• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nattorei Roasting on an Open Fire [Gen V Tournament] herp derp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Okay here's my thought process.

1. People who completed a match were guaranteed to move on, of course.
2. Those who did not do their match were not guaranteed to move on. Of course.

Why I chose Chibo:

1. He tried to get his match done
2. He'll ban me if I DQ him
3. He was fairly active in the thread

Why I did not chose Angel.M:

1. He / she did not post in this thread until I started round 2 early
2. He's CRASHiC's alt
3. Putting him or her in loser's would force someone to take a bye. Which is unpleasant.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Have we ever had a single tournament go smoothly?
the mono tourney went great

2. Those who did not do their match were not guaranteed to move on. Of course.

Why I chose Chibo:

1. He / she did not post in this thread until I started round 2 early
2. He's CRASHiC's alt
3. Putting him or her in loser's would force someone to take a bye. Which is unpleasant.
there's going to be byes regardless, and doing an actual bracket will really help with managing them. if you had started with a 16 person cap it would be a lot more managable. this is why i suggested a bracket. you can still make one actually.

angel is not crashic's alt. i know who angel is personally, i can attest to him not being crashic.

there's no rule that you should be active in the thread, angel knew about the tourney and was trying to get his match done, his situation is no different than mine.

just have him face me, since neither of our first round matches played. that would be the simplest solution by far. in case you want a bracket (which will really help things):

This follows the winner bracket of your last post of stuff, but it's impossible to do the losers bracket as you originally said. Believe me, follow this. It will make everything a million times easier. The way you are doing the tournament now makes absolutely no sense.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Refresh the page, I updated the image. I forgot that Circa and The Real Gamer played

IceArrow and Zef are on there because they were signed up, I just had them lose their first round. I can make a version of the bracket without them on at all

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
You can do this then, with Ice Arrow and Zef removed

I would even out the byes more evenly, but that's not possible with all of the matches that have already played

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm sure that bracket that is half byes is a better idea than mine.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I'm sure that bracket that is half byes is a better idea than mine.
according to your idea

Winner's Bracket:

UltiMario vs. Moozle
Silentverse vs. Gates
Bye: Circa

Loser's Bracket:

Fuelbi vs. ChiboSempai
kirbyraeg vs. Wrath`
Terywj vs. The Real Gamer

Deadline: Tuesday, December 14th, at 10:00 PM GMT -6, or 11:00 PM GMT -5, or 4:00 AM GMT 0.
you put me in the losers bracket for my opponent being absent

kicked angel out despite being here and not getting a hold of his opponent

you had a bye vs bye in the first round

going to have byes in losers round 2 and winners round 2?

your just randomly picking people out of a hat and kicking people out or into losers for no apparent reason

and even following your plan, why the hell wouldn't i play circa? you're kicking me into the losers bracket for my opponent not being here while you give someone a bye in winners for no reason.

and half byes? you did a 14 person cap sign up. brackets work by powers of 2. it's your fault for not doing 16 people right from the get go. so that's 2 byes off the bat. then 2 ppl being inactive and dropping out becoming byes isn't my problem, or yours
and those byes could be fixed by filling in replacements (isnt riddle a replacement?) or by moving some to the top half of the bracket, but that cant be done since they already played their matches

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
how do you have a winners bracket, losers bracket, and round robin all in one thing -_-

and where are the losers of round 2 winners going to go? circa vs bye, so bye is going into losers? so after your losers round robin someone is going to have a bye...

this is making no sense

and why would you put me into losers? i was here, u know i have been, im subscribed to this thread, trying to get a hold of my opponent. he didnt answer. so im in losers? wtf?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
how do you have a winners bracket, losers bracket, and round robin all in one thing -_-

and where are the losers of round 2 winners going to go? circa vs bye, so bye is going into losers? so after your losers round robin someone is going to have a bye...

this is making no sense
To be honest, I didn't actually look at what the loser's bracket will look like, I just inferred from your posts. If there's three people, round robin. Otherwise, regularness.

and why would you put me into losers? i was here, u know i have been, im subscribed to this thread, trying to get a hold of my opponent. he didnt answer. so im in losers? wtf?
So I should award a win to people for not doing anything? You should be glad I'm not disqualifying you.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
you're awarding a win to circa by giving him a bye (aka doing nothing) when i could be playing him instead

wtf my opponent didnt show up and i tried to contact him
i first tried to contact him in this thread, no response
he had no aim contact n stuff on his profile
so a couple of days ago i posted on his profile - http://www.smashboards.com/converse.php?u=166624&u2=72031

why should i be punished for him not replying to me at all or checking this thread?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
you're awarding a win to circa by giving him a bye (aka doing nothing) when i could be playing him instead
And then awarding Fuelbi a win by giving him a bye (aka doing nothing)? Unless you want to play them both, I bet that's like a super advanced tournament organizing technique that I'm too much of a noob to know about.
wtf my opponent didnt show up and i tried to contact him
i first tried to contact him in this thread, no response
he had no aim contact n stuff on his profile
so a couple of days ago i posted on his profile - http://www.smashboards.com/converse.php?u=166624&u2=72031

why should i be punished for him not replying to me at all or checking this thread?
Because I cannot reward you for him not replying.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
This round's matches have been set in stone because I posted it yesterday.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
there are going to be byes no matter what, you're trying to do a bracket with 14 people. brackets with an amount of players that aren't a power 2 means there going to be byes. believe me, I have ran a countless number of brackets.

it's not that your awarding me or whatever, you are literally punishing me. your putting be into the LOSERS bracket for not losing a match. there are a million solutions to this such as
1. have me play angel, since neither of our first round opponents showed up
2. have me play riddle, who is signed up as a replacement
3. have me play circa, so there is no winners round 2 bye

have you ever ran a bracket or tournament before? not trying to be sarcastic about this, seriously wondering, because the way you are doing it is going to be a nightmare for you

i would rather play 2 ppl than go into the losers bracket OBVIOUSLY. but why would i play fuelbi? he already lost a match?

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion

2. Those who did not do their match were not guaranteed to move on. Of course. So you're saying because my OPPONENT doesn't show I suffer for it? Wow I didn't know nott showing up for a match will cause to get someone DQ'd. Next time I play m2k in a smash tournament I just wont show up so they DQ him from the whole event.

Why I chose Chibo:

1. He / she did not post in this thread until I started round 2 early. I posted in this thread before the deadline for my round to be completed saying I could not contact my opponent. I did nothing wrong.
2. He's CRASHiC's alt I don't even know why someone would say I'm this person's alt.
3. Putting him or her in loser's would force someone to take a bye. Which is unpleasant. Taking me out the tournament puts a bye in winners and causes for an uneven bracket. This reason makes no sense at all.
Responses in the quote.

I'm being punished for doing nothing wrong. There is no legit reason for me to be DQ'd from the tournament entirely as I did NOTHING wrong. This is very unfair and makes no sense. I shouldn't be punished for OTHER people's mistakes.

M.K

Level 55
Wave?,

It is becoming very clear to me that you are slightly mistreating your "the host is always right" mindset to unfairly punish players and ultimately skew what is supposed to be a "fair chance" for each player. I've received complaints from individuals in this tournament that it is not being handled correctly.

Based on my own observations, I am going to have to agree that unfairly taking Angel out of the tournament and not properly explaining the bracket type (winners/losers, round robin, league-esque, etc) has caused unfairness and confusion.

I have two solutions that must be implemented to preserve the integrity of the tournament:

1) Adopt Chibo's bracket. Chibo's bracket is the closest to fair you'll come, and upon closer investigations, it solves the problems which started with a 14-Man Seed (which....eh, wasn't too smart).

2) Start the tournament anew with 2 Extra members. The magic numbers in these kinds of things are 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.. The 14-Man seed was the root of the problem and should have been 16 in the first place to correctly fit the players into their matches.

Please bear in mind that these players are playing for real-life valuable goods, which definitely puts this tournament at a higher echelon of importance, and should be held to a slightly higher standard than others.

If I receive more complaints, I should see it necessary to determine the tournament unfair and may be forced to end it with no prize compensation.
However, fixing the problems through one of the solutions I have provided should steer you clear of any unfortunate outcome. :)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If I receive more complaints, I should see it necessary to determine the tournament unfair and may be forced to end it with no prize compensation.
Technically speaking this could potentially be illegal. You're not part of this tourney, of which includes monetary prizes, so you really can't end it. If you don't believe me, imagine walking into a room and trashing a tourney like this IRL. You'd be downtown so quick you wouldn't have the time to say "No items, Fox only, Final Destination".

Technically speaking, that also means Wave can't just kick someone out unless they were breaking the rules for the precisely same reasons.

It appears we are at an impass....-ish?...not really-ish....thing?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Here's my solution.

1. DQ everyone who didn't play in round one.
2. Everyone else play your ****ing matches.
3. Tourney goes on as normal.
4. Hurry this **** up so I can get the second Ubers Cup started.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I didn't want to actually say this in the thread, but since you're forcing me to, yes, I am getting a substitute. I have two potential candidates.

M.K

Level 55
Thanks Wave, I know it's a burden, but it's the most fair thing to do for all participants involved! ^_^

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Uhhh, this like confuses this more.

1. the bracket is done in excel? use a bracket problem
2. u complain about byes but u gave tery and ultimate gamer a mega bye. seriously the winner of losers round 1 goes to losers finals?
3. ok angel isnt kicked out, but he's in losers, sort of? he didnt go anywhere in losers and kind of dissapears into nothingness
4. you have me lose to ice arrow and be in losers, but the winner of me and fuelbi go no where? meanwhile ice arrow in winners goes no where?
5. riddle is able to replace in and start in round 2 wtf?

this is literally not a bracket, this is an atrocity of random lines and tildes (~s) that make absolutely no sense. you dont even designate where losers from the winners bracket go
you've made it worse with this bracket

seriously wave, what kind of grudge do you have against me or something? im trying to help you out as much as I can here, believe me - i know tournaments. I'm the director of tournament production for the BBR, im not trying to flaunt my stuff, im just trying to show you that im qualified and offering my help to make this run as smooth as possible. this also doesnt address anything Meta Kirby said in his ultimatum post.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
0. You oh so very conveniently ignored the part where the bracket isn't even finished. Seriously Chibo, what kind of grudge do you have against me?
1. I did not see an option for overlapping lines in Tio.
2. I already said my little round robin bit.
3. What is this I don't even
4. See #1
5. Someone needs to go there.

It's been a custom in the PC to exactly not do that. As I've stated before. Multiple times.

Stopped reading at "grudge" because it's probably not relevant

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
an option? why are overlapping lines even needed?

wtf is a round robin in the middle of a bracket?

why is the winner of angel and zef riddle?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Oh yeah. Going back to the whole 14-player tournament is a bad idea idea, the PC has a history of inactivity. Even with 16 players, I'll probably get three who disappear from Smashboards for a month and two who don't post in the thread and other various levels of inactivity. Statistically speaking, it's basically impossible to go through a tournament with such a high "dropout" rate without doing weird **** like running round 1 and 2 at the same time or giving people byes.
an option? why are overlapping lines even needed?
Because you insisted on me using an actual bracket with lines and stuff after I had already randomized the players for round 2, meaning there's no way you can get both the winner's and loser's bracket to line up nicely.

wtf is a round robin in the middle of a bracket?
At the moment, that is how a three-way thing will be handled. If / when that changes, that will change.

why is the winner of angel and zef riddle?
Basically because someone has to play Circa. If you really want me to mix things up more, I could put more tildes in there and have Angel play Riddle for round 1, and then the winner play Circa. That is, if it's not too much of an inconvenience to the players.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the bracket i made was perfect and everything matched up fine (and it was made in tio)

and lol look back at the mono tourney. it was 16 players and went perfect. it actually finished. i can also fit in riddle if u want

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
the bracket i made was perfect and everything matched up fine (and it was made in tio)

and lol look back at the mono tourney. it was 16 players and went perfect. it actually finished. i can also fit in riddle if u want
Looking back, yeah, I probably could have put more effort in lining everything up. I'll make a new bracket (that isn't Google docs) if / when sub #2 gets back to me.

Also, mono tourney was like a forever ago. You and I both know the state of activity tournaments are in. Don't deny it.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Wave?, your posts are making me think you're insane. Why don't you just listen to Chibo's advice considering he's run national level tournaments with a hell of a lot more than 16 players

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Wave?, your posts are making me think you're insane. Why don't you just listen to Chibo's advice considering he's run national level tournaments with a hell of a lot more than 16 players
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem we have here is that there are less than 16 players, and a single bye is a pretty big deal when compared to a tournament with 8 rounds. Also, in after I took his advice

Also, Chibo, your bracket has an error in the top four lines.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
you having a 14 person event = GUARANTEED to have a bye. no way to get around it. seriously, byes arent that big a deal. almost every tournament in the history of ever has a bye. the only way to not have a bye is to have a number of entrants equal to a power of two
what error? i can fix it or w/e
if you REALLY want it to be perfect with no byes, start it over, and get 16 people. i can help u find ppl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom