• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

idea

Smash Master
very general, but...don't let him get above you. you can't do anything like...rising fair, rising bair, when fox is coming down from above. it's intuitive to try but his moves (well, FH nair) will always beat yours. you have to get completely out of his way before you try to hit him =P

(upair works from below, but it's hard to figure out when to do that since fox is so fast. i'm still working on that one <_<)

and like, once he hits you once, don't try to float after him and get a surprise fair...things like that just lead to longer fox combos. i think that's what happened early in game 1. it might seem like it could work if you do it quickly, but jigglypuff's quickly is fox's normal.

you might also want to do more empty hops/late moves just to mix it up, but that's not really fox advice, just a way to be more unpredictable. he was starting to figure out how to punish you when you land after spacing aerials.

oh, he was also recovering with side-b a lot, which counters you jumping out to edgeguard him every time. so you should probably wait for him to do that. i would wait at the edge and ftilt...it covers you pretty well, as long as they don't space the illusion perfectly. he'll probably start to drop lower and firefox more often, which is great, cause then you can just fall on his face with fairs.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Seems like lcanceling aerials into utilt is too slow against shielding characters, especially spacies. Do you recommend empty hop spaced just out of grab range into utilt?? (hoping for the grab)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Question about an idea:

When an opponent techs on a platform to the right or left (such as on Battlefield after you Uthrow), why don't people ever do Bair, Fair, Dair, whatever edge cancel to Rest? In other words, when the opponent techs and they're on the edge of the platform, do a Bair that gets edge-canceled (hit them and slide off) and hit Rest immediately after. DI and % shouldn't matter much if you do both within frames of each other.

Is there a problem with this? From what I've done, it seems to work and makes more usage of platforms with Jigglypuff, but maybe my opponents are just making mistakes with avoiding it.

idea

Smash Master
hmm...it does look pretty cool...but at medium or higher percents you'd probably need to do it very fast for them not to DI out. and i can see peach getting out of this easier than others. i THINK this would work almost all or all of the time if you do it frame perfectly. i also think chances are that eventually one would do it imperfectly, miss the rest, and lose a stock over it.

it seems good but a little unnecessary.

what i do is...throw character onto a platform:

- tech in place: assume this, jump on top of them preparing to rest
- missed tech: same timing as above, but with more room for error
- tech in toward stage: unlikely unless they DI'd toward the farther edge of the platform. if they end up near the inward side and still tech inward, that's really slow, so you can probably react in time to rest or upthrow or something. this seems like a good time for edgecanceled rest bull**** =P
- tech away from stage: riskier to try to rest them since you could end up offstage even if you hit it. but from here you can fair/bair them and probably get an edgeguard opportunity. or rest them anyway if it's dreamland or something and the platform is far enough in from the edge.

people generally either tech in place or tech to the farther side of the platform. when you see jigglypuffs jump under a platform, hover for a second, then sway over to the other side and rest them, that's not mindgames, they've just internalized that most people roll the farther distance in those cases =P

i think it just seems trickiest to DI really far to one side then tech all the way to the other side. no one EVER DIs far away and then also rolls to the far edge. it wouldn't matter though, cause that's so slow you can react anyway and get a probable edgeguard out of it.

yeah, this is why i usually ban FD lol

edit: oh, and don't show this to anyone, i wanna keep getting easy kills :laugh:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
You can do a Rest out of this combo at 0 though, since the Bair makes up for the damage not usually gained to kill with it. Middle to high percents, you just Rest.

Mahone

Smash Champion
You are talking like edgecanceling aerials is so easy you can do it will 100% consistency.

I know im not the most technical player but that seems really hard to do outside of training mode.

Cool idea (get it) though.

.... oh and **** you idea, edit your post right now!!! I get so many kills doing exactly what you said, we can't let people see this!

--------------------------------------------------------

I might as well ask some stuff, since this bored is dead, and i wanna get some conversation going so we can revive it.

First off, how do you di ganon's downthrow and does it change depending on percent?

Also, i didn't want to post this cuz im gonna get a bunch of comments on how i choked like 50 times, but what the hell, it can't hurt, so can you guys critique this match.................... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34OduESaLV4

idea

Smash Master
edgecanceling aerials with jiggs is actually pretty easy, but, still...teh_icy's way just seems so risky. i wouldn't feel very comfortable doing that in tourney. i mean, if you can do that reliably, then sure, go for it...i just have a feeling it'll screw you over eventually =P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

two things kinda jumped out at me:

1. there were multiple times when you grabbed and probably should have upthrown but went for an edgeguard instead.
2. you missed a lot of edgeguards.

over the set i guess it just added up. nice ccs though.

after typing it i decided this doesn't apply really, because it wasn't much of a problem in that set, but i like my wording so i'm going to include it anyway:

empty hop more. relatedly, do more late aerials. you were usually doing the whole jump, aerial right away, jump again, same aerial, retreat to ground. it's just kind of predictable. if you jump and don't do anything fox gets antsy and tries to run in, so the late aerial will sometimes catch him off guard. once you start doing that, the early aerials will work more often because they won't know which to expect.

and lol don't worry about it, if it gets put up i'll post one of my least favourite tourney matches ever, vs. kirbykaze :laugh:

Mahone

Smash Champion
Ugh, ya i no, i missed so many edgeguards, i usually choke when doing those in tournament.

I didn't notice the upthrow thing, ill have to rewatch and see, so thank you for that.

As for the empty hop more, i definately agree, I have recently been working on that problem because i know i have it, but i'm finding it really hard to incorporate into my game. I feel like I'm just doing it because i know that X percent of the time i should do it, not because it was the right thing to do... so when i do end up empty hopping it just looks awkward.

I think it boils down to me realising my aerial game is being read and adapting faster. I would like to know if you agree, or if you think my problem might be something else.

I'm actually really glad you brought the empty hop thing up, because even though it wasn't a problem in this set since eggm doesn't really dd camp that much, the foxes that dd camp more tend to do better against me because of that.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice idea, i especially appreciated how you didn't mention some of the obvious stuff i did that was choking like not resting his upsmash etc.

idea

Smash Master
well...it didn't seem like a big problem in that one set...but in general, predictable aerials can be pretty bad for jiggs. so uh...if eggm wasn't punishing you especially much for doing that, then someone will somewhere down the line. (so yeah, pretty much what you said)

as for how exactly to do that and when...i don't really know. that's the kind of thing i make up as i go. but i DO know that when i'm doing only rising aerials, it's a clear sign i'm not playing my best.

...and i forgot you can rest oos on upsmash =P i always forget things like that lol

1337h4xx0r

Smash Apprentice
What should I do an aggressive Marth with good spacing? Also, what are some good rest combos other than uptilt>rest? I can't seem to do that at all against the particular Marth I'm having trouble with.

Mahone

Smash Champion
What should I do an aggressive Marth with good spacing? Also, what are some good rest combos other than uptilt>rest? I can't seem to do that at all against the particular Marth I'm having trouble with.
awesome name.

Ya, you won't get uptilt rests on aggressive marths, first you have to force them to play more defensive by punishing their aggression.

A great example of how to beat aggressive marth is this match- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDbZWzVbWM

As for other rest setups, upair rest is good, but make sure the marth doesn't have time to jump out of it. Grab edge and rest his up b and downthrow to techchase rest if you are close to platforms.

Forlorn.

Smash Cadet
Thanks.

And yeah, I'll try that. If I still get destroyed, then I could always get critiqued. We'll probably record next time we play. So, basically, if I beat him, I'm happy. If I lose, I get critiqued, and I'll use the advice to improve. I love win-win situations.
This mentality is definitely the most surefire way to improve.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Thanks.

And yeah, I'll try that. If I still get destroyed, then I could always get critiqued. We'll probably record next time we play. So, basically, if I beat him, I'm happy. If I lose, I get critiqued, and I'll use the advice to improve. I love win-win situations.
Ya, great attitude. If you upload any matches i promise i will critique it as in depth as you want because i can tell you are willing to get better.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Game 1

:23- I always di shieks fthrow forward, i feel like its better to just take the one fair and then be horizontal with her. It's never good to be above her because then you have to worry about how to get down.

:32- Usually when you hit with the tip of your foot like that you don't have enough time to rest sheik so pay more attention to what part of the uptilt hits and how high she goes (but to be honest, in this matchup it might just be better to go for it since there is like no punish)

:36- He seemed to have baited you, as you can see, you come strait at him and commit really hard to the situation... often times it is better to just land and get your spacing

:40- He could have upaired you and killed you because you di'd in again, let him know... it will make you both better players

:55- Again you should di full away and then di his hit full away so he can't combo

:59- I'm pretty sure you could have rested that oos, and again its this matchup so whats the worst that would happen?

1:56- That was a perfect time for uptilt, also, i think you could have just crouch canceled that uptilt at such a low percent, so keep that in mind

2:15-2:19- That's the kind of spacing that i would love to see more throughout your match. You should be weaving in and out more with stuff like that rather than commiting to one aerial.

2:23- Obv. late, but you could have gotten there if you had jumped right after the pound instead of landing first

2:44- The more you play sheik, the more you learn you have to kind of juke your way back on the stage. Never come strait at the stage from offstage, always keep your spacing so that if they come out to hit you, you can weave out a bit and pound them. You have six jumps so you shouldn't have to worry about losing a couple while keeping your spacing.

In general, you commit too much to your approaches... what i mean by that is that you fair or pound right into sheik so if you hit you get kind of a low reward, but if you miss you get grabbed -> aerial.

Try to space bairs more and i like to weave in and out with nair a lot in this matchup.

Also, crouch a lot more after all of your aerials, he grabbed you a lot and you could have gotten a lot of free rest if you had done like autocanceled nairs into him and then immediately crouched.

Crouch also has the added benefit of ccing stuff even when you weren't planning on it, like those uptilts so mess around with it.

I'll look at the rest (get it) later.

idea

Smash Master
it was alright. really funny sometimes but kind of inconsistent.

i guess i'll watch those once my monthly bandwidth limit resets <_<

Mahone

Smash Champion
it was alright. really funny sometimes but kind of inconsistent.

i guess i'll watch those once my monthly bandwidth limit resets <_<
.... what.

Home movies is the best show of all time...
OF ALL TIME.

I bet u like ****ing degrassi.

idea

Smash Master
honestly, with the internet i don't have any reason to watch tv. the cable in my room hasn't worked for months and i didn't notice until recently. most of what i watch these days is anime.

it's also kind of odd that my computer can play blu-ray files but not read blu-ray discs.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
yo

a) home movies is the best show ever but

b) degrassi is also pretty awesome

edit: if you're gonna have a futurama icon you can't be hatin on home movies... home movies is WAY better than futurama

Mahone

Smash Champion
Da bess show is futurama.

Home movies is good, but nothing tickles my fancy like futurama...subtle witty humor ftw =]
lol wut.

thats like the definition of home movies.

Have you watched all of futurama? I thought it was amazing the first few seasons, but now you can see every joke coming a mile away.

Futurama joke: "I am absolutely, positively, NOT going to *insert action here*" ........ *Cut to person doing that action*

Futurama joke: Bender says something about how *insert person here* is his best friend. Bender immediately after says "Kill *insert same person here* and let me live"

Tamoo

Smash Master
Yeah agreed there, still avidly watch futurama whenever possible tho :/

Is there anywhere to watch home movies online? Don't get it in UK and can't find it anywhere apart from youtube snippets

Mahone

Smash Champion
Yeah agreed there, still avidly watch futurama whenever possible tho :/

Is there anywhere to watch home movies online? Don't get it in UK and can't find it anywhere apart from youtube snippets
Ya all the full episodes are available from one person or another on youtube.

Here's what you do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Home_Movies_episodes

Keep that **** open and then just youtube the titles + home movies.....
iv'e never had a problem finding an episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom