• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official 64BR Recommended Ruleset

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I dont know, none of the platoforms link up with any characters sh or running full hop like the ones on dl do is it might give some characters a disadvantage. I say, if we want a small stage, just pick FD (if we can get those stars removed)

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I dont know, none of the platoforms link up with any characters sh or running full hop like the ones on dl do is it might give some characters a disadvantage. I say, if we want a small stage, just pick FD (if we can get those stars removed)
Exactly. It's a change of pace from the other levels, and a bit ****-eyed, but that's its charm. It allows for great up/down approaches throughout the entire stage, which most of the other stages don't, which creates another style of play, varying the game up a bit.

I'm not buying the disadvantage argument, though. Dreamland gives certain characters ridiculous advantages (DK platform U-airs, Falcon's U-Smash, etc.), so why isn't Dreamland banned? For every advantage, there's a disadvantage to the guy who can't perform those advantages.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If such a thing as a KB-N64 adapter were invented, would it be legal in console play?

I would also challenge anyone to find a significant difference between console and emulator play, if the pro-emu guy brings an adapter for the controller-players out there.

Looks OK for the most part otherwise.

I am coming out right now against the samedelay command; it would confer an insane advantage to the player with higher delay, because they are, of course, used to the delay, while the poor sap whose only crime was good connection and location is punished. p2p is the go-to option for those of us who can't get good delay on server.

And I am TOTALLY UNBIASED regarding the above issue =p

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Semp, DK's uair chains are one of the things I like about DL. Actually gives him a chance to be interesting.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If such a thing as a KB-N64 adapter were invented, would it be legal in console play?

I would also challenge anyone to find a significant difference between console and emulator play, if the pro-emu guy brings an adapter for the controller-players out there.

Looks OK for the most part otherwise.

I am coming out right now against the samedelay command; it would confer an insane advantage to the player with higher delay, because they are, of course, used to the delay, while the poor sap whose only crime was good connection and location is punished. p2p is the go-to option for those of us who can't get good delay on server.

And I am TOTALLY UNBIASED regarding the above issue =p
samedelay is dumb ... but serious matches should be p2p anyway right?

Also if you play console you can feel the difference from emulator. For one, controller adapters aren't perfect, particularly with stick range.

I can do training mode combos much more easily on console than on emulator, for example.

Semp, DK's uair chains are one of the things I like about DL. Actually gives him a chance to be interesting.
I <3 the DK tent combos. And you're way more likely to get one than you are to get a platform drop uair combo on Dreamland.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
DK tent combos bore me so much, unless you finish it outta the tent with something cool.

And I have gotten pri consistent at dk uair chains soz...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I was just saying that to start an uair chain you have to be in a pretty specific situation. To start a DK tent combo you just need to get a grab somewhat near there.

Also DK tent combos are awesome and if you disagree it's because you aren't creative enough at them :p

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I guess o_o

Besides the one combo by Alancitu that involves like tent --> uair chains up the entire three platforms --> big punch, all tent combos bore me to some extent.

Uair chains are much more cool looking/fun imo. Harder, probably.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Good DK's are interesting for things other than the uair chains. Cart's is delightful, for example. And Frogles'.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Besides the one combo by Alancitu that involves like tent --> uair chains up the entire three platforms --> big punch, all tent combos bore me to some extent.
Omg, I was totally planning that for a training combo, except ending with an up-angled F-smash. I keep wanting to do something for a combo, and finding out somebody else did it. ESPECIALLY PRINCE. He must have ruined like 10+ combo ideas for me.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can't imagine my rage when I saw the Ricky's TAS with direct egg -> egg.

I already had a combo with that recorded, which I could have uploaded any time, and I wanted to be the first with a double egg combo.

Prince is still the worst, though. Apparently I think like him in terms of combos.

tacos

Smash Journeyman
hmn just read gavs post..............
What do you guys think, that could be added, about rage quits.
This may sound silly, but I think there should be a rule concerning this.....
So lets just say your playing a guy in a turney....... your pwnin him and suddenly he just quits the game(refuses to play with his opponent or presses L+R+B+A) wut would u guys think the punishment would be?
imo he should just be dq from the the whole bracket(maybe a warining first)

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Well, isn't a restart a forfeit, unless agreed upon by both players (picked the wrong stage or something)?

So they'd just lose that match, and you'd continue playing. Rage quit again, and would you look at that, you've won, best of three!

tacos

Smash Journeyman
Well, isn't a restart a forfeit, unless agreed upon by both players (picked the wrong stage or something)?

So they'd just lose that match, and you'd continue playing. Rage quit again, and would you look at that, you've won, best of three!
Yeah but thats not what I ment what would you think if the guy winning complains about something his opponent is doing and simply quits

I didn't mean it like that...... the point is playing...... and what if a guy against u just quits(in the middle of the match) don't u think that he deserves a dq or atleast a warning
I kinda get a little agitated when this happens

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
hmn just read gavs post..............
What do you guys think, that could be added, about rage quits.
This may sound silly, but I think there should be a rule concerning this.....
So lets just say your playing a guy in a turney....... your pwnin him and suddenly he just quits the game(refuses to play with his opponent or presses L+R+B+A) wut would u guys think the punishment would be?
imo he should just be dq from the the whole bracket(maybe a warining first)
um sorry i didnt rage quit one time, i reset after the match was over to save time, so u can go cry somewhere else, u didnt pwn anyone, i won more sets than u.

The real question is wat should u do when ur opponent has di that would be impossible to do on console.

tacos

Smash Journeyman
um sorry i didnt rage quit one time, i reset after the match was over to save time, so u can go cry somewhere else, u didnt pwn anyone, i won more sets than u.

The real question is wat should u do when ur opponent has di that would be impossible to do on console.
wha-
whats makes u think I was talking about you.......(which I wasn't)

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I don't follow. If he quits at any point during the match, he forfeits the match and you get the win. There's no need to DG or warn him since he's only hurting himself.

And why would the guy winning complain?

I understand you just wanna play, but if the other guy is hell-bent on restarting, then that's his problem, and there's nothing you can really do except give him the loss. Anybody who ragequits often is not fun to play with, so why would you want to prolong it?

Obviously, this would only apply during a tournament setting, because there's no sense in wasting time with unnecessary restarts. If the guy does this during friendlies, then he's just a d-bag who isn't fun to play with.

EDIT: RE: new posts: restarting at the very end to save time is okay, I guess, provided the match is actually over. Generally speaking, though, I would just let it finish. There's something satisfying about seeing that green ivy around the big 1.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Restarting should be an auto forfeit at any time during a tournament set. I don't care if the opponent is in the star KO animation and you are at the middle of Hyrule. Don't reset if it's a serious match.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Yes, especially in a tournament setting. There's no reason to restart unless you're really pressed for time, in which there shouldn't even be a tournament in the first place.

tacos

Smash Journeyman
Yes, especially in a tournament setting. There's no reason to restart unless you're really pressed for time, in which there shouldn't even be a tournament in the first place.
Restarting should be an auto forfeit at any time during a tournament set. I don't care if the opponent is in the star KO animation and you are at the middle of Hyrule. Don't reset if it's a serious match.
This is stuff I wanted to hear....
btw I think you guys misunderstood me, ofcourse the guy ragequitting would get the loss, but what I ment to say was that.... lets say a guy does this multiple times during the turney(quits the match in mid game) imo I really think doing this should recieve a direct dq or a warning.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Well I still say that if he keeps doing that, then by the logic that if he does it he loses, he won't last long in the tourney and will no longer be able to plague everybody with his ragequits.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
um Ive seen plenty of matches where someone has restarted after the match was over and these were REAL LIFE tournament matches. Also when I played mahie in a tournament he did the same thing.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Who cares about restarting when the match is already over (aka character with no chance of coming back to the stage ; star KO on last stock)? It saves time. In fact, whether I win or lose, I always restart. Don't need to waste time on the dumb victory screen.

Doing it mid-game is indeed pretty bad but I still think it should only mean losing the round, not the whole set. It's not like you see it very often anyway.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I care. Because I've seen an instance where someone reset thinking that the had won when they really hadn't.
In that case, then yes, they lose because it's not even guaranteed they won. (aka opponent hasn't used his double jump and recovery/star KO didn't happen yet)

dandan

Smash Lord
i would never allow someone to reset when they win, if they lose, then reset as much as they want, but i do not want someone to tell me i had no chance to come back (even if i hadn't).

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
You're just fishing for a win that way. I guess it's legit but when you're 100% sure you lost there's no way you'd be able to complain about the reset with a straight face.

Whatever though I'm fine with any rule. I just prefer to reset because it saves time and it affects less my concentration during the set.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
If makes you feel better Funk us Aussies reset nearly every match, at optimal times if possible, such as right when you hit a puff rest/falcon punch/mario upsmash/ w/e (assuming of course it's guaranteed to kill).

Funniest moment was when I tried to reset right when I was about to hit a Link UpB, but my hand slipped and I missed it but still reset. Needless to say it was an awkward moment and my opponent was a tad upset :D

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
When I was at BEAST (international Melee tournament in Sweden), I've seen a lot of mid match pauses due to various reasons and I've seen no one complain or try to get greedy with it. While all you guys may say you would complain if your opponent reseted in a match you were guaranteed to lose, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't irl. =)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
If makes you feel better Funk us Aussies reset nearly every match, at optimal times if possible, such as right when you hit a puff rest/falcon punch/mario upsmash/ w/e (assuming of course it's guaranteed to kill).

Funniest moment was when I tried to reset right when I was about to hit a Link UpB, but my hand slipped and I missed it but still reset. Needless to say it was an awkward moment and my opponent was a tad upset :D
This is exactly why it's a terrible idea to allow the winning player to reset, and what I was referring to with my last post.

Slippery slope.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I saw this clip once where a jiggly (last stock, mid-low percent) landed a rest on a Ness (last stock, very high percent) on a cloud, and the cloud disappeared and the jiggly lost while ness was still in the star ko animation. That was obviously a friendly because it was on Yoshi's stage. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

IMO resetting is pretty pointless - it's only a few seconds saved anyways. In my book, resetting is equivalent to forfeiting - you haven't won until the game says you have, even if your opponent is in the star KO animation. Allowing the resetter to win is indeed a slippery slope towards abuses and arguments over technicalities.

EDIT: Found the video: 2:29 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrsUCEL_WXU

Top Bottom