• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Poll - Most important matchup to learn

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Hello -Insert Character Board Here-,

I'm conducting a character-wide poll about each character's most important matchup. This is simply out of curiosity of the current metagame and every person's stance on their character.

Each person get's 1 vote, regardless of character board, your first vote will be the only one counted. So please only vote for your main character. Make's my life easier if I'm not having to triple-check everyone.

Please keep in mind this isn't your most difficult matchup. I want to hear your most important matchup. There is a slight, but significant difference in this. If your worst matchup is Jigglypuff - do you consider Jigglypuff an important matchup to actually learn? Doubtful. So please vote for the most IMPORTANT matchup.

Of course, your most important matchup may be your hardest one. But just keep the above in mind.

You can vote now if you wish, and if you cannot find this topic in your main's board. Please wait as I must wait 30 seconds between each thread to post a topic. I am going in alphabetical order and I will reach your main eventually.

Thank you.

SuSa.

EDIT:

Wolfcario - Fox
Link2702 - Meta Knight
KRDsonic - Meta Knight
Seagull Man- Meta Knight
Gah777 - Meta Knight
_Kain_ - Meta Knight
Eddy - Meta Knight
castorpollux - Meta Knight || Changed vote on page 2?
Zync - Meta Knight
Ishieymoro- Meta Knight
Auspher - Falco
Goldenadept - Meta Knight
vVv Choice - Meta Knight
Laem - Meta Knight

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Are you serious? The only purpose this serves is for you to gain more back-up for your desperate attempts to manipulate people.

GTFO

:059:

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Are you serious? The only purpose this serves is for you to gain more back-up for your desperate attempts to manipulate people.

GTFO

Cool. You know absolutely nothing about why I'm conducting this poll.

I'm anti-ban. Huge FYI. I live in SoCal. Look at our PR. 6 MK's. I can handle them. He's not overcentralizing, and he's not broken.

Answer the **** poll.

Wolfcario

Smash Apprentice
Welp, lets give this a try...
I think the most important match-up for me is Wolf vs. Fox. They are supposed to have a dead even match-up, the most even in the game besides dittos, which means it's almost completely based on pure skill. So I think this is the most important MU (for me) because it's an incredible test of skill. Whether I'm Wolf or the occasional time I use Fox, this is an important and very fun fight.

link2702

Smash Champion
i think its pretty freaking obvious...every last perosn in brawl needs to learn the meta*** matchup,

best character in the game...

can't be cp'd whatsoever stagewise or characterwise(i'm pretty sure even fox in melee didn't even have that wonderful trait...)

easy to use, hell easiest character in smash history to get "good" with, it doesn't take hardly any time at all to truely get "good" with metaknight, to get pro with him is another story, but to just get "good" with em, it isn't that hard

everyone needs to learn the metaknight matchup, pure and simple.

next in line i'd say would be the ice climbers, you've gotta completly change the way you play when facing them, unless you are snake who **** near just ***** em with ease, you've gotta be seriously careful when facing the eskimos, you've gotta know your cp stages, the perfect way to play, and you've gotta take every last chance you find to seperate em and butcher nana, if you make one mistake against em and they grab you....well....better luck next stock.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
For wolf I'd say Meta Knight, mainly because he isn't too bad against Meta Knight compared to other characters, and if you main Wolf, chances are you won't use your alt to fight him. If Wolf was slightly worse against MK then I would have said someone else. It's not because MK is the best character in the game, but because it's most-likely going to be the matchup you will play the most with Wolf.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Metaknight. Then prolly Pika or DDD cause IMO they can be the worst for Wolf. But their not abundant. MK's the most important. You beat someone they even CP MK. He's by far the most important

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Wolf is the most important match up to me because two bair dances is better than one

Zync

Smash Journeyman
Id rather learn MK coz 50% of the people use him, and if you dont play 100%no mistakes he will **** u, as MK can do as many mistakes as he wants....

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Depends on your definition of "important"... but in terms of tournament performance, the answer (imo) is pretty clear. MK.

What KRD said is true. Aside from that, most used character, most common secondary/CP that people bust out ALL THE TIME, and also tends to perform well on a wide variety of stages (getting into this soon). How often do you go through a tournament without coming across at least one person that's using MK against you? Exactly.

Counterpicks are where MK gets to be a bit of a hassle for Wolf imo. FD is generally a bad stage for him, but Wolf can't CP that stage so safely because of the possibility that a MK main secondaries DeDeDe or Pikachu (among other characters that have hardcore CGs, but those two being the biggest problem). Also, when Wolf goes to CP a character that he has a mediocre matchup with, pocket MK comes to ruin the day. Wolf can no longer safely CP to a stage with pass-through floors (among other less-clearly-defined attributes), and when you consider that many Wolves like to play on stages like Halberd, Delfino, and Brinstar... it's not very fun.

D

Deleted member

Falco.

Why? He's become a pretty common character to see played at tournaments, and if you don't know how to play the MU(platform camp until mid 30%, Ban FD, etc), he can potentially break you. He's a character that you have to stay on your toes with, and you can't lose focus even after the frustration of losing a stock. After you're reset to 0%, it's back to playing cautious again.

It's an important MU to know because a lot of wolves have trouble with it, but if you know the simple rules of the MU, Falco is cake.

About MK, here's something interesting that Tantalus posted today:

Wolf is one of Metaknight's hardest matchups, IMO. Joe knows it quite well. Since he's my most common partner, I know his style of play, which is why I can keep up.
Joe being Seagull.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i think since MK is the most centralize character of the game and you WILL run into him a any given tournament that he's wolfs most important MU

what auspher said was very true as well with falco and his potential ability to shut wolf down

i'm gonna add Diddy as well because its readily apparent that he's better than snake at this point, performance wise that is. If you dont know proper stage control and item use then that diddy is literally going to tear you a new one. i know wolf has a reletively good MU against him and all that but given his recent placings and how beastly he can be played right i think he's another MU that needs to be learned well.

MK takes precedence imo though

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Falco.

Why? He's become a pretty common character to see played at tournaments, and if you don't know how to play the MU(platform camp until mid 30%, Ban FD, etc), he can potentially break you. He's a character that you have to stay on your toes with, and you can't lose focus even after the frustration of losing a stock. After you're reset to 0%, it's back to playing cautious again.

It's an important MU to know because a lot of wolves have trouble with it, but if you know the simple rules of the MU, Falco is cake.

About MK, here's something interesting that Tantalus posted today:

Joe being Seagull.
While true that Falco is a matchup Wolf's have to learn Auspher. Mk is much more common and requires more knowledge. It takes a long time to actually know how to play this matchup because Wolf can't play vs Mk like he can any other character. He is very hard for Wolf if you don't know how to punish everything and make godly use of Shine. It took me about 6 months to understand the matchup enough to beat average to above average Mk's.

You can generally autopilot vs Falco/Snake/Diddy/Peach/Low tiers/etc...

The only matchup that require different styles completely is Wolf vs Metaknight.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
i say metaknight because if you know how to punish everything metaknight does on reaction, you can punish any other character in the game

D

Deleted member

That's the mistake that a lot of Wolves make against Falco...autopiloting. I've done it myself, and it cost me the stock.

Choice

Smash Champion
Metnite, hands down. I think everyone would agree that if you desire to have any success competitively with any character the most important mu would be mk. Unless you try to just dodge him in brackets or your region lacks good ones.

link2702

Smash Champion
lool...see susa....just about everyoen said mk....

what was your point of these topics? do you mean to tell me you honestly thought it was gonna be something different? for all the reasons i pointed out here, its gonna be mk in just about every board.

Laem

Smash Champion
im indeed thinking exactly what link says
why would any1 not say MK o_O

vote: mk

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
it's a tough call for me on this. either falco or meta knight obviously.

falco because i've run into this scenario countless times in brackets/pools.

"oh you beat my main? i'm just going to switch to falco because i can cg you."

in fact, it happened to me twice this past weekend at Nope's tournament in springfield, ohio. i deal with it well though because it's probably my favorite mu, or at least top 3. >.>

meta knight for obvious reasons. he's everywhere and wolf has an incredibly hard time fighting him if you don't know how to do it perfectly. which is why i no longer play wolf against mk.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
If it's my first time at 38 different hypothetical tournaments and I have to play against different (all) characters at each of them in the first round, I'm probably going to have the hardest time against a Falco.

However, if it is a veterian player, I vote D3. MK has never seemed that difficult. Even before I knew about shining, blaster and B-air have always beaten the tornado and that seems to be what makes people rage. Just don't get grabbed at 0% so you aren't 30% behind from the start, don't get D-tilted.

D

Deleted member

meta knight for obvious reasons. he's everywhere and wolf has an incredibly hard time fighting him if you don't know how to do it perfectly. which is why i no longer play wolf against mk.
Who do you use then? Zelda? O_o

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
Who do you use then? Zelda? O_o
oh god no lol. i use diddy kong for him. that mu really just makes me angry, so i decided i would just use someone else for him. i still use wolf for every other mu, though. actually i lied. XD i use zelda or diddy for pikachu as well haha.

D

Deleted member

I try to go Solo Wolf, but I don't know...my Lucas has been getting pretty good, lol.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
there's just a point where i broke and couldn't stand being beaten by players less skilled than me due to my character disadvantage haha. i love playing wolf 100x more than any other character in the game, but i enjoy a lot of others too so i don't mind playing diddy

Top Bottom