• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Rat

Smash Lord
Advice:

1) Your UpB execution sucked. Make it better.
2) When you WD back (Evading a falco Nair/Dair) try Utilt. Dsmash is good but Utilt combos into dsmash. (edit: woops I missed that you were trading with his Nair. hm.... I guess it's range dependant)
3) When you grab or Utilt (ie hit falco up) and he's going to land on a platform: Throw out a Dair tech-chase instead of forcing a nair or reacting to a tech with Bair. It's like 10,000% better. (As it covers all tech options and combos like a machine.)
4) hm.... edit this one out.
5) Fair is an ok move to use. When falco is on a short platform diagonally above you, you like lose nothing by throwing out a fair. You can FF it and be back on the ground. You can do cool timing tricks. Lots of fun.
6) When falco is on a platform and you are jumping up to hit them and their shield will get up in time: do Uair or Nair. Your shield poke percentage will go way up.
7) When falco ledgehogs your Grapple: Press A to reel in, then tap away to wall jump, then immediately bomb. (I haven't tried Wall Jump-Airdodge, though is sounds hella good.)
8) I'm not a huge fan of dash attack in this match-up. If you enter falco's SHDair (OoS generally) range, I'd rather just grab or shield.

Lastly and most importantly come to Smashing Grounds: Next Generation III this saturday.

Rat

Smash Lord
duck's last post said:
...we are super johnly and won't come to chicago
that sucks. I'll try to get chicago to come to the SWEET closer.

I do want to play moose again cause I lost to him last time and am feeling very johnly about that loss.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
Dash attack ten million more times, find different ways to get back on the ground of the stage (that's tougher than everyone thinks) try different punishes on shield. IMO that matchups phun but its kinda painful when you get combod.

Pi

Smash Hero
Pay attention to how the marth is approaching;
If he's staying grounded, you have ftilt, dash attack, and grab to work with
Primarily you're going to want to use Ftilt, but if you notice he doesn't shield approaches but instead tries to counter attack you, you may want to switch to DA
and if he does shield when you approach, grab

Some times you have to guess a grab, you cannot let the marth shield you all day

if he's Shffling moves, you have grab and dash attack that are going to be reliable

If he's not giving you space to work with, then shield, and UB him, he will back off, they all do
But help him along by moving around, if you can't shoot missiles then don't worry about it, just move around a lot and make it hard for him to space

if he is giving you space, then shoot missiles and pay attention to how he reacts to them, may provide for an approach

And most importantly for mitigating damage in this matchup:
When you are recovering, both to the edge of the stage, or from above marth
You are recovering, you are not on the offensive, your whole goal is to get back to the stage ground and reset it because you are at a serious disadvantage being above him.

Take it slow, bomb, air dodge, fast fall, waveland, air dodge grapple into bomb into another air dodge idc

Touch the ground, touch the platform, get back to a position where you are comfortable in

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
if you can get good at predicting when marth will grab you, spot dodge -> dsmash. this works well on almost anything that marth throws at you, except his nair. ftilt is your best friend. you should check out my video in the previous page. Grand Finals vs. Sheen 2.2. samus vs. marth

Violence

Smash Lord
This is actually probably now the matchup I have the most experience with compared to my other ones.

Here's a tip with edgeguarding Marth:

If he's close to the stage, go to the very edge and try to bait him into dj fairing you, then immediately wd back and utilt, if you think he's above the edge and may grab it, and you think he can't immediately, wd back pivot, and wd onto the edge. Worst case, he hits you with Up B, landing on stage, and you're already crouch cancelling the Up B, so you can hit him while he's in special landing lag.

If he's far away from the stage, there are two approaches I've seen. Some people like the on stage approach, and I personally like the off stage approach.

On stage, you have to know exactly how far your utilt can reach and how far his upb can reach horizontally, because you can barely outspace him. Takes a lot of good spacing and timing, I haven't quite gotten it down, and they can up b further out and warp to the edge out of range of your utilt.

Off stage, run off and nair him. You really just have to watch him. If he goes to one of those magic places where your nair and his trajectory collide, you can just go out there and hit him.

Here's one of my matches for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV2B-6BnSQI

Yeah, my tech skill sucks, I never tech chased, messed up a few edgeguards and made a lot of poor choices when coming down from above marth, but the only reason I was able to make this match even remotely close, as this marth is better than I am, is by knowing the spacing well, and just walk off nairing.

Eventually, or if you play a smart marth, on the first try, they will fast fall away from your nair and up B outside of its range. In that case, you can walk off, and watch them. If they don't fast fall, hit them. If they do, double jump and nair right between them and the ledge. They either up B you and ledgetech, or they up B you and die. Either way, an Up B won't kill you.

This is an example of a marth dodging the walk off nair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOOuO0F51Q#t=0m48s

Here's one where I bait marth who had already dodged the walk off nair once, and simply edgehog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpwsDHR6KV8#t=3m09s

Anyways, I think the one thing every Samus needs to know about Marth is simply don't challenge him from the wrong directions.

You can't challenge him horizontally, or coming down above him. If you are above him, stop thinking about coming down with an aerial to hit him, start thinking about just getting your feet on the ground. Avoid his air space completely. Bombs help. Don't use your double jump when you get hit up still on stage, it takes away an out and is exactly what the Marth wants.

Also, cc dtilt his fair is quite effective(as long as fair is not tippered!), since you get a free uair usually. The only time it sucks is when they come down with fast fall fair, l cancel, then immediately fsmash. You need to be mashing that a button to get it out in time, and at higher percents, not gonna happen.

Anyways, you're definitely a better Samus than I am, hopefully I'll get to play you sometime, this is what I know about the Marth matchup.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i liked the music in those last two videos because it kinda made it sound instructional lol

also those were very good examples

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
1. Someone told me once (I think Kira-) to DI behind sheik for dthrow. I don't know how often that applies, but that's what I've done since then. I find DIing in front of her gets me slapped in the face pretty much every time. Not so with DIing back

2. When dthrowing sheik, a better thing to do is to predict where/how/if she's going to tech and hit her with a tilt or smash, rather than just trying to punch her after the dthrow (which works on not-so-good sheiks). Tavo7 showed me how sheik can pretty much get away from dthrow fsmash pretty much every time (i believe)

I dunno how many of you are familiar with either of those sheiks lol
tavo is super old school though
also he trained hugssss

Rat

Smash Lord
i honestly don't know.

When I play Kel's shiek it happens ALL the time. I try not to Ftilt against his shiek.

zDuck

Smash Journeyman
I was f-tilting kels's shiek all day lol, he would shield then wave dash forward into another shield. At this point i would act confused and do something stupid like f-tilt again and get shield grabbed

Also rat, I really want to help you but you're definitely better at the sheik matchup than I am. As for against fox you made a couple little mistakes which I'm sure you saw where unknown capitalized.
When you were playing against sheik there was a point where you kept trying to come down with a down-air and unknown just up-aired you like 3 times, you should've dropped a bomb or something and tried to recover differently.
You also have my bad habit, although it's not as clear in your play, of jumping sometimes immediately after being hit when you're in strange situations.

Unknown recovered high vs. you like EVERYTIME

it's really hard to punish that as Samus but I think a homing missile right after you hit him off should knock him down a bit and lower his option count

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
you were too aggressive
you kept challenging her priority
and you didn't nair turnips when you were recovering when you should have

i think

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
That's a cute Samus
He wasn't too aggresive.
You just need to use 2 moves more: utilt and bair
They're basically your spacing moves against peach
One for the ground, one for the air
Stop shooting Hugo shots, none of them hit afterall
Agreed, nair or uair dem turnips.
Should've taken her to PS, you got stage control and the room you need, but easier to kill her than FD

Violence

Smash Lord
Yeah they are, just get better at reading people and shooting when they aren't expecting it.

It's the easiest when people are using lots of tech, sometimes you can tell when their attention has shifted to their own character.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
dthrow charge shot
utilt charge shot
dair charge shot
dtilt charge shot

Better options yo

Geist

Smash Master
Uthrow Charge shot, Utilt Charge shot, and Fair Charge shot work at specific percents too :D
Everything into charge shot!
PARTY TIME

Rat

Smash Lord
Good:
1) Your Up angled Ftilt interception was awesome. Imma try that.
2) Your UpB OoS execution was excellent!
3) Your aerial approaches worked out quite well. Nice timing with nairs and nice cancelling.

Bad:
1) It seemed you lost confidence, in the middle of game 1. Believe in the heart of the cards!
2) Poor technical execution:
-Utilt was sometimes Usmash and sometimes Jab.
-Not one Sweet Spot UpB.
3) Piss Poor Pressure
You're shield pressure game seemed to consist entirely of timing attacks. (The "AND THEN" attack.) "Imma walk at you, AND THEN ftilt." Imma sit here AND THEN dsmash.

While timing attacks are good, they rely too much on prediction. (Which isn't really a problem it's just you need to be right!)

4) Your spacing needs improvement. I'm not talking about how you space your moves, i'm talking about where you position yourself. Basically sometimes I saw you just stand there when you were in a bad spot. I cringed when u did that. I didn't like cringing like that. please stop.

Implementation!
1) Try kicking turnips with nair while recovering.
2) Try grabbing!
3) Try moving like IHSBs! (I saw you try it a couple times and miss the wavelands.)
4) Try Dsmashing like peach does on platforms!

Top Bottom