• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Will all professional touchpad CS players please raise your hands?

Anyone?

Anyone?!

My friend stopped using a touchpad to use a mouse and he's improved greatly, because he's not limited now.

Just do it.
You think I could get his ign to talk to him for a bit? :/

Have you tried a mouse with a track ball? That's a lot more similar to touch pad than a regular mouse. You might find switching to that easier because you are moving your fingers around 1 location to move instead of moving the whole mouse for movement.

I had to play with touchpad on my crappy old laptop for a few months, but after that I got my new desktop and made the switch to a regular mouse no prob
No I haven't tried that, but I've already invested money in a regular mouse that I'd like to use.

I can't tell if Dan is being serious O.o
I thought I told you and some others before. Not joking.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why would I joke about something as random as this?

Don't you guys wonder why I just stop moving sometimes? It's because I mess up right-clicking. LOL

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
or how he's made cait look like a very good carry the past 2 or 3 days :|
650 range auto-attack is really really imba during laning if you know what you're doing.

I may be speaking crazy here, but I will say I think Jiji is okay at this game.
as crazy as it sounds, I think you might be right. Jiji seems to be alright at League of Legends. =O

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Just bought Malphite to fill my jungle/off tank role.

Anyone have good builds/runesets/skill orders for maximally effective jungling w/ him?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
EWEQER -> R > E = Q > W

cloth + 5 hp pots

armor yellows
mres blues
mpen or attack speek reds
mpen or armor quints (hp work too, but double mpen is best for ganks and attack speed + armor is best jungling)

1/14/15
smite/ghost

blue -> wolves -> wraiths -> red -> gols is standard, but IMO it's better to go blue -> opponent's wraiths -> wolves -> wraiths -> red -> gols.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
What am I putting the 14/15 masteries in?

After max evasion and damage reduction from monsters, what do I put that last point in? Veteran's Scars or Hardened Skin?

And in utility tree I'm assuming I want max quickness over meditation.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
What am I putting the 14/15 masteries in?

After max evasion and damage reduction from monsters, what do I put that last point in? Veteran's Scars or Hardened Skin?

And in utility tree I'm assuming I want max quickness over meditation.
1 improved smite

3 armor
3 mres
3 strength of spirit
3 harden skin
2 defensive mastery

3 good hands
1 improved ghost
4 awareness
1 greed
1 meditation
2 utility mastery
3 quickness

evasion sucks giant donkey ****, most overrated mastery in the game, EZ.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I can't carry a team of scrubs, and that's why my ELO is falling even further :(

I honestly am beginning to think that ELO is just a judge of how well you can make up for the shortcomings of your team. I'd play Shen if I knew how due to how he can save people and keep the other team from snowballing but my Shen is absolutely terrible. Playing well just isn't enough it seems :c

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I can't carry a team of scrubs, and that's why my ELO is falling even further :(

I honestly am beginning to think that ELO is just a judge of how well you can make up for the shortcomings of your team. I'd play Shen if I knew how due to how he can save people and keep the other team from snowballing but my Shen is absolutely terrible. Playing well just isn't enough it seems :c
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=452151

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
nothing wrong with taking a game seriously, but I do agree with Leacero on this one, that sounds like a bit much. It sounds like you're trying to learn from solo queueing when you should probably take a step back, play some normal, preferably with higher rated players than you and treat it as a learning experience. stop fixating on the win/loss and start fixating on individual decisions you make and improving your understanding of the game.

Coney

Smash Master
i like this game but only when i'm playing via skype or something, playing with random people is way too difficult and frustrating and has a 50% chance of just making you waste at least a half-hour of your life

on the flip side, i find that WAYYY too many people care WAYYY too much about it. it feels like everyone's trying so hard to prove how much better they are than anyone else and blaming their team for anything and everything, it's a rich experience in delusion and projection. people are NUTS. i'm not really playing it seriously though, i'm very casual and find builds online and only play characters that seem cool

i also ****ing hate that everyone online uses "kid" as an insult

john!

Smash Hero
that thread is funny because the author was probably lucky enough to escape elo hell coincidentally at the same time he learned the basics of the game, and now thinks nobody down here knows the basics. i laugh whenever i hear a high elo player call someone "bad" because that "bad" player can almost always last-hit, ward, and have map awareness, which is very rare among people here at 1300 elo.

as an example: last ranked game i played, i was first pick and chose anivia (i rarely choose her anymore but i wanted to win badly). the next two choose lux and kassadin. they call me bad in champ select because i'm a tier list sheep (i've been maining anivia for 6 months). our yi jungled without smite and died twice. he also stole golem from me at least 3 times, my first golem was past the 30 minute mark. he called it an accident each time. the game was even until i got golem, then we won before 45 minutes. neither team warded baron or dragon. they did not have a jungler.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
that thread is funny because the author was probably lucky enough to escape elo hell coincidentally at the same time he learned the basics of the game, and now thinks nobody down here knows the basics. i laugh whenever i hear a high elo player call someone "bad" because that "bad" player can almost always last-hit, ward, and have map awareness, which is very rare among people here at 1300 elo.

as an example: last ranked game i played, i was first pick and chose anivia (i rarely choose her anymore but i wanted to win badly). the next two choose lux and kassadin. they call me bad in champ select because i'm a tier list sheep (i've been maining anivia for 6 months). our yi jungled without smite and died twice. he also stole golem from me at least 3 times, my first golem was past the 30 minute mark. he called it an accident each time. the game was even until i got golem, then we won before 45 minutes. neither team warded baron or dragon. they did not have a jungler.
i don't know what you're trying to prove... when this is the level of play you're surrounded by, having yourself (an allegedly competent player) is a massive advantage for your team and you should quickly rise.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I find that being really respectful and directing your team makes for easy wins at the low level.

I also think for people trying to climb out of that low ELO that they should realize that the most important piece of information in that thread is the veto rule. If your team thinks something else should be done even if you know its wrong, follow them because you need to back them up as a team. Walking around in a 5 with a competent player is going to damage the other team signifigantly worse then you taking your time soling dragon because it is technically the right thing to do.

john!

Smash Hero
if you know fundamentals and have the desire to advance, there's absolutely no excuse for being sub 1400.
hmm okay, maybe you're right. so assuming the other 9 players contribute 5% win chance and 5% loss chance to my odds, and i contribute 10% win chance by playing absolutely perfectly, that gives me 55% win chance, meaning 10 more wins than losses over 100 games. each win gives 10 elo. so i have to break 1400? see you after i play another 100 ranked games flawlessly! if i don't quit entirely first!

you high elo players don't have a ****ing clue. sorry to be blunt. you have never experienced this.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
you high elo players don't have a ****ing clue. sorry to be blunt. you have never experienced this.
uhg, I was going to respond about how we all started at 1200 and how I've climbed up from <1400 to 1500+ multiple times on multiple accounts, but it's just not worth it. I simply cannot convince you of what I'm saying. All I'll say is that as a High Elo player, it's pretty darn insulting when people belittle your accomplishment by complaining about how luck and Elo Hell are what's holding them back.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I see a lot of different letters on this page, but I'm pretty sure they all boil down to just one:

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Frolossus

Smash Lord
hmm okay, maybe you're right. so assuming the other 9 players contribute 5% win chance and 5% loss chance to my odds, and i contribute 10% win chance by playing absolutely perfectly, that gives me 55% win chance, meaning 10 more wins than losses over 100 games. each win gives 10 elo. so i have to break 1400? see you after i play another 100 ranked games flawlessly! if i don't quit entirely first!

disagree, strongly
i am definitely not high elo yet and i have been as low as 800 elo before
depending on what role you fill on your team you have a higher or lower % influence to the outcome of the match, jungling i think we can all agree on has the most influence on solo queue games because it can easily allow your team to snowball hard after a few successful ganks
basically play a strong jungler(read shaco) and carry early game for the first half an hour so your team can win later on

It also has to do with the number of games you play, i didn't start winning enough games to break 1200 until i had played 220 games, you need to play a lot and pick a strong early/mid game champion and your elo will increase

john!

Smash Hero
sorry if i came across that way, i'm not saying that high elo players don't deserve to be there (the odds of getting carried there are really low), but there are a lot of good players who simply are in a rut due to the team nature of this game. i'm by no means the only one, there are players at my level that play much better than me and are clearly below their elo. i think i'm going to try hard carrying my elo up with only my best characters and see what happens.

jpak

Smash Lord
Since LoL is so team based, having the knowledge and desire will not advance when you are surrounded with others that do not.

It is also easier to advance on new accounts as you have knowledge now that you did not on your first account. Also, LoL's rating weighs heavily on the first 50 games where you gain a lot of rating from 20 to even 150 if you duo with someone higher per game. So if you start out bad in your first 50 its not easy afterwards.

Idiots are in the higher rating too no doubt about it, I've played with plenty, but the number and extent is nowhere near the same in lower ratings.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I disagree, anyone with have a brain contributes more to the team then people who contribute nothing at all.

If you ward baron yourself, And the other team goes for it, and your team helps you gank them, you guys steal baron, push take inhib and win

Look what youve just done for the game. what would have happened if they got baron?

jpak

Smash Lord
Right because people do baron without oracle, vision ward, or warding entrants that the team will come from. And what if my team dies going for baron, and then we lose, it goes both ways.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Elo Hell? It's more like

In the 1230-1400 elo range, you will find a lot of players who have only recently started to play ranked and haven't had the elo adjusted through 'losses' to get to where they deserve, and they have no idea how to play. Like really have no idea how to play - i.e. "No idea what over extending is" (map awareness, etc etc). They also lack experience to understand how situations will pave out most likely.

Also people with computer or internet issues or 'rage quitters' may find themselves around this elo. People who are just 50/50 in whether or not they'll even bother to play a game are already situating themselves to a low-ish elo.

While people disconnecting and maybe even sometimes rage quitting exist at every elo, you will find that there is a higher percentage of that happening in that elo bracket than outside it. A (magic number) 15% chance someone in a game will **** over a team compared to 3-5% is noticeable, and it does ruin games.

However, these are meant to be rare stints (though in personal experience I've gone through like 5-6 games in a row with this >.<), and that elo bracket is strongly dictated by that chance.

I'm pretty low elo, and i've played a quadrillion ranked games (Dekar would be proud), but I can smell a victory a mile away. Generally:
1. Get first blood as a jungler after advising someone 'how this will go down'. After this success, you'll find your entire team will listen to you, and do what you say.
2. You get 3 dragons in a row due to team leadership
3. You get a tower within the first 10 minutes.

This elo is all about rising up to CEO and General Manager of your random team. When you get 'lucky' enough to get that promotion you breeeezeeeeeeee through games.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I.... I honestly haven't played this many horrible games in quite some time. I keep winning. I keep ******. I keep destroying the person in my lane, moving to the next lane and destroying the next person, and doing everything possible to help my team while still farming.... But I've lost every game.

I went 7/0 with GP utterly destroying two lanes. Lost the game because nobody on my team had any semblance of skill. I went 12/2 with Gragas in the first 20 minutes... Lost the game. Rinse and repeat for like 5 of my last GP/Grag games. I've never had so many of these games in a row....

**** it, next game I play I'm just choosing random. I don't care anymore.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I.... I honestly haven't played this many horrible games in quite some time. I keep winning. I keep ******. I keep destroying the person in my lane, moving to the next lane and destroying the next person, and doing everything possible to help my team while still farming.... But I've lost every game.

I went 7/0 with GP utterly destroying two lanes. Lost the game because nobody on my team had any semblance of skill. I went 12/2 with Gragas in the first 20 minutes... Lost the game. Rinse and repeat for like 5 of my last GP/Grag games. I've never had so many of these games in a row....

**** it, next game I play I'm just choosing random. I don't care anymore.
Too many eespias in solo queue.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Well I decided I'm just gonna Jungle Shaco tryhard/tell people what to do in a nice way to getway up in rank.

I KNOW I'm better than where I am. When I first got to level 30 I had no idea what I was doing (like the previously mentioned scenario went) and just played a bunch of games effectively derping around. I found out through playing generally what to do and not do. Sooo yeah. In solo queue assuming a leadership role allows you to do better than just going "errbody is bad. ima get kills as my aweshum ranged dps and win. hurderrp". I just won my first Alistar game with the most unlikely of teams purely because I started giving orders when everyone else was derping around. We came back from being down 7 kills by 15 mins and three towers. Due to my leadership we went roaming and attacked ONLY characters that I predetermined and initiated on. And we won effortlessly after the initial teamfight at dragon no one else wanted to do but me but I made them anyway and the mid tower. From there it was a matter of telling people what to do and how to do their role(which is sad but I made it more subtle than "Do this cause I said so.") People respond to kindness.

TL;DR - Kindness and Assuming a leadership role wins games more than just "getting kills and getting fed"

Top Bottom