• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 8: -TOP 50 POSTED-

Smady

Smash Master
Determined to do something of use for Make Your Move this weekend, at the haunted hour of 2am, I endeavour to express my current thoughts on the situation we find ourselves in within our contest, and community as a whole. I would usually post this sort of thing in the stadium, but I feel like it would actually reach out to more people if posted in the thread.

First and foremost; I wanted to say where we specifically are in terms of the contest. We're in-between the voting and posting of the top fifty, which is currently being moderated by the leadership: Marth Trinity, Master Warlord, Bkupa666, Junahu and I comprising this team. This is stating the obvious, yet I don't see any indication of this: perhaps one person will actually benefit from this paragraph? Who knows.

Secondly, I'd like to give my opinion on the idea of quantity versus quality in this contest. As we've seen, it was disastrous for us once the apathy truly hit. It seems like the absence of Wizzerd and general slothfulness of both the leadership and regular membership caused some kind of vacuum of inactivity that dragged our entire existence down into a near oblivion. It is no joke when I say that – I don't think we've ever reached such a low point as within those couple of months, where we only produced a handful of movesets.

The simplicity of it is that we need to make sets again. Many have stopped, many have come so far and then given up... incentives have already been given in the form of the graveyard, but it is only to come from the blood and bones of the community where we will find the solution to this problem. We saw an echo of past greatness in the last few days; we have to replicate it for much of the contest unless we want to further test the lower boundaries. For instead of judging how far we have progressed from MYM8, we will be judging how few sets we are getting per week, how few comments and posts have been made... the end will be in sight if that is the case.

That is why I personally swear to be as active as I can in Make Your Move 9, and endorse any similar posts or feelings from fellow members. Only through this spontaneous and electric sort of connection can we overcome our current dilemma, for there is no quick fix.

I expect the usual crowd such as Junahu and KRool will ignore this post: and plenty of others. However, it is the truth. Though to me, it feels like it needs re-affirming, as otherwise it becomes all too easy to slip into ignorance. I have heard others say Make Your Move is destined to end now, that making movesets is "out" or that we are outdated... these are all false prophecies.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I swear to comment every moveset to the best of my ability next contest, Smady. You have my word. I also want to say, again to the best of my ability, that I will produce at least 1 set every 2-3 weeks.

Just doing my part.

I hope that others make a similar vow. We need to prove to ourselves that MYM isn't dead. And, hopefully, will not die any time soon

Smady

Smash Master
I appreciate your dedication and welcome the support, Geto. It is important to distinct that we are in control of this contest, and thus it can go anywhere it wants; we can support it with even more sets with MYM2 if we choose, so it is our responsibility alone to keep it as happy and alive as possible.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Alright, it's that time! Here are the results of the MYM Awards!

Best Moveset Designer
1) MasterWarlord 7 votes
2) Junahu 6 votes
2) Bkupa666 6 votes
3) Darth_meanie 4 votes
JOE! 3 votes
n88_2004 3 votes
TWILTHERO 2 votes
MarthTrinity 2 votes
Agidius 1 vote
Hyper_Ridley 1 vote
Smash Daddy 1 vote
Usershadow7989 1 vote

Best New Designer
1) wrkngclsshr 4 votes
2) Getocoolaid 3 votes
3) Crewx 2 votes
john! 1 vote
DMNDThrice 1 vote

Best One-Hit Wonder
1) Skeleton by Axx o Ninn 5 votes
2) Hitagi Senjougahara by half_silver28 2 votes
2) Colonel Saunders by john! 2 votes
3) Urgot by Chris Lionheart 1 vote
The Sniper by 32º Centigrade
Childre by DMNDThrice

Best Pokemon Moveset
1) Weezing by Smash Daddy 7 votes
2) Hariyama by Darth_meanie 6 votes
2) Octillery by JOE! 6 votes
3) Magmortar by Darth_meanie 5 votes
Hugo by MasterWarlord 3 votes
Empoleon by TheSundanceKid and Agidius 3 votes
Haunter by n88_2004 2 votes
Gamageroge by MasterWarlord 2 votes
Cacturne by Usershadow7989 1 vote
Torkoal by n88_2004 1 vote
Forretress by JOE! 1 vote
Mr. Mime by Flyinfilipino 1 vote

Best Capcom Series Set
1) Miles Edgeworth by TWILTHERO 5 votes
1) Q by MarthTrinity 5 votes
2) Napalm Man by Agidius 4 votes
3) Megaman 10 Protoman by Junahu 3 votes
Arthur by Marthtrinity 2 votes
Burst Man by Koppakirby 1 vote
Concrete Man by Kholdstare
Van Pookin by Plorf

Best Moveset Mechanic
1) Scarmiglione by Usershadow7989 6 votes
1) Skeleton by Axx o Ninn 6 votes
2) Rocket Executive Hugo by MasterWarlord 5 votes
3) Octillery by JOE! 4 votes
Weezing by Smash Daddy 3 votes
Omi by flyinfilipino 2 votes
Mr. Luggs by Bkupa666 1 vote
Helios by Hyper_Ridley 1 vote
Haunter by n88_2004
Hitagi Senjougahara by half_silver28

Best Playstyle
1) Nurse Joy by Junahu 7 votes
3) Dark Bowser by MasterWarlord 5 votes
Mr. Potato Head by Bkupa666 4 votes
Rocket Executive Hugo by MasterWarlord 4 votes
Magmortar by Darth_meanie 4 votes
Scarmiglione by Usershadow7989 4 votes
Hariyama by Darth_meanie 3 votes
Weezing by Smash Daddy 2 votes
Slinky by Bkupa666 2 votes
Kamek by n88_2004 2 votes
Etna by Junahu 2 votes
Napalm Man by Agidius 1 vote
Jace Beleren by cutter 1 vote
Antonidas by MasterWarlord 1 vote

Best Joke Moveset
1) Dr. Tiki by Bkupa666 3 votes
2) Sadako by MarthTrinity 2 votes
2) Jecht by Katapultar 2 votes
still would’ve liked to not to include this, but it got nominated several times <.<
2) Dark Dedede by MasterWarlord 2 votes
3) Ghost by MasterWarlord 1 vote
Master Skarmlord by Hyper_Ridley

Most Improved Designer
1) n88_2004 5 votes
2) JOE! 4 votes
3) Flyinfilipino 3 votes
3) TWILTHERO 3 votes
Koppakirby 1 vote
Cutter 1 vote
Usershadow7989 1 vote

Most Helpful MYMer
1) Marthtrinity 7 votes
2) MasterWarlord 4 votes
3) Junahu 3 votes
3) Darth_meanie 3 votes
Half_silver28 1 vote
Hyper_Ridley
Smash Daddy

Funniest MYMer
1) Kholdstare 6 votes
2) TheSundanceKid 5 votes
2) Tirkaro 5 votes
3) Marthtrinity 4 votes
3) Plorf 4 votes
3) Katapultar 4 votes
Monkey D. AWESOME 3 votes
MasterWarlord 2 votes
Smash Daddy 2 votes
TWILTHERO 1 vote
Junahu 1 vote
Bkupa666

Best Commenter
1) Darth_meanie 5 votes
2) Junahu 4 votes
3) MasterWarlord 3 votes
3) Marthtrinity 3 votes
Smash Daddy 2 votes
Hyper_Ridley 2 votes
Bkupa666 1 vote

Best Leader
1) MasterWarlord 11 votes
2) MarthTrinity 10 votes
3) Junahu 6 votes
Bkupa666 2 votes
Smash Daddy 2 votes
Darth_meanie 1 vote
Wizzerd 1 vote

MYM8 WINRAR
1) MasterWarlord 5 votes
2) Junahu 4 votes
3) TWILTHERO 3 votes
3) n88_2004 3 votes
Marthtrinity 2 votes
Bkupa666 2 votes
Flyinfilipino
Hyper_Ridley

Special Award: Most Missed MYMer

1) SirKibble 10 votes
2) Wizzerd 9 votes
3) Chief Mendez 8 votes
Iron Thorn 5 votes
Cheap_Josh 4 votes
KoJ 3 votes
Spadefox 2 votes
Commander Blitzkrieg 2 votes
Tanookie 1 vote
Pelikinesis 1 vote
Darkserenade 1 vote
~Cruxis~ 1 vote
IvoryFlame 1 vote
GreatClayMonkey 1 vote
Sonic the Baron 1 vote

Congrats to all the winners, and remember, everyone on this list had to be nominated regardless of how many votes they got, so every set and user nominated has gotten its due attention! And thanks to everyone who voted too!
:bee:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Determined to do something of use for Make Your Move this weekend, at the haunted hour of 2am, I endeavour to express my current thoughts on the situation we find ourselves in within our contest, and community as a whole. I would usually post this sort of thing in the stadium, but I feel like it would actually reach out to more people if posted in the thread.

First and foremost; I wanted to say where we specifically are in terms of the contest. We're in-between the voting and posting of the top fifty, which is currently being moderated by the leadership: Marth Trinity, Master Warlord, Bkupa666, Junahu and I comprising this team. This is stating the obvious, yet I don't see any indication of this: perhaps one person will actually benefit from this paragraph? Who knows.

Secondly, I'd like to give my opinion on the idea of quantity versus quality in this contest. As we've seen, it was disastrous for us once the apathy truly hit. It seems like the absence of Wizzerd and general slothfulness of both the leadership and regular membership caused some kind of vacuum of inactivity that dragged our entire existence down into a near oblivion. It is no joke when I say that – I don't think we've ever reached such a low point as within those couple of months, where we only produced a handful of movesets.

The simplicity of it is that we need to make sets again. Many have stopped, many have come so far and then given up... incentives have already been given in the form of the graveyard, but it is only to come from the blood and bones of the community where we will find the solution to this problem. We saw an echo of past greatness in the last few days; we have to replicate it for much of the contest unless we want to further test the lower boundaries. For instead of judging how far we have progressed from MYM8, we will be judging how few sets we are getting per week, how few comments and posts have been made... the end will be in sight if that is the case.

That is why I personally swear to be as active as I can in Make Your Move 9, and endorse any similar posts or feelings from fellow members. Only through this spontaneous and electric sort of connection can we overcome our current dilemma, for there is no quick fix.

I expect the usual crowd such as Junahu and KRool will ignore this post: and plenty of others. However, it is the truth. Though to me, it feels like it needs re-affirming, as otherwise it becomes all too easy to slip into ignorance. I have heard others say Make Your Move is destined to end now, that making movesets is "out" or that we are outdated... these are all false prophecies.
The moveset drought was the exact reason why I made that controversial post. I was hoping to offer a solution to the drought. It's not that I gave up or anything.

I'd think that there's a obvious reason why people don't do as many sets as in the old days. I guess there's generally not a whole heap of motivation in the threads due to the lack of sets in the first place, which is basically causing even more problems. Generally people are going to be more hyped up about making a set if there are more sets than if there are not a lot. With this, MYM is generally a branch of humanity in where the combined efforts of people can do quite a lot.

I guess that you'll also make more sets if you have fun actually doing it. Personally, MYM was fun back when I started; to me the idea was to make every attack as flashy as possible like back in MYM4. These were actually FUN to imagine.

Personally I have more fun making sets that have fun interactions with them, traps, and summons, especially when you can imagine them all. Heatran, Gorea remake and Dio Brando were all fun to imagine and are easily on my top list. The only thing was that people were like no towards them and stuff during MYM6 and stuff. I guess I should just ignore them and do what I please. There's a lot of peer pressure, and perhaps people should generally do what they think is most fun rather than listen to others. Think about it: which kind of MYM would get the most sets in a competition; one where people do what they like for fun without being pressured by the others, or a competition where people go by the book and are pressured to send out a certain piece of work and try to impress others? I think that a lot of people are being controlled by peer pressure, and they may not know it.

The point is, that people should perhaps try to make what they want rather than what others want. I can be accounted as hypocritical for saying this, as Im always thinking that my moves have to be flashy and stuff.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
I actually tied for first with Skeleton for best moveset mechanic?! Thank you all for your votes! *Takes an Emmy with Plorf's head* You like me! You really like me!

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord

Best Moveset Designer
1) MasterWarlord 7 votes
2) Junahu 6 votes
2) Bkupa666 6 votes
3) Darth_meanie 4 votes
JOE! 3 votes
n88_2004 3 votes
TWILTHERO 2 votes
MarthTrinity 2 votes
Agidius 1 vote
Hyper_Ridley 1 vote
Smash Daddy 1 vote
Usershadow7989 1 vote
Woot, that's 2 votes better than expected!

Best New Designer
1) wrkngclsshr 4 votes
2) Getocoolaid 3 votes
3) Crewx 2 votes
john! 1 vote
DMNDThrice 1 vote
Bah, wrk got best newcomer. (crs)

Best Capcom Series Set
Van Pookin by Plorf
Now this is more like it! My first time I came in first for something! (h)

Most Improved Designer
1) n88_2004 5 votes
2) JOE! 4 votes
3) Flyinfilipino 3 votes
3) TWILTHERO 3 votes
Koppakirby 1 vote
Cutter 1 vote
Usershadow7989 1 vote
Bah, I could never come in first for this...oh well, there's always next time.

MYM8 WINRAR
1) MasterWarlord 5 votes
2) Junahu 4 votes
3) TWILTHERO 3 votes
3) n88_2004 3 votes
Marthtrinity 2 votes
Bkupa666 2 votes
Flyinfilipino
Hyper_Ridley
I got 3 votes for this category? What.

Anyway, I would like to thanks those who voted for me, and here's to the future! :bee:

Smady

Smash Master
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk!

Finally. :glare:

Best Moveset Designer
1) MasterWarlord 7 votes
2) Junahu 6 votes
2) Bkupa666 6 votes
3) Darth_meanie 4 votes
JOE! 3 votes
n88_2004 3 votes
TWILTHERO 2 votes
MarthTrinity 2 votes
Agidius 1 vote
Hyper_Ridley 1 vote
Smash Daddy 1 vote
Usershadow7989 1 vote
Seems fair enough. The three tops had the best stacks of quality sets, although I'm kind of surprised DM didn't get more votes considering the popularity of Magmortar and Hariyama. I suppose I got what I deserved here.

Best New Designer
1) wrkngclsshr 4 votes
2) Getocoolaid 3 votes
3) Crewx 2 votes
john! 1 vote
DMNDThrice 1 vote
Congratulations to Wrk and Geto! I did throw my hat in with a few of the tops here, very much an easy pick.

Best One-Hit Wonder
1) Skeleton by Axx o Ninn 5 votes
2) Hitagi Senjougahara by half_silver28 2 votes
2) Colonel Saunders by john! 2 votes
3) Urgot by Chris Lionheart 1 vote
The Sniper by 32º Centigrade
Childre by DMNDThrice
Really a runaway contest here; the only Rool set was a shoe-in.

Best Pokemon Moveset
1) Weezing by Smash Daddy 7 votes
2) Hariyama by Darth_meanie 6 votes
3) Magmortar by Darth_meanie 5 votes
Hugo by MasterWarlord 3 votes
Empoleon by TheSundanceKid and Agidius 3 votes
Haunter by n88_2004 2 votes
Gamageroge by MasterWarlord 2 votes
Cacturne by Usershadow7989 1 vote
Torkoal by n88_2004 1 vote
Forretress by JOE! 1 vote
Mr. Mime by Flyinfilipino 1 vote
That's a surprise - thanks to everyone who voted Weezing, I'm chuffed to have beaten such fine candidates as Hariyama and Octillery... definitely unexpected, though I imagine this was more about the content of the sets being in-character than actually more valuable. In that sense, I can see how Weezing could be seen as the "best" Pokemon moveset. :bee:

Best Capcom Series Set
Van Pookin by Plorf
Love Edgeworth and Q. :bee:

Moving on...

Best Moveset Mechanic
1) Scarmiglione by Usershadow7989 6 votes
1) Skeleton by Axx o Ninn 6 votes
2) Rocket Executive Hugo by MasterWarlord 5 votes
3) Octillery by JOE! 4 votes
Weezing by Smash Daddy 3 votes
Omi by flyinfilipino 2 votes
Mr. Luggs by Bkupa666 1 vote
Helios by Hyper_Ridley 1 vote
Haunter by n88_2004
Hitagi Senjougahara by half_silver28
Again, no surprises. Weezing also got a few votes - thanks for that. Scarmiglione's mechanic definitely grew on me over time.

Best Playstyle
1) Nurse Joy by Junahu 7 votes
3) Dark Bowser by MasterWarlord 5 votes
Mr. Potato Head by Bkupa666 4 votes
Rocket Executive Hugo by MasterWarlord 4 votes
Magmortar by Darth_meanie 4 votes
Scarmiglione by Usershadow7989 4 votes
Hariyama by Darth_meanie 3 votes
Weezing by Smash Daddy 2 votes
Slinky by Bkupa666 2 votes
Kamek by n88_2004 2 votes
Etna by Junahu 2 votes
Napalm Man by Agidius 1 vote
Jace Beleren by cutter 1 vote
Antonidas by MasterWarlord 1 vote
A couple of write-ins for Weezing, but there were really only three contenders for this one, and Joy was again the obvious pick for the wider audience.

Best Joke Moveset
1) Dr. Tiki by Bkupa666 3 votes
still would’ve liked to not to include this, but it got nominated several times <.<
3) Ghost by MasterWarlord 1 vote
Master Skarmlord by Hyper_Ridley
Pretty worthless category, if I do say so myself. Dr. Tiki is more like a chat meme than a joke set. :awesome:

Most Improved Designer
1) n88_2004 5 votes
2) JOE! 4 votes
3) Flyinfilipino 3 votes
3) TWILTHERO 3 votes
Koppakirby 1 vote
Cutter 1 vote
Usershadow7989 1 vote
Definitely well-deserved. Nate went from Dark Samus to Kamek in one [long] contest. In particular, I'd like to give credit to FF and Twilt for their fine contributions in Make Your Move 8 - top men, one and all.

Most Helpful MYMer
1) Marthtrinity 7 votes
2) MasterWarlord 4 votes
3) Junahu 3 votes
3) Darth_meanie 3 votes
Half_silver28 1 vote
Hyper_Ridley
Smash Daddy
Er, okay, I guess. Not sure what people based this on, but MT's a cool guy and eh doesn't afraid of recaps? He deserved one award at least.

Funniest MYMer
1) Kholdstare 6 votes
2) TheSundanceKid 5 votes
2) Tirkaro 5 votes
3) Marthtrinity 4 votes
3) Plorf 4 votes
3) Katapultar 4 votes
Monkey D. AWESOME 3 votes
MasterWarlord 2 votes
Smash Daddy 2 votes
TWILTHERO 1 vote
Junahu 1 vote
Bkupa666
Oh boy, another kinda worthless category. Good to see Khold and Sundance back on top, and I even scored a couple of votes. Kat and MDA scoring high makes me sad that Jason never got the nomination for funniest set. :glare:

Best Commenter
1) Darth_meanie 5 votes
2) Junahu 4 votes
3) MasterWarlord 3 votes
3) Marthtrinity 3 votes
Smash Daddy 2 votes
Hyper_Ridley 2 votes
Bkupa666 1 vote
No comment.

Best Leader
1) MasterWarlord 11 votes
2) MarthTrinity 10 votes
3) Junahu 6 votes
Bkupa666 2 votes
Smash Daddy 2 votes
Darth_meanie 1 vote
Wizzerd 1 vote
Junahu got six votes for a week of being a leader? :bee:

Congratulations to Warlord and MT. I also somehow beat DM? And where's poor old Wizzerd's votes for his great contributions to leadership? :awesome:

MYM8 WINRAR
1) MasterWarlord 5 votes
2) Junahu 4 votes
3) TWILTHERO 3 votes
3) n88_2004 3 votes
Marthtrinity 2 votes
Bkupa666 2 votes
Flyinfilipino
Hyper_Ridley
Not at all obvious. I'm mostly happy for TWILT and Nate getting joint third - another toast to these two great upcoming MYMers. Keep up the goodness and frolicking gaiety.

Special Award: Most Missed MYMer

1) SirKibble 10 votes
2) Wizzerd 9 votes
3) Chief Mendez 8 votes
Iron Thorn 5 votes
Cheap_Josh 4 votes
KoJ 3 votes
Spadefox 2 votes
Commander Blitzkrieg 2 votes
Tanookie 1 vote
Pelikinesis 1 vote
Darkserenade 1 vote
~Cruxis~ 1 vote
IvoryFlame 1 vote
GreatClayMonkey 1 vote
Sonic the Baron 1 vote
Wizzerd scored over Mendez? :bee:

Kibble won't be missed for much longer, so it makes sense that he's more on people's minds. Really, though? Who the hell misses Wizzerd? He only went missing a few weeks ago, and we have a search party out looking for the poor boy. And with Spade gone, we can only guess what could have happened to him. :c

Congrats to all the winners, and remember, everyone on this list had to be nominated regardless of how many votes they got, so every set and user nominated has gotten its due attention! And thanks to everyone who voted too!
And a massive thanks from everyone in Make Your Move for your awards once again, Silver. As far as I'm concerned, you should keep this tradition going for as long as you can; you do a great job.

The moveset drought was the exact reason why I made that controversial post. I was hoping to offer a solution to the drought. It's not that I gave up or anything.

I'd think that there's a obvious reason why people don't do as many sets as in the old days. I guess there's generally not a whole heap of motivation in the threads due to the lack of sets in the first place, which is basically causing even more problems. Generally people are going to be more hyped up about making a set if there are more sets than if there are not a lot. With this, MYM is generally a branch of humanity in where the combined efforts of people can do quite a lot.

I guess that you'll also make more sets if you have fun actually doing it. Personally, MYM was fun back when I started; to me the idea was to make every attack as flashy as possible like back in MYM4. These were actually FUN to imagine.

Personally I have more fun making sets that have fun interactions with them, traps, and summons, especially when you can imagine them all. Heatran, Gorea remake and Dio Brando were all fun to imagine and are easily on my top list. The only thing was that people were like no towards them and stuff during MYM6 and stuff. I guess I should just ignore them and do what I please. There's a lot of peer pressure, and perhaps people should generally do what they think is most fun rather than listen to others. Think about it: which kind of MYM would get the most sets in a competition; one where people do what they like for fun without being pressured by the others, or a competition where people go by the book and are pressured to send out a certain piece of work and try to impress others? I think that a lot of people are being controlled by peer pressure, and they may not know it.

The point is, that people should perhaps try to make what they want rather than what others want. I can be accounted as hypocritical for saying this, as Im always thinking that my moves have to be flashy and stuff.
This basically describes why I hesitated in posting that large piece on inactivity. It's somewhat self-defeating in that, I don't think you can force people to be more active - this contest is about having fun primarily, at least as an attraction. People aren't going to stay because you say the contest is "dying" [it isn't, and there isn't enough of a reason to care] and sure as hell aren't going to stay because you order them to. So, it simply comes down to individuals dedicating themselves like a bunch did in Make Your Move 8. Easier to say than do.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Wow, this time I didn't get anything at all. Not even a single vote for best joke set >_>

Looks like Axel Gear was posted a contest too early, as I have no desire whatsoever to make sets anymore if I'm such a washed-up has been.

Edit: Just to cover my @$$, I'm talking about solo sets. My current joints (Raichu and Zoroark) will be finished, and then every several months if I'm in an absolutley perfect mood I'll consider doing a joint.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind

You have my full support, Smady. I know I've been slacking off and making excuses, and that ends in MYM9. It's about **** time I started living up to my promises.

I, Monkey D. AWESOME, vow to at least make Raichu, Denchura, and Shibirudon during MYM9. And you know what? Why stop there? The sky's the limit.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice

I can tell you, Smady, that although I've been very inactive for this contest, I plan to make my dynamic entrance in MYM9, as I'm in the process of making two sets (don't know which one to finish first, I love both characters), and I have plans for at least 2 others. I also plan to be more active and try to comment on everyone's movesets, since I have a lot more free time now than I did before.

Congrats to everyone on their MYM awards! Here's to a great MYM9! :)

btw, has a date been decided for MYM9, or is it gonna be whenever y'all feel like it? cuz I wanna post my first moveset on the first page, if I could

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
i'm surprised I even placed 3rd. Wow.

I presume MYM9 will be up soon?
Not really. The Top 50 is still being tabulated, and there's usually a bit of a breather in between contests.

The start date hasn't been decided yet, but December 1st is probably the very earliest plausible date.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
wait...

Wrkngclsshr WASN'T Hyper_Ridley's "alt-account-for-teh-lulz?"

I thought it was... for like 4 months now... >.<
congrats to all the winners of MYM awards...

What with life getting in the way, I posted naught more than 3 times this MYM (and none of them were sets). Yet the one-year anniversary of my first, worst, and only MYM set to day approaches... I feel I cannot let my "real life" ruin my MYM life.

so this next MYM, I WILL find time to type up the 50-some pages of character concepts I have. I WILL organize an actual joint set. and I WILL finally submit that "joint set" from MYM 8 (yeah. the one from December 2009 that was never posted).

BRING IT ON WORLD! HERE I CO- *banned for egotistical optimism*

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Best Moveset Designer
MarthTrinity 2 votes
Lawl, two votes too many if I do say so myself =P

Best Capcom Series Set
Well I -HOPED- to do well here considering, ya know? All three of my sets were from Capcom games? Didn't expect to tie for first though, thought Edgeworth would far and away win it. Still though, great to see Q has his fans.

Best Joke Moveset
Holy three way ties Batman. Even though it wasn't really a joke set, it's great to see people enjoyed Sadako. Fun Fact: I originally planned to make the entirety of her moveset with playstyle and everything within the quoted bit but figured that'd detract too much from the "spookiness" of it, so I scrapped it and went for the much shorter route.

Most Helpful MYMer
1) Marthtrinity 7 votes
Mwuahahahaha. With that pesky Rool out of the way I -FINALLY- get to claim this one for myself. . .but you're all a bunch of liars; I've never been helpful and you know it ;P

Funniest MYMer
3) Marthtrinity 4 votes
3) Plorf 4 votes
3) Katapultar 4 votes
Figured I'd lose to the "Big 3" of humor lol.

Best Commenter
3) Marthtrinity 3 votes
Yeah, not my strongest MYM in terms of commenting. I tried to get most of the sets done but there were periods where I just kinda bleh'd out. Sorry about that!

Best Leader
2) MarthTrinity 10 votes
Somewhat surprising to say the least; obviously there's no such thing as a "best leader" since we're ALL ONE BIG HAPPY TEAM :3

MYM8 WINRAR
Marthtrinity 2 votes
lolthankyoubutnoisucked

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I won Funniest? :awesome:

I'd like to thank the voters... the leaders... everyone in MYM who made this possible :'D

I love you all...

Yo Khold, I'm real happy for you, and imma letchu finish, but Mendez was the funnies MYMer of all time. OF ALL TIME! :reverse:
:glare:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Regarding MYM's condition over the recent months, I think I have an idea as to why MYM is dying: the current concept of "Make Your Move" is not broad enough. MYM is only a competition that accepts complete sets and houses a lot of pressure on the people who participate. Let me ask this: if websites such as Deviantart were solely based on competition, do you think that they would be as popular as they are? Do you think Super Smash Bros would be as popular as it is if it was ONLY a competitive game?

It's up to you whether you want to reply to this or not.

When Make Your Move was first founded by Fawriel, it was designed to be a place where people could submit ideas for characters that they wanted in Smash. If you read the Front Page of the original competition, you'll actually see that Assist Trophies were allowed for entry, something that is overlooked today. On the other hand, Fawriel did make it known that Make Your Move was a competition.

I think it's time to admit that it's not enough for Make Your Move to ONLY be a competition. What it needs is a more casual feel that welcomes any idea, something the current world totally lacks. For example, thunder999 made a moveset for Garchomp early on. The moveset even begins with 'enjoy', something of a casual feel. The only problem was that the set didn't get included in the list of movesets JUST because it was missing Aerials and Grabs. Because of that, people in the future won't be aware of Garchomp because it was never written in the official history books of MYM. Forget the basic moveset requirements, a Smash World Forum member came to this Thread to make a set for a character he liked, and it didn't get included in the Stadium. That is so unfair. This is an example of MYM's nature at this time, it is a competition that doesn't like anything missing.

There's also ryuu seika's 4 Tales Characters. The author actually stated that he was told to post his sets in the Make Your Move thread, and no other thread on Smash World Forums would accept them. This actually got to me in a way when I became aware of it. It taught me that Make Your Move is the only place in where people can post their set ideas for what they want in Smash. They can do whatever they like. Since Make Your Move is the only place people can post their set ideas, I realized that the members need to open up to whatever ideas people want to present, or else it will remain or enter a worse state that it is currently in.

The idea of Future Make Your Move is that competition is toned down and all sets regardless of how much work has been put in, assist trophies, bosses, stages, Story Modes, or any kind of extra becomes accepted. These can all be made into lists on The Stadium under their various sections. Future Make Your Move will NOT be presented as a competition, but rather a thread in which anybody can post any ideas they like for a fictional Super Smash Bros Universe, not just playable characters. Also, people should be able to introduce characters they want to do anytime in the thread to encourage more activity.

For those engrossed in the competition, that won't be taken away. Instead, people can choose to nominate their sets (for participation in the competitions) and competitions can be held over time, like the MYM Awards and Top 50.

For MYM9, many changes need to take place. Trying to increase the competitive activity WON'T be enough. If MYM9 doesn't see through to these changes, it will have no choice but to if the current stature of the competition degrades. I think that keeping MYM as a competition is only going to hurt it. Changing it to a casual feel could increase the activity and bring it to a new age.

Smady

Smash Master
Regarding MYM's condition over the recent months, I think I have an idea as to why MYM is dying: the current concept of "Make Your Move" is not broad enough. MYM is only a competition that accepts complete sets and houses a lot of pressure on the people who participate. Let me ask this: if websites such as Deviantart were solely based on competition, do you think that they would be as popular as they are? Do you think Super Smash Bros would be as popular as it is if it was ONLY a competitive game?

It's up to you whether you want to reply to this or not.

When Make Your Move was first founded by Fawriel, it was designed to be a place where people could submit ideas for characters that they wanted in Smash. If you read the Front Page of the original competition, you'll actually see that Assist Trophies were allowed for entry, something that is overlooked today. On the other hand, Fawriel did make it known that Make Your Move was a competition.

I think it's time to admit that it's not enough for Make Your Move to ONLY be a competition. What it needs is a more casual feel that welcomes any idea, something the current world totally lacks. For example, thunder999 made a moveset for Garchomp early on. The moveset even begins with 'enjoy', something of a casual feel. The only problem was that the set didn't get included in the list of movesets JUST because it was missing Aerials and Grabs. Because of that, people in the future won't be aware of Garchomp because it was never written in the official history books of MYM. Forget the basic moveset requirements, a Smash World Forum member came to this Thread to make a set for a character he liked, and it didn't get included in the Stadium. That is so unfair. This is an example of MYM's nature at this time, it is a competition that doesn't like anything missing.

There's also ryuu seika's 4 Tales Characters. The author actually stated that he was told to post his sets in the Make Your Move thread, and no other thread on Smash World Forums would accept them. This actually got to me in a way when I became aware of it. It taught me that Make Your Move is the only place in where people can post their set ideas for what they want in Smash. They can do whatever they like. Since Make Your Move is the only place people can post their set ideas, I realized that the members need to open up to whatever ideas people want to present, or else it will remain or enter a worse state that it is currently in.

The idea of Future Make Your Move is that competition is toned down and all sets regardless of how much work has been put in, assist trophies, bosses, stages, Story Modes, or any kind of extra becomes accepted. These can all be made into lists on The Stadium under their various sections. Future Make Your Move will NOT be presented as a competition, but rather a thread in which anybody can post any ideas they like for a fictional Super Smash Bros Universe, not just playable characters. Also, people should be able to introduce characters they want to do anytime in the thread to encourage more activity.

For those engrossed in the competition, that won't be taken away. Instead, people can choose to nominate their sets (for participation in the competitions) and competitions can be held over time, like the MYM Awards and Top 50.

For MYM9, many changes need to take place. Trying to increase the competitive activity WON'T be enough. If MYM9 doesn't see through to these changes, it will have no choice but to if the current stature of the competition degrades. I think that keeping MYM as a competition is only going to hurt it. Changing it to a casual feel could increase the activity and bring it to a new age.
The problem with removing the competitive nature of the contest is that it was a natural evolution from Fawriel's original idea. By centralising set making into a single thread, it was only inevitable that the submissions would be judged against one another. From there, we saw the progression made by users like Mendez - like myself, a person who had been visiting these forums and participating in proxy set-making threads before Brawl came out - who were able to further centralise things like reviews in creating a leadership structure.

The contest is the foundation of pretty much everything. Without it, there'd be no hierarchy and no reason to participate beyond simply having fun... and Make Your Move would be putting itself at huge risk to rely on random users at Smash World Forums to log in and make movesets once or twice, with similar results. What we've always thrived on is the community, capable of producing dozens of high-quality sets and the admission of more users into the community who are found on the forum.

To put it in layman's terms, we can neither negate the competition nor can we make the contest "more fun," it's more of an attitude change that's needed. There's a lot of apathy, that can only be overcome through persevering and simply making sets again. What's good about the competition is that, whoever is responsible for such a reinvigoration would be rewarded, not only through the community as a whole, but through the top fifty and other such real awards.

That said, we're not at crisis point anymore, but we're certainly not doing well for activity. Things will get worse before they get better, unless we pull through as a community - and I have faith that we will.

goldwyvern

Smash Ace
Hello. I dont post often, but this time I have a reason. I need to ask MYM a favor. After following some kind of link, my computer got some sort of fake virus **** and I had to delete that account and start a new one. Thing is, no matter my browser or flash settings, the xat chatroom cannot work correctly. My computer overall is back to normal however, so no need to worry. Id like to ask a -big- favor of MYM. And that is this:

I am sincerely requesting the MYM leadership to find a new chatroom.

I know this is a huge request because we've been using xat for around 5 contests worth of time, but we need a new one if Im ever going to be able to chat with you guys again. I dont care what, as long as its free and doesnt download like Skype (Im not too fond of the phone number usage in Skype. Sorry but Im a bit paranoid about privacy.)

I dont care if Im hated by all of MYM because of this switch. But unless you want to see me roughly 95% less (when was the last time I was in the thread a lot?), this needs to happen. Plus, there were owner and mod issues before, as well as raids by non-MYMers, glitchiness, and overall undesirable qualities to xat, right? The only reason we stayed was tradition and a small handful of good smilies.

The largest loss will be Goo Chains, but god dammit if we cant type (GOO) in any chatbox.

As I said, hate me all you want. Metaphorically burn me at the stake, whatever. I just want the company of the greatest ****ing online community there is. 4chan and Youtube dont bide my time forever, y'know.

Sincerest apologies for the suddeness,

-GW

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
There IS a secondary chatroom in the form of the shoutbox. Link's in the social group.

So I guess everyone should jump there while Wyvern fixes Xat. (wary)

n88

Smash Lord
I don't think you'll be all that hated, GW. I'm not particularly attached to xat. I've only used Shoutbox once, but I don't really remember anything about it besides liking it less than xat.

Also, Goo chains are a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Thrice

Smash Cadet
Oh hay, it's that Thrice guy again. So yeah... we have the Shoutbox but uh...it's pretty terrible. The only thing I've ever used it for is communicating with Agi on his DS.

All I can think of is Skype, really. You say that you don't like the phone numbers but well...you don't actually use them. You don't CALL people's home phones or anything. It's purely computer stuff. If you really want to, you can just lie about everything and make up false info if you don't trust us. Lady herself knows Kupa "Reginald Smith" did.

If we're gonna move, it'll be to Skype. Only real alternative to Xat that doesn't suck ***. I suppose AIM or something could work, but Skype just offers a lot more than things like that.

Smady

Smash Master
AIM really wouldn't work... somehow, despite XAT being browser-based, our current chatroom is still ten times as good.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
MYM8 - The Top 50​

1. Dark Bowser [MasterWarlord]
2 .Nurse Joy [Junahu]
3. Mr. Potato Head [BKupa666]​
4. Octillery [JOE!]
5. Scarmiglione [UserShadow7989]
6. Magmortar [darth meanie]
7. Hariyama [darth meanie]
8. Kamek [n88_2004]
9. Rocket Executive Hugo [MasterWarlord]
10. Weezing [SmashDaddy]

11 .Dionysus [BKupa666]
12. Hannibal Bean [MasterWarlord]
13. Skeleton ["Axx o Nn"]
14. Gamageroge [MasterWarlord]
15. Miles Edgeworth [TWILTHERO]
16. Slinky [BKupa666]
17. Axel Gear [Hyper_Ridley]
18. Q [MarthTrinity]
19. Helios [Hyper_Ridley]
20. Omi [flyinfilipino]

21. Strike Man [MarthTrinity]
22. Etna [Junahu]
23. Antonidas [MasterWarlord
24. Mr. Luggs [BKupa666]
25. Sir Arthur [MarthTrinity]
26. Haunter [n88_2004]
27. Mr. Mime [flyinfilipino]
28. The Item Tree [Junahu]
29. Burst Man [Koppakirby]
30. Jace [cutter]

31. Concrete Man [Kholdstare]
32. MegaMan10 Proto Man [Junahu]
33. Forretress [JOE!]
34. Napalm Man [agidius]
35. Cacturne [UserShadow7989]
36. Hitagi [half_silver28]
37. Jack Spicer [flyinfilipino]
38. The Infected [Kholdstare]
39. Colonel Sanders [john!]
40. Exeggutor [MasterWarlord]

41. Empoleon [TheSundanceKid & agidius]
42. Spartan Warrior [JOE!]
43. Lakitu [Kholdstare]
44. Torkoal [n88_2004]
45. Ventus [TWILTHERO
46. Urgot [ChrisLionheart]
47. Hamm [BKupa666]
48. Komodo Bros. [MasterWarlord]
49. Archer [darth meanie]
50. Secret Apprentice [darth meanie]​

And so the Top 50 is done and posted! I'll eventually get around to making it look prettier with links and better coding and all that...but as for now, people wanted it up so I did the best I could =P

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in MYM8! It was an honor to be this contest's OP -AND- Vote Guru! Excellent job everyone; here's to another great MYM!~<3

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
MYM8 - The Top 50​

20. Omi [flyinfilipino]

27. Mr. Mime [flyinfilipino]

I've never even placed in the Top 50 before, so this is a pleasant surprise. Thanks to everyone who voted for me this contest!

And congratulations to everyone, whether you placed high, low, or not at all. Everyone contributed to an interesting and fun contest! Here's to a great MYM9!

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
So...nice to know I managed to crack top 20 with Edgey! Kinda disappointed about it being shift down (nice job Junahu (clap)), but still pretty happy he placed high. Kinda wanted Ventus to be higher too, but I'm glad he got onto the top 50 as well!

Other people I'm happy for are MT, n88, and FlyinFil! Glad to know that Q, Kamek, and Omi placed fairly high as well! as for the rest of the top 50, it all seemed pretty obvious (though I personally didn't like Skeleton THAT much...). I am very surprised by Spartan Warrior, and Secret Apprentice placing. No offense to JOE or DM, but I felt that neither of these sets felt top 50 worthy.

Otherwise, congrats to the winners! Here's to the future! :bee:

half_silver28

Smash Ace
So. Obligatory massive top 50 quote/comment time :D

1. Dark Bowser [MasterWarlord]
ololol totally didn't see this coming. regardless, no complaints with DB as victor
2 .Nurse Joy [Junahu]
Also very expected. Joy's a great set.
3. Mr. Potato Head [BKupa666]​
deserved placement here, great job Kupa!
4. Octillery [JOE!]
5. Scarmiglione [UserShadow7989] a US top 10 set: awesome (h)
6. Magmortar [darth meanie]
7. Hariyama [darth meanie] I did think hariyama was the better of these two actually (wary)
8. Kamek [n88_2004] & an n88 top 10 set: great showing this MYM for nate/neight/potato
9. Rocket Executive Hugo [MasterWarlord]
10. Weezing [SmashDaddy]

11 .Dionysus [BKupa666] switch with slinky (wary)
12. Hannibal Bean [MasterWarlord]
13. Skeleton ["Axx o Nn"]
14. Gamageroge [MasterWarlord]
15. Miles Edgeworth [TWILTHERO] yay Edgeworth! Twilt really did have an awesome showing this MYM (h)
16. Slinky [BKupa666]
17. Axel Gear [Hyper_Ridley]
18. Q [MarthTrinity] the best MT set this contest (y)
19. Helios [Hyper_Ridley]
20. Omi [flyinfilipino] first placing for FF in MYM I believe: great job with Omi!

21. Strike Man [MarthTrinity] wasn't a big fan of strike man, but again, nice to see all of MT's sets placing. :)
22. Etna [Junahu]
23. Antonidas [MasterWarlord
24. Mr. Luggs [BKupa666]
25. Sir Arthur [MarthTrinity] 25th (HIPPO)
26. Haunter [n88_2004]
27. Mr. Mime [flyinfilipino] FF gets 3 top 50 sets (while this old guy has never had more than one placing set per MYM (wary) )
28. The Item Tree [Junahu]
29. Burst Man [Koppakirby] nice to see KK getting a good placement, burst man is epic
30. Jace [cutter] same as above but with cutter, nice job with Jace

31. Concrete Man [Kholdstare]
32. MegaMan10 Proto Man [Junahu]
33. Forretress [JOE!]
34. Napalm Man [agidius] should be MUCH higher (crs)
35. Cacturne [UserShadow7989] same as above. cacturne got overshadowed by Scarmiglione D:
36. Hitagi [half_silver28] higher than I expected: nice to see my placing streak continue xP
38. The Infected [Kholdstare]
39. Colonel Sanders [john!] a bit higher than I'd expect, but just seeing on the Colonel on the top 50 is awesome
40. Exeggutor [MasterWarlord]

41. Empoleon [TheSundanceKid & agidius] THERE YA GO SUNDANCE
42. Spartan Warrior [JOE!] very unexpected: I didn't even vote the spartan, thinking he had no chance to place (ONO)
43. Lakitu [Kholdstare] actually my preferred Khold set: nice job with 3 placing sets though Khold (H)
44. Torkoal [n88_2004]
45. Ventus [TWILTHERO
46. Urgot [ChrisLionheart] placement for a 3 hour set is epic, & always nice to see a Lionheart set place
47. Hamm [BKupa666]
48. Komodo Bros. [MasterWarlord] should be higher: the Bros kind of got left in the dust lol
49. Archer [darth meanie] oh wow: nice to see archer sneak on here (chew)
50. Secret Apprentice [darth meanie]​
........wut.

And so the Top 50 is done and posted! I'll eventually get around to making it look prettier with links and better coding and all that...but as for now, people wanted it up so I did the best I could =P

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in MYM8! It was an honor to be this contest's OP -AND- Vote Guru! Excellent job everyone; here's to another great MYM!~<3
& THANKS TO YOU MT, for being the OP & Vote Guy for MYM8! :bee:

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations to everyone, even those who didn't place in the Top 50. I didn't have time to read all of the sets, but those I did read were very good, and I'm sad that some of my favorites didn't get Top 50. Nowadays, I have more free time, so I plan on reading and commenting on each and every set in MYM9. I'll also be posting a set or two, so be on the lookout.

Top Bottom