• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Theorycraft

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

No person on this entire forum would argue for a moment that you could jab your opponent to death. It's stupidity at it's best to even suggest that.

:nifty::leek:
IDK about this susa........SAN may say different

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No. Your theorycraft is perfectly valid and fine until placed into practice. You don't ever seem to factor in the human variable.

But that's just from all the arguments I've read of yours recently.

lol. For example? Plz tell me you aren't talking about the Marth vs Pika stuff. Cuz I'm not even theory crafting. I'm more or less regurgitating what other Pika mains have said.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
lol. For example? Plz tell me you aren't talking about the Marth vs Pika stuff. Cuz I'm not even theory crafting. I'm more or less regurgitating what other Pika mains have said.
Do I really have to go digging through your posts? :urg: Don't take it too heavily as a personal attack. It's just my observations of what you do, and you tend to leave out the human factor to a large degree.

Although if humans didn't make any mistakes you'd be spot on. :awesome:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No, I just think of it this way. If both players make about the same mistakes then we are brought back to ground zero know what I mean? I fully acknowledge both players make mistakes and will factor that in when I discuss something with anyone.

That said I will not harp on human error either. Humans aren't machines. That's a given. But why do I (or anyone else for that matter) need to repeat something that should be common knowledge as if it's some kind of disclaimer? It's almost as if you are apologizing.

It also depends on how big a facor human error is. In sum matches you could a million mistakes it wouldn't matter because one char is just THAT far outclassed. In others one mistake could you get CGed to high damage combo or you die. It's on a case by case basis.

SuSa

That's why theorycrafting is a messy art, and there is a point in which you cannot rely on it.

That being said, everything I've nearly learned about Brawl has been data from the game (note: not tournaments.. I'm talking actual game data like frames and physics) or from theorycrafting.

I don't learn ANYTHING by watching a video... unless it's an instructional on how to perform an AT or something...

Laem

Smash Champion
i came in expecting a rubbish OP
but OP was good
and the rubbish was most people in this thread
good shee
im out

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's why theorycrafting is a messy art, and there is a point in which you cannot rely on it.

That being said, everything I've nearly learned about Brawl has been data from the game (note: not tournaments.. I'm talking actual game data like frames and physics) or from theorycrafting.

I don't learn ANYTHING by watching a video... unless it's an instructional on how to perform an AT or something...

I wouldn't say everything I learned was from data, but major breakthroughs and how I broke down the game was just from theorycraft and I am pleased to know that words I used to describe things caught on. Ledge traps is one in particular, and that was just based on spacing and just straight up knowing that by putting yourself at the edge at a certain distance alot of chars were either screwed or extremely limited.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Theory craft is great. As long as you aren't using it as your main evidence in an argument.

For example:

ME: I think D3 vs. Iceclimbers is in ICies favor but not by a huge amount

Someone else: Nah this is totally unwinnable, Ice climbers can just blizzard camp and set up frame traps and D3 can't do anything about it.

They're generalizing their theory craft and have made up the match up in their head even though their version of the match up doesn't actually exist. That's bad theory craft.

Theory craft is great for expanding the metagame. You come up with your theory craft and then you test it out and try to do it in friendlies to see if it actually works

SuSa

i came in expecting a rubbish OP
but OP was good
and the rubbish was most people in this thread
good shee
im out
D'awwww <33333

Thanks. :)

I wouldn't say everything I learned was from data, but major breakthroughs and how I broke down the game was just from theorycraft and I am pleased to know that words I used to describe things caught on. Ledge traps is one in particular, and that was just based on spacing and just straight up knowing that by putting yourself at the edge at a certain distance alot of chars were either screwed or extremely limited.
Agreed. Again, I'm not saying you're a ****ty theorycrafter. You just go overboard sometimes. :awesome:

Don't worry, I sometimes do as well. :urg:

Theory craft is great. As long as you aren't using it as your main evidence in an argument.

For example:

Someone else: Nah this is totally unwinnable, Ice climbers can just blizzard camp and set up frame traps and D3 can't do anything about it.

They're generalizing their theory craft and have made up the match up in their head even though their version of the match up doesn't actually exist. That's bad theory craft.

Theory craft is great for expanding the metagame. You come up with your theory craft and then you test it out and try to do it in friendlies to see if it actually works
You gave no supporting evidence, and only stated the result of your theorycraft. That's not really a problem in itself, but everyone will question as to how you reached that conclusion.

The opponents argument is using poor theorycraft that doesn't factor in the human element and assume that frame traps are impenetrable and the opponent is too stupid to get past it. :awesome:

So your side, while possibly correct, lacks information. Their side, while theoretically correct, has "wrong" information.

You have to find the balance between those two.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac

For example:

He was doing a post 'not writing a book' SuSa.
The arrogance in this thread was astonishing.

It's beyond me that any smasher with a form of rep would argue like some of the people have in this thread.

Theorycraft - how robots play
Practical - how less functional robots play
Realistic - how humans play

That's ALL I got out of this thread. What is the point of even categorizing I cannot understand, because it should be fairly obvious that theorycraft should not depend upon flawless play, but strive somewhat to attain flawless play in light of human error.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Uhm.... explain AC?

I really am refusing to bring up year-old examples. I've won games entirely based upon my own theorycraft. Theorycrafting has proven to work for me.

So calling it useless is a personal attack as to how I play this piece of **** game.
No, you're just taking it personally. AC is just calling theorycrafting useless, not you.

Top Bottom