• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ike Video Critique Thread

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure about tilt? I figured with shield stun+drop, Ike could probably shield/retreat(possibly with a turn-around SH Bair to punish Ftilt whiff)/roll/spotdodge. Spaced Nair shouldn't be grab-able either. >.>
Well, ftilt is just one of his options (perhaps less safer), and of course, you can't get grabbed if spaced properly. I suppose I worded that poorly, my main point was that if your nair hits MK's shield, he can punish you. Maybe not with ftilt or grab, but certainly loop OOS.

Usually when I hit MK with a Nair or get him in the air in general, I would try to make him use up as many jumps with empty hops/aerials. MK ends up with like 1 or 2 options trying to land. (lolnado) Situation doesn't happen quite often for me though. =/
The ledge is, imo, one of the best positions to put MK at. (if he doesn't have a lead of course)
Ike has range+transcendent priority on aerials to beat out MK's ledge options when he's trying to get back, especially the common ledge-drop->nado. If he shields Ike's aerials(or anything really) at the ledge, he's pushed back and the situation is reset. I can't seem to punish ledge-drop->airdodge for whatever reason. -.-
Nair is still useful in the matchup, I didn't mean to imply that it was useless (it never is). I meant that relying on it is easily disastrous and that it's important to have many mixups. Nair to pivot grab is a great move for example.

My point was that while you can benefit from popping MK up, but it's a lot harder for you to pop him up than for him to get back down.

As for MK on the ledge, I suppose it could a good situation. I'll have to look into reading MK's ledge options more, and maybe Ike has it better off in that situation that I thought. MK can nado from the ledge so quickly though, as well as air dodge buffer ftilt. He's so hard to trap.

But ya thanks for the vids Red, it was super nice to see more applications for it. I didn't even know anyone else did it, props :>

And yeah San, bthrow to dash attack should certainly be the goal, but getting a grab without it is far from useless. A couple pummels and a dthrow to possible follow ups is certainly also beneficial situation, especially if you consider PG as just a safer spotdodge (aka grab read attempt).

I'll address Bored next post since he misunderstands the concept.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
I have never been tilted or looped ever by spacing n-air or b-air. There is little time to react during these attacks, and the shield stun (unless p-shielded) is a bonus. Ike comes down fast enough to jab immediately if they want to try and run at us again. But I do agree with you that f-air is one of the worst options to use vs MK.
It sounds like you haven't played a MK who is fully aware of his shield options. If you hit his shield or are GOING to hit his shield, it's a loop. If by spacing you mean not hitting him at all and just throwing it out to bait him to run into punches repeatedly, then sure, that's a thing.

I wouldn't expect it to work consistently though, as if the MK catches on and just runs up to shield your nair, you're looped again. It's not a strategy you can base your gameplay around, not in this matchup.

And a back throw has options even at high percents? Other then dash attack, you're not going to punish MK much after the throw. Like Red say, count the jumps either way, and you'll be fine.
Again, for Nair, high risk for little reward. Harder for you, easier for him etc. You don't necessarily need to follow up much after the throw, pummels and the throw is 10%+ for a stuffed approach is certainly good enough. Not to belittle nair, but it just can't be relied on here. MK is not a character you can expect to get any prolonged combos on like Snake anyway, you pick away until you can get the kill.

Pivot grabbing is way too predictable in my opinion. Yes it can be seen as a surprise when the opponent rushes at you only for you to pivot grab, however it can become very predictable. Against speedy characters like MK or Sonic, if they are pressuring you, you may not even have time to pivot grab. Also, if you do whif the pivot grab, you are easily in for a world of hurt. You honestly think any good MK will be pivot grabbed that much? That MK was an embarrassment. Ike doesn't have the best grab range so timing is very critical to that component as well.
Predictable is fine (as long as it isn't PUNISHABLE), as it can lead to your opponent mispredicting (is that a word? rofl).

I think your misunderstanding is from not realizing how lenient the PG range is, how short the cooldown is, and how small a window of vulnerability you have to be punished.

If you whiff a pivot grab from the proper distance, it's completely safe while still being able to grab attempted approaches, as well as being able to grab the attempted followup punishes.

The MK was fine, you don't have to be a prick to try to prove a point, unless it's wrong I guess.

I didn't know MK's only approach on the ground was dash attack and grab...gee whiz. I must've missed the section on short hop aerials, spot dodging, and what not.
MK's quick dash attack and grabs are a couple of Ike's biggest problems in the MU. Find a way to help deal with them, and the MU is that much easier. Know what happens when a MK runs up and side dodges your pivot grab? You get a free jab because your CD is faster.

Also, how is a short hop aerial a ground approach?

When used properly? N-Air is unpunishable if used properly. D-air is a good killing move when used properly. F-smash works wonders when used properly. See what I did there? It's impossible to make every move applied perfectly, and there will be error. Now you can say that the risk and reward for PV is less than other moves, but I still think it's easy to read and punish.
Not really a relevant analogy, because you're basing it on the misconception that PG is easy to punish.

It's good to know we have another option, but MK can simply run and spot dodge if they want, leaving us open. Oh but wait, then that means we can sit there and jab...oh but what if they shield it? Yeah, it makes for a 50-50 game perhaps, rather then something in MK's favor when it comes to that part of the match, but you are still ignoring MK's short hop approaches. On paper, it's good, but in application, timing your pivot grabs correctly is tougher then it looks. I'll definitely look to incorporate it vs speedy characters, but if we're looking simply at damage output vs MK, jab is better.
Again, the CD on PG is faster than even a MK spot dodge, and you'll be able to jab him if he dodges the grab unless you do it late or too close.

I never ignored his short hop approaches, as they aren't difficult for Ike to deal with. If MK relies on his aerial approaches, he gets outspaced by Ike's better aerial range; a great thing to force him to do.

Since you seem against PGing enough to argue about it, I'd suggest playing some MK friends and having them dash in repeatedly to realize just how effective it is at reading approaches.

Edit: As for the whole rock/paper/scissors analog going on, you could view PG as a 4th element in the equation that counters both rock and scissors and is not effected by paper.

Edit2: Thinking again on the CD on PG against a MK spotdodge situation, I actually can't picture a situation where this applies with a properly spaced PG. The distance MK goes from a dash attack or grab is enough to get him grabbed, but spot dodge doesn't give him the forward distance for anyone to get hit, so it's basically a neutral situation. So he's not dodging the grab itself persay, but nobody can be punished directly from the situation regardless.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never said it was a bad approach, I'm just criticizing your belief that it's a godly way for us to handle MK on the ground. I don't think it's going to change the match up for us dramatically. It's a good damage builder, and a good way for us to avoid damage, but MK primarily kills us when he gets us off stage anyways. I will look to apply it in matches, and I'm sure it'll be great to get a b-throw to DA going. And Mk is less dangerous off stage then above, but I think MK isn't so bad to handle above us as long as you count the jumps.

Oh and I do play good MKs. Dojo and Dphat are two of many. Kthxbai.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
The reasons it's so huge is because of how MK gets Ike OFF the ground into the place he doesn't want to be, which are often his ground approaches (Edit: often DA and grab).

Getting grabbed = lots of percent from a combo or death from edgeguarding. In a way, getting grabbed in this matchup is just as bad as Falco or D3 or even ICs. Unfortunately, not getting grabbed is extremely hard to do, but being able to safely punish your opponent for trying is swts.

Not getting popped up > not getting combo'd + edgeguarding > not dying, so basically it's a direct largely beneficial tool to the very core of the matchup.

I can see how my spamming it in that matchup for the sake of testing may have irked you from it, but I'm glad you're considering what I'm saying.

And ok, you play good MKs. I got ***** by Dojo myself at Colombus, good times. I bet he doesn't let you get away with nairing his shield though D8

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
That's a pretty hilarious example as the Ike realizes his mistake and tries to QD away, like that's even a thing you do LOL

And I thought about that too Jam, but I figured since I was technically critiquing my video it was no biggie.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Watkins, I do think pivot grabbing can be really useful. I really do.

But you have to know when to do it and how to space it, man.

That video you posted earlier... I watched until 1:20 and I had to stop. It was awful. You hit like your very first of about an attempted 20 grabs and then both players committed suicide.

And you also need to space Nair better.

I dunno, I haven't seen a video yet that tells me pivot grabbing is THE THING to do in the match-up.

Also, I think we've overlooked a few videos that need critique since this discussion started. I don't feel like taking care of them, but..... Craysyn can do it.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
The unfortunate thing about not watching a whole video is that you won't fully comprehend a persons argument. Coincidentally, the first minute was rough but it picked up after that.

Though I was spamming grab more than normal for the purposes of testing, it should be noted that only 2 of the large amount of PGs were actually punished, which I acknowledged as just mistakes, which shows that I do know when to do it and how to space it.

Compared to how many approaches were stuffed and how the threat of the PG forced the MK play differently in a way that's more favorable to you, it might not be THE thing, but it's huge.

And yea I'll agree my nair spacing was a little off in that video, usually it's great but I struggle with slanted levels because I haven't practiced them enough.

In closing, I find it super obnoxious that you said such a blanket negative statement with no supporting logic as well as claiming you didn't even watch the video that was TESTING the whole concept the discussion is based on.

Thickheaded posts like that do nothing but hinder discussion, so if you want to challenge the point I'd suggest bringing up possible flaws with it like Bored did. He was a bit negative about it, but it was helpful regardless.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So...why is a video based on a person testing moves in the critique thread...a thread designed to comment on videos on how to improve one's game when they are legitimately playing a match? lol.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Naw I got the input I needed. So much arguing about trivial nonsense with no logic and turning every argument into a cockfight instead of being constructive though, smashboards wear me out.

I'll stop disrupting the critique bad Ike videos thread by attempting to get critique on a video of a concept though, since apparently it's "The Official Bad Ike Video Critique Thread" instead, and we totally can't interrupt that. 8D

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Since I kinda hijacked your spotlight, I'll give some tips.

1. Stop double jumping over the stage so much, it cuts out over half your options and there few things easier to punish than a double jump nair.

2. Take your time, no need to cut up grenades. Running itself puts you as a disadvantage, as you can no longer jab or tilt (which sucks when Snake mortar dashes at you). Try walking more when possible.

3. Make sure you're in jab range when you stop to jab, Snake won't let you get away with poor spacing.

4. Air dodging into Snake is rarely a good idea, as with other characters.

5. Try to read his nadebouncing when you're below him, and make sure you know how ridiculous your up airs hitboxes are.

6. Bair when Snake is behind you, don't spam roll.

But the biggest advice I could give that shines above all the others is to stop with the predictable aerial approaches, mix them up with more ground approaches. Fair and Nair are pretty unsafe on block against characters like Snake, so stop consistently attacking his shield.

You can't rely on the opponent to be dumb and drop his shield when you're in the air when all you do is jump at him and aerial.
Thanks for critiquing, I'll think about it.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I'll stop disrupting the critique bad Ike videos thread by attempting to get critique on a video of a concept though, since apparently it's "The Official Bad Ike Video Critique Thread" instead, and we totally can't interrupt that. 8D
On second thought, I think your video fit right in, actually.

Help Please! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTzg9kTGko

TeeVee
Vs MasterKurei
I won't do a minute/second timeline analysis, but I will tell you your biggest gameplay flaws in that first game (only watched one, but I think it was enough to get some big points across).

1) Don't approach a grounded opponent with Fair, rule of thumb. It's hard to get that right and EASY to space poorly and get punished a lot.

2) I don't think I saw a single grounded approach. It was a bunch of running forward, jumping, and doing Nair or Fair.

3) Speaking of running, don't always run forward until you get to your opponent. You have to remember ROB has projectiles. You need to shield or dodge them more.

3b) You played like you were on speed. Which isn't always bad. Playing fast is a good thing, but you can only pull it off if you can space well every time and think as fast as you're moving, which you didn't.

4) Don't toss out an aerial every time you get hit. When there's no need to momentum cancel, don't, especially against ROB and his super fast laser that can hit you basically anywhere. You got hit by it WAY too much, and if you had just saved some time for an air dodge, you'd have been in a much better position a lot of times.

5) Every time you get hit or grabbed, think for a second about it. Why did you get hit/grabbed? Was there anything you could do about it? Is there something you can do next time that won't get you hit or grabbed?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I've got a vid that I've finally been able to upload:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKROr5UG-Is

I think my post got buried under pivot grab talk. >.>
Probably, lol, sorry about that. I'll dive right into it.

0:19 - Try to work on the rolling a bit, that's four rolls already at this point and two have gotten you punished.

0:32 - Ftilt? I dunno, if you're waiting for him to approach and you're on a slope like that, be ready to use Aether or maybe Uair and retreat into the water.

0:36 - When you're sent off-stage above water like that, just fast-fall into the water; no risk of eating an edge guard and you might even bait him into jumping over you, in which case Aether away.

0:49 - That was kind of a useless shot, lol, Dtilt will basically never work on MKs. Better idea when he's on the ledge is just wait it out and see what he does, then once he's under the stage you know he's going to upB you, so you could try to maybe time a Counter or just wait it out and punish with Jabs.

1:00 - Once again here, don't be so quick to jump back, take some time to see what he does first. In this case you could have dropped down and done an Aether to rack some pretty heavy damage on him. Camp this section of the stage with Aether as hard as you want, it is definitely Ike's favorite part of Delfino.

1:13 - If you get someone into the water beneath you and you're holding the ledge (usually the situation after Aetherspiking someone in), don't waste that precious time by dropping down and re-grabbing the ledge, wait for them to pop to the surface and then drop off the ledge by pushing back on the control stick, not down, and then input a Dair. Having your c-stick set to attack really helps here to make sure you don't fast-fall, I'm not even sure it would work if you have it set to smash, you'd have to improvise by double-jumping first.

1:37 - Try to work on pivoting and Jabbing behind you out of shield, it can be very useful to be able to do that quickly in situations like this.

1:44 - An Fair that close to your opponent is never a good idea, especially when it's MK. Just empty jumping and then trying to get some Jabs in or maybe spacing an Nair and landing a bit further from him would have been better.

2:39 - Even an Ftilt would have been a bad idea here; when you're on last stock high %s you should stick pretty much entirely to moves like Jab, Nair and Bair. Speaking of Bair, I haven't seen you use very many SH Bairs, try to incorporate them into your game a bit more for OoS and spacing in general.

Alright, so some general advice: try to work rolling out of your game and be careful not to replace it with a spot-dodge or air-dodge habit, replace it with a Jab habit instead. Use Nair a bit more for spacing in contrast to Fair, and when you use Fair, make sure it's at maximum range. You didn't use too many Jabs so I haven't really seen enough to judge, but try to work on canceling Jab 1 back into Jab 1 every time for that extra bit of damage (except in certain MUs like Peach or Jiggs), and cancel Jab 1 into Utilt to KO when they're above 100% on most stages.

Also, I didn't see you use much of a grab game, although it is MK so it can be tricky to land a grab. Still, there were a few times I noticed where a shield grab may have worked, and make sure when you get a grab to pummel right away for that extra damage and then throw them based on the situation; never use Uthrow though. Other than that, I liked your use of moves, there wasn't any excessive use of Ike's specials or smashes (although a few Aethers while on the ledge couldn't have hurt at some moments there).

And, if I'm not mistaken, I don't think you used a Dair into the ground once all match; good stuff, lol. As usual let me know if you'd like me to elaborate or clarify anything.

:248:

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Here are the vids I was talking about several weeks ago. I'll edit this post when the 3 other vids are up.
So this was a tourney at some smashfest, that's how I play when under "pressure".
These are WF5 and GF1, 2 and 3, which I all won.. And it's all DF. I know this is kinda dumb but we forgot to save the replays before that (on delfino, SV... u_u). But seeing how random some of my victories are you can count them as defeats.

I already know some of my usual flaws (those spotdodges :o), and I just noticed I didn't approach even once :/ But please, critic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqCLlxZ9bF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHnPq3c_kOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEMDE_VWo8

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just cause I own the thread doesn't mean I'm the only one who can give critiques, lmao. I will critique these as soon as I get some time but Christmas preparation crap is getting in the way of everything right now.

In fact I can probably get these done today if I make it my priority during free time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Out of all the Ike mains who are in the H.O.F...you're the only one who's active. Last I recall...people in the H.O.F. are supposed to be famous for not backing down to any video critique.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Actually we're famous for the quality and quantity of critiques we've done... that's pretty much it, lol. But like I said, I'll get these three done today, and in fact I think there are four to be done because one was missed during the whole pivot grab drama with Watkins.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
this looks way more in-depth than I thought it'd be. cool =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmblFuDsKQ& Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ycsHBrWxI DDD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpYvb-kW60M MK

I think they all make me look a little sucky but my friend says these are the kind of replays I should post here.
Sorry this took so long, those are all tough MUs but you seemed to have a little more trouble with Falco than the others, so I'll critique that one for now.

0:19 - Train yourself to hit the A button as soon as you grab someone to buffer a pummel; that extra bit of damage is always helpful.

0:20 - Right here after landing that Nair, you buffered a crouch and that took up potentially valuable time; practice doing short-hop fast-fall Nairs and buffering Jabs or another jump at the earliest possible moment after landing.

0:25 - Don't roll so much, you could have punished his roll there with Jabs if you weren't thinking about evasion yourself. Watch your opponent and read what they're doing, don't worry about your own character.

0:38 - A Bair when falling like that is rarely worth the risk, just land and then turn around and Jab instead. Only time you want to try for that Bair is if they're well above KO % and their shield is low, you can try to poke them, otherwise the landing lag just isn't worth it.

0:48 - Always grab the edge with Aether, especially when you're doing it reversed like that. If you're not comfortable with the spacing to grab the ledge backwards on a stage like FD, practice, practice and practice some more.

0:50 - That spike shouldn't have hit; if Falco Dthrows you near the ledge above 55%, DI up and behind him. If he Dthrows you on-stage, either DI up and behind or forwards and tech the landing. Even here you had time to air-dodge the spike, so be aware of what % Falco's CG is no longer guaranteed.

0:57 - Fsmash isn't a good idea for edge-guarding Falco due to the speed of his sideB and potential mix-ups like what he did here. Stick to Jabs or slide an Usmash away from the ledge to hit him out of sideB if he's at KO %.

1:28 - You really shouldn't be using so many Ftilts; that's about 5 by this point, none of which hit and this one cost you the stock. Ftilt is a KO move for hard reads and punishing, not a spacing/damage racking move.

1:36 - Instead of timing a Bair on the way down, input the Bair as soon as you jump to auto-cancel it when you land. The easiest way to do this is if you have tap jump on, just hit up on the control stick and back on the c-stick simultaneously.

1:39 - That was a good time for Jab -> Utilt, because you read his roll after tripping, but you chose to do an Fsmash which was way too slow and in the wrong direction to boot. If your opponent is above 70%, don't even bother trying to land Fsmash, it's a waste when another Jab combo or two will put them in a position to be KO'd by much better moves like Bair and Utilt.

2:04 - Are you kidding? A Dair into the ground from two feet above the ground? Lol, I don't even know what to say to that, but obviously an Nair would have served you a lot better there. Don't Dair into the ground.

2:12 - You need to work on making "JABJABJABJAB" your constant mindset when playing as Ike. Right here was a perfect opportunity to Jab, but you somehow managed to turn around and do a dash-grab instead.

2:39 - In situations like this you have to recognize what your opponent is most likely to do, so let's look at the facts: You're Ike, he's Falco and he's at 141%. The fact that he's at 141% means he's not going to be taking chances so he's going to leave his shield on, and he knows he has a 0-50% chain grab on you, so he wants to grab you. What you should have done is gone in and grabbed him, or pressured him with Fairs from a safe distance to avoid the shield grab, possibly KOing him in the process. Now that's the kind of situational assessment you should be making during the game, at all times.

3:04 - Try to concentrate on landing more safely, landing right next to him every time is just asking for trouble.

As a closing statement I'll just reinforce the fact that you should be using Jab a lot more often, and in a lot of difference situations. Don't roll so much, Jab instead. Pay attention to your positioning throughout the match, don't fall straight back to your opponent when returning to the stage. And don't use Fsmash to edge-guard, or Ftilt to rack damage.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Here are the vids I was talking about several weeks ago. I'll edit this post when the 3 other vids are up.
So this was a tourney at some smashfest, that's how I play when under "pressure".
These are WF5 and GF1, 2 and 3, which I all won.. And it's all DF. I know this is kinda dumb but we forgot to save the replays before that (on delfino, SV... u_u). But seeing how random some of my victories are you can count them as defeats.

I already know some of my usual flaws (those spotdodges :o), and I just noticed I didn't approach even once :/ But please, critic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqCLlxZ9bF4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHnPq3c_kOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmEMDE_VWo8
Since they're all essentially the exact same match, I'll just critique the first one, lol. That Marth needs to stop going off-stage to edge-guard you, you'd think he'd learn his lesson the first time. Anyways, here it goes:

0:19 - Try your best to refrain from spot-dodging against Marth when you're both grounded, he will dancing blade it. Shield it and Jab after the third hit.

0:33 - After an Fair like that, fall back away from him, not towards him. It helps to use the C-stick for the Fair so you have total control of Ike with the control stick.

0:43 - For edge-guarding against Marth like that, stick to Jabs after he performs his get-up action unless you're sure he'll ledge-drop double jump and Nair or something, in which case retreat an Fair to punish it.

0:47 - That needed less spot-dodges and more reads -> Jabs. Watch what he's doing and don't worry about dodging.

0:57 - Make sure you're getting the most out of every Jab, if you think he's too high/far away for Jab 2 to connect, use an Utilt or Ftilt to follow up Jab 1. You don't want to risk anything with Jab canceling on Marth, it doesn't work too well.

1:06 - Always, always, always be ready to DI up when you're near the ledge against Marth or MK or anyone with a fast attack that sends you horizontally. If you had, you could have easily survived with an Aether here. Failing that, do an air-dodge right away followed by a double jump; if you had done that instead of just the double jump you could have made it back with an Aether instead of having to risk the QD.

1:29 - That shouldn't have happened, he just got 26% of free damage on you, don't let them hit you while they're invincible like that.

2:46 - That's the perfect time for an off-stage Fair right there, do a full-hop and then double-jump Fair, abusing the range as best you can to surprise them. Even Marth can't hope to challenge a full-range Ike Fair off-stage so his only choices are to get hit or air dodge. If he air dodges, conditioning to set up for a read and Dair spike or Bair begins (you can ask me to elaborate on this if you want).

2:51 - Whenever you're high/close enough to just land on the stage, do it. Especially when they're over 100% damage because they have the slow get-up animation which is very dangerous for Ike's Aether recovery.

3:20 - Really? He got you with the exact same Uair -> Nair nonsense while invincible, that definitely should not happen twice in one match.

Overall your Ike definitely isn't bad at all, good use of Jabs for the most part but watch your spacing with Fair. I didn't see a whole lot of Nair, but Fair is generally more useful against Marth anyways. Be careful when recovering, DI properly to avoid bad situations and make sure to avoid going too far below the stage whenever you can. Also, take care after you get a KO and don't allow for free damage, lol.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
OK, thanks a lot for the critique. I'll make the best of it.

If he air dodges, conditioning to set up for a read and Dair spike or Bair begins (you can ask me to elaborate on this if you want).
I'm not really good at punishing habits, but this is a good start -forcing it then punishing it. I'll try and do it from now on.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
General: You don't know the Ganon:Ike MU too well (or it was a norfair thing)... there is no need to AD and spot dodge against Ganon so readily. You aren't too familiar with Ike being offstage, as you had a lot of potential suicides/deaths that could have been avoided if you knew what you can do and not do and if you weren't so AD happy.

Now a specific time line:

0:16 know ledge grabbing mechanics. You have to either FF aether or hope to grab the ledge when you already used your 2nd jump.

0:30 spot dodge habit is now obvious, Ganon is playing more patiently at this point after you spot dodged two of his attacks. You're spot dodge happy now after this 3rd spot dodge.

0:34 nice one

0:43 Ganon started charging, that was EASY counter bait considering your position and in fact the best option (risk/reward) as he couldn't charge past counter frames at that point. There is a point where you can counter and fall into his range and he can't do anything about it.

0:46 o_O random counter much? Ganon has no moves to hit you there and Up B would grab you out of it anyways. You also could have buffered an AD to avoid the fsmash too

0:54 Instead of trying to go through Ganon, just drop through the platform and space aether to recover to the ledge. His utilt can't reach a spaced aether without getting himself hit by it.

0:58 move is already over. Late AD is late

1:00 obvious ledge jump was obvious considering the lava. Better off aethering Ganon into the lava too.

1:07 Get down onto a lower platform and get the positional advantage.

1:30 Hmph (Don't taunt next time, its possible to mash out of shield break daze in 2 seconds)

1:38 don't EVER spotdodge repeatedly!! HOLD THE SHIELD BUTTON!

1:41 Ike's get up attack is really good

1:50 full hop bair when Ganon is in front of you?... guessing some error in input with the cstick?

1:55 first time experience with wind boxes? Also, DI the lava up

2:12 only dair when you'll land behind the person so they can't grab you OoS unless they will fall of the ledge from shield push

2:16 *slap* stop spotdodgeing

2:28 *whacks you with a hammer* words cannot describe how silly you looked then

For 2nd half of the match you were being outplayed...

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
I remember saying when I got my last vid critiqued (long time ago) that i'll post another for critique if I see a significant improvement on my side. well then, here's my 2 other vids for critique.

Game 1
Game 2

Thanks to bored for taking time to upload three of my many matches. I would like to get the last one critiqued too but the attack stick screwed me over so much on that that I already know my mistakes on that one
(I always used smash stick before and these vids are my playing with my new classic pro. This controller's really good; almost as if you're playing with GC).

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
So I can't post any videos and would like to work on my Ike, so someone here help me out and play.

FC is 5457-6452-2595

I'm going to my first tournament coming up and want to get a sense of how my characters will play, since I don't know if I'm going to use Ike or Peach for it. I tried getting people online in the stickied thread but the website it links to sucks so yeah. Help a brother out.

WeretigerX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PentSage
I remember saying when I got my last vid critiqued (long time ago) that i'll post another for critique if I see a significant improvement on my side. well then, here's my 2 other vids for critique.

Game 1
Game 2

Thanks to bored for taking time to upload three of my many matches. I would like to get the last one critiqued too but the attack stick screwed me over so much on that that I already know my mistakes on that one
(I always used smash stick before and these vids are my playing with my new classic pro. This controller's really good; almost as if you're playing with GC).
Well with Game 1, I see one main problem. That is that you anticipated a lot of movement from Ness that wasn't there. What I mean by that is that you attacked frivolously many times and that hurt you damage wise. You still have to remember that Ike has a good amount of end lag and every move should be with great purpose. You spaced Fair well though. Good effort in the end.

Game 2 you didn't have the same problem which is good. Be careful how liberally you use quick draw though. There were many times you could have been gimped to hell and back while using it. Also be careful about your aether recovery onto the stage. On the third stock, you aethered onto the stage and if he had responded how he should have, you could have been potentially tipper Fsmashed and gimped. You got pretty lucky on the last aether too haha. Had you recovered to the ledge, you might have edgehogged him for a more concise win. A win is a win though, right?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Here are two vids of a MM I played on saturday (*.* first time my replays are up so soon), we forgot to save the first match, which I lost, on SV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYiKsrk-Xs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcxhnd0HOFk

another match-up in which my suckiness at spacing nair cannot be truly detected :trollface:

Please critique when you can :D

EDIT: here are the matches against zudenka, just in case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv_5zBirbf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfZ-ESFabQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjoVYS8qnSw

Top Bottom