• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sim

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or is the Peach matchup really screwy?
SHE WON"T DIEEEE!
As a Puff/Peach main I can help.

I like any aerial > rest in the air against peach (of course, that's if you'll be falling on the stage...). Low risk, yet great reward. Of course chaining with a bair or something would stack up damage, but a rest is way better. At this height in the air, it's a guaranteed kill except on exceptional situations.

Don't bait her aerials, Bait her follow-up. Peach has an automatic cancel on her every moves when they're float canceled that's faster than l-canceling. There isn't even one frame of delay I think. No matter what, it's really, really fast. As soon as she lands, she's up to something. React to that, not the aerial.

Also, don't fool around trying to perform an Aerial duel for too long. Eventually you'll get out-priorised by spaced fairs and stuff. Gets boring fast, and she kills you far earlier than you do (without a rest, ofc).

The problem with that match-up is that, being the one without the turnips, you have to approach. Peach players CC > dsmash a lot, and they also like to just randomly jump and nair the **** out of you when you approach for no obvious reason other than... nairing you. If you space incorrectly, she'll punish with fast, low aerials.

Beware the stitch face. It kills Puff really early.

That's about it for now. Have a nice day!

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I don't think he was saying "nair is greater than dash attack," I think he was agreeing with you and adding, "Nair combos into dash attack."

which I agree with cuz nair to dash attack is like one of my favorite combos with puff lolz

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
no way. i do not believe that dash attack lag lasts that long. who are you playing with that this **** works?

Mahone

Smash Champion
Bamesy, its ok not to know everything, you yourself have said you just started playing puff recently, but please use more discretion when posting.

If you are not 100 percent sure something is correct, at least acknowledge that you think it combos, don't just assume it does because it works on your friends....

I use to think a lot of things comboed until i played better players who would buffer out of them or do something that got out of it.

It's fine to say things like rollout *****, but I remember when i was learning puff, i looked at this thread and got a lot of bad information from people joking/not knowing what they were talking about....

Actually its really funny cuz MANGO says that rollout ***** ics on the front page, but he was clearly trolling cuz ive never seen him use it and ive used it against Chudat and he can just easily fsmash it or just blizzard or ice block to be safe... of course there are going to be specific times where it is going to work, but when MANGO writes like 5 lines about how to beat ics and one of them is to rollout, it makes it seem more significant than it is.

I'm kind of rambling but my point is... I waited a really long time before i started giving advise on the puff boards, honestly i still think i don't know enough to consistently give great advice, but i do it cuz MANGO and HBOX have left us, and it seems like its usually only me and Idea, so i try, but i am always careful when i say something ***** or is a COMBO, because to a newb reading this thread, those are keywords they use to improve their game.

I think its great that you post your ideas about puff, and I dont want people to read this and think im saying if you aren't a top player don't post, but i just think without solid evidence, you should explain the reasoning, or refer to past experiences to justify your claims, rather than just saying something like "dash attack *****".

idea

Smash Master
yeah, i'm probably wrong now and then too, but no one corrects me so i have no way of knowing =3

on the other hand, if i can get something to work on the top players in my region, it's basically going to work on everyone, lol

anyway bamesy, i can't even picture that...did you say dash attack > fair > fair > grab?

imo dash attack is good in specific situations where it's the best choice to continue a combo. for instance...if you fair someone at medium percent, and they're near the edge, and they DI away, dash attack might be a good choice. since they DIed toward the ground you might not have the time to jump and do another aerial, except maybe nair, which is weaker than dash attack anyway. fairing again might work, but doing it that quickly might make you get the weak hit by mistake, etc. etc.

in general, though, don't ever dash attack if they're touching the ground.

Mahone

Smash Champion
yeah, i'm probably wrong now and then too, but no one corrects me so i have no way of knowing =3

on the other hand, if i can get something to work on the top players in my region, it's basically going to work on everyone, lol
I totally agree with this part, your opponent isn't perfect either so a lot of time psudo combos are the best option, thats why i was saying...

i just think without solid evidence, you should explain the reasoning, or refer to past experiences to justify your claims, rather than just saying something like "dash attack *****".
That's what i meant by that

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Dash attack is her best ground covering and hard hitting extremely fast move.
AKA, it *****.

Dash attacking them on the ground is legit. Especially if you land a Nair/Fair/Bair and they're in hitstun or in their shield as you're landing near them from the aerial...since they'll be trying to attack you/move out of their shield after getting hit by it.

Grabbing after aerials is something every character in the game does, Jiggs is no exception.
Dash attack combos into aerials just fine when you follow them. Falcos uthrow doesn't 'auto to Bair', but it's completely viable to Bair after uthrow.

Stop 'theory crafting' on specifics and use your heads. If someone reads a post and it says 'pivot ftilt' more...and they think 'that only works if someone doesn't shield it and they have to run into it by approaching you first' then they're doing it wrong...
I don't wanna say that about you, but if that's what you got from 'Dash attack Fair Grab' then you're doing it wrong. <_<

PS/Edit: Any move is completely viable in all situations if you do it right.
And I've had less experience at melee overall than almost everyone in the smash community. There's no reason I should ever win a match...with that logic.
ACTUAL logic would be 'Experience =/= Wisdom, do not compare the 2
2 people can have the exact same experience, for one, it'll be shrugged off and nothing will come from it, for the other, they can forever be better from it.
Don't be silly, think.
It works, trust me? ;)

Mahone

Smash Champion
Dash attack is her best ground covering and hard hitting extremely fast move.
AKA, it *****.

Dash attacking them on the ground is legit. Especially if you land a Nair/Fair/Bair and they're in hitstun or in their shield as you're landing near them from the aerial...since they'll be trying to attack you/move out of their shield after getting hit by it.

Grabbing after aerials is something every character in the game does, Jiggs is no exception.
Dash attack combos into aerials just fine when you follow them. Falcos uthrow doesn't 'auto to Bair', but it's completely viable to Bair after uthrow.

Stop 'theory crafting' on specifics and use your heads. If someone reads a post and it says 'pivot ftilt' more...and they think 'that only works if someone doesn't shield it and they have to run into it by approaching you first' then they're doing it wrong...
I don't wanna say that about you, but if that's what you got from 'Dash attack Fair Grab' then you're doing it wrong. <_<

PS/Edit: Any move is completely viable in all situations if you do it right.
And I've had less experience at melee overall than almost everyone in the smash community. There's no reason I should ever win a match...with that logic.
ACTUAL logic would be 'Experience =/= Wisdom, do not compare the 2
2 people can have the exact same experience, for one, it'll be shrugged off and nothing will come from it, for the other, they can forever be better from it.
Don't be silly, think.
It works, trust me? ;)
Pivot ftilt is garbage with puff....

Her ftilt has like no range and there is almost always a better option, usually ftilt is only for when you don't have time to punish with something better, i don't really see when you would be pivot ftilting at all.

idea

Smash Master
bamesy, it's not that dash attacking on the ground will never work, it's that it's obsolete. if they're on the ground you're not comboing them anymore so speed isn't as much of a priority. from that position you can just bair. it's a lot safer than ramming your head into them. basically if they're on the ground then you're in a more neutral position and risky, easily counterable moves like dash attack are unnecessary.

if you space an aerial on their shield and float away, they're not necessarily going to attack you right away. bairing again is still generally better than dash attack since it covers the option of you being wrong =P you could also fsmash and kill them at lower percents than dash attack. actually i think fsmash would be safer anyway, with its massive shield stun.

--------------------------

oh, another good time to use dash attack: at higher percents, when it will hit them far enough to kill them. you'll probably trade with an aerial but it'll probably be worth it. spacies come to mind. if they're doing full hop aerials and you run under them with dash attack, it'll likely trade and be worth it. again, though, this is riskier than bair or fair which can also easily kill them. it's more of a surprise, once-per-match kind of thing.

i THINK fair grab combos at medium or higher percents if you get the strong hit. it might only be that it works in practice, but that they could have been spamming CC shine or something. in my experience it doesn't work very well at low percents and sometimes works at higher percents...which makes sense.

Mahone

Smash Champion
... >_>
I wasn't talking about doing it with Jiggs. Just that it's a good maneuver...
Did you even read the context of it?

Yeah........
Good luck. o.O

Goodnight haha
Now you know how i feel.

LOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

I CANT BELIEVE YOU WALKED INTO THAT... IT WAS SO OBVIOUS I WAS BAITING YOU... IT WAS LIKE SHIELDING YOUR AERIAL WITH FOX AND THEN I WAVEDASHED BACK OOS AND STARTED CHARGING AN UPSMASH FOR THE DASH ATTACK THAT I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO TRY FOR SOME REASON... OR MABYE ITS LIKE THE BAIT WHERE I JUST WAIT IN SHIELD MORE AND THEN UPTHROW UPAIR YOUR DASH ATTACK... OR MABYE ITS LIKE WHEN I DO DROP MY SHIELD AND CC UPSMASH THAT DASH ATTACK

I'm sorry, i normally try not to be an ******* on the internet, but i didn't know how else to respond to your post... you clearly didn't read (or perhaps i should say understand) what i posted and continued to say incorrect information that would take me like 5 pages to dissect and explain why you were wrong... this seemed much easier and funnier.

edit: Man idea, your such a better person than me... but ya i agree with everything you said.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
bamesy, it's not that dash attacking on the ground will never work, it's that it's obsolete.

i THINK fair grab combos at medium or higher percents
>_>
Nothing is obsolete LOL

Too much theory. It WORKS SOMETIMES and DOESN'T WORK OTHER TIMES
That's literally ALL there is to it.
lol
Make it up as you go is way funner and more effective than 'this is how it is nothing less nothing more'
Obviously though...
but yeah, thanks for input.

Mahone, what? hahah
"Pivot ftilt is garbage with puff...."
That was enough for me to say "refer to past experiences to justify your claims"
Yeah, I just double quoted you to show how out of the race you were...
You just got served pretty hard. Sorry. You didn't have to be. :/

lol toph, that was some good popcorn eh? ;)

idea

Smash Master
edit: Man idea, your such a better person than me... but ya i agree with everything you said.
lol, thanks :awesome:

>_>
Nothing is obsolete LOL

Too much theory. It WORKS SOMETIMES and DOESN'T WORK OTHER TIMES
That's literally ALL there is to it.
lol
Make it up as you go is way funner and more effective than 'this is how it is nothing less nothing more'
Obviously though...
but yeah, thanks for input.

Mahone, what? hahah
"Pivot ftilt is garbage with puff...."
That was enough for me to say "refer to past experiences to justify your claims"
Yeah, I just double quoted you to show how out of the race you were...
You just got served pretty hard. Sorry. You didn't have to be. :/

lol toph, that was some good popcorn eh? ;)
obsolete doesn't mean useless <_< chopsticks are obsolete. i still use them sometimes, you know, when i'm in a japanese restaurant or something. but most of the time i use a fork because it's WAY BETTER AT DOING THE SAME JOB.

:bee:

as for make-it-up-as-you-go-tier stuff...dair on people's shield. the last hit goes through half the time. then do whatever jigglypuff bull**** you want.

Mahone

Smash Champion

obsolete doesn't mean useless <_< chopsticks are obsolete. i still use them sometimes, you know, when i'm in a japanese restaurant or something. but most of the time i use a fork because it's WAY BETTER AT DOING THE SAME JOB.

as for make-it-up-as-you-go-tier stuff...dair on people's shield. the last hit goes through half the time. then do whatever jigglypuff bull**** you want.
Lol, i said that to my chinese friend and got an hour long lecture and demonstration on why i was wrong.... while i still think forks are better... i have to admit, he made some good points and now i think of them more as DIFFERENT....

my point is... don't say that to someone from asia unless ur ready for a heated arguement.

blizzardbeam

Smash Cadet

I object to that notion. Chopsticks are amazing :bee:

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Guys I figured out a way to beat fox. Dash attack -> dash attack -> fair -> fair -> grab.

Works every time.
Trust me :)

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
hahaha. i love readnig multiple forums. Ive witnessed the exact same conversation twice today:

Bamesy: Bad advice
Everyone else: that was bad advice and you're probably bad.

then bamesy gets high and mighty and, instead of explaining why his idea was good, says everyone who doesn't agree with him is not only wrong, but also bad, not only at melee but at general self-improvement

Bamesy

Smash Ace
I actually prefer chop sticks for multiple reasons... but I know what you mean idea ;)

LOL Foxlist, so true.
I love how it turned out to be statistically accurate and correct when someone went searching for all that frame data (booooooring lol) stuff in the Falco boards
Worse was the way someone getting it was the only way it pleased them. Maybe there is more reasoning behind what I say than I intend, in which case sorry if it offends, it should not though.
Wonder what it will takes for Jiggsies. ;)
It is the internet and it is a game, try new things, it is good. Might be surprising. XD

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
...**** it, im just blocking you. have fun.

p.s. learn to read... it's a ****ing k at the end of my name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom