• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mindset of A True Champion

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
The Mindset of a True Champion

I broke this up into two parts for easier reading, in case you want to take a break or something. Kinda long.

If you’re serious about improving or making it to the top chances are you’re going to be playing a lot of matches with other people. Therefore most players practice in different ways, each having their own methods for improving. Some people practice the same combos over and over to commit them to an insane level of muscle memory. Some people practice freeflowing combos, just reacting after each hit. Just as we must consciously develop methods and systems for practicing, we must also pay attention to our emotional state.

When you miss a combo or an edgeguard after practicing for so long, you’re gonna get upset with yourself…Especially if your opponent escapes and death combos you. You’re probably going to be thinking, “that would never have happened if I didn’t mess up.” And the more you mess up, the more frustrated you’re going to get. Then you start playing bad in other aspects of your game, and all of a sudden the most crucial part of a Smasher’s journey to the top (Practicing/training) has turned into something annoying that makes you feel bad.

This holds some people I know back greatly, and I’m sure it does to others too. Have you ever played against someone who complained about how bad they were playing? Usually they’re not really that great of a player. Why? Because when they play bad they either quit to do something else, or they dwell on how bad they’re playing. So which one is better for a player striving to be great…Playing frustrated or not playing at all?

Neither of them. You’ll never make it to the top doing either of those. Instead, I challenge you to look at this game from a different perspective. Void yourself of all emotions both in and out of tournament. You don’t get happy when you do a death combo, and you feel no anger when you get death combod. If you lose to a player you feel you shouldn’t, accept that they are better and move on.

I want to explain why this is so hard for most people, but also why it is so rewarding. Most dedicated smashers put a lot of time into this game. As such, we all have pride in our abilities. When we play other people we may not be expecting to win, but at the least we want them to know what we’re capable of. Everybody wants to be a somebody in this game, and that’s a great thing, because being a somebody in this community is something. So, naturally when we don’t play our best or we get ****ed up by another player, we begin to feel bad. If it’s someone we think we’re better than, our egos get in the way and we feel they don’t deserve it.

Here’s the challenge. When practicing, don’t see anyone as targets that you need to murder, or scrubs you need to ****. Don’t see them as noobs or pros, inexperienced or experienced. Instead, see them for the most efficient thing you can see them as: Opportunity for growth and knowledge. How can you possibly get upset when you’re learning and becoming a better player? If you get death combod, it doesn’t matter if they’re a pro or not, it happened. Suppress your emotions and focus on why it happened and what you could have done to prevent it. Then test it the next time that situation arises.

This gets difficult if your opponent has a huge ego, and they think they’re better than you. Maybe they are so every time you kill them they silently shake their head. Or maybe they’re worse than you but they’re winning because you’re messing up, and every time they kill you they make a noise or a motion with their hands. You just want to get back to the stage and death combo them asap, or tell them how bad you’re playing due to your cold hands…

But wait, do you really want to do that? Do you want to sacrifice your maturity as a player, as well as control of your own emotional state just to let someone know you think you’d be beating them if you were playing better? Ok, you tell them that. You think they really care? You think they’re going to believe you anyways? So now you feel less angry, but nothing has truly been accomplished.

So, next time you miss a wavedash for an edgehog and they end throwing you off stage and gimping you ftw, and then they say, “Yeah, don’t mess around near the edge when I’m playing Marth”…Will you be able to say, “Haha, nice man.” And continue to learn? Or will you lose it and waste the precious time you have to improve in between tournaments?

Part 2

The ultimate goal of adopting this emotionally challenging mindset, is to maximize how much you learn and how fast you learn it, in turn maximizing how fast you improve. With so many people out there reaching for the top, you can’t count on them to be getting frustrated and wasting every hour they put into the game, remaining stagnant and stale as a player. Therefore you cannot afford to do that either. Imagine if every time something happened in the game, our minds consciously registered it, a list of options was displayed for how to beat that situation, and then we practiced them and used them accordingly. Yeah, that would be amazing for anyone trying to be the best. However, that’s impossible. Our brains cannot spot every situation we mess up in, and since they happen so fast our minds tend to move on to the next situation as it’s happening, forgetting why we got hit in the first place so now we’re focused on recovering.

That’s another problem, not fully analyzing a situation because the game is so fast. Now imagine that happening to all of us, while we’re getting angry at ourselves and our opponents. How much are we going to learn? How slow is our improvement going to be? It doesn’t make much sense to play like this, does it?

At ROM3, I watched Mango vs Hbox friendlies and not only observed their play, but both players' reactions and actions outside of the game. Hbox was playing pretty bad, it was clear from how many rests he was missing and how many tech errors he had. Mango was playing pretty good, being able to control Hbox and do all of his combos with accuracy and precision.

Mango looked extremely at ease, sitting there smiling and laughing every time he died, no matter how "gay" most people would normally feel the death was. Even when he lost the match due to a gimp at 0, he'd just laugh it off.

Hbox, someone whom I have an immense amount of respect for, was obviously upset to be playing that bad with so many people watching, especially when Mango is arguably the only person who stands in his way to being the best, and it was clear Mango was trying. This was a huge chance for Hbox to overcome again, arguably his last barrier in making Melee history...But it wasn't happening that day, and you could see his frustration every time he missed a rest.

But, that's all it was, just small signs of frustration. With people behind you watching and commenting in awe every time you get *****, while being recorded knowing that these videos of you playing bad are going to be going online and getting judged, and the inner frustration of playing bad despite how good you know you can be...Would you be able to continue to play and learn? What's impressive was not only did he play for a long time without ever giving up in any of the matches, he didn't make any excuses to anyone and even on Smashboards, his posts all reflect how each of his losses were fair and the people who beat him deserved to win. (But you know he's just thinking of ways to **** them up next time haha)

Also Hbox, we didn't get to play like I wanted, but your matches with Lucky and Mango were so good it was hard for me to interrupt haha.

At any rate this is a mindset that I am nowhere near mastering yet btw, but I’m familiar enough with it to confidently say, when you do manage to get into this zone for the first time…Where you don’t feel anything, but you’re always learning…Training sessions turn from a chore into a rich activity filled with depth and near endless situations to master. The real challenge is being consistent with it, even when you're late on rent or when your boss yelled at you all day long for an 8 hour shift.

Don't let your emotions, all stirred up from outside influences affect your game. Rather, let the game be an arena separate from everything else. A place to go to grow and learn and see improvement no matter what's happening in your life. That way, you can count on Smash to be something you always look forward to doing, going even far as to say it can become a way to creatively express yourself, and who doesn't feel good tech chasing someone from 0 to death while walking the whole time, just because you can? Haha, that's what this game's about, what you can and can't do...And the more you can, the more fun practicing becomes.

If this got a little cheesy my bad, I just started writing and I didn't stop haha.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Jesiah with the truth as always.

I view opponents as simply habitual characters that I can expect certain things from, depending on how much time I've played them/watched their stuff(that's used more to keep yourself from being intimidated, but I suppose it could be used for improvement as well). Just goes to show you that there are a few different ways to have an achieving mindset, but the core of what you say is correct.

Keep it up man.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Thanks guys.

Yeah, the core concept is maximizing your efficiency in regards to improvement. You don't have to rid yourself of all emotion I suppose, that's just my way of going about it.

I like the added effects that has to playing in tournament though. If you don't get super excited when you get a kill, you'll never feel the pressure of having to stop someone from coming back on you. If you don't get upset when you lose a match, you can go into the game with nothing but more knowledge about your opponent, instead of having to fight uphill to play better due to being frustrated.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have no pride 1st off I don't because it's useless. I doubt others could do that like I have. As for messing up It takes a lot of messing up to mess with me and normally there's a legit reason why and it's even when I 4 stock someone sometimes but I didn't do the combos right when I could. I once lost to some random guy 4 times in a row I was 4 stocked each time.

My john was the tv was was to high we found out we were at the wrong venue and we got a nnormal tv and I easily ***** him very hard back. but normally like as long as I don't talk and play at the same time i'm good.

I play to learn rarely to win I'll work on this extra hard I guess.

Bing

Smash Master
hmm, good read. I do tend to get angry when I consistently mess up, or if Im just having a bad day, like my techs just arent there or something, ill just switch off that character and use Falcon then go back... I dunno why, Im not very good with Falcon(though Im not bad) but playing as Falcon like, calms my hands and lets me get my head level. Though you cant pretty much waste a match in a tournament setting. And yeah, for the longest time, Smash bros was the exit to anything bothering me. so I defs agree with this whole article, if you will. Again, well done.

Signia

Smash Lord
wtf I cnat read that much. yur bein 2 serious. get this cheesy **** out of here. good **** breaking it up into 2 parts I didn't think i could make it but den i saw the 2 parts and i was like ****

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
This really applies to me. the last tournament I was at I was about to edgehog this marth for an easy ko, but I ended up air dodging off the edge, losing my last stock, the match, and last chance of making it out of pools. I was EXTREMELY frustrated, I believe I yelled the f word.

Good read.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I laugh at my deaths all the time. mostly because I SD alot XD but yeah when you get outplayed and lose a stock/match/set because of it, it's really heartbreaking. If I could just apply "the zone" that you were talking about, then maybe that could lead me to be a better player. Thanks Jesiah, this post was truth at it's best

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
This post reminds me of SilentSpectre. I pretty much followed him to every setup he played at during Pound 4. He nods in approval every time his opponent does something smart, and also laughs hysterically when he gets death combo'd. He told me that whoever has the most fun playing and learning is eventually who will win. Admirable stuff.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
one of my favorite quotes, its actually on my fb

"You've gotta have fun with this game. If you don't, you're going to hit a brick wall and probably stay at the same skill level."
-PC Chris

Pi

Smash Hero
agree w/ most of it
i'd like to encourage more people to, when they can, play infinite time matches as friendlies
not stock matches

cause you're not trying to win, you're trying to learn and grow as a player, and if you're focused on 4 stocking someone, or 'not losing' to someone, or not getting 4 stocked, or just trying to take this stock off etc etc it detracts from where your focus really should be, and that is on your opponents character and what he's doing

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Keep smiling even when you lose, that's how I did through out my whole career of smash. When you lose, you just got your *** kicked, that's all there is to it.. and now as to why you got your *** kicked well.. it might take a ****ton of grinding to be able to figure it out. However, a champion is only born if you are willing to put a LOT of time into something. Grind your *** off until you understand everything. I mean can you really expect to lift 200 lbs without any training at all? Dreamers will dream, it's nice but.. walking the dream is totally different.

So ya, suck it up and continue to move forward. Getting whooped by Hbox/Mango and then PP 3 stocking me with various characters consistently x15 times tells me something... It tells me that my ego is bull****... what I taught of myself that I am the super great powerful warrior is not true at all, it's just an image of an almighty self. Which means it needs to go away and there's a lot of work ahead of me. =)

Though at the same time, have I reached my limit? How the hell can I push through the top 10 spot? Is it my character or is it me? And if I have not reached my limit, how can I improve even more?

These are questions I asked myself right now that I have yet to answer. Also, I realized that I have been training to do new things in tournament, however when it came down to it, it felt like I was playing like the old me would. Also, the scene here is dead, all I do is play with my friends here and there during the week for 4-5 hours (3 days a week about)... which means I can only get as good as the best guy here, yes? So.. the only way for me to get extremely good is by seeing the top players it seems.

Hax

Smash Champion
good read; this is a secret to success i myself have discovered recently. only 2 things i'd add:

1. i disagree with "You don’t get happy when you do a death combo." imo emotions should only be avoided when they're detrimental to your play; the way you feel after landing a death combo is the opposite. people i play frequently know that after i land a hax combo, i'll ride the momentum it gives me all the way until the end of the match. my mindset is "play like a robot when you're playing either badly or decently. when you're playing well, be human"
2. this applies to me especially since i play falcon who is leagues behind most characters you see played in tournament, but it could also apply to anyone that doesn't like certain matchups or players: don't even think about who you're playing against. my mindset whenever i play somebody is "who is this *****?" LOL, it really helps though. view your match with your opponent simply as an obstacle you must overcome, rather than "holy sh*t, ______ is so good and i don't stand a chance." vs mango and lucky, the best team in the world, at ROM3, i told myself i'd have a good time playing teams with juan and not allow their status to intimidate me. even though we still lost, we did significantly better than we did vs them at APEX and i wasn't dropping combos vs mango like i usually do.

just my 2 cents haha

Bones0

Smash Legend
He nods in approval every time his opponent does something smart
Dude, idk why, but I HATE when people do this. I could have just totally 0-death destroyed them and then they nod and I rage a little inside. I totally support the idea of accepting you made a mistake and learning from it, and I'd like to think I rarely blame the game or luck for me losing. I think I'm just too used to Halo where when I get off my opponent instantly nerd-rages. I seem to get less satisfaction if my opponent isn't losing hope/focus. I guess you could say I'm kind of a prick, based off of that... >_>

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
1. i disagree with "You don’t get happy when you do a death combo." imo emotions should only be avoided when they're detrimental to your play; the way you feel after landing a death combo is the opposite. people i play frequently know that after i land a hax combo, i'll ride the momentum it gives me all the way until the end of the match. my mindset is "play like a robot when you're playing either badly or decently. when you're playing well, be human"
I agree with this. Sometimes you just need to take joy in getting off

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Also I think your current mindset is a progressive. When you are a champion, he does not have all these mental warfares inside of him. He already has overcome everything that is needed. His will is absolute. All he can do is his best and he will destroy everyone.. that's why he's #1. =P

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Kage- I completely understand what you're saying and I'm curious to see how it develops. I haven't mastered this mindset yet. I still get annoyed and frustrated sometimes so it's definitely a challenge trying to reap the rewards...But, I can tell this mindset may not be permanent. It may only be a stepping stone to something else...At the least, I want to take this as far as I can for now.

Hax- I feel you man, and yeah if you can get momentum from death combo'ing someone, definitely run with it, that's why u **** haha

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Yeah my friends who played u guys said every time falcon grabbed at all they just got rested instantly LOL falcon jiggs has to be such a fun team to play as, for either player

Life

Smash Hero
Actually, I'm pretty sure hbox's grammar is correct. The "me and Hax" thing is after the verb.

/lurkinggrammarstapo

Anyway, while I'm not lurking, good thread is good. Jesiah writes pretty decently, and as someone who doesn't compete in Melee (mainly because I suck at it) I find this thread very insightful.

Top Bottom