football that need strategy. For example, you may or may not want to do a blitz (lol sorry, I don't know football enough to say plays and I have no idea what a blitz is XD). See? "Actual" sports also have strategy in them as well

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
And as it was said before, Chess was recognized as a sport by that olympic company. Who the hell cares if they did it for money. They have the power and the credibility for them to call teh shots if they wanted to

As for conditioning. You know that you also need mental condition to play chess right? You may be a fat ***, but you may have the mind of a genius when it comes to Chess. And even then, there are "actual" sports like football that need strategy. For example, you may or may not want to do a blitz (lol sorry, I don't know football enough to say plays and I have no idea what a blitz is XD). See? "Actual" sports also have strategy in them as well
the reasoning behind things can strip away some credibility, in some cases.

and it isn't just about mental conditioning. there's a physical aspect to it too.

alright, i'm done. this topic is too based off personal opinion. i know there are no gamers comparable to athletes but if ya'll want to make an argument about it, that's cool.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Here's a question: Why do so many hard-core gamers take what casuals think video games should be personally? So they don't believe spending literally weeks of their time to perfect playing a game is worthwhile, so what. Professional cooks don't look down upon people who enjoy cooking and tell them that they're bringing down the cullinary scene by not having the same viewpoint on the subject as them.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Here's a question: Why do so many hard-core gamers take what casuals think video games should be personally? So they don't believe spending literally weeks of their time to perfect playing a game is worthwhile, so what. Professional cooks don't look down upon people who enjoy cooking and tell them that they're bringing down the cullinary scene by not having the same viewpoint on the subject as them.
Well I think hard-core gamers take it personally because some casual gamers label hard-core gamers as lazy f*cks who waste too much time doing nothing.

These butthurt hardcore gamers then tell casual gamers they suck and are ruining the community, which creates butthurt casual gamers.

It's just a pathetic cycle of butthurt... for those who get caught up in this kind of thing.

I really just don't care though lol.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Yep. But that doesn't mean that the word itself is derogatory. Megatron is just being condescending, more or less like the opening poster.
I'm not being condescending, it's just a term I personally use for people with a certain frame of mind about how games should be.

People who play games for fun and think games should be made simpler are casuals.

You want a game to be deep, you want it to test the boundaries of your skill, you want it to constantly surprise you and give you new things.

I hate games being made worse/having great things taken out of them because people ***** about it too much.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Are you serious?

How many multiplayer games have gone down the ****ter because the developers made them more noob friendly?

You are on a website with the perfect example.
Brawl achieved what its creators wanted to do: make a very, very good party game. Just because its gameplay doesn't have the amount of ATs Melee had that it is a worse party game.

Melee happened to turn out to be extremely deep because of a few things about its physics system that players learned to exploit, its not like Nintendo wanted to make a tourney game.

Also, why is your opinion fact? I'm pretty sure that not everyone agrees that Brawl is a worse game than Melee.

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
People who play games for fun and think games should be made simpler are casuals.
Oh, so then David Sirlin is a casual? He's always advocating for simplistic, intuitive, easy design, especially in competitive games.
Did I mention that he designed Street Fighter HD Remix, and has won Evo?

Simple execution =/= non-competitive. Tekken 6 is really simple, but more competitive than Melee will ever be.

How many multiplayer games have gone down the ****ter because the developers made them more noob friendly?
I could bring up just as many games that went to **** because they were made too difficult. I don't see your point.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Oh my god, Blazey's crotch is huge

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Megatron, I'm a casual gamer and I don't mind my games being a little challenging. I also liked Melee in addition to Brawl, and... well, to tell you the truth, I don't see much difference in the gameplay. Maybe that's just because I'm not a competitive gamer, but when you're only looking at Brawl from a competitive standpoint despite the fact that there's much more to it, you're gonna be more disappointed.

Brawl didn't make Smash go "down the ****ter" by any means to me. It was a really fun game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Megatron, I'm a casual gamer and I don't mind my games being a little challenging. I also liked Melee in addition to Brawl, and... well, to tell you the truth, I don't see much difference in the gameplay. Maybe that's just because I'm not a competitive gamer, but when you're only looking at Brawl from a competitive standpoint despite the fact that there's much more to it, you're gonna be more disappointed.

Brawl didn't make Smash go "down the ****ter" by any means to me. It was a really fun game.
This man is true. I think all the whining about Brawl on here is absolutely hysterical.

Top Bottom