• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 9: [Now Defunct]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Yep, another moveset already. I'm on a roll. But first...

@Koric
Dark Samus can have as many corrupted minions on the field as she can keep alive. It's just unlikely that you'll get more than one at a time, considering the extreme damage it takes to corrupt a player. Also, there will be a CPU level slider when you pick Dark samus that sets the level of any computer controlled minions. (I imagine the standard would be level 9 for competitive play.) Hope this helps!

Now for Megaman.EXE!

Megaman.EXE has joined the brawl!

Stats:
Size: 6/10
Weight: 5/10
Range: 7/10
Priority: 4/10
Recovery: 4/10
Falling speed: 3/10
Power: 4/10
Aerial movement: 6/10
Traction: 5/10
Attack speed: 6/10
Movement: 7/10
Jumps: 6/10
Crouch: 5/10
Crawl: N/A

Megaman.EXE doesn't have exceptional stats in any regard. His attacks aren't particularly fast, or particularly strong, he doesn't have a great recovery, his air game is average, and on it goes.

Specials:

Neutral B: Buster
Megaman's primary camping tool: Pressing the B button will fire small shots similar to Fox's blaster, each doing 1% damage but no flinching. Lag is very low, and as these travel fast (Pikachu's running speed), it is an easily spammed move.

Up B: Step sword
Megaman teleports upwards the length of Samus's screw attack, and does a slash similar to Marth's Up-air. It does 10% damage with good knockback, and lag is low. Of course, after you use it you're in helpless, so don't miss.

Side B: Ice seed
Megaman tosses a light blue circular projectile in an arc, landing 3 stage builder blocks ahead of him. The beginning lag is okay, but the end lag is horrible. Upon landing, it covers a 3 stage builder block area (centered at the impact point) with ice. If any edges are included in this area, they are removed while the ice is active. The projectile itself is fragile, and will be destroyed upon hitting an attack/enemy. It does a pathetic 1% with no knockback or hitstun, and is the size of a deku nut. Obviously, the main point of this is to cover some of the stage with ice. The terrain will change back to normal 20 seconds after originally being iced.

Down B: Rockcube
Megaman gestures in front of him, causing a solid cube of rock to appear. The cube has 30% HP and is the size of a stage builder block. Lag is above average on each end. If someone is standing where the object will appear, they will just end up standing on top of the object as it comes out of... somewhere. Additionally, only one object can be onstage at a time. Summoning another one will destroy the first one placed. If the cube falls on top of an enemy for any reason(usually because of being summoned in midair), it will shatter, but they will take damage equal to the cube's HP and be pitfalled.

Jab, Tilts, and Smashes

Jab: Air Shot
An interesting move, Megaman shoots an airshot from his arm cannon, doing 2% damage and one stagebuilder block's worth of knockback. (This is constant regardless of damage.) The projectile travels at the speed of fox's blaster bolts, and will travel until it hits something. What makes this move interesting is that if the opponent is standing on ice, they will be sent moving back at the rate of pikachu's run (WHILE still in hitstun) until the end of the ice. As if that weren't good enough, you can push your rock cube around with this as well just as if they were an enemy! If the rock cube collides with an enemy while moving, the object will be destroyed, BUT the enemy will take damage equal to the object's remaining HP and high knockback! Beginning lag is slow, but end lag is average to prevent spamming.

Front tilt: Pulsar
Megaman shoots a little sonic wave out in front of him, which travels at the speed of Mario's run and does 9% damage with low knockback. Lag is average on each end. HOWEVER, if it hits your rockcube (or any other object aside from the stage) instead of an enemy, it will expand into a circular shockwave around the object (with a 1.5 stage builder block radius), which does 11% damage and stuns the enemy. Use this instead of the air shot if the opponent likes to jump over your rockcube barrier. However, keep in mind that you can stun yourself with this attack as well, so don't stand too close when you use it.

Up Tilt: Atk +10
Megaman stands still momentarily, concentrating... and then does a fist pump and returns to normal. What he did was apply an attack+ battlechip to himself, meaning your next attack will do 1% extra damage per hit. Sound useless right? Wrong. Wait until the smashes, you'll see the applications shortly. By the way, this move can be repeated to gain a larger bonus, and the lag is fairly short. However, make sure the opponent is nowhere near if you try this, because you're completely vulnerable during the move.

Down Tilt: Panel crack
Megaman swings a pick in front of him, doing 6% damage and low knockback. More interestingly, this move leaves a hidden pitfall if he doesn't hit anything. However, he can only have one hidden pitfall on the stage at a time. Lag is below average, range is similar to marth's jab.

Front Smash: Drillarm
Megaman's arm turns into a drill, and he thrusts it in front of him with low starting lag. Each hit does 4% damage (uncharged, up to 6% charged), with slight forwards knockback, and the last hit has excellent knockback. However, the move lasts for five hits (about a second), and the knockback is strong enough that done normally you'll only get 1-2 hits on the opponent before they're out of range. However, do it against a wall (or one of your down B obstacles...:awesome:), and you can get every hit, for up to 20% damage uncharged! The move has good range (2 stage builder blocks in front of megaman) and low end lag, but if you whiff you'll get punished hard, as the move itself lasts a long time.

Up Smash: SuperVulcan
Megaman swings his arms upwards, transforming them into machine guns as he does so, and then fires rapidly, for 12 shots. (The bullets travel at the speed of pika's dash until they hit something) The initial swing does 3% with upwards knockback and has super armor, and each bullet does 1% uncharged to 3% charged and minimal knockback. THIS is where you apply the U-tilt for maximum effect, as it nearly doubles your damage output. Also, this move is excellent for edgeguarding when you remove the ledge via Ice seed. Then the opponent has no choice but to go through you and your wall of bullets. Lag is below average on each end, but again: The move lasts long enough that whiffing will get you punished HARD.

Down Smash: Shockwave
Megaman swings a pick in front of him (again), but this time produces a shockwave instead of a pitfall. The pick swing does 6% damage, and the shockwave does 6% damage (uncharged, up to 12% charged). The shockwave travels at the speed of pika's run uncharged, and sonic's run charged, and will go through enemies/the rockcube. This is a good option for camping behind your rockcube, but keep in mind your barrier won't last long if you spam it. Lag is good on both ends.

Dash attack: Teleport
Megaman does one of those patented teleports he uses so often in the battle network games, appearing 1.5 stage builder blocks ahead of where he did the move. There is little lag, and no damage or knockback on this move. It's best used for retreating behind your rockcube, or perhaps sneaking past an enemy.

Grab: Rope1
Megaman makes a pose (shown below, it's the second one from the left), and if there is a grounded enemy within a stage builder block of him, vines sprout out of the ground and grab the enemy. The beginning lag isn't bad, but the end lag is awful.

Megaman has no throws. If he grabs the enemy with this, the enemy takes 5% damage from the squeezing of the vines (over a second), and is then released. HOWEVER, Megaman comes out of the end lag shortly before the enemy is released. This won't be enough time to set up an elaborate trap, but you do get a tech chase.

Aerials:

N-air: Tornado
Megaman shoots a tornado out of his arm cannon the size of Kirby, doing 8 hits of 1% with low knockback before dissolving. Additionally, the tornado sucks in nearby enemies, and keeps them inside the funnel until it disintegrates. The tornado travels at the speed of Ganon's walk, and will move 3 stage builder blocks before dissolving. Finally, the move is fairly quick to come out, but has some end lag attached.

F-air: Cross shield
A dominerd virus (blue one, see picture below) appears in front of Megaman. If get hits by an attack during the quarter-second it's out, it launches forwards from megaman at the speed of pika's run, doing 15% should it strike someone. Beginning lag is average, but the end lag is bad, so you have to predict your opponent with this.

B-air: Wind racket
A fairly simple move, Megaman swings what appears to be a tennis racket behind him. It does 10% damage with good knockback, and range similar to Marth's B-air. Additionally, you can move the rockcube with this similar to the jab, causing it to travel 2 stage builder blocks before stopping. However, jab is generally preferable for this, as a few B-airs will destroy your barrier. The move has average lag on both ends.

U-air: Minibomb
Megaman tosses a minibomb the size of a deku nut straight up. The bomb will go 2 stage builder blocks up into the air (initially traveling at the speed of ganon's walk), before coming back down due to gravity. It does 5% with okay horizontal knockback. Lag is good on both ends.

D-air: Also a Minibomb!
Yeah, so I ran out of ideas. Hey, it's better than another random flipkick, right? RIGHT?!?

Same thing as the U-air, except he tosses it down instead of up. It's great to mix these two aerials up for edgeguarding the opponent.

Situationals:

Get up attack:
Megaman sweeps a leg out on either side, then gets up. 4% each hit, bad lag, not really worth it.

Ledge attack:
Megaman clambers up onto the ledge, punching out as he does so. 5% damage, bad lag, again, not worth it.

Final Smash: Balance
The game pauses, and lightning bolts come down from the top of the screen, taking away half of each player's remaining health. Yes, I know you're wondering how that works in Brawl, and here's how:

Using new quantum technology, the game looks into the future to determine the player's eventual KO percentage, and uses that!

*dead silence*

Yes, I'm joking. Okay, for real this time:

Real Final Smash: Master Style
This is a little hard to explain, so why don't I just show you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y225lqs0wg
(Fast forward to 2:53 of the video)

Just like in the video, Megaman freezes time and then splits into three miniature copies, which teleport around the stage, doing 20 different attacks of 10% each, finishing with a full screen explosion that has great knockback. (This means it will do 200% and probably a KO to a single opponent, but will be somewhat less effective in a FFA)

Extras:

Up Taunt:
Megaman holds his arm cannon close to his face, and looks closely at it, before returning to normal.

Side Taunt:
Megaman turns towards the screen, and shoots several megabuster blasts towards the camera.

Down Taunt:
Megaman turns towards the camera and yells out "Hey Lan, put some navichips in my folder next time!"

Victory pose #1:
Megaman does a fist pump, saying "Good job Lan!"

Victory pose #2:
Megaman stands still, and then jacks out, disappearing in a display of lights.

Victory pose #3:
A mettaur virus tries sneaking up on Megaman from behind, but he turns around and blasts it with a cannon.

Defeat pose:
He just claps like everybody else.

Playstyle:
Just like in the games, the key to Megaman's victory is combos, and most of his combos center around the down special. Using a rockcube as a barrier, Megaman can use the downsmash to camp, so long as he replaces his barrier periodically. This forces his opponent to approach.

Ground approaches are nigh-impossible, as air-shot(Jab)/Wind racket(B-air) + rockcube = PAIN, particularly when combined with an iceseed (B-side).

Air approaches also have trouble, as Megaman can wall behind his cube with Super vulcan (Up smash), minibombs (U-air), and Cross shields(F-air).

Even when the opponent is inside, Megaman can cause trouble. The hidden pitfall from Panel out (D-tilt) is a huge pain for opponents, and Air shot (Jab) can easily push them into it. Once pitfalled, they are almost guaranteed to get combo'd, either by a Drillarm(F-smash) against the Rockcube, or a Atk +10/ Super Vulcan (U-tilt/U-smash) double-team.

Gimping is another area Megaman does well in. The first step is to use Iceseed (B-side) to remove the ledge. Once that's done, you have limitless tactics at your disposal! Minibombs (U-air/D-air) are an easy and safe tactic for some free damage, Wind racket or tornado (B-air, N-air) can knock them even further out towards the edge, and if you feel like being flashy, sometimes an air-shot/ Rockcube combo (Jab/B-down) can work as a spectacular (not to mention embarrassing) gimp!

When it comes to non-gimp killing, Megaman's main weapon is really the rockcube. Get them up to kill percentage (which doesn't take too much) with defensive play and combos, plus the megabuster (neutral B) is nice for free damage in between approaches. Ice seed (B-side) is good for adding range, and then just jab your rock cube right into them. Or, catch them in a Drill-arm(F-smash) against the rockcube, as the last hit has excellent knockback as well. Or, catch them in a pitfall with Panel out (D-tilt), THEN let them have it with the cube.

However, Megaman's main problem is that all his tactics require setup, and therefore time. His recovery is average, and he can easily be gimped himself. Worse, his damage racking, defense, and offense is all directly tied to his rock cube, which needs time to be created. Constant pressure will really frustrate any Megaman.EXE player.

Thankfully, Megaman has a few tactics he can still use when his rockcube is down. Air shot (Jab) is quick and pushes the foe back some, when combined with Ice seed it will allow Megaman plenty of time to recreate his defense. Rope(Grab) is good for foes expecting that, and can easily be followed up with a jab! Also, the F-air and B-air can both send the opponent flying, and reset the situation. However, make no mistake: Without his setup, Megaman is a much more vulnerable character, and it will be difficult to get back into control.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
MegaMan.EXE

I'm a huge Battle Network fan, so it's nice to see a newcomer that's a fan of the series too.

It is nice to see some improvements here in MegaMan.EXE, notably how Smashes work with Attack +10 or how you want to use Rockcube to set up certain moves and ideas. In fact, it helped me get a few ideas for a DrillMan.EXE moveset I had planned. However, there's also a big problem that MegaMan.EXE has.

A lot of the moves that MegaMan.EXE has seem to be a tad... random. While some of the Battlechips seem mostly normal; Stepsword, Rockcube, Panel Crack, Supervulcan... a few of them are rather unusual. Ice Seed is by far the worst offender, though CrashShield, Rope, Pulsar are also problems.

This is what we tend to call in Make Your Move "Pokemon Syndrome". Pokemon Syndrome is named after Pokemon movesets that would have seemingly random moves tacked on just because they learned it through one means or another. Just because Infernape gets Grass Knot as a TM doesn't mean it belongs on a moveset.

For the same reason, while Mega Man certainly can use battlechips like Ice Seed, they aren't the kind of definitive chips that you'd expect MegaMan.EXE to use.

Attack +10 has a similar problem because, although it is a chip that MegaMan.EXE uses in every game, putting it in as a tilt is rather awkward, as it doesn't do any damage.

Those weaknesses aside, there are some nice playstyle ideas in this moveset. I reccomend you focus on building up how in character your sets are, avoid falling into the Pokemon Syndrome trap, and make more sets, improving on those aspects.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
OMG Lol at emergency's post.

Aradia Megido
Is it weird that I think she's cute? Even as a robot frog troll thingy.

Um, onto the moveset! I think Music Box Time Machine is really creative; powerful, but it has a very steep cost if used wrong. Trollekinesis is interesting, and gives Aradia some decent control over her opponents. Psych0 Pch00000 (how do you pronounce that?) is cool, as it has multiple uses depending on your position. De-Possession, like the Neutral B, is cool, but risky.

I like the description of Aradia's standards. You're good at putting an image in people's head. I really liked how each of her standards and smashes did other things besides deal damage. And I don't agree when you say that Aradia's Dair is generic; it seems pretty unique to me.

You are very creative. You gave pretty much every move a special little quirk, be it a simple pump followed by a cool-down, or a stage changer, or a shockwave that can become a suicidal robosplosion if you hold the button down. It's very interesting, but as it's been said before, without a playstyle section, I don't see many ways that these moves can interact. They don't have to always react perfectly, but there should be some unifying thing, something that ties the whole moveset together. It could be a special mechanic, a certain special, anything. This "tie" will give your characters a focus, which can range from being a long-range camper, to a close-range speedster, to anyway in between or otherwise.

If you need an example of what I mean by "tie," look at the first moveset of this contest, Bowser Jr. Sure, some of his moves may seem like they have little to do with the rest of the set, like his Fireball. But for the most part, every move has some sort of interaction with the paint, which is the connecting factor that brings the set together and gives it a direction. Some set/spread paint, some are good for forcing foes into the paint (The previously mentioned Fireball does this to some degree), and some use the paint to attack the foe from a distance. It's a good moveset that revolves around that one central thing, that "tie": Paint.

...I just realized how much I typed right there. Heheh, didn't mean to go overboard. I tend to get very long-winded when I'm describing something. Anyway, don't take those last two paragraphs as "Omg ur set sucks wheres the playstyle?" I really did enjoy the set, and it's actually got me interested in Homestuck (Obviously Aradia would be my current favorite character, she really is so cute.) Like I said, you're very creative, and have plenty of interesting ideas, but there needs to be something that brings all of these creative ideas together, and the best thing for that would be a playstyle section. Great job on the set, and I hope to see more from you!

Dang, only one comment today. Not my best day.

On a completely unrelated note, if anybody is looking for a partner, I'd be willing to participate in a joint moveset with pretty much anyone here. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since I've been thinking about doing one for awhile, but Idk who would want to do a joint set with me.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'm seeing that Mr. Marston isn't getting a lot of comments.

So, Mr.Marston, a fist fighting, rancher gunslinger man. Overall it's a pretty good set, and you managed to make a character known for his gun skills not boil down into "SPAM B, INSTA WIN".

Now onto the set. Your choice for the Mauser pistol seems pretty reasonable, and seems reasonable enough. My only beef with the move is the choice of the pistol its self (nitpicking here lol), as the Schofield Revolver would of made more sense with the 6 shots and mid clip loading, as the Mauser has 15 shots in the game.

While the move idea's are solid, I'm not so sure about the damage percentages. I get the feeling that Marston is underpowered, but I guess the firepower he could dish out makes up for that. Dead Eye could be more stronger, as it is a final smash, should kill them instantly.

The organization is disorientating at best, and the colors do not mesh as well as you most likely hoped to. Seeing how important lock on is, it should of been the first special in the list. It was kinda confusing when the D-tilt was alone with the Lasso, but I can see your reasoning. But I'm sure you'll improve it in the future.

Appreciate you putting in a playstyle (something somewhat rare for a newcomer to put in his first set), though I feel like half of the playstyle was in the descriptions for the moves. Of course, these are minor nitpicks, so you can take this advice with a grain of salt if you want to.

Looking forward to your future sets Pikmin

Now onto the Grey Knight. The grunts of Castle Crashers (amazing game, buy it)

At first I was worried that Grey Knight was using *gasp* actual magic, and be OoC, since he can't use "real" magic in the game. But then reading more into it, it's very fitting with the hit 'n' run tactics that are employed with CC's allied AI. THEN reading more into it, the bush became more awesome, with it interacting with a lot of moves, then those interactions interacting with more moves. Very well thought out, and nicely detailed.

Can't say any more about this set apart from needing more color, but even the shade of green that you chosen compliments the grey nicely.

Can't wait to see more sets from you. Looking forward to them.

AND I'm most likely done for another 2 days. I'll most likely pick up activity once I finish school for the term.

Now if you excuse me, time to go study the wondrous properties of sand.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Megaman.EXE
It's nice to see another set from you so quickly, Nicholas(Can I call you Nick?), and especially such an improvement over Dark Samus. I've never played the series this Megaman comes from, so I'll try my best...
The playstyle you made for the character is quite good, a Trap/Combo character is quite interesting. I especially like how you force the opponent into approaching in the air, exactly where you want him/her/it. Its a good moveset from you, Nick. I hope you continue contributing!

Oh, and ALMOST TWENTIETH MOVESET WOO!
One week, and we've alrady blown MYM8 WAAAAY out of the water! One more, guys!

Smady

Smash Master
I most certainly have more comments underway, but I figured it would be fair to post the first few now rather than force the submitters to wait any longer.

Bowser Jr. is surely one of the best first sets we've ever had the joy to welcome in Make Your Move – there's plenty to celebrate with this remix, and it rectifies every complaint had for the original. Bowser Jr. no longer feels out-of-character, nor does he feel overly-reliant on props. There's little to complain about in terms of his breaching beyond what we'd appreciate from such an iconic figure: you don't go to the 'Sunshine stable all that often, but you do recall some parts of it such as with the Stu's; mostly, you are focused on effects benefited by the paintbrush, the defining feature of this moveset.

The stage-altering mechanic is by far the best of its kind in Make Your Move 9 thus far, being much more intuitive than my own Muk. I'm one who considers the best ideas to usually be the simplest, and the idea to but drag the brush – voiding only the moves transposable with the brush, only the brush – is quite genius. There aren't many moves that don't use the brush, creating a completely unique playstyle in of itself with only a couple of mixed concepts. You're vulnerable while spreading your goop, but in the process making yourself less vulnerable: this is the more general trap playstyle we're used to; Junior is able to further advance on this by posing the question of: “what is the foe's interaction?” This without getting caught up in complicated mechanics.

As is to be expected from a season veteran like you, the set is enjoyable as a read – far gone now are the days of you latching onto every single detail, but this is a good balance of detail and expository. The organisation is clean... not eye-catching, yet I can hardly demand that of any set. This may in fact be your best presented moveset, as it is better than just competency. One thing I felt is wrong was the balance side of things – this has already been mentioned – the grabs do seem to be very powerful. There's also something to be said about the moves concerning layers of goop, which isn't as explored as it ought to be in the down special.

In all, a highly-recommendable set and a fantastic start to what is hopefully a fruitful contest. Of course, I can't freaking wait to see what else you have in store for us, Kupa.

It isn't often in this contest anymore that I'm humbled by a newcomer set, but I was by Micaiah... I didn't expect that much going in, but the obvious effort put into this moveset is astounding for a new user. This is essentially two movesets in one – for staff and light style, an impressive feat for a first set indeed. Not only that, but you have a detailed playstyle summary with several sub-sections describing how to play as Micaiah, and I'm baffled as to how you became so well-versed in moveset making having just entered! Really big marks here for effort.

I enjoyed your knowledge of the game; I'm a fan myself, having played Radiant Dawn much of the way through and you carry of Micaiah well – a complaint I could probably level on a general level is you have some more generic attacks just using the staff or book as physical weapons; a bit out-of-character. Considering you fill every input, twice, it's fine that you had to use some attacks like that. In general, I feel the areas you could easily improve on are adapting the character and simply organising the set to make it more presentable; your use of images is pretty decent, but there does need to be some colour in there. And yes, though you do have a grasp on playstyle, you should really ask what is suitable to Micaiah, rather than what simply works as a moveset for Micaiah.

Saying that, it's hard not to be enthusiastic about such a promising newcomer as you, Gcube. I have noticed your commenting – some of the best in the contest so far, and it's, again, extremely impressive. Keep up the good work – and I'm greatly looking forward to Sanaki! :chuckle:

Thanos is a rather exciting one; I personally remember the horrendous B. B. Hood and your massive jump in quality to Jace, with a massive amount of hype gathering around Thanos as a result. Well, you've certainly met the hype in most regards – mostly in the portrayal of the character in as true a sense as possible, through the significance placed on the infinity gauntlet and advertising the character through those delightfully emotive images saddled all over the place. It is shocking to compare the writing style inherent to Thanos to B. B. Hood, or even Jace, as you've really tightened it up to the point that it's indistinguishable.

The greatest thing about the set is definitely that, “Thanos reigns;” your fascination with the character is displayed well in the translation of most moves directly from other games, placating any desire to view his smash appearance by literally showing us exactly what it looks like. However, this isn't always a good thing – I'm usually a pretty big proponent of this kind of thing, as a huge fan of Ocon's V13, but you do get a little carried way here... it's difficult to really identify, but would you even say that all of these moves taken from other games naturally play into a smash playstyle? Aside from that, it's a very solid set and while basic for flow, is a step up from Jace. Saying it's basic isn't really a complaint: it's tied into the nature of the set in using so many moves from other games – it's undoubtedly faithful to the source.

Still, I come out of the set having enjoyed it a tonne and looking at you as one of the prime members of the community, though there is some wanting left. The playstyle in Thanos isn't as advanced as the top make your movers; I recommend you work on that side, as you have every other aspect down to a tee. Great work and I look forward to your next!

Ah, TWILT, always a reliable move-maker – Dante is a follow-up to Nero. You already seem to have given up on this set; there are redeeming qualities, but mostly it gets tied down in some weird design choices on your part. The organisation is [as always] great, the writing style is decent – it's the styles and multiple sections for different weapons that convolutes the set.

That doesn't make it completely worthless – you are able to fully display what Dante's all about; the use of his red portal recovery for the up special is a good example, but moreso is that you didn't think of ways to take advantage of this for a playstyle – you could do so much with a temporary platform! Though it becomes a bit much, all the styles are there, and you portray them perfectly-accurately and in the least, it's an engaging read for fans of the series. I think you need to get over the idea of basic buffs first of all – the devil trigger, for example, is simply a pure statistical boost and free flight; this would be amazing if tied into the playstyle rather than serving as the centre of it. Some of the numbers are also kind of questionable; scoring more hits than your opponents may not even be possible, making his game unreliable.

Call me a hippo for not liking the flow all that much either. You only have a couple of paragraphs there talking about it, where you speak about the combo system and style changes mostly, along with the weapons. This is simply too much to contemplate – not for your peers in the contest, but from a player perspective: this many mechanics that are independent of one another simply weigh the playstyle down to the point that it feels mystifying. However, I love your sets, and this definitely isn't as bad as you think it is; hotly anticipating the next in the TWILTHERO line.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
It isn't often in this contest anymore that I'm humbled by a newcomer set, but I was by Micaiah... I didn't expect that much going in, but the obvious effort put into this moveset is astounding for a new user. This is essentially two movesets in one – for staff and light style, an impressive feat for a first set indeed. Not only that, but you have a detailed playstyle summary with several sub-sections describing how to play as Micaiah, and I'm baffled as to how you became so well-versed in moveset making having just entered! Really big marks here for effort.
I'm glad you liked the set. I'm a little surprised I could actually write that much for a playstyle section. And to be honest, it's not entirely true to say that I just entered. I actually checked out MYM8 a bit, reading a few movesets, checking out comments and occasionally posting my own, but I never really felt confidant in posting Micaiah, since I had thought up a lot of her moveset during MYM8. But then I forgot about her, and went on with my normal life, and by the time I found her again, MYM8 was coming to a close, so I decided to save her until this contest.

I enjoyed your knowledge of the game; I'm a fan myself, having played Radiant Dawn much of the way through and you carry of Micaiah well – a complaint I could probably level on a general level is you have some more generic attacks just using the staff or book as physical weapons; a bit out-of-character. Considering you fill every input, twice, it's fine that you had to use some attacks like that. In general, I feel the areas you could easily improve on are adapting the character and simply organising the set to make it more presentable; your use of images is pretty decent, but there does need to be some colour in there. And yes, though you do have a grasp on playstyle, you should really ask what is suitable to Micaiah, rather than what simply works as a moveset for Micaiah.
See, this is something that I've been wondering about for a while. I understand that a magic user throwing a punch or using their spell book as a weapon may seem weird and OOC, but to me, it strangely works for Micaiah. You say you've played the game, so you should know that out of all of the magic users in Radiant Dawn, Micaiah actually gains good Strength as she levels up (IIRC, at the end of my first playthrough, Micaiah actually capped her Str at 22, which is pretty crazy strength for someone who doesn't even use weapons). This made me feel like it was okay for Micaiah to physically strike an opponent. Plus, I didn't want her whole moveset to be a bunch of light waving and staff...well, staves aren't offensive in FE, so I really had to improvise on that.

Also, I already have a plan on organizing my next set better.

Saying that, it's hard not to be enthusiastic about such a promising newcomer as you, Gcube. I have noticed your commenting – some of the best in the contest so far, and it's, again, extremely impressive. Keep up the good work – and I'm greatly looking forward to Sanaki! :chuckle:
Yay! Someone finally guessed it! Of course, I'm sure others have figured it out, but never felt like posting that they knew, but still. And if Micaiah's OOC-ness annoyed you, don't worry; Sanaki's moveset is much more in-character (read: no physical attacks).

Smady

Smash Master
I'm glad you liked the set. I'm a little surprised I could actually write that much for a playstyle section. And to be honest, it's not entirely true to say that I just entered. I actually checked out MYM8 a bit, reading a few movesets, checking out comments and occasionally posting my own, but I never really felt confidant in posting Micaiah, since I had thought up a lot of her moveset during MYM8. But then I forgot about her, and went on with my normal life, and by the time I found her again, MYM8 was coming to a close, so I decided to save her until this contest.
Interesting story. I personally posted a moveset near the end of MYM3, missing out on a large chunk of MYM4 and only actually settled in MYM5, so I can relate to simply forgetting about our little contest for several months and then returning out-of-the-blue. It's hard to stay away now.

See, this is something that I've been wondering about for a while. I understand that a magic user throwing a punch or using their spell book as a weapon may seem weird and OOC, but to me, it strangely works for Micaiah. You say you've played the game, so you should know that out of all of the magic users in Radiant Dawn, Micaiah actually gains good Strength as she levels up (IIRC, at the end of my first playthrough, Micaiah actually capped her Str at 22, which is pretty crazy strength for someone who doesn't even use weapons). This made me feel like it was okay for Micaiah to physically strike an opponent. Plus, I didn't want her whole moveset to be a bunch of light waving and staff...well, staves aren't offensive in FE, so I really had to improvise on that.

Also, I already have a plan on organizing my next set better.
On the hitting people, it's not that big of a deal, considering it's your first set and it's a difficult concept and it's two sets in one - I'm pretty sure in my first set, Vivi, he hit people with his staff, which was in-character, but didn't make sense from a playstyle perspective. The way Micaiah carries it off is a lot more graceful.

Remember you can always visit the MYM chatroom for moveset advice, usually peak hours are around the afternoon in America.

Yay! Someone finally guessed it! Of course, I'm sure others have figured it out, but never felt like posting that they knew, but still. And if Micaiah's OOC-ness annoyed you, don't worry; Sanaki's moveset is much more in-character (read: no physical attacks).
I don't know: I had to go look it up, though I had an inkling it was Sanaki. I think you even are wearing an avatar of her, which I didn't notice until now. :glare:

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
Interesting story. I personally posted a moveset near the end of MYM3, missing out on a large chunk of MYM4 and only actually settled in MYM5, so I can relate to simply forgetting about our little contest for several months and then returning out-of-the-blue. It's hard to stay away now.
Lol I know what you mean. On more than one occasion, I've had a random moveset idea in the shower, or while eating, or as I was going to sleep.

On the hitting people, it's not that big of a deal, considering it's your first set and it's a difficult concept and it's two sets in one - I'm pretty sure in my first set, Vivi, he hit people with his staff, which was in-character, but didn't make sense from a playstyle perspective. The way Micaiah carries it off is a lot more graceful.

Remember you can always visit the MYM chatroom for moveset advice, usually peak hours are around the afternoon in America.
Thanks, I may head over there in my free time.

I don't know: I had to go look it up, though I had an inkling it was Sanaki. I think you even are wearing an avatar of her, which I didn't notice until now. :glare:
Lol yeah, that's Sanaki. Although my avatar is her younger Path of Radiance version. The moveset is based on her older, Radiant Dawn version. I like my avatar cuz with the lollipop, she looks really cute.

Time for some comments!

The Prince of All Cosmos

Greetings, Sire. I must say that we are honored to have the Prince with us in our Smashing Siblings. You are too kind for allowing him to participate in this contest.

Bestowing him the mighty Katamari? Your Majesty really is too generous, providing the Prince with such a wonderful item. And what a wonderful item it is! The fact that it allows the Prince to easily grab his opponents alone is almost too great of a gift for him. Yet in all of your infinite wisdom, Your Almighty-ness ensured that nobody would dare cry "Low Price!" by limiting it's ability to grab to only when the Prince is rolling it around. And the method that it grows bigger is positively brilliant. Your genius is blinding, Sire. Now, I would ask you how Your Grace managed to get the Katamari to grow bigger by absorbing mere damage percentages, but I'm certain my feeble mind would not be able to comprehend such a complexity.

Your Magnificence really is too generous. Saving the Prince with your Royal Rainbow is almost too great to believe. Yet you require that the Prince have a 400% Katamari, or else you will smite him with your Almighty-ness. Surely the Prince will be able to handle this simple task, right?

...Maybe not...

The Princes Smashing Smashes are all wonderful, Sire. Although I have to wonder what goes on in the Prince's head when he uses his Sky Smash and Earth Smash without a Katamari. Surely he must be hallucinating, or maybe just not thinking straight. I'm sure Your Magnificence would know the answer.

Yes sir, I agree that some of the Prince's Boring Moves are indeed boring. You'd think the Prince would've learned some more interesting moves from Your Almighty-ness. I guess not. Anyway, I also agree that your names for his Jab and Forward Unbalance are much better than whatever the Prince could have imagined. You really are too great at thinking up the perfect name for things, Your Majesty.

At least the Prince sorta makes up for his Boring Moves with some not-so-boring Aerials. He really does some interesting stuff with the Katamari, provided Your Grace has bestowed him with one, of course. I'm sure it's all a product of Your Excellency's tremendous teaching methods.

The Final Smash is already nice, but to grace us with Your presence during the move? You are too kind, Sire. You spoil us lowly humans with your generosity.

Thank you so much for providing the wonderful Playstyle section, Sire! It was a wonderful read, and it's clear that you understand the Prince's moveset better than any one of us could. Also, I have to say that your Presents are so great. I've always wanted to give a lumberjack's beard to Louie-Gee.

You are even allowing not just the Prince, but some of his cousins to join our Smashing Siblings too? Your kindness is too much, Your Mighty-ness. It's clear that you are more generous to them than they deserve.

Is Your Greatness familiar with a certain "MarthTrinity," by chance? Your Almighty Parting Words of Win make me think of MT, for some reason. I guess my weak brain will never understand the value of your wonderful words

And with that, I thank Your Majesty for his time, and hope that you may humble us with your magnificent presence again soon.

Electivire
This was a nice moveset. The whole thing seemed very in-character, and even though some moves seemed generic, they fit Electivire well. I really enjoyed the Motor Drive mechanic, as it's an interesting way of using his unique ability from the Pokemon games. Elecball is a very unique way of recovering and attacking.

The standards all go well with Electivire's moveset, and I'm glad that not everyone is a Fighting type move. The Final Smash isn't as well-described as the rest of the set, but it's still a cool Final Smash. The playstyle section is also done well.

I really enjoyed this set.

That's it for tonight. I'll hopefully get to Diglett and Megaman.EXE tomorrow.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Dante:
I absolutely love the consistency between this set, and your Nero set from MYM8. It makes the whole thing seem more solid and tangible when your sets show a definite 'gameplay canon' (so to speak). Everything you've done here works perfectly with Dante, the versatility and sheer depth of options in particular. Dante is a character that rewards determined play, with new branches of attack and avenues for stylish combos. And that's exactly what this moveset represents.

From the perspective of a reader, it can get a tad tedious to read through, though that's hardly an issue with the moveset itself.
But the special mechanics themselves could do with a little clarification. For example, is using a taunt to get a weapon a one-off cost?
And speaking of which, I'm still wary of having taunts being so integral to gameplay, even though the concept fits Dante so well.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
With no new sets to comment(I was hoping to do this after a series of comments), I'd like to present to you all a preview of my next set(which will hopefully be done and up in the next week): HARVEY MOISEWITSH VOLODARSKII:

GRABGAME: MAGIC BOX
With a snap of his fingers, Harvey creates a large blue cloud, about the size of a square of 4 SBB's, will appear in the center of the stage, or the closest platform to the center of the stage, after .5 seconds of start lag. The cloud stays active before disappearing after 5 seconds. Anyone caught within the cloud in that time(excluding the players Harvey) will immediatly disappear, then reappear .5 seconds later inside a Ganondorf-size box, which itself is at the very center of where the smoke cloud was. Once trapped inside, opponents must button-mash out with a resistance of twice a normal grab, and are dealt 1% damage for every .5 second they are entombed.
The Box itself has 20% health...from the outside. While the opponent is encased, Harvey is free to attack the box, as any damage dealt to it is dealt to the character trapped inside. Once the Box is broken, the opponent is dealt the knockback of the last move used on the box, and Harvey suffers only the endlag of his last move. Naturally, only one can be out at a time.

Pizzamasta

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to give you guys a quick update;

I appreciate the great comments on the Gray Knight and yes, I do know the set is gray, sorry if it looks dull. xD

I pretty much understood what you guys like in a moveset so I'll start commenting with the next movesets probably. Oh and I'm gonna start preparing a new moveset, probably Banjo and Kazooie.

@Geto : The move looks great, although maybe a bit strong depending on if it can be spammed or not on a 1vs1 for example but I wonder what the entire set will look like! Good job.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Just wanted to give you guys a quick update;

I appreciate the great comments on the Gray Knight and yes, I do know the set is gray, sorry if it looks dull. xD

I pretty much understood what you guys like in a moveset so I'll start commenting with the next movesets probably. Oh and I'm gonna start preparing a new moveset, probably Banjo and Kazooie.

@Geto : The move looks great, although maybe a bit strong depending on if it can be spammed or not on a 1vs1 for example but I wonder what the entire set will look like! Good job.

Thank you for the comment, Pizza!

Anyway, good luck with the commenting and all that, I really look forward to Banjo/Kazooie when it comes out. Keep up the good work!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
With no new sets to comment(I was hoping to do this after a series of comments), I'd like to present to you all a preview of my next set(which will hopefully be done and up in the next week): HARVEY MOISEWITSH VOLODARSKII:

GRABGAME: MAGIC BOX
With a snap of his fingers, Harvey creates a large blue cloud, about the size of a square of 4 SBB's, will appear in the center of the stage, or the closest platform to the center of the stage, after .5 seconds of start lag. The cloud stays active before disappearing after 5 seconds. Anyone caught within the cloud in that time(excluding the players Harvey) will immediatly disappear, then reappear .5 seconds later inside a Ganondorf-size box, which itself is at the very center of where the smoke cloud was. Once trapped inside, opponents must button-mash out with a resistance of twice a normal grab, and are dealt 1% damage for every .5 second they are entombed.
The Box itself has 20% health...from the outside. While the opponent is encased, Harvey is free to attack the box, as any damage dealt to it is dealt to the character trapped inside. Once the Box is broken, the opponent is dealt the knockback of the last move used on the box, and Harvey suffers only the endlag of his last move. Naturally, only one can be out at a time.
This made me curious so I typed up his whole name in Google. I then found out that he's from No More Heroes. His grab reminds me of my first set, except his is substantially different. The cloud would definitely keep enemies away from the center of the stage (does he use the middle of the stage for something perhaps?), which sounds awesome. At first I thought that the cloud was too big but then I reconsidered since it would only go 2 SBB wide, which wouldn't take up too much space. I'd kind of think that the move would suffer from a bit of imbalance since Harvey could just hide inside his cloud, and even if it vanishes he can just make another one so it makes it impossible for characters like Meta-Knight to reach him. I think that you could perhaps balance it so that Harvey has to wait for a while to create another box.

Previewing a character's main attack actually seems like a good practice. Think about it; this is the move that would be important for the character's game. If people commented and gave their ideas to important attacks it could help to set the ground for set ideas. I guess that this kind of thing could be put into the Social Group though instead.

Katapultar

Smash Lord

[COLOR="F99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="F98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="F97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="F96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="F95"]([/COLOR] Ulgamoth [COLOR="F95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="F96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="F97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="F98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="F99"])[/COLOR]

Ulgamoth is the Sun Pokemon of the 5th Gen. It's a Bug/Fire Pokemon and the pre-evolution of Meraruba. Ulgamoth's sun-like body is capable of providing both a source of light for the planet, as well as creating oceans of fire. This makes it one of the most powerful and awesome Pokemon of Unova. Ulgamoth also has it's own signature move Fire Dance, which is basically a much better version of Charge Beam.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Stats [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]

[SIZE=+1]Size: 9/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Weight: 2/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Ground Speed: 2/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Aerial Speed: 4/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Falling Speed: 8/10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Traction: 9/10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Jump Total: 4[/SIZE]

Ulgamoth is technically a light heavyweight. It is extremely bulky and awkward to maneuver, yet falls easily to enemy attacks. Ulgamoth may have 4 jumps, but they suck as much as Charizard's due to falling speed. You're definitely not going to get anywhere with acrobatics, but that doesn't mean you're not powerful.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Smashes [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]

[SIZE=+1]U-Smash - Gale[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth flaps it's wings in fury to create a hurricane around it that stretches towards the top and bottom of the screen. Depending on how long you charge the attack the Gale's width can vary from 1-4 SBBs. In action the Gale lifts every character towards the top of the screen - note that this will never KO on it's own. The rate at which it does is a inversion of the character's falling speed; in other words, the faster you fall, the slower you ascend when inside. Characters inside the Gale cannot their aerials but can use Smashes and Standards (excluding Dash Attack). Gale lasts for 1-3 minutes once made, and there is no limit to how many you can make but you cannot have 2 Gales touch each other.

Traps that enter the Gale swirl around so that they touch the edges of the Gale as they rise up. Everyone will be perfectly safe from their effects if they stay in the middle of the Gale. While traps are inside Gale they will not vanish through time. Once they reach the top of the screen, these traps are deposited somewhere random onstage with their timers reset.

A massive portion of Ulgamoth's game revolves around the use of Gale; it's technically going to be the first move you want to use right at the start of the match. As a note; because characters can only use their Standards, Specials and Smashes in Gale, it will be difficult for anybody to attack beneath themselves. Technically any character who's above another in a Gale will be at a disadvantage.

Gale can also be used as a recovery if Ulgamoth uses it at the edge of the stage.

[SIZE=+1]F-Smash - Flamethrower[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth's wings set ablaze as it aims the tips of them in one spot, shooting fire from all 6 of them. This ferocious attack spans 2 SBB, doing rapid hits of 1% in a 2-4 second duration that accumulates 30-45% with massive hitstun at the end. The attack has low lag but enemies are able to easily DI out of it and punish Ulgamoth.

Ulgamoth can use this in/on Gale to turn it into a fiery wall at the sides.

By itself, Flamethrower is a decent spacer move, though with Gale it is far more potent. Flamethrower can be used either inside or outside of a Gale, and can trap enemies wherever you aren't.

[SIZE=+1]D-Smash - Psychic[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth scatters a bizzare pink powder around it 2 SBB in front of it. This powder stays around for 13 seconds and if the enemy touches it they'll take 5% with massive hitstun and will be pushed back 1 SBB out of the powder. Only 1 batch of Psychic powder can exist at once.

In a similar manner to Flamethrower, Psychic powder can be put into Gale.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Specials [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]

[SIZE=+1]Neutral Special - Fire Dance[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth burns as it's wings start to glow a orange aura, spewing a large quantity of fire right below it. The process takes a second, but creates flames beneath it; if you're a trap/summon/AT/item user, then kiss all that goodbye. The fire reaches upwards 1.5 SBB and 1 SBB sideways, inflicting 10% that won't kill until 300% - it lasts for 10 seconds before fading. You'd think that Ulgamoth would be immune to the fire, but it's not since it's main body is not composed of fire, only it's wings. This means that you can't use this too close to the ground or you'll get hurt.

At first glance, this is a natural trap move. The thing is though, that Ulgamoth can't use it effectively enough on it's own because of it's fall speed and inability to gather enough aerial height.

If you've read Gale's secondary ability, then you'll know that Fire Dance can be used to litter the stage. Spam this move inside Gale to give enemies some hell on earth.

[SIZE=+1]Side Special - Whirlwind[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth rears it's 6 wings before fanning them forth. Anything close Ulgamoth gets blown back 2-8 SBB depending on whether it is a character/summon or a item/trap. Holding the B button will have Ulgamoth repeat the same action. If Ulgamoth doesn't want to fan it's enemies it can roll back instead.

By itself, this is a basic GTFO move. But if used with Fire Dance, you can push the fire you created forth like a bowling ball, even into Gale. Ulgamoth has other moves that make some use of Whirlwind as well.

[SIZE=+1]Up Special - Butterfly Dance[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth hovers in small circles as it gains a green aura for 1 second, becoming floaty if it's in the air. Once done, Ulgamoth gains 3 more jumps - these are different from Ulgamoth's normal jumps in that it can spam them continuously to gain momentum without being weighed down by it's falling speed. This attack can be used continuously to stack up infinite jumps.

This is Ulgamoth's main recovery tool, which is rather bothersome in that you have to use it a lot in order to be able to recover effectively. One reminder: if you try to use this attack inside Gale Ulgamoth will rise towards the screen at a faster pace because of the inverted fall = rise rule.

This is the only move that allows Ulgamoth to stall in the air. You could use it numerous times and advantage yourself with the extra jumps by attacking your foe from the air with moves such as Fire Dance. Note that if you don't want to use this move in Gale or the air, you can simply use it on the ground before/after setting up.

[SIZE=+1]Down Special - Powder Rage[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth shakes as it scatters a blood-red powder 2 SBB-sized in front of it. The move acts as a charge-type attack that Ulgamoth can cancel out of and Roll Dodge to safety. Foes who touch the powder end up inhaling the lot and take 7% every second in frustration. This effect can only remove the effect by successfully damaging Ulgamoth with a move that surpasses Flinch Resistance, which heals ALL of the foe's health. This effect cannot stack.

This pesky move is definite for forcing enemies to approach. You can easily attack the enemy with it by using Whirlwind, or toss it around in Gale in the same manner as Fire Dance. Think of it's use as a 'gamble', in that you afflict the enemy with Powder Rage. If you can successfully prevent the enemy from attacking you while you set-up, you can freely land a KO move on them. Otherwise you'll have to deal with a healthy enemy. Think of it this way though; if you can stall against a enemy who's damage is consistently rising, they'll have to deal with the worry of being KOed early.

One more thing: if you SOMEHOW get the enemy to 999%, you should try using Ulgamoth's Pummel on the enemy. It's annoying as hell.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Standards [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]

[SIZE=+1]Standard - Heat Wave[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth flaps it's fiery wings forth to spit fire forth. This does a minor 4% with some GTFO flinch. You can hold A to have Ulgamoth continue the attack, which builds heat up in front of it. Once you release the A button Ulgamoth will spread it's wings out to create a small blast that shields Ulgamoth from minor frontal damage. The blast does 7-16% killing at 180-100% depending on how long you hold the attack for.

This move works as a simple GTFO move in dire situations. Because it can be charged the move can be of fair warning to those who try to attack Ulgamoth head on.

[SIZE=+1]Dash Attack - Flare Drop[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth flashes red as it drops a flame from it's wings, having invincibility frames as it does so. This fire stays in place for 4 seconds, doing up to 5 hits of 1% every second with good hitstun. This move has no lag but only 1 trap can be out at once.

Ulgamoth's Dash Attack is different in that it's actually a trap...that hits behind Ulgamoth. Since it can only be used on the ground, it's designed to throw off anyone who tries to pursue Ulgamoth. It's also a makeshift spotdodge which can be used to dodge pesky projectiles that try to pursue you, especially if the enemy's Powder Rage afflicted.

[SIZE=+1]F-tilt - Overheat[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth forces it's fire forth in order to superheat the area in front of it. This takes 1.2 seconds but affects 2.3 SBBs in front of it, doing 18% killing at 140%.

This move allows Ulgamoth to KO the enemies with a simple move. It's kind of like a certain unuseable U-tilt in Brawl but has high range to make it work. Overheat is not the kind of move Ulgamoth would want to use when it's got Endure on.

[SIZE=+1]U-tilt - Protect[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth hunches over, bringing it's wings towards it like a shield. Fire emanates from it, doing up to 12 hits of 1% to anyone directly touching the wings for the 1 second Ulgamoth spends protecting itself. Any damage dealt to Ulgamoth's hunched back during this time is negated.

Ulgamoth can use this move as a shelter if it wants to protect itself from it's own fire that rains down. This move is also a good way to use the duration of Endure since it'll protect Ulgamoth's upper body.

[SIZE=+1]D-tilt - Insect Opposition[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth's crouch has it lie on it's frontside. It opposes the enemy by wriggling like an upside-down turtle. This move is dead quick; it hits on both sides of Ulgamoth, doing 2% with minor flinch for 3 hits in the same duration as something like Mario's D-tilt.

Seeing as how you can use Standards in the air, you'd think Ulgamoth's D-tilt would allow it to attack enemies below, but instead it has the same disadvantage as the foe. This move isn't really anything special, though it's capable of protecting Ulgamoth's hurtboxes. To be honest there really isn't much a crouching moth can do.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Aerials [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]

[SIZE=+1]N-air - Nitro Charge[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth begins rolling rapidly about before it becomes engulfed in a large ball of fire. It spends 2.5 seconds in this form, doing 20% that kills at 100% to anyone struck. The attack also has a 'Flash Fire' effect that allows Ulgamoth to completely all fire attacks, them powering up Ulgamoth's Nitro Charge by 1.5X for each attack. The attack continues even if Ulgamoth touches the ground, the moth suffering average end once the move does finish.

One of Ulgamoth's main methods of killing. It does not look amazing at first glance, but it becomes devastating if Ulgamoth comes into contact with it's own fire, allowing it to OHKO if it becomes strong enough. Flaming Ulgamoth can essentially OHKO anything it touches because of the Flash Fire effect, especially if you have falling fire.

[SIZE=+1]F-air - Double-Edge[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth laglessly swings it's head forth, doing 28% killing at 70% to anyone hit. Ulgamoth has heavy end lag afterwards and takes 25% killing at 100% if it hits something.

This is a powerful kill move for Ulgamoth, but hurts itself. Make sure Ulgamoth is healthy before using it.

[SIZE=+1]B-air - Bursting Flame[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth flaps it's wings backwards to create fire that travels in an arc. This does 5% with flinching to anyone hit.

Gust can be used to juggle. You could use it on enemies, or even flames or powders if you want to stall them for a set-up.

[SIZE=+1]U-air - Gust[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth flaps it's wings upwards to create a small wind. This is similar to G&W's, though enemies are blown upwards for being close to Ulgamoth.

Gust can be used to juggle. You could use it on enemies, or even flames or powders if you want to stall them for a set-up.

[SIZE=+1]D-air - Bug Buzz[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth aims it's head down while letting loose a horrifying screech. This creates a series of 5 soundwaves below Ulgamoth that stretch out in a cone shape. Enemies who come into contact with these soundwaves are automatically put into shield-break position, though the actual stun only lasts for 1 second. Bug Buzz has high start-up and end lag, and puts Ulgamoth into helpless once it's used.

Bug Buzz is the kind of move where Ulgamoth has to get some aerial distance in order to use it effectively since it has high lag - it's better if the enemy is in the air as well since Ulgamoth falls quickly. The move can be used to fight off enemies who try to pursue you in the air, shield-break enemies onto Ulgamoth's flame, or even follow up for a grab.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Grab [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]
Ulgamoth uses it's tiny arms to attempt it's grab. The range is so bad that Ulgamoth has to be touching the foe to pull it off, but in return it's grab is 5X more difficult to escape since the heat from it's wings exhausts the foe.

[SIZE=+1]Pummel - Leech Life[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth drags the victim's body over to it's head and sucks their blood. This inflicts 1% to the foe and heals 2% to Ulgamoth.

Since Ulgamoth can hold it's enemies for so long, you should be able to get 15 bites from his attack at average, which would heal Ulgamoth 30%.

[SIZE=+1]F-throw - Incinerate[/SIZE]
With no lag Ulgamoth knocks the foe away with it's fire, doing 13% killing at 150%.

A decent killing throw that can also be used to throw enemies into your gale or fiery walls. If you do the latter you can end up doing 30% to your enemy.

[SIZE=+1]B-throw - Fire Blast[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth turns around with the foe before burning them alive. Enemies take 15% and receive the fires of hell which cling onto them for 10 seconds, preventing them from doing knockback.

Gale will get rid of the fire, but it will spin around inside in the same manner as Fire Dance, acting as a weakening tool instead of a damager.

Fire Blast is cool for giving Ulgamoth some defense once in a while. A great way to place enemies into your Gale away from you, especially if they have Powder Rage on.

[SIZE=+1]U-throw - Purgatory[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth burns the foe with it's body as flames erupt from it's body which carry the foe upwards 2 SBB. The enemy has to escape these flames like a normal grab or risk giving Ulgamoth spare time.

This move doesn't do any damage but helps with stalling time.

[SIZE=+1]D-throw - Acrobat[/SIZE]
Ulgamoth flies into the air 1-3 SBB (you can choose how far you want to go with the control stick) before violently dropping the foe. This does 13% to them and anybody else in the way, and forces them into their downed state if they touch the ground. Ulgamoth stays in the air after the attack. Any damage done to Ulgamoth or the foe during the air lift is transferred into the foe.

This move can help Ulgamoth gain aerial height, especially if it wants to follow up with Gust, Fire Dance, Nitro Charge or Bug Buzz. You can also use it to dash into Fire Dance in order to burn the foe while Ulgamoth is safe.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Final Smash - Supernova [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]
Forget Pokemon moves, for Ulgamoth unleashes a brand new power. As soon as Ulgamoth claims the Smash Ball, it's body begins to burn with fury. Don't bother touching the Sun Pokemon at this time, as you'll take 5% with large hitstun. The only downside for Ulgamoth is that it takes 10% every second for having such intense power flowing through it's body.

Once you DO release the Final Smash, Ulgamoth releases all the power in it's body and scales, resulting in a catastrophic blast. It is only concentrated into 2 SBB around it, but has the power to wipe any character from the match if they're damaged by the impossibly powerful blast; no screaming, the enemy just vaporises from existence instantly. Just to be fair though, there's a very SLIGHT forewarning to the blast, though it's just as hard to dodge as any other Final Smash. Also, Ulgamoth KOs itself once it uses the attack...it can still use the Final Smash with 1 stock, though it'll lose the match unless it can take it's foe down with it. This will result in Ulgamoth winning if it took down the last foe in this way. Ulgamoth will also explode if it's damage percentage gets to 300%. Technically if Ulgamoth can reach it's foe in time it can take them down with this monstrous attack. Even touching the enemy can be very fatal.

[COLOR="C99"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"]([/COLOR] [COLOR="C95"]([/COLOR] Tips for Playing as Ulgamoth [COLOR="C95"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C96"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C97"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C98"])[/COLOR] [COLOR="C99"])[/COLOR]
To put it simply, Ulgamoth isn't really a close-ranged fighter. If you try to attack the foe in close combat you're technically asking for a death wish. You're going to have to get your way to win the match.

Ulgamoth doesn't necessarily have a bottleneck'd style of fighting. Your approach should be dependent on what kind of character you're fighting. If it's someone who requires a lot of time to set-up their game, you should rush them with a Whirlwind/Powder Rage combo that forces them to attack at the expense of their damage percentage, a method that puts pressure on them. On the other hand if you're fighting somebody who goes all-out in battle, you'll have to play defensively to bide time. Setting up a Gale and spamming Fire Dance/Powder Rage helps you set-up the stage in the fashion you want it and trash the enemies' traps at the same time.

It's important to remember that Ulgamoth is very bad at recovering from abrupt damage. Yes you have Gale, Endure and Butterfly Dance, which ALL help you recover, but they all have one thing in common: they all require Ulgamoth to set-up BEFOREHAND. When you see all this it makes Ulgamoth look like a set-up character. But that's because it IS. The key thing here is to actually make room for these attacks, and to do that you need to try and put some pressure on the foe to make them play defensive for a change. Having a stage filled with flames from Fire Dance, Powder Rage and Psychic can help achieve this goal.

So ok, we pretty much know that Ulgamoth is a fighter who can't stand pressure and needs to ward off it's enemies to make time for important matters. Let's go through some ways that Ulgamoth can KILL it's foes.

Ulgamoth's main goal is to technically spam moves such as Fire Dance, Psychic, and Powder Rage inside or outside Gale and litter the stage. This makes fighting more comfortable....it's what makes my Ulgamoth Ulgamoth so go for it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Dont have much time, but:

From what i see of Ulgamoth, the damage %'s are just ludicrous, even before Butterfly Dance and Nitro charge (which make everythign just silly)

Then, theres a bunch of odd errors like Psychic being there (why does a Moth thats Fire/Bug know this? Or rather, be represesnted as knwoing this over other things In smash?) and the fact that he DOENST EVOLVE?

Overall I think you just need to go back and tone down like, everything, and it'd be ok

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

( ( ( ( ( Ulgamoth ) ) ) ) )

Ulgamoth is the Sun Pokemon of the 5th Gen. It's a Bug/Fire Pokemon and the pre-evolution of Meraruba.
Actually, he's the evolved form of Meraruba.

Ulgamoth also has it's own signature move Fire Dance, which is basically a much better version of Charge Beam.
What? Butterfly Dance and Charge beam are nothing alike, other than they both raise Special Attack. Butterfly Dance is a better form of Calm Mind.

Then, theres a bunch of odd errors like Psychic being there (why does a Moth thats Fire/Bug know this? Or rather, be represesnted as knwoing this over other things In smash?) and the fact that he DOENST EVOLVE?
He does learn Psychic in-game.

At a glance, Ulgamoth looks pretty broken. I'll give a more in-depth review later on, though.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
KHOLDSTARE TOP FIVES
These are gonna be my own spin on the lists that MasterWarlord produced in MYM8. In these I list five movesets that I feel best represent the topic that I'm addressing. These are my opinion, and hopefully people can see why I like them. So, without further ado...
TOP 5 MASTERWARLORD SETS
MasterWarlord could be called the "Face of MYM", due to his wide influence on the contest. He, like many of today's veteran MYMers, started out in MYM3. There he promoted detail over "orgy nations" and continued his bloody campaign, fighting the forces of Roonahu and shaping MYM into what it is today. Did he improve MYM for the better, or did his focus on moveset without the frills kill off a portion of movesets, extras, for the worse? It depends on your point of view. As Rool said, "Eventually, we all MYM like Warlord."

No. 5 -- The Count [MYM6]
The Count is the definitive Warlord set, the one that defines Warlord's favorite choice of character, the heavyweight male antagonist, taken to the extreme. It is comprised of The Count, an overweight lord that is laden with grabs, and Zondark, his soldier goon. Despite not reading the series he's from (to my knowledge, only Smady and Warlord have read Beserk), the set instantly "clicks" with us as to what the guy's motives and personality is. The Count has some truly brilliant concepts in it. The two most notable ones are the fact that The Count and Zondark work wonderfully in how their two-in-one mechanic is implemented. The other is the introduction of "Special Smashes", in place of aerials. Many have used these "Special Smashes", but The Count was the first.

No. 4 -- Sloth [MYM6]
Sloth is another definitive Warlord set. After Warlord realized how superior the FMA manga was to the anime, he decided to make a set for the better Sloth. Sloth's mechanic plays true to his name, actually rewarding players for playing in-character. Before he had the idea for this mechanic he had a terrible one in which Sloth falls asleep every few seconds, which I'm glad didn't come through as it would have ruined this amazing moveset. Sloth is one of the first mainstream move interaction-heavy movesets, and it's probably the reason many more movesets to come focused more on move interactions. Remember how I said Warlord shapes the face of MYM? Nearly all of his successful movesets are revolutionary.

No 3 -- Ryuk [MYM5]
Ryuk is one of Warlord's most interesting sets. It's a moveset for a god of death from the anime/manga series Death Note. Being a god of death, wouldn't that make him extremely overpowered? Yes and no. You see, he has an item called a "Death Note". If he writes a foe's name down in it, they will die of a heart attack in forty seconds, almost always resulting in a KO. He also has plenty of KO options with his regular moveset. So why is he balanced? He can ONLY kill the foe with the Death Note without himself being smited by the upper echelon death gods. If he deals the launching blow with his regular moveset he will be struck down and lose a stock. This makes Ryuk's playstyle a matter of racking the foe's damage up without accidentally KOing them (which is quite easy) and making sure they don't evade the Death Note. Ryuk has one of the most well-tuned movesets ever, and Warlord considered it his best before he made Dark Bowser.

No 2 -- Cairne [MYM7]
Cairne is another consistent Warlord set. He introduced one of the most brilliant but simple and in-character concepts I've seen: a reincarnation timer allows him to not lose a stock when KOed if it's not charging, but he has less base stocks than the rest of the cast. Cairne's calling card is that he can alter the stage by stomping it down into a pit. While he's in a pit, Cairne has a significant upper hand on the foe, allowing him to survive much longer. Cairne's going to be aggressive when his "life insurance" is intact, but defensive and passive when it's not. The foe can't simply camp Cairne, as his pits and some other defensive moves allow him to endure the foe's projectiles. And once he has Reincarnation, he is an offensive beast. No, the foe must approach Cairne if they ever want to win. This basic idea behind Cairne makes him a very feasible character to Smash, a brilliant and competent set for MYM standards, and one of the best Warlord sets ever. Oh, did I mention other sets have liked Cairne's stage altering and used it to their own need?​

No 1 -- Dark Bowser [MYM8]
Warlord's poster child, Dark Bowser, is probably the one you saw coming to be on this spot. Dark Bowser's success was so huge that it immediately sent the spirit of loss to the other movesets minutes after it was posted, with people saying they couldn't possibly beat it. Indeed, months before the Top 50 was ever created people were calling that this one would win. And they weren't disappointed. Dark Bowser uses a cage to trap his foes and then he tortures them to death in the cage. He can send his minions at the foe, slam down on them in a spiked ball of death, swing the cage back and forth, and crawl -inside- and fight them. OF course, Warlord didn't just stop with that. Taking the Valozarg concept, he added a "Boss Moveset" where Dark Bowser can take on three fighters very easily. He also has three different Final Smashes, AND a secondary phase of the fight where foes inhaled into him can fight the Dark Star inside Bowser. All of this dizzyingly epic material landed Warlord his second first place spot, a remarkable event. If you want to read -the- Warlord set, read this one.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Dark Bowser's reputation is ridiculously inflated. I don't see how putting someone in a cage and pounding on it is such a groundbreaking idea. Sure, the Boss Mode and whatnot are all cool, but the moveset itself is eh.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Did you actually read dark bowser? I found the whole idea awesome. There's tons of stuff he can do with that cage.

Pizzamasta

Smash Rookie
Ulgamoth

Your ideas are pretty good with Gale and the many powders and field changing attacks. It always feel as if you can create many opportunities which you need to catch or you're gonna get a huge backfire. I like how most moves are linked to each other besides some basic moves. Although my main concern is the tremendously overpowered moves. Maybe you need to touch the enemy to effectively grab them but 30% healing each time, bleh. Moves like Nitro Charge could almost be as strong as a Final Smash if there's a lot of fire around, like Bowser breathing fire on you.

I really like moves that have effects on the stage as it reminds me of Gray Knight but, it seems as if on stages like Battlefield or FInal Destination it would be impossible to fight. Besides that the moveset is really good simply check back to tone down most moves a bit. Good job!

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
He can attack the cage. Woo. Fun.
Yep, you skimmed it. He can rock the cage, he can flood the cage with his many projectiles, he can shake the bottom of the cage with thwomps, he can climb inside the cage and even drag the opponent inside while doing so! As if that weren't enough, the cage serves a secondary purpose if he misses, because he can use it as a platform to camp from.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I could describe how the cage is integral and all that jazz, but I'll let the comments speak for me.

Junahu said:
I've seriously been waiting for an age for a MW set I could love unconditionally. There's all the delicious little tricks in the writing/pacing that I love. And of course, the sublime delivery of DB's core playstyle, trickling (or rather pouring) new applications and uses with each subsequent attack.
And no attack suddenly becomes useless if you try to use it outside of DB's main playstyle. That alone made me respect this set x9000
Smash Daddy said:
The cage, being mentioned first, plays a most crucial role in all of Dark Bowser’s moveset – you create many a way to get inside the cage otherwise as Bowser, alongside the foe [mostly those aerials] and it’s handled with extreme care. Bowser has enough options that he can readily pressure or simply force his opponents into his cage. This in itself is remarkable, that you were able to force this kind of mechanic into actually being viable, let alone that it’s pure brilliance when you combine the down smash, up air, climbing and all of the shenanigans involving the thwomp, minions and cage fighting. Oh yeah, and the dark clouds.
Hyper_Ridley said:
I mean, first you have that epic cage move to start us off, and then throughout the set you introduce more and more ways to interact with it and get foes into it, and the entire time the set never tripped over itself. While most moves had an extra mechanic in true Warlord fashion, they all felt intuitive, natural, and relevant. Just the sheer fact that Dark Bowser has to initiate his "grab" from mid-range instead of traditional close-range grabs completley changes the way he plays, not that his playstyle wasn't already unique; it feels very much like your own Morton Koopa Jr how he changes his playstyle based on the opponent's own strategy, but Dark Bowser doesn't need any move-alteration mechanics to do so. Granted, he's probably a bit overpowered because of that, but you know, lolbalance.
BKupa666 said:
This is the drop-off point where we see all the beauty the set has to offer. The interactions between multiple moves and the cage (especially the D-Tilt/D-Air esque moves, and dark Thwomp) are genius. The playstyle ties the set together in a perfect package; not only does it meld several potential simple playstyles together, it does so in a way that's perfectly in-character. I feel like I'm playing along in BiS as I read the set. Especially as I delve into the boss moveset.
flyinfillipino said:
Oh, the cage! I somehow forgot about it. The concept of setting up a little cage match is pretty cool. It's kind of like a torture chamber too. (Reminds me of Marik from Yu-Gi-Oh! for some reason.) Most of his attacks interact well with the cage, and some of them are pretty cool on their own as well.
KingK.Rool said:
Going onto a different tangent, you don't need me to tell you how awesome this playstyle is. Trap your opponent in a cage, then TORTURE them? That's fantastic, and there's something about the off-the-cuff way you present it that shows that you've starting rethinking the way you write your movesets. It doesn't feel like you're showing off. It feels like you've struck gold with a hell of an idea and are happy to share it. Of course, you don't care about this whole "presentation" thing...
Keep in mind these are a varying range of members, all with different views on what a "good" moveset is.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I like Dark Bowser (even SVed it), but remember that everyone has a different opinion and different tastes in movesets. Perhaps charizard2005 favors movesets that don't center so much around a single stationary element; I don't know, I can't speak for him. But Dark Bowser's probably just not his thing.

Also, this is my first post in MYM9. Woooo! When I have time, I'll read all the awesome-looking movesets that have been posted so far. Keep up the good work folks!

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Well, I've decided to take a crack at this, so here goes nothing:

Mr. Minecraft

Hailing from a randomly generated world of blocks, Mr. Minecraft (I'm using the name given to him as a playable character in Super Meat Boy) is a hardened survivalist, a creative architect, and a master of crafting tools and weapons. With an arsenal of tools and blocks capable of defeating hordes of undead, he eagerly joins the Brawl!

Size: 6/10
About as tall as Link or Peach.

Jump: 3/10
Mr. Minecraft has rather poor jumping skills, about equal with Link or Ganondorf.

Weight: 6/10
A little on the heavy side, but just barely. Comparable to Captain Falcon.

Run Speed: 4.5/10
Just a little bit sower than Mario.

Air Speed: 4.5/10
Same as run speed.

Fall Speed: 7/10
Falls decently fast, but not as fast as characters like Fox.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Snowball

Mr. Minecraft has trekked through many arctic regions before and has stockpiled many snowballs in his invertory. Pressing B causes him to throw a snowball forward at a 30˚ angle. They travel quickly in an arc that covers about half of Final Destination. Being snowballs, they only deal a pitiful 1-2% damage on impact, but they cause the opponent to flinch similar to being hit by Falco's laser. The arc that the balls travel in means that grounded opponents, especially shorter ones, won't be hit by the balls unless they are right in front of Mr. Minecraft or at the end of the arc, but the snowballs can easily threaten people on platforms or approaching from the air. They can be thrown at a rate of 3 per second.

Side Special: Water Bucket

Mr. Minecraft never goes exploring without a handy bucket of water. Pressing forward-B causes him to dump the bucket in front of him creating a stream of flowing water in that direction that travels about a third of final destination in length before stopping. If the water reaches an edge, it will flow straight down ward until it reaches solid ground or leaves the stage. The water has a strong current that pushes players in the direction it is flowing. This can serve the dual purpose of making it difficult for you opponents to reach you and speeding up the user by running with the current. it can also make it difficult for opponents recovering from directly below the ledge. The water disappears after 7 seconds, and can't be used again for another 3 seconds. Can't be used in the air.

Down Special: TNT

Sometimes Mr. Minecraft doesn't have the time to mine out that tunnel by hand, that's when he brings in the heavy artillery. Pressing down-B causes him to place a block of TNT at his feet. It will remain where placed until it is hit by any attack, then it will ignite it's 2 second fuse before exploding in a manner similar to Snake's grenades, dealing 17-20%damage with heavy knockback. Alternatively, by holding down-B, you can manually ignite the fuse as you place the block. The block is affected by gravity and will fall if placed in the air. It is also moved by the side special's water flow same as the players are. Only one TNT block may be placed at a time.

Up special: Dirt Block

Physics in Minecraft land are weird, and any explorer worth their salt has learned to abuse the hell out of them. Pressing up-B causes Mr. Minecraft to place a floating dirt block below him, giving him a place to land in mid air allowing him to regain his jumps during recovery. opponents touching the block when it first appears are dealt 4-5 % damage and weakly spiked. It can also be used in combat to allow you to use your ground moves against an opponent that you've engaged in the air. Using the move is not without its dangers though. Only one dirt block may be placed at a time, meaning that if you are knocked off of your block and off the stage, your chances of recovery are slim. In addition , the blocks are fragile and short lived, breaking after taking any damage and dissipating after 5 seconds, and after being destroyed or fading away, another block cannot be placed for 2 seconds. Finally, Mr. Minecraft has rather poor jumping skills, meaning that if you are knocked down too low, your weak jumps won't be enough to make to back to the stage. Using this move on the ground simply places the block on the ground in front of you.

Jab and Tilts

Jab: A single overhand pummel, slightly faster than Ganondorf's jab, knocks the opponent away at a 45˚ angle. 3-4% damage.

Forward Tilt: A quick horizontal swing with a stone wood-cutting ax , range similar to Meta Knight's forward tilt. Forward knockback at 20˚. 7-9% damage.

Down Tilt: Mr. Minecraft swings a stone shovel with a digging motion in front of him. Near vertical knockback. 8-10% damage.

Up Tilt: An overhead swing with a stone garden hoe. Behaves similarly to Captain Falcon's and Samus's up tilt, knocking grounded opponents upward a short distance, and knocking airborne opponents forward at a low angle. Slower than his other tilts, being comparable in speed to Link's forward tilt. 9-11% damage

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Air: Mr. Minecraft spins horizontally with a torch in hand dealing fire damage and knocking opponents away from him. Little to no lag upon landing. 8-10% damage

Forward Air: Mr. Minecraft Tosses a gravel block forward which immediately disintegrates creating a multi-hit attack with a spray of gravel. The spray has about the size and range of Charizard's forward air. 2-3% damage per hit , 5 hits total. Minimal knockback. Moderate lag upon landing during the attack, but the attack will finish regardless of when you hit the ground after starting the move.

Back Air: Mr. Minecraft Swings a wooden block behind him dealing a powerful blow and knocking the opponent at a near horizontal angle. Will K.O. around 130%. 14-16% damage. Heavy landing lag, but the lag autocancels late in the animation.

Down Air: After a noticeable wind-up, Mr. Minecraft slams a heavy cobblestone block downwards for a vicious spike. 15-18% damage. Heavy landing lag.

Up Air: Mr. Minecraft tosses a handful of redstone dust (a substance that can generate and transfer energy) upwards , covering an area similar to Zelda's up air. The dust does little damage, but an enemy caught in it is zapped by the dust's energy and stunned as if hit by Zero Suit Samus's Stun pistol and dealt 3-4% damage. The stun lasts 0.75 seconds.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Mr. Minecraft brings his trusty steel sword down in front of him in a powerful chop. This attack has about as much forward range as Link's forward smash and knocks the opponent away at a 40˚ angle. This attack has a relatively quick start up, but a large amount of ending lag. 16-22% damage uncharged, 20-26% charged. K.O.'s around 110% uncharged, 80% charged.

Down Smash: Mr. Minecraft slams his steel pick ax in front and behind himself in quick sucession. With a good bit of wind-up and end lag, this attack is best used to punish rolls and other dodges. knocks the opponent away at a 10˚ angle Deals 15-20% uncharged, and 18-24% charged. K.O.'s around 100% uncharged, 70% charged.

Up Smash: After a short wind-up, Mr. Minecraft places a cactus block above his head, dealing 14-18% damage with upward knockback to anyone touching the block when it first appears. The block then remains floating in the air, dealing damage and knockback similar to the spikes in stage builder mode. How long it stays depends on how long the smash was charged. From 5 seconds uncharged to 10 seconds fully charged. No more than two cactus blocks can be placed by a player at a time.

Dash Attack: Mr. Minecraft lunges forward and stabs with his sword, dealing 8-12% damage and knocking foes at an angle behind him.

Grab: Fishing Rod

This recreational tool can hook on to almost anything!. Mr. Minecraft has a grab range similar to that of Samus and Link, with ending lag to match. It can also Be used as tether recovery offstage. Hitting the opponent with the tether in the air deals 3-4% damage and knocks the opponent towards you as opposed to away. Useful for initiating combos.

Pummel: Mr. Minecraft just pounds on them with his blocky fist. 2-3% damage, once a second.

Forward throw: Mr. Minecraft Pulls the opponent close and punches them hard, sending them forward a short distance, perfect for getting the enemy to hit a cactus block or TNT. Deals 6-7% damage.

Backward Throw: Mr. Minecraft spins around and flings the enemy away at a 40˚ angle. deals 9-11% damage.

Down Throw: Mr. Minecraft cracks the fishing rod like a whip and slams the opponent into the ground, leaving them there prone. Deals 8-10% damage.

Up Throw: Mr. Minecraft yanks the fishing rod back flinging the opponent upward over his head. Deals 7-9% damage.

Final Smash: Upgrade

Mr. Minecraft slams down a workbench block right in front of him and furiously works at it and glows brightly for a couple of seconds. When the glow fades, we see that he has equipped a full suit of diamond armor, giving him super armor for the duration of the final smash. His attacks have all been upgraded as well, dealing twice as much damage and knockback as before, with some other added effects as well:
-His tools and weapons have been upgraded to diamond versions.
-His snow balls have been replaced with a high speed bow and arrows.
-He pours lava out of his bucket instead of water.
-His dirt block has been replaced with unbreakable obsidian blocks that can be placed as much as he likes.
-He now drops 2x2 cubes of TNT blocks that have a ridiculous blast radius.
-The cobblestone block is now obsidian.
-The wooden block is now brick.
-The torch is now a redstone torch that stuns.
-The redstone dust cover a much larger area.

The Final Smash lasts 20 seconds, at which point a chest block appears and Mr. Minecraft puts his new gear away for safe keeping.

Playstyle

Mr. Minecraft plays a delicate trap and bait game, his attacks forcing the opponent to take certain predictable actions to avoid them. In direct combat, his poor mobility puts him at a disadvantage, but when fighting on his own terms he can easily match other members of the cast move for move. The most important part of his strategy, much like playing Minecraft itself, is knowing where and when to set up a base. You can use the Dirt block to force the opponents to jump to reach you in the air, or place it on the ground and force them to either leave themselves open destroying it or jump over it into your attacks. Cactus blocks can be used as a surprise, or to block off an angle of approach. TNT forces the opponent to react quickly and leave a certain area. Water can drastically change the way that a given stage functions while it it active, and it has a myriad of different uses. These tools and more allow him to twist the opponent's options to his advantage while still being proactive and forward in his own moves, instead of simply standing still and waiting for the opponent to make their move.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Yep, you skimmed it.
Nope, I didn't.

He can rock the cage,
That is attacking the cage.

he can flood the cage with his many projectiles,
Once again, attacking the cage.

he can shake the bottom of the cage with thwomps,
He can use Thwomps to attack the cage. I don't care if he's using Thwomps or a hammer or a school bus, it is still attacking the cage.

he can climb inside the cage
Why would a DBowser player even go in the cage when he could just wail on the outside of it?

and even drag the opponent inside while doing so!
So he can then exit and attack the cage.

As if that weren't enough, the cage serves a secondary purpose if he misses, because he can use it as a platform to camp from.
That really isn't all that interesting or original, seeing as how we've had plenty of platform-wielding characters.

He's a boring character. Sure, there's that wow factor because he would be cool to play as/watch for the first few times playing as him and because it's a Warlord set, but really, he's a boring character. Extras aside, that is. Those extras are really creative and interesting, there's just an overhyped, overrated character attached to them.

Thrice

Smash Cadet
Nope, I didn't.

That is attacking the cage.

Once again, attacking the cage.

He can use Thwomps to attack the cage. I don't care if he's using Thwomps or a hammer or a school bus, it is still attacking the cage.

Why would a DBowser player even go in the cage when he could just wail on the outside of it?

So he can then exit and attack the cage.

That really isn't all that interesting or original, seeing as how we've had plenty of platform-wielding characters.

He's a boring character. Sure, there's that wow factor because he would be cool to play as/watch for the first few times playing as him and because it's a Warlord set, but really, he's a boring character. Extras aside, that is. Those extras are really creative and interesting, there's just an overhyped, overrated character attached to them.
I don't mean to be rude but...who the hell ARE you anyways? From the looks of it, a random troll/Zook, who I presume was a random troll no one cared about as well.. Well, lemme tell ya sonny, Khold, Smady, and I, we've got that covered. MYM doesn't need any more trolls, and honestly I don't approve of this sort of random nonsense. If you're going to troll do it right; say everything in a way that COULD be interpreted as you being serious when in fact nothing you say is serious and you're just mocking the entire community. At least that's how Smady does it, and he's highly regarded as the best troll in MYM.

As for Dark Bowser, of course it was overhyped. Warlord practically just decided he'd won the contest with it. I liked it, though for different reasons and not nearly as much as most other people seeing as I'm not very susceptible to the hype dog seeing as I'm not a complete ****ing ******.

Smady

Smash Master
The reason for versatility is to be able to counter other characters; Dark Bowser purposefully leaves an amount of choice up to the player so that they can adapt to an opposing playstyle.

It may not be original to create your own platforms, but being able to create platforms out of your grab - and for that grab to be the a bottleneck for the rest of the playstyle - is original. It's also done very well in Dark Bowser.

Overhyped and overrated character? Dark Bowser is a little-known final boss that doesn't have much of a fanbase at all. That's more suitable to, say, a Sephiroth or Sora moveset. What's most impressive is that Warlord adapted such a great playstyle to a character purely from one boss fight - and that's what he excels at, which is why it placed the best of all of his sets last contest.

Saying Warlord has bias is also a bit misleading. Remember that in MYM7 Cairne got voted into 10th place, was shifted by leadership [unanimous vote] to 7th and that was his only top ten placing. What Warlord gets, he works for.

Still, your interest and effort in creating an argument against the MYM8 top fifty winner is commendable.

I'd also like to congratulate LegendofLink on creating our first Minecraft set; it's full of delightful quirks native to said modern classic. Welcome to the contest.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I don't mean to be rude but...who the hell ARE you anyways? From the looks of it, a random troll/Zook, who I presume was a random troll no one cared about as well.. Well, lemme tell ya sonny, Khold, Smady, and I, we've got that covered. MYM doesn't need any more trolls, and honestly I don't approve of this sort of random nonsense. If you're going to troll do it right; say everything in a way that COULD be interpreted as you being serious when in fact nothing you say is serious and you're just mocking the entire community. At least that's how Smady does it, and he's highly regarded as the best troll in MYM.
How am I trolling? I'm just saying that I don't like a set. Yeesh, don't get your panties in a knot, man.

It's people like you that drive people away from these contests. People like you make us feel like we're on the outside looking in, like MYM is a lunch table that we can't sit at, only watch as you have fun. Critique is part of the contest. If anything, there isn't enough critical discussion about movesets. I know it's about an old character, but it's a very well-recieved character that's even a reference for newcomers. DBowser is still relevant.

Also, just noticed this:

Zook, who I presume was a random troll no one cared about as well..
Yeah you're just trolling. Nevermind the above comment.

Thanks for the welcome to MYM9 btw.

EDIT: @Smash Daddy: When I say he was over rated, I mean the set itself, not the actual character.

Smady

Smash Master
Thrice really doesn't represent the community nor the leadership; his comments are outrageous, and I'm sorry if they offend anyone, but we can hardly get him an infraction [yet].

n88

Smash Lord
@charizard2005

Wait, you're Zook with a username change, aren't you? In which case, wasn't this argument had last contest already?

At any rate, Dark Bowser is definitely a well-liked set. I loved him when I first read him, back when he was first released, but over time, the set was lessened in my eyes until I had pretty much the same opinion of him you do. Fortunately, I went back and re-read the set before voting time and remembered why I had liked it so much in the first place. It doesn't start off in a particularly impressive manner, but everything in the set builds on what was laid down before it, interacting directly or indirectly to really enhance Dark Bowser's versatility and make him more than a Grab and a Pummel. The fact that Dark Bowser can whiff his Grab and leave the cage on the stage (leaving him incapable of creating another one) alone adds a whole new dimension to his game, seeing as how he's really got to work to make sure he nabs the foe, and can't just go "lolcage" to win the match. Different foes will have different ways of combatting and avoiding the cage, hence Dark Bowser's versatility. He needs to do things differently to nab different characters.

Mind you, I'm not against you having your own opinion, and I appreciate that you're trying to critique movesets at all. Just thought I'd weigh in.

Also, like Smady says, Thrice is a troll.

EDIT:: I will edit some comments in here, because it would suck for LegendofLink to lose his entire page to an argument over a set from last contest.

Thrice

Smash Cadet
I don't lie, you know. I TOLD you I was a troll, you don't have to assume it. Gee whiz, kid. I suuure hope I didn't hurt your little baby feelings, Zookie wookie. Seriously though, you getting aaaall riled up is just what I'm going for, doncha know?

And the random babbling about how you hate the set and then listing extraordinarily generic reasons as to why you do when called out on it...yeah, that sounds just a biiit like trolling, hmm?

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, I'm not really that ****ish normally. Mainly I'm just trying to work up posts to get to the next page sos I can post MY set, and this is just the most efficient way. Sorry if I really did come off as a serious ****** and all that, I'm not actually trying to troll you or the thread. I don't really mean a damn thing I say, though not in the same pretentious ******* way Smady does it; I just joke around a lot. That's why everyone loves good ol' Thrice, ya know?

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I don't lie, you know. I TOLD you I was a troll, you don't have to assume it. Gee whiz, kid. I suuure hope I didn't hurt your little baby feelings, Zookie wookie. Seriously though, you getting aaaall riled up is just what I'm going for, doncha know?

And the random babbling about how you hate the set and then listing extraordinarily generic reasons as to why you do when called out on it...yeah, that sounds just a biiit like trolling, hmm?
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty dumb. Read my blog bro.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
Diglett

Diglett Dig! Diglett Dig! Trio Trio Trio!

I can tell that you obviously think Diglett is cute. Not that I blame you, it is pretty adorable.

From the start, I enjoy how in-character Diglett feels. The way he pretty much always stays in the ground, even to the point of making characters bend over to grab him is pretty awesome. And even though you could have just said "Lol Diglett obviously can't jump," you actually gave him a way to "jump."

The way Diglett's Specials work is pretty interesting, especially the Rollout-Dig interaction. Sand Attack-Dig is also a neat idea. Fissure makes mirror matches hilarious, as both Digletts will be trying to Fissure the other one for an easy kill.

Diglett's standards and smashes are pretty cool, and I like the interactions between the Fsmash, Usmash, and the Mole Hill. Earthquake's field-cleaner effect makes sense, as Earth is super-effective to Poison.

The grab game is, like the rest of the moveset, very in-character, but at the same time awesome. The Final Smash is really strong, but it makes sense as Diglett will have a heck of a time getting the Smash Ball

Overall, a fun moveset to read. Very unique.

Megaman.EXE
This was a very fun moveset to read. Buster is done very well, Ice Seed is interesting, even if it isn't really in-character, and Rockcube is a good set-up that has plenty of interactions with the rest of the set.

Atk+10 was really interesting, especially with the USmash. Dtilt and Dsmash are also cool in that inattentive enemies will see the pick and assume you used the Dsmash, when in fact you set a trap.

This was a pretty awesome moveset.

Thrice

Smash Cadet
Hey, ja even read the last part? I'm not being serious at all, so don't take this **** to heart, man. I'm trying to get the post count up and up and up, and everyone is being a lazy *** and not commenting, so this is really the only way. Also I don't read any such things as blogs. Other people's business doesn't interest me at all.

BTW, This is also the first time I've ever actually done this in-thread, ya know, so Smady was just kinda bull****ting his way through that one. As always.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Dark Bowser's reputation is ridiculously inflated. I don't see how putting someone in a cage and pounding on it is such a groundbreaking idea. Sure, the Boss Mode and whatnot are all cool, but the moveset itself is eh.
I like Dark Bowser (even SVed it), but remember that everyone has a different opinion and different tastes in movesets.
Oh my -GOODNESS- this. I can't believe I'm having to come into the thread to have to post on this but, really guys? We all know Dark Bowser is popular; don't pounce on someone who doesn't like it. We all have opinions, that doesn't mean the unpopular one is wrong. If Warlord wants to come in to defend his own set, he can; he's good enough with words on his own that he could by himself.

We do not need three or four people jumping on him for his opinion. I enjoy Dark Bowser too but you can't fault the guy for disliking a set. Further, if the guy doesn't like the set, I doubt explaining why he -SHOULD- like it is probably not very helpful and comes across as slightly demanding ("We all like this moveset, you should too!").

Sorry to come in and drop the srshammer here but, like I said, someone's opinion. We don't need to defend Dark Bowser like a God when his creator is more than capable and intelligent enough to do so on his own if he pleases.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
@Mr. Minecraft: So yeah, I'll just comment on this moveset before it gets washed away by an argument.

Pleased to have you around, LegendofLink! From what we have here, you seem to have a good writing style that makes your moveset very easy to read (good thing). I don't know really know anything about Minecraft, but you seem to have adapted many elements of it into Mr. Minecraft's moves. I really like the bucket of water special, it's a clever mechanic that I don't think I've seen before and it seems like it could lead into a lot of fun shenanigans. Here's a tip though; if the Special moves are important to your characters playing style (and they typically should be, that's what makes them Special!), you'd usually put them at the start of the moveset instead of the end. The rest of Mr. Minecraft's moves are pretty basic, but it seems like they'd get the job done. Don't be afraid to think outside the box for basic standard moves, though; it'll help make the whole moveset interesting!

Overall, you've got the basics down and this is a great first effort; we hope to see what else you have to bring to the table in MYM9! :bee:

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
I actually always thought that Dark Bowser's playstyle was relatively shallow because, although the cage was indeed cool, too much of it reduced down to simply using whatever moves were most effective at damaging the foe inside the cage. That said, I did very much like how it was able to be both a regular moveset, a boss moveset, and a 1-on-3 moveset with just minor changes to the basic moveset. The boss moveset's ability to separate out characters was certainly the best aspect for me.

That said, MYM8 is over, Dark Bowser won, and it's MYM9 right now. Let's all move on from that.

And welcome back Zook. I seem to remember this alt before; I hope you have another moveset to make for this contest; it's always good to have people with refreshing opinions.

That said, let's move on to look at some recently posted movesets!

Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth was one of my favorite new Pokemon for fifth gen, and I was actually considering making a moveset for him before you announced yours, Kat.

Ulgamoth seems to have some negative hype around it, but it's not as bad as it seems to be at first. Certainly, moves like Flamethrower have very high damage, but the move is easy to DI out of, so opponents won't be hit by all of it. Double Edge seems to be a bit of Pokemon Syndrome, but other than that, nothing really jumps out at me as 'completely broken'. Some percentages could use fixing, but that's not too bad.

I certainly do like how you combined Gust and Fire Dance to cover the entire stage with fire; it's not only true to character, it also gives Ulgamoth an actually unique playstyle concept where he utterly forces the foe to approach since near him is the only place that's safe! The powders on the scales added another layer of inundating the stage with hazards that was very nice.

I also like how you used the space below move descriptions to build up the playstyle of each move one by one while keeping move descriptions brief and to the point.

There certainly are a few things I'd like to see done better in this moveset though. The Forward Air, as I mentioned before, is not only kinda broken, it's also pretty out of character for him to be suddenly ramming a foe with a huge amount of power. Butterfly Dance is also a very underwhelming move, as Ulgamoth is one of the best new users of the attack, but it ends up just being... infinite jumps. That's not only questionably balanced, it's boring too.

That said, Ulgamoth certainly does have positive aspects to it, and isn't a bad set at all. I know it's become almost the Make Your Move Official Sport to pick on your movesets, but Ulgamoth is pretty fun.

Mr. Minecraft

Welcome to Make Your Move!

Mr. Minecraft is a decent first moveset, but he's rather simplistic at his core. Most of his basic moves are grabbing tools from the game and attackingw ith them, and his Specials certainly are more interesting, but they don't pull the whole set together.

I think you limited yourself too much with what you could do in the set. Minecraft is all about building gigantic fortresses and huge tunnels, but Mr. Minecraft doesn't really bring that sort of feeling into the moveset, and doesn't have any building ability beyond pulling out a single dirt clod.

There are some good ideas in here, but I hope you can improve with your next sets.

Thrice

Smash Cadet
Yeah, yeah, real funny chat guys. The instant I STOP trollin ya and get serious, ya ban me. Real intelligent of ya. Tells me just what I should be doing. Anyways, since I can't go in the chat for six or so hours now(or whenever they lift the ban because they're all trolls themselves), I figure I may as well do stuff in the thread. All the **** I said about such and what and all that that you guys are taking WAY too seriously was just me messing around. I don't know about all the other people posting and such, but I don't mean any of it at least.

Let him have his opinion; if you guys were intelligent at all you'd know I feel this way since I stood up for Kat when you were all tearing him limb from limb. But no, none of you can see through the trolling apparently. That's why I get for trying to lighten the mood.

You guys are really taking all this WAY to seriously. Let the one guy have his opinion and let the other guys defend it. If they feel the guy is unjustified in disliking the set, what's so bad about them saying that? As you said, MT, you can't discount someone's opinion because it's unpopular, but not questioning it for the same reason is just as bad. I guess what I'm trying to say is that getting angry and disappointed in people because they STICK UP FOR SOMETHING THEY LIKE is sort of...just as terrible a thing to do as getting angry at someone for not liking something everyone else does.

This whole thing shoulda never happened in the first place, and I guess my "comment" on the matter helped to keep it going or something. That wasn't my intention; my intention was to show you all how stupid you look and how pointless this is. Whatever, you'll all just account this to my trolling anyways. You do to everything I say that doesn't 100% agree with you. /rant

Oh hey, and this is the last post on the page. Can't post Erufuun now till a new one. Greeeeat.

That I am, DM. Glad to know you check these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom