• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i wish i could help but the only icies i ever play is fly amanita...and that's not often so he devestates me :( or he switches characters and devestates me :(

Rat

Smash Lord
Lol the last kill was awesome. Get-up attack into NanaUpsmash. Sex.

Right now I think the match-up is like somewhere between 60-40 samus and even. I've only played midwest Icies though.

Anyways here's some random thoughts about the ICs match-up:
- Samus can **** the pants of nana.
-You did a good job countering the standard icie approach. CCing jabs, spacing out grabs. Good stuff.
- UpB is really good against them. Separates nana. Puts them in the air.
-I saw you make some bad choices when you missed with the UpB. Almost allways choose to land on a platform. You are basically trying to avoid getting grabbed. Taking 10-25% from Uairs is much better than being grabbed. (Try to edgecancel too if you can, as they can still Waveland grab.)
-Bombs are actually pretty good against them. Most of their approach is WD in.
-Double Ice block beats Missile.
-JC missile shot a little above the iceblock will hit ICs in their lag. (requires the right spacing)
-Bomb beats double iceblock.
-Single Iceblock trades with JC missile (but you end up with frame advantage.)
-Considering this, single popo has to space you out. (Ie get into their WDin jab/grab/dsmash range.) So be very careful when you JCmissile as you create an opening.
-Against single po, spaced ftilts and jabs work wonders. Mix in grab for some more win.
(Btw I loved all the grabbing. grab is sexy.)
-If single po tries to recover with OverB, just crouch cancel it (you can do it to like 140% (i made that number up but it is a really high percentage.)) then dsmash/fsmash where appropriate.
-If both Icies recover with OverB try to avoid/outprioritize it. You can only CC it at very low percentages. (And there are more hitboxes with nana so essentially it has less lag.)
-Jumping from the edge is pretty safe.
-My general gameplan against them is
1) Win the projectile war -> approach
2) Shield one of their moves and upB. Crush them while separated.
3) Space out popo with tilts, grabs and standing missiles.
4) Also camp platforms until you can get a missile approach.
-If you get grabbed and they will try the Dair regrab. DI away and dj.
-When fighting for space or in a tight spot, Spot dodging can be risky as they can desync dsmash it every time.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
*awesome advice*
Thanks a ton. I figured I should've tried to Up B more, and yeah, I have a tendency to fastfall through platforms when I miss an Up B due to it being better on most other characters. Obviously not against icies though!

I love to grab ICs lol. It's surprisingly good considering Samus' grab range. I also love to abuse charge shot, since it'll almost always hit one of them no matter when you shoot.

Anyway I'll keep all this in mind, I think it's a pretty cool matchup overall (though it's not often I get to play it...)

EDIT: @ above, haha. Sadly Rainbow Cruise isn't allowed. =(

Violence

Smash Lord
You remind me of how I used to play before I graduated college this summer and started playing in tournaments, we share a lot of the same bad habits.

I'm really bad at the Falco matchup, so here are just some general tips.

Homing missile at him right after hitting him off the stage, it has a much better chance of hitting him.

But more than anything...

1. Jump less.

Samus is a very grounded character, and there are few matches where her aerials will just win the game. Falco can often rip you apart if you approach him from above, so jumping to approach is generally bad. You want to stay on your feet, because your tilts and smashes have longer range than Falcos. It looks like you aren't very mobile right now, so the next thing I would recommend is...

2. Move more

It may seem kinda trivial, but adding more movement into your game makes it harder to predict what you're going to do. Get used to moving faster by practicing a little bit regularly. The simple pattern of dash dance->wavedash->dash dance->wavedash is a good way to improve on your movement speed. Finally...

3. Shield, and Up B out of it

You don't shield very much against Falco, and he ends up just tearing you apart when he gets in closer to you. If you shield, and he hits your shield with an aerial, slam an up B and it resets the momentum, making him regret approaching you.

That's all the advice I've got, I think it's plenty to work on. That Falco's definitely beatable, just practice a bit, improve, and get@him.

DeVoe

Smash Rookie
hey firstly thanks for the comments, i've been practicing on my movement a lot today so that's getting a tad better. i made the attempt to stay grounded as well.

well sunuva...i played my falco buddy again tonight, and got my arse royally destroyed...(well maybe not royally, i'd say i lost 60% of the matches). but i can't seem to find a decent way to approach falco...so i just end up dashing him and getting shield grabbed. and or i try and bait him to attack my shield so i can upB but then just get dash grabbed. frustration frustration frustration :glare::glare::glare:

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
move around in between lasers a lot
and try to stay near him; not near enough that he can get you, but near enough that you're putting pressure on him
i think your tech skill has to be precise too

Pi

Smash Hero
#1 important thing to remember when fightin falco is that your almost never at a % deficit
dun get frustrated, just play cowardly till he messes up n punish hard

abcool

Smash Ace
hey firstly thanks for the comments, i've been practicing on my movement a lot today so that's getting a tad better. i made the attempt to stay grounded as well.

well sunuva...i played my falco buddy again tonight, and got my arse royally destroyed...(well maybe not royally, i'd say i lost 60% of the matches). but i can't seem to find a decent way to approach falco...so i just end up dashing him and getting shield grabbed. and or i try and bait him to attack my shield so i can upB but then just get dash grabbed. frustration frustration frustration :glare::glare::glare:
Your Falco friend plays like my falco friend before he turned all campy lmao. I learn to get around it though. First off just keep walking up on him and hitting with the tip of your ftilt. He's gonna stop shooting lasers because he is then trading hits with u. He'll probably try to approach after that point with dairs or nair..If he nairs and u are at a low percent, just Crouch Cancel dmash before he shines. If he tries with a dair shield and upb. When he is approaching to grab u just dodge and dsmash right away. I hope u use the c-stick it helps alot to buffer some moves out of dodge.

Charge Beam Stuff.
Grab him at about 50% and upthrow, if he DI's left or right jump up and shoot hit. He can't dodge or shine or anything, he has to take the beam. Then just edgeguard with utilt. He'll always get on with a dair or jump on or something, learn to read the ways he gets back on stage and wavedash back to fsmash or something. Remember ftilt him alot when he is within range. Go on training mode and go against falco and see how far out samus leg can stretch and then use that distance to space between u and his lasers, don't be afraid to take hits from the laser though. Remember to CC alot vs spacies and see how it works. Trading hits is a good way to use samus at low percents.

Violence

Smash Lord
Ah, he dash grabs you.

This is a problem of spacing.

When you're in shield, you want Falco to aerial you, so to encourage that, you want to stay at around one Falco shorthop aerial distance away. If you see him running toward you instead of short hopping, you can react to it by wavedashing out of shield(something to practice), and forward tilting him. That forward tilt clears the space, and makes him more likely to short hop aerial you.

Just remember that once he hits your shield with an aerial, up B to the heavens... and follow up.

Geist

Smash Master
Small stages generally means less edgeguarding opportunities, but Falco's recovery sucks lol
Gimp with walk off nairs and shiz

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, could you spare some time to critique a video or two so that I may become the best in the world with my chocolate Samus?

(or being a bit more realistic, the best in my country)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stpBhPuwA8g
(Vs. Falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0Vesni1uE
(Vs. Fox)

I realize the sets are long as ****, so I guess it might not be a bad idea to just watch the first match in each set or something. I feel like I generally know what to improve on, but I'm still feeling a bit limited so I think perhaps I'm missing some new ideas to implement into my game or something.

Anyway any critique would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: To clarify, while they are both matches vs. space animals, I'm open for critique in general, but I guess I'm starting to find the space animal matchup a bit harder than I used to, so general match-up advice is appreciated too.

abcool

Smash Ace
Hey guys, could you spare some time to critique a video or two so that I may become the best in the world with my chocolate Samus?

(or being a bit more realistic, the best in my country)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stpBhPuwA8g
(Vs. Falco)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0Vesni1uE
(Vs. Fox)

I realize the sets are long as ****, so I guess it might not be a bad idea to just watch the first match in each set or something. I feel like I generally know what to improve on, but I'm still feeling a bit limited so I think perhaps I'm missing some new ideas to implement into my game or something.

Anyway any critique would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: To clarify, while they are both matches vs. space animals, I'm open for critique in general, but I guess I'm starting to find the space animal matchup a bit harder than I used to, so general match-up advice is appreciated too.
Dude first thing; first is UTILT edgeguard spacies. I never seen u even once use it. Secondly ya falco friend play like my annoying falco friend. I haven't uploaded new vids with us playing, but there styles are similar and the bad part is u do the samething i used to do.

Vs THAT Falco. CC at early percents and trade hits. He can't shine u off the ground at early percents. Run up in his face more and shield and once he dodge up-b oos (You wanna bait the dodge btw) Third is throw him off and watch his recovery habits. If he likes to illusion to the ledge; low angled ftilt usually works, but follow it up quick and use homing missiles when u smash him offstage. I know it's tough, but learn to powershield atleast sometimes. It'll throw his game off alot. I ga post a vid of my friend right now to show u the similarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiNDGEGpX6M

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
I'm usually pretty good with utilting to edgeguard spacies, but I think I messed up in those matches haha. I realize it's really good though, so thanks for reminding me. I do it in the match vs. Fox, and heartbreakingly, I miss an obvious utilt edgeguard in one of the later matches that basically cost me the match. :(

Run up in his face more and shield and once he dodge up-b oos (You wanna bait the dodge btw)
Not sure what you mean by this. Generally, it seems like most Falcos jump through your shield with a dair/nair and run away to camp more. While I realize UpB is a ridicolously effective tool, you're not threatening him in any way by running up and shielding so I'm not sure how you'd bait a spotdodge from that.

Either way I appreciate the input and I'll take a look at your vid. :)

I'm reminded that I have a hard time getting back on stage when I'm on the edge (see the end of the first match vs. Falco for a good example). What do you generally find to be the safest way? I had a bad habit of rolling onto the stage for a while which everyone picked up on, so I try to refrain from doing that too much now.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I'm usually pretty good with utilting to edgeguard spacies, but I think I messed up in those matches haha. I realize it's really good though, so thanks for reminding me. I do it in the match vs. Fox, and heartbreakingly, I miss an obvious utilt edgeguard in one of the later matches that basically cost me the match. :(

Not sure what you mean by this. Generally, it seems like most Falcos jump through your shield with a dair/nair and run away to camp more. While I realize UpB is a ridicolously effective tool, you're not threatening him in any way by running up and shielding so I'm not sure how you'd bait a spotdodge from that.

I'm reminded that I have a hard time getting back on stage when I'm on the edge (see the end of the first match vs. Falco for a good example). What do you generally find to be the safest way? I had a bad habit of rolling onto the stage for a while which everyone picked up on, so I try to refrain from doing that too much now.
I use bombs to fake out the opponent then up b.

abcool

Smash Ace

When i said that i mean like this. I notice when u go for a dash grab he spot dodges and then shines you or something. Instead of dash and grabbing, dash and shield in his face, he'll think u are trying to grab and get faked out. The quickest attack u have from that is up-b oos. I was just showing u a good mindgame to use on opponents that like to wait on samus laggy grab and how to suprise em.

As for recovering on stage. Yes, use your bombs and save your second jump. go for the ledge and try stutter step recover like what Hugs does or waveland onto the stage into shield or into anything really. Mix it up and keep em guessing.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Ah, alright. Thanks for clarifying, I do love Samus' grab.

I feel like I usually get a swift bair to the face whenever I try to waveland onto the stage before I can shield... I'll keep the rest of it in mind though, thanks a lot for taking your time to respond. :) I'm still open to advice if anyone feels like having a go at the rest of the matches or something.

abcool

Smash Ace
Only recover with wavelands when they camp platforms. On dreamland for example. When he hop on the platform and drop to bair you. You could have wavelanded under him into shield and up-b oos or something. Remember u want falco and fox to jump alot and get under them. Hugs taught me some tricks and since then it just improved my game by a alot.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Run up in his face more and shield and once he dodge up-b oos (You wanna bait the dodge btw)
I can't help but feel that this is terrible advice. Samus has like the worst oos options in the entire higher tier (only upb is remotely good). Why would you walk close to them and shield, giving up alot of your mobility and spacing-potenial in the hopes that he will spotdodge? Falco can just run away or space his **** so your upb won't hit. Even when you actually DO hit, he can potentially DI out of the up-b and end up damaging you more than you manage him.

abcool

Smash Ace
I can't help but feel that this is terrible advice. Samus has like the worst oos options in the entire higher tier (only upb is remotely good). Why would you walk close to them and shield, giving up alot of your mobility and spacing-potenial in the hopes that he will spotdodge? Falco can just run away or space his **** so your upb won't hit. Even when you actually DO hit, he can potentially DI out of the up-b and end up damaging you more than you manage him.
The advice was giving to fight THAT falco. besides i said it was more of a mindgame than anything. When u fight falco's as samus u wanna be CLOSE to him not far away. If you stay away from falco he will spam u to death with laser's. That falco will never approach.

Didn't he say he was open to advice from everyone. You should tell him how to handle the matchup instead of worrying about the advice i give him. I win against falco now, an that actually works for me, because my falco friend loves to spotdodge and there is nothing else i can do oos. Also Samus has the best oos option in the game imo. Idk where u got ya sources from, but spacies have it hard DIng out of upb this ain't a floaty ya know.

Pi

Smash Hero
samus OoS game does suck
but not vs. spacies shield pressure
vs. their shield pressure it's amazing

Navn

Smash Apprentice
@3: So you're agreeing that running up and shielding is a good thing? It might be decent against breaking mindless shield pressure, but that shouldn't occur anyway. Spaced shieldpressure is where it's at against Samus as a spacie, if you ask me.

@abcool: These are discussion boards, and just because he takes advice from anyone doesn't mean i can't dispute your opinion. My "sources" about the OoS options of Samus comes from personal experience. While i do agree that the screw attack can be pretty good, i think the fact that it's the only reliable attacking option out of shield for Samus, and that it's sooo punishable on a miss makes her OoS pretty weak. I'm guessing some backwards wavedashing OoS could work, but that's pretty slow.

Personally, i don't think it's too hard to DI out of upB. I usually do it a few times each set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0Vesni1uE#t=1m48s

abcool

Smash Ace
@3: So you're agreeing that running up and shielding is a good thing? It might be decent against breaking mindless shield pressure, but that shouldn't occur anyway. Spaced shieldpressure is where it's at against Samus as a spacie, if you ask me.

@abcool: These are discussion boards, and just because he takes advice from anyone doesn't mean i can't dispute your opinion. My "sources" about the OoS options of Samus comes from personal experience. While i do agree that the screw attack can be pretty good, i think the fact that it's the only reliable attacking option out of shield for Samus, and that it's sooo punishable on a miss makes her OoS pretty weak. I'm guessing some backwards wavedashing OoS could work, but that's pretty slow.

Personally, i don't think it's too hard to DI out of upB. I usually do it a few times each set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q0Vesni1uE#t=1m48s
Do you main samus? I see you using fox and i would think you would rather go fox vs hard opponents than use her. Also if you read it well enough i said THAT FALCO. Unless those bold letters don't mean anything. I said it was more of a mindgame than anything, which is kinda telling him (situational at best) . Nothing used in smash is concrete in my opinion. I also stated that instead of saying *Ohh i don't think that is a good idea.*(Adds no alternative means of accomplishing said objective) You should be like *oh orn, maybe the up-b oos isn't a good idea in your situation *TRY THIS* That is what i am saying. I don't wanna debate or discuss stuff unless it is helpful to samus mains.

Also this thread is the critique my videos thread, NOT disagree with someone's advice and add nothing helpful to the topic.

Another ex. Is Hugs, he always mindgame spacies into up-b. Sometimes he would shield in your face and when u drop said shield or try to act out of it; up-b to the face, so i know i am not wrong.

Edit:DI'ing out of up-b is hard when u play version 1.0 which i have btw.

Pi

Smash Hero

in most cases you aren't going to be running anywhere vs. falco

he should have you significantly locked down with lasers, and your only form of locomotion is going to be shielding, and wavedashing out of it, or wavelanding accross platforms.

in which case your goal is to close the gap between you and the pesky bird peppering you with lasers. Not shielding really doesn't come up tbh, when should you not be shielding vs. a lasering falco? the only time i'm not shielding is when i've forced him toward the edge, and made him jump over or through me or something like that

running up and shielding is as viable as any other form of approach imo, as long as you don't become predictable with it, in place of shield you could jab, ftilt, dsmash, or anything else

it all comes down to how you think your opponent will respond to your approach, it's not fair to count out one form of approach as bad because it can be countered, because they can all be countered

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I main Fox, and i was just making a small comment about your statement. I think that's adding to the discussion, but let's leave that be!

After watching some Samus vs spacies it does indeed seem like a valid option, but i'm only asking whether being in a shield next to a space-animal is a situation you should WANT to be in? Especially against Falco (probably less against Fox, idk), as 3 is saying, you are no doubt going to end close to him in your shield - but wouldn't it be better to make him do something which you can react to, rather than hampering your own possibilities by actively trying to get into a disadvantageous position? I mean, trying to play reactively instead of running up, shielding and hoping that he won't beat your *** for it.

But yeah, about the OoS options, i'd say that Up-B should be used situationally (like you point out), while wavedashing seems like a far more valid choice, since this gives you back your spacing tools like the ftilt and CC. I'm just a Fox main, so i might be wrong on this.

About the lasers, which is pointed out earlier, you really want to learn to powershield pretty consistently, especially against Falco. It helps sooo much and makes the Falco really confused if you're good enough at it. At worst, it forces him to think about laser-altitude and faking out lasers, which ends up making him an easier opponent and takes alot off alot of pressure.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I main Fox, and i was just making a small comment about your statement. I think that's adding to the discussion, but let's leave that be!

After watching some Samus vs spacies it does indeed seem like a valid option, but i'm only asking whether being in a shield next to a space-animal is a situation you should WANT to be in? Especially against Falco (probably less against Fox, idk), as 3 is saying, you are no doubt going to end close to him in your shield - but wouldn't it be better to make him do something which you can react to, rather than hampering your own possibilities by actively trying to get into a disadvantageous position? I mean, trying to play reactively instead of running up, shielding and hoping that he won't beat your *** for it.

But yeah, about the OoS options, i'd say that Up-B should be used situationally (like you point out), while wavedashing seems like a far more valid choice, since this gives you back your spacing tools like the ftilt and CC. I'm just a Fox main, so i might be wrong on this.

About the lasers, which is pointed out earlier, you really want to learn to powershield pretty consistently, especially against Falco. It helps sooo much and makes the Falco really confused if you're good enough at it. At worst, it forces him to think about laser-altitude and faking out lasers, which ends up making him an easier opponent and takes alot off alot of pressure.
This is 100% right.

Geist

Smash Master
Hmm

If you want my honest opinion, at the level he's at right now, Lcancelling with Samus isn't a necessity (no disrespect of course, haha). In fact, during that entire match I could count the amount of times where he actually had the opportunity to L cancel on one hand.
But the fact remains that L cancelling is the single most useful tool in the entire game, and if he's planning on calling himself a good player at any point in the future, he's going to have to learn it. Simple as that.

As for now, general advice would be to increase his mobility. He has the common bad habit of throwing out moves from a fixed position (For example, 6 attacks in a row from the same position. That's 5 seconds for you to line up a move and punish him. Against a higher level player, that mistake easily costs an entire stock). This is probably the single most limiting habit he has right now, especially against Fox.

He needs to work on that recovery, grapple specifically.
Double jumping after being hit is a bad habit. If you're hit high, Samus can recover with bomb jumps just fine, and he's much better off saving that double jump for when he needs it.
He needs to sweetspot the ledge too.

Closing words, don't let him limit himself because of an unwillingness to learn what's proven to be effective. Creating your own unwritten rules only stifles your own opportunities. Improvement comes with not only learning from your own experiences, but from knowledge gained from others that have already learned through the same trial and error. Why not take what they've already discovered and apply it, rather than start from scratch only to come to the same conclusion?

Pi

Smash Hero
it's hard to convince someone to learn to L cancel
The drive to want to get better really has to be there
since you won't notice much improvement in your game right off the bat
But anyone who knows how to L cancel will tell you how much it helps their gameplay, it's literally like playing a faster version of the game.

I did see him wavedash OoS a couple of times, so he knows how to do it

If he doesn't want to get better at the game, nothing can be done

If he does want to get better at the game, then you need to start beating him 100% of the time, to motivate him

Violence

Smash Lord
>_>

Wanna know a secret?

I miss about 75% of my L-Cancels.

And I'm still working on wavedashing.

You can get pretty far in Melee without those things, but they do help a ton.

I mean, Samus's aerials don't have all that much lag to begin with, and you can autocancel them pretty well too.

Pi

Smash Hero
'pretty far' is subjective

not L canceling is one thing, as you don't really follow up many of your aerials with anything
it'll get you punished if you attack shields more if the player is good

but wavedashing is another story entirely
marth & falcon should absolutely wreck you if you can't WD OoS well
and i'm sure some others but those two in particular come to mind

Geist

Smash Master
>_>

Wanna know a secret?

I miss about 75% of my L-Cancels.

And I'm still working on wavedashing.

You can get pretty far in Melee without those things, but they do help a ton.

I mean, Samus's aerials don't have all that much lag to begin with, and you can autocancel them pretty well too.
Wanna know a secret?
I miss you Eric

abcool

Smash Ace
Good stuff duck...winning with samus only lol..sometimes i have to change to fight shieks, they just to gey here. I like how u handle marth though. Again, good stuff. imma try samus only one of these days..even against sheik >.>

Rat

Smash Lord
duck our styles are way too different. You definitely has "it" though. (Could be called yomi, knowing, flow, or whatever.) Learned some new things watching. For example: I'm way too hesitant to just do stuff, and would much rather wait for an opportunity. Dart says it as you go harder than I do. I'll critique when I'm not eagerly waiting p5 results.

W8 you don't do only samus? There is another way?

abcool

Smash Ace
duck out styles are way too different. You definitely has "it" though. (Could be called yomi, knowing, flow, or whatever.) Learned some new things watching. For example: I'm way too hesitant to just do stuff, and would much rather wait for an opportunity. Dart puts it as you go harder than I do. I'll critique when I'm not eagerly waiting p5 results.

W8 you don't do only samus? There is another way?
I just use fox and camp them to death on dreamland. I also have a nice marth, but i hardly use samus vs sheik.... Sheiks here aren't tope thank god, so i don't have to worry about a great tech chase, but the follow ups are a pain to deal with and gimping my recovery hurts.

I used to main marth and fox before, but i picked up samus cause my friend stop playing and thought fox was too good, in proving a point that samus can win, i feel in love with the character and i now main her, so my tech skill wasn't so bad when i first picked her up.

Top Bottom